You can't save them all - can you? pt 10 by Whisper99
Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: Out Of The Frying Pan
Categories: Team - Seasons 1-5, 7-8 Characters: None
Episode Related: None
Genres: Mystery
Holiday: None
Season: None
Warnings: None
Crossovers: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 16440 Read: 5362 Published: 2004.11.28 Updated: 2004.11.28

1. You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 10 by Whisper99

2. You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 12 by Whisper99

3. You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 13 by Whisper99

4. You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 15 by Whisper99

5. You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 17 by Whisper99

6. You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 18 by Whisper99

You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 10 by Whisper99
You can't save them all - can you? pt 10

You can't save them all - can you? pt 10

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: Out Of The Frying Pan
Category: Mystery
Episode Related: 704 Orpheus
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-28

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.

***Same day, early afternoon in the infirmary***

Teal'c is just outside the door, keeping his distance but maintaining a careful watch as Dr. Mackenzie enters the room.

He pulls up the well used chair by Jess' bedside and pulls out a notepad, saying by way of greeting, "Ms. O'Neill."

She doesn't look up from her book as she acknowledges his presence with a, "Doc."

Taking a pen out of his shirt pocket, he proceeds to write something down, "How're you feeling today?"

Still reading her book, she answers, "Fine." Though she can barely keep the contempt out of her voice.

He writes diligently in his notebook. "I am noting a hint of anger in your tone. Are you sure you're feeling fine?"

"Yes"

He writes in his notebook some more, "Hm"

That makes her look over at him. Frowning, she asks, "Hm, what?"

He answers blithely, "Just making an observation"

She sits back in the bed, setting her book aside, saying, "I said I was fine."

He taps the pen lightly on the edge of his notebook as he looks up at her, asking, "I understand that you were kidnapped by an alien life form and brought here to the SGC. Can you tell me how you feel about that?"

She gives him a flat stare, "Like I'm Dorothy." Sticking a bare foot out from under the blankets, she says, "'Cept somebody stole my ruby slippers so I can't go home." She wiggles her toes at him.

"I see." He pulls out a small tape recorder and sets it on the table next to him, pressing record. "Can you tell me what happened yesterday afternoon?"

Sighing, she answers, "I was apparently rescued,"

"And?" he prompts.

"And what?"

He writes diligently in his notebook. "What else happened yesterday afternoon?

She says simply, "Nothing happened."

Standing, he reaches out his hand, "Can you explain to me what happened to the contents of this?" and shows her the empty pill bottle containing her pain killers.

Turning away from him, Jess shrugs, but doesn't answer.

"Ms. O'Neill, you need to be truthful with me if I am to help you with your problem"

Lifting her chin, she says, "Doc...the only problem I have is you."

Slightly chastising, he says, "Ms. O'Neill."

She heaves a deep sigh, "Fine. I don't have _a_ problem. I have _many_ problems. None of which you can even begin to help me with, so I wouldn't even bother trying. "

Trying to draw her out, he offers, "Let's start with one problem at a time and see where we go from there."

Rubbing her forehead with her good hand, she says, really trying to keep from sounding annoyed "Problem #1. I don't like you. Problem #2 my arm is itching so bad I think I'm going to scream. Problem #3 It's been what...5 days and I've already been kidnapped twice...once not so legally, once apparently legally and oh, that would be three times if you count the one that got interrupted. Do you think that should count as three separate problems? Hm...did I already say I don't like you? Shall I go on?"

Ignoring her comments, he asks, "Ms. O'Neill, Dr. Jackson reports that you experienced a rather traumatic event as a child. It seems that the events of the last few days are directly related to that. Would you like to talk about it?"

Jess sets her jaw, frowning and does not answer.

Dr. Mackenzie looks up at her, asking, "Ms. O'Neill?"

Jess picks up her book and starts to read it again.

This time it's his turn to sigh, "Ms. O'Neill, I can't help you if you won't talk to me."

Jess continues to ignore him.

He writes diligently in his notebook. This time the doctor sighs, "Ok, Ms. O'Neill. I will be by again tomorrow to see if you change your mind."

***A few hours later ***

Dr. Mackenzie is seated in General Hammonds office, shuffling through his notes as he says, "In conclusion, I think she's a danger to herself and based on her recent attack on Dr. Jackson, she should be considered a danger to others." Looking up at the General, he adds, "I would go so far as to recommend that Dr. Jackson not be in the same room with her alone."

Hammond nods, looking displeased but says, "I will take your recommendations into consideration. What can we do for the girl in the meantime?

Dr. Mackenzie nods, answering, "I have already prescribed several medications that should keep her mood in check and perhaps make my next session with her a bit more productive."

*To be continued - Feedback will be appreciated!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99
You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 12 by Whisper99
You can't save them all - can you? pt 12

You can't save them all - can you? pt 12

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: Maybe you Can
Category: Mystery
Episode Related: 704 Orpheus
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: MA
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/20/05

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.
***At the SGC***
Dr. Mackenzie says assuredly, "See Major Carter? That wasn't so bad, was it?" He gestures for the airmen to help Jess back into her bed. "She'll be feeling the effects very soon. Thank you, gentlemen. Please wait outside."
"Jess?" he asks gently, patting her on the shoulder. "You're going to be just fine." Pulling up a chair, he sits next to her bed, setting the tape recorder on his lap and turning it on. He then gets his notepad ready, and asks gently, "I want you to think back on that time when you were a little girl. Can you tell me what happened to you?"
Jess looks around, appearing disoriented. She sits up in the bed, scratching at the back of her head as she looks around. She timidly calls out, "Uncle Daniel?" and looks around. She does not appear to hear the doctor.
Sam continues to sit in the observation deck, one hand on the telephone as she scowls, watching Dr. Mackenzie work. She debates weather she should call the Colonel or Hammond or somebody, a feeling of outrage building up inside her. She wants to do something, but seeing as how Jess seems to be responding, Sam is reconsidering.
Jess suddenly clutches at her chest, falling to the floor and screams as if in pain.
Dr. Mackenzie almost jumps out of his chair, hearing her shriek. He looks unsure as to what is happening, wondering if she's having a psychotic episode. Eyes wide, he exclaims, "Jess! You need to calm down." As he kneels next to her, trying to see what is wrong.
Jess gasps, crying out "Daniel!!!"
Cursing, Sam reaches for the phone, quickly punching in an extension, muttering, "Damn quack!"
***Back at the Warehouse****
Watching Dr. Jackson regain control of his body, Bad breath guy asks again, "Where is she being kept?"
Disoriented, Daniel thinks he hears his name being called. Confused, he tries to suck in deep breaths to counteract the pain he just experienced and to balance out the pain in his gut that is starting to spread like fire.
They touch the taser to his chest one more time and Daniel loses all sense of everything, unable to focus on anything except for the pain in his body threatening to knock him unconscious.
The men watch as Dr. Jackson's body seizes and he screams in pain. "I think that's enough to get his attention."
A few moments pass as he sits back in the chair, head leaning to one side, panting, moaning the word, "Jess...?"
Bad breath guy gives Cro-Magnon man a knowing look as he says, "Yes, that's the girl. That's her. Where is she being held?"
Daniel shakes his head, groggily saying, "No."
***SGC***
Dr. Fraiser rushes into the ISO room, startled as she takes in the scene before her. Jess lies on the floor, clutching her chest with both arms, screaming, "Tell them! Tell them!!" while Dr. Mackenzie attempts to calm her.
Sam runs into the room behind Fraiser, glaring at Dr. Mackenzie and tells Janet, "I don't know what happened, Dr. Fraiser. He gave her an injection and next thing I know, she's like this." And she gestures helplessly with her hands.
Ignoring Dr. Mackenzie, Janet kneels by Jess, taking her pulse, "What did you give her?" she asks in a no-nonsense and not too pleased tone.
He answers, a bit unsure of himself now, "I gave her a dose of Diazepam. But I don't understand, there was no indication that this should have resulted in a psychotic episode."
"Well, obviously that was a bad call." She gives Mackenzie a disapproving stare and says, "Don't just sit there, help me. I need her to lie on her back." Between the two of them, they manage to get Jess to roll over on her side. Dr. Fraiser checks out Jess' eyes with her pen light, "Jess? Can you hear me?"
"Oh god!" she sobs, holding her stomach tightly. "They're hurting him!"
Dr. Mackenzie asks, "They hurt your uncle Daniel?"
Groaning, she tries to catch her breath, gasping instead, "They're hurting him."
Dr. Mackenzie says, "No Jess. They can't hurt him anymore and they can't hurt you. You're safe now."
Dr. Fraiser continues to check Jess' vitals. Saying, "Sam, please have a med team come up here, stat."
Sam nods, eyes wide as she runs out, giving the orders to the airmen that wait outside.
Curling her body into a ball, Jess shakes her head, sobbing, "Tell them...tell them everything. It doesn't matter." Her voice desperate, she begs, "Daniel, please! Don't let them hurt you!"
***Warehouse***
Bad breath guy touches the taser for a brief instant to Daniel's inner thigh, just as he says, "C'mon doc. You were doing great there just now. Is she still at the SGC?"
Sobbing, as if the words were dragged out of him, "Yes! Yes..."
Bad breath guy asks, "Do they have any plans to move her?"
Daniel nods, breathing heavily, "Yes..."
***SGC***
As the med team arrives, Carter and Janet exchange glances, listening to the one sided conversation Jess seems to be having with Daniel.
To the medics, Fraiser says, "Let's try 3cc's of alpidem." One of the medics nods, starting to prepare it. Dr. Mackenzie helps hold one of Jess's arms as they inject her with the sedative. It acts quickly as her head lolls to one side and she stops struggling, murmuring, "Please Daniel...tell them..." she sobs, "yes...off the base...tell them..." and her voice drifts off as she loses consciousness.
Too late, Carter's eyes open wide, incredulous as a thought occurs. "Oh my God...Janet...I don't think she's been reliving a memory..."
***Warehouse***
This time it's Cro-Magnon man's turn to ask, "Where are they going to move her?"
"Off...off the base." Daniel says through a haze of pain and confusion.
"Off the base to where?" and Daniel's body seizes once again as Cro-Magnon man loses patience and applies the taser. His head falls forward and he loses consciousness.
"Dammit! He's passed out. I told you not to shock him again."
Daniel drifts off, away from the pain but he can't seem to escape the voice inside his head.
***Someplace else***
Daniel looks around, confused and unsure of where he is. The place appears to be a corridor that seems to go on forever. Feeling dizzy, he abruptly sits down, holding his head in his hands as his body starts to shake uncontrollably. Then just as suddenly, he feels warmth surround him and the sensation of having someone lean in close, arms wrapped about him in a hug. Without thinking, he takes in the comfort offered, leaning into the embrace, but only for a moment, before he struggles to stand once again, murmuring to himself, "This isn't real."
He feels a small hand touch his cheek in a familiar gesture as another hand holds his shoulder, keeping him from standing. A soft voice calls out, "No...don't. Don't go back there. It's not safe. Stay here with me."
Groggily, he says, shaking his head, "No..no..can't. Need to go back."
"Don't leave me!" comes the voice, frightened and insistent.
He hesitates, feeling that something is very wrong. He reaches up to touch the hand resting on his shoulder and finds it strangely solid beneath his touch. He looks over to his side and finds himself staring into a too-familiar set of brown eyes. "Jess?" he asks, confused as he reaches out his other hand, touching her face lightly.
She offers him a sad smile, saying, her voice is slightly muffled, "I'm not mad at you anymore."
He can't help a shaky smile in return, as he says, "I'm glad." And they take comfort in each other's presence for a while. Finally breaking the silence, Daniel asks, "Jess...where are we?"
She reaches up a hand and touches his temple, saying, "In here, I think."
"How is that possible?" he asks curiously as he reaches his hand to lightly catch hers in his grasp.
She answers, "I don't know. But it's better here than where you were before, isn't it?" She settles herself next to him, not letting go of his hand as she leans her head against him and he drapes an arm over her shoulder, drawing her close.
He nods, taking a breath, "But how do we get back?"
She shrugs her shoulders a bit and asks, "You want to go back?"
He shudders, closing his eyes as he remembers the warehouse, then feels himself drift away, starting to wake. A whispered, "Don't...." and he snaps his eyes open, looking down at Jess and feels himself grounded now to this place. The pain and fear that for a moment threatened to bring him back to reality recede into the background as Jess says softly, "The walls keep us safe." And Daniel begins to feel just that. He struggles with the feeling, a part of him knowing this isn't right, but another side knowing her words ring true...there's no pain here.
Closing his eyes again, feeling the warmth surrounding him, he thinks to himself, `This feels too much like giving up.'
Jess says, "You aren't giving up."
"Are you supposed to help me?" He asks quietly.
She answers simply, "I am."
He shakes his head, trying to think, finding himself remembering what's happened...happening to him in that warehouse. Pulling his thoughts away from that, he tries to remember farther back as something nags at his mind...helping...he's supposed to help someone...and a memory is sparked as he turns bright blue eyes towards Jess, remembering now, another conversation in a dream, "You're supposed to help me help some other people."
She nods slowly, lowering her gaze as she says, "Yes. I remember you told me, right before I got mad at you."
"What are we supposed to do?" he asks confused.
"I don't know." She says.
"We need to think." He insists.
"I've been..." she hesitates a moment before saying, "I noticed something today. You don't have a memorial."
"What memorial?" he asks, leaning into her as his body shudders again.
"On level 19, for those that died in the cleansing."
Taking a deep breath, it takes him a moment before he can ask, "What's that?"
"It's why my dad became General. He came back because so few were left after the accident."
"What happened?" he asks.
"An alien device was turned on when it shouldn't've been. I was very little when it happened, but from what my dad told me, it was awful. It killed a lot of people."
"What does the device look like?" he asks.
"I saw pictures of it once. It was a clear cube with some writing on the outside of it. My dad called it a Pandora's box."
"And you were little when it happened?" She nods and he asks, "Maybe about 2 or 3 years old?" She nods again as Daniel does some quick math, "If you had been born here, you'd be about that age now. That's got to be it!" Shifting to face her, he says quickly, "Jess, you need to find Sam and tell her about this."
"No...I don't want to go back." She holds onto his arm tightly, shaking her head.
"Jess, you need to find out if that device is on the base." Feelings of helplessness start to rise up in his thoughts, reminding him of times in the past where he hasn't been able to help, where he couldn't make things right himself. He tells her with urgency in his voice, "People are going to die if you don't."
"No..." she shakes her head again, avoiding his eyes.
Looking at her, he reaches out and cups her face with his hands, lifting until her gaze meets his. He asks gently, pleading, "Please Jess...why did you come to this reality?"
"To find you." She answers, eyes wide and staring into his.
"Through time Jess...why?" he prompts.
She hesitates a moment before answering, "Because I couldn't find you anywhere else but here."
Gently, he asks, "Why do you think that is?"
"Because you weren't there." Her lower lip trembles slightly as she answers. She looks up at him, her heart in her eyes as she says, "Because you were dead."
"You need to go now Jess. It's important." He offers her a small smile as he wipes the tears from her eyes.
"I don't want to leave you." She begs.
Locking gazes with her, he says softly, his voice fading as memories of past failures threaten to overwhelm him. One last time, he asks, "Promise me you'll go back and help them, Jess. For me, because I can't."
She searches his face for a long moment and he can see the fear in her eyes as she considers his words. Voice trembling, she whispers, "I...I promise." She throws her arms around his shoulders, burying her head in his neck as she holds him tightly. He holds her close before telling her, "Go..."
***SGC***
Lying in the infirmary, Jess stirs, opening her eyes and blinking away the dryness. She looks around blearily, asking, "Sam? Are you here?"
Doctor Fraiser approaches her bedside, her face filled with concern, "You gave us all a scare, young lady."
Looking up at Dr. Fraiser, Jess asks once more, "Where's Sam? Daniel says I need to talk to her."
Looking across the bed for a moment, Fraiser says gently, "I'm sorry Jess, but Daniel isn't here."
Another voice at her side says gently, "It's ok, Jess. I'm here. What does Daniel want me to know?"
Jess tries to sit up, "He...we think the Pandora 's Box is here."
Sam blinks, appearing unsure as she looks over to Dr. Fraiser, "What do you mean?"
Jess tries to sit up, managing only to prop herself up on one arm as she looks at Sam, "It's an alien device...looks like a clear plastic cube..."
Sam prompts gently, "Jess...can you talk to Daniel now?"
Jess shakes her head, her voice sounding more sure as she speaks, "I...he made me promise to help...we need to hurry. Is it here?"
General Hammond's voice can be heard, "Major Carter. We do have something matching that description that arrived from off world the day before yesterday. Dr. Lee is working on figuring out what it is."
Jess's eyes go wide as she turns to General Hammond, "We have to get rid of it."
Hammond looks between Sam and the girl, saying, "Well, we can take precautions against it. I'll order it to be placed in a secure area." And he turns to the phone.
Jess tries again to sit up, this time more successfully, "You don't understand...it's going to kill everybody. It happened in my reality. I think it happened here...Daniel was dead...see? That's why I came here, to this time. I couldn't find him!" she shakes her head as if trying to clear it, insisting again, "It's going to happen here."
Jess tries to pull herself out of the bed, finding Dr. Fraiser putting a restraining hand on her arm. She turns a steady gaze to Fraiser, saying softly, "Please...I promised Daniel." Fraiser finds herself startled at the look on Jess' face, having seen the same steady gaze from Colonel O'Neill when he's had occasion to feel strongly about something. Jess asks, voiced with a hint of desperation, "Show me where it is. I'll need to see it, to be sure."
Sam shoots Hammond a query, and he nods, "Assuming it's all right with the doctor, you can go."
Fraiser hesitates a moment before saying, "She's good to go, Sir."
Between the two of them, they help Jess get out of bed and Sam walks with her to the base's labs, somewhat surprised that Jess seems to know the way already.
As they walk, Sam asks gently, "Jess...what about Daniel? Is he ok? Do you know where he is?"
Jess lets out a small whimper, saying softly, "I can't...I can't be with him and here at the same time. I can't...he says I need to do this for him."
Giving her arm a light squeeze, Sam says, "It's ok...". As they approach the lab area they find Doctor Lee sitting hunched over a work table wearing goggles. He has some electronic devices in his hands, as he works on something. He looks up as they enter the room.
Gently Sam asks, "Is that it?"
Somewhat glassy eyed, Jess looks at the stuff on the table. It takes her a moment to bring the item into focus before she nods several times, "Yes, that's it...but...it's not supposed to have any color to it."
Straightening, Lee says, "Well, I think I might have turned it on. It's pretty interesting actually. I touched it with some electric impulses, and it went from clear to white. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get it to go back to clear."
Taking a step back as if loosing her balance, Jess says, "Sam...it's going to kill everybody."
Carter approaches the cube, checking out sensor readings coming from it, "Doctor Lee, can you turn it off?"
He shakes his head, "I'm not sure how to, Major Carter."
Reaching a hand for it, Jess says, "There's no time."
Sam moves to block her, but is too late, "Jess! Don't touch that."
Looking up at Sam as she holds the cube in her hands, "It's ok Sam, I got it. Can we send it through the Stargate?"
Eyes wide, Sam nods. She supports Jess, making their way to the Gateroom as quickly as they can. "We'll dial PX-342 and send the box there. It's a dead planet so it shouldn't hurt anyone. How long do you think we have?"
Jess clutches her stomach, groaning, "I don't know..."
Concerned, Sam asks, "Jess, are you all right?"
She nods, panting slightly as she holds the cube tightly in her arms, using the cast on her wrist to balance the bottom of the cube. "Hurry."
As they near the gateroom, General Hammond stands waiting for them, "Major, is that the device?"
Pausing at the door, she says, "Dr. Lee activated it, Sir. We don't know how much time we have, but I think it'll be safest if we send it to PX-342 and figure out the details later."
Hammond nods as he moves to assist Sam when Jess starts to sway. He reaches for the box, but Jess refuses, "No...don't touch it. I don't think that's a good idea."
"I got her Major. Get to dialing." He orders Carter.
Several airmen wearing hazmat suits arrive just behind them, as Hammond helps Jess into the gate room.
She pauses, looking down at the box in her arms, gasping for breath, "It burns!"
Hammond says urgently, "Young lady...these men are wearing special suits that should protect them from whatever is being emitted from that device. It's ok to let them take it now."
She shakes her head, staring up at the gate, watching the dialing sequence progress. Too slow...it's too slow and the box in her arms is burning..."No time."
Gesturing for the airmen to approach, Hammond asks, "What?"
Jess stands, focused on the gate, saying softly, "LDB Imports..." and she breaks from Hammonds grasp to run up to the gate. The event horizon forms before the dialing sequence completes and as she tosses the cube through and there is a sudden power surge. She throws her arms up, as if protecting her face and just as suddenly, the gate shuts down. She takes a few steps back, lowering her arms to her sides. She turns around to see Hammond and the airmen right behind her. She looks up at Hammond, offers him a smile and collapses.
*To be continued - Feedback will be appreciated!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99
You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 13 by Whisper99
You can't save them all - can you? pt 13

You can't save them all - can you? pt 13

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: A Rescue
Category: Mystery
Episode Related: 704 Orpheus
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/20/05

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.
***Outside the SGC***
Sitting inside Daniel's jeep, Jack leans over and picks up a pair of glasses. Gingerly grabbing them by the edges, he murmurs, "Maybe these are just a spare pair." Fighting back the urge to worry, he sighs and sets them on the passenger seat. He leans over to open the glove compartment, hoping to find some clue of Daniel's whereabouts.
*ring tone*
Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out his cell phone. "O'Neill here. Hey Carter. Heard anything?" he pauses slightly and then asks, "Warehouse district? Yeah, hang on." He reaches into the glove compartment, smiling as he finds some notepads and pens, knowing Daniel always has something nearby to write on and with. "Dammit...Yeah, got that. Where'd you get the intel from? Hey...you ok?" He pauses, then says, "All right. You can fill me in when we get back."
He steps out of the jeep and looks over to Teal'c, "Carter thinks she knows where Daniel is." They quickly make their way back towards their vehicle.
Teal'c asks, "Should we not inform the local authorities?"
"No...they'd just get in the way. Hammond is sending in some of our boys." Jack hangs on for dear life as Teal'c steps on the gas, peeling out of the tow truck company's storage lot. "Hey there T...you been watching too many movies. I'd like for us to be able to actually find Daniel and not end up a statistic."
Teal'c replies, "I am merely minimizing the time it will take us to arrive."
"You just want to get there first."
Teal'c says nothing but one side of his mouth twitches slightly upwards as he takes another sharp turn, causing O'Neill to curse as he slides over to one side. Jack quickly reaches up to put his seatbelt on.
They arrive at the warehouse, finding it rather easily as the words `LDB IMPORTS' is emblazoned on one side of the building. The warehouse does not seem to be abandoned as there are trucks parked outside, but it seems closed for the weekend. Teal'c drives past, pulling into a parking lot two buildings over. They both get out and walk towards the warehouse in question.
O'Neill gestures and they head towards the back of the warehouse, towards the loading bays. Finding a door, he tries to open it and is surprised to find it unlocked. Taking his weapon out and tucking into the back of his pants, he opens the door, takes a quick look inside and steps in, whispering, "Looks like no one's home."
Teal'c follows behind, also pulling out a weapon, a Zat-gun. Gesturing with his hands, O'Neill moves towards the left side of the building with Teal'c covering his flank as they perform a sweep of the area. They make their way towards the rear of the warehouse where Teal'c is first to notice a table with an overturned chair, tucked into a corner where there are crates piled high, all labeled LDB IMPORTS. Pulling out his gun, O'Neill walks over, frowning as he sees drops of dried blood on the chair and surrounding floor.
Whispering, Teal'c says, "O'Neill." And points to a blood trail leading towards another door set in an interior wall.
O'Neill nods, looking around carefully before making his way to the door. Reaching it, he sees it's locked. Teal'c takes the Zat and shoots the lock, kicking at it and it falls away immediately. Opening the door, they find the room beyond is very dark, but the telltale smell of blood and bile and other things best left unmentioned tell them they have found, if not Daniel, something, at least.
Taking a quick breath, O'Neill holds his gun out as he steps into the room, light filtering in as Teal'c holds the door open and they can both see in one corner of the small storage room, Daniel lying curled up on his side with his back facing the door.
The moment is frozen as O'Neill takes in the sight before him. He starts to shake his head as if denying what he sees. The moment is gone and O'Neill hardens his features as he quickly moves to Daniel's side, "Crap! Daniel? Can you hear me?". Tucking his gun away, he kneels beside him, cursing again as he sees the bruises forming on Daniel's face. He reaches out to feel for a pulse, finding it weak and his skin cool and clammy. He murmurs, "Who did this to you?" Gently he attempts to roll Daniel onto his back, and receives a groan in return as Daniel holds his stomach protectively. He says reassuringly, "Don't worry, help is on the way." and he takes off his jacket, covering Daniel with it.
"O'Neill, how is Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c asks from the doorway, concern evident in his voice.
"He's alive, but I'm not altogether sure we should move him. I think he's in shock. Where the hell is our backup?" as he reaches into his pocket to pull out his cell phone.
"I shall continue the search of the building to assure there is no one else here."
Seeing a shadow cross Teal'cs back, Jack yells, "Down!" Immediately, the hand that was going for the cell phone reaches around and O'Neill pulls out his weapon.
In the same instant, Teal'c drops as a gunshot rings out and O'Neill returns fire. Rolling to one side, Teal'c pulls out his weapon and Zats the assailant, who drops with a grunt of pain. Weapons held at the ready, both Teal'c and O'Neill approach the downed man.
Teal'c uses a foot to turn him over, so they can get a good look at his face, "Do you recognize this man?'
O'Neill shakes his head, resisting the urge to aim a kick at the guys head. Taking in his close cropped hair cut and overall look, he says, "No. He might be ex-military though - we should have him in the base computers if he is. Go ahead and check out the rest of the building, I'll stay here."
Teal'c tilts his head in a nod as he walks away, weapon held to the ready.
Jack returns to Daniel, trying to see if he can get him to wake up, "Daniel, c'mon, talk to me here."
****
Teal'c retraces his steps back in the direction they came, passing the door they used to enter the building. He makes his way towards the front of the building, carefully looking into empty offices in search of more of the enemy. Hearing a noise behind him, he twists quickly, ready to fire, then just as suddenly lifts both arms, as he sees it is the promised backup from the SGC. Teal'c calls out, "We require immediate medical assistance. Daniel Jackson has been injured. Come with me." And he leads them back to where he left his friends.
One of the airmen nods, talking into his radio and almost as quickly, two men come in, pushing a gurney between them as they make their way to Daniel's prone form.
****
Watching as they tend to the still unconscious Daniel, O'Neill moves over to stand by Teal'c, frowning, concern plain on his face. As the EMT's prepare to move Daniel, Jack tells them, "Careful...I think he's got some broken ribs."
The EMT nods, replying, "Yes sir. We're immobilizing him in case he has further internal injuries. Has he spoken since you found him?"
O'Neill shakes his head, running a hand through his hair as he watches them work. He turns then to the other soldiers who have taken the still unconscious assailant into custody. Voice hardened, he tells them, "Bring him to the SGC - I want to question him myself. Teal'c, I'm going to ride with Daniel. See you back on base."
****
In the ambulance, the EMT reports back to one of the doctors that Daniel has several cracked ribs and possible internal bleeding. O'Neill watches silently as the EMT's work to further stabilize Daniel, staring at his friends bruised face, his own reflecting barely suppressed anger at what has been done. They arrive at the SGC, where Daniel is whisked away with O'Neill following close behind.
****
In the infirmary, O'Neill wonders where Dr. Fraiser is, but is distracted as the doctors begin their work. Pacing, he looks towards the room where Daniel is being prepped for surgery, thoughts dark as he waits for news. Teal'c arrives shortly after, speaking in quiet tones with the Colonel.
Jack tells him, "I don't know yet. They say he's stable though, so I guess that's a good thing. Go find Carter. Let her know what's going on."
Teal'c nods, saying, "I will inform her of Daniel Jackson's condition."
As Teal'c walks away, Hammond enters the infirmary, pausing for a moment at the entrance before making his way towards O'Neill. "Good job finding our boy, Colonel." Hammond asks, "Any idea what happened to him?"
Jack rubs his face with his hands, frowning slightly as he says, "Aside from the fact that somebody beat the crap out of him, Sir, I don't know. But we did catch one of the bastards that did this to him, so we should know more when I can question him."
Hammond nods, looking pensive before saying, "Colonel, I just received word...the Pentagon has requested SG1 have further no involvement in the investigation."
Jack's eyes go wide, brows going up as he says, exasperated, "What? General, that rat bastard beat the living shit out of Daniel or at the very least he knows who did it. If you expect me to do my job and protect my team, you need to let me be involved in that investigation."
Hammond nods, lowering his voice slightly as he says, "I understand how you feel. I'm not exactly thrilled with this new development, but the Pentagon feels SG1 is too closely involved with the situation to be objective."
Jack turns a steady gaze at Hammond, asking, "Do you think this has anything to do with Jess and that little kidnapping plot we stopped?"
Hammond nods slightly, saying, "I'd lay odds on it."
Jack frowns again, watching absently as an airman, Siler, is led to a bed, holding a hand up to his head. Turning again to Hammond, O'Neill asks, "How did the Pentagon find out so fast, anyway?"
Hammond shrugs slightly, appearing displeased, "I don't know. But I intend to find out."
Shaking his head, O'Neill asks, "How did we get the intel on Daniel's location? Carter wasn't too clear on that."
Hammond gives O'Neill an odd look before saying, "Actually, it was Jess who gave us the name of the warehouse you found him in."
O'Neill raises a brow, asking, "How did she know?"
Hammond sighs, about to answer when Sam comes rushing into view. Slightly breathless, she asks, "Sirs...Daniel?"
O'Neill tells her, "Carter. We'll know more when he's out of surgery. What happened to you?" he asks, taking in her flushed cheeks.
Eyes slightly downcast, she takes a few deep breaths, trying to steady her breathing, "Ah....it's been a long day. Actually, Dr. Fraiser wants you in ISO RM 4 as soon as possible, sir."
O'Neill blinks, then nods once. Swallowing an expletive, he says instead, "Let me know when he's out of surgery, ok?"
Sam says, "I will, Sir." As O'Neill walks out of the infirmary, she shares a look with Hammond.
*To be continued - Feedback will be appreciated!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99
You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 15 by Whisper99
You can't save them all - can you? pt 15

You can't save them all - can you? pt 15

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: Promises
Category: Mystery
Episode Related: 704 Orpheus
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: character death, language, violence, none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/20/05

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.
Warnings: There's some very strong imagery coming up in this chapter that involves violence, a major character death including some child abuse. And there's more cursing in this one. Sorry about that, folks.
***A few hours later***
Jack walks into the infirmary, hands stuffed into his pockets as he heads over to Daniel's bed. He stands there, watching his friend as he sleeps, noticing the bruises on his pale face starting to turn yellow around the edges. Listening to the steady beeping of the heart monitor attached to Daniel, his thoughts drift back to the events that occurred yesterday, at the summons of Dr. Fraiser.
Jack walks into the ISO room, surprised at the whirlwind of activity. "What's going on Doc?" He nods a greeting at a solemn looking Teal'c who stands at the entrance of the room.
Holding a chart in her hands, Fraiser looks up, sighing as she orders another test from one of the nurses. "Colonel...when you left her, how did she seem to you?"
"A bit cranky. Tired. What's happened?" he asks again, trying to see behind her.
Moving to one side, Fraiser gestures for them to enter the room, "Sir, Teal'c called one of the nurses because he noticed she had become unresponsive. We're monitoring her closely because her blood pressure is dangerously low and unfortunately, all her blood work is showing signs of multiple organ failure. We've put her on ventilator as a precaution, in the hopes her oxygen levels would improve."
O'Neill says in disbelief, "But she was fine...she was talking to me just a little while ago. God, she was yelling at you...she was fine."
Fraiser looks at O'Neill, compassion in her voice as she says, "At this point Sir, I have to assume the alien device she came into contact with caused more damage than was apparent at first. Something it did besides the obvious burns on her arms and abdomen."
Coming up from behind O'Neill, Hammond asks, "Doctor, what is her prognosis?"
Fraiser makes a notation in the chart, saying, "It's hard to say sir, but if she doesn't start to show signs of improvement within the next 6-8 hours..."
Jack asks hopefully, "But she's going to pull through, right?"
Fraiser answers with a gentle, "I don't know, sir."
Jack is silent as he walks over to stare down at Jess, taking in the various tubes and wires attached to the still girl. Unbidden, a memory comes of another child lying in a hospital bed, tubes and wires attached in much the same manner...Charlie. Jack closes his eyes, willing the memory away as he focuses on the sounds of the heart monitor, slowly lowering his head into his hands.
Lost in the memory, O'Neill doesn't notice Daniel waking up. He's startled out of his thoughts as he hears a softly spoken, "Hi Jack."
Dragging a smile out of somewhere, he says, "Oh, hey Daniel. Sorry about walking out earlier..."
Shifting slightly in his bed, Daniel murmurs, "It's ok." Fingering the cut on his lower lip, he frowns before adding hesitantly, "Sam told me what happened...I...I'm so sorry."
"Hey...yeah, well." Jack shrugs, moving to sit down on the chair next to Daniel's bed. Changing the subject, he asks, "How're you feeling?"
Daniel shifts again, trying to get comfortable, "I'll live." Taking in his friends tired face, he asks, "How're you doing?"
Jack shrugs his shoulders again, no longer looking at Daniel as he answers, "Oh, you know me. I'm just peachy." He asks, "So, feel up to talking about what happened in that warehouse?" and he reaches out to grab a blue, plastic medical instrument, fiddling with the flexible mouthpiece.
Daniel leans over, stifling a groan as he reaches to get his glasses, grabbing them and settling them on his face, finally saying, "I uh...thought you weren't supposed to investigate this."
Jack answers, flipping the plastic device upside-down, "I'm not investigating anything...I'm just curious."
Daniel gives him a look, asking, "Just curious?"
Jack shrugs a bit, nodding, "Yeah."
Daniel takes off his glasses, gingerly pinching the bridge of his nose before answering, "Uh...ok, then. Sam said you caught one of them."
Jack nods as he taps the plastic device on his knee, causing the ball inside it to bounce around, saying, "Tall, short dark hair. Goes by the name of Roger Smith."
"Bad breath?" Daniel asks.
Jack chuckles, though there's no real humor in the sound, "Yeah...notice that, did you?"
Daniel makes a bit of a face, replacing his glasses and peers up at Jack from above the rims, "Kinda hard not to."
The mouthpiece of the plastic device comes apart in his hands suddenly and Jack quickly puts it back on the table, saying, "Yeah, right. So anyway..."
Daniel interrupts, "Jack... I keep replaying what happened and I can't figure out how to make it right... I wish there had been another way." He swallows past a lump in his throat and admits, "God Jack...I made her promise to help."
Jack sighs, leaning back into his chair and gestures vaguely with one hand, "Daniel, nobody made her grab hold of that box. She decided to do that on her own, ok?"
Sounding distressed, Daniel says, "I know. It's just... if I had known what could happen...Dammit ...Shifu brought her to me. She was my responsibility and I screwed up!"
Jack takes a deep breath, holding it for a moment before saying, "Mackenzie give her a shot of something...a drug...before she uh..." and he wiggles the fingers of his right hand in front of his face, "talked to you." He shrugs his shoulders a bit as he continues, "...Fraiser thinks it probably impaired her ability to make rational decisions...so I don't think anything you could have told her would've made a difference in how it played out. You can't start second guessing yourself here."
Feeling Daniel stare at him, he scratches his chin with one hand and effectively changes the subject again by asking, "So, about that guy..." A sudden flash and darkness surrounds him.
Jack finds himself standing in a dark Corridor that seems to go on endlessly. He turns around, startled as he calls out, "Daniel?"
In the distance he hears a familiar voice, "Jack...?" and almost in the same breath, he finds Daniel standing before him.
Jack blinks, asking in surprise, "Weren't we just...?"
Daniel blinks, finishing Jack's question, "Talking?"
Jack asks, "In the infirmary, right?"
Daniel nods slightly, looking around, "Yeah..."
Jack takes a step back, reaching out to touch one of the walls on his left. "Ok...this is weird. Wonder which one of us is hallucinating?"
Daniel follows suit, feeling along one of the walls, "Not me"
Jack says, "Of course it's you. You're the one in the infirmary all drugged up, remember?"
Daniel frowns, saying, "Am not. I mean, I'm not drugged up."
"Are too."
"Am not." Daniel places both hands flat against one of the walls, palms feeling oddly cool as he asks, "This feel solid to you too?"
Feeling solid walls beneath his hands as well, Jack relents, "Ok. So not a hallucination. What just happened then? He walks around, still feeling at the walls. "Asgard maybe?"
"Uh..." Daniel looks down at himself, both hands moving to his abdomen, belatedly realizing he's feeling no pain.
Watching him, Jack observes, "Looks like they fixed you up."
"Yeah..." Daniel makes a face, idly touching his stomach, as if to make sure. He looks around, taking a moment before saying, "Wait a minute...I know this place."
"Oh?"
"Yeah...I was here with Jess, before...it felt different though." He voice trails as he cocks his head, looking down one end of the corridor. Holding a hand up, fingers raised, he asks, "Did you hear that?" In the distance, they can hear the faint sound of someone crying. Daniel takes off in a run in that direction.
Jack says, "Daniel! Wait! God, I hate it when you do that!" and he follows after.
Running towards the sound, the corridor seems to open up and they stumble into a bright room. It takes a moment for their eyes to adjust as they take in the view; Light from partially shaded windows, set high in the walls, flooding into the room, illuminating the area.
A door opens and a man walks in, dragging a small girl by the hand behind him. She struggles to break free, kicking with her legs and finally sinking teeth into the hand that is holding her. The man yanks her, slapping her on the side of the face and she lets go with a cry. Behind them walk in another two men, holding a struggling man between them.
Daniel is startled to see himself as the struggling man; glasses gone from his face; his hair, longer than he wears it now, hanging down over his forehead.
Jack shouts, "Hey!" and makes a run at the one manhandling the child and is stunned as he passes right through them. Catching himself as he stumbles, he whirls, eyes wide open as the insubstantial group continues as if nothing has changed. Looking at Daniel, his voice sounding murderous, he demands, "What the hell is going on?"
Making a move as if adjusting the glasses on his face, Daniel watches, fascinated until his eyes widen, recognizing what it is he is seeing. "I...I...oh, God...that's Jess."
Still struggling, Daniel shouts, "Don't! Don't you hurt her!"
A man walks in behind them and asks, "Or you'll what, Dr. Jackson?"
Jack looks over at Daniel for a moment, before turning to look at the newcomer, recognizing the man as unmistakably one Major Paul Tate.
Tate continues as he surveys the room, "General O'Neill has a lot to learn about disregarding my associates' requests. But don't worry. She'll be fine..." he walks over to the girl, reaching out to stroke her hair. Looking down at her, he smiles gently, taking her chin in his hand and lightly traces the red mark left behind by the slap, saying, "It's okay, sweetheart, you don't need to cry. We've got something very important for you to do. You're going to be daddy's special delivery girl." He kneels next to her, pointing at Daniel, "I need you to watch your uncle Daniel very carefully sweetie, so you can remember to tell your dad everything that happens today. Can you do that?"
Sniffling, she looks at her Uncle Daniel, then back over to Tate. Wiping her nose with the back of her free hand, she nods slowly as her eyes go back to her Uncle.
Daniel turns away, looking sick. "You may not want to watch this Jack..."
But Jack can't take his eyes off the girl and the scene unfolding before him..
Tate straightens and beckons to a man standing to one side. "Do it. Make it _painfully_ obvious to the General that the only reason this happened was because he wouldn't cooperate."
The man nods, pulling out a knife. Realization dawns on Daniel as he looks at the man with the knife, then at Jess, and he tries to be very calm about it, "Jess...you need to close your eyes right now. Please sweetheart, close your eyes right now." Daniel struggles to get free again, as he looks at Tate, begging, "Tate...Paul...Please...don't do this. Don't make her watch this...".
Tate chuckles softly, reaching again to stroke Jess' hair, "Ah, but Dr. Jackson...a lesson needs to be learned. And there's nothing better than a visual aide to drive that lesson home." He gestures to the man holding the knife.
The knife goes in slowly as Daniel bites down, swallowing a scream. Panting, he keeps his eyes forward, staring beyond the man who is killing him. Jess stands in the grip of another man, watching as blood appears on her uncle's clothes but says nothing as she stares.
The knife goes in deep until the hilt meets the resistance his flesh offers, stopping forward motion...so now the blade begins to twist and a slow moan escapes Daniel's lips as his knees start to buckle. The man with the knife smiles grimly as he works the blade, not stopping until, along with the blood, he draws screams from Daniel.
Jack scowls darkly, not able to turn away, "Christ..."
Satisfied, the man pulls out the knife and the two holding Daniel let him collapse to the ground. Tate nods, starting to walk out of the room. Dropping the knife, the man removes his gloves and overcoat, letting them drop to the floor as he follows Tate and the others out. The man holding Jess lets her go with a slight shove and he walks out. The door closes with a click; the sound of a lock being slid into place.
On the floor, Daniel has curled himself in a ball, hands pressed tightly at the wound in his belly. Eyes only on her uncle, Jess scrambles towards him, kneeling beside him. He takes a deep, shuddering breath and is terribly still...
The room goes dark and they are back in the corridor.
Jack exclaims, "Son of a bitch!" as he pounds his fist into the nearest wall, "What the hell did we need to see that for!?"
Daniel swallows hard, taking a deep breath as he tries to compose himself, "I don't know...Shifu...Shifu says dreams teach. Maybe it's him, trying to teach us something."
"Well, the only thing I've learned today is that I want to beat the crap out of Tate!"
Stunned, Daniel turns to Jack and asks, "That isn't...is that the same Major Tate?"
Jack replies angrily, "Oh yeah. That's the rat bastard we left her with at Peterson."
Daniel's stomach turns as he remembers Jess' words in the van...days ago...was it only days ago? She was a special delivery...always a special delivery...Tate said that to her...in this reality too. Placing a hand over his mouth, Daniel takes a deep breath, holding it for a moment before releasing it, "God...".
His eyes flicker over to Jack, and seeing the dangerous expression on his face, Daniel moves to stand in front of him, trying to reassure him by saying, "Ok, but listen, it wasn't him. You can't blame the Tate in our reality for this."
Scowling at Daniel, Jack roars, "I'm mad enough right now that I don't care! I..." Caught in mid tirade, Jack straightens suddenly, as movement catches the corner of his eye. Walking past Daniel, he finds Jess kneeling on the floor with her head bowed low.
Jack kneels down in front of her, barely noticing his friend has followed and now stands behind him. A hollow feeling in the pit of his stomach begins to form as he reaches out with both hands to check her over for injuries. He says nothing, not trusting himself to speak as his hands go up both her arms and around her torso. Finding her whole in body, his allows himself a bit of relief as he reaches out with a slightly trembling hand and lifts her chin, "You all right?"
She shrugs slightly, not meeting Jacks eyes even though her face is tilted up to look at him. Voice barely above a whisper, she says, "I don't want to be here." Jack rests his free hand on her shoulder, looking up at Daniel as if seeking answers.
Daniel blinks, thinking quickly, "Jess...this is the place where you brought me before, isn't it?" She makes no motion to answer him so he continues, "You said...you said it was safe here."
At this, she finally responds with a slight nod and a quiet, "Yes..."
Daniel tells her as he watches Jack stand, "I...Jess, I think Shifu is doing this. I think he's trying to help you."
In one smooth motion, she lifts herself to her feet and whirls to face Daniel, eyes wild as the words explode from her, incredulous, "Help me!? How!? By bringing me here?!"
Surprised, Daniel takes a half step back, saying quickly, "You told me nobody could hurt you here. He must know that!"
She stares at him for a moment, repeating his words carefully, "Nobody can hurt me here?" And then laughs bitterly, asking, "God, how could you be so stupid?! There's plenty of pain to go around, Daniel. Want some?" And with that, she launches herself at him, arms outstretched and hands formed into fists.
Reacting quickly from behind her, Jack grabs hold of her wrists and pulls her towards him, restraining her. She twists in his grasp, choking back a scream as light filters into the corridor and the dark walls around them change....
A door opens and a man walks in, dragging a small girl by the hand behind him. She struggles to break free...
And as that single moment from Jess' memory begins to play out again, she sags in his arms as her legs give out. Holding her tightly, Jack helps keep her on her feet, surprised and unsure of what to do, he looks helplessly at Daniel.
Fighting back a sob, she cries, "Why is this happening? I keep coming back to this!" She turns her face into Jack's chest and he reaches up a hand, resting it on her head, and turns slightly, using his body to block her view, protecting her from this the only way he can. He asks softly, "Daniel?"
Daniel exchanges a helpless glance with Jack and chews on his lower lip, thinking out loud, "There must be something, something about what happened that day you're supposed to remember. Maybe that's why we're here...to help you remember." He buries his own feelings as an errant memory of a time, years ago when he too was forced to repeatedly watch a horrifying event from his past surfaces.
Jess lifts her head, turning to stare at Daniel and says, voice filled with disbelief, "You think...you think I should remember this?" She then looks up at Jack, tilting her head up slightly as she tells him, "Mackenzie kept asking me...He wanted me to remember. Is that why I'm here?" Horror fills her eyes and she begins breathe quickly, panicking, "He gave me those drugs and, and...I told you, I TOLD you I couldn't come back from that. I TOLD YOU! Is that what this is?"
Frowning, Jack says, "Stop it! It's not the drugs. Don't you remember what happened?" but he doesn't let her answer, telling her in a voice filled with anger, "You touched that damned Panda Box thing and it's killing you!"
Jess holds her breath as she stares up at Jack, snapping out of her panic as she listens to his words before saying hesitantly, "I...no...Mackenzie did something to me. I...I remember...the box...the Pandora's box...Daniel helped me remember..."
Jack nods, brushing the hair back from her face and resting a hand lightly on her cheek, as he tries to contain his own anger, "Yeah, he did. Then you decided to play the hero and it all went to hell right after." He closes his eyes and shakes his head as he finishes saying those words.
Drawn to the sound of her Uncle's cries, Jess turns her head, breaking away from Jack's grasp and stares at the child as she scrambles to her Uncles side. Jess frowns and shakes her head, whispering, "No...no, that's not how it happened." Taking a step back as she watches her Uncle take his last breath, she turns and takes off at a run.
Caught by surprise, Jack calls out, "Hey! Stop!" And he runs after her.
Daniel moves to follow but hesitates as he notices the memory doesn't stop playing as it did before. Instead it continues and once again he finds himself staring at his alternate but something is happening...something different...and Daniel watches, mesmerized.
The child that was Jess reaches out a small hand, resting it on his forehead even as her other hand moves towards his bloody stomach. Daniel shifts, freeing one bloodied hand and reaches out to push hers away, saying through clenched teeth, "No Jess. You can't."
Tears in her eyes and one tiny hand remaining on his brow, she says bravely, "They hurt you...I'll make it better."
Daniel tells her in a strangled voice, "No sweetheart, it's too big for you to fix." He pauses, panting as if trying to fight back the pain, before he can continue, "You'll only hurt yourself too."
Jess looks at him, a stubborn tilt to her head as she reaches out her small hand again towards his stomach. Too weak to move her hand away again, Daniel curls within himself moving his head so she breaks contact with his forehead, "No, Jessie. Please...promise me you won't. Just...just wait for your daddy to come, ok?" Voice fading, Daniel asks one last time, "Promise me?"
Sitting back on her legs, she lets her hands drop into her lap. Tears falling now, she answers softly, "I...I promise..." and watches as he takes a deep, shuddering breath and is terribly still...
The room goes dark and Daniel finds himself standing back in the corridor. Hope flares in his chest as he takes a deep breath and runs towards the sound of arguing voices in the distance.
***Elsewhere***
Jess stands with her forehead resting against the wall, palms flat against the wall, fingers spread out. She shakes her head and her right hand forms a fist, and she punches into the wall as she listens to Jack and fights back tears.
Scowling, Jack tells her, "You can't keep running away. I am not going to stand here and watch you die!"
Turning, she rests her back against the wall now, but does not meet his gaze, "I stood there and watched him die, what difference does it make!?!"
Jack runs both hands through his hair, exasperated, "Don't give me that load of bullshit! You're trying to take the easy way out again!"
Crossing both arms tightly across her chest, she says harshly, "It's not like I have a choice!"
Jack begins to pace in front of her, gesturing wildly with his hands, almost as if he's ready to start hitting something or someone, "Like hell you don't! You need to fight this thing, goddamnit! You will NOT surrender to this!"
From behind them, Jack hears Daniel call out, "Jack! Wait, I think I understand what's going on..."
Turning to face him, he watches as Daniel takes a deep breath and blurts out, "She can heal..."
Daniel briefly rests a hand on Jack's shoulder, offering him a small but reassuring smile before moving towards her and saying, "Jess, you tried to heal your uncle but he wouldn't let you. He said it would hurt you if you tried."
Jess shakes her head, eyes half-closed as she insists, "No...you're wrong. It didn't happen that way. He died."
Walking right up to her, Daniel is adamant, "I saw you try to heal him...I saw that memory!"
Jack turns to look at Daniel, an incredulous expression on his face, "What're you saying Daniel?"
"I'm saying that she's like Ayiana, the ancient you found frozen in the Antarctic, remember...?" Looking over his shoulder at Jack, he adds quickly, "She should be able to heal herself."
The word escapes as barely a whisper from her lips, "Mother?" and she frowns, confused as she takes a step backwards, pressing herself flat against the wall and stares down at her hands.
Jack suddenly reaches out and grabs hold of both her arms. Pulling her towards him, he shakes her once, demanding, "You mean to tell me you can fix this? What the hell are you waiting for!?"
She looks up into his face, her eyes wide as she shakes her head, looking lost, "No...I can't...no...I promised!"
Daniel tilts his head, unsure at Jess' hesitation until her words make him understand. Very carefully, Daniel says, "Jess...your uncle never meant for you to stop using your gift. Please..."
She pushes away from Jack and screams, "It hurts!"
Inches from her face, Jack screams right back, "Then fix it!!"
Her back against the wall, she all but stands on her toes, glaring at Jack as she shouts, "I CAN'T!"
Jack watches her, seeing the confusion and pain playing across the features of her young face, his own eyes searching hers, his hands once again grabbing hold of her arms. In the span of three heartbeats, he makes a decision, ignoring Daniel's hand on his shoulder. Pulling her up to him, he leans over her and whispers in her ear, "So, you're just going to let Tate win?"
Jack can feel her body start to tremble beneath his hands. She shoves him away, hard, and the words are torn from her throat, "FUCK YOU!"
Light filters into the corridor and the scene around them changes...
A door opens and a man walks in, dragging a small girl by the hand behind him. She struggles to break free...
Jack sets his jaw, then turns, grabbing Daniel by the arm and dragging him along, "C'mon Daniel. We're done here."
Daniel is shocked and tries to pull away, "What?! No! We need to help her!"
Jack gestures at the scene around them, asking, "You know why she keeps coming back to this?" Not waiting for an answer, he continues,"She never left." He shakes his head, tugging on Daniel's arm again, "Maybe if she watches enough times, she'll remember why her uncle died."
Disbelief thick in his voice, Daniel asks, "How can you say that!? Jack!"
***Back in the infirmary***
Daniel calls out, "Jack!"
Blinking, Jack finds himself back in the chair he was sitting, hearing the heart monitor beeping a bit faster than before, "Daniel?"
"God Jack, what did you do?" Daniel lifts his head to look at his friend.
Meeting his gaze, Jack says quietly, "That Shifu kid...he didn't teach as much as remind me of something. We O'Neill's can be very stubborn. She needed to be pushed...so I pushed."
Daniel blinks a few times, trying to come to terms with being back in his body, wincing at pain he had the brief opportunity to forget. He moves to sit up even as Jack stands, realization dawning for both of them as they wonder if the push worked. He grimaces, waving Jack off, "Go, go, go!"
Jack hauls ass out of the infirmary.
*To be continued - Feedback is adored!!*
Thank you all for your kind reviews! If you didn't already hate Tate, I suspect you'll despise him by now. Even I can't stand him. Grrr! :)

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99
You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 17 by Whisper99
You can't save them all - can you? pt 17

You can't save them all - can you? pt 17

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: Endings
Category: Mystery
Episode Related: 704 Orpheus
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/20/05

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.
***Later that same day - ISO RM 4***
Jess is sitting at the small table in her room, head lowered as she stares at her hands. Teal'c sits across from her, speaking to her in quiet tones. They both look up as the door opens, Teal'c straightening, as Jack and Sam enter the room.
Jack carries a tray filled with food and Sam carries her laptop and some files cradled in her arms.
Jess watches as they settle the items they carry on the table before her and asks simply, "Daniel?"
"I get the feeling Fraiser doesn't quite believe that he's all better, so she's running a few tests. She said she'd spring him in a little while. And here's the food she promised." Jack points to the tray as he moves to grab an extra chair to sit on. "Eat up."
Reaching for the food, she says, "Thanks. I'm starved." Looking over at Teal'c, she offers him her pickle. He tilts his head, declining.
Sam smiles as she sets up her laptop, watching as Jess takes a huge bite of a hamburger, "Dr. Fraiser thinks your hunger is your body's way of getting back all the energy you expended healing yourself and Daniel. How're you feeling?"
Jess quirks a brow, "Numb...like I've got nothing else left to give." She shrugs then and takes a bite of her burger.
Jack nods, saying, "I'm sorry about that kiddo. It'll get better." He glances over at Sam and nods, asking, "Jess...um, there is a question we do need to ask you."
Jess' shoulders slump a bit at the question even as she looks up at him, swallowing and then asks, "What?"
Clearing his throat, Jack takes a few greasy fries from her plate, and asks, "Ok...It's about the Stargate."
A mumbled "What about it?" escapes her lips as she chews.
Wiping his hands on a napkin, Jack asks, "When you threw that panda box thing into it, Carter tells me the computer wasn't finished dialing."
Jess pauses before starting to chew again and says, "Oh...Well...I don't know anything about that..."
Stealing a few more fries, he says, "Carter, tell her what you were able to find out."
Sam taps some of the keys on the laptop as she says, "We were able to determine that the Stargate established a successful outgoing wormhole without the aid of the dialing computer. As a matter of fact, based on diagnostics I ran right after it happened, the gate didn't even lock on the planet I had started the dialing sequence for."
Jess stares down at her plate, idly stuffing fries into her mouth and mumbles, "Yeah, so?"
Sam asks, "Well, remember that video I showed you from when you first came here? And we could see that alien being, Shifu?"
Jess nods slowly, concentrating on her food.
Sam turns the screen, showing the video capture of the event, "Well, as you can see on this analysis of the security tape, there is no sign of any ascended being in the gate room."
"Ok...?" Jess glances at the screen before turning her attention back to the remnants of her food.
Frowning slightly, Jack breaks in with, "Jess...is there anything you should be telling us?"
She looks up at Jack, not able to meet his gaze for long before turning away, answering, "No."
Teal'c speaks up, "Jessmin O'Neill, there is no need to hide the truth from us."
She frowns, looking at Teal'c, then back at Jack. Taking a deep breath, she says steadily, "Well...you know...I guess you can say it's another perk to not being completely human."
"So...what? You dialed the gate?" Jack asks, quirking a brow.
Jess nods slowly, stuffing some more fries in her mouth.
Sam asks, "Where did you dial to?"
Swallowing her food, she turns her gaze towards Teal'c, and answers, "Chulak."
Jack quickly gets up out of his seat, "What!?"
Sam's eyes go wide as she exclaims, "Oh my God, Jess! There are people there!"
Flinching, Jess answers quickly, "I shut the gate down before it got to the other side."
Jack asks, "You can just turn it off whenever you want?"
Pushing the tray away from her, she nods, "Yeah..."
Sam asks, "Why Chulak? Wasn't that a bit dangerous?"
Playing with a corner of her napkin, she answers, "I don't know that many gate addresses. Chulak was the first one that came to mind. I only know three...Chulak, Earth and the Alpha Site. My dad made sure of that."
Jack looks at her suspiciously for a moment, saying, "Wait a minute...when you first got here, you gave us the address of the Nox homeworld."
Jess blinks, surprised at the question, "Huh?" and it takes her a moment to understand Jack's statement, "Oh! Well, yeah, I know the manual addresses of several Stargates. I thought you meant which addresses I could, y'know." And she waggles the fingers of one hand around.
"Oh...there's a difference?" Jack sits back and watches her.
Jess nods several times, staring down at her tray and chokes back a laugh, saying, "Oh yeah."
"How do you do it?" Jack asks.
Tapping now on the edge of the tray with a fork, she answers, "It's complicated."
"Explain it to Carter. She'll understand." Sam's eyes open slightly wide at that.
***Hallway***
Stepping out of his office, Daniel finishes rolling down his sleeve, wincing slightly as he pulls the fabric over the bandage on his arm. Damned if Janet wasn't determined to stick him with more holes now than he had to start with before Jess healed him. Shaking his head, he turns at the next corridor, picking up the pace a bit as he tries to make it to the elevator. Just in time, he squeezes into the open door, swipes his security card and presses the floor number. He looks up and offers a smile to the other occupant in the elevator.
Daniel is startled at seeing the face of his murderer...his alternates' murderer standing so close to him.
Major Tate stares at Daniel for a moment, surprise clearly on his face, "Dr. Jackson?"
Daniel leans his back against the wall of the elevator, crossing his arms over his chest as he nods, "Yes. That's me."
Wearing a slight scowl, Tate offers, "I...I'm Major Tate. I don't believe we've been properly introduced" and he extends a hand.
Daniel stares a moment before he straightens, quickly taking the offered hand and shaking it, "Oh...well...yes. Ah..."
Tate pumps the hand, continuing, voice sounding strained, "I have to be completely honest with you...I'm rather surprised to see you up and about. Last I heard, someone had taken a stick to you."
Daniel releases the grip, returning his hand back to the safety of his body and resists the urge to wipe it on the side of his pants. He says, "Well...rumors fly no matter how hard you try. I'm fine, really."
Tate blinks, nodding as he says, "Well, I'm glad to hear that." He steps forward, placing a hand on Daniel's shoulder, saying, "It's really good to see you well."
Daniel smiles, trying to contain his nervousness as he convinces himself he feels this way only because of what he saw the alternate Tate do, "Uh...thanks." Remembering Sam had said about Tate threatening to take Jess away, he asks, "What brings you to the SGC?"
Tate offers a sickly smile, saying, "No need to worry Dr. Jackson. Considering Ms. O'Neill's terminal condition, it isn't reasonable for us to focus our efforts on her safety. I've been informed that she won't last the night."
Daniel blinks, not missing a beat as he says, "Yes...too bad about that. Very tragic...."
Tate nods, adding, "I'm actually on my way now to see the gentleman accused in your abduction and...apparent assault. I've been assigned to investigate the matter."
Daniel swallows hard, suddenly grateful that the elevator has stopped, doors opening. He says, "Oh, really? Well...send him my best." And he steps out.
Daniel makes his way to ISO RM 4, trying to shake the creepy feeling of Tate's hand on his shoulder. He walks in, seeing Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Jess seated at the small table. Jess glances up, looking tired but smiling as she sees him.
Daniel returns the smile, moving to walk up to the group, saying, "You'll never guess who I ran into just now."
"Who?" asks Sam.
Daniel answers, "Ah...uh..." he looks down at Jess before saying, "Our special friend...the one causing all that trouble lately." Looking at Jack, he continues slowly, "And for a guy I've never actually met before, he seemed very interested in my well being."
Jess stares down at the table, letting her hair fall into her eyes. Softly she says, "I'm not stupid...I know it's Tate you're talking about."
Jack frowns at Daniel, asking. "Did he say anything?"
Daniel places a reassuring hand on Jess' shoulder, saying, "Uh...he mentioned he was on his way to talk to Mr. Smith."
"Huh..." Jack stands, glancing at Sam and says, "Carter, don't forget to let the lab rat here up for air in a bit, ok? I got something to take care of. T?" Teal'c stands to follow Jack out of the room.
As they leave, Jess calls out, "Jack?"
He pauses at the door and turns to look at her, "Yeah?"
She stares at him for a moment before saying, "He died because a son of a bitch killed him."
Jack meets her gaze steadily for a few seconds, then turns and walks out.
Daniel raises a brow at the exchange, taking the seat vacated by Jack, and reaches out to hold Jess' hand. He tries to reassure her by saying, "It'll be ok."
Jess sighs as she answers, "'course it will. It can't get any worse." She shrugs her shoulders as she rests her chin on her hands, placing her elbows on the table.
Daniel coughs, blinking a few times before turning to Sam and asks, "What's this about a lab rat?'
It takes Sam a moment to focus on his question, and then she all but beams, "She's like a portable DHD, Daniel."
Looking between Jess and Sam, Daniel asks, voice incredulous, "What?"
***Lockup***
The door opens and Tate steps into the small room, staring at the prisoner as he sits in a chair, arms drawn up to the table, pillowing his head. Turning to one of the airmen, he says, "I can handle it from here." And waits until the door is closed.
Roger Smith looks up, raises a brow but says nothing as Tate sits down in the chair opposite. Straightening, he waits for Tate to begin.
Tate leans into the table, fire in his eyes as he hisses, "What the hell are you playing at? I told you that a lesson had to be learned!"
Smith moves his gaze swiftly to the door, then back at Tate before he too leans forward, asking, "What're you talking about?"
Scowling at the man sitting before him, Tate says, "Don't play games with me. The people I work for...the people _we_ work for can just as easily make you dead prisoner."
Smith rubs at his jaw, saying, "I haven't forgotten. But I still don't know what you're talking about. We gave Jackson the full treatment, just like you wanted. There's no way in hell that guy is going to forget what we did." He chuckles, "If he's even still alive."
Clenching his fist, Tate hisses, "Bullshit! I just saw him not 20 minutes ago walking down the hallway, not a mark on him."
Smith stares at him, tilting his head then shaking it, "He was crawling around in his own filth the last time I saw him. There's no way that guy is doing anything more than keeping company with a bedpan right now."
Both men jump, startled as the door behind them bursts open. Tate stands quickly as he watches O'Neill come in, anger showing clearly on his face. Smith quickly stands, making his way to the back of the room and watches.
O'Neill shouts "Tate!" and grabs him by the neck, slamming him up against the table, "Who do you work for?"
Raising a hand to fend off O'Neill's hold on him, Tate says quickly, "I work for the same people you do, Colonel. The United States Air force! Let me go before I have you brought up on assault charges!"
O'Neill's grip is as steady as his voice as he says, "You really think we're that stupid? We got the entire conversation on tape."
Teal'c appears In the doorway behind O'Neill, a Zat'nikatel in one hand.
Eyeing Teal'c and watching as the airmen walk down the far end of the corridor, Tate says desperately, "General Hammond would find this highly irregular, Colonel. I am just doing my job."
Jack grins viciously, "Hammond's on his way to the Pentagon, taking care of some unfinished business. You're dealing with me now."
Tate smirks, "What do you think he's going to be able to do?" He stumbles back onto the table just as O'Neill lets him go with a slight shove.
Gesturing with his hands in a forward motion, O'Neill says, "Teal'c."
Nodding, Teal'c activates the Zat and points it at Tate
Still half sitting on the table, Tate's eyes go wide, and he asks quickly, "What're you doing?"
Teal'c says simply, "I am going to kill you."
"What!? You can't do that!"
O'Neill looks at Smith, who has been doing his best to melt into the wall behind him. "You want to talk now?"
Smith starts to babble, "I work for him. I'm just following his orders. I don't know who he works for, honest. He told us to find out what we could from Jackson and to, to, to make sure he wouldn't forget who called the shots. He wanted to make sure _you_ would get the message."
As Smith talks, Tate stands taller, straightening his tie as he rubs at his throat, "O'Neill, I know you're bluffing. You won't risk your career for this." His words end in a scream as Teal'c shoots and he slides to the floor.
O'Neill picks him up, forcing him to sit in one of the chairs and shakes him, trying to get him back to consciousness. Twitching as his body reacts to the after effects of the weapon, Tate opens his eyes and focuses on O'Neill even as he feels himself pulled to his feet.
O'Neill says quietly, "First shot stuns. Second shot kills. Talk."
Tate shakes his head, trying to clear it, gasping, even as he manages to say, "I should've had Jackson killed. A double funeral for him and the kid would've been perfect."
Disgusted, O'Neill draws a fist back and punches him in the face, letting him go crashing onto the table, "Airmen!" he calls out. As they arrive, he says, "Put him in lockup." And as the airmen bend down to grab Tate, O'Neill shakes his head, saying, "Get him out of my sight!"
*To be continued...Only one more chapter to go! - As ever, Feedback is adored!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99
You can\'t save them all - can you? pt 18 by Whisper99
You can't save them all - can you? pt 18

You can't save them all - can you? pt 18

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: A Begining
Category: Mystery
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/20/05

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.
Note: This is it...the last chapter in this story. And the end of the day, after all is said and done, no matter how good or bad it is...life goes on...
I hope you enjoy.
One month later - Early Morning
Jack heads over to the VIP room assigned to Jess. He doesn't bother knocking as the door is wide open and he walks in. "Hey."
She sits at a table, quietly putting together a large puzzle and looks up at him, "Hey. You clean up nice."
He grins at her, looking down at himself and adjust the jacket of his dress blues.
He walks over to her, tilting his head slightly so he can see which puzzle she's working on. It's a scenic picture of a stormy beach, waves crashing into a pier and the sun just setting in the distance. He asks, "Didn't you do this one already?"
She shrugs slightly, turning back to her puzzle and fits another piece in, "Yeah...but I like this one. The doctor says it's therapeutic."
"Right...but you sure he didn't mean maybe putting together new ones?" He asks as he makes his way to sit on the edge of her bed and leans over to pick up the little brown bear that sits on her pillow.
She ignores the question, picking through the pile of loose puzzle pieces. He gives the bear a once over, he starts to play catch with it. "Well, ok then. Uh, I came by to let you know that I'm off to, you know, do that thing, in about an hour."
She nods, not looking up at him and says, "Ok."
Jack tosses the bear back onto the bed as he stands, ready to head out. Pausing at the door he asks, "Jess...I was just wondering..." he clears his throat and asks again, "I want to know what you..."
Holding the next puzzle piece between her thumb and forefinger, Jess doesn't look up at him as she cuts him off, saying softly, "Jack, don't. I can't have what I want, so please don't ask."
Jack nods, rubbing under his chin as he watches her work the puzzle. Her words remind him of the last ditch effort of contacting the Asgard to see if they could find her a way home. Impossible, they said...there is no way to assure which universe to send her back to and even less likely to send her to the correct time. Ok O'Neill, you know that's not an option. She's here now and all you've got to do is this one last thing that'll pretty much guarantee her safety. You owe me, O'Neill. Oh? To hell I do! I don't even know you...Jack shakes his head slightly as he has this argument with his imaginary other self. He looks at the girl sitting across from him, her words echoing in his ears and he knows what he has to do. "Alright then. So we do this my way. No complaints, ok?"
She nods, finding another piece and says, "No sir. No complaints." As he turns to leave the room, she mutters under her breath, "Just a few objections, probably." and she gives up on the puzzle, staring at the door.
Later that afternoon
Hammond looks up as someone knocks on his door. He sees Jack holding a manila envelope in his hands.
"Come in, Colonel. How did it go?
"As we expected Sir." He gestures to the envelope in his hands as he steps inside the office. "It's all been signed, sealed and it's just waiting for delivery."
Hammond smiles and stands, extending his hand, "I suppose congratulations are in order."
Jack looks a bit bemused as he shakes the offered hand, "Thank you sir. It's kind of weird."
"Having second thoughts?"
"No...no, sir. It's just...I never thought I'd be playing this role again."
"Well, it is an unusual case. I'd wager you've set precedent."
Jack smiles, "I suppose so. I feel I owe it to the other me."
"I understand son. Have you told her the news yet?"
"No...I wanted to see you first. I have a request. I was hoping to take a few days off. Y'know...to get things settled."
"Take a week Jack. Do what you have to."
Jack nods, "Thank you sir."
Short time later
Jack heads to Daniel's office, hoping to talk to him before seeing Jess. As he approaches the office, he can hear voices and knows the girl is there. Pausing right before the door, he quickly rehearses his speech and grins, thinking of the reaction he'll get. He walks in and states, "Well, it's official, you're now an O'Neill."
Sure enough, Jess rolls her eyes at that but offers him a smile as she asks, "So I'm legal? No longer an unclassified entity? A card carrying member of Clan O'Neill?"
Jack nods as he hands her the manila envelope. She opens it and dumps the contents on Daniel's desk.
Daniel smiles at Jack, "Congratulations. Shouldn't you be passing out cigars with little pink bands on them?"
"Thanks and uh...maybe later." He looks at Jess, who has gone quiet as she looks over the paperwork. He asks, "Well?"
Pouring through the contents, she asks, "What...you couldn't get me a drivers license?" She sighs, looking at the birth certificate, "Y'know, would it have been so hard to make me eighteen, seeing as you're already forging these records?"
Daniel counters, "If you want to get technical about it, we could have kept your birth year and made you three."
Jess blinks. She looks between the two of them before she sticks her tongue out at Daniel.
Sam comes in and asks, "Hi guys. You're back early, Sir. I take it everything went well?"
Jess grins at her and then drawls out an answer before Jack can, "Yeah-huh. I am officially the result of a youthful indiscretion of one Colonel Jonathan O'Neill."
Sam says, "Uh...so that's the, official story you settled on?"
Jack shrugs, "It's a simple enough to remember."
Sam smiles as she moves over to Jess, "So Jess, have you decided which school you're going to yet?"
Jack winces slightly as Sam breaks this news.
Jess eyes Sam, "School?"
Daniel offers, "Yeah, as in high school."
Jess snorts and says in disbelief, "I'm not going to high school."
Jack tries to mollify her, "You tell `em Jess."
Daniel chastises, "Jack! You aren't helping."
Jack frowns, nodding, "Yeah, he's right. If you don't go, I'll end up in jail or something. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to keep you out of school. I think."
Daniel and Sam glare at him and Jack offers them a helpless shrug.
"Jack, I thought we agreed I'd stick to doing my school work using the computer."
"Well...no. If you had been paying any attention, I said we'd make the change slow, but it's going to happen."
Sam offers, "I know it's different than what you're used to, but we all agree that..."
Jess starts to put away the various papers back into the envelope and says, slightly exasperated, "Yes, yes, I know. Acclimate, incorporate and integrate, yeah, yeah, I got it." She shoots a look at Jack and offers him a sweet smile as she says under her breath, "My therapist is going to cost you a fortune, old man."
Jack makes a face and asks, "Daniel, remind me again why this was a good idea?"
Daniel grins, "Because it's the right thing to do, Jack."
"Right." Jack straightens as he looks over at Jess and asks, "Ready to blow this popsicle stand?"
Jess stares at the envelope containing her old but new identity before she returns his gaze. She says quietly, "You know, nothing good ever came from me being out there."
Jack looks at her and says simply, "C'mon. Let's go home." He reaches out to her, puts his arm around her shoulders and walks her out.
Epilogue
The sounds of the ocean crashing along the shore surround Shifu as he watches the girl. She sits close enough to the water that the waves break around her and by her smile it seems she enjoys the feeling of it. A voice calls out her name and he watches as she reluctantly leaves the tranquility the beach offers her to rejoin the others at the house by the sea.
He goes back to sit in idle contemplation. His thoughts stray in a hundred directions as he picks through his emotions and tries to find one that makes sense. So caught up is he that he does not notice the subtle change in the air around him.
She stands next to the boy and smiles softly, certain sadness in her eyes. She reaches out and touches his head, stroking his hair and smiles as he looks up, surprised.
"Oma."
She asks in a soft voice, "What have you learned on your journey since we last saw each other?"
"I have learned...patience...how to observe..."
"Without interference?"
He does not answer but continues, "I have learned...restlessness..." and he falters.
She smiles softly as she cups his chin in her hand and tells him, "It is love that causes living beings to awaken from their sleep."
He admits sadly, "I could not let her die. I...I see myself in her." He lowers his gaze and asks, "Am I to be punished now?"
"Your love was pure in its motivation as were your actions in saving her." Oma watches as the girl makes her way once again from the house back to the ocean, letting a towel drop behind her as she steps into the water. A voice from the house admonishes a warning to not swim out too far.
"One can argue that this..." and she gestures before her, "is punishment enough. Love requires effort because it takes responsibility for all living beings, not just one. "
"It is only one I care about. Will she ever understand?"
"Will you, child?" Oma smiles sadly, stroking his hair again, "A broken mirror never reflects again; fallen flowers never go back to the old branches. Nothing is gained without seeing."
Hope flares in his chest at her words and he focuses now on this new sensation, this new feeling and he does not notice when Oma leaves.
-Fin?
Footnote:
FACTS:
A Stargate: Constructed a millennia ago by the Ancients, it is a massive, circular ring with an inner track of 39 symbols representing star constellations, capable of sending people and objects hundreds of thousands of light-years via an interstellar conduit.
Ancient Technology: Some ancient technology can be controlled by the mind of an operator, if the operator possesses a rare gene from the Ancients that allows them to use the technology.
Jonathan "Jack" O'Neill: The Asgard saw the potential of the human race in Jack and chose to ally themselves with Earth. Thor has even revealed that the Asgard have found the colonel to be quite unique -- the next stage in human evolution.
Ayiana: An unascended Ancient who was left behind on Earth when the Ancients left between five and 10 million years ago. She was the first sign that Ancients were, in fact, earlier versions of advanced humans -- the first evolution of our form of life. Samantha Carter and Janet Fraiser theorized that the Ancients may have evolved millions of years before humans; our resemblance to them also implies that they played a deliberate role in our evolution.
We know that there are an infinite number of alternate realities. (See episodes There But For The Grace Of God, Point of View)
SUPPOSITION:
Ancient Technology: What if all Ancient technology could be controlled by the mind of an operator? The Stargate opens interstellar conduits; it is therefore reasonable to assume it may have been considered safer to operate via a DHD or a handheld device, since these objects have built in safety mechanisms to avoid certain accidents (see episodes 1969 and Red Sky). If a Stargate is operated via the mind of an operator, who is to say that the interstellar conduits can't rip through dimensions given the right circumstances...or the right talent.
Shifu: The harcesis child. With instruction from the being known as Oma Desala, he has ascended to a higher plane of existence, where he no longer has need of a physical body. Much influenced by Daniel Jackson's example, he mimics his friends' act of selflessness and takes action for the first time by rescuing Jess O'Neill. His actions have opened the way for Jess' future. He is also a boy in love.
Jessmin "Jess" O'Neill; Originally from an alternate reality, she is the unlikely product of the union between Jack O'Neill & the Ancient known as Ayiana. One such as she holds the key to human evolution in her hands...her existence the link between all that was once lost to the dim past and all that could be in the future. Given the chance, she may take human evolution beyond the next step into realms unknown.
Shifu and Jessmin: Alone, their potential is vast. It is beyond imagination what they could accomplish together.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=213