Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Preservation of the Species

by Rocza
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2: Survival

General Jack O'Neill sat down wearily on the tree stump. He had spent the last month running from task to task. He had lived through enough field operations, large and small, to know what they had to put into place to survive. In the first few days, they had sketched out a rough camp near a stream and established a routine. But, they needed to find a more long-term location. Jack had spent several hours in the shade of one of the funky blue trees, outlining to the SG teams exactly what would make the perfect long-term habitation.

The next day, SG-3 had located a cave system several miles away in the hills. Jack spent two days inspecting it before finally declaring it safe. The cave system was perfect for a permanent home. Now, the whole group of stolen Tau'ri were safely relocated to the extensive cave system. The minds of his brilliant scientists were even now bent to the task of re-inventing, well... everything, starting with simple tools. Years of mineral surveys had trained his teams well in identifying various types of raw ore. Dr. Lee was promising saws and hammers by the end of the week.

His SG teams were now dedicated to long range patrols, mapping out the surrounding area, and most importantly, looking for the Stargate. No human or alien threats had been identified, but they had found evidence of several natural threats. Jack also had them looking for anything the Tau'ri could use to help them find their way home. He had decided to continue the patrols until everything in a 100 mile radius was examined and documented.

The remaining Tau'ri dedicated themselves to creating a sustainable home. Gardens were already planted. Trees were being thinned for furniture and firewood. Finally, they had established a secure place to live. They had even somewhat adjusted to the new 20-something look.

The cave system that the scouting SG team had found was huge. It had several larger caverns with a series of smaller caves, perfect for communal and private areas. The larger areas had been converted into medical, cooking, and a shared working area for the larger projects. The cooking cave even had an artesian spring to provide fresh water. Cassie and her friends were already chipping out a basin around the well to collect the water.

The smaller caves were used as private residences. By consensus, the families got dibs on the larger caves and everyone else shared the smaller caves. Bunking decisions were left up to the individuals involved. The SG teams preferred to bunk together and the remaining single individuals took after them by arraigning themselves by specialty. Now that everyone had staked out a space, CMSgt Walter Harriman was busy mapping the cave system and labeling each common and private area.

So, for the first time in a month, Jack could stop running. Unfortunately, stopping gave his mind a chance to think. Contrary to popular belief, Jack's mind was every bit as sharp as his former team mates'. He made his well thought out plans appear as spur of the moment decisions so his enemies would underestimate him. In truth, he was always planning and running various scenarios in his head. So, with basic survival assured, Jack was now contemplating the group's biggest road block; how to get home.

Just what the hell happened? Not a single person could recall how they had been abducted. All of them had been going about their business on Monday morning. Then, nothing. They just woke up in the field. The field had no tracks of any kind. The only supplies they had were on them when they were taken. Daniel thinks that some kind of beaming technology was used. But, Daniel can't figure out how no one has a memory of being beamed out. Jack always knew when the Asgard had beamed him up. Just a moment of bright light then a different scene.

Who the hell did this? Why did `they' take `us'? And why did `they' put us `here'? While this place was nice, it was far from a logical place to put prisoners, if that is what they were. First, there were no walls. Second, they left the weapons. Not that they weren't grateful to have a means of defense, but it didn't make sense. Third, there were no guards. No one to interrogate the prisoners. The thieves obviously were targeting the SGC. But, for what purpose?

The longer Jack contemplated `who' and `why us', the further he was from an answer. He finally decided that whomever `they' were, they could not have picked a better group of people for him to be stranded with. His people had all the knowledge and skills they needed to survive. The SGC personnel were used to taking really weird situations in stride, often with a grin. And what the SGC lacked in skills, the non-SGC civilians made up for. Farmers, teachers, mechanics, and a pool of unskilled labor. What they lacked were the proper tools. But Jack was certain that would be corrected in time. After all, he did have the smartest and most dedicated people here with him. And with all the adults regressed back to 20 year old bodies, well, time was on their side.

But that still left the question of why? What is the purpose of abducting all of them? What were they supposed to accomplish? Well, regardless of alien objectives, they would survive, thrive and find a way home. These Tau'ri objectives would take precedence over any alien schemes.

"Now, how do we get home?" he asked the forest.

He listened intently to the surrounding woods. They helped him think and gain perspective. The woods were almost like the Minnesota timber around his cabin. Full of life and activity, even at night. He expected to hear the hunting cry of owls on the night air. He especially liked this spot. Without the annoyingly blue trees, it was almost like home.

"You got nothing, huh?" he said at last. "Me either," he dejectedly stated.

Shaking off his depression, he finally stood up. "We really should do this more often," he announced to the forest before turning to began the short trek back to `home.'

Home? "Domas," he whispered quietly. Or would that be Careo Domas? No, Careo Patria. Yes, `without the homeland' is much more fitting. "Welcome to Careo Patria, our home away from home. Mind the ceiling and wipe your feet on the grass." He chuckled softly. But the sad thought of having to name the place sat heavy in his gut, slowing his steps once more.

As Jack walked back to the caves, he passed the posted sentries. Each one looked exhausted. Not physically, but mentally. The extreme stress of trying to survive in an alien world without the proper tools, combined with the extreme fatigue everyone was experiencing from working long hours with little proper sleep was putting everyone on edge. Several times in the past few days, Jack had to break up a fight or argument. In each case, the combatants couldn't remember what had started the fight.

What do you expect? Everyone is working themselves to death to survive. No break in a month and this planet has 26 hours in a day instead of 24. When these guys are not guarding the cave, they are working to make life more... livable.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," he whispered aloud.

"Did you say something, Sir?" the last sentry asked as he passed.

"Nope. Just... thinking out loud." Jack replied. He lengthened his stride as he walked past the last set of sentries at the cave entrance. This place needs a better name. He let his mind wander that path again as he made his way past the communal caves to the quiet corner cave he shared with SG-1.

All around him people were busy with the task of building civilization. He had already made the rounds earlier and checked in on everyone. Most of the group were engaged in small quiet tasks now, carving utensils or dishes and weaving mats and baskets, around small campfires. Jack intended to join them when he reached his small corner.

"Hey, Jack," Daniel greeted from the cave, sitting next to one of the funny blue trees. He could just make out Sam, Daniel, and Cam around the fire.

"Hi, guys." He picked up his latest carving before joining them at the fire. "So, Carter, have you invented cake yet?"

Sam smiled at his nightly question, "Not yet. But Daniel `thinks' he remembers how to make an Abydonian oven. So, progress is being made." She watched as he whittled at the wood. "What are you making this time?"

He grinned. It had taken two long weeks, but she had finally dropped the `sir'. "A doll," Jack replied. He grinned wider as Sam prompted him, "Little Jenny Lauson has been asking for one. She was insanely jealous of her brother's airplane. So, she said that I owed her a doll because, as oldest, she should have gotten her toy first. Of course, I said she was absolutely correct and asked if she could ever forgive me. She looked right at me and said `Sure, when I get my doll.'" His grin changed to a smirk. "Carter, I don't suppose that you know how to weave a grass dress, do you? Cuz, Milli here, will look awful silly hanging out buck naked. And Jenny stipulated `a dress or nothing.' Personally, I'm inclined toward `nothing,' but I think Jenny would take it the wrong way."

Sam gave Jack a considering look before responding with her own smirk, "Well, my mat weaving skills are excellent, but... if you give me some time, I'm sure I'll think of something. Lord knows, we can't have Milli running around naked... It might set a precedent."

"Ah. Naked it is then."

"You two are just sooo... juvenile." Daniel smiled at the exchange.

Sam and Jack grinned at each other over the campfire, "Are not." They replied in unison.

"Are too."

"Are not."

"Are."

"Not."

"Are. Case. In. Point." Laughing, they all settled back and focused on their tasks.

"So, General, you still heading out tomorrow?" Cam asked. Hard as he tried, Jack still couldn't get him to call him Jack.

"Yes. SG-5 and I plan on heading back towards the drop zone and snooping around a bit then heading up towards the hills on the opposite side." Jack smiled, "You want me to pick anything up while I'm out?" Jack asked, instigating the `Wish Game.'

Daniel groaned "Please, not this again."

Jack's smirk grew, "You're just sore because I didn't bring back that double latte the last time."

"Double, tall, vanilla latte with whipped cream and cinnamon and..." Daniel paused for effect, "... a large piece of double fudge cake."

"So is that a `no,' Daniel? Besides, you know the cake would never have made past the first mile."

"Actually... if I have to play this insanely depressing game ... I want the entire contents of a Barnes and Noble AND my SGC library AND ... all the paper in the supply closet on level 22." Daniel considered his response, then added, "Oh, and all the coffee beans in Colorado Springs."

"Wow." Sam said. "I didn't know we could ask for a whole store. That changes my answer completely." She watched Daniel closely, "Why Barnes and Noble and not some University library?"

Daniel replied, "I don't JUST read ANCIENT books. I like a bit of adventure and mystery every now and then. My library at the SGC is better than any University library anyway. Besides, Barnes and Noble has a coffee shop right in the store. So... I kill two birds with one stone."

"But, you also asked for all the coffee beans in Colorado Springs." Cam tossed out.

"Well, yeah. Barnes and Noble would only have a limited supply. I wouldn't want to run out anytime soon." Daniel gave Cam his best `duh' look.

Jack laughed, "Mitchell, it still wouldn't be enough. What I want to know is why the supply closet on level 22? It couldn't possibly hold enough paper for you."

"Are you telling me that you didn't know about Walter's secret stash?" When Jack shook his head, Daniel glanced at Sam and Cam. "Wow, none of you know that Walter has been stock piling extra paper in a warehouse on level 22? The place is huge. Almost as big as the gate room, but without the retractable ceiling. The door was labeled `Supply Closet.' I wandered in one day when I made a wrong turn. Walter told me that the military ran on paper, so he was ensuring that the SGC would never run out."

Jack put on his best snooty voice "Excellent answer, Dr. Jackson." All three gave Daniel opera applause. Daniel bowed his head.

"Thank you, thank you."

"Judges your scores please," Jack continued. "Danny boy, you must be shooting for the maximum entertainment score. I'll give you Barnes & Noble, your library, and the paper. But, I must withhold the coffee beans. You put us all through hell when you went through withdrawal that first week. I am sooo NOT doing that again. Entertainment score of 7. Practicality score of 9. Strategic value score of 6. Feasibility score of 3. For a total of 25."

Sam smiled at Jack's response. "I agree about the coffee, but would include all the office supplies and not just the paper. You need something to write with, not just on. E-9, P-8, S-10, F-2 for a total of 29."

"You maxed the Strategic Value score. How?" Jack asked.

Sam grinned, "Books on how to forge metals, build shelters, maximize food storage. Barnes & Noble has a whole do it yourself section."

"I'll buy." Cam stated. "But, I'm not a big reader and I really miss my coffee. Maybe not as much as Jackson, but enough to include all the coffee beans. He might share if he gets enough. But Sam is right about the other office supplies. Just think about how long a paperclip chain we could build." Cam spread his hands wide, "Anyway, E-3, P-7, S-6, F-3 for a total of 19."

"Ouch. So Daniel scores... 73. You're next, Cam," Sam prompted.

Cam took a moment to think on his answer, "Well... Dr. Jackson there is a hard act to follow, but... in addition to what he wants... I want the entire contents of a Wal-Mart Superstore and either a Lowe's or Home Depot. Both if you can."

"Wal-Mart?" Sam asked. "I can see the hardware stores, but of all the other places, you picked WAL-MART??"

"Of course, I'm not greedy and Wally World has just about everything. Clothes, food, duct tape, boots, and, most importantly, personal hygiene products. I can do without the shower but soap and shampoo are desperately needed here at Camp Suks-A-Lot." Cam paused, "I hate to tell you this, but you guys stink."

"What about entertainment?" Daniel asked.

"In addition to a small book selection, Wal-Mart has a huge selection of movies and music, and ... very important... video games. If Sam can't get the electricity going, Wal-Mart to the rescue with the toy and game isles. We could be playing Pictionary by firelight."

Jack pulled out his snooty voice again, "Bravo, Colonel Mitchell." Again, the remaining three gave opera applause while Cam stood and took a full bow. As he sat back down, Jack and Daniel looked expectantly at Sam.

"Alright. Not such a bad selection. I could do with more in depth reading material than Oprah's biography, but I'll take what I can get. E-5, P-10 just for getting me shampoo, SV-5, F-7 for a total of 27," Sam finished with a flourish.

Jack grinned, "I may not be a Wal-Mart fan, but I really like the idea of clean socks and a change of clothes. E-8, P-10 for clothes and soap, SV-10 for all the stuff Carter can pull apart and use to build better stuff, and F-7. Which is a total of 35."

Daniel frowned before starting, "The only entertainment value is in watching Jack giggle over the clothes so 2. But Practicality is definitely a 10, soap, shampoo, clothes. It's making me tear up. SV is 7. Feasibility is 6. What's that up to... 25?"

"Mitchell pulls into the lead with a score of ... 87." Sam looked up to see all the guys watching her. "What? Oh, I'm next. Umm...Having duly considered my options, I have decided that in addition to the desires of Dr. Jackson and Colonel Mitchell... I would like the entire contents of ... " paused and stared at each one for effect." ...a Yamaha dealership, a full gasoline depot with tanks and pumps, the Dell outlet store, and a mall." She finished with a challenging look to all of them.

"I thought you liked Harley-Davidson over Yamaha when it came to bikes." Cam stated.

"Yes, for "street" bikes. But we don't have a road. So, for dirt bikes I would go for Yamaha. They hold up better in rough terrain. And... we would get the four wheelers in addition to the dirt bikes," Sam quickly sagely.

"Oh, but a gas station wouldn't have enough gas for long," Daniel added.

"Not a gas station. A gasoline DEPOT. The depot is the place that receives the gasoline from the pipeline and stores it for all the gas stations in a regional area. So, millions of gallons of gasoline. I added the tanks and pumps because without a way to hold and dispense it, the gas would be pretty useless."

"Uh... I see just a small problem in this happy little universe." Jack added with a smile. "You pick a whole computer store, but no way to run the computers. No juice. No Carter happily tapping away at the keyboard."

Sam's smile grew as she innocently replied, "But, Sir," she whined. "Cam already got the generators and solar panels from the hardware store. They just needed a little gasoline to get them going." She tossed in a coy look and a slow wink.

Jack laughed and conceded defeat. Sam turned expectantly to the remaining two.

"Ok." Cam finally asked, "A mall?"

Sam's smile changed into a full blown smirk. "Of course. You boys may survive on cheap clothes and generic soap. But, us WOMEN need real product and decent clothes. Almost every mall has Bed, Bath, and Beyond and several good clothing stores: Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic. And unlike Cam, I am greedy."

All three men contemplated the image of Sam with a P-90 at the mall fighting over `product.'

"Nice," Jack finally whispered before continuing, "Just for that, I recommend the biggest mall I know of; the Mall of America. We can't have you run out of `product.'" Jack smiled as he put a few finishing touches on the doll. "E-10 just to see you flying through the forest on a dirt bike. P-4. SV is 10 we could really use some transportation and the gas has hundreds of uses. F-6 for a total of ... 30."

Cam laughed, "E-10, P-7, S-9, F-1 for the big ass gas storage tanks. Which totals to ... 26."

Daniel was smiling as he started, "Sam, I have to say that I am impressed. You covered all the bases, but we can't live on mall food... Well, I can't live on mall food. But, I like the quality upgrade from Wal-Mart. 9 for Entertainment, 10 for Practicality, 8 for Strategic Value, but alas, only a 1 for Feasibility. How can you expect to move huge gas tanks. So... 28."

The three turned to Jack, "Well played, Carter. You score 84. Good enough for second, but you lost on feasibility." Jack used a stone to smooth the wood on the doll. "Well, Milli is done, so time to hit the sack, kids."

"What about you, Jack?" Daniel asked.

"Are you kidding? With all the crap you guys want me to carry? Nah, you guys already took all the good stuff. Wal-Mart has TV's, videos, beer, AND a bakery. And Carter just turned the power on. What else could I possibly need?" He glanced around. Sam and Daniel were giving him `the look.' "OK, OK, ... in addition, blah, blah, blah... I want the Stargate and DHD from P4Y-753. You know that nasty planet with the stinky swamp. They aren't using it sooo... I'll just take it off their hands and then we can all go home."

"Beep. Wrong answer. Rule number one is `no Stargate,'" Sam glanced at Daniel and Cam. "Shall we disqualify him, gentlemen?"

"Indubitably," came Daniel's response.

"Yup," quipped Cam.

"Punishment?" Sam asked.

"I'm partial to a humiliating song and dance routine," Daniel grinned, "How about `I'm a little teapot,' complete with hand motions."

"Very nice."

"Oy, you two are evil and .. are corrupting poor Colonel Mitchell. He was such a fine officer before he was exposed to you two," Jack replied. They all grinned evilly at him. "Fine." Jack stood up.

"I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle." He slapped his hand on his hip suggestively. "Here is my spout." He thrust his arm up and his hips forward. "When I whistle and jiggle and shout." He wiggled his hips as he turned in a full circle, working around the campfire." Just tip me over and pour me out." He tipped sideways and his `spout' grabbed Daniel from behind.

Daniel jumped and all four fell back laughing at Jack's antics.

As the laughter died away, they settled into an easy silence, enjoying the quiet company. Cam and Sam finally said good night and retired to their nests in the back of the cave. Daniel and Jack sat quietly by the fire, each lost in his own thoughts.

Daniel finally broke the silence after a few minutes. "Why do you always intentionally lose the game?" he quietly asked.

Jack poked the fire with a stick, stirring the ashes, before finally responding. "Two reasons, really. One, to see you all laugh and smile. You all work too hard. The least I can do is get you to laugh a little. Release some of that pent up tension. Have you noticed that I give in way to easily to whatever goofy punishment you dish out?"

Daniel smiled, "Yeah. Sam and I talked about it one night. Her theory was that you were letting off steam. That you had to be so serious for everyone else, that it helped to be silly for just us. You used to do that at the SGC, too."

"I did? Huh." They sat quietly for a bit more.

Finally, Daniel prompted, "And the other reason?"

Jack sighed deeply, "The second reason is because even though we desperately need all those supplies to survive, the Stargate is the one thing we need to get home. And I desperately want to get everyone home. Every time a team goes out, I keep hoping that THIS time they will find it." He paused, collecting his thoughts. "There are times when I can FEEL it out there. Calling to some remnant of Kanan."

Daniel waited in silence. Jack continued, "When it was just us on missions, it was like ... a grand adventure. The danger and excitement was a part of that. Sure, we were doing what we could to keep Earth safe. But, we were safe in the knowledge that we were only risking our OWN lives. Our families and friends would still be safe back home. Life would go on if we failed." He stabbed at the fire again. "But this time... this time the bastards brought our families along for the ride. How do I answer the little kids, when they ask me if Santa can find their new home?" He stopped again, unable to continue.

"You've been thinking about this a lot, huh?" Daniel regarded his friend carefully.

"How can you tell?" Jack laughed sneaking a quick glance at Daniel.

"I didn't have to pull it out of you, for one."

"Yes... that would be ... telling." Jack lay back next to the fire watching the flames. "I was thinking that we," he motioned to include the whole encampment, "should name this place. Make it easier to cope... But, then ... naming something makes it sound..." he let out a short breath, "... permanent... Like accepting our fate... or something."

Daniel went back to watching the flames. A name did sound permanent. Final. Like they were giving up hope. More disturbing was that Jack was thinking along these lines. His eternal optimism kept them alive on more than one mission. Even stuck in a different time, he failed to lose hope that they would find a way home to their own time.

What was different now? Surely, they had been in worse positions before, right? The kids, he thought glumly. When ever kids were involved, Jack's mission plans were overly cautious. And right now, no plan was without risk to everyone. Hell, we don't even have a plan outside of survive. Jack was once again thinking two steps ahead of everyone else. He was building a permanent community because it was the only plan. No plan B was in the works. What had Jack said all those years ago? Where there is a will, there's a but. There has to be another way. Jack's words echoed in his mind, Then find it, Daniel. I will, my friend. I will.

"Nope." Daniel finally responded. "We can't name it yet. I mean, it's only been a month. We would have to be here... what?... at least a year or more?... Before we could even consider naming it."

Jack smiled sadly, "You're right, Daniel. A name would be ... pre-mature... at this point." Jack stood up slowly. "Well... I'd better hit the sack. Apparently, I have a lot to pick up at the store tomorrow." He turned when he reached his pallet at the back. "And Daniel?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo

"Landry" Hank barked into his phone.

"General, this is Chief Tom Wilcox from the Colorado Springs Police Department."

"Hi, Tom. How are you doing?" Hank smiled. He had been working with Tom Wilcox last month on the strange disappearance of the SGC personnel and other citizens around Colorado Springs. While the investigation had gone no where, the two men had come away with a deep respect for each other. Hank thought that Tom could be a little formal, but didn't feel the need to loosen the man up.

"Not so good, General. I need your help bad. We had another one of those green-thing disappearances and the whole town is in a panic. I can't reach the mayor and I don't have the authority to get the Governor." The normally reserved police chief sounded on the edge of panic.

"What happened?"

The chief took in a deep breath, "I'm not exactly sure, but several of the local retail stores were lit up with that strange green light while people were still inside them. In some stores, only the goods disappeared. But in others, a few of the people disappeared with the stuff. It seems as if the whole town has been calling 9-1-1. People are panicking." The chief took another deep breath, trying to calm himself down, "I'm not exactly sure what to do on this one. I know that we worked together when the last group of people disappeared. I was hoping for your help on this one."

"Understood. I'll do what I can. I'm sending you my best team to help investigate. Call this number directly if you need anything."

"Thanks. I'll be at the station waiting for your men." Landry could hear the relief in the Chief's voice. "I'll advise my people that they are on the way."

Hank hung up the phone. It happened again. "Damn it!" He rushed to the control room and hit the overhead comm. "This is General Landry. I am initiating a personnel recall. All personnel are to immediately report to their duty station." He flicked the PA off and turned to the technician on duty. "Start a telephone recall for everyone currently not on base. I want an accounting of all SGC personnel ASAP. Have SG-1 report to the briefing room as soon as they are accounted for. I'll be in my office." Hank turned abruptly and returned to his office to make some calls.

--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo

Teal'c and his team arrived at the Colorado Springs Police Department within half an hour. General Landry's briefing had been sketchy. The police department was a flourish of activity. The desk sergeant spotted them and immediately led them back to Chief Wilcox in the dispatch office.

"Chief, the Air Force people you were expecting are here," the desk sergeant introduced them then returned to his post.

Chief Wilcox eyed them skeptically as he talked on the phone. "Alright. Bye." Chief Wilcox turned to the team, "I'm Chief Tom Wilcox. Welcome to my little world."

"I am Murray. This is Vala, Capt. Yan, and TSgt. Matheson. How may we be of assistance?"

"Things have calmed down somewhat from earlier. It has helped that no one has spotted more green lights stealing stuff. Our patrols have been able to keep anyone from looting the unaffected stores. Did you work on the last disappearance investigation?" the Chief asked.

"Indeed. I witnessed my teammates' disappearance for myself and was tasked with collecting information from ... other sources," Teal'c replied stoically.

"Good. Then I'll let you help conduct the interviews. Frankly, my detectives are not sure what to ask. I'll have a cruiser escort you to the first location. I'll be here if you need any official support. Let me know if you run into any problems. My detectives will meet you there." The Chief turned back to his dispatcher and she handed him the phone again.

Teal'c motioned his team to proceed him out of the office. They had just returned to the government car when his cell phone rang.

Teal'c glanced around before answering, "This is ... Murray."

"Teal'c. Landry. We have completed the recall. One Airman is missing. MSgt Jessica Kern. According to her roommate, she left to go shopping at Wal-Mart about 45 minutes before the recall. Her cell phone is giving an out-of-area message."

Teal'c climbed into the car as he listened to General Landry. "That is indeed good news. Chief Wilcox has stated that the panic is subsiding. There have been no new reports of the green light. We are currently on our way to this ... Wall Mart ... to assist in interviewing the witnesses. I will endeavor to determine the location of Sergeant Kern. We will report anything we find."

"I think we have to assume she will be among the missing. She was stationed at the Alpha Site at the time of the first disappearances. I'll have Chief Wilcox make a public statement about reporting missing people to the hotline. Keep me informed. Landry out."

Teal'c closed the phone with a snap, "Only one person from the SGC is missing; Master Sergeant Jessica Kern. All other SGC personnel have been located."

"I guess that is some ... small... consolation." Vala tossed out. "Maybe we will find out something useful this time. Heaven knows, the last bunch of interviews were a complete waste of time."

"We shall see," Teal'c replied quietly.

Several hours later, Teal'c was forced to admit that the interviews were a complete waste of time. The only useful information he had was from a cashier who recognized MSgt Kern and identified her as one of the missing. The rest of the interviews repeated the same useless information. His current interview was no different.

"An' than this ... weird greenish light surrounded me. I damn near `ad a heart attack. It seemed to go on ferev'r. When it finally went away, all my stuff was gone. I mean... just... gone. Even the hundred dollars in my wallet. I mean, what da' hell would aliens want with beer and cheetos?... I know'd it was the aliens. I'd seen `um before when they's probed my head and l'ft me neked in the corn feld."

After the man left, Vala snidely remarked, "No wonder the `aliens' left him. I wouldn't want to be stuck with him either. Although, I bet they got a good laugh out of him."

"Indeed."

Vala began to pace around the room, "Why do you think they took so many ... `things'... this time? I mean, we have only counted 38 people missing, but literally tons of stuff useful only to the Tau'ri. Granted... chocolate could be worth its weight in naquadah on the black market. But, the rest doesn't make any sense." Vala stopped pacing, "Unless, they were supplies for our missing people?" Hope surged through her. "That might explain the missing vehicles and," she glanced at the notes, "construction supplies."

"You may be on to something, Vala Mal Doran. We must get a list of the missing items from the vendors. Perhaps, it will give us a ... clue." A smile curved Teal'c's lips.

--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo

"General Landry, its good to see you again," Agent Barrett walked into the general's office with several folders.

"Agent Barrett, you said that you had some additional information about our disappearances."

"Yes, Sir." Agent Barrett opened his folders and pulled out two reports, "As you know the NID has also been investigating the disappearances. During the first incident, multiple locations were targeted. We suspected that this may also be the case for the second incident. We contacted our agents all across the country and came across two other incidents of `strange green lights.' One in Bloomington, Minnesota where it encompassed parts of a mall and Dallas, Texas where a computer store was targeted." He paused and handed the two reports to the general. "One person confirmed missing from Dallas, an electronics engineer. A family of four confirmed missing from St. Paul, Minnesota. An OB/GYN and his family. They were last seen entering the mall."

Hank stared down at the reports. The family photo was peeking out of the stack. He gently tucked it back into the folder. "Thank you, Agent Barrett. That brings the total up to 48 confirmed missing." Hank looked at the younger man closely. "Has any progress been made in determining a reason for the targeted locations or why so few people were taken in this attack?"

Agent Barrett frowned, "Not that I am aware of. Currently, we can only speculate. My analysts find it odd that the aliens could target a specific individual, but not a specific item. They think that the desired items were in the locations and simply took everything to get the one item. It just doesn't make sense otherwise."

Hank grunted, "Maybe their information was inaccurate and they only know of the locations, not the specific item. They already had over 300 of our people. Yet, when they attacked again they didn't get anything of importance, just retail junk. All of it would be totally useless to an advanced race with their kind of beaming technology." Hank grinned, "Ha! You want to know what I think. I think that General O'Neill and the rest are feeding the aliens a line of bullshit. Sending them on a wild goose chase." Hank sat back with a positive feeling. "It's the first real sign we've had that they are still alive out there."

"True, General. I just hope we get them back."

"So do I... So do I."

--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo

"What the hell?" Jack signaled the team to stop. "Another damn rock. I guess we know why low quarters are not recommended for field use." He gestured towards his trashed uniform, "or class A's in general." He sighed as he dug out the rock. "Alright, lets go."

Jack settled the rifle back into position and started back down the trail. He was walking next to SSgt Ted Garrett. All morning, in between removing rocks from his shoes, they had been quietly arguing the flaws and merits of wearing the dress uniform. So far the only merit was that the women thought they looked `hot'. However, they were in complete agreement that the class A service dress uniform was totally inappropriate for field use. Unfortunately, Jack was stuck in the only clothes he had. "When we get back, I will never wear blues to work again." He glanced at Garrett before returning his gaze to the surrounding countryside. He caught the smirk. "Just in case we get abducted by aliens again."

The team had nearly made it back to the drop zone; the field where they originally woke up. Jack had enjoyed the whole trip, except for the rocks. He enjoyed the quiet trips into the field away from the stresses of living too close to too many people in a cave. He wasn't much use to the teams busy developing tools and he was death to any plant he tried to cultivate. So he split his administrative duties with time in the field. Not that there was any paperwork. But his people felt better about their progress if he listened to their verbal reports and gave them a "Good job." Last night's good banter and the morning spent in the field had helped him shed the last of his melancholy mood. Of course, Daniel had helped too.

Suddenly, the Maj. Vasquez signaled the team to stop. The forest around them suddenly fell quiet. Off in the distance, they heard a thrumming noise, and then nothing. They waited in silence, scanning the surrounding trees. The forest slowly came back to life. Silently, they stalked toward where they heard the noise. They could see a break in the trees ahead. When they finally reached the clearing, they all froze and stared in shock.

They had reached the drop zone, and the field was littered with stuff. Piles of clothes, tools, food, lumber... you name it. Things were crammed into every nook and cranny. "What the hell?" SSgt Garrett whispered.

"Scan the area. Look for any sign of `them.'" Jack and SG-5 spread out to surround and search the immediate area. Not five steps later. "Crap, I got bodies." Jack reached down and checked for a pulse. "He's alive. Vasquez, send a runner back to the caves. We need every able bodied adult here now; military first to clear the area, then Delta Whiskey Corp and Brat Pack. Make sure they leave enough adults and security for the kids. Let's secure the area as best we can. Identify the newcomers if possible. Hopefully, they will wake up soon."

Jack walked through the maze of goods checking people as he found them. All of them appeared to be deep asleep. They staked out the perimeter looking for any sign of the aliens and waited for the rest of the Tau'ri to come from the caves.

About an hour later, the newcomers began to wake up. There were fewer of them this time. Maybe 50 people tops. Jack was sitting next to a family with two toddlers, the only new kids; watching over them as the slept. When the parents began to stir, Jack stood up and waited. "Vasquez, when they are all awake, have them all gather over here," he ordered quietly.

"Yes, Sir." He passed the order to the remaining two SG-5 members.

Slowly, the confused people were up and looking around. Jack and SG-5 herded them to one spot. Finally, with everyone gathered. Jack addressed them.

"I am General Jack O'Neill, US Air Force of the Tau'ri. I don't know how you got here or why `they' took you to begin with. About a month ago, over 300 of us were dumped here in this field in the exact same way you were. You are welcome to join us at our camp. You will find that you no longer look as old as you used to. We don't know why, but so fare everyone taken now appears to look only 20 years old. So, my first question is: are you from Earth?"

One man, in an expensive business suit, frowned at him. "Where else would we be from?"

"I'll take that as a `yes.' What cities are you from?" Jack continued.

The group answered with a chorus of `Colorado Springs' with a few `Denver's sprinkled in with one `Dallas' and a family from `St. Paul'.

"OK, are any of you from the SGC or have relatives working in Cheyenne Mountain?"

The group was mostly quiet. A woman in the back raised her hand. Jack motioned her to join Maj. Vasquez. "Alright. What is the last thing you remember before waking up here?"

"I went into a bookstore to grab some coffee."

"I was grocery shopping."

"Getting advice on how to install a new sink in my rental property."

"Talking to the dealer about a bike."

"Working."

Each response was different. Jack waited until the group settled back down. Before continuing again, the man in the business suit asked, "Are you one of those people the police and the military were looking for?"

"Yeah," another man continued, "it was all over the news about a month ago. Anyone having any information about the disappearances was supposed to call a hotline."

"I remember. My sister watched someone vanish at the grocery store. They never found them." The woman suddenly looked back at Jack taking his the poor state of his clothing, stricken, "Are we missing now?"

Jack sighed, "Yes and Yes. It's nice to know we were missed."

The man in the business suit frowned, "Why not just call 9-1-1?" He whipped out his cell phone and dialed with practiced ease. "Of all the... No service... I pay good money to get service any where in Colorado." He glared at the phone as if to blame it.

A woman to the left was staring intently at Jack. He watched as realization dawned in her eyes. Slowly, she asked, "Why did you ask us if we were from Earth?"

Jack grimaced. He was hoping the alien abduction thing could wait till later. "Because... near as we can figure... we are no longer on Earth." He willed her to leave it at that. They would all learn about the SGC soon enough from the rest of the Tau'ri. One shock at a time. "For one thing, the stars at night are all wrong. For another, that tree," he pointed, "is blue." As one, the group turned and stared at the bright blue tree. "Now, don't get me wrong. I like blue. I'm just not used to seeing it on... a tree." He heard SSgt Garrett snort behind him and felt gratified that his humor was not in vain. He noticed a few shy smiles in the crowd.

Jack organized the newcomers to sorting the piles of goods in the center of the clearing while they waited for help from the caves. The man in the business suit was none other than Joseph Oliver, the Mayor of Colorado Springs. Jack spent most of the next hour trying to lose the good mayor, who seemed to have `just one more question' or commenting on the poor appearance of their rescuers. Finally, he sent the man to sort pots on the far side of the clearing, declaring it a job of `vital' importance.

Not long after that the rest of the Tau'ri arrived. Jack had the military secure the perimeter and join SG-5 in checking for any signs of the aliens. Jack quickly paired some of them up with a newcomer and loaded them down with stuff to take back. He kept the families with kids back until the Delta Whiskey Corp arrived.

Smiling, Jack welcomed the head of the DWC, "Sandra, thank goodness. These folks are new here about and I was hoping you and the Delta Whiskey Corp could look after them. They are only new family with kids. Luckily, the rest are all singles and couples."

"Sure, Jack." Sandra turned to the new families. "Don't worry, your kids will be safe in the caves. My children are safely back there with my husband. Please follow me and I'll help you get settled." She led them to the edge of the clearing. "It's a long trip, so don't carry too much. You will most likely have to carry the children before we reach the caves." With that she loaded herself down with clothing and gently herded the families before her towards the security escorts.

"Delta Whiskey?" asked one of the mothers.

Sandra chuckled, "Dependant Wives are often referred to as DW's. Delta Whiskey in phonetics. We adopted the term when we arrived here. It helped us organize the different skills we have. Besides, it could be worse. The college kids decided to call themselves the Brat Pack." The conversation drifted away from him. He could see Sandra leading the families to the rally point.

He was about to load himself down with clothes when he noticed the ATV trailer. Then the ATV. Then the key to the ATV. "Nice." He jumped the clothing pile to check the gas level of the ATV. "Very nice. Thompson!" He shouted. "Load up the heavy stuff into the trailers. Some of the ATV's have gas." Col. Thompson grinned as he coordinated the efforts to dig out the ATV's and start loading the trailers.

Col Thompson scanned the piles and frowned. There was no way they could haul all this stuff before the gas ran out. He turned back to Jack, "Priorities, General?"

"Generators and heavy awkward equipment first. We'll see from there. We can rig a way to pull the trailers by hand when the gas runs out."

"Yes, Sir."

--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo

It took a week to move all the stuff from the clearing back to the caves. That first night, they all had an icy bath with real soap and a much needed change of clothes. Jack had a ceremonial burning of the rags to celebrate, as he called it, `the good fortune of clean underwear'. The group gathered every night to sample the long missed foods and dance under electric lights, playing whatever they could find on a battery operated stereo.

Daniel had taken charge of the numerous books and was establishing a library in an alcove off the communal project cave. While sorting through the materials, he was surprised to see several boxes labeled with his name. They contained the books from his library at the SGC, carefully packed away for storage. He moved these books to the back of the alcove for safe keeping.

Likewise, Dr. Carolyn Lam had commandeered any and all medical supplies, from aspirin and Band-Aids to what appeared to be a complete in-store pharmacy. She was blessing the powers that be to finally have real medicine once again. Antibiotics, anaphylactic medications, and real pain killers were back on her list of prescribed treatments. This whole past month, Carolyn had been dreading the day when one of their number would get seriously sick or injured and she would be unable to do more than provide a quiet place to heal. Luckily, no one had become sick or seriously injured. Now, she felt like she was better prepared to assist this merry band of misfits. Her medical cave now looked more like an infirmary.

The food that they could salvage was now stored in the communal food cave with one of the generators and the remaining gasoline. The industrial generator ran all the freezer units they could find. However, the ice cream didn't make it and was eaten half melted on the first day. By community consent, they saved alcohol and coffee for one big party to be held after all the goods were stored. There wasn't enough to ration for very long. Everyone decided that one last binge was better than doling it out slowly.

The clothing and shoes were distributed among the group as fairly as possible. Anything that was not claimed was stored for future use. Everyone was clean and smiling once again. The military members did their best to maintain military protocol, but without the uniform, many quickly developed a more informal protocol. Jack approved of the change and decided to make it standard policy. He kept watch for any discipline problems and was pleasantly surprised to find the informal protocol being adopted by the civilian members of his motley group. Encouraged, he gave his blessing to the adopt the informal protocol for all the Tau'ri.

The new people were settled into the caves with only a few problems. A few of the old crew had shuffled around to ensure there was no overcrowding in any single cave. However, the Honorable Joseph Oliver was a minor problem. The good mayor was at loose ends and pestered Jack constantly for lack of something better to do. Jack was almost willing to throttle the man just to be left alone for 10 minutes. Luckily for the mayor, Sam had discovered that he was a chemist before being elected to office. She immediately had Joe start to develop an organic fuel for the generators and the motorcycles. To Jack's surprise, Joe felt he could have a testable prototype before the remaining gasoline was used up.

With the last of the items moved from the drop zone to the caves, the Tau'ri were ready to celebrate and make plans for the future. They had been so caught up in day-to-day survival that no one had projected past tomorrow's meal or the current project. They had too much to do and not nearly enough time, energy, or the proper tools to accomplish it. Now, they had the tools and the time. Many of the on-going projects were no longer needed. So, for now, almost everyone was at loose ends. Jack decided that now was the perfect time for everyone to take a much needed break. So the whole group planned a big party and a "Mandatory" day off.

At the start of the party, Jack had ordered all his `troops' to participate in absolutely, positively, no work what so ever. The whole group laughed as Jack glared at Sam and Daniel. Daniel cried "What?" in response. Tonight was for celebrating. Everyone had needed the break, and truly, no encouragement was needed to abandon the now useless projects. Tomorrow they would meet and decide priorities as a group. Tonight they were supposed to enjoy the last of the beer and coffee and whatever pastries had survived the week. Of course, many of the celebrants also took this opportunity to get to know their peers on a more personal level. Many of the military personnel felt more comfortable pursuing personal relationships because Jack had insisted that the new informal protocol outlined that fraternization between military members was allowed as long as the personal relationship didn't affect the working environment.

Now, Jack sat smiling as he watched his world weary people transformed into a happy community. He was content. Not happy, but content. For the moment, everything was going to be alright. He wasn't surprised though when Daniel found him soaking in the atmosphere of the party.

"So..." Daniel started.

"Yeah?"

Daniel smirked, "You forgot the gas depot."

"Damn. I knew I forgot something." Jack turned to his friend smiling, "I must have left it with the Stargate."

"Oh. Well then... It must be around here somewhere." They both turned back, watching the party. "So... what now?" Daniel asked.

"Now? We celebrate, Daniel. Another day alive, a full belly, a roof over our heads, and good company. Enjoy it." He gestured to the merry group. Smiling he pointed out where some of the Brat Pack were teaching the youngest kids how to line dance. Every one had a huge smile and was laughing frequently. "For once in your life, Daniel, live for the moment. Be happy NOW. We can take care of tomorrow... tomorrow. So, Carpe diem... seize the fish," with a parting laugh, Jack left to join the line dancing group. Daniel sat for a bit watching the happy celebration around him, trying to enjoy the moment.

Daniel spotted Sam with Capt. Jen Hailey. They seemed to be in deep conversation while watching Cassie and her boyfriend across the clearing. When he caught Sam casting glances towards the line dancers, he decided that in lieu of work, gossip with friends seemed like a good use of his time.

"Sam. Jen. What are you two conspiring over back here?"

"Hey Daniel. We were gossiping about Cassie. You?" Sam replied innocently.

Daniel narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "Gossip, huh? And here I thought you were discussing work. I was so hoping to join you," Daniel waved. "So... anything good?" Jen blushed. "Really good... huh. Cool. So, who's the guy?"

Sam tried to look innocent, "What ever do you mean, Dr. Jackson?"

"Well," he continued. "It seams to me... that the only really good gossip involves a guy and a girl. Since Cassie is a girl, who is the guy?" he paused, catching the eye of a pretty nurse who was blatantly smiling at him.

"Really, Daniel? Does this mean that Lt. Sally Wimple over there is good gossip fodder? I mean, you are a guy and she is a girl..." Sam was merciless.

Daniel, not to be take down so easily replied, "What an excellent idea, Sam. Sally is a true vision of loveliness, has very gentle hands, and looks interested. Gossip away. I've got a nurse to talk to... about a medical issue... of course," smiling Daniel excused himself to go over to Sally.

"Of course." Sam watched as Daniel led Sally out to dance. She sighed unhappily and glanced at her friend. "Oh, don't you start, Jen."

"But I have to. Cassie hooked up with Josh almost from the moment we got here. Daniel is currently hunting poor Sally. Colonel Mitchell just snuck into the woods with Carolyn Lam. Nobody is following the old protocol at the party ... It can't hurt to just ask him for a dance. They're line dancing for heavens sake. Come on... You know you want to..." Jen teased.

"Yes, but ... what about you? I don't see you jumping the nearest guy," she started.

"Nope. But this isn't about me. It's about you and Jack." Jen smiled as she ticked off the facts on her fingers, "You are both being held against your will by aliens. The aliens don't bother to show their faces. We are no longer following FULL military protocol. We could be stuck here the rest of our lives. And LIFE IS TOO SHORT to waste an opportunity for a brief moment of happiness... No, buts." Jen waited.

"Ack. The word evil comes to mind when you get this way."

"Yeah, well, until we invent a Stargate or a space ship with hyper drive, I must look at the big picture."

"And that is..." Sam looked at Jen suspiciously.

"The preservation of the species, of course."

Sam rolled her eyes at Jen, "Oh, please. And just what are you doing to `preserve the human race.'"

"Well, since you asked sooo nicely..." Jen grinned. "I am going to bag an Airman," she casually replied. "Sam, let me give you the same advice my mama gave me. Men are like puppies..."

"Puppies? Oh, I bet they like that comparison."

"Seriously, they are all eager up front, but then some bitch kicks them hard and they get all defensive. You just got to gently encourage them to come to you, like it's their own idea. Then tell them `good boy' when they do finally come willingly."

Sam laughed, "Your mom was seriously bent. You know that, right?"

"Yes," Jen laughed. "And seriously fixated on puppies. Personally, I think men are more like cats. Fiercely independent, but willing to cuddle on their own terms. Like that little tiger right there," Jen pointed to Maj. Vasquez, quietly nursing a beer by the stereo.

"Joe?" Sam asked. Jen nodded. Sam gave him a quick appraisal, "Nice face. Broad shoulders. Quick mind. Good pick. How long have you been eyeing him?"

"About a year now. I didn't think I had a chance back home. But now... with a bit of liquid courage..." Jen smiled and downed the last of her beer. "Wish me luck." Sam watched her approach Maj. Jose Vasquez. He smiled back at Jen and soon they were lost in conversation. Sam sighed again as her eyes wandered back to her heart's desire.

All around her, people were using the party to `hook-up' with people they have known and liked, or for some, just met a month ago. Sam wanted to do the same, but old habits held her back. For years, she and Jack had built up walls to keep them from being more than professional. When Jack left the SGC, she had always hoped for more, but she found that Jack didn't want to bring down his walls. They were too strong. Maybe he truly believed that she was too good for him. And that he was too old and broken to risk her career over. So, instead, he distanced himself mentally and physically by moving to DC.

And then they were taken. They fell right back into the same old habits. Military protocol dictated their moves because anything else was too close and personal. But, they had been flirting more lately. Less guarded. He sure isn't too old now. Maybe the walls would come down this time. But Sam didn't want to wait any longer. Jen was right, life was too short to squander the time we have.

She continued to watch as children were herded to bed, and groups broke down into couples. And, eventually, some couples wandered off into the dark. Her mind easily supplying visions of what they were doing. What she could be doing. Instinctively, her eyes sought out Jack again. "Oh, for heavens sake." She closed her eyes only to delve deeper into the fantasy. OK, so that's not working. She consciously tried to regain control and slow her breathing. When she opened her eyes again, she saw Jack approaching. "Oh boy!"

"Sam, what could you possibly be thinking so hard about?" Jack's voice washed over her as he sat down next to her.

She blushed, "Oh... Survival and... stuff," she replied lamely. Like wild monkey sex with you right... over ... there. Oh, that is so not helping.

"Right. That has you all twisted up," Jack eyed her skeptically, noting the deepening blush.

"It's just... I mean, I..." she started, but just couldn't seem to force the words out. "Nothing," she sighed, and tried to change the subject, "Did you know, Jen likes Joe Vasquez?"

"She does? That's great. He has been working up the courage to ask her out since she joined the SGC. They will make a good couple." Jack smiled at her. "But, what does that have to do with survival and ... stuff?"

Damn, like a hound dog on a scent. Heh heh, puppy hound dog. Come here little puppy. Changing tactics, Sam continued, "Well... Jen was just talking about the ... um... preservation of the species. She... ah... wanted to do her part." Sam blushed. I am so transparent. This is sooo not going to work.

"Ah." Jack smiled at her discomfort. "What about you?"

"Me?" She squeaked. I sooo want to do my part with you ... again and again. Come on little puppy. Nothing to fear from the nice astrophysicist. Don't you want to cuddle?

"Yes. Don't you want to ensure the survival of mankind?" Jack looked over at her, his voice full of heat, "Surely, you have someone in mind."

*Yes! Good boy!* Sam grinned, "I might... Would you care to go for a ... `walk' ... on this fine night?"

Jack grinned back, "Indeed, I would." He rose and offered her his arm. Sam gladly accepted his arm and leaned into his long frame. "Shall we?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Oh, yes, let's," she replied as they walked into the dark.

--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo

Late the next morning, the group gathered in front of the caves. Jack had recalled all the perimeter security and positioned them around the clearing within earshot of the proceedings. Jack smiled at the group before him.

"Good afternoon, everyone. I hope everyone enjoyed the party last night." Heads bobbed in the crowd in response. "We are gathered here today to set priorities. I feel that each one of you should have a say in where we go from here. A week ago, we were barely surviving. Now, with the proper tools, we can go on to thrive in our new environment. What we need to discuss is how we... as a group... want to thrive."

Jack took a long look that included everyone in the crowd, "I think it's important for you all to hear the latest intelligence from home. Among the newcomers is one MSgt Jessica Kern from the SGC. She was pulled from the Alpha Site when we all disappeared. Because of this, we now know that the SGC has no idea where we are, if we are alive, or who took us. They are still investigating, but don't have a clue where to look." He paused to let those grim thoughts sink in. "In other news, the Ori are starting a major offensive and all assets are being thrown towards protecting Earth. So, even if they did get some intelligence on us, they might not be able to do anything about it." Again, he paused to let the news sink in. Jack sighed, he didn't want to give them this news, but he felt that they needed to know. "I hate to be a negative Nellie, but it is time that we consider that we might not be going home." Jack sat down and Col Ted Thompson stood next.

Mumbling was heard throughout the crowd. Ted waited until the mumbling quieted down. "We are working on an inventory of the goods we found. But in general, we have what we need to build... tools, lumber, equipment, clothes... we also have a lot of useless stuff. Hopefully, the brains will have the power up soon," he glanced over at Dr. Lee to see a quick nod. "So, some of the junk will be useful again. But for the most part, we won't have the power to plug everything in."

Dr. Lee and Sam stood up, "We can build or invent ... well... a lot of stuff. But we only have so many people to dedicate to a project. Currently, Mr. Oliver is working on an organic fuel for the generators and ATV's. However, our other projects... namely, forging hammers and saws... are no longer needed. So, we," she motioned to the scientists, "are at loose ends. Once we set priorities, turn us loose and watch out."

Col. Steven Reynolds stood up. "Over the last month our SG Teams have searched every inch of this valley and about 30 miles of the surrounding terrain. We have found nothing to indicate civilization is or ever was here. No Stargate, no ancient ruins, no native population. We will continue the long patrols until we are sure that no threats exist within several days walk from here."

Jack stood up again, "I propose Plan A. We create a sustainable community while we wait for rescue." More mumbling.

"What's Plan B, Jack?" Daniel asked. The crowd got quiet.

Jack smiled, "I'm still working on Plan B, but basically, we find the bastards that did this and make them take us home through the Stargate or a ship..." the SGC part of the crowd cheered. "But, I still need to work out a few details."

"So, Plan B it is." Daniel looked around, "But, we can follow Plan A until you work out the details." More cheers from everyone.

"As long as you all understand, Plan A is temporary. One of these days, if we don't find it first, Carter will build us a Stargate." Sam blushed and punched his arm, while the crowd cheered.

--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo--oVo

"Dr. Lam?" Cassie asked at the cave entrance the next morning. "Are you in here?"

"Just a minute. I'll be right out," Cassie heard replied back from the cave, then some quiet whispering and a loud "Shhhhh."

A minute later, Carolyn emerged from the cave looking a little bit rumpled. "Sorry. I was still... sleeping."

"Riight." Cassie grinned, "Morning, Cam," she shouted into the dark cave. Carolyn blushed. Cassie smiled at the muffled reply from the cave.

"So, is something wrong?" Carolyn asked.

"Well, no... I mean, sort of... Argh." She took a deep breath and continued, "I haven't had my period since we got here. I'm about two weeks late. And, I wanted to know if ... in all the stuff we found... can you do a pregnancy test?"

"Really?... I mean, yes of course. You do know that it could just be stress, right?" Carolyn kicked into doctor mode and they started to walk towards the `infirmary'.

Cassie sighed, "Yes, and I didn't think anything of it until this morning. But, I didn't drink last night and ... well, I felt like throwing up this morning."

"We can try one of the at-home tests. They are fairly accurate."

Cassie turned her attention inward. "I'll take it, but I think I already know the answer. I just want to be sure."

Dr. Lam went over to a box in the corner. "No problem. It'll just take a minute to find the tests... here they are. Now, just follow the directions and you'll have your answer." She handed the box over to Cassie.

"Don't you want to ... I mean... please help me." Cassie was starting to panic and caught herself before she jumped up and ran off. "Please," she said simply.

Carolyn smiled, "Of course."

Carolyn helped Cassie with the test. Cassie was blushing as she had to pee on the stick. But she was immensely grateful to Carolyn as she waited with her.

"You ready to look?" Carolyn asked gently.

"No... Yes... NO!" Cassie sighed. "Yes."

Carolyn showed her the two lines. "Congratulations! Now, I fully expect to be your attending OB," she grinned.

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

6


22
PRESERVATION OF THE SPECIES