Sticks and Stones by Kimberly
Summary: It will take several chapters but this is my attempt to explain the hot and cold relationship of Jack and Sam.
Categories: Jack/Sam Characters: None
Episode Related: None
Genres: Angst
Holiday: None
Season: Season 8
Warnings: minor language, sexual situations
Crossovers: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 43149 Read: 17854 Published: 2004.08.08 Updated: 2004.08.08

1. Sticks and Stones Chapter 1 by Kimberly

2. Sticks and Stones Chapter 3 by Kimberly

3. Sticks and Stones Chapter 4 by Kimberly

4. Sticks and Stones Chapter 11 by Kimberly

5. Sticks and Stones Chapter 14 by Kimberly

6. Sticks and Stones Chapter 16 by Kimberly

7. Sticks and Stones Chapter 17 by Kimberly

8. Sticks and Stones Chapter 18 by Kimberly

9. Sticks and Stones Chapter 22 by 7 League Boots

10. Sticks and Stones Chapter 23 by Kimberly

11. Sticks and Stones Chapter 24 by Kimberly

12. Sticks and Stones Chapter 25 by Kimberly

13. Sticks and Stones Chapter 26 by Kimberly

14. Sticks and Stones Chapter 27 by Kimberly

15. Sticks and Stones Chapter 29 by Kimberly

16. Sticks and Stones Chapter 30 by Kimberly

17. Sticks and Stones Chapter 31 by Kimberly

18. Sticks and Stones Chapter 32 by Kimberly

19. Sticks and Stones Chapter 35 by Kimberly

20. Sticks and Stones Chapter 38 by Kimberly

21. Sticks and Stones Chapter 40 by Kimberly

22. Sticks and Stones Chapter 43 by Kimberly

23. Sticks and Stones Chapter 45 by Kimberly

24. Sticks and Stones Chapter 46 by Kimberly

25. Sticks and Stones Chapter 47-50 by Kimberly

Sticks and Stones Chapter 1 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 1

Sticks and Stones Chapter 1

by Kimberly

Summary: It will take several chapters but this is my attempt to explain the hot and cold relationship of Jack and Sam.
Category: Angst
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: minor language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-08-08

Sticks and Stones Chapter 1:

Sam was the first one through the gate. With her gun raised, she began checking for trouble before Daniel and Teal'c had a chance to finish the trip through the gate. Jack had given them another meet and greet mission since he was still getting use to letting them go out without him.

"Alright Daniel, which way to that small village we saw on the UVA footage?" Sam knew the answer but she still felt obligated to ask. Jack had always asked so she figured it just felt right to do the same thing.

"Northwest about three clicks." Sam took the lead and Teal'c took the rear position. Daniel would alternate trying to engage each of them in conversation. He found it had become harder to break Sam's concentration since she had become a Lt. Colonel and accepted command of SG-1.

They had been traveling for twenty minutes when Sam signaled for them to stop. She looked at Teal'c and using only his eyes he let her know he had also heard movement in the trees. They all crouched low. Sam and Teal'c were looking for cover while keeping their eyes peeled for visitors. Daniel was trying to look in every direction at once.

Two men dressed in what appeared to be forest green and dark brown uniforms stepped out from behind a large tree that resembled a long-leaf pine. Sam and Teal'c both turned their weapons towards the men. Daniel slowly stood, after wordlessly getting Sam's permission, and began his howdy speech.

"I'm Daniel and this is Sam and Teal'c. We came through the stargate. We want to be friends." As Daniel spoke men on horses came out of the trees and surrounded SG-1. Sam became more anxious as she realized that they didn't have a clear path back to the stargate. All the men on horseback were armed with what appeared to be some type of projectile weapon. An older man sitting on a horse behind them was the first to speak.

"Do you mean the stone ring of death?"

"Uhm, that could be one way to describe it. We prefer to call it a stargate, because we use it to visit other planets."

"You will drop your weapons now." Sam knew it had just become her turn to join the conversation.

"Sorry but no. We carry our weapons to..." Sam didn't have a chance to finish what she was saying because a heavily booted foot struck her in the back of the head. Sam stumbled forward from the unexpected impact. She landed on all fours right in front of the horse carrying the man who had been speaking to them.

The horse was surprised by her fall and reared up. Teal'c jumped forward and grabbed Sam's arm. He pulled her back towards him just as the horse landed where Sam had been kneeling moments before. Sam fell into Teal'c embrace.

"Thanks, Teal'c." Sam touched the back of her head to check for an injury. "I'm alright." The man on the horse made eye contact with Teal'c.

"Keep your woman quiet if you want her to live." Sam rolled her eyes. She hated landing on these male dominated planets! Daniel moved in front of Sam and Teal'c.

"On our planet women are not restricted from speaking."

"That doesn't matter! Today you are here and you have to abide by our laws. If he can not control his woman then we will."

"Just let us go back to the stargate and we won't bother you again." Daniel began moving in the direction of the gate but a horse quickly blocked his progress.

"No. Our stories tell us about the evil that comes from the gate. We know enough to kill anyone who comes out of the stone ring of death. You will come with us to be questioned before we decide how you will die." It was obvious to SG-1 that they couldn't take all twelve men down without getting hurt. Sam laid her P-90 on the ground and unclipped her vest. Teal'c and Daniel followed her example. The two men not on horseback picked up their gear and left through the trees.

Another man got off his horse and handed Teal'c a rope.

"Tie her hands. Make it tight. If she escapes you will all be killed." Teal'c looked at Sam. She raised her wrists and nodded her consent. Teal'c tied her hands but left her enough room so her circulation wouldn't be affected. The free end of the rope was tied to the saddle of a horse.

The man who had handed the rope to Teal'c proceeded to tie up Daniel and Teal'c. SG-1 was forced to run to keep up with the pace set by the riders. At one point, Daniel tripped and ended up being dragged for several feet before he managed to regain his footing. Sam turned around several times to check on her team. When Daniel fell, she barely managed to hold her tongue. Her mind was racing, looking for opportunities to get her team out of this. The sooner they got away from these chauvinistic pigs the better.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 3 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 3

Sticks and Stones Chapter 3

by Kimberly

Summary: SG-1 needs to be rescued. Will Sam make it?
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-08-10

Sticks and Stones Chapter 3:

"AS I TOLD YOU BEFORE YOU ARE ON OUR WORLD!" The man on stage was breathing rapidly and trying to regain control of his temper. "Bring the reader."

Several women left the room and returned later with a young girl. The girl looked terrified.

"Read her. Tell us to whom she belong." The girl never looked at any one in the room. She simply nodded her head yes and moved towards Sam.

The girl studied Sam for a moment before reaching out to touch her face. Sam seemed transfixed by the girl. Neither of them moved for several moments. Daniel and Teal'c were both about to push the girl away when she let go and took a step back. Sam looked confused but unharmed.

"Well?" The man standing on the stage was looking at the girl. She turned towards him but she never lifted her face.

"He heart belong to her leader but she has given her body to another, neither of them is with her today." The girl bowed and moved out the door.

"Take her to the circle." The man looked at Sam with disgust.

"What are you going to do?" Daniel and Teal'c moved to block the guards from Sam as Daniel screamed to the man looking down at them. One of the guards grabbed the free end of Sam's rope off the ground. Six other guards moved towards Daniel and Teal'c.

"She will be stoned to death for betraying her betrothed." Teal'c began shoving his body into the guards. He took down two before three others pinned him. Daniel ran towards the guard closest to him but was surprise as he was tackled from behind. He and Teal'c were both having trouble fighting because their hands were tied and they were weaponless.

A shot rang out in the hall. All of the guards and SG-1 stopped moving. The man on stage pointed his weapon at Sam.

"If you all prefer to die here and now it would be my pleasure." Daniel and Teal'c looked at Sam and she used her eyes to tell them to back off.

They were all dragged outside. Sam was tied to a pole in the center of a garden in front of the main building. Daniel and Teal'c were tied to pillars on the porch of the building. From this spot, they had an unobstructed view of Sam. The women knelt in a large circle surrounding the garden. They began to hum and rock back and forth. If Sam's life wasn't on the line Daniel would have been intrigued. These were the first sounds he had heard any woman make, except for the reader, since they had arrived.

Teal'c watched the men pass around buckets of rocks. The rocks were piled high in the buckets and there were plenty of buckets to go around. Stoning was obviously a common occurrence for these people. The men had formed a circle between Sam and the ring of humming women. The man from the stage was the first to step into the garden.

"Our women are treasures which must be guarded and protected from evil. For those who are not well protected or who choose to give themselves to evil we are entrusted to free them from the evil. Let us not shy away from our sacred duty to protect the righteous." He turned and looked at Sam. Sam had given up faking a meek posture and looked him in the eye. She saw his face contort as she faced him. "May your Lord have mercy on your corrupted soul and may those who watch you suffer realize the price of disobedience."

"I die free!" Sam locked eyes with Teal'c and nodded. She had heard him use the phrase in many deadly situations and felt it was fitting in this case. He recognized her words as paying him an honor and bowed his head.

Her words had further incited the men around her. She watched them each pick up several stones from the buckets. Sam held herself rigid as she looked at each man. She wanted every one of them to know she was strong. She made up her mind to keep her head up, at least until she passed out.

Without any other warning, the first stone was thrown by an elderly man to Sam's right. It was a weak throw but it was followed by larger rocks thrown with greater velocity. It didn't take Sam long to realize this was going to be a quick but painful death.

Teal'c and Daniel were struggling against the ropes as the stones began to fly. Teal'c kept his eyes focused on Sam. As ridiculous as it sounded, he hoped as long as he could see her she would survive. Daniel couldn't watch so he began looking at the tree-covered hills around the town. He knew Sam was going to survive without help, soon.

Teal'c was the first to see one of the men fall dead. He had been preparing to throw a large stone when his head exploded and his body fell back. Daniel heard the echo of the shot and knew help was hidden among the trees. As another man fell, the women began to run back to the building. Most of the men were following.

"I knew others would follow and kill us!" The man from the stage grabbed Daniel and tried to use him as a shield.

"Let us go and we will not return." Daniel was making himself a dead weight. The man was having a hard time holding him up.

"You are wrong Daniel Jackson. Someone must atone for the injuries sustained by Colonel Carter." Teal'c was looking at the man holding Daniel. An old man crawled out to the porch.

"Avarin, their weapons can kill without them showing their faces. The elders have decided to let them go and ask for their forgiveness."

"What?"

"You heard me. Let them go."

"You fools! They will kill us!"

"They might kill you but we do not think they will kill all of us." The man holding Daniel turned and kicked at the old man. Two of the younger guards cut the ropes holding Teal'c and Daniel to the pillars. Teal'c elbowed Avarin in the face. Avarin released Daniel so he could grab his broken nose.

Teal'c and Daniel ran to Sam. She was unconscious. Only the ropes tying her to the pole kept her upright. Her hair was matted with blood. There were large wounds on her head and face. Many of the cuts were very deep. Teal'c picked her up and began running towards the trees. Daniel had to work hard but he kept up.

Teal'c laid Sam down in front of Jack. Jacks eyes widened with horror at the site of her. You couldn't tell by looking at her that she was a blond. She was covered in blood and there were welts and bruises on her exposed arms. Daniel looked at the men of SG-3 and then at Jack.

"Thank God you got here when you did, Jack."

"It seems to me that we're a bit late Daniel." Jack felt for Sam's pulse. It was weak and faint. Her breathing was shallow and slow. It was obvious that they were losing her. As Jack reached into his pack for a med kit Teal'c held his wrist.

"There is no time O'Neill. We must get her back to the SGC as fast as possible." Jack rarely saw fear in Teal'c's eyes but when he looked up it was there. The realization that Teal'c was also scared made Jack's stomach tighter.

"You're right. Ok, head back to the gate. Radio SG-6 and tell them we are on our way. They have to keep the gate secure."

"Yes, sir." The men of SG-3 arranged themselves into protective ring around SG-1 and Jack. Teal'c picked Sam up and they started to jog back to the gate. The pace was faster then usual but slow enough that Daniel didn't have any trouble keeping up and Jack's knees only slightly protested. As they neared the gate Jack noticed Teal'c slow and look down at Sam.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 4 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 4

Sticks and Stones Chapter 4

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam has a long recovery ahead of her and will need help.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-08-11

Sticks and Stones Chapter 4:

"Teal'c?"

"I am afraid we have not been fast enough." Teal'c's eyes met Jacks. The sorrow and loss was writing across his face, although you had to know him well to realize it. Jack flicked his radio.

"SG-6, dial us out. I repeat, dial us out. Tell the SGC to have the doc waiting when we arrive. Our patient is critical." The gate was within sight and Jack could see the men following his orders. Teal'c never slowed again. He ran straight through the event horizon and descended the ramp barely stopping before running into the medical personnel waiting at the bottom.

Teal'c placed Sam on a gurney. The doc felt for a pulse and immediately ordered the medics to begin CPR. Jack arrived in time to see Sam being pushed out the door. There was a nurse straddling her body doing chest compressions. Jack's heart fell into his stomach.

SG-1 and Jack waited out in the hall leading to the infirmary. Jack heard the whine of the paddles being charged followed by the zap as they were used. That damn sound repeated itself more than once before it stopped. He couldn't hear the beeping of a heart monitor but he told himself that it probably just wasn't loud enough to be heard this far off. She had to live. He needed her. They all needed her.

It was over an hour before the doctor came out to talk with them.

"How is she, doc?"

"She's been sent to surgery, General O'Neill."

"For what?"

"There are a couple areas of bleeding inside her head. It was causing the pressure to rise inside her skull. The pressure was squeezing her brain and causing it to shut down. The neurosurgeon is going to put in a shunt to remove the excess fluid. Once we get the pressure down we will be able to analyze the true extent of her injuries."

"How will you stop the bleeding in her brain?" Daniel was pale white and barely holding himself upright as he spoke.

"If it doesn't stop on it's own the neurosurgeon may have to do more surgery later."

"How long until we can see her?" Jack stood ram rod straight. Daniel recognized soldier mode when he saw it.

"The surgery will take at least another hour, more if the bleeding requires intervention. After surgery, it will take us a few hours to get her settled and cleaned up. I suggest you all get some rest and something to eat. Come back in about four or five hours. I should know more then."

Daniel and Jack sat down in the plastic chairs along the hall. Daniel leaned forward and placed his head in his hands, which were propped up on his knees. Jack let his head fall back against the wall and closed his eyes. Teal'c remained ramrod straight watching over his two worried friends. He was afraid that Colonel Carter wasn't going to be lucky enough to survive this time. He wasn't sure what would happen to Daniel Jackson and O'Neill if she didn't make it.

Sam stayed on life support for three days with no change in her condition. The doctors said there were still indications of brain activity, although they admitted there was a significant chance of some degree of brain damage. They all agreed that she needed more time to heal before she would wake. They encouraged her team to talk to her often. Jack had every SG off world team leaving messages for the Tokra. He knew her father would want to be here for her.

It was eight days after bringing her back when Sam opened her eyes. Daniel was sitting with her when he saw her eyelashes flutter. Although her eyes opened slightly, she didn't seem to really be looking at anything.

"Hey, Sam. It's me, Daniel. Can you hear me? Sam?" There was no response and she closed her eyes again. The doctors told SG-1 that is was a good sign. They went back to waiting and watching. For an impatient man Jack was remarkably capable of sitting and staring at her for hours without fidgeting.

The next time her eyes opened Teal'c was sitting with Sam. He reached out and touched her hand. She did not look in his direction. He spoke to her for several minutes but her eyes remained unfocused. He didn't think she was really in that room with him. The sight of her vacant face with the open eyes sent chills down his spine. Teal'c had seen more horrors then most can imagine but the sight of his hollow friend was worse then all the horrors cataloged in his mind.

Teal'c was glad to leave when Jack came by to relieve him. Jack was exhausted. He was running the SGC and spending all of his spare time with Sam. He had been living off 3-4 hours of sleep, or less, each night for two weeks. As Jack sat down beside Sam he couldn't help but acknowledge that he was too old to keep it up for long. Jack jerked awake when he realized he had been disturbed by a moan. He looked around the infirmary but he didn't see any patient who could have made the sound. He briefly wondered if his own snoring had disturbed him. When he turned back to Sam, he saw her eyes were open and she was looking at him.

"Hey, Carter. How ya' feeling?"

"Car.....ter?"

"Yeah. That's your name." His chest tightened. They had told him to expect some brain damage but he hadn't been ready for this.

"Car......ter."

"Right. I'm General O'Neill."

"Neill."

"Not quite but it's a good try." Jack hit the nurse call button. When the nurse saw Jack was talking with Sam, she went to get the doctor.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 11 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 11

Sticks and Stones Chapter 11

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam's continuing recovery
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-02

Sticks and Stones Chapter 11:

"Sam?" Sam turned her head to look at Jack. "Do you remember what happened that night?" Sam had told Jack the story years earlier but he wanted her to put the pieces together on her own.

"I'm not sure." Sam bit her lip and creased her brow. The men gave her a few minutes of uninterrupted introspection. "He wanted to move out west. I don't member which base. He asked me to move to be with him. He was really bugging me about it. I didn't want to leave the Pentagon. He thought that meant our rela...relationship wasn't strong enough. At first, I said we could handle the distance. Slowly I began to realize he was right, we weren't meant to be together. Eventually he went too far and called my CO. He tried to get her to talk me into a transfer. My CO didn't fall for it and she told me." Sam took a pause and sipped her coffee. None of the men in room attempted to break her concentration.

"I was mad when I got home. I thought he would apologize but he blew up. I told him the wedding was off. When I turned my back on him to put the ring on the small bar between the kitchen and living room, he slammed me into the wall. Somebody told me later he could see blood in the dent my head left in the wall." Sam paused again. Jack could see her hands were shaking but she tightened her grip on her coffee cup.

"The next thing I knew he was sitting on me, across my hips, and hitting me in the face and the gut. I curled up in a ball. That's when he broke my ribs. Luckily, it had only been a few weeks since my last hand-to-hand combat course. I don't think Jonas ever practiced. I shifted my legs under him and rolled him off me. I tried to run but I was dizzy. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back towards him. I guess that's how I sprained my wrist." Sam stared at the table, slowly nodding her head. He voice was stable. She sounded like she was reciting a lecture at the academy. The emotions tied to this incident were being held tightly within her.

"At first I was acting off instinct. As he pulled me back, I turned myself around towards him. I raised my free arm and elbowed him in the face. He let go, probably out of shock. I probably could have escaped at that point but my anger took over. I think I kicked him hard at least twice and I know when he went down on his knees I used both fists to hit him on the back of the skull. I wasn't in control." Sam's voiced hitched during the last sentence. That was when Jack realized that losing control of the situation, and herself, bothered her more then what Jonas had pulled.

"We lived in a small apartment so I'm sure the cops were notified by our neighbors. They found us both beaten to a bloody pulp, breathing hard, in a tense stand off. The local cops preferred to let the MPs handle military fights so they let the medics check us out while we waited for the MPs. I was shipped off to the hospital before the MPs showed up. I was told later that Jonas was treated and released. They held me for a couple days because of the concussion and my kidneys. Apparently he had bruised them while I was still out cold." Sam shook her head as she remembered lying in the hospital.

"I was more worried about what charges I would face for hitting a superior officer and losing the respect of my peers then Jonas returning."

"You have got to be kidding." Jack's eyes grew wide. "They wouldn't have dared charge you for acting in self defense."

"It stopped being self defense when I didn't take the opportunity to escape and kept going after him, even after he was down." Sam met Jacks eyes and he could see she was serious. He hadn't realized until that moment the nature of the impact this experience had made upon her. "I promised myself as I laid in that bed that I would never allow myself to get into another situation where I would be forced to break so many regulations." Jack knew what she meant, even if she didn't, and had to look away from her.

"The MPs decided we had both learned a lesson and they didn't want to muddy our records when the fight appeared fairly equal. I agreed to let it drop."

"And Jonas? Did he let it drop?" Marks regained Sam's attention.

"No. He wouldn't let me get anything out of the apartment. A few days later, he was mysteriously beaten to a pulp. His being laid up again gave me a chance to get my stuff out of the apartment." Sam looked up at the two men across from her. She didn't attempt to hide the accusation in her eyes.

"Don't look at us. We weren't stationed anywhere nearby." Marks met her eyes without blinking.

"But you know who did it, don't you?" Sam maintained her eye contact with Marks.

"If I did I'd buy them a beer. Hell, I'd buy them a bar if they asked. The ass deserved every blow." A smirk appeared on Marks face. The pleasure he would have received from hitting Jonas was written across his face. Sam shook her head and gave him a small lopsided grin.

"He sent me a few bouquets, which I refused. I got letters at work that I sent back unopened. A couple times, he came to the pentagon but security was tight and my friends made sure he wasn't able to see me. I worked hard to keep my new address and phone number a secret so he never bothered me there. I guess he finally found something else, or somebody else, to entertain him because he drifted away and left me alone."

"I'm still sorry, Sam." Bryans looked her in the eye. "You didn't deserve that."

"Ditto." Marks spoke up before Sam had a chance to respond.

"There's nothing to be sorry for. It was a lesson I needed to learn and I took it to heart." Sam gave a small wry smile but kept her eyes on the table. Sam didn't realize Jack was fight the urge to put his hand on her leg under the table. He felt driven to do something to show her his support but he held himself in check.

"Is that why you're married with 2.5 kids and a white picket fence?" Marks couldn't believe he had said it as soon as he heard it leave his mouth. Sam's head flew up and her mouth gaped slightly open. Jack clinched his fists tight under the table. "God, I'm sorry, Sam. I didn't mean it like that." Sam sat for a moment in shock.

"You're probably right. Maybe as I get more memories back I'll find out that I have had a few stable relationships over the years. Maybe I'll find out that I have chosen to be alone and I'm happy that way. Maybe I'm really screwed up and I haven't been able to find anyone to put up with me. No matter what is the answer, it isn't your fault or Jonas'. If I discover I have any regrets, they will be due to my own choices. That was the lesson I learned, to trust myself, my gut. I learned to not let anyone rule my life. I know what a relationship shouldn't be like. No matter what, it was a good lesson." Sam smiled at the men across from her. It felt good to have these memories. They weren't happy but they were real, they were hers. They made her feel stronger.

Sam asked Marks and Bryans about their current assignments and lives. General Williams entered as Bryans was telling a story about his son pulling his pants off in the middle of JC Pennys when he was three years old. Sam was in stitches and a few moments late standing to salute as the General entered.

"At ease, please. It's good to see you so happy Colonel." Sam's smile was radiant.

"Thank-you, sir. I can honestly say this visit has helped me feel more like myself. The images in my head really feel like mine instead of a story."

"Maybe the key is to force yourself to remember instead of listening to others tell you what happened." Marks gave Sam a warm smile that made her remember other moments of warmth shared with him.

"You might be right. I'll certainly try it."

"Well, I hate to break up the party but our flight leaves soon gentlemen." General Williams motioned for Marks and Bryans to follow. Jack led the procession towards the elevator up to the surface. Sam pulled on Marks' sleeve and coaxed him to hang back just far enough so they could speak quietly without being overheard.

"There's something you haven't told me about us, isn't there?" Sam's eyes radiated her fear and seriousness. She didn't want to open old wounds but she needed this answer.

"Sort of but not really. I had hoped when we were stationed together that we would one day have a future together but my jealousy pushed you into Jonas' arms." Marks put his hand on Sam's shoulder. Jack turned his head enough to see the contact.

"When it all went to hell you sort of dropped off the face of the earth. I wanted to find you but I was too afraid of being rejected." His hand slid down her arm and his fingers entwined in hers.

"I have never gotten over you, Sam. You know where to find me if you ever..." Sam squeezed his fingers.

"Right now I have to find the rest of my life and figure out where I was before this happened."

"I understand, but if you discover you weren't where you wanted to be then look me up. I'd be honored to help you find happiness." Marks leaned over and gave Sam a peck on the cheek. She blushed. Jack coughed and grunted, breaking both officers out of their little world. They walked a bit quicker to catch up, releasing hands as they caught up to the group.

Daniel was waiting at the entrance to give Sam a ride home after she said good-bye to her guests. Sam was surprised that her day of self-discovery had wiped her. After a quick dinner with Daniel at her house, she excused herself and fell into a deep dream-filled sleep.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 14 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 14

Sticks and Stones Chapter 14

by Kimberly

Summary: I think you got the picture - she's recovering still.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-02

Sticks and Stones Chapter 14:

After dinner, the guys and Cassie watched Sam ride off on her bike towards home. She had made it clear she felt fine at home alone, so with a bit of reservation they let her leave. Jack caught Daniel before he and Cassie headed home.

"Daniel."

"Jack?" Daniel turned to see Jack walking quickly towards his car.

"I have a bunch of overstuffed shirts to entertain tomorrow." Jack dug his hands into his pockets and shuffled his feet.

"Ah, the joys of being in charge." Daniel smirked.

"Yeah, right. Anyway, Carter will probably get to the mission reports about Hanson tomorrow."

"I'll make sure I'm around." Jack grinned and looked up at Daniel.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

Daniel was surprised to find Sam already in her lab, reading reports, when he came in the next morning. He would never understand her desire to be up so early. Why didn't she need more sleep?

"Morning, Sam!" Daniel was chipper as he strolled into the lab.

"Daniel." Sam did not return his enthusiasm. Daniel figured she must have made it to the Hanson mission already. It amazed him how Jack could call them!

"Whatcha' reading?"

"Old mission reports."

"Hanson?" Sam looked up. Daniel wasn't sure but he thought he saw the beginnings of a tear in one eye.

"Yeah, how'd ya know?"

"Jack said you might get to that one today. What do you remember?" Daniel sat down on a stool beside her table.

"He thought I was going to fall back into his arms. He tried to kill Colonel O'Neill. In the end, Jonas was exposed as a murdering fraud and killed by the natives." Sam avoided making eye contact with Daniel as she gave her monotone report. He reached out and put two fingers under her chin. He lifted her face.

"There wasn't any way you could have known. Thanks to you, we were able to get in close enough to save Lieutenant Connor and the natives."

"I know you're right, but it doesn't make it easier to find out your ex-fiance is a lunatic."

"Ok, I'll give ya' that one. Have you made it past that mission?"

"Yeah, I was reading about Colonel O'Neill's son when you came in." Daniel realized that her emotions were more related to Jack then Jonas. That was a good sign.

"General."

"Huh?"

"It's General O'Neill now."

"Right, sorry. It's just so easy to think of him as Colonel O'Neill since that is as far as my own memory reaches."

Jack spent the morning with different dignitaries, both on the phone and in person. He was so glad to have a break for lunch! He headed straight down to Sam's lab, concerned about how she was dealing with the mission reports. He was thrilled to hear her laughter as he approached the door.

"I can't believe he ate the cake! What kind of fool would eat cake offered by some half dressed desperate alien!"

"Only Jack!" Now Jack could hear Daniel had joined in the laughter. Just as he was going to back away and pretend he hadn't heard his friends laughing at his expense, he was given a friendly shove by Teal'c, who had sneaked up behind him.

"I believe O'Neill learned a valuable lesson that day. I have noticed he carries more ready to eat meals with him since that mission." Daniel and Sam tried to sober up when Jack and Teal'c entered the room. Jack's displeasure was obvious.

"I don't see what's damn so funny. You wait until you're over a hundred and see who's laughing." Daniel and Sam both had to stifle a grin and look away.

"I came here seeking companionship for my mid-day meal. Who will join me?" Sam and Daniel got up and followed Teal'c without speaking. They were both afraid they would laugh if they opened their mouth. Sam was sure if she laughed, Jack would bring her up on multiple charges of insubordination.

After lunch, Daniel went to his lab to catch up on the piles of artifacts that were screaming for his attention. Teal'c was scheduled to teach Jaffa techniques (and how to avoid them) to three SG teams. Jack had cleared his afternoon for Sam. He flipped through the folders lying on her desk.

"This all seems so long ago. We were different people then." Jack thumbed a mission folder about Daniel's death, his first death.

"That's what makes this so hard, so weird. In my mind, I'm still Captain Carter, unsure of my place on SG-1 and worried about proving myself. Although my gut tells me I know all of you, very well, my mind keeps saying I just met you. At first, I just blindly trusted the three of you but as more of my memory returns I have to keep reminding myself that my gut instincts are usually more right then my head."

"I'm glad you felt secure with us so quickly, even though you didn't remember us. I don't think I ever realized you felt insecure on SG-1. You always seemed so confident, saving the world over and over with those insane yet brilliant ideas."

"Maybe I developed that confidence over time but right now I feel like a fake and I can't help but wonder how I ever made it to Colonel." Sam gave a weak shy smile.

"Let me help you remember." Jack waved towards her stool, indicating she should take a seat. "Before lunch it sounded like you made it as far as the trip to Cimmera, where Teal'c and I ended up trapped with an Unas."

"Unas?" Sam's brow crinkled.

"Think over grown reptile, one that happened to be the first Goa'uld host." Jack swore he could see the gears in her head moving. He saw the light bulb turn on as her eyes lit with excitement.

"Daniel had to disable the gate, even though it could have been used to save Sha're."

"Yeah, that was a tough choice for him." Jack looked down at the folder on the table in front of him.

When Daniel arrived at Sam's door later, intending to get her off base for dinner and a relaxing night, he found Sam and Jack looking at pictures of Cassie stored on Sam's computer.

"She's beautiful. I'm glad this little girl grew up into the young woman I met the other week." Sam smiled. She mentally tried to shrug off the maternal instinct she felt for this child. She had already met the college age Cassie and she knew Janet had been Cassie's mother, as well as Sam's best friend. Cassie was not her daughter, no matter what her gut was screaming.

"Thanks to you." Daniel stepped into the room as he spoke.

"Me?" Sam turned towards Daniel as Jack looked up.

"Yeah, you found her on the planet. She took an instant liking to you. When we found out she had a bomb in her chest you decided you wouldn't leave her to die alone." Sam's eye grew wide.

"A bomb? Why would anyone put a bomb in a child?" The innocence that crept into Sam's voice caused Jack to shiver. The Goa'uld had extinguished that innocence in all of them over the years.

"I remember crying in an elevator. I left her even though she had woken up." Sam was wringing her hands and staring at the blank wall. "I couldn't leave her alone, waiting to die. My heart told me she would make it and when she did, I didn't want to open that door and find a terrified child. She had lost too many people and I didn't want to make her list of losses any longer by disappearing when she needed me."

"The bond you two had already established grew even stronger that day." Jack smiled at Sam and lightly touched her hand. Sam looked at their hands and then into his eyes.

"You gave her a dog and Janet adopted her."

"Indeed." Jack let go of Sam's hand as they both looked over at Teal'c who had quietly entered Sam's lab.

"I didn't keep her because...." All three men stopped moving. Sam had never really explained her reasons to any of them. Daniel had always been surprised Sam hadn't adopted Cassie. Teal'c had taken the opportunity, while in the park with Cassie, to hint that Sam would make an appropriate choice for her mother. Jack had never mentioned it. Sam shook her head for a moment and then looked up at Teal'c.

"Are we going to dinner or is there a party scheduled for my lab and I didn't get the memo?"

"I had come in anticipation of getting an evening meal together." Teal'c gave Sam a nod and slight smile. He understood the discussion had ended. Daniel, confused but not willing to explore the issue, followed Teal'c out the door. As Sam moved over to turn off the light Jack touched her shoulder. She turned to face him.

"Why?" Jack watched as Sam's eyes saddened and she looked away.

"Because I didn't want to give up SG-1 and I didn't think I could do both." Jack nodded. He could have argued with her, told her Daniel, Teal'c and he would have helped but he knew it was the past. Her choices still felt raw for her and pointing out possible errors in her past reasoning wouldn't help her deal with decisions that couldn't be changed.

"She grew up very happy and you are very close to her. Janet never would have had a chance to be a mother if it hadn't been for you and Cassie. She loved being her mother and Cassie was lucky to have you both." Jack flipped the light off and motioned Carter to precede him out the door. Her shy smile was answer enough for Jack. She accepted what she couldn't change and would be ready for more tomorrow.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 16 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 16

Sticks and Stones Chapter 16

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam recovers still!
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-02

Sticks and Stones Chapter 16:

Daniel came into Sam's lab carrying a bowl of chocolate ice cream with pieces of Reeces cup mixed in it. He had a sheepish look on his face as he crept closer to her desk. She pretended she hadn't seen him until he spoke.

"Hi, Sam."

"Oh, hi Daniel. Whatcha got there?"

"Ice cream, your favorite flavor, chocolate with chocolate peanut butter candy pieces." Daniel gave her a weak smile.

"Wow! Thanks! What's the special occasion?"

"Teal'c told me you read about the virtual reality mission before lunch. I figure by now that means you've read about my little trip in the sarcophagus." Sam picked up the spoon and began slowly enjoying every bit of the ice cream. The only thing that could have made it better would have been a waffle cone!

"Yeah, I read that one and I just finished the one with the probe we found on the dead world. What does that have to do with ice cream?" Her eyes sparkled as she looked at Daniel. He wasn't sure if her eyes were indicating she knew perfectly well why he was bring her ice cream, or if she was just enjoying her dessert.

"I said some really awful things to you while I was coming down off my sarcophagus high."

"Yeah, but that was years ago."

"True, but it probably feels very fresh for you. I just figured if you were living it all over again then I needed to make amends all over again." Daniel's sheepish grin broadened.

"I like that theory! Does this mean I need to apologize every time I remember something awful I did to you?"

"Only if it means we share the ice cream." Daniel sat down beside Sam as they both enjoyed a warm laugh. Daniel pulled a second spoon out of his pocket and took a bite. "I still don't understand why this is your favorite flavor."

"Like vanilla is really worth all the fuss." Sam leaned over and nudged Daniel's arm with her shoulder.

"I'm just glad you remember I like vanilla best."

"Me too."

** ** ** The images from missions she couldn't even piece together were plaguing her dreams. She rarely slept more then two or three hours. Every time she woke she would write down what she had seen in her dreams so she could talk to one of the guys the next day. This night she happened to have stayed at the SGC after working late to update one of the dialing protocols. General O'Neill had been assigning her more real work to do so she wouldn't read so many missions in one day. He was worried she was trying to hard to remember it all at once.

Sam got up after writing down the images she could remember from her latest dream. She wasn't ready to sleep again so she decided to check out what was available in the commissary. She hadn't been expecting to run into General O'Neill on the way.

"Morning, Carter. Are you getting up or getting ready to go to sleep?" She could tell from his tone that neither answer was going to make him happy.

"Neither really, I woke up and decided I needed something to drink before trying to get back to sleep."

"Did something wake you?" His tone had softened into one of concern.

"Just the usual flashes of images that I don't understand yet."

"Would you like to talk about it?"

"That's alright, sir. I'm sure you're busy."

"Not really. A drink the commissary with a friend sounds like a great idea." He swung his arm out, telling her to lead the way. He grinned as he followed her down the hall. They each got a cup of decaf coffee and sat at a table.

"So tell me about these images." Jack swirled the coffee in his cup.

"There was an old man lying in the infirmary. He seemed very familiar. I think he was dying." Sam's eyes hazed over as she spoke.

"Does the name Machello ring a bell?"

"Not really."

"He was some crazy anti-Goa'uld scientist that made all sorts of weird machines. One of them allowed him to exchange bodies with Daniel."

"You mean Daniel was the old man?"

"For a while. You figured out how to switch us all back before the old man's body gave out. What else did you see?"

"A small bald child and you dressed very casually with Teal'c, who had lots of hair, in front of a multi-colored psycodelic bus."

"The harsesis and our trip to 1969."

"We've been to 1969?"

"Yep. It was a wild trip. Of course a lot of people say the same thing about 1969 but it was different for us."

"How did we get sent back in time?"

"Sun flares."

"Then how did we get back? I can't predict a sun flare."

"General Hammond sent a note with you that gave us the date and time of the next two flares."

"How did he know to do that?"

"He was one of the first people we met when we got to 1969. Can you believe he actually made me pay him back the money I owed with interest?"

"You did promise, sir. That much money had to have been hard to earn as a lieutenant in 1969."

"You remember?"

"I think so. We were sitting around a fire when two people walked up asking for an explanation."

"Michael and Jenny, good kids."

"Yeah, they turned out alright you know."

"What do you mean?"

"I checked them out when we got back. They're married and have four children. Michael became a banker and Jenny sold real estate."

"That seems so... normal."

"Yes, sir." Sam grinned.

"Anything else floating around in that head of yours tonight?"

"This morning." Jack looked up at Sam, obviously confused. "It's a little after two am, sir."

"Right, so any other images?"

"No, sir. I'm assuming since you said the bald kid was the harsesis that we found Sha're's son."

"Oh, yeah. The ancients adopted him. He gave Daniel a hard time by showing him why he couldn't remain on Earth with all the knowledge of the Goa'uld stuck in his head."

"Poor Daniel."

"Yeah, it was rough on him, but he understood." Jack and Sam both looked around the room getting a little nervous about the silence.

"Daniel said Pete called again."

"Yes, sir. I talked to him today. I told him my memories were coming back in increments but I hadn't yet made it to the twenty-first century. He's going to come by this weekend."

"If he loves you he will be there when you are ready, and not pressure you to remember everything right away."

"I suppose. I get the feeling Daniel and Teal'c don't approve of him."

"They haven't said anything bad about him to me. Have they said something to you?"

"No, it's just a feeling."

"We havrn't really had a chance to get to know him yet. It could just be their big brother protection thing kicking in."

"I guess. I should try to get back to sleep. No offense, sir, but you look like you could use some sleep also."

"I'm on my way, Colonel." Sam and Jack both stood and placed their dirty cups on the conveyer belt for returned dishes. As Sam reached the door, Jack put his hand on her shoulder. She stopped and turned to face him.

"Why don't we plan on having dinner at my place tonight at 1900?" Jack gave Sam a slightly embarrassed grin.

"Dinner sounds fine, sir." Sam's face indicated her curiosity. She wasn't sure if this was a team dinner or just the two of them. Her heart fluttered a little at the thought.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 17 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 17

Sticks and Stones Chapter 17

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam is still recovering.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-02

This may not be what you wanted but don't hate me too much yet. I just can't envision a deep relationship at this point in the story. Keep coming back. We are making progress everyday!

Sticks and Stones Chapter 17:

"Welcome to my abode, Carter." Jack waved Cater into the foyer. "Please have a seat in the living room and I'll get you something to drink. Dinner will be ready in about ten minutes."

"Thanks, sir." Jack knew it was pointless to tell her to drop the sir for the evening. They had had that conversation many times in the past and he had never successfully convinced her to stop yet. Jack grinned as he walked into the kitchen to stir the noodles.

Sam decided to follow Jack into the kitchen rather then sit in the living room.

"Can I help?" Jack slightly jumped at the sound of her voice. Sam couldn't stifle her giggle.

"Colonel!" Jack's warning was obviously light-hearted.

"Sorry, sir." Jack handed her a couple plates and the silverware. Sam set the small table while she watched him rinse the noodles and put the spaghetti sauce in a bowl. Jack pulled some salad out of the refrigerator along with a bottle of wine. Sam sat down and Jack served the food and poured the wine.

"Thank-you, sir." Sam smiled up at him. That smile made the whole night worth it for him.

"Don't mention it Carter." Jack sat across from her and began to eat. For several minutes, they ate in comfortable silence.

"The wine is wonderful, sir."

"Thanks, one of the first things I learned as a waiter was to help customers pick the right wine to go with their food. The more wine they drank, the higher the bill, the more tip I earned."

"I have trouble picturing you as a waiter, sir."

"We were all young once." His eyes sparkled as he spoke. "How was your day?"

"I finished a diagnostic on the dialing program. I made notes on some possible upgrades I could begin working on, with your permission."

"I'll be happy to look over the recommendations tomorrow at work." Sam took that comment to mean this evening wasn't about discussing her current work. She could also tell that Jack wasn't just interested in idle conversation. Something told her there was a reason for this dinner, one she hadn't yet discovered.

"Any new memories?" Sam's mind clicked. This must be the reason behind the dinner invitation!

"Flashes, but I ran into a problem with the files so I didn't make it past where we had discussed this morning."

"A problem?"

"Yes, sir. There was a span of several weeks missing from the files. I was going to report it in the morning. I'm sure the files were just misplaced."

"They weren't misplaced. I have them." Jack made eye contact with his plate of spaghetti, not Sam.

"Why?"

"It was an emotionally tough mission, one that got you into a bit of trouble, and I didn't want you to face it alone."

"Ok, I appreciate your concern. What do you have planned?" Sam reached for her wine, hoping the alcohol might help her relax.

"I thought we could just talk about the flashes and let the pieces fall together. Your memories seem to come back on their own when you let them."

"Ok, we can try it." Sam's brow creased as she began trying to isolate a memory, any memory. Jack could see she was struggling.

"You woke up in some kind of chamber. You would have been really cold and covered in a shiny silver blanket."

"With a metal disk attached to my chest delivering some kind of drug. They told me you, Daniel, and Teal'c were dead." Her eyes widened and she couldn't stop her heart from speeding up.

"But obviously they were lying, since we are enjoying dinner together tonight." Jack caught her eyes and saw her relax.

"They were Goa'uld."

"Yeah, Hathor and her cronies to be exact. She was using us to collect current intel about the system lords."

"Until you, Daniel, and I made it out to the fake gate room. She had you snaked!"

"Yeah, not such a great memory for either of us." Jack ran his hands through his hair and down to the back of his neck, a sign of his nervousness.

"What happened to you?"

"A tok'ra operative put me on ice. My next memory is of you rescuing me. Apparently, you and Daniel had been rescued by SG-3. Makepeace told you that I was a casualty and made you leave me." Jack watched Sam's face. He could see the pain caused by the thought that she would have left him for dead, or worse as a host.

"There was a force shield preventing us from getting to the gate. I volunteered to go back and disable to shield generator."

"Alone."

"Yeah, Colonel Makepeace needed everybody else to make the run to the gate and Daniel was injured."

"It also gave you the chance to come back for me, against orders."

"True, but I promise that wasn't the whole reason I volunteered, but it was a good reason."

"I'm afraid Makepeace didn't agree. You took some heat when we got back but since you saved me, Hammond decided to let it drop. He said the accommodation you deserved for saving me cancelled the infraction for disobeying orders. That was a tense meeting in Hammonds office with Makepeace and I debating your fate while you watched."

"That wasn't as bad as our meeting later in the locker room."

"The locker room? I don't remember any meeting in a locker room." Jack saw a slight tremor in Sam's hand as she put down her fork.

"You weren't there. Colonel Makepeace was waiting for me when I got out of the shower the day after we met in Hammond's office. Luckily, I had tied my towel around my chest and it fell mid-thigh. He came up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders." Jack saw her tense, just as she must have when Makepeace cornered her years ago.

"He ran his hands down my arms and took a hold of my wrists. His grip was very tight. He pressed himself against my back. He told me to just listen. He whispered in my ear. I felt his breath on my cheek." Sam's shaking was getting worse. Jack reached out to hold her hand. She looked up and saw the look of shock mixed with concern on his face.

"What did he say?" Jack squeezed her hand in what he hoped was a reassuring manner.

"He told me I had better hope I was never assigned to his unit because he would teach me the real meaning of following orders. He made it clear what would happen to my friends, as well as to me, if I spoke a word about this incident. When he let go of my wrists, he ran his hands under the bottom edge of the towel. I spun around ready to fight but he backed off, laughing as he left the locker room."

"That bastard!" Jack's jaw tightened, as did his grip on Sam's hand. It was her quiet wince that alerted him to what he was doing. "Oh hell, Carter, I'm sorry."

"It's ok, sir. I understand. I never told you did I?"

"No." Jack restrained himself from fussing. He didn't understand why she would have kept this to herself. Didn't she trust him?

"I guess I understood his message and knew I needed to handle him on my own. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, sir."

"It's history now, Carter."

"Where is Colonel Makepeace now?"

"Levenworth." He saw her brows rise in surprise. "Treason. He was working as part of a team that was stealing technology from our allies."

"Then it sounds like everything worked out for the best." Sam gave Jack a halfhearted smile.

"I guess so." Jack was having a hard time not being angry Sam had been so terribly treated and he hadn't been aware of it. He tried to shake it off as he cleared the plates and served the dessert, chocolate cake with ice cream. It meant they would both have to do few extra laps in the morning but the relaxing effect of the chocolate was worth it.

The post dinner conversation moved on to Jack's comments about not waking up as a eunuch when they were getting into Seth's compound and his attempts to be a diplomat with the system lords and Thor. Jack didn't have any trouble using himself as comedic relief to help end the evening on a high note.

Jack walked Sam to the door and held it open for her.

"Thanks for dinner, sir." Sam looked up into his eyes and they were both temporarily transfixed.

"You're welcome, Carter. We should do this more often." Jack took a step closer to her.

"That sounds like a great idea." Sam didn't back away. Jack reached up and put his hand on her upper arm. The ringing of the phone broke the moment. Sam glanced from the phone to Jack.

"I'll see you in the morning, sir."

"Right. Night, Carter. Drive safely." They each waved and Jack stepped inside and closed the door. He heard Cassie's voice on his answering machine. She was bored and wanted to talk. Jack wasn't in the mood so he walked into the kitchen to finish cleaning up.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 18 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 18

Sticks and Stones Chapter 18

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam is still recovering and I am caught up!
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-02

I'm sorry it has taken longer then usual but my beta (aka my husband) has been out of town. I promise to make him slave away on new chapters this weekend!

Sticks and Stones Chapter 18:

As the week ended, Sam worked through meeting her alternate self, watching Teal'c die followed by his resurrection (thanks to junior), and the death of Sha're. Daniel seemed very serene and collected about his wife's death. His calmness helped Sam remember this wasn't new for them, just her.

Daniel and Teal'c insisted on hanging around, at least for a little while, when Pete was scheduled to arrive Saturday morning. Sam tried to convince them she would be fine but they refused to leave until they saw he was behaving and not stressing her. What they didn't understand was having them here made her more nervous. She was about to meet her lover, a man she wasn't going to recognize, in front of her friends. She was just relieved that Jack was too busy to attend this social gathering.

The ticking of the mantle clock was driving Sam insane. Pete was ten minutes late! As she turned and scowled at the clock she decided the first thing she was going to do once everybody left was shoot the clock. She had a great internal sense of time, one of the many surprising traits she had discovered about herself the last few weeks, so the clock was unnecessary. She wondered if Pete might have given it to her. As suddenly as she thought it, she wondered where her feelings were coming from. She hadn't met this man yet and she was already angry at him. Was there a reason for this feeling? Had he done something? Was their relationship on the rocks?

A knock on the door brought her to her senses. She moved from the kitchen towards the front door. Teal'c never took his eyes off the television. Daniel stood and faced the door. Sam knew Daniel and Pete had exchanged words several times while she was recovering. Pete had been insistent about being allowed to see her and Daniel had been equally insistent about Sam's need to recover at her own pace.

Her first impression of him when she opened the door was cute but not quite tall enough.

"Hi, Sam!" Pete was very up beat and animated. He handed her a bouquet of roses and a small box of chocolate. "It's so good to see you. I've missed you so much these last couple of months." He stepped towards her, as if he wanted to embrace her, but she stepped back.

"Please come in. We were just getting ready to order some lunch." Sam took another step back as Pete stepped inside.

"We?" Pete glanced into the house and his face hardened as he saw Daniel.

"Daniel and Teal'c are joining us." Sam gave Pete a forced smile.

"We need chaperones?" Sam looked down at the flowers in her hands.

"I don't know you. They're just being overly protective friends but I couldn't tell them no after they way they have helped me."

"You do know me. You know me better then any of the men on your team." Pete put one hand on her arm.

"Not right now I don't. The psychiatrist I'm working with says I can expect my memories to keep progressing from oldest to newest. The way I understand it, memories about you will be in the newest category."

"About us, Sam. Us. There is an us." Pete stepped even closer to Sam. Sam felt rather then heard Daniel shift his weight. Pete got the message and backed off, slightly. Sam took the flowers into the kitchen. When she went out to the living room she decided the atmosphere was too charged.

"Pete, would you like to take a walk in the park before lunch?" Pete turned towards Sam. The happiness on his face surprised her.

"Sam?" Daniel's tone told her everything he felt. Daniel knew he was here to protect her from herself as well as Pete and he couldn't do his job if she left.

"We agreed this was my life, Daniel." Daniel nodded and dejectedly took a seat on the sofa.

"We'll be here when you get back."

"Thanks, Daniel. Why don't you go ahead and order some sandwiches." Pete put his arm out for Sam.

"I'd prefer pastrami with a large Coke." Pete gave Daniel a broad smile. Sam didn't like the feel of superiority radiating from Pete.

They walked in silence for ten minutes. Pete managed to get his arm around her waist as they strolled. He stopped her under a willow oak. He turned towards her, using his free hand to cup her face while his other hand remained on her waist. He leaned in to kiss her. The kiss was soft, gentle, and completely foreign. He knew it as soon as he saw her face.

"It's not there is it?"

"No, I'm sorry, it's not. I'm sure given enough time it will come back but for now I'm not all here." Pete nodded and let go of her face. "I've been averaging about a year's worth of memories a week lately. Daniel says I'm five years behind right now."

"So maybe in a month, huh?"

"Maybe?" Pete could tell she wasn't sure.

"Don't you think if what we had was real you'd be able to feel it, even if you didn't remember it?" Sam recalled how she had known Daniel and Teal'c were important to her, like brothers as soon as she met them. There was also that gut feeling that Jack was not like her brother. She knew she had been drawn to him instantly, even though she had learned it wasn't permitted.

"I suppose."

"I guess that's why your not wearing your engagement ring." Pete picked up Sam's left hand and caressed it with his fingers.

"I...I...had no idea." Sam looked at their joined hands. She was trying hard to find a nugget of feeling for the man standing before her but she came up empty.

"Are you trying to tell me I should just gracefully accept defeat? Don't get me wrong, not many guys can say they lost the best woman in the world to amnesia, but I'm not ready to just give up." Sam grinned and chuckled.

"That sounds so soap operaish."

"Yeah, I guess it does. Does your brother know what happened?"

"Daniel told him I was injured and working through my memories but I haven't been to see him. There are too many classified secrets in this head that might unintentionally escape." Sam shrugged.

"So your own family doesn't even have enough clearance to see you. I guess I really should feel privileged to have made it past your guard dogs." Pete began walking back towards Sam's house. Sam quickly followed.

"Don't be hard on them. They're being very patient with me. I couldn't have done this alone." Pete nodded.

"I know. I just wish it was me you were leaning on." They both stopped and Sam looked into his eyes and saw his pain. She was sorry she had done this to him. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't find it within herself to open up to this man, this stranger.

When they got back to Sam's, Pete declined her invitation to stay for lunch. He gave her a peck on the cheek and climbed into his truck. Daniel heard the truck pulling away and moved towards the door as Sam walked in the door.

"Are you ok?" Sam fell into his open arms.

"Yeah, I guess so." Daniel rubbed her back and felt some of the tension release.

"I'm sorry it was so hard."

"It was harder on him. I could see his disappointment."

"Give it time, Sam. You'll remember." Sam pulled back and looked at Daniel.

"Yeah, but even when I do it may still be over." Daniel's face softened and he nodded. This is what he was afraid of when he told Pete to be patient. Daniel knew Sam and Pete hadn't formed a lasting kind of relationship yet, not like the one she had with the three men she had worked with for eight years. He had been afraid that if Pete visited while Sam's memories still had her agonizing over Jack she wouldn't be receptive to her feelings for Pete. Daniel couldn't explain that to her or Pete, but he had tried to stall their meeting, hoping if he could get them to wait long enough then her heart would be able to see past Jack, as it had done before.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 22 by 7 League Boots
Sticks and Stones Chapter 22

Sticks and Stones Chapter 22

by Kimberly

Summary: It's time to remember the ice planet!!!
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-08

Sticks and Stones Chapter 22:

Sergeants Siler and Davis were beginning to worry about General O'Neill. It's not that he was staying much later then usual but he wasn't getting any real work done. He was moving papers on his desk from one place to another and back again. He had rearranged his pencils and pens three times. They had even caught him spinning in his chair. Sergeant Davis was almost ready to go in and ask if he should summon the doctor when Colonel Carter arrived and walked past him to General O'Neill's office. She knocked. Jack had seen her coming; this is what he had been waiting for over an hour to face.

"Enter." He stood as she came into the room.

"Jonah and Thera were..." The pain in her eyes drilled into his heart and made him take a deep breath.

"Let's not discuss this here. I'm done for the evening. Can I give you a ride? Maybe pick up something to eat."

"A ride? Food?" Sam's brow creased and she looked at him as if he was one of the hundreds of aliens that they had encountered. He walked around his desk and put his hand on her elbow.

"Thank-you for coming to talk about this. I do want to talk; I just don't want to do it here. Ok?" Sam looked up at him. The place where his fingers touched her skin began to pleasantly burn. As she searched his eyes, the fog in her head cleared and she nodded. They went straight to his truck, pausing only to sign out.

They didn't speak until they reached an out of the way diner Jack used to frequent, in the year between the first Abydos missions. Jack reached over during the drive and rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand. She just stared out the window, not responding but not pulling away. They sat next to each other in a booth. They both ordered cheeseburgers and fries.

"This is the real reason you came to see me Saturday night, isn't it?" Sam kept her eyes on the napkin she was twisting in her hands. Jack reached over and put his hands on top of hers.

"Yes, I wanted to be sure you knew we could talk about this."

"Did we talk about it back then?"

"Sort of." Her head snapped up.

"Sort of? We had...I mean we made..."

"We made love...twice. I know. I remember. We didn't know we weren't allowed to act on our feelings."

"We never told General Hammond did we?" Jack looked back down at the table and shook his head.

"No, we decided to not muddle the waters until after we talked it out."

"And we decided to drop it?"

"Not exactly. We decided to get to know each other outside of work, casually. Starting at the end isn't the right way to build a relationship. I wanted to know about your third grade teacher, your favorite pet, your first boyfriend. I wanted to start with a first date."

"That sounds like it makes sense. So what happened?"

"We went out, we had a good time, we really got to know each other well." When he looked into her eyes the sadness she saw radiated out and gripped her stomach. She had no memory of their dates nor what they had resulted in creating between them.

"And?"

"That's the part I can't explain. We had bumps, like most couples." He saw the skepticism in her face. "Ok, maybe not like most folks. I got stuck in outer space with Teal'c and scared your socks off. Then I went fishing while you and Daniel fought a Goa'uld, but that was unplanned and you forgave me quickly. We had a great time, and I do mean a great time, on this little beach planet letting some Goa'uld drug wear out of our systems and then there was the time I killed you." As Jack said it, he let go of her hand and began to twirl his fork.

"You killed me?" The waitress arrived with their plates while Sam stared open mouthed at Jack. "It seems I got better."

"Yeah, you did but we didn't. You decided we couldn't have a relationship and remain objective about each other in combat situations. I offered to retire but you said you'd still leave me. It ended faster then we started it." Sam reached out her hand and put it on his arm.

"I wish I could tell you why or how I felt but I honestly don't remember right now."

"But you do remember how it felt to be together underneath the ice planet."

"Yes, I do. None of my other memories can hold a candle to those moments. A big part of me hated leaving." Jack just nodded his head.

"We had better eat before it gets cold. I promise this stuff doesn't improve as it cools." They both grinned and began eating, although neither of them was really hungry. Jack finished first. He watched her twirl her french fry in the ketchup. She always did three passes through the ketchup before eating a fry. It made him smile. It was those kinds of little nuances that he had enjoyed getting to know about her when they had dated.

"Sam?"

"Yeah."

"Please promise me you'll tell me what happened, when you remember."

"I've been thinking about that. As much as I would love to sit here and promise you that I'm not sure I could live up to the promise." Jack's face tensed and his brow creased.

"Why not?" Sam rubbed his arm again.

"I know myself well enough to realize that I had to have had a damn good reason to not have told you what was going on in my head years ago. When I remember what it was I'll have to choose again. I don't know whether the time that has passed will let me be more open." Sam's eyes met Jack's. They both shared a sadness borne of lost opportunities.

"I'll take whatever you can give me, but I won't be complete until I know what I did wrong."

"Are you sure it wasn't the killing me thing?" Jack grinned.

"I blamed myself for several days but you would let me wallow. If I hadn't killed you then you wouldn't be alive today. It was better that I did it then somebody else. We would have gotten past that." The honesty in his words and eyes convinced her. She wanted to ease his pain but the memories were still locked in her head, refusing to show themselves.

Jack paid the bill and gave her a ride back to base. He opened the door and helped her out of his truck. Their hands were still locked. She stepped close to him and leaned up on her toes to kiss his cheek.

"Thank-you, Jack."

"For what?"

"For making me happy."

"You're welcome." Her hand left his and he slowly moved his hand up to his cheek, where he could still feel the kiss. He watched her get in her car and drive off before he moved. He looked towards the mountain, shook his head, and walked to the drivers side of his truck. There was no way he could work any more tonight.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 23 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 23

Sticks and Stones Chapter 23

by Kimberly

Summary: Daniel helps Sam continue to remember her time getting closer to Jack.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-09

Sticks and Stones Chapter 23:

Jack kept an eye on Sam the next day. She seemed normal, no indications that he had screwed up her brains with his announcements the night before. She laughed and joked with Daniel over breakfast and discussed the Jaffa rebellion with Teal'c over lunch. He was glad to see her eating again. An announcement over the intercom requested Jack's presence in the briefing room, he was sure there were more diplomats to impress. With a wry smile, he begged forgiveness and left his friends eating.

Teal'c turned right while Sam followed Daniel down the hall on the left. He could tell she was following him but he decided to wait until they got to his office to ask why. She paused briefly in the door leading to his office. He paused as he reached his chair, preparing to sit.

"Come on in and tell me what's going on." Daniel sat down and used his foot to roll the other chair near his seat.

"What makes you think something's going on?" Sam gave him a nervous smile and took the seat he had so casually offered.

"Don't play games, Sam. You may only remember knowing me for four years but I remember all eight. You can't hide from me, even when I let you think you're getting away with it, I really know. What did you remember?" Daniel leaned forward towards her.

"Did you know how I felt about Jack when we went after him and Teal'c in the X-301?" Daniel grimaced slightly. He knew this was coming but it still made him uncomfortable. He had spent years trying to not get mixed up in the emotions Sam and Jack spent so much time trying to ignore. It was tough to ignore since he considered each of them to be such close friends.

"Yeah, I knew, sort of."

"Sort of? Sam raised her eyebrows.

"It was clear that Jonah and Therra had gotten close. I knew you and Jack had to be struggling to return to Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill. I wasn't sure if this time one of you was going to finally give in."

"Give in." Daniel watched as Sam slumped in the chair as she whispered the words. It was like watching the energy drain from her body. Daniel leaned forward and grasped her hands.

"We got them back, safe and sound."

"And General O'Neill and I went right back to being professional." Daniel squeezed her hands.

"Not exactly."

"What do you mean?" Sam's eyes lit just a bit as she focused her gaze on Daniel.

"There was a difference. I doubt anybody, except your closest friends would have noticed. Janet and I really thought you two might have finally decided to accept what we had thought was inevitable."

"Inevitable, huh?"

"That's what we thought at the time."

"But?"

"I'm not sure, Sam. Something changed. I think Janet knew what happened but neither of you ever told me." Daniel looked down at their linked hands.

"Jack doesn't know either." Daniel briefly looked up but there wasn't any surprise on his face.

"I know. I tried to get it out of him once and he finally, grudging, told me he didn't know why things suddenly went sour. He made me promise not to ask you."

"So there are only two people who know what happened. One's dead and the other can't remember." Sam jerked her hands away from Daniel and stood up. She began pacing the room.

"But you will remember. Don't put yourself through this, Sam." Daniel stood and moved to stand behind Sam. He put his hands on her shoulders and pulled her gently back towards his chest. "Let the memories come and remember that no matter what you discover you can always make a new future or pick up where your memories end."

"Thanks, Daniel." Sam leaned into Daniel, letting his strength flow into her.

"Come on let's get out of here."

"What? Why?"

"Because I've had enough for one day and we could both use some fresh air." The twinkle in Daniel's eye made Sam curious so she relented. Daniel called Jack to let him know he and Sam were leaving for the rest of the day. Jack was shocked but pleased. He knew Sam and Daniel spent way too much time inside.

Sam dared Daniel to ride with her on her bike. Daniel had never been on a motorcycle but he wasn't about to admit to Sam that her machine scared the hell out of him. He reluctantly agreed. Their first stop was a small ice cream parlor near the mountain. Although the ride was short, and quick, it was enough time to make Daniel a bit green. He sipped his soda for a long time before he was willing to consider ordering any ice cream.

"So what ever happened to Martin?"

"Oh, yeah, Martin. He ended up writing a show called Wormhole X-treme."

"I saw some of that a couple weeks ago early one morning when I was having trouble sleeping. It was awful and yet strangely familiar."

"Yeah, Martin didn't remember meeting us but his subconscious mind helped him write about us. The Air Force decided to use it as a cover. If anybody tries to reveal anything about the SGC we can innocently look at them and say they've been watching too much late night television."

"Not a bad idea."

"Yeah, the sad part is it turns out his planet was wiped out by the Goa'uld. There was nothing left but ruins. I think he has settled down and gotten married."

"Married? I'd have never guessed that!"

"Yeah, I know. Once he got off all the mind-altering drugs, he turned out to be ok. A bit nerdy, but who am I to judge."

"You were never nerdy, Daniel." Daniel smirked at Sam, indicating he didn't believe a word that had just escaped her mouth. "A bit nerdy perhaps but not geeky, or is that the other way around?"

"I'm pretty sure geek was the word Jack preferred to use when describing both of us. What's the difference anyway?"

"Geeky means your bright and maybe a bit socially awkward. Nerdy means all that plus you get the big thick glasses and nasal voice with an extra dose of social incompetence. It could be the other way though, you know how reliable my head has been recently."

"I don't think I want either to apply to me." Daniel began eating his dessert and swirling his soda.

"If General O'Neill says we're geeks then that means geeks are cooler then nerds, because he really likes us."

"It's these kinds of conversations that make me wonder how I ever managed to survive high school." Daniel shook his head and tried to hide his grin. Sam couldn't stop her giggle as she picked up her water. Silence descended on the table as they both ate their ice cream. Daniel could tell by the look on Sam's face that the wheels in her head were spinning faster then usual again.

"What'cha thinkin'?"

"Huh?" Sam looked up, confused as her train of thought was broken.

"What were you think about?"

"General O'Neill."

"Oh, in what way?" Daniel resisted the urge to reach out and hold Sam's hand.

"Were there any other noticeable moments of closeness between him and I before everything changed?"

"Yeeeaaaaahhh." Daniel dragged the word out as he tried to avoid making eye contact with Sam.

"When? What happened?" Sam sat up straighter.

"We found out there was a machine on P4X-347 that got us addicted. We definitely had trouble acting like ourselves if we got too far away. I almost died when I came back to the SGC. Several other men did die before we figured out what was going on. You, Jack, Loran, and I had to spend several weeks on the planet as we slowly decreased the effects of the machine."

"Loran?"

"A kid we met on the planet. His parents died when he turned off the machine and they wandered too far away."

"So what happened?"

"I'm not sure really. I just had a feeling that all the time you and Jack spent together wasn't completely centered on figuring out how some of the machinery worked. You two would be gone for hours, some times a whole day, and come back with little to report. Jack acted as if our visit was a vacation. I think he rubbed off on you. You two had a hard time coming back. Something was different but I never questioned it. I knew if either of you wanted me to know you'd tell me." By the time Daniel finished speaking he had given in and taken a hold of Sam's hands. To other customers they probably looked like lovers on a date. In reality, they were best friends trying to piece together a puzzle.

"Was there a beautiful light in this castle?"

"Yeah, that's the one! You remember?"

"I think I'm beginning to remember it. Let's go for another ride while I let it all sink in a bit."

"I don't think I'm up for a ride this soon after eating. How about a walk through downtown?" Sam agreed.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 24 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 24

Sticks and Stones Chapter 24

by Kimberly

Summary: Pete just isn't that easy to get rid of - sorry!
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-11

Sticks and Stones Chapter 24:

Daniel begged Sam to let him call a cab to get back to the mountain. She convinced him that her house was only five minutes away and he could make it that far. Then they could use her car to get back to the SGC. Daniel gave in. He had emptied his wallet buying ice cream and he didn't want to have to borrow cab fare.

Daniel went straight to the sofa to lie down when they got to Sam's. Sam managed to keep her chuckle trapped in her chest but she had to avoid making eye contact with Daniel. She was sure she would lose it if he actually looked at her with those pitiful eyes and slightly green cheeks.

There was a one blinking on her answering machine. She took off her jacket and hung it in the closet by the door. She pressed the play button.

"Hi, Sam. It's me, Pete. I'm sorry for how I left things. So much for that better or worse phrase, huh. I do love you and I would love the opportunity to let you get to know me all over again. There was a reason you said yes in the first place. Give me a chance to show you what we had. Call me back when you remember me or if you just want to give life outside that mountain a shot. I love you."

Daniel sat up enough to look over the back of the sofa. Sam's face had visibly paled. Without a word she hit the delete button and walked slowly into the kitchen. Daniel watched her get a glass out of the cabinet. She moved over to the refrigerator and pulled out the orange juice container. Her hands were shaking as tried to pour the juice. Just a bit missed the glass, making a small spill on the counter. Sam put the juice container down with such force juice jumped out of the spout, making a bigger mess on the counter. Sam picked up the glass and threw it at the wall. Juice covered the wall and glass littered the counter.

Daniel sat up higher on the sofa, prepared to run into the kitchen.

"Sam?"

"Damn it, Daniel! What the hell am I supposed to do? I spend all afternoon remembering being on a beach with Jack and I come home to messages from a man I don't remember but apparently agreed to marry! How am I supposed to make sense out of that! I feel like I'm being pulled into a million little pieces!" Daniel slowly walked towards the kitchen. Sam was breathing rapidly and he didn't want to provoke a reaction. Daniel was perfectly aware Sam could take down him if she wanted.

"I can't answer that Sam. There has to be some reason you and Jack didn't work, otherwise you wouldn't have gone out with Pete."

"Maybe I'm just a selfish bitch who thought she could use two men!"

"No, I know you Sam and you wouldn't ever use anyone. The way I remember it you and Jack both had an equally tough time being apart."

"Then why didn't it work?" Daniel pulled her towards the kitchen entrance, to get her away from the glass and closer to him.

"It's in there somewhere. You'll find it." Sam sank into his embrace.

"What if I don't want to find it?"

"What do you mean?" Sam looked into Daniels eyes.

"What if I had a good reason for stopping what we were hoping find? I might have to make the same decision again. I don't want to do that." Daniel moved Sam to the sofa.

"Sam? Sam, look at me. Wouldn't it be better to know and have it behind you?"

"Maybe." He knew she wasn't convinced.

"It's possible that as long as you keep telling yourself that you don't want to know then your mind will keep it hidden from you. You can't move on and work on today until you figure out yesterday."

"How did you get so smart Dr. Jackson?" Daniel hugged her.

"Good company."

Daniel called Teal'c at the SGC and asked him to bring dinner to Sam's around 1800. In Daniel's humble opinion that was a good way to kill two birds with one stone, dinner and a ride back to his car, all with one phone call. It would also give him and Sam a chance to "relive" another mission or two.

"Ok, so you remember the weeks spent getting a tan on an alien beach." Daniel plopped back down on the sofa and turned to face Sam. She was sitting on the opposite end of the sofa with her feet tucked under her. Daniel noticed she had taken advantage of his telephone call to put on sweats.

"Yeah, I remember it very well." Sam blushed a bright crimson red from her neck to her hairline. Daniel smirked.

"Do you remember Lieutenant Hailey?"

"Tell me something about her."

"Really short, bad attitude, and a real spitfire of a cadet when you first met her."

"Sounds familiar but I think I'm picturing me when I was young."

"You said the academy general thought you two had a lot in common in the brains department. You got permission to bring her through the gate. You were attacked by some kind of firefly like alien creatures. Jack said she actually fought with you about the cause of the bugs behavior." Sam's eyes lit up and she leaned forward.

"I do remember that! Her entire demeanor changed after that trip. We really bonded. Are we still friends?"

"Yes, she worked at the SGC. You even helped train her and she worked in your lab some." Daniel smiled until he saw a shadow pass across Sam's face.

"She died, didn't she?"

"No, why would you think that?"

"So far every time I remember a friend, other then you three, they end up dead. I also have a picture in my head of a young man carrying her in the gateroom. You also said every thing in the past tense."

"She was carried in the gateroom but it was part of a training exercise. I used the past tense because she has been stationed at the alpha site for months."

"Alpha site?"

"An off world base we maintain."

"Good planning!"

"It was Jack's idea."

"Ahhh. So give me a hint about the next mission." Daniel winced at the thought of what happened next.

"We had a couple weeks of leave after the bug incident. You went back to the academy a few times and kept busy in your lab. Teal'c visited his son. I worked on some artifacts. After Jack was released from the infirmary, he took a trip to his cabin to fish for a few days. It was very peaceful and we got a lot done without Jack popping in to annoy us."

"That sounds quiet and dull. It also sounds like you're avoiding my question."

"Now who's the smart one?" Sam grinned but her stomach was in knots. She could tell Daniel was very nervous about the next step in her memory retrieval process.

I know this is evil! I will get the next chapter posted as soon as my beta gets done!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 25 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 25

Sticks and Stones Chapter 25

by Kimberly

Summary: It is time to face the entity episode. Everyone is about to experience a relationship change.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-16

My beta is so slow but I can't fire him (in part due to those marriage vows and the two kids we share). I will keep pressuring him to keep up! Enjoy.

Sticks and Stones Chapter 25:

"We sent a probe out like usual. We got some unusual readings, which you of course investigated. It turned out to be a sentient life form residing in our mainframe. It offered to communicate with you and took over your body." Daniel watched Sam closely. She seemed to just be lost in thought.

"When we got you back you said you couldn't remember anything except blackness and you were screaming for us to find you." Daniel scooted closer to Sam so he could reach out and touch her hand.

"I remember it playing with Colonel, I mean General O'Neill."

"Yeah, with the camera, while it was learning our names." Sam made her finger into a mock gun sign and saluted. It made a chill run down Daniel's spine.

"You were in the MALP room when you woke. Do you remember that?"

"No, but I remember the infirmary. General O'Neill apologized for killing me. I told him he had saved me." Sam looked at Daniel. He saw the question in her eyes.

"He zatted you twice. You were on life support. Janet reminded him you had a living will and it was time to disconnect you. He asked for more time. Luckily, it was just enough time for us to figure out the entity had put your consciousness into the SGC mainframe."

"Freaky."

"That's one way to put it."

"Janet told you three I was doing well and she would release me the next day, assuming there were no set backs and as long as somebody would stay with me for a couple of days."

"Yeah, all three of us volunteered and then she shooed us out of the infirmary with strict order to not return before breakfast the day. When we came back the next morning you had been moved to an isolation room. Janet said you had requested no visitors. She said you needed to rest. Later that night I found Jack pacing his office muttering. It turned out that you, Janet, and Cassie had taken off on leave without even saying good-bye. General Hammond had approved the leave but he refused to explain anything to us. You were gone for two weeks. We didn't hear from you the whole time. Jack was a wreck."

"I can't believe I would just disappear like that, especially since all indications are we had been getting closer in the proceeding months."

"That's what we thought. That's what he thought." Daniel's voice had gotten quieter as he spoke but Sam heard him and she understood. "What do you remember about that night in the infirmary?"

"I was very tired. Janet gave me a sedative and went to her office. I woke up later because I was having abdominal cramps, not surprising since I was over a month late."

"I'm sorry, but I don't understand?"

"Oh, sorry. Sometimes I forget you're not a woman."

"Is that a compliment?"

"If you take it that way." Sam gave him a sneaky grin, which Daniel couldn't interpret.

"Ok, but I still don't understand."

"When I skip a period the next one is usually accompanied by more severe cramps."

"Is it normal to skip a...period?" Daniel's face scrunched up as he said it.

"Not for most people, but I do it every once in awhile, especially if I let my weight drop."

"What does your weight have to do with it?"

"Have you ever heard of anorexia?"

"Yeah, that's what you have when you starve yourself to be ultra thin and make yourself sick."

"Pretty much. I spent months in high school fighting anorexia, not long after my mother died."

"But you're better now?"

"Yes, but you're never really cured. I often catch myself falling back into bad patterns, like working too much and not eating enough."

"Is that why Janet was on your case so much while you were building the particle generator?" Sam blushed.

"Yeah, she knew about the anorexia and she made it her personal mission to not let me forget that I have to be good every day."

"Good for her."

"Yeah, she really was a great friend." Daniel gave a Sam a moment to reflect, while she stared at her toes, which she flexed back and forth.

"Ok so you skipped a...you know what, meaning you were having bad cramps that woke you up."

"Right. After about an hour Janet heard me moan and came into check. I tried to convince her to just give me something light for the pain but she of course overreacted and jumped into doctor mode."

"I hated doctor mode. It usually involved lots of needles."

"Oh, yeah. There were several needles this time." Sam stopped talking. She frowned as she concentrated.

"Needles and..."

"An ultrasound." Sam's eyes grew wide. The blood left her face and her arms dropped off her legs. She pushed herself up from the sofa and ran to the bathroom. Daniel wasn't fast enough to stop her. She slammed the door and he heard the sound of her retching.

Daniel got a glass of water from the kitchen and brought into the bathroom. By the time he opened the door she had finished throwing up and was leaning back against the tub. He handed her the water. She swished and spit into the toilet. Her eyes were closed as she leaned back against the tub.

"What did you remember Sam?"

"I can't tell you." Her answer was barely above a whisper.

"You can tell me anything, Sam." She opened her eyes. Her fear scared him. He couldn't believe something that had hurt her as much as this had been trapped within her for years.

"He can't ever know. He'd never get over it. He'd never forgive me or himself." Daniel reached out and pulled her towards his chest.

"Let me help."

"I was pregnant."

"What?" Daniel pushed her back just far enough so he could see her face.

"I didn't know until I lost the baby."

"It was Jack's?" Tears erupted from her eyes.

"Yes."

"Why did it..."

"Janet wasn't sure if it was being zatted or the protein and naquada left by Jolinar." Sam collapsed back onto Daniel's chest.

"Either way, you thought Jack would have blamed himself." Daniel felt her nod against his chest. Daniel began to shake with the thought of how this news would affect Jack. "Oh, God Sam why did you try to deal with this yourself?"

"I didn't." Her reply sounded muffled and garbled since her face was pressed against Daniel's chest. "Cassie went to stay with her grandparents. Janet took me on a little trip. She helped me deal with what had happened. It gave me time to decided what to do."

"And you decided to push Jack away." Sam didn't respond with words but her sobs increase in intensity and volume. All Daniel could do was hold her until she cried herself to exhaustion. He helped her to bed. He watched her before he closed the door to her room. She had never failed to amaze him. He never would have guessed his best friend had struggled against anorexia as a teenager and had a miscarriage right under his nose. Were her acting skills that good or was his friendship with her shallower then he imagined? Daniel went back to the living room to wait for Teal'c while he pondered the true nature of his friendship with Sam.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 26 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 26

Sticks and Stones Chapter 26

by Kimberly

Summary: Jack discovers Sam's secret!
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-18

Thanks for all the great reviews. My beta feels properly chastised and promises to try and keep up with my writing (he doesn't want me to try and of the torture methods you suggested).

Sticks and Stones Chapter 26:

Daniel was feeling miserable by the time he heard a loud knock on the door. He had convinced himself that he was shallow and not worth Sam's friendship. The door knocked him to his senses and he raced to open it before the loud knocking disturbed Sam.

"Teal'c, do you think you brought enough?" Daniel couldn't help but grin at the two pizzas, a bag of Japanese, a box of Tai, bucket of chicken, and stack of sub sandwiches.

"O'Neill has the drinks and desserts. I could not choose which specialty might please Colonel Carter so I got all of her favorites." Teal'c stepped past Daniel and moved towards the kitchen.

"Jack's with you?" Daniel spun and looked out the door and saw Jack's SUV parked behind Teal'c's. Jack was struggling with several bags.

"Indeed, he also requires nourishment and the company of his friends." Teal'c stepped back past Daniel to help Jack with the remaining bags. Together they made their way back towards Daniel, each carrying a manageable load.

"I tried to stop him from getting all of this Daniel, but who can resist his puppy dog eyes." Jack grinned at Teal'c.

"I do not have the eyes of an infant canine, O'Neill." Jack burst out laughing but Daniel was still standing stunned in the doorway holding open the door.

"Uhhh, Daniel. You're letting out all the cold air. I guess that's actually the warm air since we're in Colorado but the theory still works. You're letting out the air Carter pays for and letting in the free air. How about close the door." Daniel stared at Jack for a moment before he reacted.

"Oh, right. The door, sorry." Daniel walked past the kitchen.

"So where's Carter?"

"She's lying down. I'll go see if she's ready for dinner."

"Daniel, is everything alright?" Daniel kept moving towards the bedroom.

"Why wouldn't it be?" As Daniel left Jack's sight Jack turned to face Teal'c.

"Do you get the feeling he was avoiding my question?"

"Indeed."

"Do you think I should follow him?"

"I do not think I have enough information to answer that question."

"Thanks for the help, T my man. Can you finish getting out the plates and glasses while I go check on those two?" Teal'c nodded his head and Jack walked out of the kitchen.

As Daniel entered her bedroom he could see her eyes were open although she hadn't moved from where he had placed her a few hours earlier. He quietly walked over and sat on the bed next to her. He ran his fingers through her hair, pushing it back behind her ear. She didn't move or acknowledge his presence.

"Sam, it's time for dinner." Daniel bent over and looked at her face. Her eyes didn't move and they seemed to be unfocused. "Sam?"

"Daniel, what the hell is going on?" Daniel almost fell off the bed as his head shot up and he saw Jack standing in the doorway.

"Sam was uuhhmmmm...tired, and she uhhhhh..." Daniel looked back and forth between Sam and Jack. He saw her face change as she realized Jack was in front of her. She buried her face in the pillow and began to cry. Daniel grabbed Jack's arm as Jack moved towards Sam.

"Jack, don't." Jack looked at Daniel and then at Sam. "I'll take care of her." Jack looked at Sam again. He nodded slowly and walked backwards, in agonizingly slow steps, towards the door. With one final lingering look at Sam, he turned around the edge of the door and leaned against the wall. His heart was racing and his hands were shaking. He knew somehow he was responsible for her current condition but he didn't know what he could have done to cause this.

"It's ok, Sam. He's gone." Jack could hear Daniel softly speaking to Sam. Daniel's words confirmed Jack's fear. Jack's heart leapt into his throat. He knew she had remembered the reason they had stopped trying to find a way to be together.

"I promise I won't tell. There's no other way for him to find out. It'll be ok, I promise." Damn him, thought Jack. Now she's convinced Daniel to keep her little secret.

"What if General Hammond tells him?" Her voice was so soft Jack almost couldn't make out the words.

"The General knew it was Jack's?"

"I don't know. We never discussed it. I always assumed he knew because he always got the medical reports and he gave us the leave as soon as Janet requested it."

"If the General kept your secret this long he won't tell him now." Jack hadn't heard Daniel's reply. He quickly but quietly made his way to the front door. Without saying goodbye to any of his friends, he sped back to the SGC.

Jack didn't acknowledge any of the airmen as he made his way into the depths of the mountain and the security of his office. A few of the airmen noticed the difference in his demeanor and it made them nervous. Usually when General O'Neill acted like this the planet was under attack. Even with the absence of blaring klaxons, a few of the men who passed General O'Neill decided they would be sure to give their families extra goodnight kisses tonight, just in case.

As soon as Jack got to his office, he turned on his computer monitor. It took over forty minutes for him to find the right folder. When he read the medical report on Carter submitted after the entity, he realized what had happened to Sam. He leaned back in his chair and didn't even try to stop the tears forming in his eyes.

He had killed another of his children. He had killed Sam's baby. The baby Sam could have had with him! That explained it all for him. How could she not hate him! That's why she disappeared, wouldn't accept his phone calls, told him she couldn't break the regulations or be this close to him. This's why she pushed him out of her life! He deserved her hatred.

Jack made his way out of the mountain and drove around in circles until he found himself at home. He ignored the beeping number three on his answering machine. He went straight to the kitchen and found the scotch he kept hidden for special occasions. He figured a funeral of sorts was enough of an occasion.

Daniel got Sam to eat a little food before she fell asleep again. When he went back out to the living room he noticed Teal'c was watching Nick at Nite but Jack wasn't around.

"Where's Jack?"

"I am not sure. He left quite unexpectedly, without partaking of his evening meal." Teal'c could tell Daniel was very flustered.

"How long ago?"

"It was at least an hour ago, not long after he followed you to Colonel Carter's room."

"Ah, damn! Can you stay here tonight?"

"Indeed."

"And can I use your car?"

"Indeed. Where are you going?"

"Good question. Where would he go?" Teal'c knew this was a rhetorical question so he waited until Daniel answered himself. Daniel picked up the phone.

"Jack? Hi, it's Daniel. Pick up if you're there. Please Jack, we need to talk." Daniel pressed the receiver.

"He's not at home. I'll try the SGC." Teal'c nodded his agreement.

"Please connect me with General Jack O'Neill please." There was a long pause while Daniel shifted his weight from foot to foot. "Ok, thank-you sergeant."

"He left the base about ten minutes ago. I'll check out a few of his favorite haunts and I'll keep calling his house, just in case." Teal'c threw his keys to Daniel. Daniel looked down the hall towards Sam's room.

"Colonel Carter will be fine. Go help O'Neill."

"Thanks, Teal'c."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 27 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 27

Sticks and Stones Chapter 27

by Kimberly

Summary: Now that they both know what will they do?
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-19

Sticks and Stones Chapter 27:

Daniel checked three bars, two restaurants, and drove past Jack's dark house twice. He hadn't had any luck and it was now past midnight. After searching the last bar Daniel decided the best thing he could do was go back to Jack's house and wait for him to show.

Daniel let himself in the front door and turned on a light. He was shocked when he heard a groan from the living room.

"Jack?"

"Who'd you expect in my house, Homer Simpson?"

"I've been looking all over for you. Have you been here the whole time?"

"Yeah, and not finding nearly as much peace and quiet with that damn answering machine going off every ten minutes."

"I was worried when you left Sam's without saying anything."

"Turn off that damn light, it hurts my eyes." Daniel turned off the hall light and made his way into the living room. He turned on a small lamp beside the sofa. Jack was sprawled on the floor near the porch door. There was an empty bottle of scotch and several empty beer bottles near him.

"Since you're here, how about make yourself useful and get me another beer?"

"You know don't you?"

"I'm trying damn hard not to and it would help if you'd get me another beer."

"Get your own beer, Jack. I'm not going to be your enabler tonight. Drinking isn't going to change this."

"You're right Daniel, but since nothing can change it there isn't any harm in drinking myself to oblivion."

"Sam never told you because she thought this is what would happen. She's held this inside and let it fester for years because she was afraid of hurting you. How do you repay her? By proving you can't handle it." Daniel threw himself down on the sofa, weary from searching for Jack and worrying about Sam.

"Is Teal'c with her?"

"Yeah, he said he'd stay the night."

"Good."

"It would be better if you told her you knew and you weren't angry with her."

"Angry with her? How could I be angry with her? I took away her child. She should be angry with me."

"She's not mad at you. She blames herself for not being careful enough and she afraid you will hate her for letting your child die. She feels just as guilty as you, Jack. You should both try and help each other instead of tearing yourselves apart."

"Look at my track record, Danny. I have a bad habit of killing my children and then pushing their mother's away. I'm not good at this Daniel. Help me." Jack turned his head away from Daniel. Daniel could hear his sobs and see Jack's chest heaving.

"That's why I'm here Jack. That's why I'm here."

After Jack calmed his breathing Daniel helped him get to bed.

"Get some sleep Jack. We'll both go back to her house in the morning." Jack just nodded his head as the alcohol and the anguish pulled him into a deep but restless slumber.

Daniel was up before Jack the next morning. Daniel made coffee and wasn't surprised to hear Jack groan as the smell of the coffee wafted down the hall.

"Morning, Jack!" Daniel yelled down the hall towards Jack's bedroom. "Do you want some breakfast?" The door to Jack's bedroom slowly opened. Jack blinked and covered his eyes. Daniel had opened every curtain in the house so the whole place, with the exception of Jack's bedroom was flood with morning light.

"You're a real bastard, you know that don't you?" Daniel smiled at Jack's remark.

"Yeah, but you love me for it. Go get showered so we can get to Sam's."

"I can't Daniel. She'll never want to see me again."

"It wasn't a request. It was an order and you do orders well. Now get showered." Jack went to the bathroom and took the ordered shower, but only because he really needed one. He did not intend to step one foot in Sam's house today or any other day. When Jack finished dressing Daniel handed him a travel mug of coffee and two aspirin.

"Ready?"

"I'm not going, Daniel."

"Abandon her now and you will lose her forever. Right, now this is a fresh pain for both of you. Live it together and you will survive. Try to do this alone and it will work out as well as it did with Sarah." Jack's face blanched. He didn't want to lose Sam, as a friend or anything else.

"Who does Sam know that is better qualified to help her get through this than you?"

"Damn it, Daniel, fine. We'll go." Jack stormed out the door to Teal'c's vehicle. Daniel closed up Jack's house and got in the driver's side of Teal'c's SUV. Neither of the men spoke during the ride to Sam's house. Daniel let himself in when they arrived. Jack followed, several paces behind Daniel.

"How is she doing this morning, Teal'c?"

"She has not yet left her bedroom. I have tried to speak to her several times but she does not acknowledge my presence." Daniel and Jack could see the worry subtly etched on Teal'c's face.

"Go on Jack. She needs you, not us." Daniel gave Jack a small shove down the hall. Daniel whispered to Teal'c as Jack took one tentative step after another towards her room. The sound of a door closing made Jack look towards the front door. Daniel and Teal'c had left! Jack got the door in time to see Daniel and Teal'c leaving in Teal'c's SUV.

Damn them! They left him here, with her, and no means of escape. Jack closed the door and turned back towards Sam's room. He slowly walked down the hall, cursing Daniel with each step. He knew leaving him here was Daniel's idea. Teal'c would never have abandoned him unless Daniel had suggested it. He stood outside her door listening. He didn't hear anything. There was no sobbing, no sheets rustling, just silence.

Jack opened the door and saw her lying on her bed curled around a pillow with her eyes open. She seemed to be looking at the door although she didn't acknowledge his presence.

"Sam?" Her eyes focused and then she closed them. Her face tensed and she turned her head into her pillow.

"Sam, we need to talk." She shook her head no.

"He promised not to tell you." Jack a step into the room.

"He didn't tell me and it would be easier to understand you if you weren't talking into a pillow." She turned her head so she was facing him but her eyes were still tightly squeezed shut.

"But you know, right?"

"I read the report Janet wrote."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, Sam. If I could go back and change things, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd do anything to have given you the chance to have that baby." A tear ran down the bridge of Sam's nose and fell on the pillow.

"I thought I was all cried out." Jack took another step into the room.

"There is no such thing, not when something like this happens." Suddenly Sam sat up. Her eyes widened and she gasped aloud. Jack closed the distance to the bed in two large steps. He sat down so he was behind her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"What is it?"

"Janet and I buried it. We had a small memorial service. Oh God, I'm so sorry. I should have told you. You should have been there too. I was so scared this would destroyed you that I didn't even think about what my lies would do to us."

"I know, I know. Although I'm disappointed you didn't think you could tell me, I can understand why you did it. All that matters now is we deal with this together." She leaned back on his chest.

"You're not mad at me?"

"No."

"Are you mad at yourself?"

"Maybe a little but I know I couldn't have done anything differently. If I hadn't zatted you then you and the baby would still have died. At least I was able to save you." Sam turned in his arms and hugged him. He held her tightly.

"We picked a burial sight near Charlie." She said it quietly but her mouth was so close to his ear that he heard her perfectly. He pulled back slightly so he could see her face.

"What? Why?"

"That way when you went to visit Charlie you'd be visiting our child too, even if you didn't know it. It made me feel better knowing you were close to it."

"Her."

"What?"

"In Janet's report she said the baby was a girl."

"I guess I never asked her after she finished all her tests." Sam laid her head back on his shoulder.

"How about you get cleaned up and we'll go visit them together." Sam nodded her head yes but she didn't attempt to move. It felt right to be in his arms, especially now that she was free of the burden her secret had placed on her heart. After several minutes, Jack eased her up and helped her to the bathroom. She took the hint and began getting ready. Jack went out to the kitchen to fix some more coffee.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 29 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 29

Sticks and Stones Chapter 29

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam and jack are talking - not realistic based on the show but it still makes a good fic.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-29

I know you are getting sick of the apologies and excuses but this time my beta (husband) ended up with stitches in his hand after falling down. Between the pain and the drugs he hasn't been able to stay awake after work long enough to beta. I got on his case while the kids were watching tv and he got one chapter finished. I'll bug him again tomorrow!

Sticks and Stones Chapter 29:

Jack rubbed his stiff neck as the smell of coffee teased his nose. He opened one eye and looked around Sam's living room. He had been strong enough to not sleep in her bedroom, even though she had tried to pull him with her. Jack sat up and turned so he could see her in the kitchen. Her back was towards him and she was pouring coffee.

"Morning, beautiful. Any dreams?" Sam turned to face him. A beautiful smile lit her face.

"I blew up a sun. Do you know how few people ever get a chance to something that...that...huge?" Jack stood and walked towards the kitchen.

"As a matter of fact I do know. I also know how few people would be capable of coming up with such a daring and ingenious plan." Jack walked up to Sam and reached around her to get an empty mug. Her lips met his neck as his arms went around her.

"I still have morning breath," Jack reminded her.

"So do I." She whispered as her tongue darted out towards his earlobe. Jack sucked in a breath and used both hands to hold onto the cabinet. His legs were still early morning weak and his blood was suddenly rushing to the wrong place.

"Sam, don't do this, not yet. We still need time." Sam's head came up and she locked eyes with Jack.

"How can I convince you this is what I want? It's what I wanted three years ago and it's what I want today." Sam rotated her hips, driving Jack to a new level of insanity. Jack took a step back, leaving the coffee cup on the counter.

"No, it isn't what you wanted three years ago. You may not remember yet, but you decided you wanted was Orlin. At the time, I was still trying to convince you that we could make things between us work. You made it very clear that we couldn't." Sam watched the pain cloud his face.

"And all of this happened in secret so you couldn't let on to anyone how much I was hurting you."

"The genius gets another one right. Give her two points." Jack back away until he hit the opposite counter. Sam turned and filled his coffee cup. She turned back towards him and handed him the cup.

"So tell me about it. Maybe I'll remember as you talk." Sam walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. She sat on the couch and curled her feet under her legs. Jack followed her into the room and sat on the opposite end of the sofa.

"Do you really want to spend the morning dredging up painful memories?" Jack's brow creased as he watched her.

"Yes, the sooner we talk, the sooner we can move past them." The warmth and sincerity in her gaze drew Jack towards her. He wanted to be past it but he had been so angry for so long. He wasn't sure he was ready to drop it. He was scared she would turn on him again.

"Alright, you rubbed Orlin in my face."

"Let me guess he died in my arms." Sam grinned, thinking she was making a joke.

"Well, technically...yes." Jack looked into his coffee cup.

"Oh, for freaking sake! Don't tell me I pulled the trigger again!"

"No, no. This time he sacrificed himself to save us. He isn't really dead either. He ascended, which was actually the second time he had ascended. He descended to be with you."

"That sounds like a lot of commitment."

"The way Daniel tells it you didn't actually tell him to descend, he just decided he liked you so much he would become flesh and move in. He built a gate in your basement."

"A stargate?" Sam's eyes grew twice their usual size.

"Yeah, you both went through it to stop an SGC team from starting some weapon that would have brought the ancients wrath upon them. You ended up with one hell of a big credit card bill too. I think General Hammond found a way to help with that, since the SGC ended up with the gate he built."

"I dated somebody capable of building their own stargate?"

"Twice."

"I dated him again?"

"No, there was this other alien guy, Narim."

"I remember him. We found him in the ashes. He thought I was an angel." Sam smiled at the recollection.

"Yeah, Teal'c said he liked you so much he programmed his house to speak to him with your voice."

"A speaking house, huh? You're pretty much telling me that you're the most normal person I've ever dated." Sam pouted up her lips and gave Jack an amusing glare.

"Well, yeah, at least until Pete entered the scene." Jack's coffee mug was empty but it still managed to hold his interest as he spoke.

"So what were things like between us as I was dating all of these aliens?"

"I knew you were trying to make me upset, and I was bound and determined to not let it work. I figured if I just stayed sweet and caring then you would go nuts. Narim never had you anyway. You thought he was too dull."

"He could build a stargate and I thought he was too dull?" Sam's eyebrows arched and Jack looked up to catch a glimpse of her face. He smiled.

"He was too easy. He followed you around with his tongue hanging out. There was no challenge there for you."

"Way easier then going after my commanding officer and potentially facing a court martial."

"Exactly." Jack shot his hand out towards Sam to emphasize that she finally saw things his way. Sam shook her head and smiled. She knew she could read Jack better then any man she could remember. She doubted he would be thrilled to know she found him to easy to understand.

"Go on. What else did I do to provoke you?"

"There was this ambassador guy who you were willing to openly flirt with right in front of me."

"So where are Narim and this ambassador?" The grimace on his face told her everything. "Oh you have got to be kidding! Did I kill them or hold them while they were dying?"

"Neither actually. We lost contact with Narim after his planet was attacked by the Goa'uld. His last report was bad and we haven't been able to dial his planet since. The ambassador was lost on a mission. He sacrificed himself so you could get back to warn us. He saved the planet."

"At least I seem to go after the self-sacrificing type, always willing to die to save Earth. As a matter of fact based on the memories I currently have that also seems to describe you!" Sam was up off the sofa, pacing and yelling. "Why would anyone want to date me with this great track record! I bet I'm the talk of the town with the way I seem to lead men to their deaths!" Sam was breathing hard and facing away from Jack. He stood and slowly walked up behind her. He placed his hands on her shoulders and pulled her back. She resisted and he pulled harder. When she relented, he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I'm sorry, Sam. I didn't mean to present this all like this." He felt her tears even though she didn't make a sound. "No one thinks you draw men in like a black widow."

"A black widow?" She turned to face him. "Is that the reputation I've earned? If that's what you think, why are you even here? Why risk yourself?" Sam backed up and tried to pull away.

"Sam, never. No matter how hard I've tried to stop loving you I've failed. Even as we fought, pushed, and ignored one another my love for you grew." Jack pulled her a step closer to him. "I stopped being able deny how I felt when you were kidnapped. It happened right here on Earth, right under my nose. I'd been trying so hard to give you space, hoping you would miraculously decide you couldn't live without me, that I didn't even know you were gone for three days. I almost lost you because I was such a pig headed jerk." Sam let herself be pulled back into his arms. She felt him shaking as he recalled almost losing her.

"It sounds like we're both equally stubborn and pig-headed." Jack chuckled.

"Yeah, that's part of what makes us work so well." Sam looked up into his eyes. They briefly kissed but Jack didn't let it deepen. "Sam, I want to work through these memories. Once you're all back in one piece then I want to re-explore an us, depending on what you discover about you and Pete. I firmly refuse to try to move forward until you've had a chance to review your entire past."

"I get it, Jack. I'll keep working on my head as long as you promise to keep coming by, to remind me what I am working towards." Sam leaned up and kissed him again. Jack lingered and fell into a deeper kiss. Her hands found their way to his hair. He felt himself losing control just as she pulled back.

"So what should we do today, now that we know what we aren't going to do?" It took Jack's brain a minute to catch up. His mind was still where his blood had rushed. As her words began to make sense, he smiled.

"Do you remember bowling?"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 30 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 30

Sticks and Stones Chapter 30

by Kimberly

Summary: Let's deal with the other men in Sam's life and Daniel's death.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-02

Sticks and Stones Chapter 30:

"Hey, Sam. Whatcha doing?" Daniel ambled over to Sam's lab bench and sat down across from her and her laptop.

"I am going back over the planetary drift calculations General O'Neill provided us from the download of the Ancients. Even after all this time I haven't been able to reconcile it with our previous equations. I would rather understand it better instead of just using it because it works."

"I guess you're really bored if you're dredging that back up."

"I wouldn't say I was bored, just trying to be productive." Sam closed the laptop and looked squarely at Daniel. "What I'd really like is to begin going through the gate again."

"Have you talked to Jack about it?"

"Easier said then done, Daniel, especially with the way things stand right now."

"Let me guess, your memories are moving into what Teal'c and I referred to as the winter of your relationship with Jack."

"You and Teal'c related us to the seasons?"

"It made sense at the time. You have to understand, neither of you ever discussed what was really going on, at least not with me. Teal'c and I just picked up pieces here and there and watched the emotions take you both for roller coaster rides."

"Ah, so what did you pick up and how does it relate to the seasons?"

"Well, in the spring of your relationship you and Jack flirted like crazy. It was fun for all of us and provided many nights of laughter around the campfire. Every once in a while it seemed to get really hot and you'd both back off for a few days until you couldn't stand it and started all over again."

"That I remember. It was fun and a bit exciting." Sam looked wistful and smiled.

"The summer of your non-existent relationship seemed more intense. The flirting died down but there were looks and slight touches. I never asked Teal'c what he thought but I was sure you two had finally thrown caution and the regulations to the wind. I asked Jack a few times but he never admitted nor denied it. I guess now I know I was right."

"Sort of, although most of the time alien influences still seemed to play a roll in our going too far over the line. Without those influences, we probably would have gotten there on our own, just not as quickly. So, what happened in the fall?

"The fall was short. Right after the computer thing you left and when you returned it got cool between the two of you. Jack blew it off at first. He kept telling me not to worry that you'd be back to your old self any day. Even as you seemed to be seeing other men..."

"You mean Orlin and Narim?"

"Yeah, you remember?"

"I wasn't really seeing either of them. I guess Orlin did help me try to forget about the pain of losing the baby and hurting Jack, but Narim was never more then a friend, even though he tried and wanted to be more."

"Jack hated knowing they wanted you but he stayed calm about it. He was doing ok, in his Jack way, until after you were kidnapped. That was when the winter started."

"Did you know they almost killed me? A few more minutes and they would have cut open my skull to remove my brain."

"I heard that was the plan. They were a couple of sickos, that's for sure. We were lucky we found you. Jack was very determined. I'm not sure he slept the whole time. If he hadn't gotten shot he probably would have followed you around for the next month."

"Things got cold after that, huh?"

"Yeah, I don't know what about that made Jack's perspective change but he seemed to give up on there being a relationship between you. Don't get me wrong; you were both professional, very professional in fact, but there were fewer laughs. I wasn't having as much fun anymore."

"Fun? You found being shot and tortured on a regular basis fun? Has anybody told you to get better hobbies? Sam smiled at Daniel.

"Like you have any room to talk, Ms. I blew up a sun." Daniel grinned back at Sam. "The team dynamic seemed to get tense as you and Jack lost the personal edge. We stopped going out as a team. Even team nights got shorter and strained. I felt trapped between my two best friends." Daniel looked down at his hands.

"Is that why it was so easy to leave?" Daniel stood up and moved around to hug Sam.

"That was part of it. I no longer felt like I belonged. I didn't feel like I had a place here anymore. I guess I was escaping, although at the time I told myself I was going to be doing more for our cause. I'm sorry I hurt you. I'm sorry you had to watch me die. I'm sorry I left you."

Neither Daniel nor Sam heard Jack walk up to the door. He listened to Daniel describe the effect he and Sam had had upon Daniel. Thinking back on it, Jack was surprised to realize Daniel had been so deeply affected.

"And I'm sorry I refused to be there for you." Daniel and Sam turned to look at Jack. Daniel took a step away from Sam as Jack walked towards her. "I was a total bastard. When you were kidnapped I thought I'd lost you." Daniel continued backing up towards the door.

"My heart went through the ringer while we looked for you. I hadn't known until then that I was so deeply in love with you. When I woke up in the hospital, I knew I had to push you away before you pushed me or I'd be lost again. You made it easy to stay away at first and over time I began to get angry that you didn't seem to be affected by my distance." Daniel stepped out into the hall. He knew this wasn't his discussion but he couldn't pull himself completely away. Teal'c had told him how Jack had push Sam away when she needed support after Daniel's ascension. Daniel was surprised Jack wouldn't have helped the whole team, especially Sam. It made sense now. It also meant Sam and Jack still had mountains to climb if they were going to have a future. Daniel was worried they might not be able to climb that high.

Sam stood and walked over to Jack.

"I needed you."

"And I wasn't there. You tried repeatedly but I refused to let you in. I wanted to hurt you. I wanted you to feel as alone as I had when you disappeared without a word after the computer entity and when you were being held by Conrad. I wanted you to hurt." Jack reached one hand out towards her shoulder.

"It worked. Even when we thought we were going to die on the meteor headed to Earth, you refused to budge. You'd have let me die without knowing you still cared and without letting me tell you how I felt. You're damn good at causing pain." Sam sat down and looked at the floor.

"Always was better at causing pain then opening up. I told myself you were either just playing with me or you didn't know what you really wanted. I had to be the one to keep the breaks on. I had to help you see there were better options out there."

"You had to be the one making the decisions. If you're so damn willing to go along with my strange ideas on saving the planet why can't you believe me when I tell you I love you and want to spend my life with you? Who are you really afraid of, me or yourself?" Sam looked up at Jack. She couldn't tell if anything she had said had made a difference.

"I didn't know then and I don't know now." Jack took one step closer and put his hand on top of hers. "I do know that we both made mistakes but the future might give us an opportunity to make different choices. Our path was set before you were injured, because we were too hurt and scared to discuss us. If we keep talking about why we got where we were we might be able to create a future we could both look forward to living."

"I'd like that." She squeezed his hand. "Speaking of the future, when do you think I can start going through the gate again?"

"The gate! Are you nuts! You haven't even gotten all of your memories back yet!"

"But I'm close and what I have back gives me more history on the program then most SGC field unit members. Daniel, Teal'c and I could do rechecks on a few of our friendly neighbors. It would give us a chance to work as a field team again and get out of this mountain." Sam looked up at him with her most sincere face. She was begging and he couldn't resist her.

"I'll see what the doc says."

"She said there wasn't any physical reason I couldn't go back on gate duty. Even my psychiatrist thinks it would help speed my recovery, even if she is already impressed I've done so well."

"Like usual, you've covered all the bases. Let's have a briefing tomorrow and discuss it with Teal'c, Daniel, and all the docs involved." Sam stood and hugged him.

"Thank-you." Jack put his arms around her and soaked in the feel of her in his arms. They hadn't been like this since he stayed with her last week. He had to remind himself they were at work and under constant observation. He pulled back.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes, sir." Sam beamed but Jack grimaced.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 31 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 31

Sticks and Stones Chapter 31

by Kimberly

Summary: Things are beginning to bother Sam again.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-05

Sticks and Stones Chapter 31:

Their first two missions went off without a hitch. She assumed General O'Neill had worked hard to make sure she got the most routine and boring missions possible. She couldn't blame him for being overprotective. She was going to have to find a way to make him confident in her skills again.

The time with Daniel and Teal'c had helped strengthen their already strong bonds. They followed her lead, asked her advice, and helped her feel empowered. They let her know she was still the leader of SG-1. Having their support was the first step to having General O'Neill's blessing to go on real missions again. Eventually SG-1 would again be recognized as the flagship team of the SGC.

As Sam stepped back through the gate she was rewarded with the usual, "Welcome back SG-1. Get checked out in the infirmary. Briefing at 1200." She looked up and saw Jack smiling at her. She returned the smile as she handed her weapons to the waiting airman.

The infirmary visit was routine. Daniel had made it through the trip without even a bruise! It helped that they were on a purely diplomatic mission. They spent more time eating and going to meetings then exploring. They all got to the briefing with five minutes to spare. Sam could see Jack talking on the red phone as she, Daniel, and Teal'c settled into their seats. It only took Jack three minutes to finish his conversation and enter the briefing room. Sam stood as he entered but he waved her back down.

"At ease, Colonel." Sam nodded and returned to her seat. "What can you tell me about our friends on Retaina?"

"Their crops did well this year. The genetically modified corn and barley have grown exceptionally well. The apple and peach farmers have reported similar success. They are interested in importing more foods, especially foods that are modified to have such large yields." Sam smiled as she made her report.

"You should have seen the difference in their schools too. Since we helped them modernize their farms the kids have been able spend more time in school. That little Natan kid that liked you so much has started a newspaper in his town. Last time we were there he could barely read." Daniel was so excited his right leg was jiggling below the table.

"Indeed, it is amazing the difference two years can make. We have done a good thing helping these people avoid the starvation that was plaguing their planet by teaching them to survive rather then just giving them supplies." Teal'c nodded his approval.

"You know what they say, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime."

"I believe I have encountered this phrase before. It was good to see it put to use." The briefing ended well and Jack dismissed SG-1 for a long weekend.

"Carter, could you stay for a moment?"

"Yes, sir." Sam smiled at Daniel and Teal'c as they left the room. She knew staying back would give them both a chance to shower and change before she got to the locker room.

"How have you been the last couple of weeks, Sam?" Jack walked into his office and indicated she should sit in the chair across from his desk.

"Fine sir. It's been great getting back out into the field, although I'm looking forward to going on exploration and first contact missions again."

"In time, Sam, in time. Let an old man do things slowly."

"You're not old, sir." Sam smiled at him. The warmth in her eyes made them light up.

"That's a matter of perspective, Carter. What I really wanted to know when I invited you in was whether you had remembered anything else we need to discuss." Jack noticed her eyes slip from his face, even though the mask covering her emotions didn't falter.

"There have been brief flashes in my dreams, sir, but nothing substantial." There was something in her tone that made the hair on Jack's neck stand on end. She held her face completely neutral but her tone and her words let him know she was hiding. His heart sank. Up until this moment, he had believed they were breaking down the barriers that had kept them separated. As he watched her schooled reaction, he could see the bricks going in place around her. The wall was returning. He was beginning to lose.

"Alright, Colonel. Please remember that I'm here for you and I want to help you get those memories back. The sooner you're back at 100% the sooner SG-1 can get back on the normal duty roster."

"Yes, sir. If that's all sir, I'd like to get a shower and head home." Sam stood and straightened her back.

"Of course, Colonel. Dismissed." Jack watched her executed a regimental about face and leave his office. He kept his eyes on her as she went down the stairs. He felt like he was watching his future disappearing.

Sam went straight to the locker room. She got out her shower supplies and took off the filthy BDUs. She turned the shower on full steam and as hot as she could stand. She stood in the steam just outside the shower stall. Her stomach was in knots. She hated lying to Jack but she wasn't ready to tell him what had been happening in her head. As she stepped in the shower the image of Jack lying on a cot dying resurfaced. She had seen this numerous times in her dreams during the last mission. She knew she had begged him to be implanted so he would live. She had put her selfish desire to have him live above his desire to never have a snake in his head. She had turned her back on him and treated him like dirt, yet he was willing to hand himself over to the Tok'ra because she asked him to do it.

As the water poured over her head she began to recall the days of searching for him. The fear she had sent him to the Goa'uld. The disgust on his face when he first saw her as she rescued him still made her sick. She knew he had been angry with her for turning her back on him before he left with the Tok'ra. As far as she was concerned it was clear after he was rescued that he also blamed her for his torture.

As the shampoo ran down the drain tears formed in her eyes. She told herself she must have gotten shampoo in her eyes, but it's easier to lie to the world and your friend then to yourself. The heat of the shower could not stop her shivers. She turned off the water and toweled off. The memories of the months of isolation from Jack were weighing her down. She dressed and headed for the surface.

"Hey, Sam. You wanna go out for a beer?" Daniel jogged up behind Sam, who was waiting for the elevator. Teal'c slowly walked up behind Daniel taking his customary large steps.

"No, thanks. I'm a bit tired. I'm just going to call it a night." Sam stepped away from Daniel as he reached out to her. She didn't want their comfort. She wanted to feel this pain. She deserved this pain. She hurt Jack. She drove him away and then pushed him into Baal's hands. Maybe Daniel didn't know how awful she had been but surely Teal'c knew.

Daniel watched Sam closely as they rode up the elevator. He knew she had been pulling away slightly as their last mission had continued but she suddenly seemed much more removed.

"Sam, are you alright? Is there something you'd like to discuss?" Daniel tried again to take a step closer to Sam. The small size of elevator wouldn't let her get too far away.

"Why this sudden interest in talking all the time? The way I remember it we were all really good at keeping our private lives private." Daniel's eyes widened and his body tensed as Sam began to raise her voice.

"You are correct, Colonel Carter. All of us were very good at keeping our emotions tightly controlled but since your injury we have all made great strides in being open. As humans say this has been the silver lining on the dark cloud."

"Too much of a good thing can be bad Teal'c." Sam stepped out as the elevator door opened. Daniel and Teal'c let Sam check out first and they didn't attempt to follow her out of the parking lot. As they watched her pulling out of the lot Daniel got out his cell phone.

"Hey, Jack. It's Daniel. Has something happened to Sam?"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 32 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 32

Sticks and Stones Chapter 32

by Kimberly

Summary: Daniel tried to cheer up Sam. Hopefully this bit of humor amid the angst will also cheer you.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-09

I had to throw in some humor - the story was getting too heavy. I promise to get back to solving the angst soon. I will be out of town most of this week so don't get too anxious waiting for the next chapter.

Sticks and Stones Chapter 32:

Daniel grimaced and looked back at Teal'c as he heard a third cabinet door being slammed. They had been standing outside Sam's front door for over three minutes while Daniel tried to collect the courage to knock. Every time he got ready to knock, she would slam a cabinet or curse loudly. Daniel readjusted the lab coat he was wearing and rang the doorbell. They heard the improper expletive that left her normally chaste mouth. Daniel shuddered slightly as the door began to open.

Sam was slightly stunned by the image before her. Her anger, directly solely at herself, was temporarily forgotten. Sam looked from Daniel's head to his feet and back up. He was wearing a black skirt, pink sweater, and a white lab coat. The tennis shoes didn't really match the outfit and she was glad he had decided to forget about wearing hose. As her eyes moved back up from his feet, he quickly put a brown wig on his head. As her eyes returned to his face, she noticed his make up.

"How about letting me in before your neighbors call the cops or I die of embarrassment." Daniel was avoiding her attempts to make eye contact. Sam stepped out of his way and gave both men enough room to enter. She quietly followed them into her living room.

"Daniel, care to explain your choice in attire today?" Sam couldn't stop the grin creeping onto her face.

"Well I'm glad it has helped you smile a bit." Daniel's eyebrows raised a bit.

"You did all this," Sam waved her hands indicating Daniels strange get-up, "just to make me smile."

"Well, no not really. I just figured you looked like you needed a friend to talk to today. Although you have always been friends with Jack and us, we didn't have the same relationship with you that Janet did." As soon as Daniel mentioned Janet Sam understood his choice in attire. The smile left her face.

"You and Janet spent entire nights sitting up talking sometimes. It helped both of you deal with being women in a man's world. Your bond with her was unlike any other. I hoped I could try to be that person for you. I want you to feel safe really talking to me. I guess I want to be your girlfriend." Sam tried hard to be angry with Daniel for mocking Janet but as soon as Daniel offered to be her girlfriend Sam lost it. The sound of her intense laughter made Daniel jump.

"Sam?" Tears were running down Sam's face and she was bent over holding her stomach.

"Imagine...what the...marines...would say...if I told...them you were...my girlfriend!" Sam leaned back on the arm of a chair to prevent herself from falling over. Daniel tried to run his hand through his hair but his hand got trapped in the wig. As he tried to pull his hand out the wig came off his head and flew across the room. Sam's laugher increased in pitch and intensity. She slipped down the side of the chair and landed on the floor. She was trying to breath between bursts of laughter and tears were continuing to stream down her face. As the wig hit the wall Daniel gave in to the moment and joined her laughter. Teal'c couldn't maintain his stoic look and a huge grin broke across his face. Teal'c's laugh pushed Sam and Daniel further over the edge.

It was several minutes before Sam wiped her face and got her breathing more regulated. When she looked up at Daniel, who was grinning and playing with the edge of the too short skirt, Sam began to giggle again.

"I'll talk...but only if you...change clothes. Much more of this...laughing and I...might pass out...from lack of oxygen."

"I have a change of clothes in the car." Sam nodded. "Teal'c would you by any chance go out and get them? I don't want Sam's neighbors to see me again." As Daniel gave Teal'c a wave goodbye Sam caught sight of the cheap fake nails plastered to his fingers. Her body was wracked by a new set of tears and laughter. Sam was wiping tears off her face as Teal'c went out the door.

Daniel heard Teal'c returning and turned to thank him. Before he had a chance to say anything, he was caught off guard by a flash.

"What the hell was that?"

"Did you really think I would let you get off so easy? I had to have photographic proof that you would go to these extremes just to get me to talk. Have you ever dressed up to get Jack to talk?" Daniel grinned.

"Where do you think I got the idea?" Sam's eyes widened.

"When? What did you dress up as?"

"I'll reveal all, if you give me my clothes, a place to change, and erase that picture off your camera."

"I'll have to think about that last one." Sam showed Daniel to her guest room. She went to the kitchen to pour them each a lemonade.

Sam and Teal'c were sipping lemonade when Daniel returned, wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt.

"Still want to talk?" Sam bit her lower lip as she watched Daniel settle into a chair near the sofa. Teal'c was standing near the fireplace.

"Blue is a good color on you but Janet wore brown." Daniel looked down. His eyes roamed over his body but Sam could tell by the confused look on his face that he didn't know what she meant. Sam got out of her chair and went to her bathroom. When she returned she placed a small mirror in front of Daniel's face.

"Are you telling me the eye shadow was a bit much?" Sam chuckled and gave him the mirror.

"There's a hand towel lying beside the sink. You can use it after you wash your face." Daniel got up and went to wash off all the remnants of his disguise. When he returned Sam was back on the sofa flipping through a magazine. Teal'c had taken up residence in front of the television. Daniel took back his place in the chair and watched. It didn't take him long to realize if this conversation was going to begin he was going to have to be the one to start it.

"So what's going on in that genius brain of yours?"

"Are you trying to sound like Jack?"

"Not really but if it gets you talking I'll keep doing it." Sam shook her head. She watched Teal'c for a moment and decided he was ignoring the conversation.

"That's ok, I'd rather talk to you. Since you weren't here you might have an impartial opinion."

"I'll try. Tell me what's bothering you."

"We've already covered the fact that I pushed Jack away after I lost the baby."

"Yeah." Sam tucked her feet under her legs. She watched her hands as her fingers drummed on her thigh. The sound of the television temporarily drew her away from the conversation. Daniel cleared his throat.

"It didn't take him long to get angry about how I was brushing him off. Even through his anger, he still loved me. He went with the Tok'ra because I asked him to live. He did that for me even after I treated him like pond scum." Sam's face was drawn.

"There isn't anything you could do to stop him from loving you." Daniel was disturbed by her lack of a reaction.

"I might not be able to destroy his love but I could convince him I'm not worth the time or effort."

"Not possible Sam." Daniel slipped out of his chair and kneeled in front of her.

"We both went on with our lives trying to ignore what we felt."

"But?" Daniel was curious about what had occurred while he was gone. He had read the reports but they didn't cover what happened in his friends' personal lives. The reports couldn't explain why Sam and Jack still weren't together.

"I worked hard to prove he didn't try to kill Kinsey. What did I get for all that work? Not even so much as a thank-you. All he did was ask questions about Agent Barrett. He was so angry he couldn't even thank me. I turned on him again. He caught me out at a bar having drinks with a neighbor."

"Ouch." Daniel decided the floor wasn't comfortable enough so he scooted her over and made room to sit beside her.

"Yeah, he didn't speak to me for several days. That, of course, just made me more angry."

"You two really are made for each other." Sam glared at Daniel.

"On our next mission Maybourne took Jack and I couldn't figure out where they had gone. It took a month to find him. I never gave up but I lost my cool a few times. I tried to hide how I felt but Teal'c found me crying in the locker room once."

"I believed that when O'Neill returned things would be different. I thought you had in that moment realized your need for him." Teal'c turned as he spoke.

"I did realize I wanted him, needed him. He didn't have the same realization. He returned from that mission more bitter and angry. I don't know why."

"It was the plants he had consumed. He had not eaten as much as Maybourne but they had still affected him."

"Why didn't he tell me?"

"It is a pattern in your relationship with O'Neill that neither of you is fully open with the other."

"I guess so. Not much to build off of, is it?"

"It can change, if you both want it to change." Sam looked at Teal'c and saw the truth in his words.

"Ok, maybe it was the plants that affected him when he got back from that moon but that doesn't explain why he was going to let me die without telling me how he felt. He showed a hell of a lot more emotion when you were dying then when I was lying on that stinking cot wondering when I was going to liquefy." Sam pulled her hands away from Daniel and stood. She began to pace the room.

"He couldn't show his feelings."

"Why not? Because Teal'c was there! Maybe he didn't want the poor mutated aliens to know what he felt."

"They were telepathic. He would not have been able to hide his feelings from them. I think his feelings played a major role in them helping us escape." Teal'c stood and walked up behind Sam. He put a hand on her right shoulder.

"He would have let me die without ever saying good-bye. He told you and Daniel good-bye but he couldn't do that for me." Teal'c and Daniel heard the sob she refused to release in her voice as she spoke.

"I couldn't forgive him for that back then. I'm not sure I can now." Teal'c let go as she turned to look at him and Daniel.

"That's because you're still feeling it in the moment. Give this some more time. Read some more mission reports. Get past this."

"Are you sure I ever did get past it?"

"Yes." Daniel stood and walked over to join Sam and Teal'c. "When I descended the three of you were a solid team. I didn't feel any animosity between you."

"But did you feel we had more then friendship between us?" Daniel sighed and dropped his shoulders.

"Not at first, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I might just not have been able to pick up on it when I first came back."

"Somehow I think your initial feelings were right. There wasn't anything left between us but our jobs. If there is anything I've learned about myself the last few weeks it's that I highly value my job." The sadness in Sam's eyes hit Daniel like a hammer in the chest. He knew this wasn't his battle but he wanted to fight it for her and spare her the pain.

"I've had enough of this wallowing in past sorrows stuff. Are either of you guys willing to escort a lady to dinner?" Sam's lips quivered into a tight half grin.

"I would be pleased to escort you, Colonel Carter. Will you be joining us Daniel Jackson?"

"Are you sure the make-up is completely off? The last thing I need is to have some Marine catch me out to dinner wearing make-up."

"Teal'c and I will protect you Daniel."

"Oh, thanks, Sam." Sam linked arms with Daniel and Teal'c and led them towards her front door. She knew neither of them were done interrogating her but she was tired of the discussion for tonight. She wanted more time to decide whether her heart or her head should win the debate.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 35 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 35

Sticks and Stones Chapter 35

by Kimberly

Summary: Jack knows Sam went to visit John.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-24

Thanks for all of the wonderful reviews. I obviously got you interested with Mini-Jack. Now it's time to get back to the serious angst. On with the show...

Sticks and Stones Chapter 35:

The knock on her door wasn't too surprising. She knew one of her friends were sure to show up some time today. They worried too much, which wasn't always so bad. She opened her door and grinned as Jack held up a half gallon of decadent chocolate delight ice cream.

"My father told me to never trust a man bearing ice cream." He grinned.

"Are you listening to him all of a sudden?"

"No, but I thought it was best to warn you since he can be a real snake when he's riled." She stepped aside and let him enter the foyer.

"A real snake, huh. You should leave the bad puns and jokes to the pros Carter."

"Sorry, sir. I've got bowls and spoons."

"Luckily they go perfectly with this particular brand of ice cream." They both smiled and went to her kitchen. He fixed heaping bowls of ice cream. He took his bowl to the living room and sat on her sofa. She followed and sat at the other end of the sofa.

"How was school today?" He mumbled a bit due to the large hunk of ice cream he had shoved into his mouth.

"He told you?"

"No. The school called when he skipped his afternoon classes."

"Ah, makes sense." She looked into her bowl of ice cream and spun her spoon around the edge.

"Eat up before it melts." The silence was interrupted by the sound of their spoons making contact with their bowls. He couldn't keep his eyes off her mouth as she slowly pulled the spoon out of her mouth with each bite. She was perfectly aware of what she was doing to him. She took small bites, twisting the spoon in her mouth, and licking every bit of ice cream off the spoon. After about five bites she wasn't able to stop from grinning.

"You witch."

"Sir?"

"You're doing this on purpose."

"Maybe." She took another bite but the spoon emerged with a light coating of ice cream clinging to the back of the spoon. Sam slowly stuck out her tongue and licked the back of the spoon. She closed her eyes and slightly tilted her head back at the same time. She heard a quiet groan rumble from Jack's chest and she felt the cushions move as he readjusted his position on the sofa.

"I better go." Her eyes opened.

"I'll stop."

"Good, it would be embarrassing to die from watching you enjoy ice cream." Jack stood up and took his bowl into the kitchen.

"Are you still leaving?"

"I have to. SG-18 is due back soon and they were on an unstable planet. I need to be there when they gate back."

"Oh." Jack walked over behind the sofa. He leaned over and kissed her forehead.

"I promise I'll call later, ok."

"Sure." He hated leaving her like this but it was obvious they needed some space and he did need to get back to work.

"I could send Danny or Teal'c over later."

"No thanks, I need some me time." She walked him to the door. As his hand reached out towards the doorknob, she put her hand on his arm. He turned to look at her and she stepped closer. Even if he had wanted to stop her, she was too quick for him. Her lips touched his before his brain registered what was happening. When she pulled back he was grinning and his cheeks were slightly pink. There were no more words exchanged. She felt giddy but lonely as she watched him leaving.

Sam woke the next morning with new memories flooding her mind. She dressed quickly and headed to the mountain. She went straight to Daniel's lab. She smelled the coffee before she found the man sitting in front of his computer.

"Oh, hey Sam. Just the woman I wanted to see. SG-14 brought this statue back from 876. I've figured out this panel of text and I think this might house a power source. Would you have time to check it out?"

"You and Janet were in love but you didn't do anything about it." Daniel looked up and sat the statue down on the bench.

"True."

"Why?"

"Cassie was going to graduate soon and Janet wanted to focus on her. We discussed it several times and decided we would wait a year or so. We knew if it was real it would still be there, no matter how long we waited."

"But it wasn't." Sam sat down.

"It's still here." Daniel put his hand on his chest.

"But she's not."

"No, she's not but at least I knew."

"What does that mean?" Sam looked up at Daniel. There were tears in her eyes but they refused to run down her cheeks.

"It means that although losing her was hard, I'm glad were able to tell each other we shared feelings even though we decided to wait before we acted."

"When we brought you back with all those minds in your head she was frantic. She refused to give up on you."

"And she won. She was so amazing." Daniel smiled at the memory. "I remember her yelling at me, or at the mind in control at the time. She sure was full of fire."

"But you didn't see her when you were trapped on the flooding planet when Felger's virus took down the gate system. I found her in the locker room crying. Did you know that?" Daniel shook his head no.

"It brought back memories of when you died in front of her. She hadn't ever really gotten over having to let you go and now she thought she was going to lose you again."

"We first talked after the too many minds in the one head incident. We agreed then to just be friends until after Cassie left for college. Then we planned to take it slow. We had both been burned, in different ways, but the pain was still lingering for both of us. It felt right at the time." Daniel picked up a pen and began switching it from his right to his left hand and back again.

"When I got back after the gate system was fixed, she came over the my apartment. We went further that night then we had planned and I think it scared us both a little. We pulled back and a few days later, once the hormones had ebbed, we talked again. She still wanted to focus on Cassie and I still wanted to focus on our friendship." Sam reached her hand out and put it on Daniel's hands.

"And now that she's gone, do you wish you had done it differently?"

"The only thing I regret is losing her. I would have rather been shot then watch her die or see Cassie lose another mother. I'd have done anything to save her but I'm glad we didn't jump into a relationship neither of us was ready to pursue."

"You would have been great together."

"We were great together." He smiled and Sam nodded. "Have you had breakfast?"

"No."

"I hear there are apple turnovers this morning."

"After you."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 38 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 38

Sticks and Stones Chapter 38

by Kimberly

Summary: Daniel and Teal'c go out with Sam to help her relax.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-06

All you wonderful reviewers really want Jack to be tortured. I really appreciate the reviews and I'm sorry to disappoint on the actual torture aspect. Angst is the main torture device for this story.

Sticks and Stones Chapter 38:

Teal'c, Sam , and Daniel spent the evening going to a movie and then playing games in an arcade. Sam had a great time! Teal'c was amazing. Teenagers lined up around him to watch his Jaffa trained reflexes kick computerized alien butt.

Daniel and Sam dropped Teal'c off at the SGC a little before eleven. Daniel took Sam home.

"I can come in for a while, if you want."

"That's ok. It's late and we both need some sleep. I had fun tonight. Thanks for dragging me out."

"Tomorrow we can keep working on how to torture Jack."

"Sounds like a plan." Sam got out of the car and went inside. Daniel didn't pull away until she was inside and the lights were on. His protective streak made her smile.

As Sam was getting ready for bed her phone rang. She spit out the toothpaste and ran into her bedroom.

"Carter."

"You're at home. You shouldn't be answering the phone like you're at work."

"Sorry, sir. Is there a problem?"

"Yes, can I come over and talk?"

"It's sorta late, sir. Can it wait until tomorrow?"

"I suppose but I'd rather do it now." Sam gave a long pause before answering.

"Ok, come on over."

"I'm outside your front door." Sam turned off the phone and shook her head. She didn't even think about what she was wearing. She went straight to the door.

"Hi." He looked amazing in just simple jeans and t-shirt. She grinned as she realized he looked amazing in everything.

"Come on in, sir." His eyes hadn't left her face. His jaw was tight and his eyes were slightly lidded. She wasn't sure if that meant he was tired or upset. Jack went straight for her living room. Unlike other visits when he sat on her sofa he went for a chair this time. Sam wasn't sure if that was a signal.

"Danny told me you saw me kissing Kathy." Sam's breathing audibly faltered. It wasn't like Jack to come right to the point.

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry I invaded your privacy, sir. I wouldn't have come over if I had realized you were involved."

"Why would my having been involved change your desire to visit?" Sam didn't want to answer the question. "We promised honesty, Sam." She ran her hands through her hair and down to her neck. Suddenly realizing how little covering her halter-top provided, especially bra-less, she crossed her arms over her chest. As her arms moved, she saw him let his eyes wander over her bare shoulders.

"I was coming over to discuss my switching SG teams." His brow furrowed and his eyes shot up.

"Because I was seeing someone else?"

"No, sir. I didn't know you were seeing someone until I arrived and saw you kissing." His head hung as she said the word kissing. He ran his hand over the back of his neck. "I thought if I switched teams we could maybe..."

"Why now? Why were you suddenly willing to make this change?"

"I'd spent so long telling myself we would be free to do what we want some day. Any time now, the fighting was going to end and we would be able to retire or take cushy desk jobs or something. Seeing those super soldiers convinced me it wasn't going to end anytime soon."

"That was it? A few hundred super soldiers and your ready to retire to a lab."

"That wasn't all." Sam rubbed her hands together and brushed her toes through the carpet. "I also had a check up at the academy the week after Felger's virus."

"A check up? Was something wrong?"

"Not exactly. I mean all the tests were fine. I'm the perfect picture of health, I just happen to be old." Jack grinned and looked up at her.

"You are so not old, Carter."

"I don't mean old like retirement home old. I mean old like fertility is almost zero old."

"Oh." Jack looked at her bare feet. He had to look away as he began thinking how sexy her ankles looked when she flexed her feet.

"There was a pamphlet on infertility in the examining room. It went into the effects of age on egg production. It wasn't anything I didn't know but it got me thinking."

"About?"

"I'm closer to the age my mother was when she died then when she had me."

"Ok." Jack wanted to seem compassionate but he didn't know how. The phone rang as he was pondering a better response. Sam got up and grabbed the living room extension. Jack glanced at the clock. It was just after midnight. What idiot would be calling Sam this late? Jack hoped it wasn't an emergency. His pager was clipped to his belt. He checked to be sure that he hadn't missed a call. Sam returned to the sofa carrying the phone.

"No, it's fine. I wasn't in bed yet." Sam forgot to cover her chest with her arms. Jack sucked in a breath as he watched her getting settled on the sofa, tucking one of her legs behind the other and sitting on her foot. She looked small and venerable, very un-Carterlike, sitting like this on her sofa.

"I appreciate that but I'm not ready yet. I promise I will call as the memories begin." She paused, listening to her caller. She avoided making eye contact with Jack.

"I don't know how long it will take. The memories seem to coming back slower now that I have gone back to work. I guess I'm just not spending as much time stressing over getting them back as I was in the beginning."

"I've been cleared for full duty. That's not fair. He wouldn't do anything to risk my life." Jack watched Sam's mouth tightened. He knew the signs of a pissed off Sam and she was building steam.

"You are being irrational and I refuse to discuss this with you. I don't know what has gotten into you tonight but sleep it off. I'll talk to you later." Sam pushed the off button on the phone. Jack glanced up but kept his head down.

"Friend of yours?"

"Pete?"

"Ah, how's he doing."

"He's having a hard time with this."

"Doesn't he realize putting pressure on you isn't going to help?" Sam shrugged. The shrugging motion reminded her of her bra-less state and she recrossed her arms.

"He's just anxious for answers that I can't provide, yet."

"He's not alone." Jack looked up and caught her eye. "Why did you request assignment on the Prometheus and what happened while you were out there?" Sam slowly nodded her head.

"Honestly, huh?"

"Yeah...don't try and spare my feelings. Tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 40 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 40

Sticks and Stones Chapter 40

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam goes out for the day.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-21

We all have colds and my daughter topped it off with an ear infection. Eventually I'll be well enough to get back to some serious writing and my beta will be able to check over my stuff before I post. We'll get it together again soon - I promise! Here is something fun to hold you over until I can get back into the serious angst.

Sticks and Stones Chapter 40

"Morning, Sam." Daniel cheerily walked into Sam's lab carrying a steaming hot cup of coffee.

"Morning." Sam slouched over her laptop on the bench.

"No offense intended Sam, but you look like crap. Are you feeling ok?" Daniel walked over to Sam's bench and leaned against it so he could see her face. Sam rubbed her hand over her eyes.

"I just couldn't get to sleep last night."

"You do know it's the weekend and you don't need to be here, right?"

"And what else do you suggest I do?"

"How about relax and have some fun? I'm pretty sure you could find somebody around here who could teach you the best ways to blow off steam." Daniel grinned at her.

"It's not that simple, Daniel."

"Why isn't it? Why can't you two just go out and have some fun, no strings attached?"

"That just not how it works between us."

"Maybe that should change. See ya' later." Daniel pushed off the bench and walked out of her lab. Sam sat in silence and contemplated for a while. She remembered going to the movies and dancing with Pete but she couldn't recall any times of just fun with Jack. Did that mean they didn't exist or that she didn't remember them? With determination she stood, turned off her computer, and left her lab.

As she pulled into his driveway, she began to feel her strength diminish. She wondered if this was such a great idea. She had wanted to make some memories with Jack that would compare with the ones of Pete. She wanted to know if they could click outside of work, off the battlefield.

She got out of her car and picked up his newspaper. She carried it to the door and knocked, avoiding the bell in case he was still sleeping. She heard him move to the door and she assumed he was looking at her through the peephole. The door opened slowly.

"Morning, Carter. Did you come all this way to deliver today's paper?" Sam looked down at the paper in her hand and smiled. She looked back up at him and grinned wider.

"No, I came to see if you would like to spend the day with me."

"Are you planning to do astrophysics stuff all day, 'cause there are several good games coming on this afternoon?"

"No astrophysics, sir. I was thinking about lunch followed by a movie. It's not an elaborate plan and any ideas you have would be appreciated." Jack just stared at her, unsure of what would have motivated her to be here like this. "Can I come in?"

"Of course. Sorry, sorry, sorry." Jack moved and Sam stepped around him. She went straight to his living room and sat on the sofa. "Give me a few minutes to get cleaned up." Sam nodded as Jack picked up his coffee cup and a plate of crumbs and headed to the kitchen. He went to the back of the house while Sam got up and looked out onto the back deck. It took him fifteen minutes to shower, dress, and reappear in the living room.

"So what made you decide to come over today?" Sam turned and looked at him. His damp hair, unbuttoned shirt, and bare feet made him more appealing then when she had arrived.

"Daniel."

"Not that I'm complaining that you want to hang out but what did Daniel do to spark this?"

"He told me how bad I looked after staying up last night. He suggested I have some fun and he implied you were the best person to be able to get me to relax."

"Well, I'll have to thank Daniel later. So your plan is lunch and a movie, huh?"

"That's all I've come up with so far. Any other ideas?"

"It's a bit early for lunch seeing as it's 0930. Most movie theaters aren't open this early either."

"Ok so maybe I'm a bit rusty on the going out for a day of fun thing. I mostly only did that with Janet and Cassie."

"I doubt Cassie and I have the same idea of what's fun. Let me have that paper for a minute." Jack searched the paper. He tore out a couple of pages and then grinned. "Ready?"

"What are we doing?"

"My surprise. Come on." Jack walked to the door and held it open for her. She waited on the porch until he had locked the door. Sam followed Jack to his truck and climbed in as he held the door open for her. She wasn't surprised to see him acting as such a gentleman; she saw this side of him in small ways often. She was surprised by how much she enjoyed being on the receiving end of his attention.

Jack drove for about twenty minutes to the outskirts of Colorado City. He joined a short line of cars going to the fair grounds. Sam saw the Ferris Wheel and smiled.

"I didn't even realize the fair was in town."

"I heard about it on the news last night. I figured if the gating, flying jets, and riding motorcycles are any indication you like a bit of speed and adrenaline. No better way to feed an adrenaline junkie then taking them on fast amusement park rides constructed in less then a day."

"You make it sound so reckless." She glanced at him from the corner of her eye. "I can't wait." She grinned at him as he rolled down his window to pay the parking attendant. They spent the morning riding the Wheel of Doom, The Horror Express, The Ram's Head, and a Tilt-O-Whirl.

"I had no idea you screamed like a girl, Carter."

"I am a girl and screaming makes it more fun." She nudged him in the chest with her shoulder and he smiled, enjoying the feel of the banter they shared. Lunch consisted of hot dogs, nachos, and sodas.

"Can we ride the Ferris wheel?" Jack looked up at the object of her desire.

"If you're sure it isn't too scary for you."

"Daniel's the one with a thing against heights, not me. I bet we can see the entrance to Cheyenne Mountain from the top."

"You're not supposed to be thinking about work."

"So take me on a Ferris Wheel ride and get my mind back on fun." She smiled at him and wiped a bit of nacho cheese off his lip with her finger. He didn't know what she was doing and his eyes darkened as she pulled her hand away. Both of them felt their heart rates increase.

"To the Ferris Wheel it is." His voice was weak but she heard him and followed. They gave the ride operator their tickets and sat together. Sam smiled. The best part of the morning had been squishing into the rides next to Jack. They had no choice but get close in order to fit. The only thing else she wanted was a bit more knee room. Not even Janet would have been able to stretch her legs on these rides!

As they reached the top of the wheel, Sam pointed out across the vista. Jack put his arm behind her on the back of the seat. When Sam leaned back, she felt his arm. Her head slowly leaned over and she rested on his shoulder. She closed her eyes and rested as they descended. Without warning she was assaulted by memories.

She was sitting beside Jack on a rock. His arm was around her and he was telling her everything was going to be all right. She was injured and in a lot of pain. She was so tired she didn't want to move but Jack reminded her it was a long way back to the gate.

"You were disappointed in me."

"What?"

"You didn't say it but I could tell by the way you were holding me and talking to me. I had disappointed you because..." Jack turned in his seat to get a better look at Sam. Her eyes were wide and moving rapidly. Jack reached up and stroked her face.

"I've never been disappointed in you." Her eyes locked on him.

"That's not true. We were sitting on a rock and you were holding me like now and..." He saw the recognition flash across her face. "I give up. When that super soldier rose up from the dirt I didn't fight. I just sat there like a damsel in distress waiting to be rescued."

"No damsel in distress would have been able to make it out of the alpha site, hide from a super soldier, rewire a rocket and strike back against her pursuer like you did. I was damn proud of you."

"It didn't feel like it." She laid her head back down on his shoulder and looked back out at the view as they made their third and final pass over the top of the Ferris Wheel. The ride slowed and they were left sitting looking out at the mountains.

"You were with Pete. I didn't want to do anything that would have seemed inappropriate. I guess I tried too hard to keep a professional distance and not hard enough to be the friend you needed." Their car began to move again.

"Are you sure you weren't disappointed in me?" She was still looking out at the vista. He held her head and moved her face to look at him.

"I admire you more then I can describe. I worked hard at that moment to not sweep you up in my arms, kiss you, and make you promise to never scare me like that again. I tried so hard I probably did seem aloof."

"Aloof?" She smiled.

"It's not a big word." Theirs eyes locked as the door opened releasing them from the ride. Sam stepped out followed by Jack.

"It's time to go, Carter."

"But we could do the mega slide again, sir."

"Not today. We have another appointment and we don't want to be late." Sam knitted her brow in confusion but let him lead her back to his truck. She buckled her seat belt as he closed her door and went around the truck to his door.

"So where are we headed?"

"It's another surprise."

"You seem full of them today."

"Are you telling me I'm full of it, Carter?"

"I'd never say that, sir." They both smiled as they easily fell back into the comfortable banter they both enjoyed.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 43 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 43

Sticks and Stones Chapter 43

by Kimberly

Summary: This is the end of Jack and Sam's day together.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-03

Sticks and Stones Chapter 43:

The friction associated with the making out wasn't enough to retard the chill creeping into the truck. Reluctantly, Sam and Jack went back to their seats and buckled their seatbelts. Jack drove towards his place.

"Where are we going now?" Sam smiled at Jack.

"The evening isn't over yet, unless you're tired."

"I can keep up with you any day of the week." Jack smiled but kept his eyes on the road. When they got to Jack's house, he shut off the engine and raced around the front of the truck to open the door for Sam. He held her hand as she stepped out of the truck. It had gotten cooler during their drive and Sam shivered. Jack pulled her close.

"Come here." As his arm came around her shoulders, she shuddered again. Jack thought she was still cold and tried to pull her closer and get to the door faster.

"Oh God!" Sam stopped moving and screamed. Jack stopped as she screamed and he grabbed her shoulders.

"You were hit! I saw you go down and you didn't answer me!" Sam was shaking all over and tears were welling up in her eyes. Jack wrapped his arms around her and held her close as the memory battled for released.

She nodded her head indicating she was ready to walk again. Jack quickly got her inside, afraid of what was going to come next. He sat her on the sofa and began working on a fire. Just as the kindling sparked, he heard soft sobs behind him. Her turned and saw she was trying to stifle her sobs with a pillow. He threw a couple logs on the partially started fire and moved back to sit with Sam.

"What else do you remember?" He put his arm behind her and tried to hold her but she shook him off.

"I heard Daniel call for help but I ignored him."

"Why did you ignore his call?" Sam shook her head no and pushed her face into the pillow. "Tell me why you ignored his call."

"I needed to check on you." She let him pull her closer.

"And because you knew Danny called for a medic. Your place was on the front line, making sure the medics could do what they needed to do and keeping the path clear for their return. Even after you checked on me and got me the help I needed, you went back to your job. You're a professional and you acted like it."

"It would have been my last chance to talk to Janet."

"But you don't let your emotions control you when the chips are down. Once I hit the dirt it was up to you to keep that mission going and you knew it. If you'd broken down and put Janet above the team none of us would've made it back. You kept control and pulled all of us out. I'm alive because of you."

"And now?" He nuzzled her hair.

"What about now?"

"Does sitting on your sofa wrapped in your arms and loving every minute of it count as keeping my emotions under control?" Jack took a deep breath and slowly released it. Jack needed time to come up with a truthful answer that wouldn't bring this day crashing down around his feet.

"Probably not, but we're not in the field and you're not on duty. I won't be going out with you any more so you won't be in a position to have to choose between the mission and me. I know this is technically wrong of us, but it feels too damn right to not let it happen." He put his head back into her hair and gently kissed her scalp. His right hand began running through her hair. He felt her relaxing against him.

"But you'll be in a position to choose."

"Yes."

"Can you do that?" She lifted her head and looked into his eyes, knowing she would be able to tell if he lied.

"I hope so. I've sure as hell done it before. I've left Danny behind thinking he was going to die, killed you, and shot Teal'c. I also know you'll call me on it if you think I'm making a bad tactical decision." She saw the truth in his words but she was still worried it was to great a burden to put on any man. They sat on the sofa just holding each other. Sam began to relax as Jack kept rubbing her back and shoulders.

"I've known Janet was dead as long as I have been able to remember her but it seems more real now." Jack didn't have a response so he just kept rubbing her back. The wetness on his chest surprised him. Sam rarely cried. Sam only cried when she felt it was safe to be herself. He knew her tears were a complement as well as a needed release.

Jack could tell Sam was getting tired. He coaxed her up and led her to the bedroom. He took her shoes off and convinced her to take off her jeans and put on a pair of his sweat pants. He found her a toothbrush and left her to get ready for bed. He came back a few minutes later to find her awake but in bed. She smiled at him as he walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"You get some sleep." He leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips.

"Aren't you going to get some sleep?"

"Later. I'm not tired yet and I have a few things I need to finish before work tomorrow." Sam's face fell.

"Oh."

"As much as I want to Sam it isn't time yet. You still have a few more memories to get back before we can be an us." He leaned over and kissed her again. Her arms flew out from under the covers and wrapped around his neck.

"You're wrong. We've been an us for a long time." Sam released her tight grip on his neck but she kept her arms in place. He sat up and moved her arms down. Her hands were still held in his.

"You're probably right but tonight you're tired and I have to finish this damn paperwork before morning."

"I'm sorry I convinced you to waste your day." Sam had an impish grin on her face.

"You know perfectly well that today wasn't a waste. I couldn't have found anything better to do with my day then be with you." Sam sat up and kissed him. It was a deep kiss full of promises that Jack wished he could immediately collect. When he pulled back, both of their faces were slightly red. He ran his fingers over her lips and stood.

"I'll give you a ride back to your place in the morning."

"That's ok. My car's still parked out front and I remember the way." Sam laid back and settled into his bed. She pulled the covers up, breathed in his scent, and smiled.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 45 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 45

Sticks and Stones Chapter 45

by Kimberly

Summary: Sam is still working on getting back those memories.
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-23

Sticks and Stones

Chapter 45:

Walter came looking for Jack but when he saw all three men sitting with Colonel Carter he realized he needed to clear General O'Neill's calendar for the day. Walter quietly put out the word and no one bothered SG-1.

Sam told them of the images placed in her mind and the nightmares brought forth from her own memories thanks to Fifth. Jack flinched and paled repeatedly since many of the images not from her mind were from his. She told them that she told Fifth it hadn't been her choice to leave him. He had used Jack's memories to hurt her because he was sure it had been Jack's decision to leave him. He also knew Sam was still friends with Jack and he hoped knowing some of the things had had suffered and done might change her view.

As she talked, she began to realize that Fifth had employed torture techniques based on what had been done to Jack in numerous situations. The farm had also come from Jack's mind, although since Sam had never told him about it, he hadn't filled in this piece for her until today. His mom's parents had the farm and his dad's parents had the cabin by the lake. He spent his summers going between the two. He had actually had a normal and loving upbringing, not necessarily the norm among his black-ops trained comrades.

As Sam talked, Daniel and Teal'c reintroduced the food brought from the commissary so the quartet snacked through the entire conversation. Jack and Daniel would on occasion reach out and rub Sam's back, leg, or arm to show their support. Teal'c nodded and bowed his head often.

As the afternoon moved towards evening, Sam grew tired and Jack got restless. Daniel offered to see Sam got home and fed. Jack made his way back to his office and Teal'c decided he really needed a large dinner. Sam gave each of the guys a hug and thanked them for taking the whole afternoon off to help her work through her latest memory. Sam was also thankful the guys had let her avoid any discussions of what Fifth had shown her about Pete.

Daniel and Sam stopped and had sandwiches and soup from Pierre's before going to Sam's house. Daniel hung out for about an hour before Sam not so subtly made it clear she wanted to take a long hot bath before going to bed. Daniel kissed her cheek before he walked out the door and reminded her she could call him at any time. He waited out front until he heard the lock click.

Sam took her long hot bath, dressed in her softest pajamas, and sat on her bed. She picked up the handset of her phone and looked at it. She passed it back and forth from hand to hand, as if she was playing hot potato with herself. She took a deep breath and pushed the on button. She got partially through dialing the number and then hung up. The third time she tried, she finished the number and let it ring once. She was moving her thumb to press the off button when she heard his voice.

"Hello?" Sam's throat constricted. "Sam? Is that you?"

"Yeah."

"There for a minute I thought my caller id must be playing games with me. How are you?"

"I'm ok. How are you, Pete?"

"Better now." Sam smiled.

Jack plowed through the backlog of paperwork. It didn't take him long to realize that Walter had separated the mundane from the important pieces. That little guy had turned out to be more important then Jack had ever given him credit for being. He seemed to be the SGC's equivalent of Thor in terms of making Jack's life easier.

Jack looked up at the clock realizing it had gotten late. He reached for his phone and wondered if Sam was still awake. He knew he couldn't say all the things he wanted to say on the SGC phone, but he would still like to say good night. He was worried the memories she now carried would prevent her from sleeping. He hated the thought of causing her distress, even unintentionally.

He dialed her number and got a busy signal. He knew she hadn't gotten any of the fancy features on her phone because she wasn't home enough to justify the cost. He decided to try again later. Jack stood and stretched his sore back muscles. His trip to the coffee maker was interrupted by the common, but still important, announcement that there was an unscheduled off world activation.

Jack went to the control room and waited behind the sergeant working second shift.

"Tokra IDC, sir."

"Open the gate, sergeant." Jack watched as the iris opened. The guards in the gateroom stayed ready to fire, awaiting Jack's order. Jacob stepped through the gate and smiled.

"At ease." Jack let go of the mike as the wormhole disengaged and went down the steps.

"It's good to see you again Jacob."

"I got back last night from a prolonged undercover operation and found you had been leaving me messages with every Tok'ra with whom an SGC person made contact. What's so urgent?"

"It's actually not so urgent anymore, although I doubt you'll agree when you hear the whole story. Come on up to my office." Jack led the way upstairs, stopping to get his coffee.

"Is it Sam?" Jacob sat in the chair across from Jack's desk.

"Yes." Jacob was wringing his hands. "But she's doing fine now. I'm sorry to report you missed the worst of it already."

"What happened?"

"She was stoned by a bunch of primitive asses who like to dominate women. We barely got her out in time. She suffered severe brain trauma which resulted in memory loss."

"How much of her memory was lost?"

"She didn't even know her name when she awoke. It took her a while to regain the control of her right side and learn to speak and read again. She worked hard with her therapists and was cleared for full duty a few weeks ago. You'd never know she'd been injured based on how well she's doing now."

"Thank God."

"The memories are taking longer to resurface. The doctors told us to start with her oldest memories. We couldn't get Mark involved, because we weren't sure when her SGC memories would return and how she would react. Daniel, Teal'c and I sort of winged it to help her get back her childhood memories. There may still be a few missing but maybe seeing you will get those back."

"As she gets these memories back does she end up reliving them?"

"Sometimes and some are worse then others."

"I wasn't here for her when she remembered her mother's death." Jacob looked down at his hands.

"No, but Daniel said she handled it well after the initial shock wore off. She's had a lot of ugly things resurface, and she been a real trooper. You'll be real proud to see how well she's handling this."

"So how much does she remember now?"

"Today she made it to when Fifth captured and tortured her." Jack ran his hands through his hair. "It was a long afternoon and to be honest I felt guilty just letting her go home. It turns out Fifth had taken memories of mine and Teal'c's and used them along with some of her own memories to torture her."

"Based on what I've read in your file, and what the Jaffa have to do every day, I can assume those were graphic and terrifying memories. She dealt with that and never told anyone."

"I think she wanted to prevent us from feeling responsible for her pain."

"That's my girl." Jacob grimaced.

"She could probably use you tonight. I tried calling her a few minutes ago but I got a busy signal. Let me try again." Jack picked up the phone and pushed redial. He got a busy signal again.

"Her car's still in the lot since Daniel gave her ride home. I'll see you back here in the morning."

"Thanks, Jack. For everything, but especially for taking care of her when I couldn't." Jacob gave Jack one of his strong, yet masculine, hugs and left his office so he could change clothes and get over the Sam's.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 46 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 46

Sticks and Stones Chapter 46

by Kimberly

Summary: Jacob tries to figure out how Sam is really doing.
Category: Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-29

Sticks and Stones

Chapter 46:

The knock on her door surprised Sam. It was either very late or early, depending on your point of view and not an ideal time for visitors. She figured it was probably Jack, needing to be sure she was all right. She got up, continuing her conversation with Pete, and went to the door. She looked out the peephole and smiled.

"Pete, I gotta go. My Dad just got here." Sam opened the door as she said goodnight to Pete. As soon as her father stepped into the house, they grabbed each other in a fierce hug.

"I've missed you kiddo. I'm sorry it's been so long. I was on one of those extended undercover vacations."

"I understand Dad. I'm glad you're here."

"Jack tried to call and let you know I was coming but the phone was busy." Sam stepped back and let her Dad into the hall so she could close the door.

"Yeah, sorry. I had a lot of catching up to do and I guess the time got away from me."

"Jack told me about your head injury and the memory loss. He said you're doing really well." Sam and her Dad settled on her sofa. She pulled her feet under her and leaned into his embrace.

"Better every day." Sam smiled and Jacob sighed.

"But there's still more to do?"

"Yeah, but I'm getting there."

"How about we both get some sleep and then we spend the next few days together, just the two of us."

"I'd love to Dad but SG-1 is on the rotation to go out in two days and I still need to prep for the mission."

"I'll talk to Jack. I'm sure your mission can wait while we catch up." Sam wanted to spend time with her dad, but she was also anxious to get back through the gate. Each time she broke down, like today at lunch, it made her feel less capable of getting back to be her old self.

"How about if you come with us?"

"You mean go on a mission with you?"

"Yeah, we're looking at going to a nice calm populated planet where we can get back to doing some real first contact type stuff. I'm sure General O'Neill would approve."

"Do I have to sleep in a tent?"

"Yes." Sam smiled. She knew how much her father hated camping. "You even get to eat the MREs."

"Oh, lucky me. I guess it's better then sitting around here while you go off without me." Jacob hugged Sam and stood up. "But for now, I'm exhausted and you should have been asleep hours ago." He held his hand out to help Sam off the sofa and they made their way to bed.

The next morning Sam and Jacob had breakfast in the commissary. Jacob watched every sip of coffee Sam took with envy.

"I forgot you were staying off the coffee for Selmac?"

"Yeah, what made you remember that?"

"You're looking at my coffee cup like I look at a Hershey's bar after three weeks off world."

"Oh, sorry." Jacob grinned, probably having an internal conversation with Selmac explaining Sam's love of chocolate. Daniel and Teal'c joined them. Daniel sat right beside Jacob, increasing Jacobs coffee envy.

"Jacob, is there something wrong?"

"Huh?"

"You keep sniffing my coffee." Sam busted out laughing. She was almost in tears by the time Jack showed up, bringing another cup of coffee.

"Carter, you ok?" Sam was trying to get her breath back and couldn't speak so she just nodded yes while Jacob glared at her. Daniel looked confused and Teal'c just kept eating. Jack slid in beside Carter and began eating, while glancing towards her as she recovered.

"I have a favor to ask, sir."

"Go ahead Carter."

"I was wondering if Dad could go with SG-1 on our next mission." Jack looked up at Jacob who was leaning towards Daniel's coffee cup and inhaling.

"Really?"

"Yes." Jack glanced at Daniel and Teal'c who both subtly indicated it was fine with them. Sam was glad she had mentioned it to both of them before breakfast.

"I don't see any reason to say no as long as Jacob agrees that he's under your command for this mission." Jack looked over at Jacob who was trying to act as if he hadn't been sniffing Daniel's coffee.

"Absolutely Jack. It's not like Sam hasn't been the one in control since she was a little girl." Sam snorted and looked shocked. The rest of the men chuckled.

"I don't know how you managed it every day Jacob. Raising a kid so much smarter then you has to be tough."

"Let me tell you it was one...what?" Jacob's eyes widened as what Jack said registered in his head. Everyone at the table, except Jacob, began laughing, even Teal'c. Jacob just nodded.

"I'll remember that Jack."

Jacob, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c looked over the two remaining first contact planets and went with the one that had a milder climate and slightly less advanced populace, more fun for Daniel. They prepared a briefing for the next morning and went out for dinner. Sam loved having her dad around. He told too many stories about her childhood at dinner but for once, she didn't interrupt him. Many of the stories felt new to her and they were helping her recall more of her childhood. Teal'c and Daniel even joined in by telling some of the happier moments from their respective pasts. Near the end of dinner Sam even remembered a story about Jacob her grandmother had told her when she was a child.

"There's one person at this table who hasn't told any stories about himself as a child." Daniel and Teal'c smirked as Jacob's eyes widened. "I remember grandmother telling me about you climbing out on a roof once when you were a child." Jacob blushed slightly.

"If I remember correctly you had taken her sewing scissors and given yourself a haircut. You wanted a buzz cut like your dad but she hadn't let you get it because it was winter. You took her scissors and gave yourself a four year old version of a military cut." Daniel snickered. Jacob looked down at his empty plate and grinned.

"When she found out what you'd done you ran off, scissors in hand, trying to get away. You climbed out of your window onto the roof over the porch and refused to come back into the house. If I remember correctly you were in your pajamas and it was snowing."

"Sounds about right." Jacob shook his head.

"Grandmother had to call Granddad to come home and get you back in because you refused to budge. You got your buzz cut and a spanking that night." Daniel was laughing and Teal'c smirked.

"At least we know where you get your stubborn streak, Carter." Sam and Jacob turned around to see Jack standing behind them.

"Sorry I missed dinner. There was a bit of a situation I had to resolve first. Everything's fine now. Is there still time for me to get a drink and maybe hear a few 'Carter as a kid' stories?"

"Drinks, yes. Stories no, sir."

"Ah, Carter. You really know how to disappoint a man." Jack grinned as he pulled an empty chair up to the table and beside Sam. Jack looked around the table and noticed everyone was drinking lemonade, soda, or water. His old team knew better then to drink the night before a mission. Of course, those rules no longer applied to him so he ordered a beer.

Sam glowed surrounded by her men. Jack loved seeing her so happy. She felt him squeeze her knee under the table. She looked at him and they shared a smile. A smile Jacob noticed but chose to not mention.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 47-50 by Kimberly
Sticks and Stones Chapter 47-50

Sticks and Stones Chapter 47-50

by Kimberly

Summary: This is the end you have been requesting!
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-02-07

Sticks and Stones Chapter 47:

"SG-1 and Dad, you have a go." Jacob smirked up at Jack. Sam grinned and shook her head. Teal'c raised an eyebrow and Daniel snickered.

They arrived to find the planet just as the MALP had shown them, sunny with a forest of tall pine trees in front of them. There was a well-used path leading into the forest. Sam let the SGC know they had successfully made it through and set the MALP so it could be used to send messages back to the SGC later.

Sam took point. Teal'c brought up the rear. Daniel pestered Jacob as they made their way towards smoke, indicating a village. Jacob had never been so happy to see a village! Daniel did his 'we are friendly explores' bit and it wasn't long before they were all sitting in a hut admiring the fine cloth made by the natives.

Night fell a few hours after SG-1 arrived, so after a meal with the rulers they quickly set up camp, just outside the village. Jacob and Sam decided to share the first two watches and Daniel would take the last watch, so he could make coffee.

"So...Sam."

"Dad."

"How about you tell me about the last mission you remember?"

"I guess the guys have enlisted you into the gang."

"Gang?"

"The help Carter remember everything gang."

"Yeah, they gave me a bit of coaching on how to get your memories flowing freer."

"Off-world isn't really the best place for me to be exploring my memories."

"Why not?"

"Some of them are tough and I can't be reliving nightmares while trying to keep watch."

"Touch."

"I can now remember Jack becoming a General and taking over command of the SGC. It's too bad you weren't here. He could have used some extra torture." Sam smiled.

"Not a smooth beginning?"

"Hardly. General Hammond planted a mole to watch him. As he was getting ready for the President to visit, everything sort of crumbled around him. Teal'c, Daniel, and I missed most of it, while we were sitting in one of Anubis' secret abandoned bases, but Walter tells great stories."

"Like?"

"Apparently one of the teams brought back these super growing plants that the science teams thought might cure world hunger. They got a bit excited and skipped a few protocols we normally use with alien life-forms, and the plants began to take over the base." Jacob chuckled.

"Walter says Jack actually suggested using the things to make salads and cutting the commissary budget to make-up for the cost of the propane they were using to try and retard the plants growth."

"That sounds like Jack alright. Out of curiosity, when exactly did he become 'Jack' to you?" Sam blushed and looked away from her father. She was pretending to be checking the perimeter but he knew better.

"Sam?"

"We've been talking lately."

"Talking?"

"Things were different while I was recuperating. In the beginning, I didn't remember who I was let alone who he was or our respective positions. Heck, until a few days ago I didn't even really remember my last promotion or his."

"I see."

"Do you really?"

"Yes, Sam I do. This isn't new, you know."

"What do you mean?"

"There've been hints of feelings between you and Jack as long as I've known you both. I hated the way you looked at him when I first met him in Washington. I thought he'd taken advantage of a young naive female officer when I saw the way you looked at each other. George reassured me that neither of you would consider such a move. It was a while before I began to see what George meant." Sam's face had turned bright red.

"You really thought I could so easily fall for my CO and do something to jeopardize my career?"

"I kept thinking about how far things went with Jonas before you wised up."

"That was different. He wasn't my CO."

"I know, but he pulled the wool over your eyes for months. I was worried you hadn't learned your lesson and was falling for the same type of guy."

"Jack's not a lunatic." Jacob gave Sam a 'are you sure' look. "He's different but not crazy, at least not like Jonas."

"I guess different is a safe way to describe it. That still doesn't tell me how you feel about him now."

"I care about him...a lot."

"Do you love him?" Sam looked up at the stars.

"If I do, you aren't going to be the first person I tell." Jacob was shocked for a moment before he realized she meant Jack.

"Understood." Jacob put his hand on Sam's. He smiled as she curled her fingers with his.

"How about some more stories about Mom and Mark. I honestly don't remember as much about them as I'd like."

-*-

"SG-1, it's good to see you back unharmed and on time. Debrief in one hour." SG-1 nodded and made their way to the infirmary and showers as usual. Jacob separated from the team and went up to Jack's office.

"Come in." Jack was surprised to see Jacob.

"Can I have a minute?" Jack stood up and motioned towards a chair.

"Of course. What's up?"

"Sam and I had a chance to talk while we were away."

"Good. I hoped a little bonding might occur while you were off-world."

"She's torn Jack. I'm worried she's in a very vulnerable position right now."

"I know Jacob."

"Give her the space she needs to make her own decisions, even if they're different then the ones she made in the past."

"I'm trying but it's...hard."

"I know, but she needs to do this on her own. She needs to take ownership of her decisions and her future while discovering her past."

"Do you think I've done something that's making this more difficult?"

"No, based on what she said you seem to be doing fine. I just thought it couldn't hurt to remind you of what's on the line."

"I remember every day. Every time I see her I know what's on the line." Jacob stood.

"Now that I've had my say I'd better get to the infirmary and shower before my daughter figures out I'm interfering."

"Thanks Jacob. I think." Jack watched Jacob leave and sighed. He could only hope being patient would continue to pay off.

Chapter 48:

Jacob spent two days with Sam before he was recalled by the Tok'ra. They'd eaten at all of Jacob's favorite restaurants, so Sam decided she needed to go out for a run or risk gaining too much weight. She was running through the park when she felt someone run up behind her. The military commander in her kicked in and she prepared herself for a fight.

"Hey, beautiful. Come here often?" Sam relaxed slightly at the sound of his voice.

"Whenever I'm in town." She glanced over at Pete as he caught up with her.

"In town, huh?" He grinned back. "I went to your house but there was no answer. Since your car was out front, I figured you were out here. I drove around and parked back there."

"I wanna finish this run. Meet me back at my place." He nodded. "I won't be long."

"See ya' soon." Pete slowed and turned back towards his car, smiling as he walked. Sam made it back to her place, took off her tennis shoes at the door, and found Pete in her kitchen. He poured her a glass of cold water and watched her drink.

"Let me get a quick shower and then we can talk." She put the glass on the counter.

"A shower?" Pete stepped closer. Sam put up a hand.

"Slow down, cowboy. I'll be back soon." Pete grinned and shrugged his shoulders.

"I'll be waiting." Sam left him in the kitchen. She stripped off her wet t-shirt, sports bra, shorts, panties and socks. She got into the hot shower and lathered shampoo in her hair. Memories of being with Pete assaulted her as she bathed. They went to the movies, danced, had diner out, got passionate against the wall in the living room, in her bed, in her kitchen, and on the sofa. She grinned, apparently no place in her house was safe.

She got out of the shower and toweled off. She went into her bedroom and picked out a pair of jeans and a sweater.

"How much longer must a man wait?"

"Until the woman is done, if he's smart." Sam shook her head and grinned. She brushed her hair and checked her reflection in the mirror. She glanced down at her jewelry box and then her left hand. She opened the box and looked at the ring that had been mocking her for months. She picked it up and placed it in her pocket. She walked out into the living room.

"How about lunch out and then a stroll through the park?"

"That sounds nice." Sam got her wallet and keys. She opened the front door and let him leave. They walked across the park to a nearby deli. She had pastrami and he had roast beef.

"I've missed you Sam. We had plans and all of a sudden they disappeared."

"I know. It wasn't fair to you and I'm sorry."

"How much of us do you remember now?"

"Dates and such. Did you ask me to marry you in the park?"

"Yeah, we were surrounded by kids playing. I thought that was perfect since we both wanted to try to have kids as soon as possible." Sam smiled. She still felt a desire to have children.

"I didn't say yes, did I?" Sam frowned. She looked up at him and saw the sorrow and disappointment cross his face.

"Not immediately. It was a big step and I understood you needed time. You told me yes later, in a warehouse after a firefight to free Daniel."

"Doesn't sound real romantic?"

"The ambiance was less important than the message." He reached out and held her hand. He paid for lunch, stood, and put out his elbow. She put her hand on his arm and he escorted her out of the deli back into the park.

"I hope one day soon you'll be ready to wear our engagement ring again. I still love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you." Pete placed his left hand over Sam's as she held onto his right arm. They looked like the perfect couple walking through the park. She stopped and pulled him towards a bench. He sat down as she reached into her pocket and pulled out the ring. She ran her fingers over the ring as she sat down.

She heard him gasp slightly as she ran her fingers over the ring. She stared at it and then his face. He schooled his face quickly but not before she saw the anger flit across his features. She looked intensely at the ring.

"This isn't the ring you gave me is it?" Pete's eyes widened.

"Don't be silly. How many engagement rings do you think you have?" He grinned, trying to pretend to be calm. Sam looked around the park. Her muscles stiffened.

"I broke up with you...over there on the swings." Sam's turned accusing eyes towards Pete.

"You're remembering this wrong. We were perfect together." Sam stood.

"So who gave me this ring?" Pete stood beside her.

"Don't do this Samantha. We're right for each other. I've been waiting for you to remember for so long." He reached out and put his hands on her shoulders. "We're meant to be." He tried to pull her close and kiss her but she back away and pulled out of his grasp.

"You were using my injury to try and get me back. You knew I ended it but you thought I might not remember." There was fury in her eyes.

"Do you remember why you ended it?"

"No." Sam's voice was soft but firm.

"Then there isn't any reason why we can't pick up where you remember and try again. We were happy and we can be now if you'll just let us."

"It's not that easy and you know it. I will remember." Sam took three steps back. "I'm sorry it didn't work out back then. We can't change that."

"We can." Pete took one step towards Sam.

"No. Go before I get home." Sam turned and walked away. Sam walked around the park, giving Pete a chance to get his car and leave. When she got home, she knew what she needed to do. She got her keys and headed straight for Daniels.

She pounded on his door without interruption. She heard him yell but she didn't stop knocking. He jerked the door open, ready to yell at the offending knocker but stopped short when he saw her face.

"Come in, Sam." Sam pushed past him.

"What have you been hiding from me?" Daniel walked into his living room and watched her pace.

"What are you talking about?" Sam pulled the ring out of her pocket.

"This isn't the ring Pete gave me. Who gave me this ring?" Sam was screaming hysterically. Daniel flinched at the intensity of her words.

"You know I can't tell you that. It'll come to you." Sam seethed.

"Was I supposed to sleep with Pete again while all of you waited for me to remember I broke it off with him?" Daniel's mouth flew open and his eyes widened.

"Did you?" Sam stared at him as her anger boiled over.

"No." Daniel released a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding.

"We have faith in you Sam. We knew you'd work it out." Sam sat on his sofa and tears began to flow from her eyes.

"But that's just it. I haven't figured out a damn thing! I almost let Pete join in me in the shower only to remember a few hours later that this isn't the ring he gave me and I broke it off with him." Sam was openly weeping and it was making Daniel nervous. He sat close to her and put his arm around her.

"Am I in love Daniel?" His grip on her shoulder tightened.

"Yes."

"Is it someone I know now or do I still have to remember him?"

"Sam..." Sam's head flew up and her eyes pierced Daniel's soul.

"Don't screw with me Daniel!"

"You know him well." Sam looked back down at the ring and stood. She moved to the door and gripped the handle.

"Where are you going?"

"Home."

"What are you going to do?" Daniel walked up behind her but he refrained from reaching out to her.

"Remember." Sam opened the door and walked out. Daniel watched her get in the car and leave. He went into the kitchen and picked up his phone. It rang twice before it was picked up.

"Hello."

"He tried to get to her again but she remembered before they went too far. She knows the ring isn't from Pete. She's pissed because I won't tell her who gave it to her."

"Where is she now?"

"She went home, determined to remember how she got that ring."

"Thanks for letting me know."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know." Daniel heard the click that indicated the other person had hung up. He sighed and pushed the off button on the phone. His afternoon was ruined now. He was going to spend the rest of the day worrying about both of them.

Chapter 49:

Sam paced around her living room. Her fingers felt raw from rubbing the damn ring that was slowly driving her mad. It had to be from Jack, right. Who else would have given her a ring? He had taken such good care of her since she was injured. He'd been there through it all. So had Daniel and Teal'c she reasoned. Was he just a teammate or had they finally given in and become more?

She put the ring back in her jewelry box and changed into sweats. She laced up her tennis shoes and closed the door behind her as she left. She had to run off this frustration and think about her past. Instead of returning to the park she ran on the sidewalks that snaked through the suburbs. She ran further then she had ever explored and soon found herself in unfamiliar territory. She wasn't scared, just annoyed that she now had so far to go in order to get home.

Pete watched from the park as she returned in her car and then left on foot. Pete watched as he knocked on her door and didn't get an answer. Pete watched as he dialed his phone and heard the unanswered ring from inside her house. Pete watched as he paced outside and finally gave up. Pete smiled. Pete knew he had more patience and was therefore more deserving.

Sam went straight to her bedroom and dumped all of the nasty sweats into the dirty clothes hamper. She took a quick shower and then filled the tub with hot steaming water. She soaked in the tub and closed her eyes. She remembered the replicator version of herself and shuttered. Jack and Teal'c had tried hard to convince her it hadn't been her fault but she lay there knowing they were wrong. She'd been acting with her heart and not her brain and she lost, they all lost.

Jack had come back to her repeatedly, telling her it wasn't her fault, trying to convince her that she didn't have that evil within her. She hadn't believed him and he knew it. She remembered the pain in his eyes as he watched her tearing herself up over her actions, or failure to act. She shook her head and tried to find other memories.

She went to his house, to talk to him. She wanted to push him. She needed to know how he really felt before she went through with her plans to marry Pete. She wasn't ready to give up on him if they still had any chance. She stumbled through her words, as she had done on numerous other occasions until Kerry appeared.

Sam's eyes flew open. Kerry Johnson, she's a member of the SGC Professional Oversight committee. Sam knew instantly that Kerry and Jack were an item. Her heart sank as she realized she'd never gone further with her planned conversation. She'd backed away and left Jack and Kerry together. He was taken. He wasn't free to be with her.

Sam got out of the bath and mechanically dried off and dressed. She wasn't hungry and decided to just go to bed. Her mind refused to go past the fact that Jack had moved on. Logically she knew she was being ridiculous. She went after Pete long before there was a Kerry but her heart refused to accept the logic of that argument. She climbed into bed and turned off the lights. She pulled the comforter up to her chin and let herself cry until the tears wouldn't come any longer. Her nose was stuffy but she didn't care. She felt lost and she wanted to wallow in it for a while.

Pete watched as the light in her house went out. He thought he would give her some time before he went back to try one more time. He was about to move towards her house when his truck pulled up again. This time he didn't knock. He pulled out his keys and entered her dark house. He turned on a hall light and closed the door. Pete knew in that moment that he'd lost. He powered up the car and slowly pulled away, wishing Sam well as the last pieces of his heart shattered.

He stepped inside and turned on a light. Her tennis shoes were near the door. He moved into her quiet house. Everything was incredibly neat, as usual. He walked down the hall towards her bedroom. He could feel and smell the steam from the bath. He sighed. That meant she either had recently been here or was here now. He moved to the door of the bedroom and saw the bulge under the covers. He silently walked across the room and stood beside the bed.

"I've been looking for you." She didn't flinch or move at all when he spoke. She'd heard him enter the house and had known from his footfalls who it was and where he was headed. He wasn't as quiet as he believed but she wasn't going to tell him.

"It's kinda early for bed, isn't it?"

"I'm tired."

"Oh. Too tired to talk?" Sam lay still. He could feel the wheels in her brain revolving.

"I'll be in the living room in a minute."

"I'll make us some tea." Sam waited until he left the bedroom. She sat up and moved over to the jewelry box. She opened it and looked at the ring. She didn't have any pockets in her pajama pants. She put on a thin robe and placed the ring in the robe pocket. She tied the robe closed and went out to the living room. He was sitting on the sofa and there were two steaming mugs on the table. His eyes roamed from her tousled hair down to her sock covered feet. He smiled and motioned her to sit beside him. Against her better judgment, she accepted his offer. He handed her the mug of steaming green tea.

"Daniel's worried about you. I'm sorry I just let myself in but I came by earlier to check on you but there wasn't an answer."

"I went for a run."

"Did it help?"

"I guess."

"You've remembered something new." It was both a statement and a question.

"How's Kerry?"

"Fine, I guess. She went back to Washington a while ago."

"Does she visit often?"

"No." He reached out and lightly put a hand on her leg. "It's over between her and I." Sam glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. He was intensely starring at her.

"Why?"

"She knew my heart wasn't hers." Sam felt her heart thump a little faster and a little louder.

"Whose is it?" Jack scooted close to her. He put his mug down and took hers from her hand. He placed her mug on the table beside his.

"Yours." He reached up and turned her head so she was facing him. "It took us too long, but we finally made it Sam. I'm yours and your mine." Her eyes filled with tears.

"I don't understand. How?"

"As soon as the President was reelected I requested that SG-1 be placed under General Hammonds supervision. All of your missions are approved by him. He does your yearly reviews. He's retiring soon and I'll be taking over his position. You'll have a new commander and there won't be any chain of command problems soon. Until then we are an exception." Sam's stared at Jack as he scooted even closer.

"You had no idea any of this was happening at the time. Kerry left me when she realized I couldn't commit to her. You left Pete for similar reasons, although you never went into much detail with me about it." Jack shrugged. "We went slowly after the changes began. I think we were scared somebody would change the rules back." Jack's hand caressed her face. His thumb traced her lips. Her eyes closed.

"You finally asked me out." Her eyes opened and she smiled.

"I asked you out?" Her eyes twinkled as she spoke.

"Would you believe I'm shy?"

"Not for a moment." She shook her head as he leaned towards her. Her eyes closed as his lips grazed hers. Her hands moved up to his shoulders. He pulled back and watched her face as she opened her eyes. She reached into her robe pocket.

"Did you give this to me?" Jack stared at the ring. He reached out and ran his forefinger across the beautiful diamond surrounded by sapphires.

"Yes."

"Did I say yes?" Jack looked into her eyes and kept his hand on hers.

"Yes. The wedding was scheduled for two months ago." His eyes saddened and his jaw tightened.

"We missed our wedding." Sam's face fell. She reached out and touched his leg.

"A small price to pay to get you back whole. The doctors made it clear if we pushed you everything might get scrambled. I wanted to have you back. I needed you." He put his arms out and she sank into his embrace.

"I still don't remember our relationship."

"But you will. Until then, we can start over." His head dropped and nuzzled her neck. She breathed deeply as she was assaulted with memories of the things he'd done to her neck with that mouth. He felt her tense and pulled back to look at her face. He was worried until he saw a familiar grin.

"Some things are coming back to me." His responding grin was feral and possessive. His hands roamed across her back. She looked back down at the ring. "Would you mind if I put this back on?"

"I'd be thrilled. Let me help." He took the ring from her and slipped it onto her left ring finger. He kissed her hand and looked at the ring; glad to see it back where it belonged.

"I love you, Sam."

"I love you too, Jack. I have for a long time. I'm glad I can finally act like it."

Chapter 50: The epilogue

Sam looked at her reflection in the mirror. It was almost unbelievable. Her dress was an off the shoulder floor length light blue silk gown, an atypical dress for an atypical wedding. Sam knew it was perfect.

"Ready, honey?" Sam looked at her father as he entered the room.

"Absolutely." Sam's smile went from ear to ear. Jacob held out his arm and they stepped into the vestibule of the academy chapel. The doors opened and Sam got her first look at Jack standing up front in his dress uniform. They didn't have any attendants so her view of her husband-to-be wasn't obscured.

Everyone stood as the music began. Jack couldn't take his eyes off her as she glided up the aisle. It amazed him that a woman who was such a superb soldier could also be so feminine. His heart was pounding and he had to remind himself to breathe.

Jacob held out her hand and symbolically gave Sam to Jack. Selmac chose that moment to protest on Samantha's behalf for having to participate in such a sexist act. Jacob silently told her to shut up and enjoy the moment. Jack and Sam faced the academy minister. The ceremony happened quickly. The only thing either of them remembered later was seeing the other's eyes and kissing before turning towards the small gathering.

Sam and Jack picked a weekend when the cadets were being sent home to have the wedding. That made it easier for the President and a few select aliens to attend. Since Mark and his family didn't have clearance, the more alien-looking aliens, like Thor, were restricted to the balcony and the SGC. Mark and his family headed home after a short reception at the academy. The main reception was at the SGC, where Sam and Jack soon headed.

There was dancing, hugging, best wishes, and many laughs at the reception. Sam and Jack enjoyed every minute but they were also happy when it was time to leave for their honeymoon, a week in a deserted castle on a deserted but safe planet. Daniel and Teal'c had spent two weeks sprucing the place up and adding a few security measures, provided by Thor, so Sam and Jack would be forewarned if the planets deserted status suddenly changed.

Sam and Jack changed into less restrictive clothes for the trip through the gate. Jack wore khaki pants with a black button down shirt and boots. Sam wore a sundress with sandals.

"If we meet resistance when we step through the gate will you be able to fight in that?" Jack appreciated the look of her dress but questioned it's appropriateness.

"I'm not wearing BDU's on my honeymoon and neither are you." Sam had picked out Jack's clothes even though he swore he'd be perfectly comfortable in his BDU's.

"I'm just saying..." Jack trailed off as Sam moved closer.

"You'll be amazed what I can do in this dress." Sam grinned and Jack swallowed.

"Are you ready?" Jack wanted to grab her and get to that darn castle now!

"Almost." Sam bent over her bag. Jack could have sworn she gave her rear a bit of a shake. He audibly groaned and she chuckled. "Problem?"

"There will be if we don't get out of here soon." He ran his hands through his hair. Sam decided to stop teasing him. She stood up and handed him her bag.

"Let's go flyboy." They smiled and headed out of the locker room towards the gate. Airmen stationed along the way radioed ahead. When they entered the gateroom it was lined by saluting airmen and the gate was already opened. They walked past the people and up the gate. The last two people they passed were Daniel and Teal'c. Sam hugged Daniel and Teal'c. Jack slapped each of them on the back and thanked them again. They both turned to look back up at General Hammond in the control room and saluted. As they turned back to the gate Jack picked Sam up.

"Jack!" Sam didn't have a chance to say anything else as Jack stepped through the gate. The spectators erupted into laughter, at both the look on her face and his antics. Jack kissed her and put her down as soon as they got to the other side.

"Did you think this would be more helpful then my dress if there were hostiles on this side?" Sam's arm slid around his shoulder and neck.

"General Hammond sent a team to do one last check a few minutes before we left. I felt overly confident." Sam's other hand wandered over his chest and unbuttoned the top button.

"Still feeling overly confident?" He captured her lips in a deep searing kiss.

"Yes." He carried her to their honeymoon chambers.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=611