The Definition Of Family von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Jack, you know Sam’s still asking what I did when I was visiting you to end up with a sprained wrist,” Daniel said as he held the phone to his ear with his shoulder while he tapped at his keyboard with his good hand.

“Well you should have thought up a lie before you went back,” Jack laughed at him.

“Sam can always tell when I’m lying,” Daniel sighed frowning as his friend laughed even more.

The alarms sounded throughout the base and Daniel sat up straighter, “That should be them.”

“Do you have the email ready to send?” Jack asked.

Daniel rolled his eyes even though Jack couldn’t see him, “No, Jack I thought I’d write it just now.”

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Danny,” Jack reminded him.

Daniel laughed, “Has to do with the company I’ve been keeping for the past few years.”

“Send it,” Jack ordered.

“I already have,” Daniel replied, “And just received one from Jarod,” Daniel forwarded it to Jack before he quickly scanned the text and gasped, “Oh damn.”

“I second that,” Jack murmured, “We can’t even do anything.”

Daniel let out an annoyed sigh as well, “How are things going?”

“We’re cleaning up now,” Jack told him.

“Have you found anything about my…”

“Not yet,” Jack cut him off, “But the moment I do I’ll call you I promise.”

“I know,” Daniel sighed watching the computer as the connection cut.

“Daniel,” Jack snapped suddenly, “Are they still there?”

“No, the Gates shut down,” Daniel replied, “What’s wrong?”

“I just got an email from our clean-up crew,” Jack told him, “Parker and Lyle weren’t the only assassins sent on the last trip. There’s one more.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know,” Jack replied, “There’s no way to warn them.”

“We just have to hope Rodney’s sense for impending danger is on,” Daniel sighed, “The next contact is not for three weeks.”

They fell into silence both staring at the emails on their screens.



Jarod sat at the computer with Parker and Emily getting ready to send the email to Earth via Rodney’s system. With Jeannie still unconscious Rodney was refusing to leave the infirmary even for this but luckily Jarod knew the computer system just as well. The moment the Gate opened he hit send surprised as an email arrived for them.

“Oh my God,” Jarod murmured as he quickly read it.

“What?” Parker demanded at the shock on his face, “Jarod, what’s happened?”

“It’s over,” Jarod told her in shock, “The Centre…it’s gone. They’ve done it.”

“We’re free?” Emily gasped.

Jarod nodded too stunned to speak for several moments before continuing, “Jack and Daniel led a taskforce which took over the Blue Cove while other teams took over every other base they had.”

“What about my father?” Parker asked softly frowning at the other woman who looked at her coldly, “I know what he’s done but he’s still my father.”

Jarod rested his hand on her arm, “He’s safe and he’s agreed to testify against everyone else. Sydney and Broots are both safe as well.”

“Thank God,” Parker sighed, “This means once the Daedalus arrives back again we can all go home.”

“What’s the attachment?” Emily asked her brother who was staring in amazement at Parker.

“I don’t know,” Jarod mused, he clicked the button and gasped in astonishment at the picture that appeared on the screen.

“Mom and Dad,” Emily whispered amazed, “They’re safe and together.”

“I’ll finally get to meet her,” Jarod whispered, joy overwhelming him.



“Dr Starr,” Elizabeth greeted Jarod as he entered her office later that afternoon, “Please take a seat.”

Jarod sat opposite her waiting, “What can I do for you?”

“Considering Rodney is not able to work at the moment,” she started, “I need the team out there but I don’t want them to go one man down. You and Rodney are friends, so I was hoping you would take his place until he is able to rejoin them.”

Jarod looked at her a little shocked but nodded, “Of course. Until he’s ready to return to work I’ll take his place on the team.”

“Thank you, Dr,” Elizabeth smiled at him, “Dismissed.”

Jarod left her a smile on his face. He was more than happy to go off world at any time but with John’s team was a good thing.

“Why are you grinning?” Parker asked him when she met him in the lab.

“I’m going with John and his team until Rodney’s able to,” Jarod told her, “We don’t have much time left here, I want to get to see as much as possible.”

“Yeah,” Parker agreed, she stepped into him resting her head against his chest, “It feels strange knowing the Centre is gone. Knowing we’re actually free.”

Jarod wrapped his arms around her, “Yeah. It also means once we leave here we are no longer Hunter and Hunted. What then?”

She looked up at him her eyes filled with peace, “We’ll see.”

Jarod frowned, “We’ll see?”

“Yes,” she kissed him, “We’ll see.”

*********************************************

Carson glanced up from his work to check on Rodney. He was sleeping; his head had dropped onto the bed while his hand continued to hold Jeannie’s. Carson sighed wishing he could do more but it was now up to Jeannie to come back to them.

“What the hell did you do to your arm?” a familiar and unexpected voice came from the doorway.

“Laura?” Carson smiled, turning to find the strawberry blonde Lieutenant standing in the doorway grinning at him, “I didn’t know you were back.”

He stood and embraced her; their relationship had been short but had ended with them as good friends.

“Just got here,” she told him, “I was dropped off at the Alpha site before the Daedalus came here. I just arrived back through the Stargate.”

“It’s good to see you,” Carson told her genuinely.

“So what happened to your arm?” she asked again.

Carson shrugged slightly, “I was shot.”

Her eyes widened, “Dare I even ask for more than that?”

“I’d prefer if you didn’t,” Carson told her, “So, how’s Earth these days?”

Laura shrugged, “The usual. My parents were thrilled to have me back,” she moved to lean on the desk and frowned as she saw the man sleeping against the bed, “Is that Rodney?”

“Yeah,” Carson sighed brushing his hand through his hair, “His sister is in a serious condition.”

“His sister?” Laura asked confused.

Carson quickly gave her the story as much as he could watching her reaction. He’d always suspected Laura had feelings for Rodney but this just confirmed it.

“You should go in and see him,” Carson told her, “He could use a friendly face.”

Laura stared at him for several minutes a soft frown covering her face before she pushed off the desk and moved towards Rodney.



Rodney jumped as he felt someone gently touch his shoulder; he blinked blearily frowning as the figure came into view, “Cadman?”

“Hi, Rodney,” she said softly as she pulled a seat up beside him.

Rodney was more than a little shocked to find her there, he was sure she’d gone back to Earth on the Daedalus months ago.

“Do you mind if I sit with you for a while?” she asked, her voice gentle.

“That’d be nice,” he gave her a sad smile, he was too tired to ‘pretend’ just now and any small comfort was welcome.

Laura took his free hand and squeezed turning to look at the woman lying on the bed studying her. Rodney turned to his sister checking for any differences before returning his attention to the woman sitting at his side.

They’d met on the Daedalus on the way back from Earth after they’d reported on what had happened on Atlantis over the previous year, from the moment Rodney had met her there was something about Laura Cadman that intrigued Rodney but he knew that getting close to anyone at all was dangerous for both of them. So he’d been ‘Dr McKay’ around her making sure that she didn’t get anywhere close to the real Rodney. He’d been extremely disappointed to learn that she was interested in Carson but in a way relieved. He made a point of ignoring her until she’d been assigned to accompany him and Carson, then her consciousness had been trapped in his body. The constant ‘Pretend’ of those few days had taken it’s toll on him, unlike Jarod one thing Rodney needed was a short time each day when he could be himself and with her in his head he’d had to keep it up constantly. For the few days after it John had hovered near him making sure he was alright. After that he hadn’t seen her much, other than in the distance, until she’d helped during the situation with the Goa’uld in Caldwell trying to blow them all up.

“Why?” Rodney demanded to John a few days after, “Why does she constantly make those comments every time I’m around her?”

John laughed amazed at the naivety of his friend, “It’s like at school, Rodney. You know when the girl who liked you would make fun of you while you would go push her or pull her hair.”

“Oh yes, John,” Rodney replied sarcastically, “Because I had that kind of childhood.”

John frowned wincing at his mistake, “Oh yeah. Sorry about that.”

It was at that point John realised that his panic at Alina’s attentions on Dagan the previous year had been the real Rodney and not part of his pretend. Rodney had been raised completely isolated from the real world and when he’d suddenly entered it an adult he had very little idea on how to handle people, especially women.

“You know, Rodney;” John said softly, “She and Carson are no longer a couple. Why don’t you actually ask her out?”

Panic covered his face, “What?”

“Never mind,” John patted his shoulder.

Laura had left not long after and Rodney had decided just to forget all about her. Except now she was sitting at his side her hand gently holding his and he felt more comforted by this than by anything the others had done.

*********************************************

Jarod felt as though he’d never be warm again. The rain was lashing down outside the cave they’d taken shelter in. Teyla had managed to start a fire but with little dry wood it wasn't big nor was it going to last long.

“Doing okay, Doc?” John asked taking the seat beside Jarod.

“Fine, Colonel,” Jarod replied with a nod.

John laughed, “This is too weird. You don’t complain at all.”

“Missing Rodney?” Jarod noted.

John sighed glancing over to where Ronon and Teyla were sitting talking, “Worried about him. I’ve never seen him like this before.”

Jarod sighed, “He’s feeling guilty that he didn’t sense she was in danger.”

“You ever thought about how he does that?” John asked thoughtfully, “I mean what does it feel like?”

Jarod shrugged, “I can pretend, Colonel but I don’t have Rodney’s abilities. He tried to explain when we were children but he never could. Colonel, I know you trust Rodney but you have to also trust in his gifts.”

“I do,” John protested.

Jarod replied quietly, “No you don’t. You fear his abilities.”

“I...”

“Rodney’s sensitive to people’s moods,” Jarod reminded the other man, “But he picks up on yours especially. Fearing that fact about him pushes him away, this isolates him.”

“Look, Jarod,” John managed to keep his voice low, “Rodney’s my friend and yes, there are times when his unusual…gifts make me nervous but I trust him.”

They both stopped talking as Ronon and Teyla joined them focussing instead on eating.



John sat during his watch thinking over what Jarod had said to him. He did trust Rodney but there was always this strange feeling John got whenever Rodney used his gifts around him.

But that was to be expected. The things Rodney could do were actually frightening if you sat down and thought about it. The man could pretend to be anything and he was pretending. They were putting their lives in the hands of a man who didn’t have the experience he claimed.

“Are you alright?” Teyla asked softly moving to sit at his side.

“Fine,” John replied with a shrug, “Shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

“It is my watch in less than an hour,” she gave him a smile, “Now, what is troubling you?”

“Rodney.”

“Of course,” she smiled, “Who you usually worry about.”

John frowned, “What do you mean?”

“You worry a great deal about Rodney,” Teyla reminded him, “He is your friend, in fact you are like brothers.”

“I wouldn’t say…”

“You squabble like siblings,” she cut him off as he protested, “Yet if anyone else attacks, you instantly spin to the others defence. That is family.”

“You know what that makes you doesn’t it?” he asked.

Looking at the wicked gleam in his eyes Teyla frowned, “I would rather not. I believe I shall nap until my watch.”

With a smile she left him to his musings.

*********************************************

“Rodney,” a gentle voice pulled him back into consciousness from the comfortable black of sleep.

He jerked up and found Laura looking down on him, “What?”

“You didn’t look very comfortable the way you were sleeping,” Laura gave him a smile, handing him a mug of coffee.

“Thanks,” he sighed rubbing his eyes, “Has there been any change?”

“Not yet,” she replied softly, “Rodney, you need to get out of here and get some proper sleep.”

“No,” Rodney snapped, “I’m not leaving her.”

“Rodney…”

“I left her alone and Lyle almost killed her,” he snapped at Laura making her step back slightly, “I won’t…I can’t…”

“Rodney,” Laura said, keeping her voice as gentle as she could, “He’s gone. There’s no way he can get back to Atlantis and it’s more than likely we’ll never find him.”

“Find him,” Rodney’s eyes were wide and he slammed the mug onto the cupboard beside him darting out of the room.

“Rodney?” Carson called as he ran past him followed by Laura, “What’s going on?” he called to the Lieutenant.

“I don’t know,” she replied pausing for a second, “You watch her I’ll follow him.”

Carson nodded watching Laura as she started to run after Rodney.

“What now?” Carson wondered heading in to sit with Jeannie.



Emily was shocked when Rodney appeared in her office.

“I need you to do something for me,” he started without any sort of pleasantries, “I need you to stay with Jeannie. I don’t care what else is happening I need to know someone is with her.”

“Rodney?”

“Please, Emily,” he grabbed her hand desperation in his eyes, “Please do this for me.”

“Of course,” she breathed, finding him hugging her tightly, “Its okay, Rodney. I promise.”

She was even more shocked as he kissed her forehead.

“Thanks, Emily. Look after them for me,” he whispered before disappearing.

Emily stood a little shell-shocked jumping as a woman appeared her long red gold hair flying in her face.

“Where’d he go?” the woman demanded.

“Who are you?” Emily asked.

“Laura Cadman,” she introduced herself, “Rodney came this way. Where did he go?”

“I think he might have been heading towards the Jumper Bays,” Emily replied still confused.

“Thanks,” Laura replied with a nod before heading away.

“This place just gets stranger,” Emily sighed, switching off her computer and heading up to the infirmary to keep her promise.



“Rodney, what the hell are you doing?” Laura yelled finding him inside one of the Jumpers.

“Going after Lyle,” he told her without looking up from the controls.

“What?” she asked before waving it away, “Rodney, you need to stop this. You need to go back to the infirmary and wait until Colonel Sheppard gets back.”

“Rodney!” she gave a quick cry of shock as he picked her up and moved her out of his way. Annoyed she moved back in front of him.

He stared at her, his eyes darker than she’d ever seen, “Get out of my way or I will move you.”

Laura folded her arms across her chest, “I’m not letting you do something this stupid.”

Rodney growled grabbing her arm he spun her pressing his fingers against a pressure point in her neck holding her as she fell unconscious against him. Rodney gently lifted her into his arms and carried her outside the Jumper before placing her on the bench in the one next to it.

“Sorry,” he murmured to her pushing a few stray hairs out of her face.

With a sigh Rodney headed back into the other Jumper, he closed his eyes and taking a deep breath he let his mind loose focussing on Lyle, focussing on the bastard who had tried to take away his family.

His fingers danced across the controls without thought, ignoring the calls from Elizabeth he headed out to find and kill Lyle.