Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Double Trouble-Part 3

by Dani
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Double Trouble-Part 3

Double Trouble-Part 3

by Dani

Summary: Sam and Jack's first 'date'. And a heart felt chat between Carrie and Jack in the apartment's kitchen.
Category: Action/Adventure, Romance, Series, Other
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/22/03

Double Trouble-Part 3

It was a quarter til seven and Sam was beginning to dress. Nothing fancy, just some khaki capris, and a knit, yellow tank top and some brown sandals. Finishing just before seven she set her purse next to the television set and went to sit down on her bed. She and Carrie watched reality show until there was a knock on the door.

Standing up and striding to the door, unlocking it then opening it. Sam stood there in the doorway as Jack stood in the hall with his back turned, but upon hearing it opening he turns back around.

"Hi, ready to go?" Jack asked looking just as casual as Sam.

"Yep, so where we going first?" she began walking down the hall beside him.

Jack replied with, "Well, I don't know about you, but I'm starving."

"Yeah, now I think about it, I am a pretty famished. Had brunch at 10-11 this morning," Sam tells him. "So, how's your day been? Haven't seen you since this morning."

"Well, us guys went out, Jackson got Carrie a gift. I helped him pick it out, it's great! I'd love it. You she will too," Jack puts on a sly grin.

"What'd he get her?" her curiosity gets the better of her. When he doesn't answer she presses the question again. "Come on, tell me."

"Fine, you dragged it out of me. He got her a dog," he then adds. "And a cat."

"You're kidding?" Jack shakes his head. "Let me guess the dog is for him, and the cat for her, really?"

"No, I suggested the dog for her, and he picked out the kitten. It's a little fuzzy thing. It's a 9 week old, male kitty. He's completely black with a white belly and up it's neck. Funny thing," Jack says hesitantly not wanting Sam to think he'd gone soft. "And the dog, well rather a puppy is a golden retriever mix. He's 12 weeks old. Completely brown except his legs and around his eye which are white. He's been named already, but the Carrie gets to name the kitten."

"So, what's the puppy's name?" Sam wondered with a smile while pressing the garage level in the elevator.

"Cowboy, we thought it was suitable for him," Jack shrugged standing next to her. "What do you think of the name?"

"I'd have to see the dog first. So where are the furry friends?" Sam asks with interest.

"The shelter is keeping them over night, and we are going back to get them once they can get into the apartment," he explains. "You want to go see them?"

Hearing the enthusiasm in his voice she too, got excited. "Yeah, lets go see the furry friends. So, who came up with Cowboy?"

"Uh, don't know, I've just always wanted to name a dog that," Jack smirked. "So, you knowing her so well what will she name the cat?"

Sam shrugs and says, "No idea, like I said before, I'd have to see it first." There was a ding and the she stepped out the door soon followed by Jack.

"You know something Carter?" Jack says looking down.

"I know a lot of stuff, but I don't thing I know what you know right now," her smart aleck remark came.

"Yeah, yeah," he pops the lock on his truck doors. "Well, I was going to say, that most people at the base think that you'd be exactly the same off base as on. In some ways you are, and some you aren't."

"In what ways am I and am not?" she opens her door as he goes around to his side.

Pulling him self up into the front seat, plopping down and beginning to buckle up. "Base, you're very logical. Off, you still are, but loosen up more. You know let your hair down a little. It's certainly an awe to see you out of uniform and in civilian clothing. Reminds me that the military can only run our lives to a certain extent," he then goes quiet.

She just watches in for a few seconds then speaks. "Yeah, all week long I have to wear pants and tees excluding missions and official dress. So, when off-duty I wear dresses. Regain my feminine side." Her giggles just a bit at her comment and Jack chuckles are drowned by the roar of the engine starting.

"There's nothing to regain, you like most women on base may think you're one of the guys, but we, I know you're not," he backs out of the parking area.

Ignoring this comment she falls into a silent tension. After a good five-ten minute of the silence Jack pulls over on the side of the road. Sam looks at him as if something was wrong with the truck. Opening her mouth to speak she is stopped abruptly as Jack's lips came to meet hers. In the most sensuous kiss, she felt as though it was by far the most incredible kiss she ever received. Pulling back only when hearing the honking of other cars that had to go around them. Jack gave her one of his sheepish grins and pulled back onto the road. Pulling up in front of the animal shelter they walked up to the door and went in.

"Back so soon Mr. O'Neill?" a woman behind the front desk says.

"Yeah, my friend here wanted to see the mongrels," he grins. "We'll still be picking them up tomorrow though."

"They are right through that door and to your left. We separated them from the other animals so no one else came in wanting them," the woman explains.

"Thank Marge," Jack replies and leads Sam back to the pup and kitten.

Only the puppy was awake but as soon as he saw them he started yipping which in turn woken the kitten. Sam opened the doggy kennel and let Cowboy out. Lifting him up he became quite frightened.

"Oh it's okay, little guy. I'm not going to hurt you. You're too cute, yes you are," she baby talks the dog and pets the dogs ears to reassure him.

"And this is the cat," Jack says pulling a kitten out of it's kennel.

"Aww, he's too cute too," she takes the kitten into her arms too. "We can't give them to Carrie. I want them."

"Sam, you can see when we come up and visit them," he tells her. Seeing her sad face he adds this. "Do you want a pet?"

"Yes, I gave Schrdinger away now all I got is the ants that come in when it rains and the dumb flies in the summer," she laughs. "I'd have gotten another pet but I don't have loads of time to put into it."

"Well, you could get an adult. And I know you don't have loads of time for it, but I'm sure while we're on missions, Cassie can watch it for you," Jack suggests petting the animals.

"True, she sure does love that dog you gave her," she replies.

"He's got a name," Jack scolds.

"Yeah I know, but Whiskey just doesn't fit that cute little dog," she laughs.

"She's the one who thought the name was nice for a dog. All I was doing was setting a bottle of it on the counter to get to something else and there she asked me what it was and then said she was naming her dog that!" he explains for like the millionth time.

"Uh-huh, sure," she give him a smirk. "You know what would be funny is if she named the kitten Indian."

"Cowboy and Indian, that's corny," Jack's brows frown.

"Well, I'm a corny person, deal with it," she says while kitten claws her shoulder. "Get the cat, get the cat, please."

He takes the kitten off her shoulder, but has trouble when it's claws clamp to her shirt. "Sorry," he apologizes.

Soon they left and found a normal sized restaurant with good food and a nice size jazz band. After being escorted to a table next to the live band the pair found want they wanted to eat. Some roasted chicken for Sam and chicken fried steak for Jack. While waiting for the food they made conversation.

"What do you think of all this duplicate stuff?" Jack asks it reminding him of a similar question.

"It's strange, but I'm coping," she replies with a small smile.

"Same here, it's not weird right now," he says, and sees her confusion. "I mean the older they get the more they'll look like us. And we can't say that he's my kid and she's your kid because we all have different last names. It'll be confusing I think."

"No offense but you two will have different color hair. And I'll tell Carrie to keep her's styled differently," she states sipping her wine.

"You don't like my hair?" he begins to fake cry.

"I didn't say that, I think it makes you look distinguished," she tells him with slightly pink cheeks.

He didn't say anything to this, but looked toward the band. Suddenly he stood up and walked over to a band. Bending down to the man playing the drums he whispered something. After sitting down again the drummer whispered to the rest of the band.

"What did you tell him?" she looks from the band to him.

Jack had a grin plastered on his face. "You'll see," he simply says.

"Jack,"her voice trails off when music begins to play. "Oh my God." She laughs. "You just had to have them play Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B, didn't you?"

"Yeah, it's just got that, I don't know just it's good," he admits standing up again and holding out a hand. "Do me the pleasure of dancing with me."

She smiles and takes his hand. "I'd love to."

He led her out onto the dance floor just as the music really took off. At first Sam didn't really know what to do but followed Jack's lead and quickly getting accustomed to the swing dancing. Soon other couples were dance on the floor with them. But none has the quality of dancing as they did. Sam's face was beaming with a smile and Jack's had one too. Both having so much fun they were disappointed that the song ended. As they walked off the dance floor another song came on. This time a slower one. Jack smiled at her and turned her back around.

After that song ended they sat back down and had dinner. Finishing and dancing some more. Before they knew it they were back in his truck and headed to a movie theater.

"Two to?" Jack starts.

"Uh, how about The Matrix Reload?" Sam suggests while Jack sets the money for tickets down for the cashier.

"Alright, you heard the lady," he says for the young employee.

Finally almost four and a half hours later the two pulled into the parking garage of the hotel they were staying at. Neither was tired so sat in the truck in the air conditioning listening to the radio.

"I had a lot of fun tonight, more than I have in a long time," Sam admits to the both of them.

"I know, I did too; you're a fabulous dancer," he complements her.

"Nah, I did what you were doing, that's all. And that should be a complement toward you. Maybe you could show me some more steps another time," she hints.

"You know there's a class in Colorado Springs that meets twice a week. I read it in the paper, sort of want to go, but don't have a partner. Possibly if you wanted to we could go," Jack looks at her face to see her reaction.

"That'd be nice, I'll have to look into it when we get back," she states. "So, you like to dance."

"It's okay as long as you have the right dance partner," he smiles at her and she blushes. "My mom made me and my sister take classes once we entered junior high school. She said 'If you're going to be apart of this family you have to act like this family.' I acted like I hated it to spite her, but I did enjoy it because of the music."

"When I had to go to my first social I asked my brother and he told me no way. Then my dad and her showed me a few steps but had to hurry off to work. So I ended up going to my next-door neighbor. She had quite a time showing me the waltz and tango, and the rumba. The tango is my speciality, it's funny though, I won't dance to it unless I'm in one of those spinning twirlie skirts or dresses," she giggles in embarrassment.

"Yep, defiantly have to go to that class together. I can teach you swing and you can teach me to tango. And you'll have to a lovely spinning twirlie skirts or dresses," Jack teases her.

"It'll be great seeing you try to tango, took me a month to learn how to move just right. One time there was a dance contest so the neighbor had her nephew, who also tangoed, accompany me to it. We won," she said triumphantly.

"Well, I can't assure you that we'll win any competitions but we'll look great out on a dance floor," he grins at her. "You know we should head up before we get in trouble. She'll scold me for having you out so late."

"Nah, she and I were out until three this morning. But yeah we should go up. I want to know the name of the kitten, if he told her yet," Sam becomes excited. "I'm going to laugh so hard if it's Indian."

Before Jack went to his room he waited outside Sam's til she got in. Opening the door she saw the lights were out.

"Goodnight Jack, thank you for a wonderful time," Sam whispers and gives him what should have been a short light kiss on the lips.

He kisses back though, deepening the kiss. Ending the kiss and saying, "I should be thanking you for a wonderful time. Goodnight Sam." With another quick kiss he strides across the hall and goes into his room. Both closing the door at the same time.

"Jackson, you asleep?" Jack calls in a low voice since the lights were off. Switching on the lights he sees no sign of the boy. He doesn't worry with him, but readies himself for a shower.

Meanwhile in Sam's room she switches on a lamp next to her bed. Looking down at her bed there lay Jackson, sound asleep. Carrie lay on the other bed with the TV remote in her hand. She smiles to herself and decide to leave them be. Going into the bathroom and changing into her nightclothes. Brushing her teeth and washing her face she grabbed her slippers, switched television off. Pulled the blanket over Jackson, and took the remote out of Carrie's hand. Turning the lamp off she made her way out the door, across the hall, and knocking on the door. A minute or two later Jack opens the door with a towel around his waist no less.

"Sam, something I can help you with or you just miss me?" Jack grins leaning on the door jam.

"Um, Jackson is out like a light in my bed. And I don't have the heart to tell him to get out. Do you mind?" she pointed in toward the room trying to divert her eyes from the towel.

"Come on it," he stepped aside and allowed her to pass. "So, which bed you want?"

"It doesn't matter, you had that one last night so I'll claim the other," she walks over to it and sits down. Noticing the covers on the other were messed up she adds. "I didn't wake you out of bed did I?"

"What? No, I didn't make it this morning; never do unless I'm going to work. Cause you know, might not be back for a while," Jack explains. "Was about to take a shower is all. I'll just grab some clothes to change in there."

"Okay, I'm just gonna go to bed, already prepped for bed," she and smiles a silly smile.

"Goodnight then again," he bends down to his bag then shuts the bathroom door.

Carrie woke up around six thirty the next morning with a start. Looking around she saw that the room was still pretty dark. And Sam wasn't there instead Jackson was in the other bed. Sitting up trying to figure out why she woke so suddenly. Then she realized that Jackson was snoring. Gaining her surroundings she noticed that Sam wasn't there! Of course she had before, but it didn't really hit hurt til then. Leaving the room with the door open she rushed across to the guys room. About breaking down the door. No one answered so she went back to her room. Shaking Jackson awake, who tried to ignore her.

"I need your key to your room," she demands.

"You're in my room," he sleepily said then opening his eyes. "What are you doing in my room?"

"This is my room," she emphasized the 'my'. "Where's your key?"

"Uh," he reached in his pockets and pulled out a key. "Why do you need it?"

"Sam never came back," she then rushed out of the room.

"Hey, maybe," he followed her out the door.

"I just want to make sure they both got back, I don't know when she'd have gotten back. We fell asleep," she fidgeted with the lock.

"You're a worrywart; gemme that," he grabs the key out of her hand and swiftly opens the door.

"I may be a worrywart, but you're going to thank me one of these days for being one," she walks in first and he closes the door.

"Is she in here?" he asks because she got in first.

"I don't know, I can't tell," she moves farther into the room. "Ahhhh."

Jackson heard a thud on the floor and so he asks, "You okay?"

"Yeah, I felt like sitting down," she replies. "Sorry, I'm not a morning person."

"Carter, I've spent seven years with you, I learned that after a month of missions," he tells her and reaches for her hand.

"Thank you," she politely thanks. "Look, found a light."

She switched it on and in the bed in front of them Jack lay on his stomach, covers up half way. Then on the other, in a diagonal slant lay Sam. Carrie got a wicked grin on her face.

"GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!!!!" she shouts at the top of her lungs.

Sam shot up straight like a flash of lightening. Jack threw a pillow at her.

Catching it she tosses it back. "Be nice," she says.

"Don't wake me up then," he grouches shoving the pillow over his head. "What are you doing here so earlier?"

"Carter never came in so Carrie decided to spaz out and wake us all up," Jackson flops down on Jack's bed.

"Yeah, that's right, mean ol' me wants everyone up. I didn't even wake up on my own for your information. You snore!" she accuses Jackson of.

"Excuse me, I do not," Jackson defends himself.

Just as they got into a round of do's and don'ts Sam speaks up, "Children! Shut up. He didn't, but you've got a stuffed up nose, so maybe you did."

"La-Di-Dah," Carrie replies. "I'm going back to bed." She heads out of the room.

"If you're going back to bed so am I," he beings to head out but stops. "You know something, you are really whiny in the morning," he tells Sam then leaves.

Sam turns to Jack and before she can say anything. He assures her, "You're not whiny, but he is though."

"Go back to sleep, Jack," she smiled and lay back down.

"Now that I'm awake I'm not going to be back to sleep. I'm going out," he told her getting out of bed.

"Where you going?" she questions him.

"Don't know," he replies pulling his shirt off and putting a clean one on.

"I'll come with you," she throws back the covers. "I'll be back, have to get dressed."

Twenty minutes later she was back in Jack's room. He was waiting for her with keys and as soon as she was in the room they left. Driving to the apartment building that their clones would be living in. The desk clerk was already up so she gave let them into the apartment. It was a very nice apartment, especially for teenagers. They looked around and found there were two normal sized bedrooms and a bathroom between them. The landlord told them there was a park two blocks away with a walking trail. They asked when Carrie and Jackson could move in. And she said any time today. Thanking her then leaving.

"So, where we going now?" Sam asked as they pulled out onto the highway.

"I-Hop," he told her. "I'm hungry, I'm always hungry, but I want some breakfast."

"I go for an omelet I guess," she said. "So you like I-Hop too?"

"Yep," he looked at her. "Why?"

"Nothing," she smiled.

Six hours later they were loading furniture into the back of Jack's truck. Finally having everything from JC Penny at the apartment within three trips. First the bedroom furniture then dinning and living.

"Do you want us to help assemble the beds or what?" Sam offers while they all stood in Carrie's bedroom.

"I'm sure we can figure it out," Carrie replies. "Um, I was wondering, when will we get our car?"

"This morning," Jack says quietly.

"You forgot?" Sam states plainly. "Why don't you guys go get it and everything else we bought and we two will assemble the beds for you."

"All right, there's a market down the road, if you don't mind could you go down and get some food," Jackson asks nicely.

"Sure, you're a growin' boy, you need your food," Sam sarcastically taunts him and she receives a nasty glare.

The two leave and so Sam and Carrie set about working around the apartment. Moving the living room furniture around so that everything would fit and still have extra room. Then arranging Carrie's room, the bed next to the closet the dresser between the doors and closet the computer was hooked up. Putting Jackson's bed together but leaving it in the middle of the room not knowing where he'd want it. So, they hooked his computer up, they both had the same desktop computers and software on it.

They quickly finished so walked down to the market Jackson mentioned to them. Buying sandwich fixings, drinks, paper products, and breakfast food. Going back to the apartment the two men were waiting inside on the couch watching TV.

"Hey," the guys said in unison.

"Buy anything good," Jackson asked alone.

"Depends on what good is to you," Carrie tells him hauling a bag back up into her arms. "We didn't really get much, because we didn't have a way of getting it back. You can tell me what food's you want and I can go get them tomorrow, okay?"

"Why don't I just come with, would it not be easier? It'd get done faster, and then we can get back here to get organized or whatever," Jackson stands and takes the bag that keeps slipping from her.

"It's whatever you want, doesn't bother me. All I know I really want is chocolate and coke," she smiles.

"Typical," Jackson mutters under his breath following her into the kitchen.

Jack stayed put on the couch and Sam still stood by the door. They both shook their heads. Sam then spoke, "Are we really like that?"

"Afraid so," Jack replied finally standing and taking all the bags from her. "Why don't you sit down, and I'll send Carrie out to sit down and us guys will make you two sandwiches. You've walked some ways so you should rest."

"No, I'm fine, I can make my own sandwich. But thanks for the offer," she grins at him and both go into the kitchen.

"Why kind of meat's did ya'll get?" Jackson asks while putting the things away.

"Uh, turkey, ham and chicken. There anything else you were wanting?" Sam tells him.

"And corn beef," Carrie pulls it out and sets it in front of him.

"I knew there was I reason I agreed to move in together," he sarcastically thanks her.

"I'll be right back," Carrie excuses herself and makes an exit to her room.

Walking to and from the store she had gotten pretty hot and wanted to freshen up. When they came over before she brought some of her clothes if she were to stay the night. Going into her room she was surprised to find a kitten sleeping on her already made bed, and a puppy sleeping on her pillows.

"Hey, I think the landlord needs to call an exterminator. The apartment is infested with huge furry bugs!" she calls from her bedroom as she sits down to pet the animals.

"Thought you might like 'em," Jackson says coming into the room.

"I love the little mongrels," she replies hugging Jackson. "Thank you, so, they have names yet?"

"Well," he starts the others coming in the room just as she pulls away. "He's got a name." He points to the dog. "But Mr. Cat here doesn't was leaving him you to name."

"What's the dogs name?" she inquires petting his ears.

"Cowboy," Jackson tells her picking up the kitten who claws his hand.

Carrie grins and looks at the cat. "This is really corny, but how about Indian?"

"What'd I tell ya?" Sam swats Jack. "And now I'm going to laugh." And she begins laughing.

"What's so funny?" Carrie is confused.

"Oh, I told her about the animals last night and about Cowboy. She said she'd laugh if you named it Indian. She even came up with it herself. It's the coincidence she's laughing at not you," Jack assures her.

"Well, in that case, hello Indian," she runs a finger over the kitty's small soft head and it begins to purr. "So, Cowboy is yours and Indian is mine?"

"Both are yours actually they're a present, only went for a kitten but the dumb pup kinda grew on me, so I got him too," Jackson admits watching the puppy chase its tail. "Dumb dog."

"I second that," Sam laughs from the door. "So, who's up for lunch?"

"I'll be there in a minute, just want to change," Carrie tells Sam as the other two had left already.

"Okay, want me to go ahead and make you a sandwich?" Sam asks setting a hand on the doorknob getting ready to close it.

"No, but thanks. I'll get to it," she replies and Sam leaves. Getting her suitcase out of the closet she pulls out a clean tank and some jean shorts. Quickly changing and returning to the kitchen, the dog and cat following her.

By this time only Jack was left in the kitchen the other two were sitting in the living room with some show on. Walking through the doorway and going to begins to make a sandwich.

"You okay?" Jack is looking at her.

"Yes, why would I not be?" she turns to look at him, still making the sandwich.

"It just seems something isn't right with you. You act the same, but you're not," Jack tells her his brow meeting in a point.

"Well, I'm also twenty-one years younger that may have an effect on how I seem to be," Carrie remarks with a smile.

"I mean you just don't seem happy, he doesn't either. And it's understandable. You think you're yourself one day and they told that you aren't the next. Finding out that you were cloned without your consent must be nerve-racking," Jack sympathizes with her.

"True, but I can live with it. I have to. You know up until just six years ago, I wanted to go back and change my life. Living a less chaotic life, go to a pubic university, get married before thirty maybe, have kids the whole white picket fence thing. And when I was assigned to the SGC, it all changed. Yes, I...she wants to get married and have kids but she'll wait til it's a right time. I don't care what happens this time around I'm not going to let anything get in front of having kids. Marriage would be nice, but if it doesn't happen oh well," she says hastily finishing her sandwich.

"Marriage will come for you, that's for sure. There's no way it'll pass you up," he attempts to calm her.

"What about her, technically she is me as well as I am her," Carrie points out.

"Yes, and I assure you, that it's not going to pass her up either," he stands there for a moment.

To be continued...

Thanks and Tootles!!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dani