Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Deus Ex Machina: Part Two

by Chris Spurgeon
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Deus Ex Machina: Part Two

Deus Ex Machina: Part Two

by Chris Spurgeon

TITLE: Deus Ex Machina: Part Two
AUTHOR: Chris Spurgeon
EMAIL: C.J.Spurgeon_00@wkac.ac.uk
CATEGORY: Drama, Challenge response (1116).
SPOILERS: Stargate the Movie, 'Children of the Gods', 'The Nox', Anything with the Asgard.
SEASON / SEQUEL: After Season 4
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Dramatic Irony, Violence, and Mind Control.
SUMMARY: Part Two: Ferretti and SG-2 must reopen a secret from the unit's past - and now SG-1's lives are at stake
STATUS: Complete - Part 2 of 2
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
By the same author: 'The Reaper', 'Deus Ex Machina: part one'
AUTHOR'S NOTES: A response to my own challenge to write a SG-2 story including the idea that they have a favourite alien civilisation. Be warned, there's a tiny bit of Dan + Jan shippiness thrown in for good measure. Oh, and I make no promises regarding the correct spelling of ancient Greek phrases.

The eight figures that stepped out through the rippling aquamarine of the event horizon paused to survey the area. As the initial probe recording had shown the Stargate stood on a rock mesa overlooking a broad but shallow valley, which was the site of a seemingly prosperous city. The slopes were scattered with clumps of trees that resembled conifers.

"Don't say it!" Sam Carter snapped

"Say what?" Jack O'Neill pouted.

"Anything about the trees."

"Oh I think my feelings are already well known. Besides anything I could possibly say has already crossed your minds."

"Sure Jack, we've read your book. 'The Trees Are Laughing At Me' by John O'Neill." Daniel mimed the act of turning pages as he jibed his friend.

"Et tu Daniel?"

"Yeah, sure, you betcha." Despite the jokes, there was a nasty mood amongst the team, searching for lost friends usually produced this effect

"Yes. Well, enough of this banter. Spread out and begin the search." Jack slipped his sunglasses on with false nonchalance and gestured his team forward. SG-9, Captain Pete Chambers commanding headed out on the opposing arm of the sweep.

SG-2, under the command of Louis Ferretti had been declared officially overdue only two hours ago. SG-9 had been ready within an hour - an unprecedented swiftness of response. General Hammond however had taken the extra time to summon SG-1 to support the mission. SG-2 were a hardened team, led by a veteran of the original Abydos mission that had seen the destruction of Ra. SG-2 had been the proving ground for a dozen officers who had been promoted to command other units with courage and distinction. Anything that could have detained them was to be taken seriously.

"Colonel!" Carter's voice roused O'Neill from dark thoughts. "The MALP." The major pointed to SG-2's abandoned probe, the casing had been opened and a remote detonator had been crudely wired into the long-range communication antenna presumably to boast the range.

"Louis really wanted to blow something up." Jack mused, he looked around briefly, then began scanning the surrounding countryside with his rifle scope. His eye fell upon the city than lay further down the valley, adjusting his telescopic sight he scrutinised the skyline. One tower stood out tall from the surrounding structures, its summit a ruin, blacked by the blast that had decapitated it. O'Neill gave a heavy sigh and wondered what his friend had got himself into this time.

Exiting the wormhole, the three surviving members of SG-2 found themselves in a heavily wooded area, the ground was thick with underbrush and the light had a greenish tinge from the foliage overhead.

"This doesn't look like the Gateroom." Captain Jeff Duncan raised his eyebrows at his CO who had dialled out.

"I have a confession to make kids." Jeff and brevet-captain Sandra McLeash exchanged glances. Their CO only called them 'kids' when he was being his most devious or his most insanely brilliant. "I brought us here to find the help we need to rescue Leo and free that city." The team had been forced to leave Dr Leo Styles behind after he had become infested with the mind control technology used by the 'Great Thinker' the controlling power on the planet they had been forced to flee.

"And the SGC wasn't the place to do that." Sandra was probably crossing the line into insubordination but in this context it hardly mattered.

"You saw what they had there. In the time it would take us to be debriefed, examined, for a decision to be made, for a plan to be conceived and a team assembled that city could be turned into a fortress. Think what could happen if they seriously began to arm the population with staff weapons. Any attack we might launch would turn into a mutual slaughter and I doubt we'd achieve anything. But I'm not standing by and doing nothing!"

"So what are we going to do?" Jeff was getting impatient and confused.

"I'm calling in a favour."

"Sierra-Gulf Two, this is Sierra-Gulf One, do you copy?" Jack repeated into his radio. "Major Ferretti, this is Colonel O'Neill, please respond." Nothing came in response. "Dammit Louis answer me!" Jack yelled suddenly. Daniel, Teal'c and Sam looked at him in surprise. "Nothing." The colonel shook his head, not willing to meet their gaze. Teal'c and Carter peeled off to the right to circumvent a copse, Daniel and Jack took the opposite path.

"Feel like sharing?" The archaeologist squinted over his glasses at the colonel who was taking a swig from his water canteen.

"Sure." The colonel offered Jackson the bottle. Daniel just stared for a second and cleared his throat pointedly. "OK, OK! I'm a little stressed out. I don't have many friends. I don't want to bury another one."

"Yeah, I get it."

"C'mon Danny, Louis has been in the game as long as we have, one of the grand old men of the SGC."

"We're hardly that old."

"I am. Ferretti is barely older than you though."

"Plus he's the only part of your old life left." Jack didn't reply. "The last of your old unit." No response. "Kawalski and Ferretti were the only two who stuck by you when your life fell apart after Charlie died." Finally a nod. Danny decided not to push his friend any further, but Jack himself suddenly rallied and decided to change the subject.

"Are you going to make up with Janet." Daniel choked on his water.

"Who told you?"

"It's only totally obvious Danny-boy. Since you two began hanging out she started teaching you a healthy lifestyle. Now I see you looking like you've been awake most of the night and trying to live on nothing but coffee and tacos. Rebelling against her after a blazing argument if I'm any judge.

"Look it was stupid, I'll talk to her when we get home."

"Good, I'm not going to see that best man's speech I've written go to waste."

"You're not trying to play the 'comparative success with women' game are you Jack?"

"No, god knows I'd stand no chance."

The woods gave the strangest impression that they were walking in circles. The walk had taken over an hour and they hadn't seen a single landmark, only an endless sea of barely differentiated nature. Ferretti hadn't answered any of his companion's questions, insisting that all would become clear.

"Where are we?" Sandra demanded. "And don't say 'you'll see'. If I wanted to hear that I'd go on a road trip with my Dad."

"OK. Look, just under three years ago, SG-2 came to this world and encountered a civilisation. All the members of SG-2 from that time have been killed in action since so I'm the only one who knows the full story."

"I don't remember anything from reports in the archives." Jeff was watching the forest with a slightly hunted look.

"There was some… errors of omission."

"You withheld information."

"I was the price of freedom. We were the type who keep our word, we swore never to reveal their existence until they were convinced we could be trusted…"

"What the hell?" The interruption came as an energy blast impacted before them. Ferretti stood perfectly still and forced himself to relax. Sandra and Jeff dove for cover and drew their weapons.

"Put them down." The major hissed. A voice rang out in an alien tongue; it seemed to be challenging them, asking questions. Louis couldn't see the watchers but he knew they were there. He took a final deep breath and reached for his dog tags, amongst the tags the chain also carried an engraved platinum disc, which he held up to catch the light. "I am Louis Ferretti, warrior and explorer of the Tau'ri. I come before you with respect to seek audience and the recompense of a debt of duty." Louis hoped he'd remembered the traditional words correctly.

Daniel had taken a turn with the radio, attempting to raise any member of SG-2. There was no response.

"C'mon guys. Wild Weasel, this is Space Monkey, do you read?" Even Ferretti's old Air Force nickname didn't get a reaction. Daniel sighed. It was looking more and more like another four MIA markers were going to go up in the memorial.

"Chambers to O'Neill. No sign so far, continuing with search pattern." Jack didn't even acknowledge the signal; the report was a mere formality anyhow.

"Do not fear O'Neill. Major Ferretti is a cunning and spirited warrior, the best you have trained by far." Teal'c attempted to reassure O'Neill. "If he were seeking to avoid detection it is doubtful even we would discover him." Jack just nodded, staring into the middle distance.

"We're running out of time." Sam Carter muttered. "The General will only give us so long before calling us home and declaring them MIA."

"Care to suggest a solution major?" O'Neill growled, he didn't need Sam to spell it out to him.

"We have to head for the city and search for them there. I think we all know that it's the most likely place to find them." O'Neill nodded. The city was the most likely place it was true, but it was also far more dangerous, both in terms of what they could find out about SG-2, and what could happen to SG-1 and 9 on the way.

The figure that appeared before them was shrouded in a heavy cloak of mottled woodland colours. It was clearly armed and highly trained.

"Whatever you do, let me do the talking." The major instructed. "Trust me."

"Greetings Louis Ferretti." The alien's voice was accented but flawlessly understandable. The figure pulled back the heavy cowl of his cloak to reveal a face that was recognisable. Both Jeff and Sandra had seen images of this race before, but from SG-1 mission reports. "It has been a long time since you found our world Louis Ferretti. How goes your struggle with the Goa'uld?"

"The struggle never ends Huntmaster. I and my team have inflicted defeats upon them, as have our comrades."

"Such as the celebrated SG-1?" The 'Huntmaster' smiled wryly. "Even out here we hear of their exploits. Some of our allies praise them most effusively."

"One does not begrudge an ally their victories towards the cause." Ferretti was choosing his words with extreme care, speaking in a manner that would properly address the society he was dealing with. "As you can see I travel with new comrades, those who followed me before have since fallen in the ongoing struggle."

"This is saddening, they fell in battle?"

"Indeed, several had risen to lead units like this themselves."

"Very well. When you discovered our world we swore you to secrecy on pain of your life to not reveal our existence. In recompense we swore that we would honour one request you made upon our resources. You have come to make that request."

"I have indeed."

"I trust that you will not ask too much."

"I ask only what is necessary on this day. I require an introduction. Help me make contact with an Asgard ship."

Huge granite walls. A forbidding place to approach at the best of times but even more so when searching for lost comrades.

"O'Neill. This configuration is reminiscent of several Goa'uld strongholds which I have overseen during my career." Teal'c spoke, gesturing with his staff.

"Wouldn't a fortress have some weapons to keep people out?" Jack quibbled.

"And have the gates shut?" Daniel interjected.

"As you say. Nevertheless I see more than adequate reason to be cautious. I do not believe we will find these details to be coincidental." SG-1 approached the city limits, there seemed to be very few people about. This didn't bode well, combined with the destroyed tower - an obvious long-range sentry - the deserted streets were signs of a crisis or disaster that could have claimed the lives of a good team.

"Major you do realise that in a few minutes we will be officially overdue back at the SGC." Sandra had looked at her watch to discover the trek through the woodland had taken longer than it had seemed. This second leg of the hike wasn't much different from the first save that now the Huntmaster was leading them. Ferretti had finally deigned to explain the situation to them.

"They're Nox aren't they?" Jeff had originally asked.

"Not exactly." The major had responded cryptically.

"How not exactly Louis." Sandra had had more than enough.

"OK. Let me try and keep this simple. We all know the basic details of our official allies. Right?"

"Right." The captain and brevet-captain chorused.

"Right. You know the Nox are a pacifistic, isolationist society that defend themselves by illusion and misdirection. OK?"

"Sure."

"And we also know that they were once part of a huge military alliance that included the Asgard, the Ancients and the Furlings. Do you see the contradiction."

"I guess." Sandra muttered and Jeff nodded in agreement.

"So at one point the Nox must have changed from one end of the scale to the other. Still with me?"

"Yes!" Again they spoke in unison and with some impatience.

"What if not all of them agreed on the policy?"

"Woah!"

"Woah indeed captain. These are the 'Outcasts'. That is the name they usually go by nowadays, their actual name more of less fell out of use. They're a genuine offshoot society from the Nox who keep to the more… vigorous ways of their forebears. And with luck they can still contact the Asgard."

"If you wanted the Asgard you could have just asked Colonel O'Neill."

"I'm doing this my way thank you Captain McLeash." The Huntmaster had halted in front of them. The wood had opened slightly and the sky could be seen. The Huntmaster touched a control upon his bandoleers and an instant later the world filled with white light and the hum of transport technology.

They had decided to stay together in an eight-strong force. The SG teams found the avenues and piazzas around them deserted. Teal'c swept the buildings around them with his intense gaze.

"We are under surveillance." Jack nodded in response, he could feel it himself, instincts that were engraved down into his very bones after a long career in the military. Something caught his eye.

"Carter?" The major looked pale.

"There's a hell of a lot of naquadah here somewhere sir. Probably a reactor, it feels like my blood's boiling." Jack paused to check his 2IC's pupils and pulse. They appeared normal but he wasn't willing to take too much of a chance with Sam. Even without actual physical effects the dizziness and nausea could get her killed.

"Teal'c, stay with Carter. Guard her with your life." Teal'c had the grace not no raise his eyebrow at the colonel's phrasing.

"You hear that?" Daniel raised his head as her spoke. They all listened, and heard the distant sound of many, many marching feet. Marching feet coming closer.

"I guess that it's too much to hope for that it's just parade season." Jack released the safety on his rifle as he chose a direction that seemed to lead away from the sound. SG-1 and 9 picked up the pace as they moved out.

Looking down at the woods below them SG-2 could not help but marvel at the sight. This was undeniably a first; no one else from Earth had ever stood aboard one of these great floating city-ships, not even SG-1.

"We are now officially one hour overdue Major."

"We should have enough time before they declare us MIA and lock out our GDOs. If not we go home by ship." Ferretti spoke as if what he was proposing was the easiest thing in the world. Frustrated and tired as they were McLeach and Duncan couldn't help but be won over by his confidence.

"Louis Ferretti." The voice of an Outcast came from behind them. "The Conclave is ready to hear you. You companions may accompany you but they must remain at peace in accordance to the laws of the Conclave."

"I am familiar with the laws of the Conclave. I argued before them once before." Ferretti reminded the Outcast. SG-2 abandoned the last of their equipment outside the Conclave chamber and entered.

Forming a defensive line in an ornamental rock garden the SG teams prepared to face the crowds that had swarmed to box them in and utterly entrap them. They had moved with an unnerving determination, almost fanatical. More disturbing however was the small percentage of armed figures that moved with an artificial stiffness like puppets in human form. Trapped and outnumbered O'Neill felt the sudden urge to say something dramatic.

"On my signal, unleash hell." This troops chuckled at the reference but then steeled themselves for the fight. With six P-90 rifles, Teal'c staff weapon and the zat Daniel had decided would make more of an impact than his pistol. In this situation they could lay down a withering defensive curtain. The enemy however didn't look like casualties would stop them. "What the hell did Ferretti do to bring this down?" The colonel grimaced. Humour aside he had resigned himself to not finding SG-2, for one reason or another.

"You are Louis Ferretti. Warrior and explorer of the Tau'ri." The Speaker of the Conclave had a voice that rolled and echoed in the chamber.

"I am."

"In accordance with the laws of honour and a debt between us you have asked for a favour to be granted."

"I have."

"State your justification." Ferretti knew this was largely a formality but he still wanted to present his case as well as possible.

"When I last stepped upon your world you threatened to imprison myself and my team to prevent my people knowing of yours. You did not have any reason to trust us and feared an impact upon relations with your pacifist cousins. At length my team and I agreed to swear on pain of dire retribution to never reveal what we had found on this world. This oath was kept; three of those who came here last have since fallen in battle without revealing what took place. I too have kept the secret. To compensate for the imposition you forced upon us you promised to grant one favour asked of you by any member of SG-2. I, the last of those to whom the debt is owed have come to claim the favour now."

"What is the boon you seek?"

"Your people are ancient allies of the Asgard, the division of your people has not changed this. I request that you help me make contact with the Asgard and pass on information to them."

"For what purpose?"

"We have discovered a relic of one of their ancient enemies. I believe that they would want to know of it so that they could dispose of it. We also wish to see it destroyed."

"Elaborate."

"Less than a day ago we discovered a world on which this enemy placed an experimental artificial intelligence matrix. The matrix was set the task of guiding the development of the human civilisation of that world. Its methods were improvised based on those of the former rulers of the world - the Goa'uld. Having seen this world first hand I am convinced that the people of that world live in the shadow of an obscenity that must not be allowed to stand. Sentient beings are implanted with electronic components rendering them little more than the unknowing tools of a machine that masquerades as a god. One of our comrades was violated in this manner and we seek to free him through the destruction of this 'Great Thinker' as it styles itself. For the first time in my life I have encountered a horror beyond even the System Lords. For this reason I trade in my favour from you in the furtherance of its destruction."

"You believe the Asgard will aid you?"

"Our experience with the Asgard has shown them to place a high premium on sentient life - hence their protected planets. They surely must act against this, especially as it is a leftover from an old enemy long crushed otherwise."

"Very well Louis Ferretti. You make your case well and we find your request, and its motivation acceptable."

"You will help he tell the Asgard?"

"We have already done so." A door opposite the one by which SG-2 had entered opened and a petite grey figure entered.

"Greetings Louis Ferretti. I am Commander Magni of the Asgard Fleet.

It had taken only a few hours for everything to go straight to hell. Three hours after their arrival O'Neill and his team were fighting for their lives. They had maintained a respectable kill zone around their position and so far no one had come within two hundred metres of their position and lived to tell. The enemy had charged them screaming with a fanatical anger. Jack had the feeling that some god or other had been angered and its people were following it to the death. The others though, the armed ones, with stiff limbs and implacable advances, striding forward as if they placed no value on their lives. Or as if whatever was controlling them placed no value on their lives. Jack had seen fanaticism in the followers of the Goa'uld, he had heard of the cannon fodder tactics but this cold, callous expending of lives rendered down to unthinking weapons was something else entirely. Ammo was running low and half the group had broken out zats to supplement the rifles that had been limited to semi-auto firing to conserve what they had left. The toll had been appalling; Jack and his team had done their best to disable without killing outright but that had frequently ceased to be an option in the crazed melee. The charge had halted, as it had halted several times, the puppet-like ones who seemed to direct - yes, direct rather than lead - the others had been eliminated and the normal people hesitated as they waited for new direction.

The Asgard had led them into a separate chamber where they could discuss their options. Something had been nagging at Jeff's mind, a reference from the Norse myths.

"So, would that be 'Magni', as in the son of Thor?"

"Indeed." The small alien confirmed.

"How come you were already here?" The major was intrigued.

"My ship was on a courier mission when the Outcasts contacted us. As the nearest Asgard vessel we agreed to make a detour to hear your appeal. We decided that I would listen in on your address to the Conclave and thus properly judge your motives. We were satisfied."

"So we can go and deal with the Thinker? I can provide the Stargate chevrons if you need them to navigate."

"Indeed. I have already delivered the information I was carrying and we may leave as soon as you are ready."

"Will the trip take long?" Magni paused and turned to face the major, with a single look the Asgard was able to communicate that Ferretti's question had been the stupidest he'd ever heard.

A figure had been dragged out in front of the baying mob. Daniel squinted at the green clad figure and recognised him all too readily.

"It's Leo Styles."

"SG-2's physicist?" Jack muttered, suddenly struck by how hard it was to keep track on SG-2's ever shifting membership.

"You will surrender now, or your comrade will face the consequences." The voice was dull and lacking in inflection, but the staff weapon held to Styles' head gave the words all the weight they needed.

"D'oh!" The colonel turned to his troops and checked their reactions. Selling their own lives as dearly as possible was one thing, sacrificing a captive comrade was another. Eight weapons were hurled over the improvised barricades and a white rag on a stick raised in signal of their reluctant surrender. The stiff, zombie-like leaders surrounded them and Dr Styles was dragged over to join them. The scientist looked rough, clearly traumatised and was shaking uncontrollably.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." They were about to reassure him when an unnatural stiffness overtook the body and his eyes lost all expression. "Now you will see the price of further interference with this project." The voice was empty and Jack shuddered at the thought of whatever was playing this man like a string puppet.

The Huntmaster who they had first met had accompanied them aboard the Asgard cruiser. Although he had not spoken since the Conclave it seemed clear that he had some purpose other than overseeing the fulfilment of their bargain.

"Impressive." Ferretti had said when they had first been transported aboard. It was a safe description from someone who was nowhere near qualified to judge further.

"By the standards of the fleet this ship is all but an antique, useful mainly for courier runs and convoy escort. The design has been one of the longest lasting but in a few years the new Carter-class will become operational and these will be finally obsolete." Magni had responded. "Have no fear however, this ship will be sufficient for the task before us."

"Good."

"Tell me Ferretti. What is it about this machine that so offends you."

"I've seen atrocities before on Goa'uld worlds, but never anything so callous or cruel as the Great Thinker. It doesn't even treat people as well as the Goa'uld because it isn't capable of seeing any value in them beyond the performance of a task. In comparison the Goa'uld have to see value in humans or they wouldn't bother enslaving them."

Whatever had seized Leo Styles' mind had now released him once more. He seemed to be falling into himself as his mind struggled with the horror inflicted upon it. He had been left with the other captives while some kind of preparations was being made elsewhere. He had been able to reiterate the true situation to Colonel O'Neill, much as he had to Major Ferretti only a few hours before.

"The other people here don't understand me. They don't understand my horror of being chosen to have the 'spirit move them' as they think of it. They think their god is honouring them."

"It could be worse…" O'Neill began.

"How could it possibly be worse!" Styles interrupted, almost screaming.

"Um… well the Goa'uld… At least this way you have some freedom at times." O'Neill found himself desperately countering.

"It's worse. I'm never really free, I only have the illusion of freedom and the constant fear that any second I could be taken over. I don't know what I do when the machine takes over; I'm essentially unconscious. It's one thing to know what you've been made to do but another to live with not knowing what you might have done."

"Deus ex machina." Daniel muttered, "God in the machine."

"We will do what is necessary to defeat this 'Great Thinker' as we have against the other false gods we have slain." Teal'c rumbled, the situation was playing on one of his greatest hatreds: false gods. The powerful emotions it evoked were barely kept beneath the surface.

"This is different." Leo was almost pleading. "People don't realise what's happening because all the clues the Goa'uld inadvertently leave aren't here to be found. These people here don't realise that they're slaves. Less than slaves really, 'instrumentalis vocalae'.

"What?" Sam Carter mumbled, her head pounding from the proximity of an improperly shielded naquadah reactor.

"The old Greek term for a slave, it translates as 'tool that talks'." Daniel supplied and Leo nodded in response.

"We're almost six hours overdue Major." Sandra didn't really care about timekeeping anymore but kept up with it for form's sake. The ship was hurtling through hyperspace at speeds too great to mean much to the human imagination. The Outcast world had been comparatively distant from the home of the Great Thinker but to a craft that could cross the intergalactic emptiness in hours it was easy. Ironically the part of the plan that involved interstellar travel was taking less time to execute than any other part. "They must have sent someone to look for us by now." Ferretti absorbed this point and swore, loudly and at length, attracting curious glances from the aliens on the bridge.

"They'll probably send SG-6, or maybe 9. Dammit I hoped we could sort this out before anyone else got into trouble."

They were led into a vault; the dust trembled on the floor from the vibrations from the reactor. Jack was supporting Carter, who had muttered something about the state the reactor must be in to produce this effect on her before practically passing out. They were directed into a pit, evidently recently cut into the cavern floor, which was surrounded by armed but vacant eyed guards.

"I warned Ferretti what would happen if you persisted in interfering!" The booming electronic voice echoed dramatically.

"And then what happened to him?" O'Neill demanded

"Don't play games with me. I sent him back to the gate, watched his confederates leave before he destroyed my sentry tower with explosives. He must have returned to you, and my warning must have been disregarded."

"Now wait a minute…"

"Enough!" A guard raised his staff weapon and readied it, aiming it into the pit and its trapped occupants. The muzzle flared, Jack threw himself in front of Sam but it was too late, and unnecessary. Leo Styles hit the floor of the pit and rolled the ugly charring across his chest explaining who had taken the shot. The scientist had thrown himself in front of the blast. Pete Chambers tried to help the rapidly expiring man sit up, Leo pawed at the captain and his mouth moved once before his stare became blank, not with the vacancy of possession but the emptiness of death.

"He said 'freedom'." Captain Chambers reported. It seemed Leo's last noble gesture had been pointless as the entire company now raised their weapons. Jack tightened his hold on Carter, raging that she was too insensible to hear any last good bye. Daniel closed his eyes and silently mouthed name of a certain doctor. Teal'c raised his head defiantly.

The transport beam took them at the very last moment.

"Sensors have targeted the computer core and naquadah reactor." Magni stated and began adjusting controls. "We are charging weapons to deliver the electromagnetic pulse." The fact that a zat-gun disabled the technology that was used to control the population had led them to the conclusion that a powerful EMP strike would be the best strategy. This would not only permanently disable the Great Thinker but also free anyone with cranial implants from further control - from old sources or new. A shrill warning signal sounded. "There appear to be prisoners in the main chamber. Several of them are being recognised by our metabolic library." A screen flared to life and displayed a scanner image of the main chamber, complete with execution squad and the eight figures in the pit.

"SG teams!" Jeff and Sandra chorused

"Jack! Danny!" Ferretti spluttered.

"We can transport them out but the equipment must be calibrated to account for the volume of intervening rock." Magni informed them.

"Less saying, more doing." Louis snapped to nods from his team. The screen showed the guard raise his staff, showed Leo's desperate intervention, showed the every guard in the chamber ready to destroy SG-1 and SG-9.

The transport beam took them at the very last moment.

Jack opened his eyes, confused at the absence of pain after the flash of light. The rock floor was gone, replaced by tasteful purple decking. Decking with boots standing on it. The colonel rolled over to look up into the anxious eyes of Louis Ferretti. Heaving himself upright Jack carried Carter over to a spare chair and deposited her with utmost care. Only then did he turn to the major with an inquiring expression. Ferretti snapped to attention.

"Sir. I regret to inform you that I have led my team in unorthodox and unauthorised actions. Furthermore I have wilfully stepped out of SG-1's shadow, defiantly stolen your thunder, and recklessly saved your butt. I take full responsibility for the actions of myself and my team." Jack nodded and grabbed his old friend in a bear hug before noting:

"I don't have to chew you out for this, the General will do that for me."

"Fine, shall we kill the machine now?" There was a chorus of encouragement.

"Sure."

"Colonel O'Neill, this is Magni, Thor's son."

"I can see the family resemblance. Hey, how's your dad?"

"Is the EMP ready?" Magni nodded and a few seconds later a tremor ran through the old ship. Through the view-port they could see a bright flare arcing planetwards.

"Shouldn't we do something for the people down there?" Daniel asked. Jack shook his head, good ol' compassionate Daniel.

"By the sounds of it they've had too much of people telling them what to do."

The SG personnel began to relax and mingle, swapping stories. The cruiser hurtled through space in the direction of Earth. Jack heard his name called and saw Carter stirring. Dashing to her side he helped her sit up, squeezing her hand.

"Feeling better?"

"I guess, where are we?"

"Asgard ship, Louis has been making friends on company time."

"Heading for home?"

"Sure."

"Wake me up when we get there."

General George Hammond almost choked on his coffee when eleven SG team members an Asgard and an alien he'd never seen before teleported into his office. Master Sergeant Davis politely excused himself and went to announce the safe return of SG-1, 2 and 9. It was entirely coincidental that the first people he told were Janet Fraiser and Ferretti's main squeeze Dr Amy Finch. Meanwhile Hammond ordered standard post-mission examinations while the Asgard Commander and the Huntmaster explained a few things to him.

Major Louis Ferretti stood at attention in full dress uniform before General Hammond. Colonel O'Neill and Captain Chambers stood off to one side.

"You had one hell of a mission son." The General began. "The kind of mission that could make or break a career. Do you have anything to say before I announce my conclusions."

"I take full responsibility. My team were innocent of any impropriety and frequently expressed objections to my plans."

"Nevertheless, they have spoken very highly of you. As have Dr Jackson, Dr Fraiser, Colonel O'Neill, Captain Chambers, Major Carter, Teal'c, Sergeant Siler, Major Davis, shall I go on?"

"No sir."

"This is a tricky one Major. On the one hand to admit to having withheld information from this command, made an unauthorised agreement with an alien power, disregarded all protocol and procedure, neglected to maintain communication and taken unauthorised unilateral action on a scale unprecedented outside an SG-1 mission." The General was trying to suppress a smirk. "On the plus side you have saved the lives of eight of your comrades - although your actions did contribute to putting them in danger in the first place. You have strengthened our ties with the Asgard, and your conduct has convinced the Outcast nation to finally accept formal contact between our peoples. You have also based your actions on a strong desire to do the right thing and that must be noted." The silence lengthened. "The Pentagon have laid this matter entirely in my hands although their stance on this situation will probably ensure that you should give up on ever making general." This didn't bother Ferretti at all. O'Neill winked at him from out of Hammond's line of sight. "My own inclination however, having taken all factors into account is that there should be no further disciplinary measures taken." Louis felt the weight leave his shoulders. "Nevertheless this incident means that your team can no longer be considered the fast track unit it has previously been seen as. SG-2 will from now on be an effectively permanent unit, as SG-1 is and SG-7 will have to cater for our rising stars."

O'Neill and Ferretti walked through the corridors of the SGC. Gladness in their hearts and looking for some trouble. Ferretti had admitted that having a permanent team suited him fine and having met Lieutenant Bury their new linguist and sniper - what a combination - was optimistic about the future.

"Louis." Jack sounded hesitant.

"Yeah?"

"You don't really feel like you're in my shadow do you?"

"Sometimes. I think I'll get the chance to break out with a permanent team rather than running a perpetual training program."

"Well, thanks for saving our collective asses."

"OK. Sorry for endangering the collective asses in the first place."

"No problem. I taped the hockey game. Wanna pick up some beer and donuts then watch it? I'm sure the others would like to come but Danny-boy is talking with Janet-girl, Sam's playing with dohickies and Teal'c is being pure Teal'c."

"You're buying?"

"Sure."

"I'm in."

"So it's just the grand old men.

"Less of the old…"

The End.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Chris Spurgeon