Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

New Beginnings

by smileybug_gater
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Several Months Later

 

Mitchell stared at the chess board. He knew he was in trouble four moves ago but some how if he stared at the board long enough the answer would appear to him. He chuckled and drew his hands across his face.

“Something funny Mitchell?” asked O’Neill.

Mitchell hated the satisfied look O’Neill hand on his face. Despite what he had heard about him at the SGC, the man had a keen sharp mind. Mitchell had yet to beat him in a game of chess.

“I was just thinking there for a moment that I know what Carter must feel like.” Mitchell said.

O’Neill looked at him quizzically, “You’ve been staring at that board for forty-five minutes now. Give up. I’ve got you cornered.”

“Now don’t push me. I need to look at it in a different way,” he said laying is head on the table for a side view.

O’Neill placed his hands behind his head and leaned back. Vala entered the common room, heading straight for O’Neill.

“General, I got the block of wood you wanted,” said Vala placing a foot long piece of wood on the table.

“Excellent. Did she suspect anything?” O’Neill asked.

“She doesn’t suspect a thing,” O’Neill and Mitchell looked at her doubtfully, “Ok she might suspect something but nothing that has to do with you. I told her a leg on our dresser broke and I wanted some wood to keep it from wobbling. She offered to make a new dresser but I told her I was attached to the old one…. Sooo, what’s it for?” she asked crouching down.

“Nope it’s a surprise.” O’Neill said looking the wood over. He ran his hands along the grain, rubbing the end with his thumb.

“Come on you know I hate surprises,” begged Vala.

Both men snorted their disbelief.

“I like surprises. I just prefer be to the surpriser…rather than the surprised.” Vala said throwing her hair over her shoulder. O’Neill shook his head no.

“Well you’re no fun. I’m off,” she bounded towards the exit, “Samantha and I are going to pick out some new clothes. Almost like shopping. Any requests General?” she added with a wink.

After she left Mitchell looked at O’Neill as he continued to examine the piece of wood.

“So what’s it for?” he asked but did not expect O’Neill to answer.

“Carter for Christmas,” he replied.

“Why wouldn’t you tell Vala?” asked Mitchell.

“Aww, she’d probably let it slip, plus if it doesn’t work out Carter will never know and I can download some obscure Asgard physics book that she hasn’t read yet and she’ll never know the difference,” he stated. “Plus it’ll drive Vala nuts.”

Mitchell scrutinized the man who sat across the table from him. O’Neill was his commanding officer. Their confinement on the ship had made the chain of command become a grey area. Mitchell found he liked the General. He could be difficult if you rubbed him the wrong way but on the whole he respected O’Neill and enjoyed his sarcastic humor. He even considered him a friend, a friend who could order him to go away if he wanted, but a friend none the less.

“You’re giving her a block of wood? You sentimental fool.” Mitchell said picking up a rook, one of the few pieces he had managed to capture from O’Neill.

“No, smart ass, I’m making something out of it. My grandfather used to carve wood. He showed me a few tricks. Granted it’s been years since I’ve done it but I figured it’d give me something to work on for the next few weeks.”

“I’m sure whatever it is she’ll like it.” Mitchell said.

O’Neill shrugged.

“She likes anything you give her.” Mitchell had been staring at the board but snuck a peak at O’Neill’s face. O’Neill, surprisingly was blank. He merely continued to look at the board.

“You know she likes you right?” he prodded.

His eyes never wavering from the board O’Neill replied, “We’ve known each other a long time. If she didn’t like me I don’t think we’d still be on speaking terms. She’s a good friend.”

“I don’t mean as a friend.” Mitchell looked him straight on. O’Neill dropped his head into his hands rubbing his grey hair.

“Mitchell, don’t go there.” O’Neill warned, his voice a low growl.

“Sam’s my friend too and I can guarantee she doesn’t look at me the way she looks at you. Maybe you should…you know…” Mitchell had found himself at a loss for words. Here he was offering a superior officer relationship advice.

“What? I should what?” Anger had crept into O’Neill’s voice.

“All I’m saying is, if I was trapped on this ship with a woman that liked me the way she likes you, you can bet I would have done something about it by now.” Mitchell looked O’Neill in the eye. He was taken aback to see that anger had been replaced with resignation.

O’Neill leaned closer to him, “How do you know I haven’t tried?”

The thought hadn’t occurred to him. Mitchell knew how Sam felt. She never admitted her feelings but as a close friend he knew. O'Neill and Sam spent many late nights in the common room talking long after the rest of them went to bed. O’Neill had even taught Carter how to use the potter’s wheel. He assumed with O’Neill being the stubborn, cranky old General, it was him who could not see a beautiful woman in love with him. Being a man of action, Mitchell knew how he was going to get a checkmate.

“Did I ever tell you, that Daniel told me that Sam was afraid of getting to close to you?” Mitchell asked.

The anger began to return, “You’ve been talking about us?”

“Oh, come on we’ve gotta talk about something around the drinking fountain. She’s afraid that if she let’s herself get to close it’ll mean she’s given up hope of finding a way out of here,” he explained slowly.

“Why are you telling me this?” asked O’Neill suspiciously.

“I thought you ought to know. I think I’m going cry ‘uncle’.” Mitchell rose from his chair.

“That’s it?” O’Neill asked holding both arms out.

“Yeah, I know when to quit,” he smiled and went to find Daniel and Vala.

As he left O’Neill muttered under his breath, “Me too.”

 

Every Thursday evening, after dinner, it had become their tradition to gather together to play some kind of game. Poker was a favorite but tonight it was Mitchell’s turn to choose. Daniel and Vala took one sofa as usual. Teal'c and O’Neill sat on the other. Mitchell and Carter each had a chair of their own.

“We’re trying something new here folks. Who here remembers Truth or Dare?” Mitchell raised his own hand. Tentatively Daniel and Carter half raised theirs. O’Neill scoffed and threw his head back. Vala looked at him wide eyed and thrilled. They had not played a new game in a while.

“I haven’t played that since I was thirteen,” moaned Carter.

“Ah…no complaining it’s my night to choose,” Mitchell reprimanded.

“What’s Truth or Dare?” Vala asked Daniel.

“Its a game where someone spins a bottle or something and whoever its pointing at gets to choose either truth or dare by the person who spun it. If they choose truth, the person who spun the bottle can ask them any question and they have to tell the truth. If they choose dare the person who spun can tell them to do something ridiculous like…sing I’m a little teapot. It’s usually played by human adolescents.” Daniel explained, “I emphasize the word adolescent.”

“Sounds like fun.” Vala said, clasping her hands in her lap and pulling her legs onto the sofa.

“Cam, I’m not going to cluck like a chicken or sing or dance,” said Carter.

“I can guarantee I’m not,” came O’Neill’s irritated voice.

“Fine. Then let’s just play truth,” suggested Mitchell.

“Wait, how do we know the persons not lying?” asked Vala. They all looked at her with mock disgust. She shrugged to Daniel.

“Let’s get this over with, Bart’s waiting,” grumbled O’Neill.

Mitchell brought out an empty beer bottle from the night before. He set it to spinning in the center of the coffee table. It stopped at Daniel.

“Daniel,” Mitchell smiled, “Do you really like Vala’s tuna casserole?”

Daniel’s eyes widened, his mouth pursed in irritation. Vala looked at Daniel with a smile, “That’s a silly question of course he does.”

Daniel looked at her and cringed.

“You don’t like my tuna casserole?” Her smile faded, “but you said…I made it for you on your birthday!” She slapped his shoulder.

“Sorry,” Daniel replied weakly. “Thanks Cam.”

“Frankly I didn’t want to sit through another tuna casserole,” Mitchell stated apologetically.

“Here, here,” added O’Neill quietly.

“Well, glad to know how you all feel. I’m not sure I like this game.” Vala sat back pouting.

“I believe it is your turn, Daniel Jackson,” said Teal’c.

The bottle stopped facing Carter. She sat up straighter, suddenly nervous. Daniel glanced at Mitchell, who gave him an affirmative nod. Daniel sat back thoughtfully before he proceeded.

“Sam, why did you break off your engagement with Pete?”

Carter sat stoically for a moment. She began to shift uncomfortably. She had not expected this, much less from Daniel. 

“Umm, he wasn’t… he wasn’t what I wanted.” She stammered, hoping that her elusive answer wouldn’t bring more scrutiny. She looked at Daniel and glanced at O’Neill, as neither seemed to question her answer, she spun the bottle herself. This time it landed on Vala.

“Vala, what did you really need the block of wood for?” Carter asked with a grin.

“Jack wanted it, but he didn’t want you to know.” Vala smiled. Her pride at her honesty lasted only long enough for her to realize she had outed O’Neill.

“Thanks Vala,” muttered O’Neill.

Carter smiled at him and opened her mouth to ask, but O’Neill wagged his finger no.

Vala spun. The bottle landed on O’Neill. Vala smiled mischievously and straightened herself.

“Before I ask the question, I want the whole truth, who, when, and how many times?” Vala stipulated.

O’Neill furrowed his brow. Something about her set up didn’t sound right. She couldn’t be this good at Truth or Dare having not played it before. They all perked up in interest.

Warily O’Neill responded, “ok.”

“Have you ever kissed anyone in this room?” she asked in all seriousness.

O’Neill stared at her without moving a muscle.

“Vala!” Carter’s dismayed voice rang out.

“It doesn’t have to be you Sam,” she cried defensively, “True you are the only other woman here and I’m quite certain that’s the General’s type, and I know he hasn’t kissed me, but for clarity’s sake,” Vala leaned in towards the General.

Carter blushed. O’Neill still stared at Vala.

“Yes, Carter, three times.”

Silence.

“Three?” exclaimed Mitchell.

“What?” a confused Carter added.

“I don’t think you answered the when,” pushed Daniel.

O’Neill continued to look at Vala, “When we brought this alien virus back from a planet we visited, in the locker room…actually she kissed me…”

“Oh, boy.” Sam muttered putting her face in her hands.

“When we returned through the quantum mirror…” he continued.

“That wasn’t me,” Sam added through her hands.

He cleared his throat and quietly added, “When Teal’c and I were stuck in the time loop.”

All of them looked at Sam. Her mouth hung open. O’Neill glanced her way adding a weak apologetic smile.

Mitchell cleared his throat, “Your turn General.”

O’Neill spun the bottle, it pointed towards Carter again.

“Oh, come on,” Carter cried.

He sat thinking for several moments before he asked his question.

“What is it that you wanted?” he asked softly. Teal’c, Daniel, Vala, and Mitchell simultaneously moved their heads from O’Neill to Carter.

Carter sat unmoving. She finally blinked and glanced around as if searching for something.

“I think I’m done now,” she said quietly. She got up from her chair and calmly walked out of the room. Without a word O’Neill followed her out.

“Carter, wait!” He caught her as she entered the elevator. He shoved his hand between the doors.

“Please sir leave me alone,” she pleaded, and he let the doors shut.

 

Six weeks later

 

They all sat gathered round the common room. Vala loved Christmas. As group activity leader she had once again decorated the common room. A small Christmas tree was covered with ornaments she had made herself. Each one represented a constellation on the stargate.

This Christmas in particular had taken on an importance to Vala. Since their little game of Truth or Dare both O’Neill and Carter had secluded themselves. The group ambush pushed them apart rather than the intended opposite direction. They didn’t golf together any more. They hardly spoke except at group meals. But now as they all sat together celebrating, the tension that hung between them for the last few weeks was gone. They were simply enjoying each other’s company. Of course presents and a few drinks helped.

“Time for presents!” Vala announced.

As each opened their presents there were gasps and groans.

Vala was gushing over a ring Daniel gave her. Mitchell moaned when he opened a third pair of running shoes. “Come on Sam!” Mitchell exclaimed, “You had to know. You converted them all.”

“Yeah, but you have to admit its funny,” she said with a grin. Even Teal’c laughed when he opened an Apophis shaped punching bag from O’Neill.

Sam picked up her last small present from O’Neill. She glanced up and found he was watching her with a slight smile. He nodded a ‘go ahead’. She opened the little box and pulled out a wood carved 1940 Indian motorcycle. She turned it over in her hands and inspected it. The detail was amazing. She smiled brightly at him and mouthed a ‘thank you’ across the room.

He motioned for her look in the box again.

She looked back in the box and found a note. Written in O’Neill’s distinct handwriting –

For the things we miss. Jack

She smiled and continued to look at the motorcycle. She felt guilty. She’d barely spoken to him for the last six weeks. After the dreadful game she had felt cornered and betrayed by all of them. But now as she held Jack’s gift, which she knew he had been working on for weeks, she felt bad for having removed herself from their friendship.

She looked back at him. He was engrossed in a small hand held game that she had given him. It was a flight simulator the Asgard used to train new pilots. She had given one to O’Neill, Teal’c, and Mitchell. His arms bounced right at left as he dodged targets. Sam decided the tension between them had to end.

Later that evening, after the presents were opened Sam made her way over to the refreshment table where O’Neill was pouring himself more punch. Everyone else was gathered on the sofas looking over their presents.

“Hey,” she smiled cautiously.

“Hey,” he replied his eyes focused on pouring punch.

“Thanks for the motorcycle. It must have taken you a long time,” she said awkwardly.

“Your welcome and time is one thing I have a lot of Carter.” He finished pouring his punch and turned around leaning back on the table. “Thank you for the game. Very nice.”

“Your welcome, sir.” She took a sip of her punch.

They stood watching Vala flip through pages of a book Teal’c had given her.

Sam cleared her throat, “I’m uh…sorry that I haven’t been very friendly lately. I’ve been a little childish.” She didn’t look at him but stared intently on her glass.

“It’s all right. I have missed your company,” he said looking down at her.

“I’ve missed you too sir.” She said sliding her hand over his and squeezing it.

Their exchange had not gone unnoticed by their four companions. They smiled quietly to each other as Vala slipped away to add more decoration to the festivities.

 

The evenings end found Jack and Sam on the sofa talking quietly. “In the control room?” she asked in a whisper.

He nodded, “Hammond was there.”

“What?” she giggled, “What did he do?”

“I’m not really sure…I was busy,.” he added.

She blushed and looked at his arm draped across the back of the sofa. “Did I kiss you back?” she asked hesitantly.

He raised his eyebrow, “What do you think?”

“Time for clean up!” announced Vala.

“Jack, Sam you’re on KP.”

“Oh, come on,” complained O’Neill.

“You’re the one who gave me command of all social events. Kitchen or I’ll have you court-maritaled.” O’Neill rose of the sofa, hands folded, “Sir,” Vala added weakly.

 The pair made their way to the kitchen and started at the sink full of dirty dishes. Before O’Neill could turn the water on Mitchell interrupted.

“Ahem.”

Carter and O’Neill both turned to look at him. He pointed up.

“Yes, my favorite Christmas tradition, trap the friends who need to kiss and make up,” said Vala settling in as if to watch a movie.

They both looked up and rolled their eyes at the mistletoe hung above the kitchen sink. Daniel and Teal’c were now added to their audience.

O’Neill chuckled to himself and reprimanded them all, “You really have nothing better to do?”

“Nope” replied Daniel.

O’Neill looked down at a blushing Sam. She looked up at him, uncertainty clouded her features. He figured the more they resisted the worse it would be for them both. He smiled at her, leaning down he kissed her cheek.

Vala clapped and Mitchell exclaimed, “That’s it! Pathetic.” Teal’c, Daniel, Vala, and Mitchell returned to their clean up duties none noticing that neither Jack nor Sam had moved.

Jack looked at Sam who hadn’t taken her eyes off him. She reached her hand up to his face and pulled him forward. She kissed him slowly on the lips, placing her other hand on his chest. He placed one hand on her waist and brought her closer. He moved his other hand to her face, deepening the kiss. They paused momentarily before he pulled her in again.

It took a few moments for anyone to notice. Finally Vala poked Daniel’s shoulder and pointed to the kitchen. Mitchell noticed the stunned look on Daniel’s face and he stopped.

Jack and Sam broke apart, coming up for air. Sam glanced at the four pair of eyes glued on them and whispered in Jack’s ear, “I think we have an audience.”

He looked and discovered them all staring. Sam buried her head in his chest.

Teal’c saved them, “I believe we should finish cleaning in the morning.” He put down the plates he had been carrying, picked up his box of presents and headed out the door. The others followed his example.

Jack and Sam stood at the kitchen sink.

“You sure know how to clear a room Carter,” Jack whispered, placing soft kisses on her neck.

“Only with your help sir,” she replied.

“Yeah, can you drop the sir?” He asked taking her hand and leading her to the sofa.

“I thought you’d never ask,” she replied with a smile.

“I hope this doesn’t mean you’ve given up?” he asked.

“Given up? Did Daniel…”

“Space monkey’s never been great at secrets.” He placed a kiss on her forehead.

“I haven’t given up. I’m just taking a risk.” She said.

They sat down together on the sofa. He lay back while she rested her head on his chest. They talked through the night. About all the things they’d never talked about and some things they always talked about and fell asleep.

 

Thirty years later

 

She wiped the tears from her eyes. He had been fading for several days now and the time was near. She held the hand that she knew so well.

He spoke. His voice so fragile she could hardly hear him. She had to lean in, nearly pressing her ear to his mouth.

“Love you,” he said.

She squeezed his hand, “I know. I love you too.”

“Wouldn’t change the last thirty years for anything,” he added. He raised his hand to her face.

“You’re close. Don’t give up,” he whispered and closed his eyes.

“Jack?” He didn’t respond. His breaths grew shallow. Tears poured down her face.

“Teal’c!” she cried.

He entered having been outside the doorway waiting. He came to her side and put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

 

Coming home

 

It was finally time. Carter was about to start the whole process that should take them home or, at the very least, end their lives quickly. Her heart ached to think it had taken fifty years. But if she was right he wouldn’t be dead. Wouldn’t have spent the last years of his life stuck in a tin can. She also grieved what might not be. They had been happy, as Daniel suggested they could be so long ago. She went to Teal’c to check one last time that he understood what he had to do.

“Teal’c everything clear. You won’t have much time,” she said.

He nodded, “You have prepared me well.”

“Good luck,” she turned to leave.

He gently grabbed her arm, “I can tell you when we get back.”

He had become her rock and confidante after Jack’s death. She would never risk the timeline for her own happiness. Teal’c knew that. She appreciated the gesture all the same.

“No. We’ll find our way again,” she replied.

The end