Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In Too Deep part 1

by cabouse18
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Title: In too Deep

In too Deep

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: I don't own them so don't sue me

Season/Spoilers: seven but no real spoilers. Janet is already dead so it takes place after Heroes but before Lost City.

Author's Note: Thanks to JO.R for giving me the confidence to write this myself. This only my second SG-1 so please be gentle. And enjoy!

Summary: Sam goes undercover for the CIA

Please send feedback

~Part 1~

General Hammond's office

"I don't mind telling you Agent Sullivan that I am a little skeptical about this whole situation. I wish you would tell me more about is going on." The general said clasping his hands in front of him on his desk

"I don't blame you. However this situation calls for someone with Major Carter's expertise as both a solider and as a scientist. As for what is going on you will have to wait until Major Carter arrives"

Several moments later there is a soft knock at the door. Rising from his desk Hammond asks the knocker to enter, a moment later Sam swiftly entered the room being sure to close the door behind her. After introducing the two to each other all three of them sat down and Hammond spoke

"Major I asked you here because it would seem the CIA is in need of your help"

"My help sir?"

"Yes. Major your help."He replied nodding to Sullivan giving him permission to speak. In turn the man hands a vanilla folder marked `confidential' to each of them.

Her curiosity already peaked Sam opened the folder and began reading up on the women whose picture adorned the left side of the folder. Unfortunately reading the paperwork answered no questions as to why the CIA would want her help. The only thing the file told her was Dr. Jessica Turney was a scientist who worked for the government assessing the plans and performance of top secret weapons. "What does this have to do with me? I don't know this Dr. Turney"

"Six months ago it was discovered that she had begun selling information as well technology to a man who has numerous terrorist ties around the world. We're not sure how much she was able to get to him or just how long it had been going on. What we do know is that they never met face to face. All the money she received was from an off shore bank account. So it's been difficult to trace"

Hammond shared a similar look of confusion with Sam "I still don't see why you need Major Carter's help"

"Two days ago Dr. Turney was getting ready to leave the country. At the time we believed she may have been on to the fact that we were onto her but we later discovered that she intended to meet with the buyer face to face in order to sell him some extremely dangerous material. Fortunately we were able to keep her from leaving the country however she was killed in a car accident during our pursuit to apprehend her. This is what has brought me here to Cheyenne."

"I still don't understand if she was selling actual technology how did she get it out of the country?" Sam was trying desperately to grasp the situation. Of course she knew that the selling of information on the country's top secret weapons was a matter of national security what she didn't get was what it had to do with her.

"That is something we still haven't figured out. What we need from you Major is to pose as Dr. Turney and go meet the buyer in her place"

To say Sam was shocked was a bit of an understatement. For one thing she had no training in undercover work that was the Colonel's area of expertise and another why couldn't the CIA just send in one of its own operatives? What the hell did they want her for? "Why me?"

"No one knows that she is dead and the meeting isn't set for another two days. Turney only fled because she found out we were onto to her. All the buyer knows is that Turney was a woman and a scientist, nothing else. You are perfect because you are a scientist as well as soldier. Plus we don't have time to train an operative for any contingencies that might come up related to any of the technology Turney may have sold."

The agent sounded a little desperate which meant something big had gone missing. Something big enough for the CIA to ask a U.S Air Force officer to go undercover in place of one of their agents in order to retrieve stolen technology. She was starting to get a strong sense of dj vu. Seeing the unease etched all over her face the general quickly reminded her that the mission was voluntary and the decision to do it was hers and her alone, he couldn't and wouldn't order her to take part in it

"I know sir but we can't let sensitive technology fall into the hands of those who might use it against us. I'll do it"

"There is one more thing"

It wasn't that he said it. It was the way he said it that made Hammond's gut churn at the thought of one of his officers heading off with this man but he trusted Sam's judgment as well as her ability as solider. He had a pretty good idea of what the agent's reply would be but he asked anyway. "What's that?"

"No one else is to know about the Major's assignment"

Sam felt her heart drop. She knew the others wouldn't be believe her just taking some leave out of the blue, especially Colonel O'Neill and quite frankly she didn't want to have to lie to them about where she was going."I can't just disappear from the SGC. The Colonel, Daniel and Teal'c are going to wonder where I am"

"I'm sorry but given the delicateness of this operation it needs to remain in this room. I'm sure General Hammond can come up with something as to why you needed to leave so abruptly"

"Sir they're not just going to buy me leaving no matter what you say. At least let me tell Colonel O'Neill"

Hammond knew exactly why she wanted to O'Neill about her mission. Sg-1 was the closest team on the base and the last time one of their members was involved in an undercover mission that relationship was strained. That and he knew Jack O'Neill was going to flip out when he discovered what his second command was really doing. "Unfortunately she is right Agent Sullivan"

"Fine tell them she is on loan to the agency for an intelligence briefing about technology related to the program but nothing beyond that"

His answer seemed a little rehearsed, almost as if he knew she was going to ask the general to let the others know. She desperately wanted to tell the Colonel where she was going just in case something should happen but she knew the agent would never agree. Sighing in defeat she nodded to the general that she accepted the lame cover story even though she knew they wouldn't buy it. "So when do we leave?"

"Right now. We'll be heading to Peterson where you will be fully briefed and ship out from there"

"Where exactly are you headed or can't you tell me that" Hammond's question dripped with sarcasm but the agent seemed unfazed

"Brazil but that is all I can tell you General"

Thankful that he was even able to get that much out of the man he turned to Sam "Major good and come back safe"

"Thank you sir. Tell the others I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye" She hoped he understood her hidden meaning in those words. Should something happen to her she didn't want her team to think that she had purposefully kept them out of the loop when in fact she had fought to get them in.

"I will" As soon as Sam left the room Hammond turned his attention back to Sullivan."Agent Sullivan I don't mind telling you that I have my doubts that you aren't telling me everything and that it annoys the hell out of me." Sullivan went to speak but Hammond raised his hand to stop him "I understand the need for secrecy I just don't like it" The man simply walked out of the room without uttering a word. "I hope for you sake she comes back safe Agent Sullivan" he uttered to the empty room

To be