Finding Closure von Rocza

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Approaching Atlantis, the team pieces together Ford's story.
Chapter 8 – The Ballad of Lt Ford

They were almost to Atlantis and after spending their travel days in research; their quarters looked less like a cramped sleeping area and more like the bullpen at NCIS Headquarters. Gibbs had printed up several photos of key personnel in the investigation and had started a timeline using the plain metal walls.

Abby had taken over one corner and had done something similar with the scientific data on the enzyme and the medical reports from Dr Beckett, the treating physician for Lt Ford. She had added a second photo of Lt Ford showing the visible changes that had taken place after he was attacked by the wraith and comparing them to before and after shots of Col Everett, another survivor of a wraith feeding.

“I’m never going to see vampires in the same light,” she said quietly to herself, considering Colonel Everett’s photos again and shuddering.

Jon’s role had been to serve as general gofer and to coordinate with the ships crew in acquiring supplies. He easily slipped into his assumed role. He found that he was enjoying learning about the investigation process. He also found that his inherited knowledge was useful in trying to determine the ‘why’ part of the process. Abby took care of the ‘how’ and Gibbs was gradually teaching him how to find the ‘why.’ His command training had given him the tools on how to motivate people. It could also be used to find not only the strategic reasons for a group’s motivations, but an individual’s motivations within the group.

“Alright,” Gibbs interrupted his thoughts. “Let’s go over what we know. Probie, you start,” he said pointing at Jon.

Jon gave a resigned sigh. He was sure that Gibbs was trying to aggravate him. But Gibbs seemed to have a harder time saying his cover name, so he used ‘Probie’ instead. He shook off his resentment and began the story once again, “During the siege of Atlantis, Lt Ford’s team encountered enemy wraith and lost contact with the control tower. Approximately one hour after the battle was over, Control was able to detect his lifesign floating in the surrounding ocean. Daedalus was contacted and Lt Ford was recovered. Hermiod and Dr. Lindsey Novak transported the lieutenant and an unknown wraith to the Daedalus and informed the infirmary to have security standing by and then transported the two back to the city,” Jon paused waiting for Gibbs to interrupt. The last two weeks had taught him to anticipate the break.

“Abs,” Jethro gestured for her to continue the story.

Abby gave him a radiant smile, and continued, “According to Dr Beckett, the attending physician, the two arrived in his infirmary and that while the wraith was dead, Lt Ford was miraculously alive. Dr Beckett speculated that the wraith had begun feeding when it was suddenly killed. This is why the wraith was still attached to the lieutenant and why the lieutenant’s system had been flooded with the wraith feeding enzyme. Dr Beckett conducted extensive research into the enzyme since this encounter and has been able to prove his theory that the excessive dose of feeding enzyme is why Lt Ford was able to survive in the ocean until he had been found. But it was a big mystery at the time.”

“Unfortunately, a large dose of the feeding enzyme has some severe side effects. Initially, the person feels stronger and faster and the senses are enhanced, but as the enzyme breaks down in the body, it upsets the chemical balances in the brain and metabolic processes. In addition to the usual withdrawal symptoms, the patient will display delusions and paranoia and is more likely to react violently to any confrontation. Lt Ford displayed all these symptoms when he made his escape from Atlantis,” Abby finished. She was enjoying playing her part as temporary field agent. Jon gave her a reassuring smile.

“Probie,” Gibbs gestured back to Jon.

“One hour after his rescue, Lt Ford insisted that he return to duty. When Dr Beckett refused, concerned for his health, Lt Ford attacked him in front of Dr Weir and his teammates. His team was able to talk him down and after displaying shock over his actions, he voluntarily returned to the infirmary where Dr Beckett sedated him. However, shortly after his return to the infirmary, he attacked his Marine guard and threatened Dr Beckett and Lt Kastor, a nurse, demanding they didn’t give him the remaining supply of the enzyme. After complying, Lt Ford left the infirmary,” Jon recited evenly. They had discussed this part of the case in detail. They were not sure what triggered the change in Ford’s behavior from compliance to non-compliance, but the change was too sudden. Something had to have pushed the lieutenant into taking action.

“Dr Beckett reported his escape and treated Sgt Vasquez for a mild concussion. LtCol Sheppard encountered Lt Ford once prior to his escape and tried to talk him down again, but failed and was unable to subdue the lieutenant. Lt Ford stole several weapons and his survival gear before taking a Puddlejumper spaceship and escaped through the Stargate to P3Y-659 where he ditched the ship and dialed another planet,” Jon concluded, shaking his head. “You know, something bothers me about this escape. One man should not have been able to elude the full security detachment no matter how strong or fast. Why did Dr Weir send only LtCol Sheppard? Why not the full detachment? Why not guard the Puddlejumpers if they knew that Lt Ford could fly one?”

Gibbs considered the reports and he had to agree. Gibbs excelled at finding the personal motives that moved people, but Jon’s command experience via General O’Neill often gave him a deeper insight into the more global motivation of the people involved. Jon knew what motivated command decisions. Dr Weir by all accounts was a reasonable and competent commander and LtCol Sheppard was a more than able second. So why would they suddenly make such obviously poor choices at such a critical time? Now that Jon had mentioned it, it was a glaring omission from the reports.

“Make a note to find out if anything else important was going on. Something that would require the security detachment to be utilized elsewhere,” Gibbs went over to his timeline and added a big question mark, and then nodded at Jon to continue with the summary.

Jon returned the nod gratefully. He was too used to being underestimated and dismissed in his younger body. Gibbs’ treatment was almost refreshing. He may not trust Jon’s experience in investigations, but he would listen to his input and consider it seriously. Maybe Gibbs was even starting to trust him. Jon continued, “Almost a month later, SGA-2, commanded by Maj Lorne discovered a dead wraith while conducting a routine planetary survey of P3M-736. Maj Lorne suspected that Earth-based weapons had been used to kill the wraith. Maj Lorne and Sgt Parrish immediately returned with the body and left Lt Kaufman and Sgt Reed to guard the Stargate. His suspicions were confirmed when Dr Beckett determined that the wraith’s enzyme sac had been removed post-mortem. SGA-1 returned with SGA-2 to search for signs of Lt Ford.” Jon paused, his voice tight, “They were ordered to attempt to return with the lieutenant dead or alive. He was considered too large a security risk. Col Caldwell was particularly vocal about how LtCol Sheppard failed to follow these orders.”

Jon shook his head at the callousness of those orders. But hard SGC experience had taught him that it was a necessary evil. He shook off his displeasure and continued, “During the course of the mission, Lt Ford shot Maj Lorne, Sgt Parrish, and Sgt Reed with a wraith stunner, kidnapped Dr McKay and eventually tried to execute him after Dr McKay was forced to shoot the lieutenant. Lt Ford was only stopped because of the timely interruption by Mr. Ronan Dex. The lieutenant once more attempted to run and was pursued by LtCol Sheppard. LtCol Sheppard cornered the lieutenant and tried to talk him into returning to Atlantis, but Lt Ford refused. LtCol Sheppard was forced to shoot the lieutenant in the leg to prevent him from escaping again. The injured Lt Ford jumped into the capture beam of a wraith Dart before Sheppard could secure him.”

Abby frowned, “Dr McKay wrote an exhaustive report about Lt Ford’s mental instability and his ‘dissociative complex’ upon his return. Man that guy can talk. Anyway, LtCol Sheppard’s report is much briefer. He simply stated that Lt Ford continues to have delusions about his superiority while taking the enzyme and his paranoia about the Atlantis expedition members. He stated that Lt Ford could still be brought in, but it will likely have to be on the lieutenant’s terms in order to regain his trust.”

Abby and Jon waited while Gibbs digested the information, “Did SGA-2 encounter Lt Ford at all?”

Jon smirked, “Yes, but it was limited to Lt Ford stunning them unconscious and leaving their bodies behind. Maj Lorne was stunned when Dr McKay was kidnapped. Sgt Reed and Sgt Parrish recall seeing Dr McKay jump from the bushes only to be stunned a second later by Lt Ford.”

“And SGA-1?” Gibbs asked, jotting a note next to Maj Lorne’s name.

“Dr McKay spent hours with the lieutenant, while LtCol Sheppard and Ronan Dex only spent a few minutes with him. Dex in hand-to-hand combat when he prevent Ford from executing McKay, and Sheppard just before the lieutenant escaped in the Dart,” Jon supplied.

“Dex?” Gibbs asked for clarification. “He wasn’t on SGA-1.”

“Not then. After saving his life, LtCol Sheppard and Teyla Emmagan convinced him to stay on Atlantis and fight the wraith. He took Lt Ford’s place on SGA-1,” Jon replied, as he double checked his notes.

Gibbs nodded, making another note. He reviewed the timeline and turned back to Jon, “You read Col Caldwell’s report,” he stated. “Based on what you know, is there a reason why LtCol Sheppard is still in command after Col Caldwell’s report was submitted. It was a pretty blatant accusation of incompetence if not outright treason. As the ranking military officer, I’m surprise it wasn’t given more weight.”

Jon nodded and considered his answer, “There could be several reasons,” he started. “First, the report was too hostile. You can see that something else was driving the hostility. Second, Col Caldwell may have been the ranking military officer, but he was not assigned to Atlantis. He was assigned to the Daedalus. Dr Weir was responsible for supervising LtCol Sheppard. Her report carried much more weight than Col Caldwell’s. In her report, Dr Weir supported LtCol Sheppard’s actions and went on to formally censure Col Caldwell for his interference in security matters on Atlantis. She requested that General O’Neill personally remind the colonel what his job entailed. Third and final reason, the facts don’t support the colonel’s story. Dr McKay shot Lt Ford. LtCol Sheppard shot Lt Ford. While both men tried to talk the lieutenant into returning to Atlantis voluntarily, they were both forced to act when the lieutenant refused. Their actions support their story and them following their orders to the best of their ability. The only questionable act was when Sheppard shot Ford in the leg. If he had taken the head shot, the wraith would not have captured him alive and the threat would have been eliminated.”

Jon shook his head, “But I doubt any military commander would prosecute him for taking the wounding shot instead. Ford was his second in command during a difficult year. At the time he thought he could secure the lieutenant and return him to Atlantis. The wraith dart passing by was just bad timing.”

Gibbs nodded in agreement. It was a hard decision for any commander to make. LtCol Sheppard couldn’t have known that the lieutenant would prefer capture by the wraith than by his own people. The story matched what he had read so far of the personalities of both LtCol Sheppard and Dr Weir. He was less sure about Dr McKay. He would have to reserve judgment until he was able to talk to McKay himself. He mulled over the facts for a few more moments, formulating questions and developing a strategy for interviewing the various players in this drama. Finally, he looked back at Abby and Jon and nodded.

Jon took that as his cue to continue the summary, “The last time anyone from the Atlantis expedition saw Lt Ford was approximately five months later. Lt Ford orchestrated a trap for SGA-1 using local contacts. After he captured the team, he addicted 3 of the members to the wraith feeding enzyme; Dr McKay, Ms Emmagan, and Mr Dex. He kept them for several days forcing them to prepare for a suicide mission against a wraith hive ship and continually dosing them on the enzyme. He used Dr McKay as a hostage to ensure their good behavior on the mission. LtCol Sheppard reported that they had been told that Dr McKay would be killed if the mission should fail for any reason.”

Jon grinned, “So, of course, the mission failed and the team was captured by the wraith. They were wraith prisoners for several days, but LtCol Sheppard was able to gain valuable intelligence on the territorial nature of the wraith and the current unrest among the different hives. In the mean time, Dr McKay was able to escape from his captors and return to Atlantis with the next planet targeted by that hive ship. The Daedalus was dispatched to rescue the team if possible and to destroy the hive ship. The Daedalus engaged two hive ships at that the target location and then watched as the hives began to fight amongst themselves, thanks to LtCol Sheppard’s intervention. The remaining members of SGA-1 were able to escape with the help of Lt Ford. Lt Ford was last seen within the first wraith hive ship just before it exploded. Both hive ships were completely destroyed in the fight and his body was not recovered.”

“According to Col Caldwell, nothing could have survived the destruction of the two hive ships. The Daedalus assumed that SGA-1 had been killed during the blast only to find them safely on Atlantis when they returned to the city. They had escaped by flying a wraith dart through the Stargate just before the hives exploded. LtCol Sheppard believed that Lt Ford was also able to escape using a wraith dart, but has no proof to back up this claim,” Jon turned to Abby. She shrugged, having nothing to add.

Gibbs watched them briefly before turning back to his timeline, “Okay, so in spite of the fact that Lt Ford went AWOL, repeatedly assaulted his fellow officers and team mates, addicted his teammates to the same drug that was clouding his judgment, AND was directly responsible for putting them in the hands of the enemy, Dr Weir has him listed as MIA. Either there is more to the story, or they are refusing to see the truth.”

“Sir,” Jon interrupted quickly. “There is precedent for this kind of thing at the SGC. On more than one occasion SGC members have come under ‘alien influence’ and been forgiven for any transgressions that happened during that time. A good example is the Broca Virus outbreak the first year of the program. The virus regressed infected individuals to a primitive mind. This resulted in several vicious assaults, two murders, and a rape. No one was held responsible for their actions while under the sway of the virus.”

“Lt Ford, through no fault of his own was addicted to the wraith enzyme. It severely affected his judgment and reasoning. By SGC standards, it is a clear case of alien influence. Standing orders in this kind of case are to contain the affected member if possible.” Jon paused, pain reflecting in his eyes, before continuing, “But Earth security must take precedence. The judgment of the commander is considered when deciding whether or not to terminate a member under alien influence, if they cannot be contained.”

“And you have more cases where lethal force was required?” Gibbs asked.

They hadn’t talked about this aspect of alien warfare before. It was one of the unhappy side-effects of working with the unknown on a constant basis. No one at the SGC liked the orders. They understood them, but they didn’t like them. Jon closed his eyes briefly before giving Gibbs a hard look, “Yes.”

“Oh God,” Abby sighed, tears forming in her eyes, as she sat down hard on the bunk in disbelief. “But…they just…can’t.”

Jon continued to hold Gibbs’s eyes steadily, “Major Charles Kowalski was KIA when an unknown goa’uld took over his body and attempted to escape through the Stargate. Using his body, the goa’uld killed one man and injured several others in this escape attempt before he was finally killed. Kowalski was buried with full honors.”

“Mrs. Sha’re Jackson, the civilian wife of Dr. Daniel Jackson, was kidnapped and made host to the goa’uld Amaunet, wife of the System Lord Apophis. Many crimes were directly attributed to her by the Tok’ra. Sha’re was killed when Amaunet was cornered and refused to surrender. She was buried on her home planet of Abydos. I could go on,” Jon said steadily, his voice devoid of emotion.

Gibbs returned Jon’s gaze with a look of compassion. Sometime military necessity sucked, but for the good of the many... “No need,” he replied, as he turned back to his timeline. “But how does that help us?”

“It doesn’t. It just explains why the military, usually an unfeeling machine, took a compassionate angle on Lt Ford’s state of mind,” Jon explained quietly.

“Oh,” Abby perked up, and started shuffling through her computer files. “I know why…Dr. Beckett did a detailed report on the chemical changes in the brain caused by the use and breakdown of the enzyme. He also made detailed observations on the mental health of Dr McKay after he returned to Atlantis while under a heavy dose of the enzyme.”

“Here it is...” she said practically bouncing in place, her momentary distress already forgotten. “Now remember, McKay escaped while still high on the drug. Dr Beckett noted that McKay had…” she read directly from the report, “…severely impaired reasoning, a sense of invulnerability, demonstrated hyperactivity, and a noticeable attention deficit. He stated that McKay was unable to finish a complete sentence before changing his train of thought. This changed to severe paranoia, depression, and suicidal tendencies during the withdrawal process. In fact, McKay wasn’t able to relay vital intelligence until he had recovered from withdrawal, even though it was obvious that he was trying to say something important. McKay, Ms. Emmagan and Mr. Dex all confirmed Dr Beckett’s findings with supplemental reports about how they felt and reacted while ‘high’ and throughout their withdrawal. Dr Beckett concluded that until Lt Ford went through the de-tox process, his reasoning would remain impaired.” She grinned triumphantly, “Thus, the alien influence exception applies.”

Gibbs nodded and turned back to his timeline and his notes. After several quiet moments, he turned back to Jon, “As soon as we arrive, I want you to start setting up interviews. We’ll need a room where we can record the interviews, but I want to be alone in the room. I want to start with Col Caldwell. I’m not happy with his report. I want to know what was driving the report. Next, we’ll hit Dr Weir and his former teammates.”

“Yes, Sir,” Jon replied taking notes. They were within communication range of the city now. He could easily ensure that everything was ready for their arrival. “Abby?”

“Yeah?” she replied, turning away from her little corner.

“Wanna go meet that alien now?” Jon said with a cheeky grin.

“Really? There’s been an alien on this ship this whole time and you didn’t tell me?” Abby jumped up and smacked his arm. “Well? Lead on McDuff!” she said as she pushed him out into the hallway.

Jon led her to the engine room and introduced her to Hermiod. He was forgotten within moments as she peppered the poor Asgard with every alien question that had ever occurred to her. Dr Novak set up a secure communication line with Atlantis and Jon relayed their needs. He finally rescued the sullen alien when Abby had started citing the Roswell facts and how they correlated with the surge in crop circles globally. Just before the doors to the engine room shut, Jon heard the Asgard sigh in relief.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

TBC