Lost von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Notes: Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Part Four, which is the final part, is on its way soon. Hope you enjoy

*********************************************

"How did Rodney do this?" Zelenka cried in exasperation.

"I have no idea but I'm hoping using his original system for dealing with certain requests will work." Grodin muttered dropping his head onto the desk, "Why did they give us this?"

"Because Kavanagh would bring back Rodney's ghost," Zelenka stated with a sad laugh.

Grodin nodded, "Dr Weir and Major Sheppard felt the same. Speaking of Kavanagh, have you read his latest request?"

"I am ignoring it," Zelenka replied as he stared at the mounds of work to do, "How did he do this? There is more work than we can get through together, how did Rodney do all this, studying finds and go on missions?"

"Not a clue," Grodin admitted as they went back to work.

Zelenka followed his lead sighing, "It is not the same here without him."

-

John leaned against the wall trying to catch his breath as Teyla stood waiting for him.

"Are you ready?" she asked swinging the stick.

He glared at her, "Admit it. You enjoy torturing me."

Teyla smiled amused, "You were the one who wished to learn as well as practice today."

He muttered under his breath as he took a defensive stance against her, "Let's go."

Teyla attacked and John did his best to defend himself, he turned when he heard someone call his name and Teyla smacked him on the head.

"Ow," he whined, "That hurt."

"I am sorry Major," Teyla said trying not to laugh at his pout while gently probing the lump on his head.

"As am I," Zelenka said from the doorway, "But I have something you should see."

John glared at him, "Unless this is life or death I'm going to the infirmary."

"It could be," Zelenka told him, "I was going through the research Rodney had on the spontaneous wormholes, there was something he missed. Well not exactly missed but at the time we didn't need the information."

"You're not making much sense but go on," John said rubbing his sore head.

Zelenka grinned, "According to the research the wormholes when they are created open up to one of only a few Stargates. I have all the co-ordinates. We can find Jumper Two, and if they did not survive we can give them a proper funeral."

John stared at him, "Are you sure they would have been outgoing wormholes?"

Zelenka nodded, "The Stargates could not open to nothing, so the spontaneous ones had to be created as outgoing."

"They could still be alive," John breathed hope settling in, he jumped up and grabbed Zelenka's arm, "Come on, we're going looking for our lost lambs."

*********************************************

Lucia sat on the bed in her cell worrying about her children. She was angry at Malis for doing this but not really surprised by this turn of events. The door opened and she stood to meet whoever it was refusing to cower, to her relief Rodney hobbled in.

"Get lost," he snapped at the guard who simply closed the door leaving them alone.

Lucia moved and hugged him tightly, "I am so glad it's you," she breathed as he held onto her.

"What is going on?" Rodney demanded, "Why are they doing this?"

"Because it has been almost three months since the last witch trial," Lucia told him moving him to the bed so he could rest his leg, "You have no need to worry Rodney; every woman who lives alone and takes care of herself in this town is accused of being a witch at some point in time. It has taken them quite a bit of time to turn to me."

"Dina is really upset by this," he told her, "She's not left your room all day. And I don't know how to help her."

Lucia gently stroked his cheek, "You're there Rodney. That is all she needs from you and that is all I need for you to do. I need to know my girls are protected."

Rodney sighed resting his forehead against hers clasping her hand tightly as it sat against his cheek.

"If something does happen to me," Lucia finally said.

"Don't," Rodney whispered.

"But if it does," she pushed, "My husband's brother lives in a nearby town. Dina knows where, I want you to take them there."

"I thought you said there wasn't any need to worry," Rodney said sadly.

"There isn't," Lucia replied squeezing his hand her eyes as always conveying more than her words, "I just want to be prepared."

He opened his mouth to say something of comfort but found no words; instead he moved closer to her and initiated a tender kiss. They parted after a few seconds and Rodney rested his forehead against hers once more in silence.

A sharp knock on the door made them both turn, "Times up," the call came from outside.

"Show no fear," Lucia whispered to him, "Show no sadness. Just walk...hobble out with your head held high."

Rodney nodded determination in his eyes; he leaned into her once more placing a very gentle kiss on her lips before leaving.

-

Dina looked up at him hopefully as he entered the house. Rodney dropped his eyes as he took a seat.

"She seems okay," he told the teenager, "She said something about this happening all the time."

Dina nodded, "I just never thought they'd do this to her. She looks after everyone, she's never done..." as she started to cry Rodney nervously reached out and snagged her arm pulling her to him rocking her.

"Dina," he whispered after a while, "I need you do something for me. Once this is over, she wants to leave here and go see your uncle. I need you to pack up everything you'll need, in case we need to leave in a hurry."

Dina looked scared but she nodded, "What about the Halda bushes? They are what we live off of Rodney; we'll need them if we're moving."

Rodney frowned, "Alright, gather as many of the berries as you can tomorrow. I'll go get a cutting or something just now."

"Rodney," Dina called as he started to move.

"Yes?"

"I'm scared," she whispered.

Rodney gently brushed back a stray lock of hair out of her face, "So am I but we have to be brave for your mother."

She gave him a soft smile disappearing into one of the rooms leaving him standing hoping he'd said the right thing because he had no idea what to do.

-

Rodney McKay was no botanist but he had dated one once and to his complete surprise actually remembered some of the gardening tips she'd given him. He looked at the bush containing this fruit that he actually found pretty disgusting and couldn't work out why everyone found them so damn wonderful. He was relieved when he discovered a small bush hidden just under the large one meaning it wouldn't take them long to grow the bush wherever they settled.

Leaving them would be the hardest thing Rodney knew this but he had to return to Atlantis, he owed them a great deal. Then again he still had to find the Stargate first so he wasn't expecting he'd be leaving them any time soon. Once he had the bush he headed back inside to where Dina was packing. He set the small bush down carefully before he fixed Belin's milk as he always did at this time before taking her in his lap and feeding the child.

-

He slept that night fitfully, after several hours of tossing and turning he got up and made himself some normal tea before sitting by the cold fireplace thinking. His mind drifted back to the kiss he'd shared with Lucia not knowing how that happened. Of course he cared for her, the woman saved his life but there was something in her manner and the way she treated him that meant he wasn't his usual sarcastic, annoying self around her. Instead he found himself talking to her like he was a normal person, because all she expected from him was Rodney. Not McKay astrophysicist or McKay Head Scientist for the Atlantis expedition or McKay the geek of the team, she simply expected him to be Rodney and that was something he hadn't experienced in a long time.

As he finished his tea he allowed himself the small fantasy that everything would turn out alright he'd find the Stargate and Lucia would come with him back to Atlantis where they would be a family with the girls. But Rodney knew better than to believe in fantasies like that.

Waiting for tomorrow to come was making his gut twist into knots because he had a very bad feeling about it.

*********************************************

Lucia stood in the centre of the room her head held high as she kept a cool gaze on the Council of Elders. Rodney hobbled in with Belin held against him in her sling and took a seat at the front right where Lucia could see them. When she did she smiled relief covering her face to have some support there.

"We are here today," Malis started walking up to the podium next to where Lucia stood, "To discover if our neighbour Lucia is a witch. I did not want to believe this when it was passed to me but the evidence against her which you shall hear is great."

Rodney snorted wishing he could do something to stop this idiocy, to protect Lucia and the girls but he was helpless.

"Present the evidence," one of the Elders wheezed, "So we can get on with this."

Malis nodded respectfully, "Of course. This man here," he turned to Rodney, "Is proof of her witchcraft. He was injured and she removed him from where he was going against the Gods."

The Elder turned to Lucia, "How so you answer this charge?"

"It is preposterous," Lucia told him, "The Gods do not forbid us to give comfort to those who may die and that was what I did. I gave Rodney a place to die with dignity and the Gods chose to allow him to live."

"Then you accept that you defied the Gods," Malis cried.

"When?" Rodney yelled annoyed only to be hushed by several people.

Lucia shook her head softly at him before turning to the Elders, "I did nothing wrong. I gave shelter to someone who needed it and the Gods awarded me with a friend who I cherish."

Malis frowned as the Council all seemed to nod in agreement with her, "Then tell us why you and you alone in this town have a Halda berry bush?"

"My husband and I were given it before we arrived here. We planted it and nourished it so it grew," Lucia replied calmly.

"How does it grow nowhere else from the seeds?" Malis demanded, "Why can no one grow another one in this entire town?"

Lucia laughed, "I cannot be held responsible for other people's failure to garden."

"You can be if you cursed them," he cried, "If you made it so that you would be the only one with this precious fruit."

"Cryin' out loud," Rodney muttered as the room exploded into shouts and calls, this was bad.

-

Rodney watched as Lucia was moved back to her cell, he listened as they were all dismissed for the Council deliberations. He headed towards her cell only to have his way blocked by two guards.

"You cannot see the prisoner while her fate is being decided," Malis appeared from behind him.

"She's allowed to see her daughter though. I checked into the town's charter," Rodney snapped back his dislike of the idiot coming through, "So get out of my way."

Malis made no move for several moments his eyes locked with Rodney's hate burning in them before he stepped to one side and Rodney pushed past him into the small room.

Lucia stood when he entered smiling to see Belin as she slept against his chest; Rodney slipped the baby out of the sling and handed the child to her mother who took the baby with a sigh of relief.

"Is Dina at home?" Lucia asked carefully.

"Tidying for when you get back," he replied just as carefully.

Lucia nodded before placing her sleeping child onto the bed taking a seat, Rodney sat beside her and suddenly found her holding onto him shaking. He'd never seen her lose control like this and it worried him more than he would ever be able to say. Lucia had from the moment he'd met her been a rock who seemed to never actually fear anything.

"I'm scared," she confessed to him as his arms locked tightly around her, "This isn't the way these things usually go. Malis is determined to have me branded a witch."

"Why?" Rodney demanded, "What the hell have you ever done to him?"

Lucia let out a noise of disgust, "I refused to marry him."

"Oh," he replied a little shaken by this, "When was that?"

"Less than three weeks ago," Lucia replied, "He didn't seem too pleased by my refusal and he..."

"Blames me," Rodney realised, "Then why not go after me? Why...why go after you?"

"Because you were saved by the Gods," Lucia reminded him, "And he knows he'd never find a way to get to you unless he proves I interfered with the Gods."

"I'm not letting this happen," he told her, "I'll be back as soon as I can, I'm not letting this happen."

"Rodney?" Lucia asked worried by the anger in his eyes.

Rodney picked up Belin replacing her in her sling, "There should be enough time for me to get back to the cottage then here before anything happens."

"What are you going to do?" Lucia asked holding his arm.

Rodney caught her chin and tilted her face up so he could kiss her once more, "Major Sheppard taught me pretty well," he told her grimly before marching out as best he could on his crutches.

-

"Dina!!!" Rodney yelled as he entered the cottage.

"What happened?" the teenager asked scared.

"I don't care," he replied, "I'm not letting this idiocy go on any longer. Where did your mother put my things?"

Dina looked confused but retrieved the vest watching fascinated as Rodney drew the gun and checked the clip before checking the other two in his pocket.

"What is that?" she asked jumping as he fired at the wall.

"A very powerful weapon," Rodney replied grimly, "They want 'witchcraft'; I'm going to show them some."

He got Dina to drive the cart close enough to the town so he could get there quickly but far enough away so no one would notice it. As he re-entered the town square, Belin still carried in the sling he was horrified to find Lucia strapped to a pole as they built a bonfire around her.

"What the hell?" he snapped, but before he could move any closer someone grabbed one of his crutches hitting the back of his injured leg, Rodney started to fall to his knees with a cry as two guards pulled him back to sit and Malis appeared a dagger drawn.

"If you interfere I will kill the Witch's child," he spat at Rodney before he turned to the crowd, "Burn the witch."

"No," Rodney yelled, he was held to the seat as the bonfire was lit.

As the fire moved around her she bit the inside of her cheek not wanting to cry out Lucia kept her head high, her eyes fixed on Rodney not letting them have the pleasure of hearing her scream.

"Mother!!!!"

Dina came running and was grabbed by one of the guards who held her back kicking and screaming pulling her to where Rodney was being held. Rodney caught the girl pulling her close to him as she cried trying to protect her when Lucia could take no more and screamed in agony.

-

It was over.

Rodney continued to hold an inconsolable Dina as the crowd dispersed, he looked over to where Malis grinned at him.

"Dina," Rodney whispered, "We have to go."

She sniffed nodding as her tears continued to fall.

Rodney wiped her cheeks, "Don't show fear, don't show sadness, walk away with your head held high."

Dina looked at him incredulously.

"For your mother," Rodney told her, "Do this for her."

Dina took a deep shuddering breath before she pulled away from him; she took the discarded crutches from the ground and handed them to him. Rodney pulled himself to his feet his eyes settled on the remains of the body in the centre of the bonfire before he glared at Malis.

"You cannot leave," Malis snapped, "You were tainted by the Witch."

Rodney turned on him anger burning in his eyes and he drew his gun firing a shot just to the left of Malis' ear, "Come near us again and next time I will not miss."