Little Angel by LE McMurray
Summary: Daniel's had a little accident. Little not being the word Jack would use exactly.
Categories: Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson Characters: Daniel Jackson, Jack O'Neill
Episode Related: None
Genres: POV, Smarm
Holiday: None
Season: Season 3
Warnings: None
Crossovers: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 9170 Read: 8566 Published: 2007.11.17 Updated: 2008.06.01

1. Little Angel by LE McMurray

2. Abydos And Shopping by LE McMurray

3. Settling In by LE McMurray

4. Zoos And Barbecues And Dogs, Oh My by LE McMurray

5. A Day At The Park by LE McMurray

Little Angel by LE McMurray
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Hopefully this will have sequels but until then enjoy.
I was sitting, trying to finish off the report Hammond wanted when smack, a well-aimed chocolate chip cookie hit off my shoulder.

“Daniel,” I growled, “Knock it off.”

Two minutes later, another cookie landed onto the file I was using. I turned to find the little cherub, sitting cross-legged on the floor, the picture of absolute innocence with a book open in his lap, looking for all the world as though he was engrossed in it.

“Something wrong, Jack?” he looked up at me with innocent blue eyes.

“Just quit it, squirt,” I told him, turning back to my report.

“Are you not finished yet?” came the sigh, “I’m bored.”

“Couple of minutes, Daniel I promise,” I said, unable not to smile; it had been an interesting few days.

-

I should start at the beginning of how Dr Daniel Jackson had become the pint-sized terror who was driving me even faster down that slow descent into madness.

We were on P4R T11, watching some sort of games/ritual involving extremely pointy sticks being thrown about, one of the contestants’ aim was off and the javelin he was throwing headed straight towards the VIP area. Basically, Daniel saved the life of the Chieftain of the village we were visiting, getting pretty much skewered in the process. Luckily, the people had a nifty Asgard device that saved his life by miniaturizing him but also alerted Thor who came to help.

The device turned Daniel back into a five year old, with all his memories and after six months Thor will use the device again so he’ll become ten then after another three months twenty then and I’m not sure how this’ll work but final treatment and we get a thirty year old Daniel Jackson back.

Now, you think that he’d be pissed, suddenly dependent on people again and no longer being an adult but not Daniel. No, he’s decided to embrace this second childhood and has, in less than a week, become the bane of my existence.

Okay, maybe a little harsh but he’s driving me nuts.

-

Daniel always had this sweetness thing going on that had all the female members of the SGC wanting to take care of him. However now, with the long bright blond hair, big crystal blue eyes and angelic innocence he projects, everyone and I mean absolutely everyone, including Hammond, Teal’c and the scary nurse whose name I can never remember, is wrapped around his little finger and he knows it.

“Can we go?” the pint sized pain in my ass cried again.

“A minute,” I replied, greeted with another groan.

“Jack,” he whined, “I’m bored.”

Now Daniel, at normal size if he was bored, could be annoying but you could usually distract him with some strange language or one of his rocks. Mini-Daniel has the attention span of a gnat, and think of who’s saying this. I know I get bored easily but the little guy needs something new to distract him about every five minutes.

“I’m finished,” I told him, closing the file and seeing a ‘finally’ look cross his face.

Daniel walked over and lifted his arms up.

“You can walk, Daniel,” I reminded him.

“Jack, your legs are twice as tall as me,” he rolled his eyes at me, “If you want to get where we’re going today, pick me up.”

I muttered under my breath, feeling sorry for his parents, knowing that the only reason he survived those years was because he does look like an angel.

-

When we first found out what happened to Daniel, I could see Carter looking at me as though I was going to explode or something. It took me a few minutes to realise what she was so worried about but other than the hairstyle, Daniel and Charlie were nothing alike.

For one thing, where Daniel looks angelic no matter what, Charlie had this laugh and look where I swear the horns and tail were just waiting for me to turn my back before they appeared.

I, of course, mentioned this to Sara who whacked me over the head before starting to laugh as he gave her the look too. When we told my Mom, she started to laugh and turned to Sara.

“At least we know he’s the father,” she said, sending them both into fits of giggles.

Anyway, back to my original topic, once this had happened and Daniel listened to Thor explain everything, which took some time as Daniel kept getting distracted, the little archaeologist turned to me.

“So, you have to learn to cook rather than get takeout.”

“What?” I demanded a little confused.

Daniel rolled his eyes at me, “You don’t think I can stay alone now I’m this tall? And there is no way I’m living on the base for a year, ergo I’m staying with you.”

And that was it; absolutely no choice was given to me because Daniel had spoken. Not that I didn’t try to argue but Daniel had already got to Carter and Teal’c, who ganged up on me, then adding in Hammond and Janet meant I was now official Guardian to the miniature version of my best friend.

*********************************************

It was now a normal sight to see me walking through the base with the ‘cherub’ being carried by me. Daniel of course, doesn’t even notice anything as he chatters away excitedly.

Hammond’s idea, to make sure I didn’t kill the little one, was that we take him to Abydos and let Kasuf have some fun. I took this as a great idea and Daniel was absolutely ecstatic, he was looking forward to spending time in the sand and sun with his family.

I was looking forward to seeing what he was like in that situation, I always think of Daniel and sand together. Not to mention, I can’t wait to see Kasuf deal with the mini-archaeologist from hell.

-

About fifteen minutes later, we were all standing in the Gateroom waiting for the Gate to dial to Abydos. Daniel, looking cute as hell, in his mini-BDU’s was bouncing next to me, obviously excited to be going back to his home. Personally, I couldn’t wait to see how Kasuf was going to react. We’d warned him, because Hammond thought it’d just be cruel to dump this on him.

Damn General, ruining my fun.

“Daniel,” I turned to him and offered him my hand.

He rolled his eyes, “I’ve done this before.”

“Not since you were miniaturised,” I replied, “Now, take my hand or Teal’c carries you. Upside down.”

He glared at me, which just makes me want to reach out and pat him on the head, but he took my hand. I saw Carter smile slightly at the sight before she followed Teal’c up the ramp when he took the lead. I walked slowly so that Daniel’s little legs could keep up with me and together we headed back to the sandy planet Daniel called home.

-

Kasuf’s face was…well let’s just say I am so grateful Carter had the presence of mind to snap a picture because that one is getting framed.

“Hi,” Daniel said nervously to his father-in-law.

Kasuf, once he got over the shock, reached out to the miniature version of Daniel and enfolded him in his arms. I was shocked by the look of contentment that crossed the little guy’s face; I forget how little Daniel touches people when I’m around him because I’m allowed in his personal space. Kasuf is obviously one of the few people who Daniel allows to touch him.

“Come,” Kasuf motioned us all, “Join us for our evening meal.”

With that said, he turned and took Daniel’s hand walking them towards the other Abydonians who were surrounding a big fire. It reminded me of the first time I was here, except of course Danny wasn’t so little.

I was caught by a few of the kids who had fought with us against Ra after dinner and lost track of Daniel for an hour or so. When I finally managed to get away I noticed Kasuf motioning me over to a tent.

Danny was sleeping on the mat in the corner of the tent; the excitement of the day had exhausted him. I was obviously not needed to look after mini-archaeologist from hell as Kasuf had taken over the care of my kid for the duration of our visit. Kasuf seemed happy at having the boy wonder here, but he had lost both his kids so it did make sense.

“You are taking good care of him?” Kasuf’s question was more like a demand when he stood at my side.

I nodded, “Daniel told me I was looking after him when this happened to him. He’s pretty persuasive,” I paused for a second, “I promise you, Kasuf. I’ll not let anything happen to him.”

Satisfied, Daniel’s father-in-law gently clapped me on the shoulder, “I know.”

-

I woke up the next morning to find that Daniel wasn’t there; I decided not to panic just yet and poked my head out of the tent just to see if I could find the kid.

And find him I did.

He was sitting on Kasuf’s lap, obviously in the middle of a story and I smiled to see him so happy. I actually entertained the notion, for a couple of minutes, that I should leave him here with his family but then I realised I didn’t want to let him go. He may be a hyperactive five year old with the attention span of a distracted goldfish and driving me crazy, but he’s our Daniel and I wouldn’t let anyone else take him.
Abydos And Shopping by LE McMurray
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
A lot of people asked for a sequel, since it was the weekend and I had nothing to do but avoid the football, I managed to get this done.
Enjoy
“Jack.”

The voice intruded on my rather enjoyable dream where I was on a tropical island with nothing to do but sit and watch my Simpsons collection.

“Jack.”

I sighed as the voice came again and I peeled open my eyes to find my mini-archaeologist from hell standing looking down at me.

“Daniel?”

“Morning, Jack,” he grinned at me, completely innocent as though he hadn’t woke me up, “It’s time for breakfast.”

I sat up, wincing as my muscles complained – Abydos is not exactly the Ritz, “And you’re making me get up today specifically?”

He shrugs, innocence and sweetness radiating from him, “Kasuf said.”

I muttered under my breath as I dragged myself up, I don’t care what Daniel says this was not the most comfortable sleeping apparatus – then again during his year here he did have a pretty young woman sleeping beside him.

As I stood up, I realised Daniel had gotten rid of the BDU’s he’d come here in and was wearing Abydonian robes. They were just a mini version of the ones he has in his closest back on Earth and I barely managed not to laugh at him as he went skipping across the sand, barefoot towards where Kasuf was sitting.



When this first happened Thor told me that there would be times that Daniel would behave like he was five but I didn’t really see it that much. Other than his tendency to bounce around like he’d drank a ton of coffee he had been his usual self - mostly. But here with Kasuf I saw the other side of the coin. Daniel spent most of his time, when he wasn’t running around playing with the other kids, sitting in Kasuf’s lap looking extremely content.

I wandered over and took a seat next to Kasuf and the innocent looking terror, Daniel was sitting happily munching on some sort of bread as he leaned back against his father-in-law.

“Jack,” my attention was pulled away from my breakfast to Daniel.

“Yeah?”

“We have to go back to Earth tonight;” he frowned, “Don’t we?”

“‘Fraid so,” I replied, I hated that we only had a short time here because I was seeing my friend in a whole new light, “Hammond needs us back.”

Daniel let out a deep sigh.

“You are needed,” Kasuf reminded him, gently rubbing Daniel’s back soothingly, “And O’Neill has assured me that it will be only a short time you are like this.”

Daniel nodded, “Yeah,” sounding slightly sad.

“And I expect a visit once you are yourself once more, Good Son,” Kasuf told him sternly.

Daniel turned and hugged Kasuf tightly, “I promise, Good Father.”

*********************************************

“Okay,” I said as I turned off the engine, “What are the rules we agreed on, Daniel?”

In the mirror I could see my currently mini best friend roll his eyes at me.

“I act like I’m five, meaning no trying to pay for things with my credit card, no coffee and no pointing out how that’s the brand of beer I like” he rhymes off with a smirk on his little face, “Hey, does this mean I can throw a tantrum when you won’t buy me chocolate?”

“No,” I automatically respond before groaning, annoyed he managed to get that from me.

Daniel chuckles, “Come on, Jack. The sooner we get this done the faster we get back to yours and I can check my email.”

I laugh at the bizarre normality of this and get out of the car; I open the backdoor and wait for Daniel to climb out to join me. I head into the shop with him wandering beside me and hope this doesn’t turn into a nightmare.

We spent three days on Abydos, it would have been more but I had work to do that couldn’t be put off much longer. Watching Daniel say goodbye to Kasuf almost broke my heart and I started to question my decision not to leave him there but before I could change my mind, Daniel appeared at my side and looked up at me waiting to go. After the medical where Daniel sat and chatted away to scary nurse we headed back to my place. Half-way there I realised we needed food so that meant the hell that is shopping.

“Jack,” Daniel interrupted my musings, “Don’t forget that Janet ordered you get healthy food.”

I snorted, “The Doc has no idea what I usually eat. Despite what you may think, Danny I do know how to cook a lot of healthy and varied meals.”

“So why is it always pizza when we come over?” the sarcastic question seems so bizarre in the high pitched child’s voice.

“Because it was easier,” I told him.

Daniel stopped as I grabbed a cart and gave me a horrified look, “I am not getting in that.”

I chuckle at the disgust in his voice, “I wouldn’t dare; just keep somewhere I can see you.”
“Don’t you trust me, Jack?” he asks before he wanders ahead of me.



This actually wasn’t the nightmare I envisioned, I decided as I picked up some fruit. Then I heard it.

“Let me go!!”

I recognised my mini-archaeologist from hell’s indignant voice instantly and I headed towards it.

“What’s going on?” I demand as I turn the corner to where a security guard had a hold of my kid. Beside them stood a woman and a little girl who was crying, though even I could tell it was completely fake.

“Is this child yours?” the woman demanded and irritated me instantly.

“Danny,” I ignored her, “What happened?”

“I was just looking at the chocolate,” he told me, still trying to wrench his arm away from the security guard, “When this...this brat tried to shove me out of the way.”

“How dare you?” the insane woman snapped, “My little Sunbeam would never do such a thing.”

Daniel and I shared a quick look as we both tried to work out if sunbeam was the actual or pet name for the brat.

“And Daniel wouldn’t lie about this,” I snapped back before turning to the security guard, “Let him go.”

Daniel let out an annoyed huff as he was let go and marched over to me, “I didn’t do anything.”

“I know, Danny,” I murmured, resting my hand on his head, “Okay, we’re going.”

“I want an apology,” the woman demanded.

“Like hell, lady,” Daniel muttered under his breath and I had to bite the inside of my mouth not to laugh.

“I want an apology from your child,” she told me.

I rolled my eyes and could see the security guard just wishing we’d all go away so he could go do something much less stressful – like jump out a plane without a parachute.

At this point I lost my temper, “Look, lady. Your kid isn’t crying, she’s faking it to get chocolate and quite frankly I’m not going to force my kid to apologise for nothing so that you can spoil your kid more. Danny, let’s go.”

As we walked away I could see the smirk on his face.

“Not one word,” I told him.

*********************************************

I actually sighed in relief as I took dropped onto my couch that night, who knew one shopping trip could be so stressful. We finally finished our shopping, despite the witchy woman throwing us glares at every turn – I was seriously contemplating getting a restraining order on her, and made it home with minimum fuss. As I put away everything, Daniel disappeared into his room to check his emails and stuff. The few days on Abydos had been good, for both of us. Kasuf had pretty much spoiled him which I found hysterically funny but it also meant I was able to relax and not have him wittering away in my ear almost continuously driving me crazy. Strangely I missed it.

“Jack,” the little angel himself came wandering in, a book in his hand, “Am I allowed to work?”

“Work?” I asked a little confused.

“You know look over what’s brought back, translate things...my job.”

He looked so worried and I could see the emotions of his child’s body taking over as his blue eyes were becoming watery.

“Danny,” I motioned him over to me and picked him up onto my knee, “You are still you. Younger and cuter than before but everything is still in there.”

“Jack,” he frowned at me.

“The only thing about you working is you more than likely won’t be able to do it for long periods of time,” I reminded him, “Hell, you can barely keep your mind on one thing for more than five minutes.”

“So,” he frowned even more, “I can’t work.”

“Daniel, you can do what you want,” I soothed, knowing why he had the entire SGC wrapped around his little finger, “But remember this is only temporary. Few months and you’ll be ten and then twenty and then we’ll have back to normal – even if you get to be a little younger than you should be.”

He smiled in relief and hugged me before he slipped off my lap and taking his book, settled into a corner of the couch and started reading.

Thank God he doesn’t get to be a teenager again - I don’t think I’d survive.
Settling In by LE McMurray
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy
“Daniel,” I called as I made pancakes, “Come get breakfast. We’re due at the base soon.”

I could hear unintelligible murmuring coming from the hall just before the little guy appeared. His long blond hair all over the place, his eyes barely open and he was shuffling along still wearing the Spiderman Pyjamas that Carter bought for him. I won’t tell you his response to her present but I’ve made sure anytime I buy him any clothing it’s plain. The only reason he’s wearing them is we only have two pairs and the other is dirty.

Daniel refuses to buy too much while he’s in this incarnation because he will be bigger in the next two months and anything we get for him now will be donated to a local children’s home. Daniel was pretty vehement about this. He almost refused to buy anything but we persuaded him he had to.

I placed a plate of pancakes in front of him watching as he poured a large glob of syrup on the side of the plate before meticulously cutting the pancake into small pieces and soaking the piece in it before munching. What’s even more amazing was his eyes were barely half-open during this.

It’s a scene I’ve witnessed many times but never like this. Daniel, when he’s his normal size, can also chug down a mug or two of coffee at the same time before he even shows signs of actually being fully conscious.



Despite the fact he’s only half-conscious, Daniel can still get dressed faster than anyone I know. He’s spent a long time being self-sufficient, since he was eight years old to be exact, and it shows even like this. We got all our stuff together and headed to the car, Daniel jumped in the back quite happily and made sure he was secure before he pulled out his book – the third Harry Potter book he’s on now. Despite seeing the movies with Teal’c, who loves them for some reason, Daniel decided to read the books and the only reason he’s not further on with them is he keeps getting caught on work and the occasional urge to draw with crayons. I have a great picture in my office that he drew of the four of us, I’m getting it framed. Daniel doesn’t know I’ve got it but I managed to steal it before it got slammed in the trash with everything he draws. Danny, as an adult is a talented artist but his childlike motor skills at the moment have robbed him of the finesse he usually has.

I know both Carter and Frasier are both hoping for an opportunity to steal one too.



“Morning,” Daniel grinned at everyone we passed as I carried him through the corridors, again.

“Good morning, Dr Jackson,” was actually the response he received apart from those who call him Daniel.

He was still happily bouncing away in my arms, chattering away without thought of the fact I wasn’t listening at all. We were there for a few hours then we had to go shopping for Cassie’s birthday present, something I was dreading after our last little shopping expedition. I keep expecting psycho lady to pop up and demand an apology from Daniel again but so far she’s not appeared.

We went first to Daniel’s office so he could get what he needed for the morning then we headed up to my office – I was amazed to find I actually had one. Anyway, Daniel settled in the small desk Carter had set up for him that can be upsized for when he’s ten and I started going through the paperwork.

Unfortunately all too quickly Daniel got bored and started fidgeting in his seat. He stops his own work and pulls out his book, after ten minutes which I’m sure is a record he decides to draw. I watch him out of the corner of my eye and feel my heart break just a little as I see him draw a woman with deep black hair and dark brown eyes but even that wasn’t finished and he tossed every drawing in the trash before turning to me.

“Can we go yet?” he demanded.

I checked the clock, an hour and a half, better than the last few days.

“I still have stuff to do,” I tell him, receiving the ‘not again’ roll of the eyes, “Why don’t you go an...visit Carter for a while.”

“Because,” he folded his arms across his chest, the expression was almost annoyed but he couldn’t manage it completely as he still looks so cute, “I can’t walk around the base without someone with me.”

That was true; it was one of Hammond’s first orders when this happened. It was purely for Daniel’s safety as he’d probably be trampled anytime we had an emergency and the defence teams went running through the halls.

I didn’t want to traipse all the way to Carter’s lab and back but then Danny was in the annoying mode where I wanted to tie him up and gag him – something I know Hammond and Fraiser would frown upon so when Silar wandered past I knew I had my scapegoat.

“Sir?” our fixer of all things asked when I called him back.

“Silar,” I grinned and I could see the worry on his face, “Could you take Daniel down to Carter’s lab for me?”

The little terror turned to Silar and gave him a big grin, all angelic eyes and sweet smile making Silar grin back.

“No problem, sir,” our Mr Fix-it told me, “Coming, Dr Jackson?”

Daniel gave me a quick smile and wave before he trotted out after Silar, leaving me in peace.

*********************************************

I finally finished all my paperwork and without the voice of doom from the desk telling me how bored he was. I picked up all his junk and packed it so we could head for lunch before another dreaded shopping trip but I couldn’t resist checking out his drawings.

There was one of Thor, which wasn’t too badly rumpled – maybe ironing it would fix it and I could frame it for the little grey guy? Another picture was of the Stargate and the four of us ready to go through it, finally there was a picture of Sha’re. Not as good as the one he draws in every journal during his watch while offworld but still not bad.

I replace the ones he wants rid of except the Thor one which I hide in my desk and head to rescue Carter.



As I walked through the corridors towards Carter’s lab I listened for anything that meant she needed rescued but there’s nothing. I ended up standing in the doorway watching Daniel sitting on a stool, swinging his legs back and forward as he drinks a glass of milk. Sam was next to him and they were sitting discussing something I’m not even going to try and guess what. It was such a natural picture I couldn’t help but smile. Big or small they can always talk together easily.

“Hey,” I finally interrupted, cause quite frankly I’m hungry, “Are you ready, Daniel?”

He placed the glass gently on the table and wiped his mouth with his sleeve, there’s a five year olds trait if I ever saw one, before he hopped off his stool and waved goodbye to Carter. Carter who I know is dying just to give him a big hug and kiss him like he is the kid he looks like.

Once he’d said his goodbyes Daniel walked to me and held up his arms expectantly. What’s strange is that in the few weeks this has become the complete norm for me to walk through the corridors with Daniel at one shoulder, the little cherub talking in my ear. The image of having one in each ear, the devil and the angel hits me and I muffle a laugh.



Lunch.

I must have some kind of brain tumour or something to have made me think that this was a good idea. We stopped off at the new restaurant on the way to the mall, The Waterfall Cafe, a Mom and Pop operation that appeared only a few weeks ago it has a play area for kids and from what I’ve heard pretty good food, so we agreed this would be our stop for lunch. There were lots of kids running around and I winced at the noise.

An annoyingly chirpy waitress showed us to a table in the corner and cooed over how cute Daniel was as she got him a special chair that meant he could reach the table without stretching.

“She’s nice,” he noted once she’d given us the menus and taken our drinks order.

“She’s both too old and too young for you,” I grinned at him over the top of my menu as he rolled his eyes at me.

“I’m married, Jack,” he reminded me with a long suffering sigh, both the words and that sigh coming out of the small rosebud mouth just didn’t seem right.

I quickly changed the subject, “So, what do you want to eat?”

Daniel shrugged, his mouth twisted slightly in thought, “I don’t think I like the children’s menu.”

“Then pick something off the normal one,” I told him, “And we’ll get them to pack the leftovers.”

That mollifies him and he starts studying the normal menu intently. The waitress arrives back and smiles at the cuteness of Daniel pouring over the menu.

“So,” she says with a slight southern twang, her nametag reads Crystal, “What can I get you two handsome gents?”

Daniel ordered the Special Chicken Wrap with fries; Crystal warned that it was extremely spicy but Daniel just grinned at her.

“I know,” he said with his bright blue eyes wide and innocent.

“And what about you?” she turned to me.

My order is blander, a ham and cheese toasted wrap with fries but still sounds pretty good since I had breakfast at almost 5 am – thanks to Daniel who fell asleep on the toilet floor. Apparently he got up in the middle of the night to use the toilet and dropped the toy he sleeps with, a large gorilla called Louie that is almost half his size, he knelt to get him and somehow ended up fast asleep curled around it. I got up and found him, the confusion and worry he’d done something to himself woke me up completely. I put him into his bed and he didn’t get up for another two hours while I was bouncing about cleaning my house at the 06:00 because I wasn’t getting back to sleep.

“Jack,” Daniel interrupts my thoughts, “I’m going to the play area for a bit. I’ll be back when the food comes.”

“Sure,” I shrug.

It still astonishes me how much he loves doing kid things, I think he’s trying to get in practice for when he has one of his own once we get Sha’re back. I sit and sip at my iced tea as I think about how long he’s going to be like this. Only another eight and a half weeks and he’s going to be ten, that’ll probably bring a whole new load of challenges.



“You’re not my dad,” a voice yells loud enough to get over the noise of the restaurant, “I want my dad.”

The voice I recognise instantly as Daniel means I’m on my feet and headed towards the play area but my kid’s not there. Panic fills me and I spin to see a man in a black suit trying to make off with Daniel, who is fighting furiously, through the back door.

“Hey,” I yell, “Let him go.”

The potential abductor glances up at me and I see horror fill his eyes, then pain as Daniel, taking advantage of the distraction, bites the man’s hand before head butting him in the crotch. Black Suit’s knees buckle and Daniel runs over to me. I scoop him up in my arms and I can hear someone calling the cops but I’m too busy making sure Daniel hasn’t been harmed.

Black Suit taking advantage of the fact I was ignoring him tried to run, Crystal slammed a tray into his face and knocked him to the ground.

“Thanks,” I smiled at her.

She nodded at me grimly as a few of the kitchen staff kept a hold of the would be kidnapper. I followed them as they moved him to a back room.

“The police are on their way,” Crystal told me.

I shook my head and placed Daniel down; he wrapped an arm around my leg to let me know he was still there as I pulled out my cell and dialled quickly. This was no random abduction attempt. It looked like Cassie was getting money for her birthday this year.



“It appears NID has heard about Dr Jackson’s new state,” Hammond told us as we sat in the briefing room.

Daniel frowned as he munched on his lunch; we’d brought it back with us once I had got Black Suit in custody. Carter had almost smothered Daniel when she hugged him, Teal’c simply wanted ten minutes in the room alone with our almost kidnapper.

“What do we do?” I demanded, waving away Carter as she steals some more of my fries.

“The usual, Jack,” he replied perfectly calm, something I was not.

“Do I have to stay in the base?” Daniel spoke up, around a mouthful of food.

Hammond smiled slightly at him, “No, son. We will however have the house watched by our people until such time as you are your adult self again.”

Daniel chewed his lip for a moment before turning back to the General, “Are you sure they’ll stop coming after me once I’m big again?”

“We’re sure,” Carter answered, “They want a five year old Daniel Jackson they believe they can mould. What they obviously don’t know is you have all your adult memories.”

“And,” I jumped in, “If they think they can suppress those, Thor has you tagged remember. He can find you no matter where you are.”

Daniel nodded, “Great. Can we go shopping for Cassie’s present now?”

I smiled as I saw the trust Daniel had in us, so complete – he knew we would protect him no matter what.

“Let’s go,” I told him passing Carter the last of my fries as my little angel wandered to my side.

I was going to enjoy every moment with this Daniel, then I was going to enjoy every moment of the ten year old version once he was with me and then, I was going to appreciate my friend for being himself.
Zoos And Barbecues And Dogs, Oh My by LE McMurray
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I’ve had this sitting half done for a while and finally managed to finish it.
It’s very short and not my favourite chapter, I’m also not too fussed for the title but hopefully I’ll be able to get to another chapter soon.
Enjoy
It was peaceful.

It was just so peaceful and the reason was simple. My mini-archaeologist from hell was nowhere near me.

Doc Fraiser had promised Cassie a trip to the zoo for her birthday and Daniel had asked, surprisingly shyly, if he could tag along. Fraiser had instantly agreed and I had dropped him off earlier at the Doc’s house. I hung around for ten minutes so we could give Cassie our birthday present and, even if I do say so myself, the kid has two fantastic uncles in me and Danny. We got her a digital camera that she loved, Sam had already put the software on her computer for downloading the pictures and we promised her a trip to Disney, once Daniel was grown again, so she could use it.

I knew I was being horrible being so happy that he wasn’t there but it had been over three weeks with the constant chatter and worry about him getting trod on accidentally.



The alarms forced me out of my comfortable seat and the hell that is paperwork; I headed into the Gateroom as the Iris was rolling open.

“Carter?”

My second in command turned and grinned at me, “It’s my Dad.”

I grinned back. I liked Jacob but the thing that I was really looking forward to was the fact he didn’t know what happened to Daniel yet and I wanted to see his face.

Jacob walked quickly down the ramp and hugged his daughter before turning to me with a grin, “Jack.”

“Hi there, ‘Dad’,” I grinned back, “Social call or do the Tok’ra want us to risk our lives for very little back?”

Jacob gave me that look, the one that says ‘I have Selmak swearing at you in my head’ before he shrugged, “Just a short vacation.”

“Cool,” I started walking with him.

“So, where are the other two clowns?” Jacob asked with a smirk.

“T is beating a few new recruits to a pulp,” I replied, “Daniel’s at the zoo with Cassie and Janet.”

Jacob nodded and I caught Sam’s eye who grinned back at me, obviously getting that I really wanted to surprise Jacob with our mini-archaeologist from hell.

“We’re having a barbecue for Cassie tonight,” Sam took over for me, “Want to come, Dad?”

“Is Teal’c cooking?”

Sam and I both laughed.

“No,” Sam grinned, “He’s promised never to do it again until we get him cooking lessons.”



The sun was shining as we set up the barbecue; Teal’c was using his considerable warrior skills with a blade to chop the salad while Sam was fixing the drinks we’d bought and Jacob was sitting lounging in the sun.

I heard Janet’s car draw up and watched Jacob out the corner of my eye as I saw my kid come speeding towards me.

“Jack,” he beamed, throwing himself at me with glee, “You’ll never guess what I did?”

“What did you do?” I asked, suddenly worried.

“Adopted a monkey,” he grinned at me, “I named it Jack.”

“Funny,” I replied, I could see Jacob looking confused and leaned into the little blond head, “Go say hi to Jacob.”

Daniel’s head spun and he grinned as he saw Carter’s Dad staring at him; with a smirk that I had become all too familiar with, he wriggled so I’d put him down before strolling across the grass to Jacob.

“Hi, Jacob,” Daniel greeted him, “Hi, Selmac. Are you here for Cassie’s party?”

Jacob simply stared at this innocent little cherub; he could obviously see the resemblance to our fourth member but just couldn’t quite make the connection or wouldn’t.

“Daniel?” Jacob finally spoke.

“Yeah,” the little guy continued to grin sweetly at the poor confused man.

It was Sam who finally rescued him and explained what had happened.



Daniel sat on a chair at the picnic table, scoffing down his second burger as he swung his legs smiling as Jacob continued to stare at him.

“Something wrong, Jacob?” he asked with a grin.

“You’re...short,” Jacob managed to say, “How’s it working for you?”

Daniel laughed, it was a sound I’d heard frequently since he was shrunk and I was sure I’d probably not hear once Daniel was back to normal.

“It’s an interesting point of view,” Daniel replied, grinning at Jacob who I know adored Danny anyway at his usual height and age.

“Sam said you’ll be...” Jacob hesitated trying to phrase it right.

“Biggified,” Daniel laughed, throwing an amused look at me as I nearly fell off my seat at his use of my word for Thor’s procedure.

“Okay,” Jacob said unsure, “That’s happening soon?”

“Eight weeks,” Daniel told him with a nod, “Actually that’s just the first phase where I’ll be made ten then I’ll be twenty then thirty.”

Jacob nodded and fell into silence. I took pity on him and handed him another beer, he looked like he needed it.

*********************************************

You’d think being in charge of the five year old mini-archaeologist would be stressful enough but no, we had to add one more ingredient. Ladies and gentlemen, we got a dog.

In my defence it wasn’t planned, it wasn’t like I woke up and thought hey I needed an even bigger challenge.

We were out for a walk after breakfast the Sunday after Cassie’s party and as we passed one of the houses near the end of the block there was a lot of commotion going on. I looked down to find Danny had left my side and joined the throng of kids.

“Oh no,” I sighed, wondering what was going on.

“Jack,” Daniel yelled as he appeared at my side, “Puppies.”

“Puppies?” I asked, the feeling I get when a Jaffa is sneaking up on me arriving at the same time.

“Come on and see,” Daniel grabbed my arm and yanked me towards the rest of the crowd.

Lying in the centre of the circle was a golden haired Labrador, looking tired as about seven, possibly eight puppies all fought for their dinner. The owner stood looking down at the new brood with a smile on her face, I recognised her as Mrs Sanderson who I helped every so often when we crossed paths in the grocery store.

“You got your hands full there,” I noted to her when she saw me.

Mrs Sanderson gave an amused sigh, “Do you want one?”

At her question Daniel spun to me with hope in his eyes and I wanted to ask him how he expected to look after a dog when he was going on missions again but I couldn’t.

“One,” I told him.



Now personally I was going to take one of the ones who were fighting to get some food who I knew we’d probably have to wait a few weeks to take home but instead Danny found the runt of the litter. A tiny little bit of fur who was shoved out of the road by all his older brother and sisters that Daniel gravitated to instantly.

Because our puppy was the runt of the litter and couldn’t be fed by his mother it meant we had to hand rear the dog. So somehow I ended up preparing bottles as Daniel looked after the scrap of fur.

“So what are we going to call the little pipsqueak?” I asked as Daniel stroked his new dog as it sat in his lap.

“How about Pipsqueak?” Daniel suggested.

“You’re not serious?” I demanded, dropping onto the couch and flicking through the channels until I found a game to watch.

“Why not?” he grinned, “I like it. What do you think, Pip?”

The dog gave a small squeak which Daniel took as approval and so Pipsqueak, or Pip for short was so christened.

Oh boy.
A Day At The Park by LE McMurray
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Many thanks to Sarah Williams for the coffee trivia, hope you don't mind I used it.

I was amazed I managed to write another part of this so quickly but hey, I did. I will hopefully continue this but until then enjoy
I was having a peaceful dream. I was on a beach, cooler at one side filled with beer as I sat watching the Simpsons;– I wasn’t asking how the TV and DVD player was working on the beach with no wires, I was dreaming.

Then suddenly little sharp pinpricks on my toes forced me back into the real world and I groaned at the slobber all over my feet.

“Daniel,” I muttered, knowing the pain in my ass had put the animal there, Pip couldn’t get on my bed himself, “Get the dog away from me.”

A giggle made me squeeze my eyes shut; I resisted the urge to kick at the thing biting my feet as I knew I’d probably kill the poor thing. Daniel thankfully lifted Pip off the bed and left me alone.

We’d had the dog for about two weeks now and he’d become Daniel’s constant companion. It was the funniest thing in the world to see this puppy growl at anyone he didn’t know come near Daniel, as though he could actually do something to an attacker.

Hearing the terrible twosome were out of my room I opened my eyes and sat up, instantly putting my slippers on – bare feet were an open invitation to Pip who loved eating toes, especially mine.



“Morning, Jack,” the innocent looking brat smiled at me as I entered the kitchen, he was sitting on the floor with Pip chewing on a fake bone as Daniel pulled slightly on it.

“Morning,” I replied, moving to start breakfast, “What do you want?”

“Coffee?”

I shook my head, he made this request every few days but it was at the top of the list of Janet’s ‘not a chance in hell’ list.

“It’ll stunt your growth,” I replied, it was my usual reply.

“Actually the APA, American Paediatric Association to you, confirmed that coffee does not stunt kids' growth,” Daniel told me with a sweet, angelic smile, “So, can I have some?”

“Let me ask you one thing,” I said, “If I did give you some and Janet found out, which you know she would, what do you think she’d do to both of us?”

He frowned, thinking over it for a few seconds before looking back up at me, “Milk please.”



Pip followed Daniel to his room when the kid went to get dressed; the golden fur ball adored my kid and went everywhere with him – even slept beside him which I couldn’t stop. Try as I might.

“Danny, hurry up and get dressed,” I called, “We need to go to the base before the park.”

“I know, Jack,” he called back, “You’ve told me about ten times.”

A yip of agreement came from Pip and I laughed. We’d had the puppy for two weeks but already he was part of the family, I just wanted to know how the poor thing would react when five year old Danny turned into ten year old then more.

*********************************************

Our trip to the base lasted longer than it should have, it was supposed to be a quick in and out. Then Daniel wanted to say “hi” to Sam then to Teal’c and then Janet. We also stopped off to see Hammond who asked Daniel to look over a few things quickly while he played with Pip. I now know how Daniel’s going to keep the dog and still go on missions; Hammond wouldn’t allow Pip to be sent away.

It took us a good bit of time to get out of the base, everyone said “hi” to Daniel who rode on my hip and petted Pip who was riding in Daniel’s arms. I was amazed by how trained this puppy was considering he was only a few weeks old. Yes, he did still leave little gifts around the house but whenever Daniel picked him up, Pip sat happily until Daniel put him back down.

Finally we made it off the base.

“Jack,” Daniel piped up from the back seat, “You know you missed the exit for the park, right?”

“I thought we’d pick up food from the Cafe and have lunch there,” I explained, seeing him grin.

We’d become regulars at the Waterfall Cafe and they welcomed us despite what had happened on our first visit, unfortunately in six weeks Danny would become ten and it would be out the question to eat there until Daniel was back to his normal age. How do you explain a five year old, a ten year old and a twenty year old who all look a like?

“Hi,” Crystal greeted us with a big grin as we walked up to the new takeaway window, “Nice to see you.”

“You too,” Daniel grinned back, looking altogether so cute I could see Crystal practically ‘aww’ out loud.

“Can we get the usual to go?” I asked her, “And throw in whatever the special dessert is today.”

“Of course,” Crystal scribbled down our order, you could tell how often we come here, “That’ll be a few minutes.”

I gave her the money along with a good tip, we liked Crystal and since there was no one waiting, Daniel started telling her how he was training Pip to fetch a stick. I watched this version of my friend knowing soon he would no longer be this cute little bundle.

It surprised me to realise I would really miss him like this. The energy, the attention span of a gnat, the tendency to laugh, I was even going to miss carrying him through the halls of the SGC.

Crystal disappeared for a second and returned with our order, she smiled down at Daniel and handed him a candy bar with wink. I rolled my eyes at her as I ushered Daniel back to the car while Crystal simply smiled innocently at me.



The park was filled with families all enjoying the sunny Sunday afternoon, we somehow managed to find a good spot in the picnic area and I set out lunch. Pip found a spot in the sun, yawned and closed his eyes.

“I want to say goodbye to Crystal before I change,” Daniel told me as he munched on his spicy chicken wrap, “It’s not like this me will be able to return.”

I nodded, “We’ll do it the day before Thor comes.”

Daniel grinned at me before shovelling some fries into his mouth, he actually eats more in this form than when he was his adult self – it occurred to me that it was my doing and I knew I’d be looking out for him even when he grew up again.



“I’m finished,” he announced, wiping his mouth on the napkin I handed him, “I’ll be on the swings. Look after Pip.”

Before I could reply he was away running to play with the other kids. I moved to the other side of the bench so I could keep an eye on Pip, our tiny pup opened one eye before shuffling slightly closer to me. I gently stroked his fur as I watched Daniel swing higher looking for all the world as though he were really five.

As our pup snuffled in his sleep, I smiled as I remembered the first night we had Pipsqueak in the house.

“You’ve never owned a dog?” I asked in surprise at his soft announcement.

Daniel shrugged as he gently fed the pup in his lap, “My parents weren’t keen on pets. They couldn’t travel with us. The first foster family I stayed with had a dog.”

I sat next to him to listen to him speak; Daniel rarely talked about his childhood even during this second one.

“It was an Alsatian called Max and it was huge,” Daniel smiled wryly, a strange expression on a five year old, “I was terrified of him at first. When my social worked knocked on the door he barked like crazy and I didn’t want him anywhere near me. I think it was the week after I’d arrived and I was sitting out the back thinking about my parents. I was shocked when this dog planted his head in my lap and whined slightly,” he smiled properly this time at the memory, “I nervously reached out and rested my hand on his head. I didn’t talk after my parents died, I couldn’t but for some reason Max gave me someone to talk to.”

“More successful conversations with dogs?” I asked, pure innocence covering my face.

Daniel simply laughed and continued looking after his puppy.




“Jack?”

I turned to the unexpected voice and smiled to find Sara standing there, “Hi?”

We stared at each other for a few seconds before I stood and gave her a quick hug, turning as Pip squeaked in protest that I’d stopped petting him.

Sara laughed and moved to gently stroke the puppy’s fur smiling as he gave another big yawn.

“Meet Pip,” I introduced her.

“You name your dog Pip?” Sara asked, trying not to laugh.

I shrugged, “Actually his full name is Pipsqueak,” I saw her bite her lip to stop herself laughing out loud, “I didn’t name him.”

“Of course not,” she replied, “What are you doing here? I thought you hated coming here since...”

“I did,” I reached out and squeezed her hand, this had been once of Charlie’s favourite places.

“Jack!!!”

Sara looked shocked as the blond haired tyke came speeding over, she turned to me wanting to ask but didn’t get a chance as Daniel arrived and stopped, recognising her without a moment of confusion.

“Hello, Sara,” Daniel greeted her.

“Hi,” Sara squeaked completely confused.

“Sara, meet Daniel Ballard,” I introduced them using the alias we’d created for Daniel, something easy for him to use; “He’s staying with me while his folks are abroad.”

“Jack has your picture,” Daniel told her, ignoring the death glare I gave him, “You’re prettier.”

“Thank you, Daniel,” Sara beamed, instantly charmed, “Is this your puppy?”

Danny nodded, playing the precocious five year old to perfection, “Pip is only a few weeks old. His mom had too many babies so we had to raise him.”

Sara looked astonished and turned to me, “Really?”

“Couldn’t leave the poor thing,” I told her, smiling as Daniel climbed up beside Sara and joined her in petting the puppy.



I carried Daniel back to the car as he slept against my shoulder; Sara held Pip in her arms since he was still too small to roam around on his own. Once I had both my charges safely secured in the car I turned to Sara.

“Thanks for helping,” I told her, “It was nice to see you again.”

Sara nodded, “It was an interesting afternoon. He’s a sweet kid and obviously enjoys staying with you.”

“It’s only a few more weeks before he leaves,” I sighed, not sure why I was blurting this out, “I’ve got used to having him around.”

“You’ll see him when his parents come home though, won’t you?” Sara gently rubbed my arm comfortingly.

“It won’t be the same,” I sighed before taking a deep breath, “I better get him home. He’ll be hungry when he wakes up.”

Sara nodded and gently kissed my cheek, “See you around, Jack.”



When I arrived home I carried Daniel into his room and rested him on the bed before placing Pip beside him. Pipsqueak stretched and looked around the room for a second ensuring his charge was safe before settling down again.

Standing in the doorway I watched Daniel as he slept. About four years ago I met a man who I normally wouldn’t have looked twice at unless it was to push him out of my way and in that man I found someone with extraordinary strength, determination and wisdom who pulled me out of the black hole my son’s death had thrown me into.

I needed my friend back, but there were still a few months until that happened, so I intended to enjoy being the little guys’ guardian.

Assuming Pip let me near him.
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=4211