ALWAYS by Aussie
Summary: Boring briefings can lead to the most amazing things ...
Categories: Het - SG-1 Characters: Cameron Mitchell, Daniel Jackson, Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Tealc, Vala
Episode Related: None
Genres: Humor, Romance
Holiday: None
Season: None
Warnings: language
Crossovers: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 12683 Read: 21495 Published: 2007.09.09 Updated: 2007.09.14
Story Notes:
There are four stories within this mini-series. The first three are Jack and Sam, the last one focuses mainly on Daniel/Vala with a small slice of JS goodness! Written ages ago after seeing 'Prometheus Unbound' based on spoilers for S9, and rendered hopelessly non-canon by S9, S10 and SGA-4.

1. A to Z - 1 by Aussie

2. A to Z - 2 by Aussie

3. Coffee and Conversation - 1 by Aussie

4. Coffee and Conversation - 2 by Aussie

5. Turning the Tables - 1 by Aussie

6. Turning the Tables - Interlude by Aussie

7. Turning the Tables - 2 by Aussie

8. A Good Day Gone Bad - 1 by Aussie

9. A Good Day Gone Bad - 2 by Aussie

10. A Good Day Gone Bad - 3 by Aussie

11. A Good Day Gone Bad - 4 by Aussie

A to Z - 1 by Aussie
God, she was bored! Sam looked around at the other officers, who all appeared to be listening intently to Balinsky from SG-13. Nice man, a good scientist - but he was bo-o-o-o-o-o-ring!

She chanced looking at her friends and co-workers. Daniel was reading his notes, Teal'c seemed to be kelno-reeming with his eyes open, despite not needing to kelno-reem anymore, and the General ... What was he doing? His long fingers played with nothing; was that a cat's cradle he was fashioning?

She shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she remembered how very good those hands had felt when she'd snuggled into his embrace several weeks ago. He'd been there for her as her Dad died - Always, he'd murmured. Could that have meant what she thought? After all, she'd still been with Pete at the time and he was with Kerry Johnson.

Damn the man; sometimes she felt like she knew him better than she knew herself! At other times, he was a complete mystery to her. Hell; someone should write an A to Z of Jack O'Neill!

She uncapped her pen and began scribbling:-

Argumentative

Bold

Compassionate

Daring

Egotistical

Funny

Giving

Hard

Idiotic

Just

Kind

Loving

Menacing

Nonchalant

Optimistic

Protective

Quiet

Rambunctious

Sarcastic

Tender

Unyielding

Violent

Wistful

X ... can't think

Yummy

Z ... can't think. Maybe Daniel knows a word.


"Dismissed," she heard the General say and broke out of her trance.

She smiled and put the cap back on her pen then flinched when a familiar hand reached over and snagged the list.

"Sir!" she said, mortified, making an unsuccessful grab at the results of a meandering mind.

Brigadier General Jack O'Neill looked down the list, giving her a trademark smirk. "Sweet!" he said. He waggled his eyebrows. "Seems you can't make up your mind about me."

Sam searched desperately for a black hole she could fling herself into. No ... nothing. Where was oblivious when you really needed it? "Sir ...," she mumbled, her cheeks going pink. "You're a lot more complicated than you like to think."

Don't hit him. Don't hit him. Don't hit him.

He gave her a warm smile this time, and she blinked. Did the man have any idea how handsome he was?

Don't lust after him. Don't lust after him. Don't lust after him.

Funny how she thought they'd managed to kill these feelings. If the fluttering in her stomach and the urge to kiss him senseless was anything to go by, her feelings for the man hadn't decreased one whit.

"Carter ...?" he purred suddenly.

"Yes, sir?"

"I think you're ... yummy, too."

And with that Jack O'Neill strolled out of the briefing room, leaving Samantha Carter speechless.
A to Z - 2 by Aussie
"Hey Daniel," Sam said, smiling as her friend wandered into the lab. It was good to be back, she decided, although she'd enjoyed Area 51 a great deal.

"Hey Sam," he replied. "You know; when I was helping Jack clear out his office, I found something in his bottom drawer."

Sam shrugged. That was hardly a surprise. General O'Neill had been a great CO - even if he didn't believe that - but his desk tended to be a war zone. "And ...?" she asked.

"Something I don't think General Landry should see, or any other military types," Daniel said. "At least we'll know it was just something Jack did because ... it's Jack."

"Daniel ...," Sam said in her most threatening tone.

Daniel handed her the envelope then stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Well ... enjoy," he said. "And Sam?"

"Yeah," Sam mumbled as she powered up her laptop.

"You know where to find me if you want to talk."

"Okay." Sam was bemused, but Daniel could be very strange at times. "Thanks, Daniel."

+++++++++++++++


She wasn't sure why, but she waited till she got home that night before opening the envelope Daniel had given her. Several large sheets of paper fell out, containing various Jack doodles from countless briefings.

Trees, dogs, a Death Glider ... her eyes widened at the perfectly reproduced ZPM ... stars ... Homer Simpson (of course). He was actually a pretty good artist.

She put those sheets aside and took up a small scrap of paper.

A to Z of Sam:

Ass-kicking

Beautiful

Caring

Decent

Energetic

Fun

Genius

Humble

Interesting

Joyful

Kissable


Sam's breath caught at the last declaration then she carried on reading.

Loving

Magnificent

Neat-freak

Officer of the decade material

Passionate

Quick

Respectful (even when I'm being an ass)

Sarcastic (I taught her well)

Tormented


And that was it. As if he'd run out of words on paper as easily as he could in real life. Sam was breathing in heavily now, fighting the feelings that welled up inside her. He knew her so well - just like she knew him. But was it love, or just familiarity?

She closed her eyes and decided it was time to take up some of the leave she'd stockpiled. Bite the bullet, Sam! Go talk to him.
Coffee and Conversation - 1 by Aussie
Considering how much people had been nagging her for years to get a life - well, specifically, General O'Neill - Sam found it difficult to get some leave now that she actually wanted to leave the mountain.

I think this comes under the category of ironic, she mused grumpily as she left General Landry's office. She'd come dangerously close to insubordination when he'd turned down her third request in as many days and had had to bite back the words that came to her lips. Since taking command of SG-1, she'd noticed that she was starting to pick up some of her former CO's habits ... and his attitude.

She smiled slightly - how that man had made General when he'd pissed off so many people (powerful people) was beyond her! Not that he didn't deserve it. He did. He was a good man; a strong, brilliant leader. But Jack O'Neill was not known for making nice with politicians and bureaucrats. She was surprised he hadn't gone nuts at the Pentagon by now.

Since their separate postings, they'd been carrying on a weird kind of flirtation over the phone and by email. But they hadn't actually seen each other since the small affair they'd held for Jack's transfer at O'Malley's. The restaurant had come under new management and the list of personae non grata had gone with the old owner.

After more than four years, they were finally able to get a really good steak in the Springs. Jack and Daniel had fallen on their steaks like ravening wolves, whilst Sam and Teal'c had been openly amused. Except for that one evening of serious protein cravings, Sam didn't eat a lot of red meat.

Her cellphone rang and she started at the loudness in the quiet corridor. Daniel had once asked how she could even get a reception this far underground. She'd merely smiled and he immediately decided that he actually didn't want to know. She tugged it out of her pocket and saw the General's cell number. "Sir; hi," she greeted him.

"Hey, Carter!" he responded cheerfully. Funny how he seemed much happier at the Pentagon than during that last year he'd spent at the SGC. "Whatcha doing?"

She opened the door to her lab and sat down at her laptop, bringing up the schematics for the Daedalus' hyperdrive engines. "Do you really want to know, sir, or are you just asking because you're bored?" she inquired.

"How d'you do that?" he said.

"Do what?" She didn't know whether he believed his own claims to stupidity, but he had a doctorate in confusing Samantha Carter.

"Manage to be polite and disrespectful at the same time."

She chuckled. "It's a gift, sir," she offered. "So ...?" she prompted.

"Ah." A short silence. "Ah ... I'm coming into town in a couple days to meet with Hank. You ... uh ... wanna get together?"

She was startled at that. Quite why, she didn't know. After all the flirting ... The flirting was good - it was fun - but they'd done that when they'd been CO and 2IC. Before the whole Zatarc disaster. Was that all this was? She'd done her best to move on, and so had he, yet they found themselves drawn back together. Was he a safe bet, like that hallucination had implied?

Yet she'd enjoyed that flirting so much that when Agent Barrett had asked her if she was single again, she'd merely said "Not exactly", hoping he wouldn't press her for details.

It was time to find out. "I'd like that, sir," she said. "You want to tell Daniel and Teal'c, or shall I?"

"Uh ...". A longer silence this time. "I was ... uh ... Oh, for cryin' out loud! Sam; I just want to see you this time - no offense to Daniel and T."

"Ah," she responded with a Jack-worthy monosyllable. Just how many of his bad habits had she picked up? Then she slapped herself mentally. "I'd like that, s ... uh, Jack," she said.

"Great," he said, sounding relieved. "I'll swing by your lab and collect you about 1600 day after tomorrow. Okay?"

"Sure," she replied.

"Well ... better go. Meeting with the eggheads from '51 in ten," he said. She could almost hear him rolling his eyes. "The place hasn't been the same since you left, Carter - those guys sure miss you."

"I miss them, too," she said, "but I'm happy to be back here. So ... have fun with the 'eggheads' and I'll see you in a couple of days."

"Okay. Bye, Sam."

"Bye, Jack."

And Samantha Carter returned to her work, unaware of the goofy smile that graced her lips.
Coffee and Conversation - 2 by Aussie
"So, Carter ...," the General said. He looked at her over the giant cup of coffee he held.

"Sir?" she said, sipping her own coffee. Mmmm, bliss. You just didn't get coffee like this at the base. While she wasn't as addicted as Daniel, she could appreciate a good cup of coffee as much as anyone.

She and the General had been in the coffee house for about an hour now, chatting casually about anything and everything. It was surprising how easily they could just chat like regular people, considering how much dancing they'd done around each other.

He produced a dog-eared piece of paper. "I want examples."

"Sir?"

"This list you made of my ... qualities," he said and she went pink. "I want examples."

She could kill him right now. It would be worth the court martial. She remembered writing the list during that boring briefing, but couldn't remember exactly what she'd written. "Let's not and just say we did, sir," she muttered.

He gave a low laugh. "I outrank you, Carter," he pointed out. He tapped the paper. "So ... examples. Now."

She could do this. She would do this. Then she would buy a gun. And shoot him dead. "Fine," she grumbled. "Give me the list," she said.

He handed it over and she promptly screwed it up and stuffed it into the coffee pot.

"A-ah! Carter; you think I didn't make copies?" He made a tsking sound. "I might not be the greatest with technology, but even I know how to work a Xerox machine."

Oh, yes. One dead Major General. Shot by a crazed blonde Lieutenant Colonel.

He dug in his pocket and produced another sheet of paper. "Carter ... you know I'm just gonna keep bugging you till you give in, right?"

Her eyes closed. She knew it.

He grinned - a wide open grin much like the one he'd worn when she'd been stuffed into that blue and white Shavadai dress. Leavenworth wouldn't be that bad, she decided. Solitary, clean, hard work, no annoying two-stars.

He flicked a long elegant finger to the sheet then cleared his throat ostentatiously. "Argumentative."

"You and Daniel," she replied instantly.

He smirked. "Can't deny that."

+++++++++++++++


"Funny."

Sam smiled. She was getting more comfortable with this as he went through the list. And this was an easy personality trait to discuss. "The first time I thought you were funny? When you called Samuels Mister Glass Is Half Empty at our first briefing."

"I knew it," he said triumphantly. "I thought you grinned at that."

"Well ... you were such an ass at first," she said, choosing not to add that he'd been a very sexy ass. "It was nice to see you had a sense of humor."

"Back atcha," he replied. "And what was with that line about reproductive organs?" He gave a shudder. "Just ... eeuuuuwww!"

"I was nervous, sir," she replied, reflecting that he sounded about 14 with that comment. "And when I get nervous, I get defensive."

"Noticed that."

+++++++++++++++


"Loving." He eyed her thoughtfully. "And careful here, Sam. I got my bad-ass General rep here to consider."

This was more difficult territory. The General didn't deal well with discussions of emotion. Yet he could be one of the most tender, giving and sweet - yes, sweet - men around.

The way he hugged someone - so rare, yet so right. If he'd been genuinely uncomfortable with hugging, you would have felt it in that contact. But Jack O'Neill hugs were ... wonderful. The way his arms came right round you, a hand to the back of your head, face ducking into your neck ...

Sam Carter had never been much of a hugger. After her mom had died, her dad had withdrawn even further into his work, and he'd never been good at hugging, anyway. It had taken him blending with Selmak to make him into a Dad rather than a father.

And the relationships she'd had had been mostly based on sex. Except for Pete. Pete had definitely been a hugger, and she'd liked it. He was another one who was good at hugging, and he had no reason to suppress his need to touch her. She'd cared for him - she'd agreed to marry him ... But when the General's arm had come around her in that Obs room in a rare hug, she'd known that Pete's most ardent love-making couldn't make her feel what that tender touch of the General's had.

The General had a lot of love to give, and it was unfair that he was alone. He deserved it all. Wife, children, grandchildren in a few years scrambling all over him for funny stories.

Children ...

"Kids," she said. Jack O'Neill and kids - one of the greatest combinations ever seen.

His mouth tipped up in a half smile and he lifted his fresh cup of coffee to her in a silent toast. "Yeah; I love kids," he said.

+++++++++++++++


"Optimistic." He eyed her like she'd sprouted wings or something. "Me?" He snorted quietly into his coffee cup. "Remember; I'm the miserable, cynical old General here."

She returned his snort with one of her own. "Yes; you can be cynical, but you're also one of the most optimistic men I know," she said. "The way you refuse to leave people behind; there's always a Plan B; we'll always get out." She smiled at him. "The way you always expect me to pull a miracle out of thin air."

He gave her a wide smile. "Ah, c'mon, Carter! You ..." - he looked around and dropped his voice to a low murmur - "you blew up a sun for God's sake! If you don't want people to think you're a bright, sexy genius, then don't act like one."

"Sexy?"

"Yeah," he said simply. "Especially during those few months when you strolled around the base in BDUs and a black tank top." He rolled his eyes. "What's with you and sweet little tank tops, anyway?"

She absolutely refused to go red, remembering the last time he'd referred to a sweet little tank top. "You know, sir," she said, "I still have that gray tank top."

He gasped and put a hand to his heart. "Oh, Carter; way too much information for an old guy," he said, waggling his eyebrows.

She laughed. "Thought you'd like that," she teased. "And, by the way, you're not an old guy."

+++++++++++++++


They left the coffee house and stepped out onto the quiet sidewalk. Sam was surprised to find it had grown dark, and looked at her watch. "Wow; it's 2230," she said.

"Sam ... Don't laugh," Jack warned suddenly.

"What?" she said cautiously; she could swear her face was hurting from how much they had laughed during the evening.

"I want to walk you home."

She smiled. "That's ... sweet, Jack," she said.

"Sweet?" He grimaced. "Leave it out!"

"No; it is," she said. She reached over and linked her fingers with his, enjoying the touch of the long slender hands with their rough fingertips, and relishing the fact that it was no longer forbidden. "And I'd like you to walk me home."

"Cool." Then he heaved his shoulders. "Sam; I'm too long in the tooth for hand-holding," he said. He unlinked their fingers then slid his arm around her shoulders. "Better," he said with a smirk.

"Yeah," Sam replied with her own smirk. She slid her own arm under his leather jacket - Jack O'Neill and leather jackets; another great combination - and round his waist as they walked along the quiet street.

+++++++++++++++


Sam opened her door. "Thanks for tonight, Jack," she said, twirling her key chain on her index finger. "I had fun."

He smiled warmly. "Me too." He brushed a soft kiss over her cheek. "I'm in town for a couple more days. Want to do this again?"

"Yeah, sure, ya betcha!" she said.

He grinned. "Smart ass." He dipped his head and pressed a sweet soft kiss to her lips. "By the way, you never did give me an example of the last thing you wrote."

She blinked at him, knocked off balance by the unexpected sensuousness of the chaste caress. "W-what?"

His wonderful brown eyes danced under her porch light. "You know, Colonel," he taunted.

Smug SOB. She grabbed the lapels of his jacket and swung him round so that his back was to the wall then slid her hands into his thick riotous hair and kissed him. He gasped and she took advantage of his surprise to slip her tongue into his mouth, tasting the coffee and mints he'd had.

She didn't retain control for long, though. Jack's hands slipped down her back to press her tightly against him and stroked his tongue along hers.

"Jack ... wait," she gasped, only now remembering that they were out in public.

He pulled back. "Sam?" he said huskily, his lips swollen from the passionate kiss.

"Not out here," she said, grabbing his hand. "Come in?"

+++++++++++++++


Sam woke up, wondering why her back felt like it was on fire, then she felt a hair-rough chin scrubbing gently on her bare shoulder as soft lips kissed her neck. "Mornin', Sam," a sleep-roughened voice said.

She turned over and surveyed him. Eyes puffy from sleep, lips swollen with kisses, hair sticking up all over and ... nude. Major General Jack O'Neill lay in her bed completely bare-ass naked. And Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter lay in her bed completely bare-ass naked.

So much for conversation! Not that they'd ever really needed to talk - they'd often been able to communicate verbally. "Morning," she replied, putting a hand to his cheek and kissing him. "Gah. You have horrible morning breath," she added, pulling a face.

"Yours ain't so great either," he said then levered himself out of bed, completely unabashed by his nudity. She watched his ass appreciatively as he strode over to her en suite - he really was a fine figure of a man. "Where's the toothpaste, Sam?" he called.

"Cabinet," she called back, stretching her limbs carefully. What a night! She ached pleasantly in places that hadn't ached for a while and regretted that she'd let her exercise routine slip whilst at Area 51. Major General Jack O'Neill was incredibly fit and energetic ... and let's not forget creative, her smutty mind reminded her.

"Holy buckets," she mumbled, feeling ... feelings. She'd forgotten how good this can't keep your hands off each other part of a relationship could be.

"What's that, Sam?" he said, strolling back out and running a hand through his hair, attempting to smooth the unruly strands. No chance. The cowlicks firmly refused to be tamed, and she wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

She was no shy virgin. She flung back the covers and patted the space beside her. "Get back into bed," she ordered. "We're not done yet."

He whooped with laughter and dropped down beside her. "Toothpaste first, ma'am," he ordered in return.

She saluted. "Yes, sir!" Then she grabbed his head and kissed him hard, exploring that warm mouth, those thin sensitive soft lips, the sensuous tongue. "Mmmm ... yummy."
Turning the Tables - 1 by Aussie
Sam Carter turned in her bed as she felt movement beside her. "Whatcha doing?" she mumbled sleepily, hugging the man and burying her head in his chest.

Jack dropped a gentle kiss onto her forehead. "Have to go to DC," he said. "Urgent meeting with the big guy."

"Crap," she muttered, opening her eyes and letting go.

"Yeah," he agreed, standing up and pulling on the jacket of his dress blues. "I'll make it up to you, Sam," he promised.

"I know," she replied. She watched him appreciatively as he ran a comb through his hair. She'd spent almost all her adult life in the Air Force - had seen hundreds of men in a uniform - but there was just something about Jack O'Neill in dress blues ...

They'd been together now for over six months, and she never tired of looking at him. Broad shoulders, tanned skin, deep brown eyes, gray hair that stuck up at the back - the man was gorgeous and he didn't even know it. Definitely yummy.

She snickered silently - who knew kick-ass USAF Colonel Sam Carter could be such a sap? Not that she'd put him on a pedestal or anything. She loved the man, but he had the ability to piss her off more easily than any man she'd ever known. And that included that twerp McKay.

Jack adjusted his tie with a grimace then came back over to the bed. "I'll call you tonight," he said then pressed a soft kiss to her lips.

"Mmmmm, 'kay," she said against his lips.

+++++++++++++++


Sam tucked her seat under the table and sipped her diet soda while perusing the menu. God, she was starving! There was something about mall-hopping that always brought out her inner glutton.

"Sam? Sam Carter?"

She turned and looked at the woman standing at her table. Small, slim, brown hair and green eyes. She looked familiar ... "Oh, my God ... Kate!" she said, getting up to hug her old room-mate from college.

"Sam. God, you haven't changed!"

"You have," Sam said, indicating the belly her old friend hugged protectively.

Kate sat down with a sigh. "My third," she said. "So much for the never getting married, never having kids thing, huh?"

"You were pretty drunk when you made that vow," Sam reminded her.

"Oh, yeah." Kate eyed Sam. "So ... what about you? No ring on that finger. I take it you didn't marry ... whatsisface ... Jonas?"

"No."

"Good. He was creepy; thought he was a minor deity or something," Kate opined.

If you only knew how true that became!, Sam thought. "I'm about to order; you want to catch up for a while?" she asked.

"Yeah; I'd like that," Kate said, maneuvering her body into a more comfortable position. "So ... are you seeing someone?"

"Yep," Sam said. "His name's Jack O'Neill."

"An Irish boy?" Kate grinned. "You always liked the Irish guys."

And how, Sam reflected. Jonas Hansen, Pete Shanahan, Jack O'Neill ... all Irish boys, and couldn't be any more different from each other. "He's not your typical Irish guy," she said. "Never been big on the talking, but he's got other skills that make up for it." Oh yeah, baby ...

"So ... tell me more about him. I know you joined the Air Force - does he have a problem with that?"

Sam chuckled. "No; he's Air Force, too," she said.

"Jack O'Neill ... Jack O'Neill." Kate frowned then clicked her fingers. "The new guy at the Pentagon - heads up NORAD and the Groom Lake facility."

"Yes ...," Sam said warily. How did a civilian know who Jack was?

"My husband's based at the Pentagon," Kate said. "Must be some pretty crazy stuff going on in O'Neill's branch - every other word out of Ray's mouth is 'classified'."

"Ah."

"So ... Jack O'Neill." Kate frowned slightly. "Isn't he a bit old for you? He's got to be ... what? Over 50?"

Sam shrugged. "Don't care," she said. The man had the strength and stamina of a man half his age - likely due to those horrible sarcophagi - and ... he was damn hot. She dug in her purse and produced a picture she'd taken recently of Jack laughing with Cassie. "That's him," she said.

Kate looked at the picture then patted her heart. "Oh, boy," she said. "Sam; I'm in the horny phase of my pregnancy - you should not have shown this to me!"

Sam laughed. "He is gorgeous," she agreed. Especially in those rare unguarded moments when everything he felt would shine out through those beautiful brown eyes.

"So ... any plans for marriage?"

"No!" Sam was horrified at the idea. Not that she hadn't thought about it - especially in those blissful post-coital moments - but she knew they weren't ready yet. "No; it's too soon. We've only been together six months, for crying out loud!"

Then she closed her eyes. God; she was starting to talk like him. Why not just get 'His' and 'Hers' towels and have done with it?

"Well, you should." Kate handed the photo back. "Someone like him isn't going to be on the market forever."

+++++++++++++++


"Hey, Sam!"

Six months and she still got a stupid grin on her face when he called her. The man had turned her into an adolescent! "Jack," she said. "How did your meeting go?"

"Pretty good," Jack said easily. "The big guy sends his greetings, by the way."

"The President?" she squeaked. "President Hayes?"

"He likes you," Jack said, "though he thinks you're nuts for putting up with me for this long."

Jack O'Neill - the man she loved - was friends with the most powerful man in the whole damn country. That was just ... weird. "Oh," she said lamely.

"Fraid I won't be able to make it home this week," he continued. Home. He said that so casually. "But I want to make it up to you. So ... what can I do?"

She thought then an evil grin appeared on her face. "Daniel found a list you wrote about me," she said. "I want examples."

Silence.

Dead.

Dumbstruck.

Silence.

She wanted to giggle and clamped down on that urge. "Jack?" she cooed in her best solicitous voice.

"He ... found it?" That was a distinct croak from the big bad-ass Major General. "And he gave it to you?"

"Yep." And now she giggled. "Sorry."

"No. It's ... fine. It's cool. Gonna kill one geeky archeologist or ... tie him to Vala next time they meet," he rambled. "You're serious, Sam?"

"Oh, yeah," Sam purred.
Turning the Tables - Interlude by Aussie
Daniel Jackson - nose in a book (as usual!) - wandered into his office and stretched out a hand to his phone. "Hello?"

"Daniel ..."

"Jack?" Funny how he could recognize the voice of his former CO, still best friend and constant pain in the ass. Even from Arlington, Virginia.

"You know how much I hate cliches, but you need to hear this one. Watch your back, Daniel."

"Jack?"

"You heard me; your ears don't flap over."

And Jack O'Neill - Major General and one of the most powerful men in the States - put down his bright red phone with a childish grin.
Turning the Tables - 2 by Aussie
"Ah, c'mon, Sam!" the man whined. Yep; he whined. She'd never realized his low baritone voice could even get that high.

"A-ah!" she said quickly. "No welching, Jack!"

"Fine," he grumbled and looked at the list, pinching the bridge of his nose with a pained expression. "What d'you want to hear first?"

"Fun," Sam said promptly. Much of what she found fun tended to glaze Jack's eyes over. He'd even once asked her not to suck the fun out of everything. "I know I'm your favorite geek, but I'm not that much fun at times."

"You're not a geek, Sam. Felger's a geek," Jack said. "You ... you're an egghead. There's a difference."

He gave her an angelic smile, but she wasn't about to touch that one with a staff weapon. "You think I'm fun."

"You can be," Jack said. "Fixing up your Indian on the base?" He smirked at her. "And for a cautious scientist, you sure had fun on that Loop of Kon Garat." He gave a melodramatic sigh. "I was stuck in diplomatic meetings and you were out there getting your kicks. No justice!"

She gave him her own smirk. "Well, that's what they paid you the big Colonel bucks for," she said, choosing not to comment on the fact that he'd actually recalled an alien name correctly. Since they'd gotten together, he'd become less shy about showing off his intelligence. Though she still didn't know his IQ.

+++++++++++++++


"Joyful." Another thing she wasn't sure about. Sure, since meeting this man she'd learned to take pleasure in the simple things, but the joy had been rare in her life.

"The way your eyes shine when you're on the verge of some break-through or when you find an element I can barely pronounce. D'you know how much I loved to watch you spout babble at me simply for how big those eyes of yours could get?"

"Oh, please." She gave an inelegant snort and took another spoon of ice cream. "Your eyes glazed over within seconds of me speaking."

"Well, I never claimed to understand what you were saying. But ..." - here Jack went a little pink and toyed with his fork - "... your enthusiasm and passion were inspiring. It was such a breath of fresh for this cynical old soldier."

Sam felt a stupid tear spring to her eye. Jack O'Neill was never the greatest with words, but occasionally he could come out with something so wonderful that all she wanted to do was grab him and kiss him senseless. "Wow," she gulped.

Before she gave in to the tears, she decided to move on. "Kissable."

"What?" He shrugged innocently. "You're gorgeous and sexy. Of course I'd find you kissable."

"But ... we only kissed that one time!" Sam said, blushing at the memory. "And you didn't exactly enjoy it." Then she recalled. "Oh ... you kissed the other me. Doctor Carter."

He shifted and seemed inordinately interested in his empty plate. "Right," he muttered.

"Jack ...?"

"Sam?"

"You're hiding something," she accused.

"Am not."

"Jack; I'm not Daniel."

"Duh; I think I know that much, Sam."

"I'm not doing the monosyllabic debate with you." She leaned over the table and cupped his chin, bringing his eyes up to meet hers. "Come on. Fess up."

"Ah. Hmmmm." He cleared his throat, grumbled and wriggled. "Fine. Fine. Remember that whole thing with the loops?"

"Yes ...," Sam said cautiously. "Did you do something? You were staring at me across the briefing table with this ... sorta dreamy ... expression. Cat and the canary."

"Hmmm!" More grumbling and wriggling. "Well ... It's Daniel's fault. He said if we knew the loop was going to reset itself, then we could ... do anything we wanted. With no consequences."

"Ah." She decided to turn the screws a little more. "So; what did you do?"

He grinned. "Played golf through the 'gate," he said. "Hit one all the way to Alaris - a new record."

"And ...?"

"Taught T how to juggle; the man's a natural. Threw pots. Rode a bike through the corridors." He gave yet another cough - he was starting to sound like Schrodinger with a hairball! "And I resigned."

"Resigned? What for?"

"Stand up."

"Jack?"

"Humor me, Sam. Stand up."

Eyeing him warily, Sam got to her feet. "Okay; I'm listening."

"Well ... I changed into civvies, went to the control room and handed Hammond my resignation. And you asked me why." Suddenly he took her face in his hands and covered her lips with his. He turned and dipped her, and she found she was forced to wrap her arms round his neck to keep her balance. The kiss ended and he set her upright. "So I could do that," he added roughly.

"Wow," she squeaked. "And ... did I respond?"

Now his grin was a full-on Jack O'Neill little-boy grin. "You sure did. That's one sweet memory." He eyed her a little anxiously. "You're not pissed, are you?"

Lips tingling from the man's kiss, Sam shook her head. "No," she said. "I'm kinda pissed I don't remember it, but I'm flattered." He raised his eyebrows. "Really!" she said. "I mean ... all the things you could've done and you chose to kiss me."

+++++++++++++++


Sam braced herself for the last thing on his list. "Tormented."

"Sam; what you went through with Jolinar ... then on Netu. And with that bastard Fifth." Jack took her hands in his and stroked his thumbs over the backs. "You think I don't know you still have nightmares about that son of a bitch?"

Tears sprang to her eyes again. God, she was so emotional lately! "Jack ...," she murmured.

"Then there's the crap you torture yourself for - the stuff you blame yourself for. Like those Eurondans who died against the iris. Or when the Replicator version of you managed to get that cipher-thing."

Sam closed her eyes at that. "Because of me; she destroyed so much. Because of me."

"Hey! I approved the mission, remember? I made a bad call - I should have seen you were too close to the situation."

She opened her eyes and regarded the man she loved. He bore so much guilt, yet he had the joie de vivre of someone much younger, much more innocent. "How d'you do it, Jack?" she said. "How do you deal with the guilt?"

He didn't even pretend to not know what she was talking about. "It's a cliche, but one day at a time. Each day, it's a little easier. I can sometimes forget, but I can never forgive myself. Especially for ... Charlie."

She linked her fingers with his and drew each hand up to her lips, bestowing a soft tender kiss on each one. "Thank you," she said.

She got up from the table and pulled him up. "Jack ...," she said uneasily, pulling her top lip in between her teeth.

"What is it?" he said.

She closed her eyes, not knowing how to tell him. Oh, hell! Just do it, Sam! He has the right to know! "Jack ... I'm pregnant."

His eyes went wide and his mouth opened and closed several times. Then he let go of her hands and stormed out of the living room. "Oh, God ...," she whispered. You should have waited! He's just mentioned Charlie and you spring this on him? Nice timing, idiot!

She went to the bedroom hesitantly then paused when she heard drawers slamming. "Damn! Damn, damn, damn!" she heard him muttered.

She closed her eyes, feeling the tears drip down her cheeks. He didn't want this child. For all he was so good with kids - they'd always been other people's kids. Maybe he thought he didn't deserve it; that he was too old, too jaded, too ... whatever.

The door opened and she wiped a hand hastily over her face. "Jack? Are you ... okay?" she asked.

His face was flushed and his hair stuck up madly. "What? Oh, yeah!" he said. He took her chin and kissed away a stray tear. "Sam ... you kinda stole my thunder," he added then took her hand and led her into the bedroom. "Sit down and ... humor an old guy, huh?"

Now thoroughly confused, Sam did so, and he sat down next to her. "Samantha Jean Carter; ass-kicking egghead and mother of my child." He gave her a huge shit-eating grin. "I'm not one for speeches, but I love you. and I want to marry you."

She gaped at him.

"So ... will you?"

She continued gaping.

"Carter!"

The familiar CO bark snapped her out of her fugue and she stared into Jack's handsome face. He dug in his pocket and produced a small black velvet box. "Saw this a couple months ago, and it just said 'Sam'," he said. He flicked open the box to reveal a platinum ring with a simple square-cut sapphire flanked by two diamonds. "Sam; say something, for cryin' out loud!" he added. "Even if it's only a call to the nearest psych ward."

The ring was gorgeous, and just what she would have picked for herself if given the choice. How did he know her so well? "Oh, God ...," she gulped, tears sliding down her cheeks. "God, Jack! I love you!" she said. "And yes!"

He heaved a huge sigh. "Thank God; you were killing me there!" He took her left hand and slid the ring onto her fourth finger. "Fits perfectly," he said proudly. He tilted her chin upward and gave her the sweetest, most gentle kiss ever. "Thank you, Sam," he added seriously.

She slid her arms around him then ducked her head into his neck, giving the soft skin a kiss. "For what?" she mumbled, now incredibly sleepy. Damn pregnancy hormones!

"For loving me."

"Always," she muttered, closing her eyes and allowing herself to drift away in Jack's strong arms.
End Notes:
Now we move on to the Daniel/Vala Vaudeville Show!
A Good Day Gone Bad - 1 by Aussie
Doctor Daniel Jackson was in a really good mood. He'd finally found a coffee house that made the perfect latte, no-one had tried to kill him for several months, and next week he would depart on the Daedalus for a month-long dig in the Ida galaxy. Bliss.

"Morning, Daniel."

The other reason he was in such a good mood lately. "Morning, Sam."

Jack O'Neill and Sam Carter - two of his greatest friends in the whole universe - had finally quit kidding themselves and gotten their acts together. They'd now been married just over four months, and Sam was six months pregnant. With twins. Jack had worn the biggest most stupid grin Daniel had ever seen for two days straight after Doctor Lam had given him that little gem.

He smiled at the blonde scientist. Sam had always been a beautiful woman but now ... now she was truly happy. And it showed. Daniel was no fonder of cliches than Jack, but she truly glowed. Jay Felger had gotten even more tongue-tied around her lately - possibly scared of the wrath of Jack O'Neill if he flirted.

Yet Jack was a surprisingly unpossessive husband. He was secure in Sam's love for him and was thrilled at his second chance at a family. Daniel had met the man just after Charlie's death and had witnessed him change gradually from the suicidal angry man he had been to the happy contented family man he now was. Pain in the ass that he often was, Jack deserved happiness. Perhaps more than anyone Daniel had ever known.

Jack was still Head of Homeworld Security, although he'd been making increasingly loud noises about retiring - noises to which the President and the Joint Chiefs turned an amiably deaf ear. They'd even placed something called a 'stop loss' on his file for the next year, meaning that Jack wouldn't be allowed to retire. The only way out of the Air Force for him would be desertion; which would mean court martial and jail.

Jack had not been a happy camper when he'd learned of the stop loss, but Sam, Daniel and Teal'c had managed to convince him he was too young to retire anyway.

"Unauthorized off-world activation!" the PA rang out. "All defense units on standby!"

Daniel skipped neatly to one side and tugged Sam with him as a bunch of SFs flooded down the corridor toward the embarkation room. "Huh; wonder who we've managed to piss off this time?" he commented wryly.

Sam chuckled at that comment. "I think you've spent way too much time with Jack," she said affectionately.

Maybe. Daniel knew he'd changed a lot since he'd met then Colonel Jack O'Neill over a decade ago. He'd hardened - and not just in the physical sense. But he'd only truly realized it when Mitchell had called him a damn good soldier.

Doctor Daniel Jackson. The man with the perpetually-sliding glasses and allergies. The man who'd barely known which way to point a gun ten years ago had become a soldier.

A few years ago, he might have been offended at being likened to a soldier. But he now had a great respect for the military establishment and was honored to be associated with the brave and noble people who made up the SGC.

"Doctor Jackson to the embarkation room!" the PA barked out.

Daniel smiled at Sam as she went off to her own lab - she'd stopped going off-world last month - and headed for the embarkation room. He strolled in and approached Cameron. "Hey, Cam," he offered. "What's going on?"

Cameron Mitchell, SG-1's co-Commander, looked at Daniel and sighed tiredly before stepping to one side. "Look who's back," he said.

"Daniel Jackson," said a very familiar, very purring voice.

Vala Mal Doran.

Daniel sighed heavily and looked at Vala's beautiful face. She was a thief, a liar, a certifiable whack-job. But, God help him, she was sexy as hell. "What d'you want?" he asked rudely. He couldn't help it; she brought out the worst in him.

The lithe woman tossed her long black hair and pouted. "That's not a very nice welcome after so long apart, Daniel," she said, a small smile tilting her lips. She sashayed over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "I've missed you."

He slid out of her grasp. "The feeling's not mutual," he assured her, glaring at her.

"Fine!" Vala said. "I have some intelligent on the Ori, but if you're not interested ...". She looked around the embarkation room, seeming to enjoy the Daniel/Vala show.

Cameron sighed this time - funny how this woman brought that out in everyone. "Vala; you know the routine," he said. "Report to the Infirmary then we'll debrief."

Vala smiled - a dazzling one that made half the SFs simply gape. "Yes, Commander!" she said, throwing him a mocking salute.

Another sigh. "That's Colonel, Vala," Cameron said patiently.

Vala shrugged. "I keep seeing you in black leather and being a Commander." Her dark eyes raked his form lustily and Daniel snickered when the bold, brave Lieutenant Colonel took a step backward. "You'd look very sexy all in leather, Colonel - ever thought about it?"

"Jackson!" Cameron sighed. "Take Vala to the Infirmary then escort her to the briefing room. "I'll go speak to the General."

+++++++++++++++


"God; I wish I wasn't stuck in DC!" Major General Jack O'Neill complained. "I'd love to meet this woman who has Daniel so in knots!"

"I know," Sam consoled him from her phone at the SGC. "I'll take notes, though."

"It isn't the same," her husband said childishly. "Hmmm ... I haven't dropped by for a while. And there's those quarterly statistics I need to review with Hank. "

"Jack ... you don't need to fly here just for that," Sam warned. He could be such a child at times.

"I haven't seen you for nearly two weeks either," Jack said. "Aren't you overdue for a Jack O'Neill patented massage?"

Sam growled under her breath at the memory of those strong clever fingers rubbing away the kinks in her back brought on by the twins, those strong clever fingers smoothing lotion into the ever-lengthening stretch marks on her stomach. Damn, the man had skills. She shivered at the erotic memory of what had followed the massage. "As soon as you can get out of there, O'Neill; get your ass on a plane!" she ordered.

She was pretty sure she heard him snicker at that. "Yes, ma'am!" he said softly.

+++++++++++++++


Much later that day:

Daniel escorted Vala out of the briefing room, sighing when she put a hand on his butt and squeezed it. The woman just didn't know how to take 'No' or 'Get lost' for an answer. "I'll show you to your quarters," he said.

Then he saw a tall, very familiar figure heading their way. Oh God, no! Jack O'Neill. And Vala Mal Doran. Either one of them was capable of creating galaxy-wide chaos on their own. But together ...?

"Daniel!" Jack said exuberantly, strolling up to them. "And you must be Vala," he said.

"I am indeed," Vala purred, slipping her hand through his arm. "And who are you?"

Jack blinked then smiled widely at Daniel. "Jack O'Neill."

"Oh, you're Jack?" Vala smiled her own wide smile. Daniel had the sudden image of being surrounded by sharks. "I've heard a lot about you, but I thought you'd be ... older."

Jack gave a sudden yelp and Daniel smirked - yep; Major General Jack O'Neill had just been goosed by a former Goa'uld. "Don't let the boyish good looks fool you, Vala," he said, stepping away lightly. "I'm really very old. Not like our Daniel."

Daniel closed his eyes as Vala's hand landed once more on his own butt. How had such a good day gone bad so quickly?
A Good Day Gone Bad - 2 by Aussie
Several days later:

Vala Mal Doran was bored.

Insanely bored.

The last time she'd been on this planet, she'd been bound literally to one Daniel Jackson - the very attractive human she'd met when she'd hijacked the large clumsy ship he'd been on.

But now he'd gone to ground somewhere in the bowels of this mountain, and she couldn't find him. As a thief, she was very good at finding things and people that didn't want to be found, but she was finding her skills sorely lacking in this instance.

The people here had very little sense of humor and just would not cooperate when she asked where the good Doctor was.

She allowed a small smile to curl her lips when she saw another very attractive human. A lot older than Daniel, but handsome still. Jack O'Neill. Tall, gray hair and dancing brown eyes. And he had a sense of humor. Maybe there was hope for the Tauri.

"Hello, Jack," she said, placing a hand on one of her firm hips. What was that Tauri saying? If you've got it, flaunt it.

He gave her a quick grin as well as an appreciative look up and down, but didn't seem personally affected by her as a female. "Hey, Vala," he said. "Heard you were looking for Daniel?"

"Yes." Vala effected a pout. "I thought he'd grown to like me."

Jack looked at her assessingly then mischief lit up his face. "Oh, I'm sure he does, Vala," he said. "He's just ... shy."

"Ah." Vala nodded her head. That would explain a lot about the handsome Tauri's behavior toward her. She saw a tall blonde Tauri come over to Jack. "Sam," she said to the woman.

"Vala," the other woman replied, putting a hand on her distended abdomen. "Jack; General Landry's looking for you."

"Oy!" Jack sighed, his hand going to his forehead as if he felt pain. "Remind me why I took this job, will ya?"

"Because you look very sexy in your uniform," Vala said, noting with pleasure how the blue fabric emphasized his broad shoulders and long legs.

"Excuse me?" Sam said, looking daggers at Vala. "I thought you were interested in Daniel?"

Vala shrugged. "I am, but it doesn't mean I don't have eyes," she said. She looked at the Tauri female. "You're acting like you have a claim on him."

"I do. He's mine. Get lost," Sam said, slipping an arm around Jack's waist.

"Ah." Vala smiled. She could appreciate such bluntness. "Well, congratulations." She looked again at the two Tauri - they appeared well suited to each other. "I was just flirting, Sam," she said. "You should try it sometime; it does a girl's ego wonders."

Sam smiled suddenly. "I could use an ego boost at six months gone," she admitted. "I'm going to the commissary for some ice cream if you'd like to join me." She glared fiercely at Jack. "Seeing as someone forgot to stock up last night."

Jack held up his hands in the near universal gesture of surrender. "I'm sorry, Sam," he said then aimed a sweet smile at her. "I'll make it up to you tonight, huh?" He waggled his eyebrows. "Another massage, maybe?"

Sam shivered. "Okay; you're forgiven. You may be an ass, but you're my ass." She turned to Vala, who'd been watching his interaction with delight. Another Tauri with a sense of humor. She could come to like this world. "After you, Vala," she said then turned to Jack. "Jack; General Landry," she prompted.

"Ah. Right." Jack cleared his throat then turned and strode off along the corridor.

"Vala; were you looking at Jack's ass?" Sam asked as he'd turned the corner.

"What?" Vala shrugged innocently. "It's a very nice rear. Don't you think?"

Sam laughed. "Yeah," she admitted. "I never get tired of looking at it."

+++++++++++++++


Daniel peered warily out of the empty lab and saw Jack strolling past, hands plunged in pockets as usual. "Jack," he hissed.

Jack looked around and smirked. "Still hiding from Vala, huh?" he asked.

Daniel pinched the bridge of his nose. "She's driving me nuts," he said. "D'you know where she is now?"

"In the commissary with Sam," his best friend replied.

"With Sam? Sam and Vala? Together?" Daniel could only imagine what the two women could come up with if they put their beautiful heads together - and it wasn't pretty. The words destruction on an inter-galactic scale came to mind.

"Yep." Jack now wore a mischievous grin. "Ah, don't worry, Daniel; I'm sure Sam's talking you up very nicely."

Daniel shot Jack a death glare. "So help me, Jack; you're not funny," he said. "Anyway, aren't you expected back at the Pentagon?"

Jack stuffed his hands in his pockets. "I've taken some leave," he told Daniel. "Thought I'd spend some time catching up with my good friends here at the SGC."

Oh God. That look in Jack's eyes - the one he used to wear when baiting Goa'uld or NID operatives - was back. Daniel had the sinking feeling that Jack was going to be no help in keeping Vala away from him. Would in fact aid and abet the alien whack-job. Jack was evil that way.

Daniel Jackson was not a happy camper. But Vala would only be here two more days. He could take two more days of this. Two more days of ducking into unused labs, having the SFs regard him as if he were nuts, Jack's incessant teasing.

And now Vala had an accomplice in her madness. As Jack would say: Oy!
A Good Day Gone Bad - 3 by Aussie
Only one day to go. Then the alien whack-job would be heading back to ... wherever the hell she'd sprung from and he'd be off to Ida.

The door to his lab opened and ... yep, the alien whack-job herself sauntered in, hands stuffed into the pockets of her absurdly tight denim jeans. Nice legs, the guy part of Daniel commented before he could shut it up. And since when had she started putting her hands in her pockets?

Since she'd met one Major General Jack O'Neill and decided to become best buddies with him and Sam, he reminded himself with a silent groan. "Vala," he said politely. He could do polite - he only had one more day to put up with her.

"Daniel," she said, pulling her hands out of her pockets and sending a dazzling smile to a passing SF. The SF blinked then returned the smile - in a rather goofy fashion, Daniel thought.

What was it with the guys on this base?, he mused. Could they not see that she was nuts? Insane? Whacko? Three fries short of a Happy Meal? All they seemed to see was the beautiful face, the long silky hair, the hot body, the ...

Shut up!, he screamed at himself.

"Is there something I can do for you?" he inquired as she plopped herself down in front of his computer.

She gave him a wide smile. "Now, there's a loaded question!" she said then stretched her hand out to grab a framed picture. "Who's this?" she asked.

Daniel swallowed hard. It had been so many years since Sha're had died, yet a small part of him had never gotten over that loss. "Sha're," he said gruffly. She was so beautiful in that picture; so shy, so innocent.

"She's beautiful," Vala said quietly.

"Yes ... she was," Daniel agreed tightly.

Vala looked at him then put the picture gently back in its place. "I'm sorry, Daniel," she said. "I've never loved anyone like that," she added. "What was she like?"

Daniel felt a smile pull at his lips as he remembered. Sha're had been so loving, so gentle - yet merciless in her teasing of him. Especially when he attempted to grind the yufeta flour for their bread. "She was as beautiful inside as she was out," he said. "Her people were so different to mine - simple in some ways, complex in others. I think I fell in love with her the moment I saw her."

"Then you're a lucky man, Daniel," Vala said. "I'm not sure I believe in love myself - lust, definitely - but you do, and I'm glad you had that with Sha're."

Daniel just stared at her. Every time he thought he had her down as just a lying conniving nut-job, she came out with something so ... profound, so sincere. Damn the woman; would he ever understand her? "Thank you," he said roughly.

She gave him another wide smile. "Don't sound so surprised, Daniel Jackson," she said. "I can be nice sometimes."

+++++++++++++++


Vala looked at Daniel's blue eyes, which shimmered with a hint of remembered sadness, and decided that she much preferred him when he was mad than in this melancholy mood. For a long time, she'd assumed that he was naturally hot-tempered and impatient, until Sam had told her that Jack was the only other person who could inspire those reactions in him. Vala was flattered to realize that she could have such a profound effect on a mild-mannered linguist.

And the fact that he looked taller, broader and more powerful when angry - making him look far more sexy - had nothing to do with it. Absolutely not.

She snorted to herself at that. She could almost hear Jack saying 'And denial ain't just a river in Egypt'. Wherever Egypt was. She pushed a hand through her hair then leaned over to him. "So ... what're you doing?"

"I was running a timeline Boolean search for the various cults of ..."

"Never mind," Vala cut in quickly. "Maybe I don't want to know after all." She was far from unintelligent - a thief did not survive long by being stupid - but she knew that Daniel was far smarter than her.

Daniel gave her a small smile, the melancholy lifting slightly from his eyes. "So ... you were only asking because you were bored."

Vala shrugged. "Pretty much," she admitted, wondering what he'd look like if he were ever to smile fully at her. She knew he'd smiled at Sha're like that, and found herself envying the unknown woman. She shook her head quickly and dispelled the rogue thoughts. Vala Mal Doran did not become attached to people - particularly not handsome linguists with beautiful blue eyes.

Aaaarrrggghhh!

"Hey; you okay?" Daniel asked, sounding worried.

She shook her head. "I'm fine, Daniel," she said. "I have a bad habit of arguing with myself." She laughed lightly. "But you already thought I was insane, didn't you?"

A light flush shot up his cheekbones. "Ah ... yes," he offered. He shrugged those broad shoulders. "C'mon, Vala; I first met you when you single-handedly hijacked the Prometheus, for god's sake! You'd have to be a little nuts to do that!"

Vala laughed again; she had to admire his honesty. Unlike many of the men she'd met in her life, Daniel Jackson seemed to have very little guile. "Point taken," she admitted. She ran a hand through her hair, pleased to note that his eyes followed the movement. Despite his many protestations to the contrary, he was physically attracted to her. "So, Daniel; have you ever wondered what might have happened if we'd remained ... bound?"

"I would've killed you."

Vala winced. All right; so there was such a thing as too much honesty. "Excuse me?" she said.

"You drive me nuts, Vala," he explained. "You lie, you cheat, you steal, you connive. You're a ... a whack-job!" He shuddered. "The idea of being tied to you the rest of my life is horrifying."

"I see," Vala said, shocked to find that something in her chest hurt. She'd never truly realized that having your feelings hurt could cause a corresponding physical pain. But she knew better than to let him know. Never would she let anyone have that kind of power over her. She gave him a wide insincere smile and got up gracefully. "I'm bored again," she announced arrogantly. "And seeing as you're not likely to entertain me ..."

"I'm not," he assured her.

"I'll go and find something else to do," she finished.

+++++++++++++++


"Whatcha thinking about?" Jack inquired, coming in from the bathroom wearing just a towel around his waist and rubbing absently at his wet hair with a smaller towel.

God ... yummy. So very, very yummy.

Sam O'Neill blinked and forced her mind out of the gutter it seemed to occupy lately. She'd read somewhere that women sometimes got an increased libido during the second trimester. That was putting it mildly. She'd never been so wanton in her life. "I bumped into Vala today," she said.

Jack gave her a grin. "Ah. And how is our favorite alien nut-farm today?"

"I think she was crying, Jack," Sam said. "She just brushed past me and said she didn't want to talk about it. And she didn't even flirt with Cam."

Jack looked at her. "You think Daniel's ticked her off?" he said. "She's kinda stuck on him, and he doesn't seem to realize it."

"If she'd drop the act for more than five seconds, maybe he would," Sam said. "But ...". She sighed and stretched, knowing there was nothing she cuold do for Daniel and Vala. They would have to work this out between themselves.

Sam watched her husband dry his hair with a shiver of pleasure. She liked watching him. The way his muscles bunched as he moved, the way his hair never stayed in place, the gleam in his brown eyes as he saw her watching him. She'd been with him for just over a year - she no longer had to hide her appreciation of his ass ... ets.

"Ja-ack ...," she cooed, patting the bed.

He smirked. That smirk that had driven her wild with anger in the past but now drove her wild in an entirely different way. "Again?" he said.

"Yep," she said, pulling the sheets off to reveal the crimson satin teddy Vala had persuaded her to buy at the mall the previous day. Vala had been fascinated by the concept of mall-hopping and had purchased several items of lingerie for herself. Sam didn't even want to know where she'd gotten the money.

"Wow." Jack's eyes bugged out as he saw the skimpy piece of nothing. There was nothing tasteless about it, but it showed off her expanded bust rather nicely and skimmed over her abdomen and hips to end several inches above her knees.

Sam gave him her own smirk as he practically bounced into the bed - so much for old man! - and covered her lips with his.

Daniel and Vala were instantly forgotten.

+++++++++++++++


The next day:

Vala watched as the Stargate activated, the wormhole appearing with its customary whoosh, then gripped the backpack she'd been given by Jack to carry her new purchases. Vala Mal Doran traveled light, but she now had some possessions she did not want to part with. Several very sexy items of nightwear - that she'd never gotten to model for Daniel - included.

The man himself stood in the embarkation room with Sam and Jack, his arms folded against his chest. She sighed slightly. Such a nice chest ... why did he feel the need to hide it with that over-sized blue jacket?

"Well ... it was good to see you all again," she said then smiled at Jack and Sam. A genuine smile, not her usual one. She'd never had friends before, but she felt that these two Tauri had become her friends during the last few days. "And it was nice to meet you, Jack."

Sam came over and Vala was shocked when the blonde woman pulled her into a fierce hug. "Take care of yourself, Vala," she murmured.

Vala thought she heard Jack mutter something about hormones, but ignored him. "I always do," she said.

Sam tightened her grip momentarily then pushed something into her hand. Vala looked at it. A long slim device that looked something like a ... a remote control. "What's this?" she asked.

"A GDO," Sam said. She pushed some buttons on the device. "Just press that combination and we'll open the iris for you. So ... you have no excuse for not coming back."

Vala was stunned. By all the false gods. She'd never expected this. "Thank you," she muttered, surprised to find her throat closing.

Jack stepped forward. "Hey; enough with the mushy stuff!" he teased as a tear shimmered in Sam's eye. "Be good, ya hear me?" he told Vala. "For an ex snake-head, you're pretty cool."

Vala rolled her eyes, the tender moment having been thoroughly trampled upon. "And for a sarcastic, wise-cracking jarhead, you're ... pretty cool, too," she replied.

"I'm not a damn Marine, for cryin' out loud!" Jack complained then looked around at the chuckling SFs. They immediately fell silent under his death glare.

Then she turned to Daniel, who now sported a wide grin at Jack's indignation. "So, I'll see you again I hope," she said. "And I hope you enjoy your ... dig."

"Uh ... thanks," Daniel said. "Take care of yourself," he added.

"And you," she replied. She stepped over to him and ran a hand sensuously from his chin, down over to his chest and to his waistband. "I had a good time," she murmured, "but we could have had a great time, if only you'd been inclined."

She dug in her pocket and handed him an envelope. "I think you'll need this back," she added then strolled up the ramp, took a deep breath and stepped into the wormhole.

+++++++++++++++


Daniel sighed relief as the wormhole disengaged. He could finally breathe easily for the first time in days. Even better; Jack was due to go back to DC in a few hours, so the teasing would go down to practically zero.

"So ... what she give you, Daniel?" Jack asked.

Daniel shrugged then opened the envelope. A gold-colored card fell into his hand. A very familiar gold-colored card. "My credit card!" he breathed. That little witch had taken his credit card!

"Ah ... mystery explained," Sam said with a chuckle.

Daniel closed his eyes. All that mall-hopping she and Sam had done the last few days - how much of it had actually been on his dime? Ohhh, she had so better get her ass back here, because I'm going to kick it from here to Othalla!, he vowed.

Then he smiled suddenly. She was a thief, a liar, a certifiable whack-job. But, God help him, he'd actually grown to like her.
A Good Day Gone Bad - 4 by Aussie
Three months later:

Daniel Jackson had seen Jack in a restless mood before. The man was nearly always restless, after all. In fact, if you could harness his nervous energy, there'd be no need for ZPMs to get to the Pegasus Galaxy.

But there was restless, and there was restless. "I just ... I should be in there," Jack said, not stopping his stalking from one end of the Infirmary to the other. His eyes were wild, his hair even wilder, and he hadn't shaved for two days. The nursing staff had soon learned to make a hole for him, and were currently working around him.

After all, you did not cross a Major General. Especially one who was about to become a father.

"It's been thirty hours, Daniel!" Jack burst out. "I have to be in there with her."

"She indicated most strongly that you should stay here, O'Neill," Teal'c said, getting up and standing in front of Jack so that he was forced to stop.

Yeah; she'd bitten him on the hand when he'd tried to soothe her. And had sworn crudely in several languages Daniel had never realized she knew. He'd refused to translate the last insult, a little disturbed that he even knew what it meant. But he didn't think it was physically possible to do what she'd threatened.

"Jack!" A sharp cry came from the makeshift delivery unit and Carolyn Lam poked her dark head out from between the curtains.

"General O'Neill, sir; your wife wants you," she said, pushing a hand through her hair.

Jack shoved his own hand through his hair then squared his shoulders and disappeared behind the curtains.

Daniel heard him murmur something to Sam; she murmured something back. Then it was silent.

Deathly silent.

Daniel looked over at his other best friend. "Thirty hours is a long time," he said, able to admit his worry now that Jack had gone.

Teal'c nodded his head. "It is, but Colonel O'Neill is a strong woman - she will prevail," he said.

As if to prove his words, Sam gave a muted shriek then a lusty yell ran through the Infirmary. Jack's untidy silver head poked out through the curtains. "A boy!" he yelped before disappearing once more.

Daniel punched Teal'c in the shoulder; the usually eloquent linguist had no words for the joy he felt at the moment. "Yes!" he exulted. Teal'c just looked at him with a raised eyebrow and a small smirk.

"Unauthorized off-world activation!" the PA blared out. "All defense units on standby!"

+++++++++++++++


Vala Mal Doran stepped off the ramp and smiled beatifically at the group of SFs. "Stand down, boys," she said mockingly, waving her ... what was it again? Oh, right ... GDO.

She placed a hand on a hip and looked up at the control room, seeing the large form of General Landry standing there. A good solid leader with a slightly acidic sense of humor - she liked him quite well, although not as much as Jack and Daniel, her two favorite Tauri males.

Speaking of whom ...

"Where's Daniel?" she inquired sweetly of one of the SFs.

"In the Infirmary, ma'am!" he replied smartly.

Vala closed her eyes. He hadn't injured himself again, had he? He was quite accident-prone, after all. "Is he well?" she said, a little more anxiety showing in her tone than she was comfortable with. Why was she so drawn to the Tauri? It couldn't just be because of his handsome face and strong body. She'd felt sexual attraction on many occasions - had capitalized on her own attractiveness - but her feelings toward Daniel were different somehow.

That was worrying.

"Oh no, ma'am," the SF was quick to reassure her. "Colonel O'Neill is giving birth and she wanted all her friends there."

"Sam?" She looked up at General Landry, telegraphing her wish to go to the Infirmary.

The older man looked down at her then leaned into his mike. "Report to the Infirmary, Vala; we'll debrief later," he said.

Vala sent him a dazzling smile of thanks then headed out of the embarkation room and to the Infirmary.

It was surprising how much she had missed this place in the last few months. She was a wanderer by nature, never staying in one place too long, always searching out the next new thrill. Yet she'd come to enjoy Sam's friendship, Jack's sense of humor, Daniel's odd mixture of reticence and quick temper.

She walked into the Infirmary and slid her arms around Daniel's waist from behind, kissing the back of his neck. "Hello, handsome," she breathed.

He yelped and turned round. "Vala!" he said. "Uh ... what're you doing here?"

"What?" she asked innocently. "A girl can't drop by and catch up with an old friend?"

He narrowed his eyes at her. "Friends don't steal credit cards and go mall-hopping," he said.

Vala shrugged her shoulders. "I was bored," she explained.

Not surprisingly, Daniel was less than impressed with that explanation. "I'm not in the mood for one of your little head-games, Vala," he said, gripping her elbow with a surprisingly hard hand and leading her out into the corridor. "We're not here for your amusement. Perhaps you were a Goa'uld for so long you've forgotten that."

That hurt, but she wasn't going to let him see that. "I have none of your Earth currency, Daniel; how did you think I was going to purchase items?"

"You could have asked," Daniel said, gripping her arm even more tightly if possible. "I would have given you some money just to get you out of my hair. Or Jack. For some reason, Jack actually likes you. He would've helped you out." He looked her in the eyes. "But no ... you have to mess with people; lie, cheat and steal. And you wonder why no-one wants to be around you?"

Vala stared at the handsome Tauri, surprised at how badly his cutting words hurt her. She could usually laugh off people's dislike of her - after all, they were perfectly entitled to like or dislike her as they chose. So, why could she not do that this time? Was Daniel's opinion that important to her?

Unfortunately, it seemed so.

+++++++++++++++


Daniel let go of the infuriating woman's arm, not quite sure where all the anger had come from, and stalked back into the Infirmary. He was a little surprised when Vala didn't immediately follow him back in, but had to admit he was relieved also. She was such a ... such a ...

Beautiful, sexy woman?

Big, honkin' pain in the mikta! Daniel found the Goa'uld terminology very apt, considering who he was describing. He nudged his large Jaffa friend. "Anything more yet, Teal'c?" he asked.

"You must be patient, Daniel Jackson," Teal'c replied. "It has only been a few minutes since the first child was born - Doctor Lam indicated that it may be another hour before the second one is delivered."

Another muted cry came from Sam then another indignant wail sounded out.

"Or perhaps not," Teal'c added a trifle lamely.

One silver head poked out of the curtains again. "A girl!" Jack said, his grin so large it looked like his face was about to split in half.

"Congratulations, O'Neill," Teal'c said.

"Yeah, Jack; you deserve it," Daniel said. "Tell Sam we'll come see her soon, huh?" he added. "I think you guys deserve some time alone together."

"Right," Jack said and disappeared once more.

Daniel and Teal'c looked at each other. "A damn good day, huh?" Daniel said from around a massive yawn. God ... if he was tired from the long delivery, imagine how Sam must be feeling right now!

"Agreed, Daniel Jackson," Teal'c said. He dipped his head as they passed Vala, who was standing near the doorway looking remarkably subdued. "Hello again," he greeted the woman.

"Teal'c," she said. She aimed a small smile at Daniel. "So ... a boy and a girl? I bet Jack is thrilled."

Daniel was willing to accept an olive branch, especially as he had the uncomfortable feeling he might have gone too far and hurt her feelings. Yes; she drove him insane, but she didn't deserve to be treated like a common household pest. "I think he's going to be grinning like the Cheshire Cat for days to come!" he said.

"I will bid you good night, Daniel Jackson, Vala," Teal'c said. He gave another minute bow of his head then disappeared swiftly along the corridor.

Vala looked at Daniel Quizzically. "Are cats not a domesticated animal here? How do they smile?"

Daniel had to chuckle at that one. "Right, sorry," he said. "It's from a book written in our 19th century. It was considered quite subversive in its time. It's about a little girl who finds herself in a strange realm and what she goes through there."

Vala looked at him thoughtfully. "I ... see," she said. "I think this strange realm is birth, Daniel," she added. "You don't imagine anything about life actually makes sense, do you?"

Daniel considered that one. The woman had a point. After everything he had gone through in the last decade, he sometimes felt like all he had was more questions. "Hmmm," he grunted, deciding that he liked this thoughtful Vala. She was a lot more intelligent than she liked to act and had an interesting viewpoint on life. He squeezed the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger. "I need coffee," he said. "You want to join me?"

Vala smiled at him. Not the usual wide smile she gave but a softer, more gentle one. "All right," she said. She eyed him as they walked along the corridor. "I am ... sorry about taking your credit card," she said. "It didn't occur to me that you might be willing to help."

Somehow, Daniel thought he'd found the chink in Vala's armor. It had never occurred to her that people might want to help her; to share with her. The Goa'uld had taken from her; she had taken from everyone else. She felt alone. Daniel had been lonely for much of his life before that eventful trip to Abydos - he wouldn't wish it on anyone. "It's all right," he said, ushering her into the elevator. "So ... what did you buy?"

She gave him a slightly wider smile and patted the backpack Jack had given her. "They're in here," she said. "Maybe you'll get to see them tonight?"

He blinked at her then punched the button to take them to the commissary level. "Sorry?" he asked.

She snaked her arms around him and punched the stop button then nuzzled the back of his neck. "Nightwear, Doctor," she breathed. "Soft, revealing nightwear in a variety of colors and designs."

"Oh. Uhm ...". Her soft breath on the back of his neck and her curvy form pressing against him reminded him just how long it had been since he'd last been with a woman. And even though she was a complete nut-job, she was a beautiful, sexy one too.

He turned in her embrace and looked into the dark eyes. "You know; you've done nothing but infuriate me and confuse me since we met," he told her. He brushed some hair out of her eyes. "But there's ... something about you." He pressed a kiss to her lips then gave a muffled yelp when her hands slid down his back to squeeze his butt.

She was a thief.

She was a liar.

She was a certifiable whack-job.

But she was his thief, liar and certifiable whack-job.
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=4154