Login

Family von Jessie Carter-ONeill

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Family

Family

by Jessie Carter-ONeill

Summary: They've found Jessie's parents. What happens now?
Category: Crossovers, Drama, Filk/Song, Hurt/Comfort, POV, Romance, Series, Thoughts
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, language, minor language, rape, violence, none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-25

"My POV"

I just wanted to sleep. I was so tired. Even with Jack jostling me around, I was almost asleep by the time we reached the briefing room. He sat me down in a chair between him and Sam. Sam reached over and took my hand as I tried to curl up, but it's not easy with a brace on. So, I just slumped and dozed.

"What's up, doc?" asked Jack. I opened my eyes and giggled slightly. He turned and grinned, waggling his eyebrows at me. Then he saw the fever in my eyes and caressed my cheek with his palm. I could see that he was worried about me. Then he reached down and took my other hand.

Janet took a deep breath. "We found her biological parents."

Five words. Five simple words and my world came apart. I wasn't going to be adopted. My hopes of finally having a family disappeared.

"What?" Jack asked in a strangled voice. Sam choked on a sob. Their hands tightened around mine. They both moved closer to me. They weren't giving me up without a fight.

"You remember I mentioned the protein markers in her system?"

They all said, "Yes."

"Well, come to find out, it's hereditary...from her mother."

She turned to me. "Do you know who your parents are?"

I shook my head weakly. My head was beginning to pound, tears sliding silently down my face.

"During the examination of her blood, we also found that she has a different set of protein markers in her blood. These we believed were from her father. So, to test a theory, we ran a DNA test."

"And what did you find doctor?" asked General Hammond. Jack and Sam were getting impatient.

Janet took a deep breath. "Her parents are here...on the base."

"Well? Who are they?" Jack demanded. "Why in the hell haven't they come forward?"

She tried to stifle a grimace. "Apparently, they have no clue that she is their daughter." She paused for dramatic effect, her lips set in a slight grin.

"Now, how is that possible?" asked Jack, not believing her.

"Why don't you tell me? You and Sam are her biological parents."

Daniel and General Hammond laughed out loud. Teal'c tried to hide his grin.

"What? How in the hell is that possible?" Jack asked squeezing my hand.

"I agree with the Colonel. I think I would remember having a child...with him."

He cocked his eyebrow at her. She just shrugged her shoulders. "Not that I wish it weren't true angel," she said tucking a stray hair behind my ear. I couldn't even find it in me to return her smile. I just looked at her with sadness in my eyes. Yep. I said it before and I'll say it again...my life simply sucked. I looked away.

She started to say something as a bright light filled the room. "Perhaps I can answer that, O'Neill...Major Carter."

Jack's hand tightened around mine. He could feel the slight tremors in my body as I shivered again. He reached around me and pulled the blanket tighter around me and kissed me on the forehead.

(Jack who's that?)

(Thor)

"Thor," said Jack aloud "whatcha doin' here?"

"O'Neill. You asked how she could be your daughter. I can give you the answers you seek."

General Hammond looked from Thor to Jack. "By all means." he said.

"A few months ago, you and Major Carter were trapped on board A Goa'uld' ship."

"We know that." said Jack, sarcastically.

"When the Asgard realized this, we transported you both to our ship."

"Yep. Don't remember much about that actually." said Jack.

"You were both severely injured. We healed you. In the process, we came to realize that the two of you had a specific genetic makeup. Major Carter's blood contains the protein markers left from your blending with Jolinar. O'Neill, your genetic makeup is enhanced due to the knowledge of the Ancients being downloaded into your brain."

He paused and looked at me. "We decided to combine the two bloodlines."

"Combine the...how?" asked Jack.

"Well, we tried to combine the DNA by cloning, but that failed miserably."

"Wait a minute." interrupted Sam. "Exactly how long were we on your ship?"

"Three of your years."

"But, that's impossible. We were only gone a few days." exclaimed Jack.

"We were trapped in another galaxy with no way to get back at the time. The two of you became very close."

"But, how did...oh..." understanding dawning on Jack's face.

Sam blushed. "So, you...we...conceived a child....together?"

"That is correct. After the child was sixteen of your months old, we sent you back to only a few days after your rescue. You tried to fight us, but we needed to begin testing the child's abilities as soon as possible. That could not be done with the both of you there. We modified your memories to match the timeframe. We believed that we would be able to provide for the child. Unfortunately, we were mistaken."

"So, let me get this straight..." said Jack angrily. "You rescued us, we fell in love, conceived a child, had the child, loved the child, and then you took her away from us? You took her away from those who would love her; keep her safe?" His grip on my hand tightened to where it was almost painful.

I must have made some noise because he turned to look at me. I saw pain and anger in his eyes before he jerked his hand away from mine and stood. I knew it was directed at me. I pulled the blanket around myself and tried to hide. I think Sam noticed the pain in my eyes because she pulled me closer to her. But, the damage had already been done. I let the tears fall. I didn't care anymore. He was angry at me...he hated me.

Why does this stuff always happen to me?

Jack turned to Thor. "Why?"

"Because this child will help to defeat the Goa'uld. She is genetically enhanced with abilities beyond our own and beyond that of the Goa'uld."

"She's just a child!" yelled an angry Jack as he stood. "Do you know what she's been through? Do you?"

"Unfortunately, after we sent you back, we were unable to care for the child."

Jack interrupted angrily, "The child has a name. Her name is..."

Thor interrupted. "Jessica."

Jack's jaw dropped. "How did you know that?"

"Major Carter named your daughter the day she was born. Jessica Caitlin O'Neill...Jessie is her nickname...which you gave her O'Neill." He looked at Jack and Sam. "After we sent you back, we were unable to care for her. We sent her back, meaning to send her back to the exact point we did you. We were going to return your memories of her and return her to you. However, a solar flare from your sun caused our ship to go back in time, six years, instead of three. Now, what you do with her knowledge and her power is up to you."

"This is bullshit. You fucked up and we're left to pick up the pieces, huh?" said a still angry Jack. I guess he'd forgotten I was still there because I think that's the only reason for what he said next. "We're expected to pay for your mistakes."

I gasped out loud and General Hammond stood up, "Colonel O'Neill!"

He blinked and remembering I was there, turned to me, pain in his eyes. He suddenly realized what he had said. "Oh shit. Baby, I'm sorry. I didn't mean...." he started, reaching his hand out to me.

"Dad," I cried softly and then orbed out.

----------------------------------------

"Jack's POV"

"Jessie!!" screamed both me and Sam.

Thor spoke up, visibly shaken. "We are keeping her confined to this base. It is taking all of my energy. She may be very young, but she is already extremely powerful. We will return your memories to you now." A bright light filled the room and two beams settled on our heads.

We both sagged as we received the memories of Jessie's conception and birth. The love we felt for her and the joy we had by having her with us returned like a flood. I remembered that her first word was `dad' and that Sam taught her to crawl and I taught her to walk. I remembered feeding her and bathing her. God! How could I forget this? I grabbed Sam by the hand and we headed for the door. "Come on. We've got to find her."

I heard Thor say, "I do apologize for this. I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction." He transported out.

"General Hammond. Should we not follow O'Neill and Major Carter?" Teal'c voice carried.

"No, Teal'c. Give the three of them some time alone. God only knows what is going to happen now."

----------------------------------------

(My Quarters)

"My POV"

Jack threw the doors to Sam's quarters open. "Jessie!" he yelled, running into the room, Sam not far behind.

I huddled on my bed sobbing and tried to orb. "Leave me alone! Why can't I orb outta here?" I cried and hit the wall with my elbow.

Jack grabbed me by the arm to keep me from hurting myself and turned me to face him. "Stop it! You're hurting yourself!" he said.

"I don't care! Let me go!" I screamed at him and banged my head against the wall.

"No! I'm never letting you go! Stop it!" He pulled me into a fierce embrace, as I struggled against him.

"Let me go!" I screamed.

"Thor is keeping you from orbing out. He's keeping you here...where you belong. You belong here baby...with us." said Sam.

I just shook my head, letting the tears fall, sagging against Jack. "You lied to me. Not wanted! Why didn't you just let me die! You don't want me!" I sobbed.

Jack rubbed my back in slow circles, trying to calm me down, even though he was shaking too...they both were. "We do want you..." he said as his voice broke. "We do want you."

"No you don't! I'm a mistake. I shouldn't even be here. You said so yourself." I said accusingly, still struggling against him.

Jack took a shuddering breath. "I'm so sorry I said that, baby. I didn't mean it to come out that way."

I just shut my eyes and shook my head and quit fighting him. He was just too strong. "You don't want me. You don't love me."

He continued. "I do want you...I do love you. The only mistake is that we didn't get a chance to know you...to raise you."

"But, you're mad at me. I saw it in your eyes." I insisted.

He pulled back from me and held me at arm's length. He let go of my arm and brushed away a tear. "No, baby. Not at you. For you."

I jerked out of Jack's grip and leaned against the wall, closing my eyes against the unbearable pain and emptiness building inside. I could feel the walls going back up. I wasn't going to be hurt...I wouldn't let them hurt me. But, I couldn't say anything. I sat there with my one knee tucked under my chin.

"We're angry for you, baby." said Sam, sitting on the bed.

Leaning up against the wall, Jack ran his fingers through his hair before answering. "I'm angry because you went through hell...a hell you didn't have to go through. I'm angry because you were taken from me...from us."

Sam put her arm around my shoulders and hugged me. I don't know why I didn't move away from her. I just couldn't. Even through the pain I felt safe in Sam's arms. "I'm angry because all of the pain you've gone through could've been avoided. I didn't get to sing to you...to hold you...watch you grow up." I felt the tears from her eyes drop onto my hair.

Jack turned his face away from me. "I lost my son - your brother - Charlie a few years ago. I never thought anything could hurt that much." He turned to me with tears in his eyes, utter desolation in his eyes. "But, this does. This does." He reached for me, but I jerked away because of the pain in my chest and I was finding it really hard to breathe.

He let his hand drop and he looked down, shaking with barely contained emotions. "I'm so sorry. Please baby. Please don't hate me. Jessie, please." he begged.

I couldn't breathe. I sat there for a few moments. I really didn't know what to do. But, he was my father...I think we'd all known that the whole time. We'd felt the connection. That helped me make my decision. I put my hand on Jack's chin, turning his face to mine. "I don't hate you. I love you...dad," I said softly.

The dam broke and he crushed me in his arms. He sobbed uncontrollably. "I love you, baby." He held me as we both cried and then he reached for Sam. She put her arms around both of us. Even through my fevered haze, I could feel the walls coming down again. I was scared, but I was safe.

Chapter 7 Family

- 1 -

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jessie Carter-ONeill