Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Double Trouble-Part 6

by Dani
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Double Trouble-Part 6

Double Trouble-Part 6

by Dani

Summary: Frazier figures out what's wrong with the Daniel, Jack and Sam. Carrie and Jackson find out who broke into the apartment. Jack shocks Daniel;)
Category: Action/Adventure, Romance, Series, Other
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/06/03

Double Trouble-Part 6

Dr. Frazier ran from the infirmary to the briefing room where the General was meeting with the others. She had three manila folders in her hand. Holding her card up to the Airmen guarding the door to the room she was allowed passed. Opening the door she staggered in the room to catch her breath.

"Sir, something on that planet mixed with their blood, causing them to have difficulty breath the air here. Daniel is awake and seems to be doing better, but the Colonel and Major are still unconscious. It appears they are a coma sir," Janet exclaimed handing the folders over to the General. "Jacob, did Sam or the Colonel encounter anything that Daniel didn't while on the planet?"

"Well, all three of us, excluding Daniel, were stuck in a swap half the time to the ship the first day. But that doesn't explain Daniel, or why I'm not sick," Jacob explained confused.

"Doctor, could it be their symbiotes?" the General spoke up.

"That's what I'm thinking, but still, what about Daniel," she picks up Daniel's folder once more. "How could I have missed this? Sir, right here, it shows extremely low signs of the chemical in his blood. It's possible that he somehow got a dose of it off Sam or the Colonel?"

"He, Andre, and Sam were together for about an hour or so," Jacob replied. "Could have gotten some of the mud off Sam."

"Samples of the mud have been sent to the labs, they'll be back in no time," Janet says and sits down in a cushioned chair. "We need them now though. The sooner I can get them, the better chance at finding a way to wake them up."

"Should we listen to the recordings in the meantime," Hammond goes on and motions Jacob to play them.

A gouald voice filled the room after a few short moments. "I find it hard to believe that my best scout can not return information as to the where abouts of the Tauri clones."

"My Lord, the Tauri captured last week, provided multitudes of information. They are on Earth, the vicinity of the Stargate held by the SGC," another voice speaks.

"Yes, I know that, do you take me for an imbecile? Do you know how large the vicinity is around the Stargate? How many beings three are? Millions from what we are told," the first voice shouts. "These clones are the answer to our hold over the Tauri. Any other clones would not do, but a clone of each, Samantha Carter, and Jack O'Neill will prove great concern to the Tauri. They are treasured on Earth." Jacob stops the recording.

"Dear God, they want them for an exchange. Sir?" Janet pipes in fury.

"I got that doctor. But what will they do, kidnap them and then what? Jacob," Hammond waves to him.

"My Lord, the Tauri are wise, they will not exchange the worlds entire labor or clones who will be enslaved as well," the second questions his lord.

"They feeding this to us on a silver plater, sir. Something isn't right this isn't what their plan is. It can't be. Like Daniel had said on the planet 'it's too easy'," Janet gripes at her superior.

All of the sudden they hear what sounds like a zat gun, fire twice. Then a thud of metal hitting the floor. "He who questions his Lord will pay," the first voice exclaims. "Contact Fermi. He should be done."

"Is that it?" Hammond quipped when the sounds died. "What about the others?'

"Nothing George, I checked the last night. This is the only one that picked up anything. Fermi, I think that we should look up any reference to Fermi, besides the physicist," Jacob points out the name. "And what should be done?"

"Doctor, call Carrie and Jackson make sure everything is alright in Denver," Hammond ordered her to do.

"Sir, it's two in the morning, they'll be in bed," Janet informs him.

"Wake them, this too important," Hammond stands. "Jacob I want you to go down to the infirmary and get checked out, all of you. Make sure nothing is wrong with you too. Dismissed."

Carrie and Jackson entered the mall, walking next each other still. They asked where they could find the sports store they were given the name of. Walking there they looked around the shop for a bit. Jack got some wind pants and sweats, a few tees and baseball cleats. Carrie got a few sets of shorts and tees, then cover-ups for her suit, swim shoes, goggles, and swim cap. And of course the suit, which a nice once-piece purple and black Speedo. Leaving the store after paying they decided to spot in the food court for a bite to eat since it was almost five o'clock.

Talking about how school was, and the students they met. Jordan and Carrie had swimming together, but neither had seen Brad since Algebra. Some of their conversation was about the break in yesterday.

"What do we do if Sam tells Hammond? And someone calls us?" Carrie wonders aloud. "We tell them, or not?"

"Probably tell them, because if they'd be concerned enough to call, it's important. Besides, I'm sure there is someone watching out for us. And not the man upstairs," Jack remarks and makes Carrie smile. "You and I both agreed nothing was missing or anything in addition correct?"

"Yes, but there is just something wrong, I know it. But I don't want the SGC thinking that we are teens who can't take care of ourselves," Carrie rolls her eyes.

"I know, I'm a forty-two year old man, and your thirty-six years old yourself! I think we know how to take care of ourselves. Compared to the teenyboppers we go to school with," Jack says in a low voice.

"I second that, and thirty-seven, birthday was two weeks ago," she reminds him.

"Oh no, we forgot it? I am so sorry," he apologizes. "Why did you chew us out?"

"What and make a big deal that I'm another year old? I think not. Besides, I'm fifteen, and my new birthday is months away. Where as, yours is in two months. October 25th remember?" Carrie replies. "You want a party or anything?"

"No, bake a cake, have Sg-1 up and I'll be happy," Jack didn't want a party.

"Alright, well, I'll do that for ya, sooner the time comes," Carrie finishes her meal. "Ready?"

"Yeah," Jack stands and grabs their bags.

Once at the apartment, they find the man from across the hall knocking on their door.

"May we help you?" Carrie offers her hand to shake.

"Hi, my name is Carl Bleighton, I noticed you moved in this weekend. I was coming over to introduce myself and invite you to dinner tomorrow night. It's just my daughter and I but we thought it'd be polite," Carl shook both of their hands.

"Well," Jack looked to Carrie who shrugged. "That would be nice, what time?"

"What time is good for you Mr. O'Connell?" Carl surprised them with Jack's last name. "The landlady was telling me about you. She is quite captivated at your ages."

"Oh," Carrie understands her shock. "Well, how about seven?"

"That's good, I look forward to it," Carl replied.

"Would you like us to bring anything?" Carrie offers before he leaves.

"Just yourselves," Carl smiles at them. "Have a good evening, pleasure meeting you." He then returns to his apartment.

"Strange man," Jack shakes his head as Carrie got the door. "Call Jordan and I'll call Brad see when they want to get together to do the surveys."

"All right," Carrie took her book bag and tossed it in her room. Then coming out she pulled her purchases from the bag, leaving his in it. Once she finished putting it away, she dialed the number Jordan gave her.

"Peterson residence," a snobby woman answered.

"Hello, this is Carrie Samuels. May I speak with Jordan Peterson?" Carrie asks.

"One moment," the woman sets the phone down and soon Jordan comes to the phone.

"Jordan Peterson," Jordan says.

"Hey, it's Carrie I was calling to see when you'd want to work on this survey for Biology?" Carrie inquires sitting down on the couch by Jack.

"How about tonight, that is if it's all right with my mom. Where would you want to meet? My place or yours?" Jordan responds.

"Either is fine, which ever your parents want," Carrie kicks her shoes off.

"Hold on," Jordan covers the phone with her hand and turns to her mother. "Mom, this girl from school and I have to work on something together, she wants to know whether she can come here, or can I go there."

"Why doesn't she come here, so that your father and I can meet her," Carrie hears the mother reply.

"Tell her that's fine," Carrie tells Jordan. "What time?"

"What time mom?"

"Seven."

"Seven is fine. I have to go now, cuz Jack wants to phone Brad to ask the same thing," Carrie explains to Jordan.

Jordan laughs. "All right, tell Jack I said hi, and I'll see you in bit. Bye."

"Will do, bye," Carrie hangs up and hands the phone over to Jack. "She said hi. Here's Brad's number." She takes the remote from him and flips the channel to some weird medical show that had an operation going on.

"Turn that off, I just ate," Jack muttered as the phone rang.

"Hello?" Brad's voice hits Jack.

"Brad?" Jack asks.

"Yeah, Jack that you?" Brad replies.

"Yes, I was wondering when you'd like to work on the survey, I'm busy tomorrow evening so I thought we'd better get it done tonight," Jack explains.

"Sure, my dad is having is boss over for dinner, so if I could come over to your place, it'd be better," Brad wonders.

"That's cool, you need a ride?" Jack offers snatching the remote from Carrie and switching channels.

"If you don't mind," Brad was wary.

"Course not, I'll pick you up in few minutes okay? You eat dinner yet?" Jack wonders.

"No, but I can get something here before I leave. I live up behind the high school in Holly Tree. If you enter the North entrance I'm on the third block in. You have my address," Brad says.

"Thanks, see you soon, bye," Jack hangs up. "I need the address for Brad." Carrie hands the piece of paper over. "I'll be back in a bit. He's coming over here."

"All right, I'm going to work on my Algebra," Carrie heads into her room as Jack leaves.

He soon returns with the other boy. Carrie hears the door open and steps out of her room to greet him. They say hello and she moves her homework to the dinning table. She laughed at some of the answers both of them gave the other.

"It's not that funny is it?" Brad asks the hysteric Carrie.

"Come on, you sister dressing you up in a pink ballerina outfit and making you have a tea party with her and her stuffed animals is hilarious!" Carrie could hardly stop laughing to speak.

"All right wise guy, what's you most embarrassing moment?" Brad demands.

"I'd have to say...when I was sick this one time and it made me hallucinate," she didn't look up to them.

"What'd you do?" Brad was interested.

"Nothing," she refuses.

"She attacked me in the locker room," Jack answers for her.

"Attack? Like what?" Brad looks from Carrie who is blushing to Jack who has a look of 'duh' on his face. "You're kidding?"

"Nope, but I got what she had too. So, I embarrassed myself too," Jack, explains.

"What'd you do?" Brad pressed and Carrie looked up.

"Yeah, what'd you do? I've never been told yet," Carrie wonders.

"I told Daniel about it, and he was sarcastic about it and said 'you poor man'. That's when I began hallucinating, and I took it wrong and beat him up," Jack looks down.

"That explains Daniel's bruises! Why didn't you ever say?" Carrie was still confused.

"Because he got jealous at what Daniel had said," Brad makes clear to her.

"Thank you Brad," Jack still wouldn't look at Carrie.

"I'm here to help," he grinned at Jack and Carrie.

Carrie laughed and went on with her work. Soon it was a little til seven. The guys were done so Brad called his folks and got permission to stay a little longer. Carrie drove over to Jordan's house. Jordan was waiting outside for Carrie.

"You drive already? Cool!" Jordan squealed. "How old are you?"

"Fifteen, I got a hardship," Carrie replied. "Let's get to work. Brad is back at my place and he's got to be home in an hour or he'll be grounded."

"Yeah, he'd be double grounded from what I understand," Jordan laughs and they go in and soon finish the survey.

Later on Carrie takes Brad home and returns to the apartment. Both finish their homework and go to bed. Completely exhausted from the long day. It was two in the morning and Carrie wakes up to the phone ringing off the hook. Neither have telephones in their rooms yet so she stumbles out of bed and into the dark living room. She trips over the rug and falls on the couch. At this Jack flies out of his room.

"Who's there?" he yells.

"Shut up, it's me, the phone," she picks herself up and reaches or the phone. "Hello?"

"Carrie, it's Janet," Janet says from the other end.

"Jack get the lights. What's wrong Janet?" Carrie worries.

"Are you in your room? Are you and Jack?" Janet begins to ask loads of questions.

"Janet please, he didn't even hear the phone. I came out of my room to get it and he came in when he heard me fall. It's dark, it's late what are you calling for?" Carrie asks yet again.

"General Hammond ordered me to call. Make sure everything is all right there," Janet informs her.

"How did we know someone would call? So, who's watching us? Why don't ya'll trust us?" Carrie is annoyed.

"Calm down, it's not that we don't trust you. I can't tell you over the phone, for a number of reasons. Is everything okay there at the apartment?" Janet assures Carrie.

"Someone broke in while we were gone yesterday. We figure it wasn't a robbery, because nothing is gone. Jack and I think a certain someone got in," Carrie says.

"The NID, yes, we don't know how they even found you. I'll have Hammond send someone up and check your apartment over make sure it isn't bugged. I wish I could tell you what's going on, but I was told not to. But I'll tell you this before I go. Find out anything on Fermi. I have to go before I get in trouble. Talk to you soon bye," Janet suddenly hangs up.

"What's up?" Jack sits on chair.

"We were right, it was the NID, and someone is going to be here tomorrow, most likely during school. Make sure it isn't bugged. Janet said, find out anything on Fermi. That was it, she hung up," Carrie told Jack.

"Fermi? Wasn't he a physicist?" Jack shocked her.

"Yes, how'd you know?" she uttered.

"I read your book on the Manhattan Project when we had those armband things," he replied.

"Oh, I'm going to see what I can find on Fermi, you should go to bed," Carrie pulled him out of the chair.

"You should too, we have school in oh...six hours," Jack said, following her into the hallway.

"I will, but I want to know who this Fermi person is," she was interested and he could tell.

"Tell you what, you find out all you can in an hour then go to bed, and I'll do the same from my room," Jack suggested.

"Two hours," she saw he wasn't going to give in. "Fine, but I'm getting up at six to look up more."

"I'll be up at seven then," he replied and they parted to their rooms.

Leaving the doors open they discussed hat they found from their seats. Nothing was found within the first forty-five minutes. Then Jack called from his room for her to come in there.

"Is that the NID mainframe?" Carrie awed at his work.

"Yeah, look at this. This guy named Hugh Mason he minored in physics. It has at report on why he minored in it. From what I read he found the work of Enrico Fermi exciting. I think this is the guy who broke in going as a 'code' name. I can't get a picture on here though, says there is an error on the page," he explains.

"Move over let me try," Carrie took over his seat she did something and all of the sudden the picture popped up on the screen. "I've seen him somewhere."

"Me too, print that," he tells her and she does. "Well we know who it is now, but why is he after us?"

"Don't know, and don't care, neither you or I are going anywhere that is secluded from the public. So no camping this weekend," she breaks it to him.

"Come on, we'll go to a state park where there are other people camping. Don't ruin my fun," he begs.

"Maybe," she says and takes the picture from him. "Go to bed, I'll call Janet back tomorrow."

"Goodnight Carter," he walked her to the door.

"'Night Jack," she shuts her door.

He stands there for a few minutes then yells, "Turn the computer off and go to bed."

Seconds later the light coming from under her door went off and he heard her climb into bed. He did the same and both fell right to sleep.

"General, someone broke in, I want someone to go up there and make sure it isn't bugged," Janet barged into her CO's office.

"All right, we've found nothing on Fermi, not in the NID that is, even there relatives, nothing," Hammond is irritated. "Take Jacob and go up to Denver first thing in the morning. For now see what you can find out on Sam and Jack."

"Yes, sir," she left his office and headed down to the infirmary. Jacob was standing over his daughter. A nurse came up to her and gave her the results on the mud samples. "Jacob, come here."

"What is it?" he rushes over.

"The samples show signs of a toxin called endotoxin. It's weird it usually only has effect on animals. Things like fever, shock, vomiting. But I don't know why it'd cause them to be in a coma! I'd understand if they had trouble breathing but not a coma. I can take care of the endotoxin, but I'll have to do an MRI on those two," she rambles on to Jacob.

"You mean to say that there is something neurologically wrong with them?" he raises his voice.

"I won't know until the MRI are performed. Stay here I'm going to get it scheduled now," she then walks off.

With ten minutes Sam was being taken off to another room, Jacob went with. She was placed on a table then left in the room alone. Janet, Jacob, Hammond and a nurse stood in the observation room. The picture of Sam's brain came on to a screen.

"Right there," Janet points to a small blotch on the side of Sam's brain. "This has nothing to do with the endotoxin at all. What this shows, the received a concussion when she hit the ramp."

"Why did they pass out though?" Hammond was lost.

"The endotoxin causes asthmatic reactions, I think the shock from going through the wormhole caused it," Janet explains.

"So, how long til they wake up?" Jacob worries about his daughter.

Janet looks away from him and back to Sam. "I don't know sir, the swelling should go down within a day or two, but it's her choice when to wake up. It could be hours, days, or weeks. All we can do is wait," she answers while recording what the MRI showed.

"So she could be like this forever?" Jacob hastily turns her toward him.

"I'm sorry sir," Janet tries t hold her emotions back for her friend.

"Janet, you're her friend, she's my daughter, do something please," he pleads with her.

"Jacob, I can't. There is nothing to do for her," she tries to make him understand, tears brimming her eyes.

Jacob gives up and walks into the room where Sam is. He takes her off the bed and puts her on the one from before. The nurse comes in and takes her then. Janet watches at he follows after. Moments later Jack is brought in and the MRI is preformed on him too.

"Sir, his swelling is minimal compared to Sam's and her's was little. He will most likely wake within the day. He's already shown signs of waking," she points out the tiny bit of swelling to Hammond.

"That's good doctor, is there anything I can do?" Hammond looks to her.

"No, sir. Like I told General Carter, all we can do is wait," she felt awful.

"And pray, lets do that Janet," he pats her on the shoulder and leaves.

She smiled at him; it was the first time he'd called her Janet in a long while. But still felt guilty that she could do nothing for two of her best friends. Breaking the news to Jacob about Jack's condition was hard. He didn't understand why his daughter had to get the worst out of all of them. She explained it to Daniel and Teal'c as well who were worried over their friends just as much as she.

Janet was in her office sleeping when she heard Jack's hoarse voice coming from the main wing. She jumped up and went to him.

"How are you feeling colonel?" she flashed her light into his eyes.

"Chest hurts some, and head is killing me," he croaked keeping his eyes closed.

"The swamp you were in the other day had signs of a high endotoxin in it. That's what is causing the chest pains. And the shock from the gate and the endotoxin caused you to faint. You hit you head on the ramp that gave you a concussion," she looks down at her watch. "Had us worried. Been a coma over a day. It's been 28 hours since you returned."

"What about the others? Carter...she all right?" his eyes shoot open and there's fear in them.

"Daniel came in contact with the toxin off Sam, but it was a small dose compared to you and Sam. He is fine and moving around like normal. Sam on the other hand, the same as you with the endotoxin, but she hit her head harder on the ramp than you. Your swelling went down faster than hers. You showed signs of waking, you brain waves showed signs that is. As of an hour ago she hasn't at all," Janet watches as the fear grows more and more by the moment.

"Can I see her?" he finally asks.

"Yes, let me help you," she holds him steady as they walk over to Sam's bed which is next to his. "Look who's up Jacob."

Jacob's head comes up from its resting place on the edge of Sam's bed. "Hi Jack. How are you feeling?"

"Worried," he half smiles at Jacob.

"I'll get you a chair colonel keep hold of the bed," Janet pulls a seat over for him. "I told the colonel what's going on. If you'd telling about the recordings and the apartment it'd be appreciated. I'm off to inform the General of the colonel's waking."

"How is she?" Jack finally asked after a silence.

"Peaceful, she hasn't moved, or anything in hours. It's scares me Jack," he admitted to his friend.

"I know, me too. I don't want to lose her anymore than you do," Jack confesses.

"You love her don't you?" Jacob doesn't look away from Sam.

"Very much. Damn thing is, she doesn't know," Jack is upset. "She isn't going to die, she'll wake up. She's strong."

"I know, but the waiting is going to kill me in the meantime," Jacob laughed. "Fermi, that's who's after the clones."

"What?" Jack looks up.

"They think that if they have them, Earth will exchange the Tauri's labor for them. But Dr. Frazier thinks that that isn't it. Nothing has come up on Fermi. But someone broke into the clone's apartment Tuesday. Frazier and I went up and found it was bugged. There was seven camera's the size of a pin head in each room," Jacob told Jack.

"SEVEN! How could those two miss them?" Jack exclaims and Jacob is about to say something. "Pin heads I know. Why didn't this Fermi person just grab them instead of watching them?"

"Best we can figure, he or she wants to get them off on their own. They're going camping tomorrow. Hammond has Cassandra and Frazier going. They'll be on a site not too far away. Carrie and Jackson don't know though," Jacob says.

"They're living as prisoners," Jack comments.

"I know Jack, Carrie 'is' my daughter too, and Jackson is you. You worried about them too," Jacob replies. "Stay with her, I'm going to see Hammond about something."

"Okay," Jack took Sam's hand after Jacob left. "Sam please wake up. I know you will, but I want you to now. I swear to you, when you wake up I will talk to Hammond about the regulations. That way we don't have to worry about them, and we can have our relationship out in the open." He says this in a whisper he can only barely hear.

"Jack, you're up," Daniel calls from behind him.

"Yeah, looks like I am," Jack sarcastically replies.

"She'll be okay, Jack," Daniel is now standing on the other side of Sam's bed.

"I know," Jack simply says.

"Her dad has been talking to the General about you two. I walked into Hammond's office while he was in there. I didn't know," Daniel explains. "It wasn't about your conditions either."

"What then?" Jack looked up from Sam's face.

"Regulations...don't worry I ask the general if you were in trouble or anything. He said no. That's all I know," Daniel finished. "Sorry."

"That's why Jake went up there just a few minutes ago," Jack shook his head.

"Don't know. Saw Janet in the hall, said you were up so I came to visit you. So, you want anything?" Daniel questions. "Food, book, game, anything?"

"No, well, you could do something for me. But you'd have to go off base to get it," Jack thinks.

"Sure, I'm on stand down since you two weren't up, but now you are and she isn't, I guess I still am," Daniel's brow meets in the middle of his forehead. "Where am I do go to?"

"Go to Dillard's or JC Penny's and ask for a ring measurement thing," Jack doesn't look at Daniel.

"What for?" Daniel watches as Jack stares at Sam. "Oh!"

"Yeah, now go, please," Jack watched his friend leave.

To be continued...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dani