Finding Closure von Rocza

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Ford is brought to Atlantis.
Chapter 17 - Bringing Ford Home

LtCol Sheppard flew the small ship through the Stargate and set it down in the Gate Room, rather than allow the automated controls take them to the hanger. Gibbs watched as the colonel turned his shadowed eyes to the control room where Dr Weir was watching in concern.

“Colonel Sheppard?” Dr Weir asked through the PA. “Is everything alright?”

Sheppard blinked back tears and just shook his head. Gibbs placed a consoling hand on the colonel’s shoulder before standing up and turning to the back of the ship with Jon at his side. The colonel had taken the lieutenant’s loss hard. Gibbs understood that level of grief and anger. He was still dealing with the loss of Agent Caitlin Todd. He knew from experience that there was little they could do for the colonel. Time would provide some distance; to make the pain less fresh. Life would go on whether you were ready for it or not.

Gibbs took a deep breath and braced himself for his next unpleasant duty, before he hit the controls that opened the back hatch. He wasn’t surprised to see the security team standing ready, surrounding the small ship. He waited patiently and remained non-threatening until they were joined by Dr Weir. She took in the contents of the small ship and told the security detail to stand down. However, her face reflected her concern as she took in their grim expressions.

Gibbs hated that his news would change her expression. But, as the Leader of the Atlantis expedition, she deserved to be the first informed of their sad news. After a brief moment of silence, Gibbs started his prepared speech.

“Dr Weir, I regret to inform you that at approximately 1600 hours today, we found and recovered the remains of Lt Aiden Ford,” Gibbs said formally. He paused to give Dr Weir time to absorb the news. No matter how prepared she thought she was, this news would kill that little bit of hope that she had hidden in the dark corner of her heart.

“Oh,” Weir exclaimed softly. Her face fell into shock and grief as she took in the news. But she rallied quickly and replied, “Thank you, Agent Gibbs, for finding him.”

Gibbs nodded, “I would like Dr Beckett to perform the autopsy, if you will allow it.”

Dr Weir briefly cleared her throat before she replied, “Of course.” She gave the control room technician a meaningful look before returning her attention back to Gibbs and the two men standing silently at either end of the litter bearing the body bag. She nodded to Gibbs and stepped away from the ship, giving the men room to exit.

Gibbs glanced back at the two men and nodded. Jon and LtCol Sheppard took their cue from Gibbs and slowly lifted the body and started the short walk to the infirmary; their faces solemn.

The security detail in the Gate Room set the tone for the procession as the team chief called the detail to attention and then they presented arms as the body of the lieutenant was carried out of the ship and taken out of sight down the hallway.

The news spread through the expedition quickly. The hallways from the Gate Room to the Infirmary were lined with expedition members. Both old and new members stood in silent attention, some with salutes, as the body of the lieutenant was carried past them. Halfway to their destination, the rest of SGA-1 joined their commander and formed an honor guard.

The procession was met at the entrance to the infirmary with a quiet, “Welcome home, laddie,” as Dr Beckett greeted the lost lieutenant. The doctor directed them to place the body in one of the isolation rooms before ushering them out so he could work in peace. All of the expedition members dispersed except for SGA-1. They would remain in vigil for their lost teammate.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG—SG

Special Agent Gibbs waited for the last member of the command staff, Dr. Beckett to arrive, before starting his final briefing. He had spoken to the doctor before finalizing his report to the President. The only duty left to perform before they returned to Earth.

Dr Beckett entered the conference room with a quiet relaxed pace. He nodded briefly to Dr Weir and Gibbs before taking his seat. Gibbs had visited him at the tail end of the autopsy, as was his habit, to get the doctors findings. The doctor had been sad, but had relayed his findings in a calm and efficient manner. The finding had been the last piece of the puzzle that had been Lt Ford’s disappearance. With that little bit, the mystery had been solved and the lieutenant could finally rest in peace.

Gibbs had asked for the briefing as soon as the doctor was finished. He wanted to give the Atlantis Command Staff all the findings at once for closure. Almost all of them had served that first terrible year with the lieutenant. That bond, forged in the face of adversity, was strong. They had become something more than family that year. Hopefully, this briefing would ease their minds and allow them to finally grieve together.

As the doctor settled into place, Gibbs gave his own team one last look, before starting. “Good evening. As you are aware, I’ve completed my investigation into the disappearance and death of Lt Aiden Ford, USMC. As a part of this investigation, I’ve read all the reports concerning the lieutenant’s behavior both before and after his exposure to the addictive Wraith enzyme. It is my professional opinion that the lieutenant should not be held accountable for his actions while under the influence of the enzyme. His behavior falls under the umbrella term ‘under alien influence’ and will not be included in his official file.”

Gibbs gave each of the senior staff a long look before continuing. “It is also my professional opinion that everyone who had contact with the lieutenant while he was under the influence of the enzyme did everything possible to ensure a positive outcome.” Gibbs let his eyes settle on LtCol Sheppard as he continued. “In my opinion, a positive outcome was not possible, once all the variables had been considered. I have noted that the members of this expedition are not responsible for the death of the lieutenant. I have further noted that no other acceptable options were available. Dr Beckett has also informed me that the lieutenant would not have recovered from his injuries, even if he had been found right after his crash on the planet.” Sheppard’s eyes showed his doubt, but he nodded acceptance of the information from Gibbs.

“Dr. Beckett?” Gibbs prompted.

“Ah, yes. Thank you, Agent Gibbs.” Beckett turned to the rest of his Atlantis team. “I performed the autopsy, per the agent’s request. The lad had severe trauma to his entire body. His leg was crushed. He had broken several ribs and ruptured his spleen and liver. He had a skull fracture and was likely hemorrhaging before he died. I’m amazed that he was able to crawl away from the crash and build a shelter. In fact, I believe that the remaining enzyme in his system is likely the reason he survived the crash at all. Within an hour, the internal bleeding would have resulted in his death. Even baring that, I doubt he would have survived withdrawal from the enzyme in his weakened condition… even with medical attention. It is a blessing that the lad was able to build a shelter that so effectively preserved his body for us to find.”

The senior staff looked sick and pale at the news. None wanted to contemplate the lieutenant’s last minutes as he died alone and in extreme pain. They still wanted to blame themselves, even if there was nothing they could have done differently. Gibbs understood that emotion as well. He carried it in his own heart, for his own losses, as irrational as it was.

“But we could have found him sooner,” Sheppard’s voice broke the silence, his guilt slicing through the quiet.

Gibbs gave the colonel a considering look and knew that nothing he could say would help. But he couldn’t just leave the colonel without trying to help him see the truth; that ‘what might have been’ was a game you could only lose. “Possibly. But when have you had the time to search? What information did you have to go on? It was this investigation and my insistence on viewing the site that led to new information. Without that external pressure, would you have reached the same conclusions?”

Sheppard sighed and slumped down further in his seat. “No,” he replied in a defeated tone. Then his eyes flicked to Jon, “In fact, I doubt we would have found him at all if it wasn’t for your Agent O’Brien.” Sheppard leaned in with a predatory grin. “Where exactly did you learn to read Ancient?”

The shocked surprise on the faces of the rest of the Atlantis team gave Gibbs a wry grin himself. He took satisfaction in their shock. Gibbs knew all too well what it felt like to have the kids surprise him by pulling a rabbit out of his hat. And that was when Gibbs new better than to underestimate him.

For his part, Jon just grinned back at Sheppard, and quipped, “Here and there.” A glance back at the kid found him completely relaxed in his seat, hands comfortable clasped on his stomach. Gibbs knew that relaxed attitude. The kid used it to lull the gullible into a false sense of security.

“He reads Ancient?” McKay declared unnecessarily to the room.

“Yup. Better than me, in fact,” Sheppard replied cheekily, as the attention of the group shifted to the young agent. Gibbs’ smiled widened as the colonel’s diversion effectively shifted the mood of the group from somber to curious.

“What?” McKay seemed unable to process the information.

Jon grinned wider, “Oratio nusquam. Effor parvus minor.” (It’s nothing. I only speak a little).

“He speaks it as well?”McKay’s mouth gaped as his brain seemed to freeze.

Dr Weir chuckled at his reaction. “Well, Agent Gibbs, you are certainly full of surprises. I assume that you plan to return with Lt Ford.”

Gibbs nodded, “We do.”

“Good. I’ll make the arrangements.” She turned to Sheppard, “Colonel, if you and your team would stay back for a moment.”

Colonel Sheppard nodded and the rest of the command staff exited the conference room, leaving SGA-1 with Dr Weir. Gibbs took his team back to their office to pack up.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG—SG

Dr Weir was in the control room waiting. Below her, the NCIS team, SGA-1, and a select group of Marines were assembled, waiting to return with Lt Ford’s body to Earth. She ordered the gate dialed, ordered the code send, and read the confirmation herself.

The rest of the expedition’s military members snapped to attention as the coffin was lifted by the pall bearers. They saluted smartly as the coffin moved through the event horizon, followed by the rest of the group returning to Earth.

She gave Special Agent Gibbs a small, sad smile as he paused before the event horizon and saluted her. She gave him a firm nod of acknowledgement and he stepped away and disappeared into the wormhole.

As the wormhole snapped shut, she couldn’t help but muse that it sounded so final, like the end of book snapping shut. She released a final sigh and returned to her duties. The dead were mourned, but the galaxy wouldn’t pause while you grieved. She had to continue forward and hope that Aiden would understand… She smiled one last time at the empty Stargate. Of all people, Aiden would understand the call of service before self. Feeling lighter, she nodded to the technician on duty and returned to her office.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG—SG

TBC

4
Kapitel Abschlussbemerkung: Next up: Case Closed - last chapter. Gibbs give his report and the Ford Family finds their own closure.