Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Legacies - Part Two

by Danjanshippyqueen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Legacies - Part Two

Legacies - Part Two

by danjanshippyqueen

Summary: Takes place over and after Meridian, branching into an AU after Abyss.
Category: Angst, Romance
Episode Related: 521 Meridian
Season: any Season
Pairing: Daniel/Janet
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 05/01/03

3 MONTHS LATER

Janet was sitting in her office, mentally going over the last 4 months or so. It had been a hectic time for her. In the space of two weeks, she gained a boyfriend and lost a `soul mate'. A few weeks after that, the three people in the world she was closest to had almost died. The SGC had gained itself another resident genius in the form of Jonas `I have a photographic memory' Quinn. Janet tried her hardest not to like him, but she was finding it difficult. The rest of the time had been pretty uneventful. Except or the hunt for SG-1's fourth member. More often than not the candidates were ending up under her care. Sam told her that O'Neill had even at one point thrown Janet's name in the ring for the position with a dig to Hammond about the new recruit. `Hell, I'd rather have the doc than this bunch of misfits.' But she knew this line of thought was just procrastination. She had to do it, and she had to do it now.

Sam frowned as she entered the bathroom, she could hear crying. There was only one cubicle door closed. She looked underneath to see a pair of heels that could belong to only one woman on the base,

"Janet? Are you ok?" She knew it was a pretty dumb question. If she was ok, why would she be sitting in the women's toilets crying her eyes out. She heard some sniffing, obviously an attempt by Janet to regain some composure.

"I'm fine."

"Yeah, and I'm dating Siler. Open up." Ok, she had been hanging around Jack for far too long. She heard the look click and the door swung open to reveal her friend sitting puffy-eyed on the closed lid. Sam didn't really know what else to do, so she just enveloped her friend in a big hug. "Is it Daniel?" Sam asked, breaking the embrace to see her friends' reaction to the question.

"How did you.....I mean, we didn't tell anyone." She was saying through the tears, Sam smiled a little,

"I found some of your stuff when we were clearing out his apartment." Janet seemed to accept that. "Don't worry, the guys didn't see it." She added as an afterthought.

"Thanks."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"I don't know." She answered, it was half truth, she knew a lot of reasons why she didn't say anything, she just couldn't decide which one it was.

"What's got you so upset all of a sudden. I thought you were doing ok with this." She didn't quite know how to answer that question, so she just thrust it into Sam's hands. The positive pregnancy test she was holding in her hands. Sam looked at the object. It took a minute to register the significance of it. "Oh god." This made the tears stream from Janet's eyes again. Sam just hugged her again, hoping to god that nature didn't call to anyone on this level. When her friend was all cried out. Sam helped her up. "Come on, I'm putting you to bed." Janet pulled away from her, wiping her eyes.

"I......I can't, I'm still on duty." She said hesitantly.

"Not anymore you're not. You're in no fit state to work. You look shattered, you need some rest."

"Who the hell are you to tell me what I am and what I need." She spat.

"I'm your friend, Janet. I care about you."

"I'm sorry, I.......it's just......."

"It's ok, come on." Sam put a supportive arm around the smaller woman, who looked like she was about to keel over. The two majors attracted some strange looks from the base personnel, but Sam glowered at them and they soon scampered off. After what seemed like an eternity, they finally reached Janet's quarters, which were thankfully on the same level. Sam watched as her friend lay down and curled up into a ball, covering herself in the blankets. Almost as soon as her head hit the pillow she was out for the count. Sam picked up the phone a dialled General Hammond.

"Hammond."

"Sir, it's Major Carter."

"What can I do for you major?"

"Sir, you'd better call Dr. Warner in."

"Dr. Warner, why, is there a problem?"

"I'm not sure yet sir, Dr. Fraiser's, um, not feeling to well. She asleep just now, I'm gonna stay with her a while in case she needs anything."

"I see, don't worry major. I'll see to it."

"Thank you sir."

Sam sat in an almost trance like state. It had been a few hours. She was startled when Janet jerked awake. She looked around, Sam could only imagine what, or should that be who, she was looking for.

"Hey, it's ok." Sam said taking her friends hand. "It's ok." Janet seemed to wake up properly.

"I'm sorry." She said, Sam frowned.

"For what?"

"Everything. You shouldn't have to go through all of this with me." She said quietly, sitting up.

"You're my best friend, there's no way you're going to have to do this yourself." Sam said squeezing her hand. "What are you going to do?" She asked. Janet frowned, unsure of what she meant. "About the baby." Janet laid a hand protectively over her stomach.

"I'm keeping it." She said resolutely, "How can you even ask me that?"

"I didn't mean that. I didn't think......I meant......it doesn't matter. How far along are you?"

"Three and a half months."

"You're sure?" Janet nodded in response.

"We, uh, we only......we were only seeing each other for a couple of weeks."

"Oh."

"I better get back to work." She said getting up to leave. Sam grabbed her hand again.

"It's ok, I called the General. Dr. Warner's in."

"You called the General? What did you tell him?" She asked worriedly.

"Don't worry. I just told him you weren't feeling to well. I didn't think you'd want me to tell him, I mean I wasn't sure if you wanted him to know or........I didn't think it was my place to tell him."

"Thanks." Sam smiled.

"It's ok. Are you gonna tell him?"

"Who?"

"The General."

"I have to. But just not yet. I need some time." She said uncertainly.

"You're going to have to tell Cassie. Soon."

"I know. I'll tell her." Sam took her hand,

"You must have know before this."

"I...I don't know. I thought it was just, because I was missing him, and then I began to wonder. I guess I didn't want to admit it. I'm scared." Her eyes began to fill up again. Sam hugged her friend, unsure of what to say, of how to make it better. "I miss him."

"Me too." Janet pulled away, "I really should just go back to the infirmary." Sam smiled at the determination of her friend.

"OK. Seems like you just can't stay away from the place."

The next day, Sam went to check on her friend before she headed to her lab, she knocked on the open door to the office.

"Hey." She greeted.

"Hey." Came the cheerful response. "Here to check up on me already?" Janet joked.

"No." Came the indignant reply. "Well, yes, but, I just wanted to make sure that you were ok." She smiled, Janet smiled back.

"I'm fine. I told Cassie." Sam was a bit taken a back.

"What'd she say?"

"Nothing really, I guess there wasn't really much to say. She just hugged me and told me not to expect her to baby-sit all the time." Janet laughed.

"Yeah, that sounds like Cassie." There was a long pause. "I'll see you at the briefing."

"Yeah." And with that Sam spun around and left, happy at seeing her friend coping with the situation.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to danjanshippyqueen