Login

There Should Always Be Cake von lilferret

[Reviews - 3]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Bemerkung:

Written for Bluewillowtree as a Secret Santa gift.
“Major Carter, is it not customary to kiss under the mistletoe?”

Sam wrinkled her brow, tilting her head and giving Teal’c her best confused expression. He lifted an eyebrow at her and she turned to Jack. He looked smug. What in the…

“Up, Sam. Look up.”

At Janet’s words Sam raised her eyes to the doorframe above her and then bowed her head, shaking it slowly. She only had a moment’s respite, however, as Jack lifted her chin with a finger and gave her a quick kiss. It was nothing passionate or out of line, but she felt her cheeks reddening.

“Sir…”

“Ah ah ah, Carter,” Jack interrupted, taking the pie dish from her hands and turning toward the coffee table. “It’s tradition.”

Sam sighed, catching her dad’s eyes, surprised to see him wink at her. Daniel and Cassie were whispering conspiratorially to each other, Janet was obviously trying not to laugh, and Teal’c was looking as smug as Jack. They never failed to amaze her.

As her CO served the cherry pie, Sam found herself thinking about the kiss. A little too much, if she were being honest with herself. His lips had been soft and warm, and she was starting to feel a little overheated. Honestly Sam, she scolded herself. It was a chaste kiss. Get over it! You’re acting like a teenager.

But as he took his seat across from her and their eyes met she could see his mind was working overtime as well. He took a bite of his pie, his eyes never leaving hers, and there was the slightest hint of a smile at the corner of his mouth. That very nicely shaped, soft, amazing mouth.

She swallowed hard, tearing her eyes from his and attempting to join in the conversation. It wasn’t easy.


~~~


Sam wrapped her arms around herself as she stood on the back patio, staring up at the soft flakes of snow. She was bundled in a thick winter coat but she still felt the air stir behind her as someone joined her. Jack.

“Carter.”

“Sir.”

“I swear it wasn’t my idea.”

She chuckled, holding herself tighter to ward off the shiver that went through her. It was pretty cold out there. “Let me guess, Janet put you up to it?”

“Nope.”

“Daniel?”

“Well, he hung the stuff, but only because the mastermind was too short to do so.”

“Cassie?”

“Yup.”

Sam laughed, remembering Daniel and Cassie whispering to each other and the little girl clinging to him in a fit of giggles. “She’s going to be quite the handful when she’s older.”

“She already is,” he replied, turning toward her and smiling. “Reminds me of another girl I know.”

Sam met his eyes, returning the smile. She felt it falter when he reached toward her, adjusting the collar on her coat. His hand lingered a little longer than necessary and then brushed down her arm. When he grazed her elbow she shivered again, not thoroughly convinced it was the cold this time.

“C’mere,” he murmured, tugging gently on her arm.

An objection rose in her throat but went no further, his arms wrapping around her waist and his mouth closing over hers before it could be voiced. Her hands found the front of his jacket, just settling on top at first, but as his lips worked against hers she clung to the material, needing it for support.

This kiss was not chaste and definitely heading across a line that she knew she wasn’t meant to cross. But she didn’t pull away, instead deepening the kiss, and she felt his arms tighten around her in response.

The clearing of a throat behind them had them jumping apart, Jack finding the plant beside the doors suddenly fascinating and Sam blushing furiously, arms returned to wrap around herself. “Dad!”

“Sam,” he replied, still standing in the doorway. “Jack, may I have a moment alone with my daughter?”

“Yes. Of course. I’ll just be…” He gestured toward the house, escaping quickly before he finished his sentence.

Sam felt for all the world like the little kid who’d just gotten caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Forget the fact that she was an adult. Having her dad walk in on her and the Colonel kissing… Oh God, they’d been kissing. This was bad. This was very bad.

“Dad, I can explain,” she started, blinking when he put his hand up.

“You don’t owe me an explanation, Sam,” he told her, stepping closer until he could hold both her shoulders.

“I think I do.”

“Sam. Sammie.” He pulled her into a hug, resting his chin on her head. “I came out here to tell you that you have my blessing.”

She had to have heard him wrong. She couldn’t see his face but he certainly didn’t sound like he was joking. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

He pushed her back, slightly, holding her chin much the way Jack had earlier. “Life’s too short, kiddo,” he said, giving her a soft smile. “I’ve seen the way he looks at you. And the way you look at him. He’s a good man, Sam.”

“Dad, the regs…”

“Screw the regs.”

“DAD!”

“Look, Sam,” he sighed, placing his hands on her shoulders. “I know the regs, and I lived by them for many years. But sometimes life throws you a different path and you have to take it. Look at me and Selmak.”

“You had cancer, Dad. That’s a little different scenario.”

“But I almost refused to be her host,” he argued. “It wasn’t a path I was comfortable with at first. But it was the right decision.”

“I shouldn’t have let him kiss me,” she insisted, turning her eyes to the sky again. “Either time.”

“Don’t beat yourself up, Sam. He loves you. And you love him.” She opened her mouth to object but he held up his hand. “Don’t even try to deny it, kid. I know you better than you think I do.”

They stood in silence for a few moments, Sam considering what her father had said. “Thanks, Dad,” she finally replied, giving him a smile.

“You should probably get back in there before everyone thinks you left.”

She chuckled again, dipping her head and walking past him into the house. The warmth greeted her immediately and her face tingled with the temperature change. When she entered the living room she found Jack saying goodnight to everyone before heading toward the front door.

“Sir,” she called, following him. He didn’t answer but held the door open for her to exit before him. She walked with him to his truck, hands folded in front of her as they came to a stop beside his driver’s side door. “You don’t have to leave.”

“Yeah, Carter, I do,” he responded, shoving his hands in his pockets. “I promised myself a week of fishing.”

“Sir, your cabin’s in Minnesota.”

“I’m aware, Carter.”

“The lake would be frozen this time of year.”

He looked down for a moment, appearing to consider what she’d said. “Ice fishing?”

“Sir…”

“Damn it, Carter,” he sighed, pulling his hands from his pockets and raising them to rub at his face. “Fine. Ok, so I’m not going fishing. Just home. Before I do something I’ll really be sorry for.”

She frowned. “I’m not sorry.”

“No?”

“No.”

“Not even a little?”

She smiled, shaking her head. “We’ll figure it out, Colonel.”

“Figure it out as in…”

“As in how to have our cake and eat it too.”

His eyebrows raised and a smile tugged at his lips. “I like cake.”

“Me too.”

“There should always be cake, Carter.”

“I tend to agree, sir.”

“Janet should have had cake instead of pie,” he informed her. “But don’t tell the doc I said so.”

“I won’t, sir,” she laughed, stepping closer and lifting her face in invitation. He took it, cupping the back of her head with both hands and kissing her softly. His lips were warm and welcoming in the cold, snowy air.

He pulled back, leaning his forehead against hers. “Merry Christmas, Carter.”

“Merry Christmas, sir.”

She stepped back and let him get his keys out of his pocket, unlocking the door and climbing inside. She smiled as he started the engine with ease, knowing the Colorado Springs weather was quite a bit warmer than most winters.

And as he drove away she headed back to the house, humming to herself. She had a little girl to hug.

~fin~