Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Double Trouble-Part 7

by Dani
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Double Trouble-Part 7

Double Trouble-Part 7

by Dani

Summary: The camping trip doesn't go as planned. Jack deals with the thought that Sam may not wake up. Will she or will she not, that is the question
Category: Action/Adventure, Romance, Series, Other
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/28/03

Double Trouble-Part 7

"Carter grab that end of the pole, this thing won't stay up," Jack yelled over to the girl.

She rushed over from the small flames she called a campfire. "You're the one who bought it." Together they soon had the contraption up. "Good grief it is hot! Isn't there a lake around here?"

"Yes, just down that road," he points. "There are boats too. Thinking about taking a dip?"

"Yep, wanna join me?" she goes into the tent after her small bag.

"Sure, but if the water is cold you will be building the bon-fire!" he shook a finger and followed her.

Minutes later she emerged and he went into change. Coming out in no time. They raced each other to the lake. Jack won and he boasted by running around her once she arrived. Later on she got her revenge.

He sat on the edge of the pier with a few other people, absorbing the warm sun. Carrie pulled herself up on the floating raft. Some saw her and she held a finger over her mouth to hush them. Thinking of how to push him in without going in herself and finally settling on pulling him in. Lowering herself back into the water she dove under the floating pier. Jack was on the end so she knew which legs were his. Tugging gentling at first to alert him. He yanked but she didn't let go. She watched him lean over the side cautiously and she pulled as hard as she could. Toppling over into the water before he could react. All the people on the pier burst into laugher. Both surfaced and he gasped for air.

"Who?" he had his back to her.

All those laughing shut up and pointed to the smiling teen behind him.

"Carter!" he yelled swimming to her.

"Hey," she stuck her legs out in front of her and her feet met his stomach. "Revenge." She grinned.

Tilting his head at her he finally realized what she was talking about. Laughing he began floating on his back and she swam passed him and the pier.

"Watch out!"

"Boat!" A bunch of people shouted at Jack.

His ears being under the water didn't hear. Carrie, only feet away made swift strokes to him and pulled him over to her.

"What..." he looked at her and felt the boats waves hit him. Turning to it, then to her. "Thanks."

"Can't have my favorite CO's have a concussion from a boat can I now?" she smiled.

Looking after the boat they heard two sorry come from the boat from a girl and woman.

"Was that?" Jack looked to Carrie.

"Janet and Cassie?" she finished. "We have babysitters."

"Lets go get something to eat and work something out to show them that they won't be able to keep up with us," he smiled and again, raced her to shore.

While eating hot dogs they decided to take a hike that evening on the longest trail in the park...fifteen miles long going up and down hill. Then in the morning jog at 6am. And then climb a mountain after lunch.

It was 3pm the next day and were regretting what they decided to do. So were Janet and Cassie, who were about to murder her mom in cold blood. Jack sat on a rock catching his breath while watching Carrie climb to the next ledge. She lost her footing on some loose rocks and slid down. If it weren't for a tree growing out of the rocks she wouldn't have stopped. Jack jumped up the moment he saw what was going on. For a second she didn't move and finally she looked down at him.

"Okay?" he called.

"A little shaken," she was clinging to the tree branches. "I'm coming down it's closer." She sat down on 'his' rock and examined her scratched and scrapped-up self. "You have the first-aid kit."

He took it out and handed it to her. She put two large Band-Aids over her bleeding knee. The rest were scratches and were nothing.

"You want to head back?" he asked but she shook her head. "All right, lead the way."

Janet and Cassie had taken another trail up and were watching the two. Both held their breaths as they watched Carrie fall. Cassie had to hold her mom back to keep her from running over. Much to their relief they sat resting in the tent on their camping site.

"Mom, you never told me who those kids are?" Cassie skeptically bought the garbage she'd been fed before.

"I can't say," she sat up and glared at Cassie.

"Mom, please, I know all about the stargate. This must have something to do with it?" Cassie whined and Janet still wouldn't answer. "Fine." And she left the tent.

"Where are you going?" Janet opened the flap of the tent.

Cassie turned around and replied, "Bait-shop, heard they have a deli."

"Fine, be back before sun down," the older woman told her.

"Whatever," Cass turned down the road but didn't go in the directing on the bait-shop. Slowly she approached a fire that had music coming from it, with two people talking. "Hi." The two people looked to her.

"Hello," the girl said, and the boy waved. "Lovely evening isn't it?"

"Very," Cassie replied. "You hear about the girl how fell down the mountain?"

"I'm the girl who fell ten feet down a mountain," Carrie laughs and Jack shakes his head.

"Yeah, talk about your luck; if that tree wasn't there," he told Cassie feeling nervous about her being there not knowing who they were.

Cassie came closer and held her hand out to them. "I'm Cassie Frazier and you are?"

"Caroline Samuels...Carrie please," Carrie shook her friends hand also nervous.

"Jackson O'Connell...call me Jack, hey you, dumby. I'll answer to it all," he shook Cassie's hand violently.

"You know that's funny. I know a Jack O'Neill and you act just like him," she laughed.

Jack and Carrie shared a quick glance. "Yeah, a barrel of monkeys," Jack fake smiled.

"What's going on?" Cassie frowned at them and her question was answered. "Sam, Jack is that you?"

"Not convincing?" Carrie squinted through the sunlight.

"No, you look just like her...you. Bringing me back to my question. What's going on?" Cassie pressed further.

"Oh you know, Thor's buddies right?" Cassie nodded and Jack continued. "Well, one of those ex-buddies copied us so to speak 'outside the mountain'."

"You're kidding! So, you're here while he's recovering and she's...never mind," Cassie shut up.

"What?" Carrie sat forward in her chair. "Cassie?"

"From what I heard, she hit her head, so did Jack, but he's awake and fine. Daniel didn't hit his head, but got sick from a toxin. Right now Sam is in a coma. No signs of waking up. Jake is up at the base, too," Cassie explains.

"Dad's there, why? Not just because Sam is hurt?" Carrie was confused.

"I don't know, you know the classified stuff," Cass rolled her eyes.

"Gotta love it huh?" Jack held two thumbs up.

"Sure, you betch ya," Carrie threw her head back into the lawn chair.

"So, do you know anything of what's going on?" Jack went on.

"I was up there before we came here yesterday and I talked with Jack, he didn't say much. He isn't taking the fact he, these are his words now. He is 'peachy and Carter lies on that damned bed in a coma.' They don't know if she'll wake up," Cassie looks at the ground.

Carrie and Jack just starred at her too shocked to say anything. "He say anything else?" Jack wondered.

"Nothing much, just that over his dead body would Sam die. Yada, yada, yada, and that was it. He made some slips about ya'll but nothing I could prove. So when mom made us follow you two all night and day I knew there was something about you. And I decided to, investigate," she chose her word.

"Little detective," Carrie smirked. "Why don't I believe that wasn't all the Colonel told you?"

"Because it isn't?" the two looked at her in surprise. "Not allowed to say. Only, Daniel and I know. Jake and the General come into the picture but not on this."

"Okay, so poor Janet is left out?" Carrie pitied her friend.

"Nah, she knows all that goes on in her infirmary. Just doesn't say anything," Cassie shrugs.

About an hour later they decide to walk down to the Bait-shop and get a snack. Carrie and Jack waited outside while Cassie famously flirted with the cute deli guy.

"Wonder what happened to Dominic," Jack said.

"He was dust about a year ago. You know these puppy-loves," she smiles and continues. "After she broke up with him there was Alex, who was only getting back at his exgirlfriend. Then Nick, who moved about two months ago and since then she's been flirting with every guy since."

"I see," Jack leaning on the railing of the dock.

Carrie began walking down the dock and sat down on a bench at the end. She was sitting on her feet looking out over the water. Jack came to rest next to her.

"It's weird, I feel so old mentally, but a feel so young physically," Jack muttered.

"Same here, wise beyond our years," she said with a chuckle. "Literately."

"Sam, Jack where'd..." Cassie finally came out.

They walked up to her and back to their site.

"What's his name?" Carrie nudged her.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Cassie ignored her.

"Aw, is Cassie blushing?" Jack embarrassed her.

"If I tell you will you shut up?" she asks them. They looked at each other and crossed their hearts. "Ryan Blaylock, goes to my school, he's a junior."

"Upper classmen eh?" Carrie grinned.

"I told you now be quiet," Cassie declared.

They said their goodbyes and Cassie went on back to Janet. Who grilled her on where she was. Lying with she met some guy in the deli and she joined him in fishing. Janet was doubtful but settled on it while packing their things in her car. Jack and Carrie did the same since it was a 'school-night'.

Back at the base Jack hadn't left Sam's side even though Janet cleared him to go Sunday morning. Sam had now in a coma been sixty-four hours (two and a half days). He did leave her once and told no one where he'd be. Coming back and claiming his spot next to her again.

"Jack, any changes?" Jacob walked up behind his friend.

"No," his was barely above a whisper.

"You should get some sleep, she isn't going anywhere," he heard Jack laugh.

"I'm fine right here," Jack uttered. "Doc back yet?"

"She just phoned George, they're leaving now," Jacob told the younger man.

"Good," Jack stifled with a yawn.

"Go to bed Jack, I'll come get you if she wakes up," Jacob is now pulled the man up out of the chair. "You've been sitting here since you woke up except when you left for a while."

"Fine, I've had people on my back all day," he reluctantly said and soon left for his quarters.

He slept twelve hours to his surprise. Rushing to the infirmary there sat Daniel taking a turn of sitting with the cherished friend.

"Carrie called me last night, wanted to know why they weren't told about Sam's condition," Daniel absently said as Jack approached.

"How'd?" he wondered.

"Said she just knew, I don't buy it. Think Janet or Cassie let something slip. Janet swears she didn't talk to them but says Cassie was away for about two hours yesterday afternoon," Daniel explains.

"How long you been here?" Jack asks.

"Couple hours, Jacob went to get something straightened out with Hammond," he replied.

"Again? You want to take break?" Jack pulled a chair over.

"Nah," Daniel denies.

"Daniel, please," Jack doesn't look at him.

Daniel looks up at the distressed man. "Alright, you want anything to eat?"

"Coffee?" Jack answered and took Daniel's seat.

Daniel left and Jack took Sam's hand in his. "Sam I don't know if you can hear me, but this is worth a shot and it'll be good to get off my chest." Glancing around he saw no one near. Scooting forward some he raised her hand to his lips. "Here goes nothing. I'm not expecting you to wake up just because I say this, but because I want you to. Well, what I have to say is that if you die I don't know what I'd do without you. Sam, you're everything to me. Of course I have friends and people important to me, but no one is as wonderful as you. What I'm saying is that I love you for that my own life." He pauses and sighs.

"When you wake up I promise I'll get down on one knee, my bad one even, and show you how much I love you," he adds with a half smile. "I want to wake up and have you by my side and not just on missions, but to be able to wrap my arms around you and love you in front of the world...worlds. So that everyone will know. God I love you so much." Jack kisses her hand again. "Lord if you could just give me a sign that my Sam will come back to me I'd appreciate it."

"Colonel?" Janet's voice calls from her office. "Is that you colonel?"

"Yeah, doc, what is it?" he turns around at the sound of her voice.

She approaches him. "Sir, I got Sam's latest Cat scan back," she opens a folder and lays it on the edge of Sam's bed.

"It's changed a lot since the last one I saw," he points the area that had swelling before. "This is good isn't it?"

"Yes, if it keeps up at this rate she'll be on the road to recovery in no time," she says in a relieved voice. "And here." She flips to another paper. "This is a copy of her brain waves. The monitor shows here that she's improving. In the last few hours she's come out of the woods."

"You don't sound as relieved as you should be. What else is there?" Jack looked up at her.

"There's a possibility that she might not remember some things. But that's only a slight chance, and I'd rather have that than have her not wake up at all," Janet convinces him she'd be all right.

"Really," Jack admitted. Janet left to tell Jacob and Hammond about the news. Jack rested his head on the mattress. Leaning his head back and looking to the ceiling. "Thank you."

Jack had leaned back in the chair and fell asleep even before Daniel came back with the coffee. He began to wake up when he heard low moans coming from near by. Still filled with sleep he looked around, finally coming to look at Sam. Her fingers were moving in his hand. Jumping up he leaned over her.

"Sam, you hear me?" he gently touched her face with his fingertips.

In return she moaned around and slowly her eyes fluttered open. She looked around and finally focused on Jack's face. Sam smiled slightly. "Hi," her voice was soft and cracked from a dry throat.

Reaching over he held a cup of water to her lips. "How do you feel?"

"Like hell, my head is killing me, and so is my back. Will you help me up?" Sam began to sit up herself.

Jack helped her hop off the bed. "Want to walk around?" She nodded and he grabbed the IV and pulled it along while holding her up.

"What happened?" she asked a few seconds later.

"The swam had an endotoxin in it and when we got back through the gate it reacted with our systems and we passed out. You and I hit our heads, I woke up pretty fast," he explained.

"What's today?" she looked to him.

"Monday, it's about noon," he checked his watch then looked at her astonished face. "You had us all really worried, me in particular."

She blushed a deep crimson and held tight to his arm. Here legs had weakened in the last few days and it hurt to move them. "Jack, did you talk to me while I was asleep?"

He glanced down at her and said, "Yes, why?"

"I heard you, I heard everything. It was like I was here but not here, you know?" she didn't look at him and he was worried she didn't feel the same way. Before he could think too much she speaks once more. "Jack, I love you too."

The second he heard this he whipped his head around to look at her. He just smiled at her. Sam turned to him and stood, with all her strength, on her tiptoes, leaned up and pressed her lips to his. The kiss deepened quickly, and all of the sudden they heard someone clearing their throat. Pulling back they saw Jacob, Hammond, Daniel, Teal'c and Janet. None of them seemed surprised to Jack and Sam's disbelief.

"Hi, guys," Daniel, grins at them.
To be continued...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dani