It's All Elementary by Iamdragonrider
Summary:

There’s a Goa’uld using a local elementary school as a front to harvest slaves from among the best and brightest.  SG-1 takes an unexpected approach in order to go undercover and neutralize the threat.

 *Note*  I am no longer posting this story at Helio and SG-1 Littleverse at the same rate as FF.net.  If you want the most current chapters, please look for this story under the same title and penname at FF.net.  I will post in groupings of chapters here and at Littleverse sometime behind the posting at FF.net.


Categories: Gen - Team Based Characters: Daniel Jackson, Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Tealc
Episode Related: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Holiday: None
Season: Season 7
Warnings: minor language, violence
Crossovers: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 34275 Read: 19554 Published: 2008.04.03 Updated: 2009.01.28
Story Notes:
Takes place after the events detailed in Growing Pains, but you do not need to read Growing Pains first, this story fully stands on it's own.

1. A New Mission by Iamdragonrider

2. A Short Mission by Iamdragonrider

3. A Little Complication by Iamdragonrider

4. New Perspectives by Iamdragonrider

5. Chapter 5: Little Adjustments by Iamdragonrider

6. Chapter 6: A Little Shopping by Iamdragonrider

7. Chapter 7: A GOOD Plan by Iamdragonrider

8. Chapter 8-10 by Iamdragonrider

A New Mission by Iamdragonrider

Summary:  There’s a Goa’uld using a local elementary school as a front to harvest slaves from among the best and brightest.  SG-1 takes an unexpected approach in order to go undercover and neutralize the threat.

Category:  General/Action/Adventure and of course, some humor, angst, H/C, and other good stuff…

Season:  Seven, minor spoilers for many episodes.  Takes place approx. 9 months after the events in Growing Pains, but I’m not calling it a Sequel, this story fully stands alone.

Rating:  PG-13

Warnings:  Minor language, possible violence

Disclaimer:  Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author.

A/N:  This story is an idea I’ve been kicking around since writing Growing Pains.  Anything you need to know will be explained in this story.  It is not necessary to read (or reread) GP before reading this story.  (Unless you want to.)  You only need to know that in GP, SG-1 found a machine that transformed 3/4ths of SG-1 into children, leaving them in the nominal care of Jack for approximately three months. 

A great big THANK YOU to Nyx Ro (The Continuity Geek from Hezmana) and Janissima, for their beta reading and numerous suggestions for improvement.  Thank you ladies! 

I hope that this story will have enough team relationship for all who read it.  I know I’ve tried for team in the past, but usually ended up focused on one character, but I feel like this story is different.  Additionally, both betas, one being a Sam fan with an S/J slant, and the other a Daniel fan with a love for S/D and Jack/Daniel friendship have both found things to enjoy and surprisingly, compliment on!  So here goes, I hope you enjoy it, and please take the time to click that little submit review box once in a while!   

It’s All Elementary by iamdragonrider

 
Chapter 1:  A New Mission 


“So, what do you think the General called us here for?” wondered Dr. Daniel Jackson.   The tall, light brown haired man didn’t turn away from where he stood, his arms crossed as he peered through the large window down into the gate room.  SG-3 was just departing, and General Hammond was no doubt in the control room seeing them off.

 

Colonel Jack O’Neill, his short, salt and pepper hair sticking up in places, flopped gracelessly into one of the large, padded leather chairs surrounding the polished wood table in the center of the briefing room.  His chair was sent spinning, and the man stopped the motion with practiced ease.  “Ten bucks says it’s a diplomatic mission.  First contact on some backwater place where the natives think the MALP is the ‘messenger of the gods.’”  The comment was made with a hint of sarcasm and Jack forming loose quote brackets with his fingers as he said the last few words.  A slight grimace betrayed his distaste for the sort of mission that was all too common for SG-1.

 

“I believe we will be asked to procure intelligence on a possible location for the lost Ancient city,” countered Teal’c with his usual confidence.  The large, dark man sat passively across the table from SG-1’s leader, his hands folded on the table.

 

Seated next to him, Major Samantha Carter shook her head and smiled briefly in encouragement.  “It’s got to be scientific.  We must have picked up something interesting on one of the recent planetary surveys.”  Her blue eyes sparkled with excitement.

 

Jack rolled his eyes, but replied, with a quirk of his mouth, “As long as it’s a space gun.”

 

Sam looked down at the table to hide her amused grin.  Teal’c directed a comment toward their companion still standing at the window.  The flash of warning lights reflected off the window and the younger man’s glasses as the stargate was dialed below.  “What is your theory on our next mission, Daniel Jackson?”

 

Daniel looked slightly amused, as he glanced back over his shoulder at his teammates.  Even though he’d started the debate, he’d seemed more engrossed in the departing team below than in the speculations he’d inspired.  He shrugged, turning back to watch the gate room, the watery reflections on the walls now telling the rest of SG-1 that the wormhole was open.  “Oh, you know I almost never win,” he demurred.

 

“Ah!” Jack scolded, “You started it,” he accused.  Daniel frowned, returning his attention to the rest of the team as the wormhole closed and the warning lights turned off.

 

“C’mon Daniel, you don’t do all that badly you know,” Sam informed him with a cajoling grin.  Teal’c inclined his head in agreement.

 

A small, answering smile graced the young man’s lips.  With a last look at the window, he wandered towards the table and uncrossed one hand to push up his glasses.  “Fine, Earth based mission, something covert,” he suggested, shoving hands in his pockets.

 

“Oooo, good one Daniel,” Jack looked like he wished he’d thought of it first.

 

“Dr. Jackson is indeed correct,” came the voice of General Hammond as he entered the room, the portly, balding gentleman carrying a stack of thick file folders.  He gave a wave of one hand to abort the rest of the team from rising as he set down the folders and took a seat.  Daniel hid his amused satisfaction in taking his own chair, pretending to ignore the groan from Jack while returning Sam’s look of graceful defeat and Teal’c’s nod. 

 

“Cheater,” Jack leaned towards the man and hissed as everyone settled.

 

Daniel looked affronted.  “Did not,” he protested, whispering back.  Sam ducked her head and Teal’c looked amused as Jack opened his mouth to respond. 

 

General Hammond intervened first.

 

“Ahem,” he coughed.  SG-1 collectively sat a little taller, giving the General their undivided attention.  “You are no doubt wondering why I’ve gathered you all here,” he asked them as a group, and they all nodded.  Their next mission wasn’t scheduled for two more days.  “I am canceling SG-1’s mission to P5X-475.”

 

Jack and Daniel straightened in surprise.  Teal’c cocked his head.  “Sir?” Sam questioned, her forehead slightly wrinkled.

 

The General continued like he hadn’t noticed, instead, drumming fingers on the folders he had yet to hand out.  “In fact, I’m taking SG-1 out of the off-world rotation as of this moment.”

 

Sam gasped, the sound echoed by Daniel.  Even Teal’c’ looked startled.  “General?” Jack asked, a deep frown marring his features.  “Did we do something, or am I just not getting my memos?”

 

At that, Hammond looked up and raised his hands in a placating gesture.  “No, Colonel, nothing like that.”  He looked back at the stack of folders, then picked them up and passed them out.  “I have another mission for SG-1.  As some of you have already guessed, it’s a little closer to home.”

 

“That’s more like it,” Jack grinned, as he took his own folder, moving to open it.  The rest started to do the same.

 

“Before you open those,” Hammond interrupted them, pausing until he had their eyes again, “I need to tell you a few things.”  He looked around the table, exchanging looks with each member of his premier team.  “There are certain parts of this mission that will be strictly voluntary.”

 

“Voluntary, sir?” Jack asked.  “What sort of mission is this?”

 

In reply, Hammond picked up a remote, dimming the lights and bringing up a logo on the screen.  “Are any of you familiar with Providence Day School?”

 

“Isn’t that the school whose founders have established new teaching methods that stress independent study and individual attention?“ Daniel supplied, studying the logo on the screen.

 

“For a price,” muttered Sam.  She’d heard of the school too.  They were private, and while the price for the yearly tuition wasn’t astronomical, it did limit the population attending to some extent, especially if they intended to send their child there for the full thirteen years of schooling offered there.

 

“So what,” wondered Jack, “they really building up an army or something?”  Teal’c turned to watch the General.

 

Hammond couldn’t hide the brief twitch of his lips.  “Not quite Colonel.”  He pressed another button on the remote.  The picture changed, this time showing a body in a morgue.

 

A soft gasp, and the soft shuffling of clothing could be heard, as SG-1 shifted in surprise.  Not at the body on the screen, no, none of them were strangers to death.  They were surprised at the cause of death.

 

Teal’c recovered his voice first.  “This man has been killed by a staff weapon.” 

 

“Who was he?” Daniel asked, brows creased as if he could discern the man’s name just by studying the picture.

 

“Joseph Collins.  He was an instructor at Providence Day School.  At least until last week.  His body was found in a nearby park.  A couple, out for a late night stroll, went to investigate strange noises.  When they came upon the scene, they saw two men fleeing, one of them carrying a large stick or staff.”  He turned off the screen bringing up the lights again, and SG-1 swiveled to face him.  “Our contact with the local authorities picked up on the case.  The President and Joint Chiefs have ordered the SGC, particularly SG-1 to investigate” Hammond looked down at the table, tapping his fingers thoughtfully, before he looked back up at them.  “And that’s not all, people.  Mr. Collins is not the first person to disappear from that school.  Since they opened their doors in 1991, eight teachers and twenty-four students have disappeared.”  He inclined his head towards them, signaling that the discussion was now open.

 

“What?!” demanded Jack in outrage, “Kids getting murdered? Why hasn’t this place been shut down before now?”

 

Daniel held up a hand. “Whoa, wait, Jack,” he shook his head.  “General Hammond said they disappeared, not that they were murdered.”  He looked up at the General.  “I assume that few, if any, of these cases were deemed ‘suspicious’?”

 

“Yes, Dr. Jackson.  In fact, twelve of the twenty-four children were declared as runaways.  Four were ruled as suicide.  The rest were suspected having been taken by estranged parents, most of those also missing.  The same is more or less true for the missing staff.  Few bodies, and no evidence of foul play in any of the cases.  Most of the time there were notes or other explanations.  Our contact only discovered most of the cases when he began to search the missing persons lists, and recognized a connection with the school.”

 

Jack lifted a hand and formed his fingers into a gun, sighting it along the table.  He mimed firing.  “Three shots with a Zat, no bodies, no evidence,” he grumbled, his features set in a hard mask. 

 

Teal’c nodded in agreement, and then added, “Many may have been taken aboard a ship or removed in another fashion.”

 

“What exactly are we looking for, General?” asked Sam, tapping her pen on her note pad.

 

Beating the General to a reply, Jack answered her.  “Where Jaffa are Carter, their God is not far behind.”

 

Sam dipped her chin, conceding the point.  She turned back to face the General.  “Any idea who we are trying to find, sir?”

 

The General shook his head in regret.  “No, Major,” Hammond admitted, “But, we haven’t had very long to investigate, this Goa’uld, whoever he is, has been very secretive.”

 

“Seshat,” blurted Daniel suddenly, staring at the blank screen where the images had been displayed.  He waved a hand slightly, not turning around.  “General, can you put the logo back up?” he requested.  General Hammond complied.  Even though he didn’t lower the lights, the seven-point star on top of what might have been a staff showing on the screen with a crescent moon covering it like an umbrella was clear to all.

 

“Daniel?” asked Jack.  All eyes turned to the young archeologist.

 

Daniel just motioned towards the screen.  “That’s her, that’s her symbol.  I’m sure of it.  Even with allowances for variations over the centuries, it’s too similar to be coincidence.  Besides, it all fits; Seshat was considered the Goddess of writing, mathematics, architecture…  She was also said to be the wife and daughter of Thoth, God of Wisdom.  Having her behind a school just makes sense.”

 

“Wife and daughter?  Now that’s creepy.”  Jack shook his head, and continued.  “Well, now we have the man, er, woman, we just need the plan,” Jack stated dryly.  He turned in his chair, and gave Hammond a significant look.  “General?” he invited leadingly.

 

His lips upturned briefly in a tight smile, Hammond nodded.  “SG-1 will be going in under cover at Providence Day School.  In the folders, you will find details about your cover story.  Now this is the voluntary part.”  Again, the General waited until he had their undivided attention.  “Do you remember P35-437?” he asked.

 

Jack looked surprised.  “How could we forget sir?”  That was the planet was where all of SG-1 except Jack had been turned into children.

 

“What’s P35-437 got to do with us going under cover here on Earth?” Daniel asked, puzzled.

 

“We would like to use the device you found there to give one of you the appearance of a child.” He gave them a moment to let the idea sink in.  “Children are universally ignored as unimportant by adults, the perfect cover.  No one will suspect it.  Children are also what this Goa’uld is after.”

 

Rubbing his forehead, Jack looked thoughtful.  “Bait and tackle,” he mused quietly.  He shared a considering look with Teal’c across the table.

 

“Sir?  Didn’t that machine take away our memories as well?” Sam asked, turning to the General.

 

Hammond nodded.  “The science teams have studied the data you brought back on the device, and they feel they have unlocked the secrets to successfully control it.  According to our team, the device was built to revert the user to the age requested, either with or without memory blocks, and later restore them back to their proper age.  They are confident they can replicate the device’s intended purpose.”

 

Sam blinked, moving her head in disbelief.  “Why, that’s amazing.  I mean the practical and scientific applications of such a device…”

 

Waving his hand, Jack interrupted.  “While I’m sure all that is wonderful, that’s not why you brought it up General.”  He paused, and took a deep breath.  “I’ll do it.”

 

“Jack!” Daniel protested.

 

Hammond made a calming motion.  “That may not be necessary, Colonel.  We, that is the Joint Chiefs and I, have someone else in mind.  Major Carter.”  Jack looked ready to protest, Teal’c sat up straight, his gaze speculative.  Sam, after a brief look of surprise at the general, stared down at the unopened folder, clearly thinking hard.

 

“Why Sam?” demanded Daniel before Jack could talk.  “Um, no offense Sam,” he amended hastily.

 

Pressing his fingertips together in front of him to form a loose point, Hammond looked around the table. “Major Carter has one thing you don’t Colonel, and that’s her ability to detect the presence of a Goa’uld symbiote.  While Teal’c can do the same, he is also less familiar with Earth culture, especially the expectations of childhood, making Major Carter, in our minds, the best choice,” he told them.

 

“If I remember correctly, they can also sense her,” Jack pointed out, frowning at the one obvious flaw.

 

“Not anymore, sir,” Sam spoke up.  At Jack’s surprised look, she looked at Hammond, and the older man nodded his permission.  Turning to face Jack in her chair, Sam explained.  “Janet and I have been working on a compound that when injected, binds with the naquadah in my blood, making me undetectable, but I’m still able to sense when there is another symbiote around.  Well at least it’s worked so far with Teal’c,” she granted.

 

“But, uh, Teal’c doesn’t have a symbiote,” Daniel brought up.

 

Sam winced, “We can still sense each other when we are near,” she said, fiddling with her pen.  “We’ve been able to experiment with at least those sensations.  Practical tests are a little hard to plan out after all.  It also wears off in a few days, the injections have to be taken regularly,” she admitted.

 

“Sounds risky to me,” Jack grunted, shuffling his papers around.

 

She straightened, looking him in the eye, suddenly coming to a decision.  “I’m willing to take that risk.”

 

“Well what if I’m not?” challenged Jack, setting his pad down harder than he’d intended.

 

General Hammond intervened.  “I’m afraid that I and the Joint Chiefs agree with Major Carter.  Her ability to sense the presence of a blended Goa’uld, and identify his, or her, Jaffa, is too valuable to waste.  It will allow our strike force to take her out with pinpoint accuracy.  This is a school we are talking about people, and I want minimal collateral damage.  I do not need to remind you that even one civilian’s death, especially a child’s, is one too many.  We need to find this Seshat, whoever she is, and remove her as quickly as possible.  Do I make myself clear?”

 

At the reminder of children, Jack subsided.  The team flipped open folders, as if to hide discomfort.

 

The only one not opening his folder was Daniel, and he raised a hand tentatively before speaking up.  “Um, I understand about the naquadah thing, but wouldn’t it be better to keep Sam as an adult, where she could better protect herself, General, sir?” he questioned.

 

“That is a very good point Dr. Jackson.  I can only re-iterate that we think disguising Major Carter as a child will be the perfect cover for her.  No one will suspect a child, and we think that lack of suspicion will further work to protect her from detection.  Additionally, no one except myself, Dr. Lee’s team, and you all know that the device on P35-437 is now fully operational and most especially that it can restore a person with their memories intact.”  He looked around the table, briefly locking gazes with each of them, before he continued.

 

“I will also stress that Major Carter will not be going in alone.  Through our contact with the local authorities, we’ve located someone on the inside willing to help us.  They have made it possible for the rest of you to enter the school under assumed roles and identities.  We have taken the available openings and given each of you cover stories.”  Hammond faced Daniel directly.  “You, Dr. Jackson, will be taking over for early French immersion studies.  This will give you contact with students as well as staff.” 

 

“You want me to teach?” Daniel asked in surprise, looking somewhat taken aback.

 

“I have full confidence in your abilities, Dr. Jackson.  You will be following the schools pre-approved lesson plans and curriculum.  You’ll be acting as a resource teacher, so you won’t be responsible for your own class.  I’m sure you’ll do fine,” Hammond assured the man.

 

After receiving a hesitant and preoccupied nod from Daniel, the General’s gaze moved down the table.  “Teal’c, you will be the school’s new janitor.  Your position will give you the ability to move freely about the building and it’s grounds at any time of day.”  Teal’c nodded, pleased with the solution.

 

“And you, Colonel,” Hammond started, looking to the last member of SG-1 to be assigned a cover.

 

“Ah, General, couldn’t I be like the new gym teacher or something?” Jack interrupted, tracing designs on the open folder in front of him.

 

The General shook his head.  “You know Major Carter will need a guardian, Colonel, if she’s to be believable.”

 

“Not to mention if we want to avoid the authorities,” Daniel suggested, as he suddenly realized one of the major drawbacks of the plan, hiding amusement at Jack’s discomfort in the solution.

 

“Indeed,” agreed Teal’c.

 

“Yes, but me?” evaded Jack.  “You know I look no where near old enough to be Carter’s dad.  What about you General? You look old en… eh I mean not that you look old, I mean, well you do….  Well, of course, she’ll look much younger than she does now… eh, not that she looks old….” Jack winced as he kept digging himself deeper, pinching the bridge of his nose as he trailed off under the General’s keen, knowing look.  “What about Uncle?” he tried.  “I could do Uncle.  Maybe.”

 

Looking up from her intense study of the contents of her folder, Sam neatly changed the subject.  From her face it was clear she’d been paying only partial attention since the General’s announcement.  “Exactly how old were you planning to make me, sir?”  She flinched slightly, as if only just realizing the meaning of her words.

 

“Dr. Lee assures me that he and his team can revert your age to around age eleven or twelve,” he told her, honestly, meeting her gaze.  “Any older than that, and we think it will be harder for you to remain in positions where you can overhear conversations.”

 

“Around?” picked up Jack instantly.

 

Hammond’s eyes darted back to Jack.  “He’s quite sure, Colonel.”

 

Jack narrowed his eyes.  “How sure?”

 

“I’m sure Dr. Lee can provide you with the exact figures, Colonel,” Hammond told him in a way that signaled debate on the subject was finished.  “Are there any further questions?”  He looked around the table.  “You have until next week to learn your new identities and cover stories.  Tomorrow, you will head to P35-437. Dismissed.”

 

As the team stood to go, Hammond laid a hand on Sam’s arm.  “Major,” he said, searching her face, “if you change your mind and decide not to go through with this…”

 

“I won’t,” she broke in, lifting her chin in determination under his piercing look.

 

Hammond squeezed her arm, a soft smile breaking across his features.  “I know, but it needed to be said Sam.”

 

“Thank you, sir,” she told him, gazing warmly into his face.  He let go, and Sam gathered her things and followed the rest of her team out of the briefing room.

A Short Mission by Iamdragonrider
Chapter 2:  A Short Mission 

The day so far on P35-437 had greeted them with mild temperatures, blue skies, and a gentle breeze.  Despite the extra numbers from the science and medical teams joining them, SG-1 made excellent time up the hillside to the large temple-like building that housed the device that had been the cause for several memorable months, at least on Jack’s part.  The rest of SG-1 had yet to recall any more than fragments and dreams of the months they had spent after being turned back into children.

 

As glad as he was to have everything back to normal, Jack couldn’t help but admit to himself, and only himself, that those few months had been some of the happiest of his life.  He counted himself lucky to have experienced them.

 

All the same, he approached the temple with a certain amount of trepidation.  “Are you sure that thing is off?” he asked warily, before he and Teal’c stepped foot inside the building for a quick sweep.

 

Carter, so much more at ease than Dr. Lee with going off world, had a scanner powered up before Lee even managed to pull his eyes away from the scenery.  “It’s dormant, sir, energy levels are minimal,” she announced.

 

“Minimal?  So it’s not off?” he asked, still waiting to give Teal’c the all clear to go ahead and enter the building.

 

“I don’t think it ever fully powers down, sir.  My guess is it enters some sort of stand-by mode,” she looked up, and must of noted his concern because she hastily added, “It’s perfectly safe, sir.  From our experiences, and Dr. Lee’s report, the device only becomes active when the right command is entered.”

 

Jack frowned, suddenly reminded of just how the device had become active last time.  Preoccupied with his introspection, Jack almost missed something else the woman had said.  “Carter,” he said, a hint of exasperation creeping into his tone, “Tell me you didn’t spend all night up with that report?”

 

Her guilty start told him all he needed to know.  Further, her quick glance at Daniel and Dr. Lee told him she’d likely not been alone.  He should have known better than to have left base last night.  He sighed, and motioned for Teal’c to go in first.  Teal’c soon signaled that the room was clear.  Jack gave the room his own quick once over, barely suppressing a shudder of what the place recalled, then gave the all clear for the scientists to come in.

 

The room soon bustled as Dr. Lee’s team set up the equipment they’d brought, and technical discussions flew across the room and over the radio to the people setting up outside near what had been dubbed the “control room.”  Carter was in her element, her eyes bright, and posture alert.  She flitted from computer to monitor with an ease that was almost frightening.  Across the room, Teal’c stood watch, able to keep one eye on the scientists and the other out the nearby window, alert to any possible threat that might approach from a distance.  Jack was starting to feel a little useless, and kept getting in someone’s way not matter where he stood.  Spotting a possible ally, Jack gravitated around the outskirts of the room, careful not to trip on any wires or knock anything over that looked expensive.

 

“Daniel,” he greeted, having reached the man.  The archeologist stood in the corner, out of the way, his hands in his pockets.  His jacket and vest hung open while he studied the scientists bustling around the room.

 

Turning to peer at his friend, Daniel narrowed his eyes slightly, then turned back to watch the activity.  “Jack,” he returned, and then added after a short pause, “Feeling redundant, aren’t you?”

 

Jack sighed.  He’d hoped he wasn’t being that obvious, but of course the younger man would have seen right through him.  “Might be better if I stay out of the way, you know me and anything fragile,” he said, waving in the direction of something mounted on a tripod with cables running to a laptop.  It looked both complicated and costly.

 

Daniel snorted, one corner of his mouth twitching, but didn’t say anything.

 

The two men watched side by side silently for several minutes.  Finally, Jack had to voice the thing that if he were honest with himself, had brought him over here.  “You think they…” he paused, wetting his lips, then tried again.  “You think Dr. Lee knows what he’s doing?”  Well, it wasn’t exactly what he’d meant to say, but then again, if it had been Carter’s report he’d have no doubt that the machine would do exactly what she said it would.  Dr. Lee though…  He looked down, fiddling with the strap holding his P-90 to his vest.  When he looked up, he found Daniel studying him, his blue eyes seeming to look deep into his soul.

 

“He’s a good man Jack,” Daniel told him.  “Besides, Sam is here, isn’t she?” he pointed out. 

 

It didn’t quite silence all his demons, but Jack knew the other man was right.  Carter at least trusted Dr. Lee enough to accept the mission.  Of course, Jack knew there were also greater things at stake, no doubt influencing her decision, but still…

 

“I know,” he answered.

 

Daniel nodded, extracting one hand to point across them room.  “I’m gonna go check on Teal’c.  Meet you outside?  They’ll be starting soon I think,” he noted, taking in the decreased activity in the room.

 

Jack nodded, and waved a hand as if to indicate dismissal.  Daniel walked away, but Jack was busy watching a certain blond astrophysicist.  The woman in question currently had her head together with Dr. Lee, and looked as if she was just there to observe something fascinating, not about to have twenty-five years, give or take, taken off her appearance.  He shook his head, wondering not for the first time how he’d let them all get talked into this thing, but even as he thought it, his mind supplied the answer. 

 

Because they were SG-1.

 

Daniel’s observation soon proved out, and before long, SG-1 were the only ones left inside.  Jack watched as Teal’c and Daniel approached Carter.  Teal’c said something that caused her to smile and duck her head, and Daniel added a comment that made her laugh outright and punch him lightly on the arm.  The young man held up his arms in front of him as if warding off a blow, only stopping when a smile bloomed across Carter’s face.  Jack gave them a few more moments, and then wandered over to join them, his thoughts still heavy with the weight of responsibility.

 

“We ready?” he asked, not being able to say what he really wanted to say.

 

“Yes, sir,” Carter told him, instantly all professional, but then a sidelong glance at Daniel made her snort, which she unbelievably turned into a cough.

 

Jack chose to ignore it; glad at least that the rest of the team was able to act so freely, but that was the choice he’d made, the burden he’d chosen to bear alone.  “We shall wait for you outside, O’Neill,” Teal’c said as if sensing Jack’s mood, turning to go.  Daniel followed after giving Sam an encouraging look.

 

“You ok to do this, Carter?” he asked softly when they were alone, watching her for some sign, any sign, that she wanted to scrub the mission, that she wasn’t one hundred percent on board.

 

“I’m ready, sir,” she told him confidently, her posture straightening somewhat under his searching look.  Her jaw was set, hands holding her weapon with a sure grip, and Jack was struck for a moment at how far this woman had come in the years he’d known her.  Hew determined she was, how confident. 

 

How brave.

 

He hesitated, torn between his confidence in the Major, and his lack of it for the mission in general.  The whole idea of making her look like a kid to get her close to some Goa’uld with an unknown objective still seemed a little half-cocked in his mind.  Even so, on some deeper level, he agreed with General Hammond’s assessment of the situation.   He still didn’t have to like it.

 

Nodding in acknowledgement he jerked a thumb in the direction of the door, wavering slightly and needing to say something.  “I’ll, uh, be outside,” he told her finally, oddly at a loss for his usual words of wit and convoluted wisdom.  “You should probably get comfortable,” He patted his own automatic, and saw her nod in return.

 

“Yes, sir, thank you,” she told him, understanding of the things he’d left unsaid clear on her face.  Some of the weight left his shoulders.  He nodded and headed toward the exit, stopping in the doorway when something behind him made him halt and turn back around.

 

She had settled on the floor, cross-legged, trying to follow his advice while she waited.   Her weapon sat next to her, within easy reach, ever the good soldier.  With one hand, she rubbed at the back of her neck, trying to ease some tightness she felt there.

 

 “You ok?” he asked in concern.

 

Sam blinked, looking up at him in mild surprise, but then shrugged slightly and smiled ruefully.  “Fine sir, just a little stiff, didn’t sleep well last night,” she admitted a little sheepishly. 

 

“Too busy studying those reports?” he asked lightly, unable to resist.

 

She stopped rubbing and shook her head, smiling unrepentantly.  Then she sighed and ran her hand through her hair.  She folded her hands in her lap and stared down at them, obviously not wanting to show how nervous she really was.  Her posture was no less determined, and Jack knew it was a measure of her trust in his leadership that she allowed him to see even this slight weakness.

 

The Colonel remained where he stood, studying her thoughtfully, thinking of what to say that might help ease the pressure they were both feeling in their own ways.  Finally, his inner demons seemed to come to some sort of agreement, or perhaps the Major’s confidence was rubbing off on him with the reminder that she was still human, like him.  He grinned, and bounced slightly, the realization filling him with a new lightness.  “Don’t worry Carter, when you wake up, you’ll feel like a kid again.”

 

His joke, however bad, had the desired effect.  With a soft laugh, Sam smiled up at her CO.  “Thank you, sir,” she told him honestly, some of the tension lines around her eyes and mouth softening.  As she relaxed, so did he.

 

He shrugged, feeling justly satisfied.  “Don’t mention it.”  He sobered slightly again.  “I’ll be right outside.  We all will.”

 

“I know,” she replied softly, meeting his gaze.  Jack nodded, and stepped out of the room, reluctantly leaving the woman alone.

 

Outside, he quickly joined the rest of his team, who were standing with Janet Fraiser.  Dr. Lee approached them.

 

“Colonel O’Neill,” he said, looking just a little too excited considering what was about to happen, “With your permission, we’re ready to begin.”

 

Jack exchanged looks with Teal’c, Daniel, and Janet.  All three offered nods.  The heavy weight of responsibility settled back on his shoulders.  Yes, the General had chosen Major Carter.  Yes, she had agreed to the mission in all its details, and he was sure now that she had no second thoughts.  Yes, they had their orders.  But when it all boiled down to it, he was the man on site.  The final decision rested solely with him.  Whatever happened, whatever the outcome, the results would happen because of his orders.  But suddenly, Jack realized he wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

SG-1 was his.

 

They were his life, his purpose.  He belonged to SG-1 in a way he’d never belonged to anything before, and because of that, SG-1 belonged to him.  Perhaps, one day, maybe soon, SG-1 and the heavy weight of responsibility he carried for them would belong to someone else, but for now, they were his.

 

Accepting the duty was like wrapping himself in an old familiar blanket.  He was used to his function on this team, acknowledged it always, hated it sometimes, and most of all, never failed to treasure it.  He straightened, self-assurance for the moment banishing everything else.  “Do it,” he told the man, with a jerk of his head towards the controls.

 

Dr. Lee bobbed his head a few times, and looked like he wanted to say something, then wisely chose not to.  He scurried off to take his position with his science team.

 

“On my count,” Jack heard the man say as he turned around to face the building, tuning out the almost palpable feelings of excitement around him.  He felt Daniel and Teal’c join him to one side, both men equally intent on the structure where their teammate waited. 

 

“Three…two…one…mark.”

 

Barely discernable at first, then building in intensity, Jack felt a faint vibration from the ground through his boots.  In front of them, the windows and doorways of the temple seemed to glow.

 

“Wow,” breathed Daniel in wonder.  Jack nodded in agreement and then the moment was abruptly shattered by a shrill scream, made even more poignant by the fact that the woman doing the screaming was trying unsuccessfully to suppress the sound.

 

Almost as soon as it started though, the scream was abruptly cut off.  It took all of Jack’s willpower to not to go charging up the hill.  Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Teal’c lay a restraining hand on Daniel’s arm.  The younger man was pale, jaw clenched.  Even Teal’c stood stiffly, every muscle tense and alert.

 

It seemed like forever before Dr. Lee gave them the all clear.  The three men wasted no time in speeding towards the temple.  As they got closer, all three men could smell something burning.  Unexpected tendrils of smoke drifted out of the doorway.  Jack was the first one through the door, just barely.  He could hardly make out anything because the room was already clogged with thick black smoke.  To the right, something electrical gave off a sharp fizzle and several pops.  Jack reflexively shielded his face with his arms.

 

“We need to get Carter out of here!” he cried, waving a hand in front of his face in a vain effort to clear the air in front of him.  With the other, he pulled his shirt up over his face, bending low.  Teal’c was already moving toward the center of the room, also crouched low.  Jack grabbed Daniel’s arm.  “Daniel,” he ordered, coughing, “Keep everyone else out of here, we’ll be right behind you.”  If Daniel nodded, Jack couldn’t see it in the gloom, instead trusting the other man would follow his command.  He turned on the light from his P-90 to give Teal’c something to catch his bearings, the light giving off a thin beam highlighting the smoke swirling in front of him.  It was becoming increasingly difficult to draw breath, and he considered going in after the warrior, but decided he should wait in the doorway in case the thickening smoke caused Teal’c to get turned around.  Fortunately, the large man didn’t seem to be having any trouble navigating though, and Jack was able to make out his bulky shape heading back across the room after only a few moments of waiting.

 

“Teal’c” he cried, feeling relief wash over him as he saw the man was carrying something, something small and unmoving.  “This way!” he directed, grabbing the man’s arm.

 

Outside, the sun shined down on them with blinding intensity.  “Over here,” Dr. Fraiser directed, the petite redhead already having laid down a folding stretcher.  Despite having traded her usual neat uniform and pristine lab coat for BDUs, Janet Fraiser was no less commanding than normal.  Teal’c obeyed, kneeling swiftly to gently lay down his burden.  Jack dropped to his own knees not far from Teal’c, as Janet quickly made an assessment, bending over her patient.  “She’s breathing!” she announced, and started to remove some of the Major’s outer clothing.

 

Jack felt relief wash over him, and he gave into the coughing fit he’d been holding in.  Finally spent, Jack drank from his canteen, letting some of the water trickle onto his hands so he could scrub at his face, when a gasp from Daniel brought him looking up sharply.  He froze in dismay, the heaviness of responsibility slamming back into him with all the force of an unpulled gut punch.

 

As the layers of too large clothing were removed, their occupant was revealed.  The body cocooned in the now huge garments was small.  Too small.

 

“Oh.  My.  God,” Daniel whispered.  Teal’c was standing, looking down in appalled fascination at his suddenly reduced teammate.

 

“She doesn’t look twelve, does she?” Jack asked unnecessarily, his voice more gruff than usual from hoarseness.

 

Daniel shook his head, eyes fixed on Carter.  “No,” he said.

 

“She does not,” agreed Teal’c.

 “That’s what I was afraid of,” groaned Jack.
End Notes:
A/N:  The first evil cliffie!  I have to do something to get many of you folks to respond after all, even if it’s just to tell me how evil I am!
A Little Complication by Iamdragonrider
Chapter 3:  A Little Complication 

The three men of SG-1 stared at their female teammate in shock.  Jack knew they had all expected to feel surprise, maybe even awe at the transformation she would undergo, but they hadn’t been prepared for what they now saw.  The little girl that Janet and her medics fussed over didn’t look a day over six and that was a stretch.

 

Dr. Lee bustled up.  “Colonel, I can explain, you see…”

 

The dumpy man’s words cut off as suddenly all the emotions raging through Jack’s mind found a focus.  Grabbing the front of the shorter man’s jacket, he pulled him up so that their faces were mere inches apart.  “Tell me what?” he bit out, “How you screwed up?”

 

“Jack!” he heard Daniel cry in shock, but ignored it in favor of glaring into the scientist’s eyes.

 

“Uh well, um, you see...” Dr. Lee stammered helplessly, “Ah, our preliminary results show that actually sir, it um, well you see, err…” Jack tightened his grip, and the man squeaked out the last.  “The program executed according to plan!”

 

Jack started in surprise at the answer.  “Put him down, Jack, c’mon,” encouraged Daniel taking advantage of the lull, “You don’t want to do this.”

 

At that, Jack blinked as if coming out of a trance, and then hastily thrust the doctor away from him.  He flung out an arm and pointed.  “That,” he said with some emphasis, “was not in the plan!”

 

Dr. Lee turned instinctively to follow Jack’s arm and winced.  Janet and her two medics still knelt over the woman turned little girl, but had given up any pretense of disinterest and were watching the unfolding drama.   Sam still lay as if merely sleeping.  Her cheeks were slightly flushed, hair tussled, and one small arm was flung out, tiny hand half curled.  Jack was seized by an instant fear.  What if Dr. Lee had miscalculated on more than just age?  As if sensing his thoughts turning again, Daniel stepped in front of him, neatly placing himself between Jack and the scientist.  Teal’c also took a step closer, but at the younger man’s look of reproach, Jack felt all his anger draining out of him, as quickly as it had come.

 

He sighed.  “Sorry Doc,” he apologized, scrubbing his hand through his hair.  “What happened?  Why is she so small?” he asked, looking around Daniel to see the scientist.  Recognizing the danger past, Daniel moved out of the way.  For his part, Dr. Lee still looked slightly terrified as he ran a nervous hand over his smooth forehead, fingers dancing over his receding hairline.  Janet and her team went back to what they were doing, and some of the tension bled out of Teal’c’s stance.

 

“I-I don’t know for sure Colonel,” Lee admitted hesitantly, he took a step back as Jack moved, but Jack was only pacing now.

 

“Take a best guess,” he suggested, trying to be patient with the other man.  Unlike Carter, this scientist had never learned to come to a direct point when the situation called for it.

 

Dr. Lee blinked, then frowned.  “Well, I uh, that is to say… there was definitely a power surge,” he reported hesitantly, “It, em, shorted out most of our equipment and started the electrical fire.”  He paused, adjusting his glasses.  “We lost a good bit of data, but I might still, uh be able to salvage something.” He trailed off as a far-away look entered his eyes. 

 

“Power surge?” Jack asked, recognizing the look and trying to keep the man on track.  “What caused it?  And what about the fire?  Did the machine come to any harm?”

 

The redirect worked.  The other man was pulled back to the here and now.  Growing more confident when he wasn’t being threatened, Bill shook his head.  “I don’t know yet, but I mean to find out.  I do know that the program was executed exactly like we’d intended.”

 

“So you think Sam will still have her memories?” spoke Daniel, pouncing on the one small hope.

 

The scientist’s short-lived confidence petered out.  “I, uh, well, I think so,” he said, taking a big step back away from the rest of SG-1 as the men stared at him in disbelief.

 

“You think so,” Jack asked slowly, as if testing out the words.

 

“We’ll soon find out,” Janet interrupted briskly.  “She’s coming round,” she reported.

 

All other concerns aside, everyone crowded around the small figure on the ground.  As if sensing their scrutiny, Sam groaned, her face scrunching up as she moved restlessly.

 

“Sam, can you wake up for me honey?” Janet encouraged, concern for her friend slipping in under her professional calm.  At the doctor’s words, Sam cracked first one eye, and then the other open, blinking rapidly in the bright sun.  She took in all the faces above her, brow still creased.

 

“Hey, Carter,” Jack greeted.  Daniel and Teal’c added their own greetings.

 

“Wha?” she whispered a little hoarsely, almost disguising the rather higher pitch her voice now had.

 

“Can you tell me where you are Sam?” Janet asked, getting right down to the question on all their minds. 

 

Sam blinked again, squinting as if confused, and for a moment, Jack’s heart stopped beating.  In the next, it started right back up as if nothing had been amiss.  “P35-437,” she answered confidently, swallowing and frowning.  “Did it work?”  Before anyone could answer, she was holding up a hand in front of her face, opening and closing her fingers in fascination.  Yep, that was Carter all right.  Beside him, Daniel was grinning, and Teal’c looked both relieved and amused.  Even Janet was smiling.

 

Looking at her though, Jack sobered.  “Uh, Carter,” he hemmed, hating to break the bad news.

 

Tearing her eyes from the wonder before her, she locked onto his face.  “Sir?” she asked, forehead slightly furrowed.

 

Jack flinched, wondering how to put it.  “There was a, uh, little glitch,” he said, and winced at his choice of words.

 

Struggling to sit up, Sam was oblivious to her t-shirt sliding and baring one shoulder.  “Oh no,” she said, as she realized things felt wrong from what she had expected.

 

“Oh yes,” Jack replied, and Sam swung a desperate look to Daniel.

 

With a grimace, Daniel answered the unspoken question.  “Sorry Sam, you’re a little, um, well, smaller than we’d intended,” he said helplessly.

 

“How old do I look?” she asked, hands going to her face in dismay.

 

The three men exchanged glances over her head.  “Five maybe.  Six?” offered Daniel tentatively.  He made a face.

 

“I’d say not much over five,” Janet stated definitively.

 

Sam groaned, burying her face in her hands.  “The mission!” she exclaimed, lifting up her head to look at them.  “It’s ruined, I’ll never pass for twelve like this!”

 

Jack searched for something to say, when Teal’c spoke up.  “Did Providence Day School not have a class for children of this age?” he asked.

 

“A kindergarten?” Daniel supplied and Teal’c nodded.

 

“What?  You think I can still complete the mission like…like this?” Sam asked, unable to hide the disbelief in her tone.

 

“Are you not still Major Carter, despite your appearance?” Teal’c suggested pointedly.

 

“Teal’c is right, Sam.  Tell her, Jack,” said Daniel immediately.

 

Thinking about it, Jack realized the two men were correct.  “I don’t see why not, Carter.”

 

“But…” she trailed off, unable to find an effective argument to her teammates’ certainty.

 

“We’ll be right there with you Carter, every step of the way,” Jack reminded her.

 

“As fascinating as all this is,” Janet broke in, “I really think we need to get Major Carter back to base.”

 

Jack stood up, offering Sam a hand.  “Sounds like a plan to me,” he said, and then looked down at the small figure now standing next to him, her head barely clearing his waist.  She sure was a lot smaller!  “Maybe you should change first, Major,” he suggested.  The black t-shirt fell well to her knees, and one skinny shoulder still poked out the neck hole.

 

At his words, Sam hugged her arms around herself self-consciously.  “Yes sir,” she replied automatically, despite the incongruity of those words coming out of the mouth of a child.  She craned her head back suddenly in surprise, looking from him to Daniel, Teal’c, and Janet.  “Wow,” she said, “You guys are a lot taller.”

 

Jack laughed as Carter unconsciously mirrored his thoughts, and the rest joined in.  No one bothered to point out the inaccuracy of her observation.

 

As he walked away though, after one more look at his suddenly reduced second in command, Jack realized that Sam wasn’t the only one that would have to get used to the change in perspective.

 

 

End Notes:
Reviews make me post faster!  So please, tell me what you think and let me know you are out there reading this piece.  I'm taking the time to post on multiple fan sites, but really am only hearing back on one of them, so do please tell me if I should keep posting here too!
New Perspectives by Iamdragonrider

 

“I know they’re too big, but they’ve got to fit a lot better than what you’re wearing now,” Janet told her, handing her the bundle of clothing they’d packed.  The cargo pants and black t-shirt had belonged to an eleven year old Teal’c a few months ago.  Since they’d expected her to be about the same age, the sizing had seemed appropriate.  Now, they would be much too large, but as Janet had said, anything had to fit better than her current outfit.  Everything but her t-shirt had slid off just about, and even that was in danger.

 

“Thanks,” she told her friend, taking the clothing gratefully.  Janet turned her back, giving her some semblance of privacy.  Sam quickly shed the ill-fitting garments and donned the smaller set.  She looked down at herself and laughed, making Janet turn back around.  Impulsively, she spread her arms out wide.  “Look at me Janet.  I’m so small… and I’m swimming in this outfit!” she said, partly in amusement, and partly in wonder. 

 

Janet cocked her head to one side, arms crossed and studying.  “Swimming at least, not drowning like you were before,” she decided after a moment of consideration.  “Here, we better roll up your pants legs before you trip,” she said, bending to do just that.

 

Surprised, Sam watched her friend as she got down on one knee in front of her, deftly rolling up her left pant leg.  “Yes mom,” she said with mock meekness as the woman finished the one and started on the other, her words making the doctor pause and look up.  With Janet kneeling, their eyes were on almost the same level.

 

“Sorry Sam,” Janet apologized, her cheeks warming slightly.  “Habit I suppose.”  Impishly, she reached out and finished the second before standing up again.  Sam found it an odd feeling to be looking up at her friend when standing.  Janet looked down at her for a beat, wearing a half grin, and then suddenly crossed to the pile of gear, bent down, and grabbed something, tossing it at her.  Sam caught the lightly thrown item easily; shaking it out to reveal the shirt that went with the outfit she was wearing.  She grinned as she realized someone had taken the time to put SGC patches on the sleeves. 

 

“You’d better put that on, it will be dark by the time we reach the gate, and it already feels colder,” Janet told her with teasing sternness.  “I’m going to tell the guys you’re decent.”

 

Sam smiled, shrugging into the too large button down shirt.  “Yes ma’am,” she responded cheekily, and Janet gave her a knowing look and answering smile as she walked away.

 

Even with the shirtsleeves and pant legs rolled up, Sam knew she looked ridiculous, so she couldn’t help but look down at the ground shyly as the guys re-entered the clearing.

 

“Whoo, Carter, we better see about requisitioning you some new uniforms when we get back to base, those certainly won’t pass inspection!” Jack commented lightheartedly, and Sam looked up to find him standing in front of her, relaxed, hands casually resting on his P-90.

 

“Definitely not regulation,” Daniel added, his pose equally relaxed, arms crossed on his chest as he pretended to examine her critically.

 

“Indeed not,” Teal’c added, unable to fully hide his amusement.

 

Sam rolled her eyes as the teasing assaulted her from unexpected quarters.  “Oh fine, laugh all you want, can we go now?” she asked to change the subject.

 

Staring down at her feet, Jack merely commented, “No shoes?”

 

Looking down too, she wriggled her bare toes in the grass. Tilting her head back up, she gave an apologetic half shrug.  “They’re way too big, sir, I’ll probably fall on my face if I wear them.”

 

He nodded.  “We’ll have to have Teal’c carry you I guess,” he determined.  “That ok with both of you?” he asked, looking from one to the other.

 

“I would be honored,” Teal’c agreed readily. 

 

Sam looked back down at her feet and sighed.  It wasn’t exactly the way back home she would have chosen, but she really didn’t have much choice.  “Yeah, ok,” she said.

 

“We’ll put the rest of your gear on the FRED,” Jack told her, looking at her discarded vest and weapons.  Sam hadn’t even tried to see how any of those fit yet.

 

Instinctively, Sam wanted to protest giving up her weapons, even as Teal’c handed over his staff weapon so he could kneel down in front of her.  Instead, all she said was “Yes, sir,” as she wrapped her arms and legs around Teal’c.  She realized that she’d never be able to handle the kick the P-90 put out at her current size.  It would knock her flat, and who knows what she’d hit.  She thought she could handle the Zat, but she needed both hands to cling onto Teal’c’s back.  The Colonel was right, but she couldn’t help but gaze longingly at them as Daniel gathered up her loose gear.

 

The trip back to the stargate was unremarkable.  Daniel dialed the gate, and signaled once he’d sent their iris code.  Teal’c carried her through, and Sam found the trip familiar despite her new size.

 

The General waited for them at the bottom of the ramp, his eyes immediately seeking her out.  Sam saw his eyebrows climb in surprise.

 

“Major Carter?” he asked hesitantly.

 

“It’s me, sir,” she reassured him quickly.  Teal’c came to a stop in front of the General, but made no move to put her down.  The General’s eyes darted to the Colonel, clearly seeking an explanation.

 

“There was a bit of a glitch, sir,” Jack supplied.  “Something about a power surge,” he added with a helpless shrug.

 

For his part, General Hammond barely blinked.  “Very well, we’ll have a full debrief once all of you have cleared medical.”

 

A chorus of yes sirs joined her own, and the group moved to follow his command, but Sam could feel his eyes and the eyes of the security team on her as Teal’c carried her out of the room.  In fact, there were a lot of surprised looks greeting them and her in particular on their way through the familiar hallways.

 

In the infirmary, Teal’c gently set her down on an empty bed, taking the one next to hers.  Daniel and Jack took the other nearby beds.  The scientists were led into another room as Janet pulled the curtain in Sam’s cubicle.

 

Janet had planned ahead it seemed, and had taken pains to have smaller sized equipment on hand.  Sam’s post mission examination was no less thorough than normal.

 

“Well?” Sam asked, as Janet finished, making notes in her chart.  Janet looked up and smiled. 

 

 “Everything checks out,” she told her.  “Aside from a bit higher ratio of muscle mass than is usual for a child this age, you are exactly like any other healthy girl of five.”

 

“So, I can leave?” asked Sam hopefully.

 

Janet frowned thoughtfully.  “Well, to be honest I’d feel more comfortable if we kept you here overnight,” she said, and at Sam’s crestfallen face, added hurriedly, “Of course I see no reason you can’t go to the debriefing and get something to eat before you come back here,” she allowed.

 

Sam brightened, and Janet switched tracks.  “Why don’t you wait here for me, we can check and see if I have anything in the back closet that will fit you better than what you are wearing.  After the Colonel came back with you three from P35-437 the first time, I decided it would be a good idea to keep some more clothing on hand in smaller sizes.  After all, it wasn’t the first time we’ve had smaller guests here,” she explained.

 

In perfect agreement, Sam waited until Janet had her own post mission performed, and then followed the other woman to the closet.  The rest of SG-1 had already finished their post missions, and likely headed for the showers.  With any luck, by the time she found something else to wear, the showers would be ready for her.  The two women quickly sifted through the potential items, finding a pair of blue jeans that looked like they’d fit, and two t-shirts.  One was plain pink, while the other was gray with the words “My dad’s in the Air Force!” stamped on them in navy.  They also managed to find socks, underwear and a pair of shoes that were only a little bit too big.

 

“Those should do for now, but you’ll have to get more things soon,” Janet decided, running a critical eye over the meager selections, and then back over the closet’s contents as if looking to see if they’d missed anything.

 

Sam shrugged, gathering up the things they’d found.  At least these things would fit, and she’d look a bit less ridiculous.  “We’re going to need a lot more, if I’m to be starting school next week.”  Sam shook her head over the idea.

 

“First day of kindergarten?” commented Janet, unsuccessfully hiding her amusement.

 

Sam groaned and shared an incredulous look with Janet.  “Crazy huh?” she asked.  “I thought it would be hard playing a middle school student, but now it feels even more far-fetched.”  Janet smiled, dropping a hand onto her shoulder and giving it a gentle sympathetic squeeze.

 

“You’ll manage,” the woman told her.  “Now why don’t you and I go hit the showers?” she suggested, looking down at her friend.  Sam was again struck by the new change in perspective.

 

On the way to the locker room, Sam was greeted with more double–takes and curious looks, but a few people greeted her by name or rank.  Obviously, the SGC rumor mill was already spreading the word about just who the little girl was that had come back with the rest of SG-1.

 

Opening her locker, Sam realized she needed Janet’s help to reach her shower kit on the top shelf.  The showerheads seemed a lot further away than she was used to as well.  Looking at her now small, childish hands as they washed and dried her body with familiar ease, Sam kept feeling like she was looking at herself with the eyes of someone else.  It was her body, but it was also not.  Everything from the way her skin felt to the absence of familiar curves and… other things, kept making her feel like she wasn’t in her own body despite the signals from her brain telling her otherwise.  It was a very strange sensation.  Janet didn’t seem to mind that Sam was taking longer in the shower than usual, nor that she spent an inordinate amount of time afterwards in front of the body length mirror, studying her reflection.  She’d never really considered herself vain, but the transformations she’d just undergone had her wavering between curiosity and amazement.

 

Still though, she had a briefing to attend and after drying off, Sam quickly dressed, tugging the first t-shirt she grabbed over her head.  The gray t-shirt and jeans were an almost perfect fit and Sam knew they could use the sizes as a starting point to expand her wardrobe.  It was going to be weird not needing a bra for a while though.  The shoes were a little loose, but she tightened the Velcro straps until they fit better.  She was definitely going to have to make new shoes a priority.  Velcro was for kids!

 

“I’m ready,” she announced, jumping up from the bench and found Janet watching her with a curious expression on her face.  Sam recognized it instantly as the one the woman wore whenever Cassie did something particularly sweet, especially when she’d been younger.  “Don’t even say it!” Sam warned her, crossing her arms across her chest threateningly, oblivious to the lack of effect her gesture now had.  “Don’t even think it!”

 

Janet tried to look innocent, and with a huff, Sam led the way out of the room, ignoring the looks she garnered as she walked down the hall.  Catching up easily, Janet fell into step beside her friend.  “You have to admit Sam, it’s going to take some getting used to, for all of us,” she said, voicing some of the thoughts Sam had already had.

 

Sam glanced up at the doctor’s face and softened.  “I know,” she said, acknowledging the importance of the other woman’s words and the unspoken apology.

 

Since they were the last to arrive at the post mission briefing, everyone turned to watch them enter, and Sam was suddenly self-conscious, frozen in the doorway.  A cough from General Hammond redirected everyone’s attention and Sam unfroze long enough to dart over to a nearby empty chair and scramble up into it.  She quickly realized that the chair was much bigger than she remembered, and her head barely cleared to top of the table.  It was very disconcerting, but Sam pushed the feeling aside.  Arriving at a quick solution, she tucked her legs up under her, raising her up a few needed inches.  It still felt very strange, but at least she didn’t feel like she was about to slide under the table.

 

“Major Carter, Doctor Fraiser,” the General greeted without batting an eye, too much of a leader and a gentleman to make any comment on Sam’s unorthodox seating arrangement.  “Shall we begin?” he asked instead.

 

“Well, General, as you can see, the mission was a success but we’ll have to make a few modifications to the plan,” Jack started off, getting right down to the point.

 

Looking thoughtful, Hammond nodded.  “So, you think you will still be able to go ahead with the mission?” he asked.

 

Daniel answered.  “Providence has a kindergarten class.  We’ll just have to change the class Sam is enrolled in, but it should still work.”

 

“Major Carter,” Hammond asked, “Are you in agreement that the mission is still possible?”

 

Sam looked at each of her teammates, and back to the General.  “Yes sir, I am,” she tried to say confidently, but her voice sounded childish even to her own ears.

 

“Actually,” spoke Daniel, “I’ve thought about it, and it might work out even better.  I’ll be teaching kids in Sam’s class and the first grade, and that will let us be more in contact with each other in a way that won’t raise suspicions,” he pointed out.

 

Teal’c looked thoughtful.  “I believe this misfortune will in fact be to our advantage,” he stated.

 

Everyone nodded, and the General addressed his next question to Dr. Lee.  “Doctor, what caused this?  You told me that you would be able to make the Major appear to be twelve years old, eleven at the youngest.”  His tone was level, with no hint of accusation, merely curious.

 

Dr. Lee scratched the side of his nose.  “Well, uh, you see there was a bit of a power surge, and we lost most of our recording equipment.  Colonel O’Neill wouldn’t let me go back in until the smoke cleared,” he explained, unable to hide a faint look of disappointment.  “Until then, I won’t be able to say what happened, or even if the device is undamaged,” he admitted.  “I’d uh, like to take a team back to the planet,” he asked.

 

“Noted Doctor,” Hammond said.  “Dr. Fraiser?” he prompted. 

 

During the exchange, Sam had been busy fiddling with her pen, marveling in the dual and conflicting feelings it gave her.  Holding it was familiar, but her small hands found the length and weight awkward.  Her handwriting was going to take a distinct dive into the illegible until she got used to it.  As Dr. Fraiser made her report, sharing her findings with the rest of the group, Sam’s thoughts caught up with something Dr. Lee had said.

 

Straightening, Sam interrupted the current conversation.  Oblivious to the looks of surprise she received, she blurted out a question.  “Dr. Lee, are you saying that the device might be damaged?  That I might be stuck like this?” she asked, rising up on her knees and waving her hands to indicate her now smaller state.  The rest of the group looked startled.  Obviously they too had been caught up in events and salvaging the mission to think about what the smoke and fried equipment might also mean in the long run.

 

“Uh, well, actually, I don’t know yet,” the man admitted reluctantly.

 

“Sir, permission to accompany Dr. Lee and his team back to P35-437,” she requested, turning to face the General.

 

His answer shocked her.  “Negative,” he said.

 

“But, sir,” she protested, readying an argument, but the General forestalled her with a raised hand. 

 

“I’m sorry Major, but Dr. Lee will have to head the mission on P35-437.  You are too important to the Providence mission for anything else,” he stated in a way that was clear he would not be swayed.  His features softened as Sam was unable to hide her feelings about his denial.  “I understand your concerns, Major.  When your first mission has been completed, I will be happy to reconsider, but until then, your mission to Providence School must be your first and only priority.”  He waited, giving her time to absorb his orders and make any argument.  When she only nodded, looking back down at her pen, he looked around the table.  “Is there anything else?  No?  Then this meeting is dismissed.”

 

Sam’s thoughts were in a daze as everyone around her stood and left.  She looked up as the rest of her team surrounded her, and took in their quiet and concerned faces. 

 

“You ok Sam?” Daniel asked.

 

She nodded automatically, and then said with more surety than she felt, “I’ll be ok, it’s just a lot to take in,” she admitted.

 

Jack didn’t look convinced, but he didn’t push the issue.  Instead, he suggested, “Everything is better with a little… pie,” he finished.  “Commissary?”

 

She couldn’t help it, a smile tugged at the corners of her lips.  “Ok, sir,” she decided.

 

He looked pleased, bouncing slightly in place. “Good,” he said, clapping his hands together once.  “Let’s eat.”

End Notes:

A/N:  Sorry for the delay!  But I had to finish my taxes, and all I could think about was itemizing, exemptions, additions, subtractions, deductions, add the amount in box b to line 3 and divide by the amount on line 66a etc.  And then, today was so beautiful.. I got started on a little yard work.  And really, now, I should be in bed, but here I am, posting this next chapter for you.  So be sure to tell me how wonderful I am.  (wink wink, nudge nudge)

 Anyway, for those of you who have missed updates on Sammy and Dragon… they are both fat, and had a blast today with all the windows open.  I also discovered that the catnip I planted last year came back up on it’s own, so they both had a good wallow in it when I brought them a few sprigs.  Here’s to spring!
Chapter 5: Little Adjustments by Iamdragonrider
Chapter 5:  Little Adjustments 

Getting in line with her team, Sam discovered that she could just see over the top of the counter.  Casually, Daniel grabbed an extra tray from the tall stack and set it in front of her.  She had to stand on tiptoes to reach most of her choices, although she didn’t miss Jack nonchalantly nudging some of her favorite things a little closer to the edge when he thought she wasn’t looking. 

 

“Would you also like some Jell-o, Major Carter?” Teal’c asked as they reached the end of the line, reaching into the top of the dessert case and removing a cup of red Jell-o for himself.  The dessert was definitely out of her reach without a step stool or a boost and she nodded shyly. 

 

“Thanks guys,” she said quietly, as Teal’c placed a cup of the blue gelatin on her tray.

 

They were all being exceedingly polite, although Jack couldn’t resist a bit of gentle teasing as the four of them claimed seats at their usual table.  “Cute shirt, Carter,” he said gently, taking a big bite out of his stew.

 

Sam blushed, hiding her embarrassment in pouring dressing over her salad.  “There weren’t a lot of choices, sir,” she defended.

 

“At least it’s true,” said Daniel innocently, a twinkle in his eye as he bit into his sandwich.

 

“I’m going to need to get some more clothes,” Sam pointed out, redirecting the subject.  “This and one more shirt are all Janet and I could find in my size,” she told them, spearing up a forkful of vegetables.

 

Jack looked thoughtful.  “You’ll need more than clothes I think.  Sounds like we need to make a little fieldtrip tomorrow,” he mused. 

 

She nodded.  “Yes, sir.  Janet wants me in the infirmary overnight, but she’ll probably let me go in the morning,” she told him, then put her fork in her mouth, stopping in surprise at the flavors exploding over her tongue.

 

“Is there something wrong with your meal, Major Carter?” Teal’c asked, pausing in his own eating to look at her curiously.

 

Finding the rest of the team watching her inquiringly, she hastily swallowed, washing the bite down with her drink.  She shook her head, and tried to explain.  “Its just, everything tastes a little… stronger,” she admitted, attempting to find a word to convey the sensation.

 

“Huh,” Daniel answered.  “I’d heard kids have more taste buds, but that’s pretty wild Sam,” he told her, looking fascinated.

 

“Well, you know it’s always hard to get kids to eat their vegetables,” Jack said with a grin, as he watched Sam eagerly taking another bite of her food.  Obviously, there were a few exceptions, although maybe the scientist was the one controlling the urge.  Currently, her face was relaxed; eyes closed in delight, making her look more like the age she’d been reverted to.  Until that moment, they’d all been able to see the woman under the outward appearance of a child.

 

Giving himself a mental shake, Jack brought the subject back on track.  “So, tomorrow afternoon?” he asked.  “We can go to Target, get clothes and school supplies.“

 

Everyone agreed, and Daniel added, “I’ll probably need a few things too.”

 

Pointing his fork at the man, Jack told him “Make a list, I’ll get permission from the General.”  Daniel nodded, and it was clear from his face that he was already making a mental list.

 

The rest of their meal was finished mostly in silence, as thoughts turned to their next mission.  They all went in different directions after the meal.  Jack headed for his office to work on his mission report; Daniel went for his to start the list.  Teal’c was going to the gym for a work out.  Sam stopped by her locker, and headed for her lab.  If she was going to be stuck in the infirmary all night, she intended to be productive.

 

Janet looked slightly surprised to see her show up so early in the evening, but made no comment over the laptop and files she carried.  Sam climbed into the bed and let Janet take a set of vitals while her computer booted up.  “So, how are things?” the Doctor asked casually.

 

Sam shrugged, trying to put her feelings into words. “Ok, things are a little weird, but I guess that’s normal considering.”  She frowned at the questioning look Janet gave her and tried to explain.  “Not weird in a bad way.  Just… different I guess.  Me, the things around me, everything really,” she finished with a half-shrug. 

 

Removing the pediatric blood pressure cuff, Janet studied her friend thoughtfully for a moment.  “I suppose it will just take some getting used to,” she replied, seeming to understand what Sam was trying to say.

 

“Yeah,” she agreed, then turned her attention to her laptop as it beeped, signaling it was ready to go.  Janet excused herself, and Sam soon lost herself in her work.

 

The hours passed quickly.  Sam finished her report on the mission to P35-437 and saved it, turning to the file folder containing the details on the identity she was to assume.  She tried to familiarize herself with the information, trying out her new name “Samantha Lewis.”  The Colonel, playing the part of her father and the owner of Aerotech Enterprises, was Jonathon “Jack” Lewis.  The idea of Jack acting as her father didn’t freak her out as much as she thought it would.  Maybe she was just used to him being in charge after all these years.  Still, it was definitely going to be one of the weirdest missions she’d ever been on.

 

Thinking of their cover stories led to thoughts of the role she was to play.  She’d had doubts before about playing the part of an eighth grader.  But a kindergartener?  She knew immediately that she’d have to be careful.  The whole point of being undercover was to not draw attention to your self.  She’d have to be very careful not to give it away that she was smarter than the average five year old.  But how to hide a lifetime of knowledge and experiences?  It bore a lot of thinking, and Sam was startled by a sudden yawn.  Glancing at the clock, she realized it was a lot later than she’d thought.  Sliding off the bed, she gathered up the files and powered down her laptop, closing it and placing it carefully on the nightstand.

 

Grabbing her toothbrush and her own adult sized t-shirt that she’d grabbed from her locker before coming to the infirmary, Sam headed back to the bathroom.  She was just padding back to bed when Janet came out of her office.  The woman smiled at Sam’s chosen sleepwear, but said nothing out loud.

 

“Here I thought I’d have to chase you to bed,” Janet told her as she climbed into the bed, pulling up the covers.

 

Sam grinned sheepishly and shook her head.  “It’s been a long day,” she admitted, and then yawned again.  She laughed at herself, “The Colonel is taking SG-1 shopping tomorrow.  Daniel and I both need things.  Back to school shopping,” she said ruefully, “It’s been a long time since I’ve had to do that!”  She chuckled at the idea.

 

Janet laughed with her.  “Well, I’ll not keep you from your rest.  As long as your lab work comes back clear tomorrow, and everything goes all right tonight, I’ll let you go in the morning.”

 

“Thanks, Janet,” Sam told her sincerely.

 

“I’ll be staying on base tonight,” Janet added.  “Cassie is spending the night with a friend, so I’m not really needed at home.  Goodnight, Sam.”

 

“Night Janet,” Sam replied warmly, appreciating the fact that Janet was probably staying because of her.  She laid back in the bed, tucking her hands behind her head and staring at the ceiling as the other woman left, dimming the lights. 

 

As she looked up in the semi darkness of the infirmary, thoughts cascaded through her head, and she felt it would be some time before she could actually sleep.  Her body had other plans though, and Sam was asleep much sooner than she thought she would.  It seemed like next to no time had passed before woke the next morning, feeling oddly refreshed in a way she hadn’t in a long time.

 

She was up and dressed, choosing the pink t-shirt this morning, by the time Janet joined her.  Looking over her overnight vitals and the lab work that had come back, Janet quickly agreed to let her go.  “I want you to come back right away though,” the doctor cautioned, “If you experience anything at all unusual.  Oh, and you should probably try to avoid sugar and caffeine.”

 

Sam looked up in surprise.  “No coffee?” she asked.

 

Janet smiled.  “Only if it’s decaf,” she allowed.  “Children react more easily to caffeine and sugar than adults do,” she explained.  “Somehow, I think you’d rather not be bouncing off the walls.”

 

“I’ll keep it in mind,” Sam told her.  “Thanks Janet.”

 

Sam left the infirmary, dropping off the things from last night that she didn’t need.  She went to the commissary, grabbing her usual bagel with cream cheese, and a bottle of orange juice.  On impulse, she poured a bowl of cereal and picked up a carton of milk and an apple.  For some reason, she was really hungry this morning!

 

Balancing her selections on top of the laptop and files she’d chosen to hang onto, Sam found her feet carrying her not to her lab as usual, but to Daniel’s office.  Last night when she’d gone to her lab, she’d found the room a bit imposing.  The tables alone were taller than her head, and Sam didn’t relish a morning spent perched on her high stool trying to reach things, despite the tantalizing appeal of several things she’d been working on recently.  Just outside of her teammate’s office, Sam could smell the tempting aroma of freshly brewed coffee.  She was going to have a hard time following Janet’s advice.

 

At her hesitant knock, Daniel looked up for a text he was reading, one hand holding a pen poised over his notepad.  He’d been mumbling to himself when she’d arrived.  The archeologist looked over the top of his book, and then lowered it, sitting up higher to see her in the doorway over the clutter of objects on his desk.

 

“Sam!” he greeted warmly.  “Come in, have a seat,” he said, getting up and hastily clearing off a chair and making a place on his desk for her to set her burden down.

 

“Morning Daniel,” she answered, smiling in thanks as she put her things on the desk and sat in the offered chair.  She couldn’t help the longing gaze she sent to the coffee maker in the corner.  Daniel always made an excellent pot, and there was enough in the carafe for one more cup.

 

Catching her look, Daniel grinned.  “Do you want a cup?  You know you’re always welcome to share with me,” he offered.

 

Sadly, Sam shook her head.  “Janet said I should try to avoid caffeine.  Something about my metabolism being different now,” she explained to his curious look.

 

Daniel blinked, then held up a finger.  “Wait a second, I have just the solution,” he said cheerfully.  Turning, he poured the last of the coffee into his cup, and then bent to rummage in a drawer.  “Here it is,” he announced, holding up a bag.  “Decaf,” he told her smugly.

 

“You?  With decaf?” Sam asked in surprise. 

 

With a boyish grin, Daniel changed the filter in the machine and measured out a few spoonfuls of grounds.  “I’ve lost count of the number of times Janet has refused to let me have caffeine,” he admitted ruefully.  “There, let me just get some water, I’ll be right back.”  He left, carrying the empty coffee pot.

 

Smiling, Sam gave her attention over to breakfast.  Daniel returned and restarted the coffee pot.  He poured her a cup when it was done, and the two of them settled into a companionable silence, each working on their own projects.

 

In was in that way that Colonel O’Neill found them several hours later, Teal’c standing just behind.  “Howdy folks,” he greeted, standing with his hands casually stuffed in his pockets.

 

“Hey guys,” Daniel greeted.

 

Sam turned in her chair and smiled.  “Morning sir, Teal’c.”

 

Jack’s practiced eye traveled over the two of them, taking in the empty breakfast plates and the mugs by each of their places.  He narrowed his eye at the nearly empty coffee pot.

 

“It’s decaf,” she defended hastily.

 

“Want some?” offered Daniel innocently.

 

Jack made a face.  “Urgh, no thanks.  You two haven’t been in here all morning have you?  It’s practically lunchtime,” he complained.

 

The two scientists shared a guilty look, and Jack threw up his hands in mock dismay.  “What am I going to do with the two of you?  You never learn.”  He turned to his companion.  “Teal’c, help me out here buddy.”

 

Teal’c inclined his head, face amused.  “Perhaps we should acquire lunch, O’Neill,” he suggested.

 

“Good idea!” Jack praised.

 

“Actually, I could eat, sir,” Sam said in surprise.

 

Jack grinned over the easy victory, and turned to the last member of SG-1.  Daniel shrugged.  “Yeah, ok,” he agreed.

 

“Sweet,” Jack proclaimed.  “After lunch, we can do the shopping thing,” he decided.  “You done that list Daniel?”

 

“Uh, yeah,” Daniel answered, shifting a few things on his desk and coming up with a slip of paper covered in his distinctive scrawl.  Jack raised his eyebrows at the length.

 

“Did you get everything down?  Pencils, paper, the kitchen sink?” he asked sarcastically as they headed out of the office. 

 

Daniel shook his head in exasperation.  “Jack!  We’re both going to need a lot of things.  It’s not like we can go in with supplies stamped ‘Property of the USAF.’”

 

Sam fell back with Teal’c and shared a smile with the man as the other two men started to debate the matter.  Now in front of her, Jack grabbed the list out Daniel’s hand.  “It’s a good thing the General gave me a credit card with a big limit,” he muttered, after scanning the number of items on the list.  With a sour look he handed it back.

 

Daniel of course made an automatic retort, but Sam was too busy looking around the hallways as they walked to pay attention.  Sam let the familiar arguing fade into the background as she took in how different everything felt.  The feeling of dislocation she’d experienced last night came back to her, and she was preoccupied during their entire meal and while she waited for the guys to change into street clothes.

 

The rest of her team took note of her atypically subdued mood, and didn’t press her, instead, filling the air with normal conversation while they ate and afterwards made their way to the surface.  She passed through the security checkpoints presenting her ID automatically and barely registering the explanation the Colonel gave the confused guards for her.  She absently returned the greetings the guards gave her.

 

Once topside, SG-1 headed towards the vehicle they were borrowing for the mission, Sam trailing behind, lost in her own thoughts.  The guys went ahead, careful not to go too far away, but respecting her need for space.  When they reached the SUV however, Jack stopped, and turned around to face her, waiting for her to catch up.

 

“Carter,” he said gravely, one hand on the back door, “I’m sorry, but you’ll have to ride in the back seat,” he told her.  Sam blinked, and shrugged.  She had no problem with that, but Jack continued before she could say so.  “Luckily for you, Colonel Dixon heard we were heading out and he’s loaned us his daughter’s booster seat, at least until we can pick up another one.”  With that, he pulled open the back door.

 

Startled, Sam took an involuntary step back.  Shaking her head, she held up her hands in front of her.  “Uh, no way.  You don’t seriously expect me to ride in that do you sir?” she asked, tearing her eyes away from the horrible pink contraption in front of her to look at her CO.  Unfortunately for her, the Colonel had his arms crossed.  He didn’t appear to be joking.

 

“Colorado state law, Carter.  Six years old or 55 inches tall, neither of which you are right now,” he admonished sternly.  Her eyes widened in shock, he must have studied the law verbatim!

 

“But,” she protested helplessly, shooting desperate glances at her teammates.  Teal’c was studying the booster seat, and Daniel looked slightly embarrassed and was pretending disinterest, neither of them looked like they’d be coming to her aid any time soon.  Vainly, she struggled to come up with some logical reason to keep from having to ride in the thing in the back seat.  It was hideous, all colorful… and childish.  And pink.  There was no way she was getting in that thing.  No way!

 

“Ah ah!  No buts Carter.  The law is the law.”  He narrowed his eyes slightly. “Now get in the seat, Major,” he ordered in a way that signaled the discussion was over.  He gestured with his hands for her to do just that.  Still resisting, Sam stood rooted, hoping to come up with a good reason why she should be exempt. 

 

Studying her and SG-1’s leader in open curiosity, Teal’c wondered mildly, “Major Carter, would this seat not offer you increased protection in a collision?”

 

“See?” Jack exclaimed, “That’s the point Teal’c!  Safety first, that’s what I always say.”  His grin seemed to indicate he’d come up with the idea in the first place.

 

“That’s not the… Oh, never mind,” she grumbled, finally giving in.  Getting in the truck was a bit of a struggle; she literally had to climb up using the door and seat to find hand and toe holds.  Wisely, the rest of her team remained silent, and once she was in the truck, Jack shut the door.  The rest of them got in, leaving her to puzzle out the five-point harness restraint and how best to approach it.

 

Somehow, she managed to get her arms into the right places, grumbling quietly the whole time.  “Sorry, Sam,” Daniel mumbled apologetically as he slid in from the other side.  Sam only nodded distractedly, focused on working out the buckles.  She really shouldn’t be having all that much trouble, after all a five point harness was nothing new, just about any aircraft she’d ever flown had at least that.  Dimly, she heard three sets of seatbelts buckle into place, while she’d only managed to find one connection.  One of the straps was twisted too, and she’d encountered several stains and something squishy in the crevasses of the seat that she’d rather not think about.

 

“Uh, Carter, you need a little help back there?” asked Jack, twisting in the front seat to look back at her.  “I’m sure Daniel can give you a hand if you need it.”

 

Interrupted from her task, Sam looked up quickly.  Three sets of eyes met hers, and Daniel tried to smile reassuringly.  “Uh, that’s ok, I’m good sir, I got it,” she assured them hastily with more confidence than she felt, turning hurriedly back to her task.

 

Jack studied her for a moment, and then turned back around.  “That’s ok Carter, take all the time you need,” he told her. “Not like we have a deadline or anything,” he muttered, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, impatient to get going.  “Isn’t that right kids?” he asked loudly, the word slipping out from accustomed use.

 

As if to cover his slip, Daniel and Teal’c both spoke at the same time, their words lost in each other’s voices.  Teal’c turned away to look out the window and Daniel looked at her guiltily.  Jack fiddled with his keys.

 

“When I’m back to normal, you are all so going down,” she promised under her breath, squirming and finally sending the last connection home with a click.  “Ready!” she announced more loudly.

 

“What was that, Major?” Jack asked, as he started the truck, eyeing her in the rearview mirror.  From his tone, she knew he had heard what she’d said.  Fidgeting against the unfamiliar sensation of the booster seat and harness and feeling her cheeks burn, Sam wondered what to tell him.  While they’d all been exceedingly polite and courteous, there had still been some teasing and always a bit of amusement at her expense just lurking under the surface.  She knew it was only a matter of time before they quit holding back.  To her mind, the whole booster seat thing was just the beginning.

 

“Uh, Jack,” Daniel interrupted with impeccable timing, saving her from reply. “If we’re going out in public, wouldn’t it look, oh, unusual, to address Sam by her last name or rank?” he asked with feigned innocence.  Sam sent him a grateful smile when she knew Jack wasn’t looking.

 

Diverted, Jack looked surprised for a moment.  “Daniel,” he admitted, missing their exchange, “When you’re right, you’re right.  You heard him folks, first names from now on.”  Teal’c nodded and Daniel settled back into his seat with a smirk.  He’d have no trouble with first names.  Jack rolled his eyes and glanced at Sam in the rearview again.  “Sam?” he asked, trying out the name.

 

“Yes s… Jack,” she stammered in agreement.  She’d start with Jack, and later they could worry about their cover story.  Right now, she didn’t think she could go from Sir or Colonel to Dad.  And she was not going to call him Daddy.  No. Way.

 

The Colonel seemed to agree with her unspoken words.  “We’ll work on it,” he promised, his eyes meeting hers in the mirror.  “We’ve got time to work on the rest.”  He turned his attention back to driving, and Sam was left to her own thoughts, letting the familiar banter of her team wash over her.  Resting her head back on the padded headrest, Sam was grateful that at least she was tall enough to see out the window, even if she couldn’t see anything out the front.  She stared at the passing scenery, lost in thought.  It seemed like every single thing she did was taking time to get used to.  Even old familiar things, like dressing or showering or using a pen just felt off, like she was using someone else’s body.  A very small someone else.  It had been a little disorienting at times so far.  She was starting to doubt if she’d be ready to take on the mission in a week. 

 

Somehow though, she had to try.

 
End Notes:

A/N:  Sorry for the delay!  Hopefully though, it was worth the wait.  As always, I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.  Many thanks to all of you who have left feedback of some sort thus far, and especially thank you for those who do so regularly.

 

The only reason I've threatened to stop posting here is that I'm also posting on FF.net, and the story is recieving a lot more interest there.  I usually post there first, and when the story is complete I post it here.  This time I thought I'd try posting it chapter by chapter while it's still a WIP, but there didn't seem much interest on other sites.  For now, I'll keep posting here, since there are a few of you out there!  I'm also posting on the SG-1Littleverse, but they seem to be having technical difficulties at the moment.

Chapter 6: A Little Shopping by Iamdragonrider

 

It seemed like no time at all had passed before they were pulling into the lot of the local Target. Jack quickly found a parking spot, and Sam was pulled from her thoughts when the three men of SG-1 got out of the truck.  They waited patiently while she extricated herself from the seat, which fortunately was easier than getting in had been.  She felt she’d have an easier time with the restraints when they were ready to leave.

 

Even though the team was in no hurry, Sam found she had to quicken her stride to keep up with the men’s longer ones.  They didn’t seem to realize that she couldn’t keep up as easily as she normally did, and she wasn’t ready yet to ask them to slow down.

 

Once inside the store, Teal’c picked up a circular, and Jack grabbed a cart, both men heading down the main aisle together.  Sam started to follow but found herself rooted not far inside the entrance, suddenly feeling uneasy.  The store was packed with weekend shoppers, most of them heading out on one of the last shopping weekends before school started.  Despite many trips to this very store in the past, the place seemed a lot bigger than she remembered, even the low shelves just inside the doorway now taller than her head.  Noise assaulted her from the nearby electronics department, competing with the sounds from the busy registers and the din created by what felt like hundreds of people shopping.

 

A figure stopped next to her, and Sam looked up to find Daniel gazing down at her in concern.  After studying her for a moment, he crouched down next to her, so they were more or less on the same eye level.  “You ok?” he asked just loud enough for her to hear, as shoppers came and went around the small island they made.  While a few people looked at the two curiously, most of them went about their business, many grabbing or returning carts, others heading off on different errands.

 

Sam blinked, pulling herself out of her reverie, and tried to figure out how to voice what she was feeling in a way he’d understand.  “Everything seems so much larger,” she confessed.  And noisy.  And crowded, neither of which she added.  Irrational as it felt, for the first time in her adult life she was worried about being on her own, concerned that she could get easily separated from the rest of her team.  While the rational part of her mind argued she could handle herself, the rest of her brain was telling her how tiny she was, how insignificant.

 

How vulnerable.

 

She wasn’t used to feeling that way, had always taken pride in her strength and ability to defend herself or her team.  Years of discipline, training, and experience had given her the capacity to take on all sorts of situations, but suddenly, she felt like she was at a major disadvantage.  Small stirrings of doubt started to nag at her.

 

Somehow, Daniel seemed to understand her unvoiced thoughts as well as her spoken words.  He gave her a sympathetic look.  “Don’t worry Sam, we’re all in this together.”

 

Before she could reply, they both startled as they heard Jack calling them.  Her friend stood and rose up slightly on his toes to wave back in the direction the voice had come from.  Sam looked for the rest of her team in the direction he was waving, but all she could see was a sea of legs, clothing racks, and shopping carts.  She bumped into something solid and realized she’d run into Daniel’s legs.  “Sorry,” she mumbled still trying to see where the Colonel and Teal’c were.

 

“Sam?” Daniel asked her worriedly, his forehead crinkled with his concern.

 

Sam just shook her head.  “I can’t see them, Daniel,” she admitted, trying to keep the anxiety from her voice.  It had been different at the SGC.  At least there she’d been surrounded by familiar faces.  It didn’t hurt that she knew the complex like the back of her hand, and the base had been much less crowded.  She’d also spent most of the last twenty-four hours in the infirmary, or the well-known haunts of Daniel’s office.  Whenever she’d left those areas, she’d usually been surrounded by her team.  Drowning herself in paperwork had helped some too.  She had to admit to herself that she was more than a little overwhelmed by the crowds and just how much bigger everything felt.  Maybe this trip so soon had been a bad idea.

 

Daniel gazed down at her, adjusting his glasses.  Then he held out his hand.  “I know where they are,” he told her.  Sam hesitated, biting her lip while embarrassment fought with the desire to take the security Daniel was silently offering her.  Good sense finally won out, and she placed her hand in his, instantly reassured when his larger hand warmly enveloped hers in a secure grip.  He smiled encouragingly down at her, and then led the way to the rest of the team, unconsciously matching his stride to her much shorter one.

 

The crowd parted so she could see Teal’c and the Colonel nearby, and she met their inquiring gazes with a slightly defiant lift of her jaw.  Teal’c turned to study the items on a nearby end cap, and Jack’s eyes slid over hers and Daniel’s joined hands, but he said nothing.  Instead, once they’d joined up he asked Daniel for the list.

 

Blinking, Daniel was forced to let go of her hand to rummage around in his pockets.  “Here it is,” he announced after a brief search, pulling out the slightly crumpled paper.  While Jack looked over Daniel’s shoulder at the list, Sam reached out and curled her fingers tightly around the side of the cart.  If they noticed, no one said anything about it.  Once Jack decided where to start, Sam moved as the cart did, finding she was only paying partial attention to the conversation her teammates were having because she was too distracted by all the activity going on around her.  She knew she could afford to be preoccupied because her team would watch out for her, and she took comfort in that fact as she tilted her head up taking in her surroundings and trying to absorb the differences, letting her team guide her in the right direction.  The group made their way to the back of the store, starting with the back to school section. 

 

Sam soon found she had little interest in the shopping, while the three men were overly enthusiastic as if the make up for her unaccustomed quiet, picking out the things she would need.  Mostly she responded when they asked her opinion on things, though she did keep one eye on the things that made it into the cart, peering over the edge of it now and again to make sure they weren’t putting too many cutesy kid things in there.  For the most part though, the guys seemed to realize she didn’t want things that were pink or had cute animals all over them, and if there was a choice, they tended to choose things that had stars or rocket ships and outer space themes.  The folders with high test sports cars she wasn’t sure who had added to the cart, but the pencils with little gray Asgard-like aliens had Jack’s hand stamped all over them.  Likewise, the Star Wars erasers had obviously been contributed by Teal’c.  When the pencil box with a dessert scene and what looked like a pyramid on the top dropped onto the growing pile in the bottom of the cart, Sam looked up in surprise to meet Daniel’s startled eyes.  The man flushed and mumbled something about puppies or battle bots being the alternatives and turned hastily away to join Teal’c over at the display of lunch bags.

 

Uncharacteristically silent and reluctant to let go of the cart, Sam was mostly content to let the guys do the shopping for her.  Of course, when Jack tried to add a plastic coated Simpsons themed backpack to the cart, she hastily switched it out with a black canvas one detailed with the Harley Davidson logo.  Hey, she only looked five, and the Colonel didn’t have to carry the thing!  Jack looked disappointed when he noticed her substitution, but didn’t comment as he dropped several notebooks into the cart.  Daniel dutifully crossed both items off the list.  As they finished with the back to school section, they headed over to the clothes and shoe departments.  Equally crowded, and with a line for the fitting room, Sam shook her head when Jack asked her if she wanted to try anything on.

 

“Let’s just save the receipt,” she asked, a bit more plaintively than she intended, inwardly cursing herself for her weakness.  Jack eyed the hand she still had in a death grip on the cart and nodded.  Obediently, she held still while Daniel checked the tags on the things she was wearing to get the sizes, and the men let her pick out most of everything, even though they couldn’t resist a few suggestions.  Jack looked ecstatic when he found a familiar display containing the dark blue and olive drab cargo pants, matching oversized shirts and black t-shirts.  She couldn’t stop the smile at his excitement, and nodded her agreement as sets in each color were added to the cart.  She could always wear the items on base.  With the right patches sewn on, they could even pass for uniforms.  Not that anyone outside the SGC would believe that she was really an Air Force Major.  At least not at the age she looked.

 

Sam stayed involved enough to choose several packs of socks, underwear, and a jacket.  She eschewed sleepwear over the too adorable options in her size, deciding that her own adult sized t-shirts were more than suitable.  The one she’d worn last night came down past her knees.  She picked out shoes, going for a plain pair in white and blue, despite Jack’s trying to tempt her with ones that had little lights.  There was a nostalgic look on his face that she couldn’t place as he reluctantly replaced the shoes on the shelf.  Vaguely, she’d recalled a similar pair in the room at the Colonel’s place that had been hers a few months previous.  With a little searching, they actually managed to find a pair in her size with laces that didn’t have cartoon characters on the sides.  Daniel commented that she’d probably be the only kid in the class that could tie her own shoes without assistance.

 

Finally, they had everything on Daniel’s list, except the dreaded but necessary booster seat.  Sam trudged reluctantly alongside the cart to the infants department, suddenly finding the floor attractive, as Jack started to point out the features of the various seats. 

 

“Hey, look, this one has a holder for a juice box!” he enthused over one model. While Jack started to play with the adjustable armrests, Daniel crouched down and turned a box around, studying the features of another of the products.  Teal’c wandered down the aisle, examining all of the display models closely, as if looking for defects.

 

“Any preferences Sam?” Daniel asked absently, as he turned around a second box to compare features with the first one.

 

Looking up at being addressed directly, Sam felt comfortable enough to let go of the cart.  They were the only ones in the aisle.  Looking over the models on display, Sam shook her head slowly.  She really wasn’t interested in picking out a booster seat for herself.  It just felt too weird.  Wrinkling up her nose, she did make one request.  “Please, not pink, and not that one,” she pointed to one on the end that had a fabric print of adorable animals that looked like they would be perfect on a nursery wall.  The rest at least looked like they were designed to be used for several years as the child aged, and while they did not look like they were for infants, the very nature of what it was made them all look childish in her eyes.  The men looked amused, but wisely didn’t say anything about her disqualifications and were soon involved in a spirited debate about which seat they should purchase.  Daniel seemed to have made his choice based on features, while Teal’c had found one that he felt would offer the most protection.  Jack seemed fixated on patterns and extras.  No one seemed very concerned with price.

 

Content to let them hash out the final choice, after giving the three runners up a once over and deciding none of them stood out particularly in her mind’s eye, Sam wandered away from the cart, walking to the end of the aisle.  Unlike the rest of the store, the infant’s department was quiet, most of the shoppers out today picking up items for back to school.  She felt drawn to the busier center aisle, wanting to get used to the crowds and how small she felt.  She was careful not to leave the aisle; the guys were visible a few meters away.  Jack had his arms crossed as he watched Daniel waving hands and pointing to something on a box.  Teal’c stood with hands behind his back, listening intently to the other two men’s arguments.  They could just as easily have been in a briefing or off world, discussing a way to do things.  Usually, Sam would have joined in, but today, she was too busy trying to get used to her new perspective on the world.  The debate behind her faded away as she turned around, finding herself people watching instead, something she hadn’t done in a long time.

 

In front of her, people bustled to and fro, intent on their errands.  Most of them paid her no attention, but a few smiled at her, and one tow-headed little boy of about six or seven whose mother was tugging him along gave her an impudent grin and a little wave.  Sam smiled tentatively back.  She felt a little more comfortable now, but was content to stay where she was, within sight and sound of the rest of her team.  Turning to survey the front of the store, Sam was greeted with long lines at the crowded registers.  She wasn’t looking forward to checking out.  The frequent beeps of the scanners were audible even over the general noise in the store.  People talking, children laughing, the sound of a sale’s associate’s walkie chattering all competed to create an overall din, and Sam was finding it fascinating in some odd way.  An aisle or two over, a toddler started to cry in the unmistakable sounds of what was building into a full tantrum, the high pitched sound traveling noticeably over the other noises as the unfortunate parent transported the child closer to where she stood.

 

“Jenny!  What are you doing here?” came a sudden loud male voice behind her, clearly heard over the nearby screaming and general noise level of the store.  Sam started to turn and investigate when she felt her hand grabbed in an uncompromising grip.  She was dragged several steps before she even registered what was happening.  Unsuccessfully, she tried to disengage her hand, but the man wasn’t even looking at her as he tugged her along, berating her loudly.  “I’ve had just about enough of you wandering off, young lady!  I knew we should have put you right in the cart, and as soon as we find your mother that’s exactly where you’re going!”  He continued on in the same vein, seemingly full of righteous parental fury as he hauled her further away from where her teammates shopped.

 

Sam pulled harder, trying to twist out of his grasp and dragging her feet in a vain attempt to slow the man down, her sneakers sliding uselessly over the smooth tiles. “Hey!  Let go, I’m not…” she protested trying to be heard over the man’s constant lecturing, but the man ignored her words, raising his voice to be heard over hers.  Meanwhile, the unseen child’s wailing rose in pitch as the still out of sight toddler signaled his or her displeasure, and Sam realized with a start that even if she pitched a similar fit, no one would find it amiss.  In fact, several people had already eyed the pair, some curious, some slightly disapproving, all of them ignoring what they perceived to be a father disciplining an unwilling child.

 

“Stop that, Jenny!” the man told her sternly in response to her near worthless attempts at physically slowing their advance, busy surveying the crowds presumably to locate his missing wife.  He gave her arm a practiced yank that forced her to stop leaning backward and take several large steps in the man’s wake to avoid falling over.  “You know the rules,” the man continued unabated, “If you can’t act like a big girl and be responsible, then your mom or I will hold your hand like a baby.  Now, where is your mother?  She must be worried sick!”

 

Desperately, Sam craned her neck, trying to spot one of the guys.  The man wouldn’t listen to her, wouldn’t even look at her, and they were almost out of the infant department.  He was too strong and she too small for her to physically break his hold or slow him down.  She was just considering what defensive moves she could possibly use on the man to get his attention when a large figure stepped out in front of them, blocking their path, and forcing the man to stop his forward momentum.  “Teal’c!” she gasped in relief.

 

His thick arms crossed sternly over his broad chest, Teal’c delivered a glare that no doubt had left trained Jaffa quaking in their boots.  “You will release Samantha now,” he stated evenly. 

 

It was not a request.

 

The man stepped back in shock, tugging her unwillingly with him.  “What?  Samantha? Who…” his eyes followed the other man’s glare, and he dropped Sam’s hand as if electrocuted.

 

“Oh!  Oh my gosh!  I’m so sorry, this is a mistake, I mean, I saw her standing alone and I thought she was my little girl…” the man stumbled over his own words as Teal’c continued to block his way threateningly.  Taking another step back, he jumped as he collided with Daniel, whose posture was not dissimilar to the one Teal’c held.

 

“Oh really?” Daniel asked quietly.  He did not look very impressed.

 

“Just who are you anyway?” asked Jack, arriving on the scene, his words like steel.  Reaching down, he picked up Sam, automatically transferring her to one hip and positioning himself so that his body was between hers and the man’s.  Instinctively, Sam wrapped her arms and legs around him, too filled with her own conflicting emotions to protest the surprise move.

 

“Do you always make a habit of running off with kids you don’t know?” Daniel asked, his tone mild, but his posture anything but.  Teal’c continued to glare silently.

 

Surrounded, the man looked like he was about to faint.  He looked frantically at the three hard faces, the well-muscled bodies, and the unmistakable air of confidence that came with years of training and working together.  He held out open hands in supplication.  “Look, it was an honest mistake, I really thought she was my little Jenny, they look so much alike.  Please, I’m a father!”  The man was practically begging.

 

“I think he’s telling the truth, sir,” Sam whispered in Jack’s ear.  Just then, a little girl’s voice was heard coming from the back of the store.

 

“Daddy!  There you are Daddy!  C’mon, Mommy says I can have a toy because I’ve been such a good girl!”  Everyone turned at the sound of the voice to see a little girl about five or six.  Her blond hair was of a length similar to Sam’s, and she also wore a pink t-shirt and blue jeans with white tennis shoes.  Although the little girl’s shirt had butterflies on it while Sam’s was plain, the resemblance was striking.  A woman with long, equally blond hair stood behind the little girl, her face showing open curiosity and a little concern as she saw the three unfamiliar men surrounding her husband.

 

The man looked relieved, and pointed to his family.  “See?  Look, I’m really sorry.  I honestly didn’t mean to worry any of you, especially your little girl.”  He looked at each of them, genuinely contrite.

 

“Daddy?” called the other little girl again.  At her call, Teal’c stepped aside, leaving just enough space to let the man slip by.  The man wasted no time beating a hasty retreat, and with one last glance over his shoulder, he picked up the pace.  “I’m coming sweetie!” he called.

 

“Well, that was interesting,” commented Daniel, his brows furrowed as he watched the other man join his family and hustle them out of sight.  His stiff posture relaxed marginally.

 

Jack just grunted, and when Sam squirmed trying to get him to put her back down, he tightened his grip and stalked back to the cart.  With one hand, he started grabbing the items in the top of the cart and tossing them in the back.  Sam realized his intent immediately.

 

Eyes on the now empty child seat, Sam tried to wriggle out of the Colonel’s grasp but he was too quick and too determined.  As he swung her into the seat, all protests died on her lips as she caught a glimpse of his face.  His features were a mask of stone, his jaw clenched and his eyes dark.  He didn’t even look at her as he let her go. 

 

“Teal’c, push the cart, I’ll get us a place in line,” he ordered gruffly, moving off, his body stiff.  Instinctively, Sam knew the anger wasn’t directed at her.  She knew, because underneath the anger, she had seen fear.  What had just happened, what could have been had it not been a simple honest mistake, had given the man a terrible scare.  In fact, if she admitted it to herself, it had frightened all of them, including her.  Knowing on some level she would be less independent and able to take care of herself in the form of a child, and suddenly being confronted with a situation that really drove it home was quite another thing.  All of the little doubts she’d somehow managed to suppress earlier came rushing back at her.  She slumped in the seat with a resigned sigh, not moving even when Teal’c placed his large hands on either side of her, surrounding and protecting her with his bulk.  Daniel caught her eye as he fell into step beside them, giving her a sympathetic smile and a helpless shrug.  He dropped one hand on the cart, near, but not touching.  Sam felt all her irritation at the three men’s overprotective actions dissolving away, replaced by a feeling of helplessness.  She sighed again, watching the floor several feet below her small shoes pass by.

 

They met up with Jack at the checkout line as promised.  As he and Daniel unloaded the cart Jack seemed to be recovering his usual confidence and earlier cheerful mood and traded jokes with the cashier and snarky comments with Daniel.  Teal’c remained in front of her, his quiet presence comforting.  Looking up, she found the man staring down at her, his gaze measuring.

 

“It was most disturbing to all of us to find you unwillingly going with a man we did not know,” he told her quietly.  “You must forgive us Samantha, if we have overreacted.”

 

Sam glanced behind her, watching for a moment as Daniel loaded bags into the cart, and Jack swiped the credit card Hammond had given him.  Somehow, knowing her team was looking out for her helped at least a little bit.  She turned back to the large warrior and smiled ruefully.  “It’s ok, Teal’c, I understand,” she told him, and then added, “Thank you.”  Teal’c nodded, looking relieved, and as soon the last bag was loaded, he pushed the cart outside.

 

Sitting back in the seat, Sam looked around her.  Everything still seemed bigger than normal, but her vantage from the cart seat at least gave her a better-known point of view.  After pushing the cart out to the car, Teal’c lifted her down while Jack opened up the truck and Daniel started grabbing bags.  Deciding the three men had loading up well in hand, Sam decided to get a jumpstart on getting herself strapped in. 

 

She had to reach up to grab the handle, and the door was a lot heavier than she remembered.  Climbing up was easier now that she had the knack of it, but it took both hands to pull the door shut behind her.  Looking up over the back of the seat, she caught sight of Daniel grinning at her as he pushed something inside through the open hatch, and the Colonel gave her a broad wink before he turned back around to grab another bag, but no one said anything.  Sam turned her attention to the annoying harness.

 

The second time was much easier, and she was strapped in in half the time.  By the time she was buckled in, the guys had just about finished loading up, and Sam grinned in amusement at the snatches of conversation she heard.

 

“I’m telling you Daniel, that cashier was checking you out,” Jack was saying teasingly.

 

Daniel protested automatically.  “She was not!”

 

“Oh, she was definitely looking, you man you.” There was a sound of flesh meeting fabric-clad flesh, as Jack no doubt slapped the other man playfully.  “You don’t believe me, ask Teal’c.  T-buddy, was she or was she not watching Daniel’s six?”  Sam couldn’t see around the wings of the seat, but she didn’t need to see to know that Jack was grinning madly and Daniel was probably shooting a desperate “Save me” glance at Teal’c.

 

There was a pause behind her as bags were shifted, and then Teal’c replied, his deep rumble unmistakable.  “I believe Mindy was indeed most interested in inspecting Daniel Jackson,” he said, without a hint of humor, but Sam imagined she could see a gleam in his eye.  The back hatch slamming shut drowned out Daniel’s inevitable protest, and Jack’s gleeful reaction that Teal’c not only supported him, but also had picked up on the girl’s name.

 

Around her, the other three doors opened and the men climbed in.  “I’m not going back in there, Jack.  Don’t you think we’ve bought enough stuff for one day?” Daniel announced firmly in answer to something Jack had said that she’d missed but could easily guess.

 

“You’re no fun,” Jack whined, as he started the truck.  “I’m sure Carter wouldn’t mind if you went back in, right Carter?” he asked, momentarily forgetting the first name only rule.

 

Sam couldn’t resist, and grinned while she shook her head.  She laughed as Jack whooped, pounding the steering wheel and Daniel looked stricken.  “Sam!” he protested, “I thought you’d be on my side!”

 

After some more good-natured teasing, everyone’s spirits were lifted, and Jack finally changed the subject, to Daniel’s relief.  “Where to next?” he asked, twisting around to catch the other three in his sights.

 

Surprised, Sam looked up.  “We’re not going back to base?” she asked, the words slipping out before she could stop them.

 

Jack frowned.  “We could, if that’s what you want, but I was thinking we could stop and get something to eat first,” he suggested, eyebrow raised and inviting comment.

 

“That is most agreeable,” approved Teal’c immediately.

 

“I could eat,” added Daniel.  The three looked at Sam.

 

“Sounds good to me,” she said with a shrug.  Thinking about it, she was glad their little scare today hadn’t made the three men hustle her right back to the mountain.  She also felt she could not only stand a little more exposure out and in public, but that she needed a little more time away from those places of security.  At least in a restaurant, they would be seated, and she wouldn’t have to worry about getting lost or separated in the crowds.  She knew she’d have to get used to being small, but the day had been tiring so far and she was ready to sit down and relax for a little while.

 

Beating a little tattoo on the steering wheel, Jack looked around as he asked, “Pizza ok?  I’ve heard this sweet little shop opened not far from base, good food, relaxed dining, and reasonable prices.”

 

After another round of affirmatives, they were on their way.

 

Soon, they pulled up at the restaurant, and Sam realized she’d heard of the place as well.  Like the Colonel, she too had wanted to try it out.  She got out of the truck and walked with her team, the three men circling her but including her in their gentle banter.  It was familiar, SG-1 familiar, and like a balm, soothing on her psyche.  Muscles she hadn’t even known were tense started to relax.

 

Walking in the big double doors, the team was greeted by the delicious smells of baking pizza.  Deep booths lined the walls, and tables were set in the middle under warm ambient lighting.  As a further touch, candles glowed from tabletops and tasteful posters adorned the walls.  Popular music played softly from hidden speakers.

 

“Party of four?” a woman wearing an apron greeted them as they walked in.

 

“Please,” Daniel replied, with a smile that the hostess returned.  As the woman walked ahead, carrying their menus, Jack elbowed the younger man in the ribs.  “Don’t start Jack,” Daniel hissed warningly.

 

“Start?” Jack asked innocently, “I’m not starting anything,” he denied.  Sam giggled and Daniel rolled his eyes as they arrived at their table, the woman placing their menus on the table as they sat down.

 

“’I’ll be right back to get your drink orders,” she told them as she turned away.

 

Sam realized that the woman had placed a child’s menu in front of her, the colorful paper placemat covered in games mixed with pictures of kid-friendly menu items, coming complete with a packet of crayons.  She turned in her seat to ask for a regular menu, but the waitress was already at another table.

 

“You ok, Sam?” Daniel asked from her left, looking up from his own menu.

 

She sighed, turning back around in her chair.  “She gave me a kids’ menu.”

 

Across the table, Jack narrowed his eyes at her.  “That’s because you are a kid,” he reminded her pointedly.

 

Sam flushed, looking down at the table and fiddling with her silverware packet.  “You can look at my menu if you want,” Daniel offered, and Sam gave him a smile, more than a little preoccupied.

 

“Actually, I was thinking we could just get a pizza for all of us,” Jack suggested instead.

 

“An extra large with additional pepperoni?” asked Teal’c.

 

“Sounds good,” agreed Daniel quickly.

 

“Yeah, ok,” sighed Sam, still focused on the tabletop.

 

“You know, if you aren’t going to use that menu, I’ll use it,” Jack told her, a hint of a smile lurking at the corners of his lips.

 

Sam looked up skeptically.  “Really?” she asked in disbelief.

 

“Yes really,” he replied cheerfully, spearing the paper placemat with his forefinger and turning it around so he could read the words printed on it.  “I mean, who wouldn’t want to help Jane find the right spaghetti noodle to lead her to the meatball?” he asked teasingly.

 

With a snicker, Sam slid the crayon packet across the table.  “Knock your self out,” she told him.

 

By the time the waitress returned to take their orders, Jack had managed to cajole Teal’c into a game of tic-tac-toe.  The woman looked only mildly surprised at Sam’s request for a diet cola, and promised to be back soon with their pizza.

 

“She likes you, Daniel,” Jack announced, marking an X in the grid he’d drawn on the back of the menu.  He groaned, as Teal’c marked his move, drawing a line through three neat O’s.

 

Daniel ignored the dig, and instead observed, “You know, I thought it was impossible to lose at a game of tic-tac-toe.”

 

“I let him win,” Jack defended himself.  When Teal’c looked disbelieving, doubtfully raising one eyebrow, he added,  “It was his first game.” Sam giggled, and Jack pointed a finger at her.  “Ah!  No giggling!”

 

She was saved from a response as their drinks arrived.  Their pizza was not far behind.  It was hot, filling and delicious.  Sam found herself full before she’d finished her second, albeit large, slice even though normally she was able to eat more, especially after a busy day like today had been.  No one seemed to find it unusual though as she pushed her less than empty plate away.

 

After they’d paid the bill and were getting up to leave, the waitress stopped by one last time.  “I hope you enjoyed your meal,” she told them with a smile.  Everyone offered his or her thanks for the good meal and friendly service, including Sam.  Then the woman surprised her by leaning over quickly and smiling broadly.  “Ooh, you are just too cute.  And so polite!  I’d love to take you home with me, you could teach my little boy some manners!”

 

Sam was too startled to make a reply.  It had been a long time since someone had told her how adorable she was!  She made no protest when Jack guided her out ahead of him, one hand on her back.

 

Above her head, she heard Daniel tell Jack, “See, it was really all about Sam.”

 

“Chicks dig guys with kids,” Jack countered.

 

Daniel threw his hands up.  “I give up!  You’re hopeless!” he complained.  Sam laughed, but her laugh was interrupted by a huge yawn.  Luckily, they had reached the truck, and Jack pulled the door open as he passed, as if sensing her fatigue.  Another huge yawn felt like it was splitting her face in two as tired fingers fumbled with the still unfamiliar connections.  She still managed to get situated though as the rest of the guys buckled up.

 

As the truck pulled out of the parking lot Sam reflected on the events of the day, laying her head tiredly back against the headrest.   Despite her earlier doubts and worries, she had been able to grow more comfortable with the major changes she’d undergone.  She was more confident that with the help of her team, she’d be able to take on her role in the upcoming mission.  Night had fallen while they’d eaten, and idly, Sam watched the passing flashes of light from storefront, streetlamp and headlight.  The motion of the vehicle was hypnotic and soothing combined with the familiar rise and fall of her teammate’s voices. After a brief battle to stay alert, Sam gave in to the demands of her body, her eyes sliding closed.  Just for a minute, she promised herself.  It was her last coherent thought that night.

 
End Notes:
A/N: Sorry for the long delay, but life’s been hectic.  I’ve been trying to find the time to post this chapter for days now.  As always, thanks for your comments.  I love to hear from all of you.
Chapter 7: A GOOD Plan by Iamdragonrider

 

As Jack parked, Daniel looked over at his sleeping teammate.  In sleep, her face was relaxed, without trace of the anxieties and worries of day-to-day life as an adult.  It was easy to forget that she only looked five.

 

“Sam, hey, wake up.  We’re here,” he called softly, reluctant to wake her, but knowing she’d probably rather go back inside under her own steam.  In the field, she would have woken instantly, alert for danger or ready to take over her turn on watch.  Now, she didn’t even stir.  He looked up and caught Jack watching him over the seat.  He shrugged helplessly.  “I think she’s good and out,” he reported.

 

“O’Neill, shall I assist Major Carter inside?” Teal’c offered, also peering over the back of the seat.

 

Jack shook his head.  “No, Teal’c, I got her,” he answered, unclipping his belt and sliding out of the truck.  Daniel and Teal’c did the same, the two men coming around to the other side.  Daniel watched as Jack frowned over the booster seat restraints.

 

“You know, this thing really is a pain in the… mikta,” the man complained, finally freeing the small occupant.  A faint frown had appeared on the sleeping face, but otherwise, she showed no signs of waking up.  Jack reached in, scooping her up and settling her so her head rested on his shoulder with practiced ease.  Sam sighed, shifting so that Daniel could see her face, and then relaxed, body going boneless in sleep in the way that only children seemed to possess.  Daniel blinked in surprise.

 

“Hunh,” Jack grunted, turning away so that Teal’c could close the door.  “I always thought only kids could sleep like that.  Maybe it’s physical?” he wondered, voicing the thought Daniel had just been thinking.  Teal’c looked interested, as they walked back on base and Jack continued his speculations.  “You three were the same way,” he observed.  “Couldn’t take you guys anywhere.  As soon as the engine started, you guys fell asleep,” he complained, his tone teasing as Daniel held the door open.  “Come to think of it,” Jack added, “Charlie was much the same way.”

 

Teal’c nodded as he stopped at the security checkpoint, presenting his ID.  “Indeed, Rya’c was greatly alike,” he commented, a distant but fond look on his face.  Daniel smiled, digging out his own card and retrieving Sam’s  from her back pocket,  Jack got his after leaning his burden on the counter to free one hand.

 

After they’d cleared security, Daniel led the way to Sam’s quarters, using her card to unlock the door.  He opened the door, flipping on the lights and leaving her ID where she’d see it when she woke up.  Teal’c pulled down the covers, and Jack laid his slumbering passenger on the bed.  He expertly removed the small pair of shoes, but stopped at that.

 

“Don’t think Carter will appreciate it if we change her into something more comfortable,” he said, pulling the covers up into place.

 

“No,” agreed Daniel, “She’ll probably be embarrassed enough as it is.” 

 

The three men retreated to the hall, Teal’c turning off the lights and pulling the door shut behind them.  “What was that, earlier, right after we got to Target?” Jack asked as they headed away from the room.  “Carter looked a little freaked out.”

 

Daniel wondered if he should tell them, but then decided that it wouldn’t hurt if the rest of the team were a little more sensitive to the adjustments Sam was trying to make, Jack in particular.  “She was a little overwhelmed by how much bigger everything seemed.” he said.  “You know, we’re all fairly tall.  It’s easy for us to take for granted the little things, like being able to reach something on a shelf, or simply get in and out of the truck.”

 

“Major Carter is very independent.” Teal’c observed, his gaze thoughtful.

 

“And she’s just been thrust into a role where she’s expected to be helpless and need assistance with just about everything,” Jack added.  “She’s not used to acting that way, and I’m sure that little incident at the store didn’t help matters much.”  He shook his head slowly.  “Is it just me, or do you think Carter’s going to have a tough time acting out her part in this mission?”

 

“Well, at least most people won’t look beyond her appearance,” Daniel pointed out.

 

Jack nodded, but it was clear that he was thinking of something else.  “She’s going to be around people that will be looking deeper though.  They might find she’s a bit odd for five,” he said, putting it mildly.

 

“I’m sure she’s already thinking about that, Jack,” Daniel returned, as the three men paused at the intersecting corridor that would lead them to their separate quarters.

 

“Will Major Carter not make the best efforts to remain unobtrusive?” asked Teal’c, looking from one man to the other.

 

“She’ll do her best, yeah, but this is Carter we’re talking about here.” Jack shrugged, as if that explained everything.

 

“What are you trying to say, Jack?” Daniel asked, rubbing his forehead wearily, too tired to try and figure out what his friend was trying to tell them in his round about way.

 

The other man shrugged and shoved his hands into his pockets.  “I’m just saying that maybe we need to help her work on her cover.”

 

Daniel exchanged a look with Teal’c.  “What do you mean?” he asked warily, eyes narrowed slightly.

 

Jack looked thoughtful, and then surprised them both when he smiled brightly.  “Oh, I might have a plan,” he hinted, and turned away.  “Look, I think I’ll turn in.  We can get the stuff that’s needed out of the truck in the morning.  I’ll see you two tomorrow, keep your day open,” he called, with a careless wave over his shoulder.

 

Daniel groaned as the other man walked away.  “Teal’c, why do I get the feeling that Sam isn’t going to like this plan of Jack’s?”

 

Teal’c tilted his head, showing his agreement.  “Indeed my friend.  We had best accompany them both.  Goodnight Daniel Jackson.”

 

“Night Teal’c,” he replied distractedly, brow still slightly furrowed, and decided the other two had the right idea.  Bed sounded like a good plan.  He had a feeling he’d need all the rest he could get to be ready for whatever it was Jack had in store for them tomorrow.

 
 

Awakening in her quarters left Sam with a feeling of disorientation that she hadn’t felt since that time on P3X-595 where she had drunk that stuff that made her…  Well to say the least, she had the same feeling of waking up with no recollection of how she had gotten there.  At least this time, she didn’t feel like her head was about to explode.  The last thing she remembered was getting back in the truck with the guys after dinner.  She remembered feeling very tired and as she pushed back the covers to find herself fully clothed, she colored as she realized that someone had likely carried her to her quarters.

 

Looking down at the wrinkled t-shirt she’d spent the previous day and night in, she changed quickly into the gray one.  She’d have to get the clothes they’d bought yesterday out of the truck.  Slipping her shoes on and pocketing the ID she found on her nightstand, she headed to the commissary.  After getting breakfast, she found her way to Daniel’s office again.  The young man waved a distracted good morning to her, returning his nose to his text.  She could hear him mumbling what sounded like French as he scribbled on his notepad.  The title showed the book to be one about lesson plans.

 

Topping off Daniel’s mug, Sam put on a new pot of coffee using the decaf grounds she found next to the machine.  She had to stand on her toes and stretch to put the filter and grounds in and fill it with water.  Soon though, she had her own mug, and settled down across from the archeologist to work on the things she’d brought with her.

 

Today though, they didn’t have as much time to work.  Jack appeared in the doorway about midmorning holding several bags.  Teal’c stood behind him, holding another.  “Here’s your stuff Daniel,” Jack greeted.  “Carter, Teal’c and I already put your stuff in your quarters, if you want to go change before we leave,” he suggested.

 

Putting down the latest data from the monitors on P62-45X left to observe the collapsing sun, Sam looked at her CO curiously.  “Where are we going, sir?” she asked.

 

Jack just grinned and looked smug. “Out,” he supplied unhelpfully.

 

Sam frowned, and Daniel rolled his eyes, loudly whispering to Sam so Jack could hear. “He has a plan,” he said, marking his place in the textbook and standing up.

 

“A good plan,” Jack corrected cheerfully.

 

“We will have a most enjoyable day,” supported Teal’c, looking keen to be off.

 

Daniel looked startled.  “You told him, but you won’t tell me?” he protested in a tone bordering on indignation.

 

“You would have told,” Jack informed him with a knowing look.

 

“Would not!” came the inevitable protest.

 

Sam grinned, and slipped out of the room as the conversation rapidly degenerated.  In her quarters, as promised, she found the bags of clothing.  She quickly changed into fresh jeans and another t-shirt, wondering what the Colonel had planned as she laced up her new shoes.  Jumping up, Sam headed back to find the guys, only to meet them halfway.  The argument between the Colonel and Daniel was still going on, despite having undergone a change of subject.  Currently, the younger man was waving his hands to illustrate some point.

 

Shaking her head in rueful amusement, she dropped back to walk with Teal’c.  “Hey, Teal’c,” she greeted.

 

“Major Carter,” he returned.  “I trust you rested well last night?”

 

She smiled.  “It’s Sam, remember?  And yeah, last night was good.  In fact, I don’t remember sleeping so well in years,” she told him honestly.  Teal’c nodded, both at the reminder and the information.  They passed through security to the elevator, all the guards greeting her by name and rank this time, completely unruffled it seemed by her appearance.

 

“So, where we going?” she asked, looking up at Teal’c when they were on their way again, trying to pump the large man for information.

 

“I have been sworn to secrecy,” he answered solemnly, looking amused at her disappointment.

 

“It’s a surprise!” admonished Jack, up ahead as they reached the truck.  “You’ll find out when we get there!” he promised, smiling winningly.

 

She shook her head slightly, unable to be too annoyed.  Pulling open the door, Sam saw that the guys had also installed the new booster seat.  This one was a medium blue with inserts of gray.  It looked very stylish, but it was still a booster seat.  Presumably, the awful pink one had been returned to Colonel Dixon.  Despite the new seat and needing to make a few adjustments, Sam found it easy enough to strap herself in.  And this seat at least didn’t have any hidden surprises or sticky spots to find.

 

Sam turned her attention out the window, trying to guess where they were headed, as Jack and Daniel continued their banter.  Even with her watching the way though, she was still surprised when Jack pulled into the nearby park, stopping in an empty place.

 

“We’re heeerrre,” the man announced cheerfully, unbuckling his seatbelt and out of the truck before Sam and the rest had even started to release their belts.  It still seemed to take twice as long as normal for her to release herself from the seat.  She jumped down finally, leaning back on her door to push it closed, and walked around to the back of the truck where Jack was already handing items to Teal’c and Daniel.

 

“You took us to the park?” she asked, leaving off the sir on the end at the last minute.  Still, Jack must have heard it, because he turned his full attention on her.

 

“Yes, Sam,” he answered with only light emphasis.  “Now, make yourself useful, and grab that last bag.  I think that’s everything.  That tree looks like a good place, let’s go,” he ordered, heading off with a cooler in his hands.  Teal’c followed readily with a canvas knapsack.  Sam wondered when the Colonel had had the time to put this trip together.  Daniel looked equally bewildered as he held a plastic bag with what looked like disposable plates and cups in it.  He waited until she’d boosted herself half into the back of the truck to snag the requested bag.  After she’d slithered back out, Daniel pulled the hatch down, shutting it.

 

“Sam!  Daniel!  What’s keeping you two?  I need that bag Sam!  Hop to it, on the double!” shouted Jack, his hands cupped around his mouth.  With a quick look at each other the two hastened to join the rest of the team.  Jack and Teal’c had claimed an area underneath the large tree; it’s leaves and thick branches shaded the grass beneath it from some of the late August heat.

 

Taking the bag as she arrived, Jack pulled out a folded gray military blanket.  With a flourish, he shook it open, spreading it on the ground.  “Take a seat you two, lunch is served,” he announced as Teal’c opened the cooler and started to hand out sandwiches and drinks.  Daniel reached into the bag he’d carried and passed around plates and napkins.  Sam settled on one corner of the blanket, surprised to realize she was hungry.  Everyone dug in, Jack had brought more than enough to go around.

 

After lunch, The Colonel looked at her.  “Well, now the real reason we’re here,” he said.  “Carter… Sam… it’s time you start thinking about acting like a kid,” he told her seriously.

 

“Actually, I’ve already been thinking about that, s-Jack,” she admitted, stammering slightly and just managing not to blush.

 

The man looked pleased and surprised.  “Great!  Than you won’t have a problem with what I’m about to tell you.”  He pointed to the nearby playground, where kids of various ages could be heard shrieking in glee.  “Go.  Play.  I don’t want to see you back here for at least thirty minutes.”

 

Sam blinked in surprise. “You’re kidding right?” she asked in disbelief.  Even Daniel looked taken aback.

 

“Nope,” Jack answered surely.

 

Teal’c stood up.  “I will accompany you, Samantha.  If I recall, you took great enjoyment pushing Cassandra on the swings when she was younger,” he explained to her startled look.

 

“You want to push me on the swings?” Sam asked dubiously, her disbelief only growing.

 

“An excellent idea,” Jack approved, and turned to dig in the bag Teal’c had carried, emerging with a bright blue disc.  “While you two kids have fun on the swings, Daniel and I are gonna toss the Frisbee around.”

 

“Jack!” Daniel objected, and Sam realized that the Colonel had distracted the younger man on purpose.

 

With a sigh, she got up and followed Teal’c.  The big man looked downright eager to check out the playground.  Trudging in his wake, by the time she reached the playground, he’d already selected an empty swing.  He stood behind it waiting for her.  Nearby, a woman pushed a young boy that looked to be about the same age as Sam looked.

 

Stopping in front of the swing, she looked up uncertainly.  “You sure about this Teal’c?” she asked.  When Teal’c nodded, she turned around, and seated herself, hands automatically gripping the chain.  “Wow,” she commented. “It’s been a long time since I’ve sat in one of these.”

 

“Are you prepared, Samantha?” Teal’c asked, and she nodded.  At her nod, the man pulled her back and up, and then he let go.

 

Sam yelped involuntarily as she experienced the long forgotten sensation of plummeting.  Before she knew it, she felt the slight jerk that signaled the end of the arc, and she was swinging backwards.  She felt Teal’c grab the swing, stopping her motion.

 

“Are you well, Samantha?” he asked quickly in concern.  “It was not my intention to startle you,” he apologized.


”It wasn’t you Teal’c, it just surprised me is all.”  She shook her head slightly.  “It really has been a long time,” she admitted again.

 

“Very well,” he replied.  “Shall we resume?” he asked, and Sam nodded.  This time, he did not release her as high, and Sam felt his hands against her back as she completed the first full swing.  As she made a second arc, she remembered how to lean and kick, her body already moving instinctively in the once familiar motions.  She had loved the swings as a child.  Thinking about it, she’d always wanted to fly, and swinging had seemed the closest thing at the time.

 

“You can push me higher, Teal’c,” she requested as she swung back after a third, really tame arc.  The man replied by pushing her much more firmly.  As she swung, the air whistling through her hair, she was surprised by the laugh that bubbled across her lips.  Teal’c seemed to find her response encouraging, because when she swung back again, she felt his hands meet her back with even more strength than the last push.  Another laugh joined the first, and Sam closed her eyes, leaning back as the swing went into its forward sweep.  It really had been a long time!

 

As she swung backwards, Sam enjoyed the almost weightless feeling and the memories it brought back.  Behind her she heard a sudden, heavy step, as if someone had stumbled, and then Teal’c’s hands met her back with surprising force.  Startled, Sam’s eyes snapped open as she slid to the edge of her seat and lost her grip on the right hand chain.  Before she could reestablish her hold, the swing jerked as it reached the end of the frontward arch, and Sam slipped off the seat as the swing went in one direction and she another, losing her grasp on the remaining chain.  With a cry, Sam looked down to find the ground rushing up at her with terrifying speed.

 

End Notes:

A/N: Look! Another evil cliffie! Muahahahahah!

Chapter 8-10 by Iamdragonrider
Author's Notes:
For the most up to date postings, please look for this story under the same penname and title at fanfic.net
Chapter 8: A Small Accident

Sam groaned, lying still as she ascertained the extent of her injuries. She'd hit the ground hard, and skidded at least several inches before training kicked in and she'd turned the graceless slide into a roll, ending up sprawled on her stomach. Nothing felt broken, but several points radiated a raw, fiery pain, and an odd breezy feeling around her knees told her without even looking that the material there was likely torn. Her knees were one of the areas giving off pain signals, but she didn't think they were damaged seriously.

"Major Carter!" Teal'c was already by her side, forgetting her public name as he gently turned her over.

"Ow," she said reflexively, more from surprise than from any pain. She reflexively drew her right arm against her body, fingers encountering tender, raw skin, though not the tacky sensation of bleeding. Her knees were another story though, and she winced as she saw the oozing visible through the nearly identical tears in her jeans.

Teal'c of course took immediate note of the gaping material and blood as well the way she had supported her arm. "You are injured," he declared, and then before she could protest, slid his arms around her, scooping her up off the ground and cradling her carefully against his broad chest.

"Teal'c! Ow, what are you doing?" she complained automatically. "I can walk, I'm fine. It's just scrapes and a few bruises, that's all." But her objections fell on deaf ears. Teal'c's face was grim as he jogged back over to where the rest of SG-1 was tossing the Frisbee back and forth. Sam dropped her head against the man's large muscled shoulder with a sigh as he shouted to alert the other men. "O'Neill, come quickly," he called, making a beeline toward some nearby picnic tables. "Major Carter is injured!"

The Frisbee flew ignored over Daniel's head as both men came running. They arrived as Teal'c settled her on the tabletop like she was something fragile that might break even more. "I'll get the first aid kit," cried Daniel, and Jack tossed him the keys without breaking stride.

"I'm fine, I just scraped my knees and bruised my arm, nothing terrible," Sam protested as Jack arrived at the table, but the Colonel had a no-nonsense look in his eyes that she recognized all too well.

"Let me be the judge of that," he told her gruffly. "Now, where does it hurt?" he demanded.

She sighed in defeat. "Knees, my right arm, and left palm," she reported resignedly. Jack made a quick but thorough assessment of each of the problem areas, making her demonstrate range of motion before he agreed with her early evaluation. Teal'c hovered anxiously, and Daniel arrived panting as Jack straightened.

"Is she ok?" Daniel puffed out to Jack, clutching the emergency kit.

"I'm fine," Sam answered testily, "Thanks for asking me," she snapped, tired of being ignored and fussed over like she couldn't handle such minor injuries. She'd suffered much worse in the line of duty. They were all treating her like a, well, child. She regretted her sharp words instantly though as Daniel looked confused and a little guilty. Flushing, she looked down at her lap, biting her lower lip.

Jack gave her a curious look, and turned to Teal'c. "What happened, T?"

"I pushed Major Carter with more force than I intended, leading to her fall," Teal'c admitted remorsefully.

"Teal'c, you were supposed to push her on the swing, not off it," Jack answered automatically in exasperation. Teal'c nodded in agreement, looking thoroughly dejected.

"It wasn't his fault. Teal'c, I heard you stumble," Sam protested, lifting her head, feeling the need to defend the man and wanting to show him she didn't blame him for what had happened.

"Your fall would have been prevented had I acted with more care," Teal'c told her solemnly, brushing off her attempt at making him feel better.

Jack immediately looked regretful about his quick retort, and went to the man's side, clapping the man apologetically on the shoulder. "Teal'c buddy, accidents happen to the best of us," he said, turning the other man away from the group and leading him towards the picnic blanket, obviously intending to give the big guy a pep talk.

Sam lost the reply Teal'c made as they walked away. She looked down at her scraped palm with another sigh, trying to rub some of the grit out of the superficial scratches, wincing slightly as fingers came in contact with the tender skin there. Everything had been going so well, and just like that, it completely unraveled in one blink of the eye. She was starting to think it was a lot harder being a kid than any of them had imagined.

"Here, let me," spoke Daniel, taking the seat next to her legs and making her look up from her contemplations. He gathered her small hand in one of his; cleaning it carefully with the antiseptic towelette he'd taken from the kit. Despite his gentleness, she still hissed involuntarily as the tiny scrapes stung.

Daniel's head shot up. "Sorry," he told her, his blue eyes full of concern.

"I'm the one who's sorry Daniel," she told him as he started on the long raw contusion on the underside of her right arm. That injury, though minor, was still scratched and bruised and would probably be tender for a few days. She sucked in another breath at the sting the antiseptic caused in the abrasion, and then rushed on. "I shouldn't have snapped at you."

Looking up from her arm briefly and giving her a lopsided grin, he replied, "It's understandable." Setting the used wipes aside, Daniel opened some more, nimbly lifting the torn fabric of her jeans away from the wounds on her knees. The scrape on her right knee was still oozing sluggishly, while the one on the left had already formed a thin scab, both held bits of dirt and grit, and she knew Daniel would be meticulous in their care.

"Still," Sam argued, tying to ignore the minor discomforts as her teammate tended her small wounds, "I shouldn't have done it." She bit her lip, going stiff as he cleaned the deeper of the two scrapes. When he finished, he removed some band-aids from the kit, looking at her thoughtfully as he opened them, and then turned back to the kit and got out some antibiotic cream that he slathered generously on all open areas before he looked back up at her.

"We all have our moments Sam," he told her pointedly with impeccable logic. "I promise not to hold it against you, if you won't hold the next time I say something you don't like against me," he said, pointing out in his way that they'd both said or done things to the other over the years that they'd each regretted, and likely would in years to come. "Deal?" he asked, one eyebrow cocked as he offered her his hand.

She smiled in relief, some of the tension from earlier draining out of her small frame. "Deal," she replied, taking the hand with her uninjured one and giving it a firm shake. Daniel grinned as he put the band-aids in place on her knees and she grinned back as she hopped down from the table.

Gathering up the used supplies, Daniel tucked the kit under his arm and the two of them headed to where Teal'c and Jack had wandered over to retrieve the abandoned Frisbee.

Sam reacted instinctively as her commander expertly sent the disc flying in their direction, jumping up and catching the object before Daniel had time to react, encumbered as he was with the first aid kit. She reflexively sent it spinning back toward them but Teal'c moved to intercept. The big man had to take several quick steps forward to catch it first. By that time, Daniel had left the first aid kit with their belongings and waved open hands, and Teal'c sent the Frisbee flying towards the man. Daniel just barely missed the catch, and by the time he'd retrieved the disc, Jack had moved far enough away from Teal'c to present a new target.

They spent the better part of the next hour tossing the Frisbee around. Sam found she had to make adjustments for her current height, but discovered that strength didn't make a lot of difference in gaining the right trajectory and distance. It was all in the wrist after all. Her injuries were negligible and did nothing to hamper her game. As a soldier, she was used to carrying on with much worse.

When they grew tired of the game and headed back to their blanket under the tree, Jack surprised them all by pulling several magazines and journals out of the backpack. He had something for each of them. No one was close enough to their group to notice that what Sam read wasn't for children, the pages filled with text and long technical jargon specific to her chosen field.

As the afternoon waned and the surrounding shadows lengthened, Daniel suggested dinner, and Teal'c made a request to visit the local movie theatre afterwards. Gathering their belongings, Jack requested a minor detour before they left the park. A slight gleam in his eyes, the man led the group back to the playground. The piece of equipment he led them to was currently empty of children.

"Just one slide Sam," Jack said with a wave of his arm, "and we can go." When she hesitated, the older man grinned charmingly. "Oh c'mon, you know you want to. If I wasn't too big, I'd join you."

Sam looked from the slide and back to her CO, who was practically glowing with boyish exuberance. The unusually long metal slide was built into a steep, natural slope. She vaguely remembered a similar slide near one of the bases she'd lived at as a child. In the end, she decided she had nothing to lose, and giving in would satisfy her commander much easier than an argument. She climbed the ladder, and after seating herself at the top, gave a push to get her going.

She'd never admit to anyone, but the slide had been another of her favorites when smaller, the longer and steeper the better. And so she was somewhat disappointed when her downward motion was sluggish, and she got partially stuck halfway, having to wriggle and rock her body to get herself all the way down where she got stuck again near the bottom. She decided to stand up and walk down the last few feet, jumping off at the end and dusting the seat of her pants.

Climbing the hill, Sam tried to hide her mild disappointment, after all the guys didn't need any further ammo. "It's filthy," she reported. "Kids must have been dumping sand on it and it hasn't rained enough to clear it." Despite her attempts, a note of complaint had crept into her voice.

Jack just grunted, squatting to dig for something in the backpack. "Here it is," he announced triumphantly, his hand emerging from the bag with a terry hand towel. "Go down sitting on this once or twice," he said, somehow making the suggestion sound like an order. Sam frowned slightly and Daniel looked surprised. Teal'c watched in open curiosity.

Saying nothing, Sam accepted the towel dubiously, and mounted the slide again. The second slide was much like the first, but when she looked up after reaching the bottom she could see metal shining through the dirty coating in a child sized track down the center of the slide. She shook the towel out, and trotted back, climbing the ladder again under her teammate's interested gazes. Honestly, she wasn't sure what was motivating her.

The second time with the towel had her moving much faster, and she made it all the way to the bottom in one smooth motion. This time when she rejoined her team she couldn't completely hide the slightly accomplished smile she gave them, and Jack presented her with something else he'd discovered in the bag, taking back the towel. "Here, try this," he suggested, a twinkle in his eye.

Sam held up the slightly wrinkled square, recognizing it as one of the wrappers from their lunch. "Wax paper?" she asked in puzzlement.

Jack just grinned. "You'll see," he answered, obviously amused she didn't immediately see the plan.

Her forehead wrinkled, Sam decided to keep humoring the man, sensing again that arguing would only prolong their stay. Once more, Sam went down the slide, this time on the paper. The paper seemed to slow her momentum slightly, but she was beginning to get an inkling of what the Colonel intended. To her teammate's obvious amusement she made a second run, like she'd done with the towel, and saw to her satisfaction that the clear path she'd made with her trips now gleamed in the late afternoon sun.

When she'd rejoined her team at the top of the slide, Jack held out a hand for the wax paper, unable to completely hide a faint look of wistfulness. While the slide was wide for someone at Sam's current size, it was on the narrow side for a full-grown adult body. "Ok, Sam, just one more time, and we can go if you want," he promised, his gaze moving nostalgically to the slide.

Sam wrinkled her nose, but she wasn't about to tell him that she'd intended to go at least once more. After all, why do all the work cleaning the slide if she didn't intend to use it again? This time, the trip was much more satisfying, and she rocketed down the slide, instinctively holding her hands out to the sides to better feel the wind rush around her body. She came flying off the end, expertly landing on her feet and knowing she was grinning but not caring. She jogged back, and without saying anything, climbed the ladder again. Her team was no doubt staring at her in astonishment, but the thought of one more trip was too tempting to resist. Besides, the slide really brought back a lot of memories, which would no doubt be helpful in developing the role she was to play on the upcoming mission. At least that's what she told herself as she whooshed past her stunned teammates.

"You sure you don't want to go down once more?" Jack asked temptingly when she'd rejoined them and started toward the truck rather than back to the slide. Sam couldn't resist one last look at the slide, hesitating. Several children, attracted by her repeated trips on the slide had lined up for their turns, and one child was already speeding gleefully downward. "We can wait," he further tempted, all three men looking amused.

"Well, ok," Sam agreed, pretending reluctance, and jogging over to join the rapidly growing line before she could change her mind. The third trip was just as exhilarating as the others had been, perhaps even faster as the ramp had been cleared even further from the additional bodies using it. Still... "Let's go guys, I'm starving," she announced as she returned to the rest of her group. They headed back towards the parking lot.

Looking over his shoulder at the now popular attraction behind them, Daniel frowned slightly. "Jack, I can't believe you had Sam wax the slide," he said, shifting the bag he carried.

Jack just shrugged, "We used to do it all the time with bread wrappers when my brothers and I were kids."

"Only you, Jack," Daniel muttered, "Only you."

"What?" protested the older man automatically with a slightly reflective look, "The other kids loved it," he defended.

"It seems a most enjoyable activity," observed Teal'c thoughtfully.

Sam smiled, suddenly feeling absurdly pleased with the outcome of the day despite it's few ups and downs... literally! "Oh, it is Teal'c," she told the big man truthfully, and Teal'c inclined his head towards her in acknowledgement.

"More fun than swinging?" asked Jack cheerfully, pouncing on her admission.

"Maybe," answered Sam somewhat sheepishly, ducking her head and entwining her arms and fingers with a little shrug as they came to a halt by the truck.

There was some more good-natured teasing as they loaded up the truck and drove to a nearby restaurant, but Sam didn't really mind. After all, how could she take it personally when the Colonel seemed to genuinely think they should build a playground big enough for adults to join in on? And then Daniel had added that he thought such an idea would be greatly popular among military families especially. Teal'c had joined in with comments about a place he'd read about in Baltimore, where the multi-story indoor gymnasium was built large enough that parents were actually encouraged to enter it with their children. The drive seemed much shorter with the spirited discussion, and even Sam found herself contributing to the conversation as they pulled up outside their destination.

This time at the restaurant, she didn't protest being given the kid's menu, and even played one of the games with Daniel who was sitting across the table from her. Teal'c, seated beside her, made sure he held his menu so that she could look it as well, but she surprised all of them when she ordered something from her own menu.

"I probably wouldn't be able to finish the full sized meal anyway," she explained with a half shrug after the waitress left to put in their requests. She took a sip of her diet coke as the guys blinked, and conversation resumed.

After their meal, they headed to the theatre. Looking over the various attractions showing, Sam and Teal'c both gravitated towards a poster for a recently released action packed blockbuster. Trailing behind them, Jack coughed, and tapped a finger against the glass, drawing their attention to the R-rating for excessive violence as well as language and sexual scenes. Sam colored as she realized that it might look a little odd for a five year old to attend the show. Not that it was unheard of, but none of them wanted to give that sort of impression.

Daniel pointed to an alternate show that Jack immediately rejected as being too dull. After a few more ideas, they finally all agreed on a comedy with a family friendly rating.

Stopping at the concession stand, they picked up popcorn, drinks, and candy. Sam reluctantly asked for ice water and eschewed the candy, deciding to heed Janet's warning about consuming too much caffeine and sugar.

As the movie played though, she wished she'd at least gotten a soda. Despite the amusing nature of the film, the dark theatre made her sleepy. Before long, fatigue won out and she fell asleep, her head resting against Teal'c's arm. She barely registered when the lights came up, only managing to protest sleepily when Teal'c gathered her up. Her objection proved pointless when she couldn't even hold her own head up, letting it rest against Teal'c as she dozed on the walk back to the truck. She roused enough to help the man with the booster seat restraints, and promptly fell back to sleep.

This time, when they got back to base, Sam woke, and was able to follow the guys in under her own power despite needing a little help from Daniel to untangle herself from the seat, limbs uncooperative with unaccustomed fatigue. General Hammond met them as they got off the elevator, looking like he was on his way out. His sharp eyes roved over each of them automatically, taking in their appearance as if to check for injury or anything amiss. His eyes lingered on her torn and dirty jeans, but he seemed satisfied when none of them looked worried or more than tired.

"SG-1," he greeted them. "I'm glad I caught you. I've been meaning to let you know that I've asked Sergeant Nichols to help Dr. Jackson and Major Carter with their cover stories. The Sergeant has some experience teaching elementary school students from her internship before she decided to enlist full time in the Air Force. I've relieved Sergeant Nichols of her regular duties so she can devote herself full time to your mission."

"So she can work with Carter in the morning while Daniel is in his faculty meeting tomorrow, and help Daniel when his meeting is over," Jack summarized quickly.

"Exactly," Hammond agreed. "Good night people," he told them and SG-1 returned the greeting as Hammond stepped into the elevator.

Jack looked around at the rest of the team. "Daniel, if it's ok with you, Teal'c and I can drop you off tomorrow, so we can get a look at the school, as long as you don't mind walking a block or so. Carter can come with when we pick you up after she's done with her morning session with Sergeant Nichols."

Everyone agreed and then split up going their separate ways, and Sam took herself to her quarters, barely managing to change before she fell into bed.

Chapter 9: A Little Reconnaissance

The following morning Sam spent working with Sergeant Nichols, getting a crash course in normal childhood development. They would be concentrating on skills of children just entering school, everything including cognitive development, motor skills, and even language use, covering just what things she would be expected to know and reviewing the curriculum taught in most kindergarten classes. While Sam knew that any accidental slips on her part would likely be ignored given her appearance, she still wanted to avoid drawing unwanted attention to herself, either for being perceived as especially gifted, or for not showing the proper grasp of necessary concepts. At least at first, she and the rest of SG-1 had decided she should try to be just another average five year old, with nothing to make her stick out from the other students in the class.

Colonel O'Neill found her sometime after lunch. Sitting on the floor in her quarters, she called automatically for the person knocking to enter. "It's unlocked," she said, focused on one sneaker clad foot pulled up in reach as she frowned in concentration at the seemingly elaborate knot she was tying.

"Carter?" Jack asked, staring down at her in puzzlement.

She looked up from her shoe. "Oh, hello, sir," she greeted distractedly, returning to the task at hand. "I'll be ready in just a minute," she told him.

Watching her for a few moments, Jack continued to frown. "You having a little trouble there Major?" he asked finally.

Having just tied a large, sloppy bow she looked up at him and blinked in surprise as if she had just realized he'd been watching the entire time. "Uh, no, sir," she answered hastily untying the messy knot. Efficiently, she tied the knot correctly and tightly, getting to her feet. "Sergeant Nichols told me I was tying my shoes too fast and too neatly for someone who probably just learned how to tie their own shoes. She wanted me to practice," Sam admitted sheepishly. "Is it time to go get Daniel?" she asked, changing the subject as she brushed imaginary dirt off her cargo pants. She'd chosen to wear her simulated uniform having taken some time that morning to attach her rank and unit patches.

Slipping off the slightly oversized button down shirt and draping it over a chair, she decided that the plain black tee underneath, unmarked cargo pants, and plain blue and white tennis shoes were non-descript enough, despite the fact that no one would likely think she was doing anything more than "dressing up" like someone in the Air Force. Jack had no doubt agreed with civilian dress, having already changed into loafers, khakis, and a plain blue polo shirt. While he'd never be able to fully hide the air of military bearing in or out of uniform, Colorado Springs was a military town. If you weren't active or inactive military, you likely knew or lived near someone that was.

"Ah," Jack replied to her explanation, and then shrugged it off. "If we leave now, we'll have a little time to wander around the school while we wait for Daniel," he explained. "Teal'c has a class to run for the latest recruits right now, but he got a good look this morning. The grounds are pretty large."

Sam nodded and the two of them made their way out to the surface. She only received a few surprised or curious looks from personnel that hadn't been there over the weekend, but most everyone treated her like normal, seemingly nonplussed to be giving the respect her rank garnered to what appeared to be a five year old child.

After she'd strapped herself in, the booster seat straps and buckles seemingly almost second nature now, they were on their way. When the Colonel pulled onto the school grounds, she looked out the window in surprise. "Wow," she breathed. She'd expected big, having done a bit of her own research, but seeing the place in person showed the school resembled something much akin to a college campus. Of course, considering it was a school for pre kindergarten all the way through twelfth grade, it would have to be fairly large.

"Yeah," Jack agreed from the front seat, guiding the vehicle along the long horseshoe driveway that looped around in front of a sprawling two-story brownstone building. Trees lined the path on either side of the drive, and landscaped gardens surrounded the building. To one side, trees created a shady, manicured wooded area, and in the distance behind the school she could see several well-maintained athletic fields near what appeared to be a large gymnasium, and many other free-standing buildings, their purpose not clear from her current vantage point. A large playground could also be seen not far from the largest building, the brownstone at the top of the drive, containing an extensive custom jungle gym complete with several slides, a miniature rock wall, and assorted other usual playground equipment. The location of the playground told her that the nearby building probably housed the classrooms for the younger students, which had the largest number of students per class. Class sizes shrunk somewhat for the higher grades, which was not all that unusual given that tuition also went up, a practice typical in most private schools of the like. A groundskeeper was running a lawn mower over the already neatly trimmed lawn, and several gardeners could be seen pulling weeds or trimming shrubs. It was clear from the outside at least that this school did not lack for funding.

"Teal'c and I think you and Daniel will be in that main building at the top of the drive Aside from the entrance in the front of the building, we found one on each side and two in the back," Jack told her over the seat. "We didn't get a chance to get inside, but we figured Daniel could give us the low-down tonight, the faculty meeting is in there." He slowed down and stopped at the opposite end of the drive, waving one hand back in the direction of some of the other buildings visible. "At least one of those outbuildings is a gymnasium, another is a library and multi-media center. The rest seem to be for the older students, and one is for the after hours daycare." Jack looked over the seat at her and she nodded, eager to get out for a closer look.

As if sensing her thoughts, Jack turned back out onto the main street, driving about a block or so and made another turn onto a shady residential street where he finally parked. "Daniel is going to meet us back here," he said, turning off the engine. The street was quiet, most people absent at work or on vacation the last week before school started.

Sam nodded, unbuckling her harness. "I've got topographical and detailed maps of the campus and found blueprints online this morning," she told him, jumping down out of the truck. "Walter is enlarging them for us, they should be ready tonight or tomorrow."

"Sweet," Jack replied, as they headed back towards the school. He didn't ask how she'd managed to obtain the schematics, and she was glad not to have to tell him. Going through the proper channels would have taken more time than they could afford as well as alerting the wrong people, who would have questioned the Air Force's interest in the school. Besides, she was confident that she had left no trace of her snooping at the architectural firm's system, and even if they had detected her intrusion, they'd never trace the signal back to her through the false trail she'd laid on a number of worldwide servers using the encryption program she'd written for just such a purpose.

The two officers strolled casually around the school grounds, and Sam made note of the various buildings and the exits the Colonel had mentioned as well as the fire escapes and any ground floor windows that might be used as entry or exit points. Jack also pointed out a chute above a dumpster in the back of the two story building. As an entry, the shaft looked to be too steep without the right climbing apparatus, but a slender adult or a child would easily fit in the case of a speedy retreat. Not that it would be very pleasant, but it was worth making a mental note while on their tour.

During the walk, the two slipped almost subconsciously into familiar roles, military training and years of working as a tight knit unit coming to bear as they analyzed and discussed landmarks, seeming to forget her current appearance. They began to put forth measures and counter-measures for possible attack and defense around the school, suggesting scenarios in a manner they'd done as SG-1 hundreds of times over the years before embarking on missions. At first, everything seemed typical, but so subtly Sam almost missed it, her CO began to become more detached. More than once, Sam caught the man glancing sideways at her, his expression hidden behind his dark glasses and low brimmed ball cap. She became aware of a gradual tension beginning to emanate from the man. On the surface, he acted as always, often inserting comments or jokes as usual into their discussions on strategy and counter-strategy. Outwardly, he seemed normal, so Sam wasn't sure she was reading him correctly, despite their long history together. For now, she chose to respond in kind, with her normal cool professionalism.

They widened their circle on a second circuit, studying the fences and making note of the two parking lots and their separate entrances. A third lot out of sight and screened by trees housed a utility shed and several maintenance vehicles. A large gate opened onto a back access road. They discovered a few out of the way places where SGC teams might be able to set up surveillance on the school, keeping an eye on comings and goings, and be able to respond quickly if she Daniel, or Teal'c set off the discreet emergency transmitters they'd be carrying, not wanting to risk much else.

Large athletic fields were scattered around the campus buildings, creating large open, flat areas that might be difficult to cross undetected, but were often broken up or separated by well-placed trees and hedges. Bleachers and seating added further places of concealment, for either friend or foe. Sam was already mapping out in her head the places, comparing them to the maps and prints she'd studied last night. SG-1 would have to spend some time going over the detailed printouts together, but when she looked up to say as much to her commander, she found him studying the back of the large lower school building, his mouth set in a grim line, and turned away, keeping her own counsel. Something was definitely bugging the man, but she decided now wasn't the time to find out. Nor was she sure it was her place to do so.

As they completed the second circuit, the meeting must have been breaking up because groups of people carrying notebooks or briefcases left the building by the side exit heading for the staff lot. They rounded the building where a few individuals left by the front door taking rides, and by silent agreement they both headed toward the front gate. No one seemed to think the two of them odd, in fact they'd seen several children playing on the playground watched by two women, and several older teens were using one of the tennis courts. In their civilian dress, no one paid them any mind.

Arriving on the tree-lined street where they'd left the SUV they quickly spotted Daniel, who stood leaning casually against a nearby light pole. He waved when he saw them.

The Colonel unlocked the truck and they all climbed in. "You should probably get your own ride to school from now on," Jack stated as he started the engine.

"Yeah, probably," agreed Daniel. "The General said I could borrow a car." The younger man was startled suddenly when he yawned.

"Long day?" asked the Colonel, noting how the other man shifted in his seat, as if trying to ease cramped muscles.

"Tell me about it," agreed Daniel. "All morning in meetings where I felt like half the discussions were over my head. Do you have any idea how tedious it is just to arrange chaperone duty so that around five to six hundred kids can eat lunch?"

Jack just grinned, his body relaxing, and Sam started to wonder if she'd only imagined the earlier tension she'd felt from the Colonel. "Now you know how I feel at briefings Danny-boy."

Daniel straightened and narrowed his gaze at the other man. "Hey! Now what's that supposed to mean?" he demanded a little defensively.

"You know what I mean," replied the older man uncooperatively.

In the back seat, Sam smiled ruefully and turned her attention out the window as the conversation in front rapidly degenerated, distracting her from her earlier musings. Honestly, sometimes the two men were just way too predictable. Sometimes she wondered how they'd never resorted to physical battles, but then she knew that just wasn't their way, the seemingly heated debates were just their way of blowing off steam. She also knew that Daniel often gave as good as he got, and if he wasn't up for a little verbal sparring with their team leader, he only had to ignore the other man's goading. The reality that he seldom did told her that Daniel enjoyed the matches as much as Jack did. In fact, the seemingly constant but generally good-natured bickering was one thing she'd missed most about Daniel's long absence the previous year. It felt good to have him back.

Watching the familiar streets pass by, Sam was surprised when the Colonel drove past the street that would take them to the usual entrance. Brows furrowed in puzzlement, she realized he must be planning to take them in by the side gate, but she had no idea why. The side gate would take them much further out of the way from the main complex. Neither man in the front seemed to notice Jack's detour.

"Uh, Colonel?" she asked, straightening up in her seat to be able to see Jack's eyes in the rearview, still covered as they were by the dark glasses.

"Just taking a little detour," Jack replied with forced nonchalance, avoiding looking at her as he slowed down at the gate, and Sam was reminded of the man's earlier sidelong looks when he'd thought she wouldn't notice. Warnings started to go off in her head. Something was up, and she was getting the feeling that she wouldn't like it. Daniel had noticed too and was giving the man a quizzical look as he passed over his ID. The guard gave both ID cards a cursory glance, his eyes sliding over her in the back seat. None of the soldiers stationed at this gate knew SG-1, so no one saw anything amiss with a child in the back seat. The guard waved them onward after returning their ID cards.

"Colonel?" she asked again, as the man turned onto another street that was most definitely taking them away from the main mountain complex.

"Maybe you should call me Dad," Jack suggested, still not meeting her gaze as he pulled into a parking lot. Sam looked out the window and realized they were at the base's hourly daycare center. The uncomfortable feeling of dread started to grow inside of her as Jack cut the engine and started to unbuckle his seatbelt. Daniel looked puzzled as he opened his door, but Sam remained motionless in her seat.

The two men got out of the vehicle, Daniel walking around from the other side to join them as Jack pulled open her door when she still hadn't moved.

"Uh, Jack, what are you doing?" asked Daniel, as she and the Colonel stared at each other in a silent contest of wills. Sam crossed her arms over her chest, effectively blocking access to the harness buckles. She had no intention of leaving the truck.

After a few more moments of staring, Jack broke eye contact, and then looked at Daniel. "It's about time that Carter here, I mean Sam, spends a little time getting used to the idea of being a kid and being around other kids," he explained, waving one hand in the direction of the facility.

Sam tightened her arms. "You can't make me go in there, sir," she said defiantly, a slight emphasis on the honorific. Technically, they were off duty as they all prepared for their upcoming roles in their undercover mission.

Jack removed his sunglasses, regarding her carefully. "No, I can't order you, and while I could carry you in there, I think this is something you should decide on your own. Don't you think it would be a good idea to have a little practice interacting with adults that don't know you and young children before you have to do it for real?" he asked seriously.

Some of her resistance crumbled, while a little voice still protested the idea vehemently. She couldn't believe she was actually considering that the idea had merit! Desperately, she looked over her CO's shoulder, meeting Daniel's eyes. Unfortunately, the young man looked thoughtful.

"I hate to say this Sam," Daniel admitted reluctantly, "but Jack's got a point." He frowned and shifted his stance slightly, pushing up his glasses. "You could think of it as a lesson in anthropology, you know," he suggested. "Childhood is to many extents it's own separate culture. You could use the time to observe how adults and children interact and children with other children. Being more familiar with your role will help you to stand out less."

"Oh sure," she returned. "And we know how well my lessons in anthropology usually go," she muttered even as she started to unbuckle her restraints. From a disastrous early mission that involved a hideous blue dress on a world where women were generally less valuable than horses to an atypical matriarchal planet were she'd come home owning Daniel to prevent him from being "acquired" by the local equivalent of the queen. The Colonel hadn't let either of them live it down for weeks. It hadn't helped that the two of them had been joined on their return by a length of lightweight gold chain from her left wrist to an ornate collar around the man's neck. The incident had fueled all the dirty jokes and gossip at the SGC until some time later when one of the members of SG-5 had come home engaged to the local village leader's daughter. Despite the incident, the anthropologist had never given up the argument that it was best to fit in whenever possible, going along with local custom. When in Rome as the Colonel often said. Despite those particularly outstanding failures, most of the time he'd been right, and perhaps that was the only reason she was now ignoring the shrieking voice in her head and getting out of the truck.

Jack looked slightly smug as he shut the door after she'd hopped down, but he didn't say anything as he led the way to the building, which was probably fortunate. If he'd made any customary wise remarks, she probably would have turned back around. As it was, she trudged reluctantly behind the SG-1 leader, Daniel following in the rear.

When they got inside however, Sam might have bolted if the archeologist hadn't been directly behind her. The noise of dozens of children engaged in various activities around the large colorful room made her want to shrink a bit inside herself. Painted characters paraded on the walls while shelves and floor space were scattered with toys, games and books for a variety of ages. Jack made his way surely to the check-in desk, casting a narrow look at her over his shoulder. The look was enough for her to firm up what little resolve she had and follow. She tried to tell herself to think of the upcoming task as just another mission. The Colonel was at least partially right, it wouldn't be long before she would be forced to leave the comfort zone of the SGC where everyone knew who and what she really was and be surrounded by people that would respond only to her appearance. Still, she didn't have to like it much.

"I'd like to enroll my daughter Sam here in the hourly daycare this afternoon," Jack was telling the woman at the desk, with a vague gesture in her direction. Sam could see via the cutout in the desk that the woman looked slightly bored as she passed over some forms.

"How long? We have several openings this afternoon," she said, flipping open a scheduling book.

"Oh, maybe about two or three hours, is that ok?" asked Jack, as he filled out the paperwork, not even glancing at her.

"Three hours?!" protested Sam automatically, her words cut off as Daniel bumped into her, coughing loudly. At the reminder, Sam reluctantly bit off further complaints, inwardly fuming, and suddenly feeling very confused.

The receptionist sent a mildly curious look in their direction, and then dismissed them as she turned her attention back to the Colonel. "That's no trouble at all, sir. Will you be staying on base? Good. Please remember that you'll need to have someone able to pick," she paused and looked down at the first form, "Sam up in no longer than twenty minutes if needed. If you need to extend the time your daughter is here you'll need to give us at least thirty minutes of notice to make sure we don't have any staffing conflicts." The woman continued with well-rehearsed rundown on the center's policies, ending with an explanation of some of the afternoon's activities as Jack finished filling out the papers. Sam barely heard anything the woman said, her mind locked onto the fact that it looked like she was going to have little say in the matter of staying here. Once he and Daniel left, she'd be stuck here until Jack decided to come get her. When she'd reluctantly agreed to go through with the plan, she'd thought she'd be there maybe thirty minutes, an hour tops. She should have known better, but still, she'd never have thought her CO would spring something like this on her so suddenly out of the blue.

Jack finished up at the desk, and turned away, gracing her with a brief glance while fiddling uncomfortably with his keys. There was an odd look on his face that she couldn't quite place, concentrating as she was on radiating her unhappiness. He seemed to waver slightly, but then seemed to firm up his resolve. "Behave, I'll be back," was all he finally said, and headed to the door without a backward look.

"But, you can't leave me here that long, sir!" she protested, trailing after the man, still not fully believing what was happening. She knew her teammates had all been adjusting to her new appearance; often reacting with a bit of over protectiveness, but this sudden about face of her CO was a major departure from everything they had been working on the past few days. They'd been easing slowly from a role of subordinate and commander into that of a child and adult, both fully aware of who and what she still was on the inside, but the Colonel seemed to have suddenly taken on the parental role he was to play in full force. "Dad wait!" she cried out in desperation, reacting instinctively on some inner level.

Jack paused momentarily, and without turning replied. "Yes, Sam, I can."

"Uh, Jack," tried Daniel, but Jack cut him off.

"Not now Daniel," he said gruffly in dismissal, lengthening his stride towards the door, and ignoring the curious looks sent his way.

Swinging her hopeless glance to Daniel, Sam watched as Daniel observed the retreating but determined figure of their leader, before looking down at her with an apologetic grimace. His concerned expression looked torn between his two friends. A short battle played across his face before he came to some decision "I'll see what I can do Sam," he promised, before hurrying to catch up with Jack.

"But," she said, trailing off as the heavy glass door swung shut. Briefly, she thought about following them, one hand resting on the glass. Something was going on, and she felt like she was caught in the middle of it, helpless to do anything to change it. She caught movement out of the corner of her eye, one of the attendants across the room having spotted her standing alone in the doorway, reminding her of the lack of freedom her new state caused. Still, she remained in the doorway, almost defiantly, watching her two teammates. They seemed to argue over something at first and then they got in the truck. She watched them pull off before she let herself be led away from the entrance.


"Jack! Wait!" Daniel called, but Jack acted like he hadn't heard him at first, and then he stopped next to the truck, fiddling with his keys again. "Jack, what was that about?" he demanded, arms crossing instinctively over his chest.

The other man didn't reply immediately. When he did look up his eyes were dark with some hidden emotion. "She needs to start getting used to things," he said.

Daniel narrowed his eyes slightly, frowning in concentration. "That's not it and you know it," he challenged, not willing to be diverted so easily.

Jack sighed, stuffing hands in his pockets keys and all, and turned his back on the younger man. "Seeing her standing there, so... annoyed, well, it just brought back some stuff," he admitted reluctantly, almost mumbling.

His frown only growing, Daniel studied the other man thoughtfully for a moment. "About the last time you mean, when we were all kids except you?" he asked intuitively. It hadn't been hard to notice that Jack had gone to great lengths to paint those few months in as positive light as possible. It didn't take a genius to realize that there had been no way those three months had been nothing but joy and sunshine, and equally as evident that Jack had no intention of sharing those less than stellar moments.

"Yeah," Jack replied, turning abruptly and sending the key home in the lock with a neat click. He paused again, looking down at the door handle and making no move to open the door.

"Jack?" Daniel prompted, sensing there was something more.

The other man's next words seemed torn from him reluctantly. "Earlier when Carter... when Sam and I were canvassing the school, well, it just sorta hit me that she can be in real danger on this mission."

Frowning, the younger man studied his long time friend before replying. "Yeah, but it's not like we haven't taken on dangerous missions before, and we knew that this one would be risky when we took it. Sam knew it too, when she agreed to her role," Daniel reminded gently, getting the feeling he was treading on thin ice. He would have to go carefully to get to the root of the problem.

Jack just shrugged, still not making eye contact, as he studied the door, one hand still holding the key in the lock. "I've never doubted Carter could handle herself in any situation over the years. But this... this is different. You saw what happened at Target," he pointed out, finally meeting the younger man's gaze briefly before looking away again.

All the final pieces finally fell into place in Daniel's head. "You don't think she'll be able to defend herself this time do you?" he asked. "You know Teal'c and I will be watching her back right?"

"I know, I know," the other man answered, shoulders slumping with a sigh. "It's just... well..." he trailed off, seeming to not want to finish the sentence he'd started.

Daniel on the other hand, had no such compunction, and felt the SG-1 leader needed to get this all out in the open, or it would keep hanging over all of them like a black cloud, possibly even jeopardizing the mission. "But you won't be there, at least not on location," he pointed out. Jack's eyes darted back, and Daniel fought the instinct to inhale sharply. This was it, Daniel had thrown down the glove and it was in Jack's hands now.

It was a long moment before Jack replied, tearing his eyes away from Daniel's challenging gaze. He took a deep breath. "No," he grumbled, the admission almost inaudible, "And that's all I'm telling you so you might as well drop it," he finished brusquely, jerking open the door with some finality, and turning his head to pierce the younger man with a hard look.

"Fine!" cried Daniel, frustrated and yet somehow triumphant and the same time. He knew when it was time to retreat, and was amazed he'd gotten as much as he had out of the older man. He walked around to the other side of the vehicle, but couldn't help one more question though, as he caught sight of something. "You sure this is the right thing to do?" he asked quietly as he got in the truck. Jack followed the younger man's gaze to find their teammate standing forlornly in the doorway, one small hand pressed against the glass.

"She'll be ok," Jack answered gruffly, tearing his eyes away from the sight and turning his attention to getting settled in the driver's seat. It seemed that whether the course of action he'd selected was the right one or not, the commander in him was committed to seeing it through, whatever the consequences.

Daniel's forehead wrinkled slightly, still watching the figure in the doorway. "Yeah, but still," he replied, "it just seems a little, oh, mean."

"Hey, you agreed it was a good idea you know," came the automatic rejoinder. "I seem to recall something about a lesson in anthropology." Jack speared the younger man with a glare, and then looked away while he started the truck, pretending to be absorbed in the task. "She agreed too, come to think of it," he pointed out defensively.

"That's not what I meant, Jack. Yeah, she needs to get used to things, but everyone is going to be taking away her right to make choices. She doesn't need us doing the same thing," Daniel explained earnestly, trying to make the other man understand the difference.

Jack just grunted as he backed out of the slot, but Daniel saw he couldn't resist one last look at the daycare center, and knew that on some level, the other man was considering his words. They both watched as one of the workers joined Sam in the doorway, and their small teammate looked away to exchange a few words. The woman took Sam's hand and led her away, but they saw her looking over her shoulder out the window, her gaze fleeting. Jack turned to look determinedly out the front window. "She'll be fine," he repeated.

"I hope you're right," Daniel answered with a sigh. He'd thought that SG-1 had come a long way to reconciling the new, albeit temporary situation they'd found themselves in, but obviously, they still had a long way to go.

Chapter 10: Daycare Doldrums

Sam had to strongly resist looking at the large wall clock again. She knew it would tell her it had only been five minutes since the last time she looked, which had only been five minutes from the time she'd looked before that. Earlier, as the employee had led her into the room, Sam had tried again to think of this like one more mission, a cultural exchange like Daniel had suggested. That resolve had lasted all of two minutes.

And then the singing had started.

She'd barely been here fifteen minutes and already she was bored out of her skull. The group of four to six year olds around her led by another one of the attendants launched into a third repetition of the song, "Bingo," boisterously clapping and chanting the unimaginative lyrics. Sam sighed, tightening her arms around her legs and resting her chin on her knees, unable to stop replaying in her mind the last few minutes before the Colonel and Daniel had left. Something was up. What, she had no clue. Yes, the Colonel had given in a few times to a bit of over protectiveness since her transformation, as had the rest of her team, but they'd all seemed to be working things out. Or so she'd thought. Obviously, something had changed, but the cause eluded her. She sighed quietly again.

Around her, the song ended and the woman leading the group changed the tune thankfully, but since Sam had about as much interest in singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" as "Bingo," let alone participating in the accompanying actions, she silently detached herself from the group of children as the youngsters eagerly stood up to join in.

With a bit of inward struggle, she managed to suppress her speculations about why the Colonel had acted the way he had, and concentrate on the here and now. Slowly, she wandered around the perimeter of the large room, for the most part, watching quietly and observing the various activities. Some of the adults smiled, and Sam returned them with a shy smile of her own, but was reluctant to join in any of the activities she could see going on in the room, from boisterous to quiet. Mostly, she just wanted to watch. Despite the large size of the room, Sam found that the child-sized tables, chairs, and other furnishing were much more welcoming than the now seemingly imposing items around her in her more familiar adult-sized rooms. She knew that is was just a change in her perspectives, because she had vague memories of thinking old classrooms had shrunk as she'd grown older, and as an adult, saw child sized things as tiny, even cute. Sam stopped her wandering, gazing into the room, trying to get a grasp on her new view of things.

"Hi," said a girlish little voice not far to her right, startling her from her thoughts. In surprise, Sam turned to find a small girl who looked to be about six or so smiling at her. She was seated at a small oval table surrounded by what looked like drawing materials. "Would you like to color with me?" the little girl asked.

Sam blinked, and sent one last look around the room. Well, it wasn't like she had anything better to do; at least not until the Colonel decided she'd been here long enough. "Ok," she replied with a half shrug, and joined the girl at the table. The child didn't seem to notice her hesitation; she just smiled and shook her head in an unconscious gesture to settle her long brown hair. Silently, she pushed a piece of paper over in front of where Sam sat, and then moved the plastic tub full of crayons to where they could both reach it.

The other child picked up her temporarily discarded crayon, and bent back to industriously coloring her picture of what looked like a house and a family complete with trees and a smiley-faced sun. "I'm Katie," the little girl told her in a matter of fact tone. "I'm six. What's your name?"

Frowning slightly, Sam looked at her blank paper for a few moments before replying. "I'm Sam. I'm... five."

"You must be starting kindergarten," Katie replied wisely. When Sam nodded, Katie continued. "You're just a baby then," she informed Sam. "I'm going into first grade. My mommy said that first grade is for big boys and girls." Katie glowed with pride.

Biting back an automatic retort, Sam pulled a crayon out of the tub and started to color on her paper with it. Not really sure what to draw, she placed the yellow crayon against the paper, idly forming it into a round, yellow disc. Next to her, Katie continued to enumerate the benefits of first grade over kindergarten.

"Mommy says I'm going to be able to read real books this year. Oh, and I won't have to take naps anymore." Katie exchanged her crayon for another. "Naps are for babies. Say, you draw really good, are you sure you're only in kindergarten?"

Looking at her paper in surprise, Sam studied the drawing, and then she shook her head. "Pretty sure," she replied. No one had complemented her artistic abilities since, well since she'd been in elementary school. No doubt the standards were a bit lower now in her present state.

"You've never been to school before?" Katie asked seriously, still pursuing her line of questioning.

Sam frowned, wondering what the girl saw in the half formed images drawn idly on the paper sheet. "Not really," she answered.

"Preschool doesn't count. My baby brother Matthew is in preschool, and he doesn't know anything." Sam ducked her head to hide her smile as Katie launched into a diatribe about annoying little brothers. With half an ear, Sam let Katie prattle on while she absentmindedly colored, occasionally inserting comments when it was required, most of her mind devoted to her recent speculations and observations. For her part, Katie didn't seem to mind the mostly one sided conversation, and Sam listened as the little girl moved on from annoying brothers to the outfit she was going to wear the first day of school, to the new backpack and lunch box she'd picked out, to talking about her favorite cartoon.

Eventually, Katie grew tired of coloring and stood up. "I'm done coloring," she announced, "Let's go play dress-up." The little girl flounced off across the room before Sam could reply. Halfway to her goal, Katie stopped and turned around, small hands braced on hips. "What are you waiting for Sam?" she asked. "C'mon, I'll even let you be Cinderella."

Returning her crayon to the tub, Sam sent a fleeting look at the clock on the wall behind Katie. She'd barely been here more than an hour, and somehow she doubted that the Colonel would be back anytime soon, with or without Daniel's attempts to persuade him. There had been a determined set to his features she recognized all too well, despite the glimpse of an odd expression she hadn't been able to place before he'd turned his back on her. But thinking of that brought her back to her commander's sudden and unexpected behavior, so with a sigh, she abandoned her train of thought, moving to join Katie in whatever diversion the young child might provide.

As soon as Sam got up from the table, Katie turned around and skipped the rest of the way to the dress-up corner, which was furnished with a mirror, benches, and a large trunk. By the time Sam joined her at a more sedate pace, the other little girl was already digging in the big chest, mumbling as she tugged out some items and discarded others. "Here it is," she crowed suddenly, pulling on something. Straightening, Katie turned and thrust a bundle of fabric into Sam's arms. "Put that on," she ordered, and turned back to the chest to pull out something else. "I'm going to be the fairy godmother," she said smugly.

One eyebrow raised at the little girl's bossiness, Sam shook out the child-sized dress she'd been handed. The little dress was plain, despite a glossy sheen, white with turquoise highlights.

"What are you waiting for Sam? We haven't got all day," complained Katie as she emerged from the trunk with a more ornate frilly pink dress covered in layers of taffeta. Without hesitation, the little girl pulled on the dress over her clothes, and turned back to the trunk. "Now I just need to find my tiara and my wand," she explained seriously. "Hurry up and get dressed so you can play with me."

Sam narrowed her gaze at the child and then suppressed a sigh after reminding herself that Katie was just a child, and she was here after all to practice interacting with her new, albeit temporary, peer group. She pulled the slightly wrinkled dress over her head and the material fell to the floor, hiding her shoes. What was it with her and blue dresses anyway? The guys would be having a field day if they saw her now. She moved to stand next to the little girl, and peered doubtfully into the trunk as the child continued to rummage.

After a few minutes, both the tiara and the wand were located. "Now, the evil stepmother has told you to scrub the floors, so you should do that, and I," said Katie, waving the wand with what she must have thought was a dramatic flourish, "as your fairy godmother will come to whisk you away to the ball."

The minutes trickled by, and Sam tried not to watch the clock too closely. Not far from the dress-up corner, another sing-along started, and Sam decided that Katie was the lesser of the available evil choices. Sam knew she could slip away and try to find something else to occupy herself with until the guys came to pick her up, but she was here to observe. And Katie seemed to enjoy playing with her, even if she didn't ask for opinions very much. Sam also thought that refusing to play with the child anymore would probably hurt the little girl's feelings. Katie, despite her outgoing and sometimes bossy personality seemed to radiate loneliness, likely related to the fact that she'd just moved here this past summer when her father was transferred.

Unfortunately for Sam, Katie seemed to prefer the dress-up corner most of all. Even though Sam managed to pry the girl away for a short game of Candyland, Katie dragged her right back over to play dress-up again. The girl seemed to prefer the dresses, the frillier the better. Of course, that would be when her ticket out finally arrived, and Sam looked up after donning the latest, and probably frilliest, of the dresses to find a very amused Colonel looking down at her.
End Notes:
I am no longer posting this story on Helio and SG-1 Littleverse at the same rate as I am posting on FF.net.  If you want the most current chapters, please look for this story under the same title and penname on FF.net, otherwise I will be posting several chapters at a time on this site and SG-1 Littleverse.
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=4353