Alisa von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung: Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter will be longer but may take some time as I’m not feeling well and as usual I’m writing about a dozen different things.
To: stargirl
From: Alisa
Subject: Hi
Hi,

A nice simple way to start an email don’t you think, considering I’ve already erased, Dear Aunt Jeanne and Dear Jeannie after I realised how pathetic and childish they sounded...so hi.


-

Alisa stopped typing as the door to the room opened to reveal her father, he still looked pale after the last mission but once Carson had cleared him for light duty he was back working to try and find a new ZPM or the way to repower the drained ones they had.

“Are you okay?” she asked worriedly.

“Yeah, yeah,” he waved away her concern, “Have you seen my notebook?”

Alisa laughed, while in the infirmary Carson had banned Rodney doing any work so Rodney had nabbed a notebook from Alisa to write theories which had almost instantly been forgotten as he was able to return to work. Until now.

“I think you left it in your room,” she told him, Alisa waited until Rodney left the room before turning back to the computer.

“What are you doing?” Rodney appeared clutching the book to his chest.

Alisa looked a little sheepish and shrugged, “Just emailing Jeannie. I promised I would and since I’m not working today I thought I’d do it now.”

Rodney smiled, relieved that they’d become friends before he remembered he had to get back to the lab and with a murmured goodbye he left her alone again.

-

Hope your journey home was uneventful and you didn’t find your husband completely demented having to care for a four year old by himself for a few months. Things here have been as insane as always, Dad is trying to get everything he can out of the database for a ZPM but considering we’ve still barely scratched the surface I don’t see him doing it before next week.

-

“Good, you’re here.”

Alisa looked up surprised at Laura’s voice, “What’s wrong?”

Laura dropped heavily onto the couch and looked up at her friend sadly, “Carson and I broke up.”

“For real this time?” Alisa asked sceptically.

“Yes, for real,” Laura snapped before dropping her head back, “I should have known this wouldn’t last, he was just too nice a guy.”

Alisa watched her friend, waiting to find out why she’d decided to come here. After a few seconds Laura looked up at her.

“I need chocolate,” the marine announced.

“And?”

“And it is a well known fact that you manage to scam almost all the newbies,” Laura replied, “As well as your father is a notorious hoarder.”

Alisa laughed unable to refute her friend’s words, “Try the cupboard next to Dad’s back-up laptop.”

Eagerly Laura bounced over and started looking through the candy cupboard as they called it. Every so often she would pull out something, look at it before deciding against it and tossing it back in. Finally she settled on a Hershey bar but also brought out a bag of M&M’s for Alisa who happily took the proffered candy.

“So what happened?” Alisa asked, popping a sweet in her mouth.

Laura sighed, “We hardly see each other and then we just seemed to lose any sort of spark we had. Carson was his usual sweet self and apologised but basically we broke up. But it’s probably for the best.”

“You were pretty miserable for the past few weeks,” Alisa noted, “And you guys are still friends, right?”

“I guess,” Laura brightened, “As a boyfriend it didn’t work but he is still a great guy and I don’t want to lose that. Thanks, Lissa I’ll see you later.”

With a wave Laura disappeared and Alisa turned to her email once more. She was still staring at it after five minutes so decided to go wander for a bit.

*********************************************

“Lissa?” Rodney turned as she entered his lab, “What are you doing here? I thought you were taking today to relax.”

“I was and I am,” she replied with a smile, “I just decided to go for a wander for a while. I don’t just walk around the city very often so I thought I would savour it.”

“Oh, good idea,” Rodney told her, “You should probably go then and not get caught in the lab.”

Alisa frowned confused; her confusion didn’t last for long as Laura walked in.

“Something wrong, Rodney?” she demanded, “Since you summoned me.”

Rodney hesitated, glancing over at where Alisa stood before he turned on Laura, “That section you were working on while I was off getting shot is not working. I want to know what you did.”

“What I did?” Laura snapped, her arms folding across her chest, “I fixed it as per your annoyingly explicit instructions.”

Alisa rolled her eyes and quickly left them to fight it out.

-

“Well?” Laura said annoyed as Rodney stared over her head, “Where’s your next witty remark?”

“What?” Rodney stared at her confused before he realised, “No, I just started arguing with you so Alisa would leave.”

“Huh?” was all Laura could manage.

Rodney sat down and motioned her to take the one across from him, “This isn’t easy for me to ask but...I need your help.”

“My help?” Laura asked, still completely bemused by the sudden change in topic.

He nodded, “Alisa is eighteen in a few months and I need to get her a great present but I have no idea what that it. This is where you come in.”

Laura smiled at him, “Well I can only think of one thing she wants.”

“Great,” Rodney grinned, “When we open the Gate-bridge I can send the request to Jeannie so she can order it for me and hopefully the Daedalus will be able to get it here in time and why are you laughing?”

“What she wants you can’t order in a shop,” Laura grinned, “She wants the gene therapy.”

“No,” Rodney said instantly, “Think of something else.”

Laura momentarily entertained the notion of telling Rodney to do it himself but one look at his pathetic grimace she gave in.

“Look,” Laura started, “Alisa is going to be eighteen and she’ll be allowed to choose to have it anyway. Now, if you get her it for her birthday then you are the best father in the world plus Sheppard will happily teach her to fly which will give her another skill that could save her life.”

Rodney sighed, “You’re right.”

“Of course I am,” Laura grinned, “Think about it, you’ve got time.”

*********************************************

Dad is over-working himself at the moment since the ZPM was drained. Considering he just got of the infirmary it’s not a good thing. I should tell you the story before you get worried, the reason Dad was in the infirmary was because John shot him.

Okay, that will probably make you worry more but there was a reason. They were on this planet where some machine was sending people crazy; John, from what I’m told, had flashbacks and thought he was trying to save Teyla – who in his mind was someone else from the bad guys. Thankfully Teyla was able to move the gun and Dad was wounded instead of killed before she stopped the crazy-making machine.

You know this is a normal day around here, which says a lot about the last few years of my life.

-

Remember to send me pictures of Maddie in her ballet show. (I refuse to call the child Madison – what did she do to you? Kick you so hard she broke something before she was born?) I never did anything like that as a kid so I’ll be interested to see them. I was also kinda clumsy when I was that age, I had to stay on two feet and walk everywhere never run. (One of my Gran’s big rules)I couldn’t even skip without tripping up after a few steps.

I have to go now, John’s going to the mainland and I’ve managed to persuade him to let me tag along for the ride.

Email me back via the address at the top and it will wait until the next contact we have then come to me.

Bye for now

Alisa

(By the way, love your email address – Stargirl?)


-

Alisa finished her email and hit the send button before she turned off the computer. Grabbing her jacket, Alisa headed out the room towards the Jumper bay where John was waiting for her. She thought about her aunt back on earth living a relatively normal life, less normal now that she knew about the Stargate, and wondered if she would want that.

Reaching the Jumper where John was doing his pre-flight checks. Alisa grinned, she preferred it here.