Another World von KHardt

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
  

The past few days have been a whirlwind. They gave her some downtime and now Buffy was bored, very bored. When they left her alone the next day, she had way too much time to think. She did not like to think, she liked to imagine she was more of an action person.

They did not know what to do with her, they wanted her to help them defeat the Wraith but at the same time they wanted her never to leave Atlantis so they could keep her safe. So she has not been approved for travel through the gate, they want her to go through combat training or some such nonsense; she was the Slayer for heaven’s sake and has been in training for the past ten years. But it was not Atlantis training, they told her, like killing the Wraith was any different than killing any other demon. So she had time to kill.

The Chosen One of the Universe; great, now she had even more responsibility thrust upon her. How she was ever going to live up to their expectations she’ll never know. She had always been told she was special, even as a little girl, her mom told her she was destined to do great things, like maybe a lawyer, doctor or even President, but being the Chosen One of the universe was probably not what they had in mind. If she could only see her now, would she be proud or horrified.

The only one she saw was Ronon. He was great, he helped fill her time with tours of the city, meals together in the mess hall, and he even took her running. It was fabulous to exercise the excess energy that had been building up in her since she learned of her new title. She had to take it easy with him, even running full steam ahead Buffy could still run circles around him. Not that she ever let him know that, she did not want to hurt his feelings.

He was an odd but cute one; and he was the closest thing she had to a friendship here. He has stood by her side through everything and has never let her fall. She liked that, he was a rock and she thought, rocks could be very appealing, especially rocks in the shape of Ronon. She tried not to think of him too much. He was starting to be very, very good friend, she felt a connection with him from the moment they met. She did not know where they were going but she was looking forward to finding out.

She needed to stop it, stop thinking about Ronon and start worrying about what she was supposed to do as the Chosen One of Atlantis. She had a sneaking suspicion that the companions were John and his team, definitely Ronon because of their strong connection. She needed Rodney to figure out what was on the crystal, because on it was where they find out what they had to do to defend the city from the Wraith.

Rodney sent several of his scientists to check out the areas that she opened and he would let them know what he found. She knew some of the areas were still locked and they could not gain access, but she figured he would call her when they wanted to gain entrance, cause she was the only who could open the doors. He also spent the past few days going over the data from the crystal himself, he would not let anyone else touch, he no one else was qualified.

So when she got the call that his report was done, she was practically dancing for joy, yes something to do, no more boredom. She had the briefing this evening to find out what was on the crystal, so she had better stop thinking or she was going to be late.

-----

Buffy entered the room late and a little breathless from running, because she got lost again, she should have asked Ronon to escort her here, it would have been so much easier. She plopped into her seat, and with arms folded on the table she put on her, I can be serious about stuff, face.

“Ok I have some good news and some bad news, well it’s all good depending on how you look at it,” Rodney started the meeting.

“Ok, the data crystal has five different addresses on it, something about getting the power,” he rummaged through his papers on the table, pulling one out, compared the paper with his laptop, “Ah yes here it is, “With these five, the one must find the power”, see we need to go to each one, maybe there will be a power source for Atlantis, on the planet for us to find,” Rodney rubbed his hands together with glee.

“With our resources limited and equipment down, I can’t risk sending the team onto an unknown planet,” Elizabeth reasoned.

“But we have to go, if there is a chance to increase the energy potential here, our earth equipment won’t be needed because we will have access to Atlantis’s equipment, you know, the ones in sitting in storage because we don’t have the ability to run them,” he reasoned right back.

“That’s the good but you said something about the bad,” Elizabeth asked.

“Yes the bad, um it does not say where the power source is on the planet,” Rodney shrugged sheepishly, “See we have to find it, that’s the bad, but when we do Atlantis could be back at full capacity, and see, that will be good.”

She looked over at Buffy, “You have something to add to the discussion.”

“No I don’t, I only know what Rodney just told us, besides I just found the thing, he’s the one who can read it, but I know one thing, you can’t pass up the chance to get new batteries for Atlantis,” she spoke in her best, I am the Slayer you do what you’re told, voice. She hoped it would work.

Rodney and John were flashing those sad puppy dog eyes at Elizabeth and she had to be strong. She could not, no wait, would not send them into unknown danger, they were much too valuable to Atlantis to risk. But on the other hand, if they don’t get a new power source soon there will be no Atlantis.

“I can see your point and I have no choice but to say,” holding off to see if the puppy eyes would mist over in disappointment, “Yes, you have a go for the first address, we will wait and see for the others, you can go tomorrow,” she ended the meeting, signaling to John for him to stay.

The rest of them all followed a very happy Rodney out the door, John sat thinking, how come every time I have to stay after like I’m in trouble, being the military commander was a rough job but somebody has to do it.

“I am still leery about sending you to an unknown planet, but Rodney seems so sure there is a power source there,” Elizabeth frowned still unsure of her choice.

“Rodney knows his stuff and I believe him, besides he is almost always right but don’t tell him I said that or we will not be able to fit his head through the stargate. If he says it’s there then it probably is,” John’s reply had full faith in Rodney, “I would also like to have Buffy go with us; she is the one who got us the addresses so she should go too.”

“No, I can’t authorize it, you know that, we already discussed this matter, she has to go through training protocols, I can’t send her out without her being able to defend herself,” she restated her earlier decision.

“Oh, I think she is perfectly capable of defending herself and Ronon said she could probably kick my ass, well not so much said but he did grunt when I joked with him about it,” John said thinking back to Ronon’s incredulous look when he asked if Buffy could fight.

“I will think about it after she has passed everything, and when you get back from the planet in one piece,” she waved him out of the room because she had to get back to paperwork.

 

@@@@@

 

They were geared up and ready to go to the planet, the first one on Buffy’s list. Rodney was practically dancing, he could not wait to get his hands on a possible power source for Atlantis, “Come on gate dial faster we need to go,” he was imitating River Dance in his impatience.

The wormhole was established, they were going in blind, with their equipment down and the urgent need for more power, they had to take a chance that all will go well. Elizabeth waited on the balcony to say good luck, when Buffy came rushing into the room, fixing the straps on her new uniform.

“Hold up, I’m ready to go when you are,” Buffy said a little breathless adjusting the knives strapped to her legs. Strapped on her back was a sword, it was huge but it seemed to fit Buffy and she was very comfortable wearing it.

John just shook his head, he looked at Ronon, who shrugged, “Yes it is mine, she needed a weapon but do not worry, she can handle it.”

“Ok Buffy, just don’t point that thing at me,” John replied knowing that she could probably handle herself.

“Wait a minute you can’t go yet you have not been authorized for off world travel,” Rodney complained upset they were not leaving.

“Oh I forgot to tell you I’m the only one who can get the power thingy, only the Chosen One can find it, the old man said so,” Buffy smiled smugly, knowing that they would have to let her go.

John looked to Elizabeth; she gave him a look that said what can you do, and we will discuss this when you return safely. With a nod and a wave of her hand she sent her team through the stargate.

-----

They stepped on to the planet; what a rush, that was so cool, Buffy thought, she did not pay attention to the last ride, she had better things to think of like staying alive. The woods surrounding the stargate were serine, beautiful, trying to lull the newcomers into a sense of comfort. Buffy knew this to be not so, there was danger, from what she did not know, only that her gut was rumbling again.

“Stay sharp, I feel danger, where I don’t know but it is there,” she started to scan the forest.

“Rodney what have you got, anything?” John asked.

Checking his scanner, “Faint energy readings that way,” he pointed to the darkest path between the trees.

“You would have to point that way, Rodney. Ok everyone, stay alert for well, anything, fan out let’s go see where the trail leads,” John started walking towards the dark trees, taking point with Ronon bringing up the rear, everyone else fell in between.

The path was dark, the leafy overhang from the trees created a cocoon and with the temperature as hot as it was, the cocoon was a sauna, where no breeze could penetrate the walls to cool their sweat drenched bodies. The bugs were merciless, the gigantic insects were eating them alive, no matter how many times they slapped them dead, there were hundreds more swarming overhead, waiting.

“One more bite, and I will need an entire bathtub of calamine lotion, just to stop itching,” Buffy complained as she killed another blood sucker. If they kept this up no one will have any blood left when they get back. They kept trudging on, the readings were getting closer.

They walked for what seemed like hours, “God did they have to make it so far away, every time I think we are close the readings grow in length. When are we going to be there, I am starting to get really hungry,” Rodney whined.

“We are almost there; I can feel it,” Buffy replied, “just a few more minutes, maybe.” If he was going to complain like this every time, she will do something, she did not know what but it will good.

 

-----

The trees parted to reveal an opening in the side of the mountain, if they had not been looking for any unusual they would have missed it. It was strange how there did not seem to be any mountains in the distance but they were here now and Buffy could feel the power coming from within.

They stood at the entrance of the cave; this is it they finally made it. Buffy knew the power source was inside, her Slayer vibes were sending her feelings of, oh ya almost there. The caves tunnels were dark, so dark, that one could not see the hand in front of their face. The hike would be treacherous but they were so close, and with so much at stake, they had to take the chance.

Single file they followed the passageway through several twists and turns, five flashlights leading the way. It took some time so their eyes adjusted to the darkness, so when they stumbled into the vast cavern, they were momentarily blinded by the intensity of the sudden brightness. An unnatural light seemed to glow from the walls, making it shine like the sun, once again lulling them into a sense of safety; the cavern was not as dark as one would think.

“Ok, this is unusual, there are no readings of any power source in this cave, maybe there is a shield of some kind blocking the signal,” Rodney looked at his device, hitting it on the side to trying to make it work, “Glowing rocks should give off a reading, maybe the battery is dead,” hitting it one more time for good measure.

They spread out to look for anything that resembled something that would conceal a power source, like a secret panel or an object that would open a secret panel.

A booming voice was heard echoing throughout the room, “Who dares to enter my domain, I am the guardian keeper of the relic of power and only the Chosen One, after they alone have proven themselves, can retrieve it.”

Jumping, they positioned themselves into a circle, to defend each other from all sides. The team waited to see what would happen.

It stepped away from the wall, into the path of light, looking right at Ronon, “Chosen One prove you are worthy.” Ronon snorted and pointed to his left.

Buffy confidently walked up to the keeper, “Nope wrong answer, I am the Chosen One, you get me.”

Boy, he was a beasty looking creature, all scales and claws, “You don’t scare me. I have seen demons even uglier than you, let me see whatcha got.”

The guardian laughed, “A girl, they sent a girl, only ones so arrogant as the Ancients would send one such as you,” he smirked.

“Don’tcha know the saying, big bad ass things come in small bad ass packages,” sassing right back.          

John interrupted, “Ah, Buffy maybe if you, um … make nice with the big monster, he will just give you the relic and we can go home.” He was sick of this godforsaken planet.

“Do you really think he is going to hand over the doohickey that easy, nope he’s spoiling for a fight and I am just the one to give it to him, so bring it on, bucko,” Buffy handed off her pack to Ronon, “Be ready,” she whispered and looked into his eyes with an unspoken message, as she shoved her sword at him. He nodded in response.

Her body tensed and coiled, she was ready for whatever the demon would throw at her. She knew not to underestimate her opponent, this was the Pegasus galaxy and she vividly learned her lesson from her fight with the Wraith. This would be a fight to the death, he sounded real serious about his guardianship of the power thing.

After that mental note she flung herself at the creature. The beast moved in blur and appeared behind her, for as big as he was he sure moved fast, she thought, as it howled and spun its tail whipping Buffy in the ribs. Pain shot through her as she hit the wall of the cavern and falling to the floor flopping like a rag doll. She pulled herself up, shock off the fall, turning she noticed a niche in the wall.

As the beast moved in for another attack Buffy jumped onto the small ledge, breathing hard she summoned her Slayer instincts to kick in and with her new found Ancient gene she had oodles of energy waiting to be unleashed. She somersaulted off the ledge and brought her feet down on the beast’s shoulders, and when she vaulted off his body, the force of both genes caused her to land some feet away.

The creature was on its hands and knees stunned, but only for a moment, it slowly rose to its feet; Buffy noticed this little weakness and without mercy laid an onslaught of powerful, human bone crushing, blows to the creature.

She jumped away after the flurry of fists, hands on her hips, laughing she shouted, “I thought the guardian of the power thingy was supposed to be a challenge, oh poor baby, you’re getting your butt beat by an itty bitty, teeny weenie girl!”

The creatures eyes bulged and its nostrils flared with rage. How dare one so small mock the keeper, he channeled his fury into one final charge. Buffy dove forward and somersaulted to bring her ankles around the creature’s neck, she held on with all her might. When her ankles were locked tightly she flipped the creature over her head and it hit the cavern floor with a loud thud. But just as fast he was on his feet again.

Scrambling up, she yelled, “Ronon, now,” she caught the hilt of the sword, and with the momentum of the blade she swung in a circle and plunged the sword into his neck, almost decapitating his head. The beast fell onto his back and she kneeled down next to him, ready to get the information she needed, any way she had to.

He lay there bleeding, barely able to speak, “You have the strength Chosen One, you may have the relic, serve your ancestors well,” he took his last breath. The cave was silent, save for her labored breathing. This was it, the victory, she did it; she defeated the beast, this was her first kill as the Chosen One. She should feel bad, but ya know the saying, kill or be killed applied here.

She struggled to stand, god she hurt, he was strong, holding her ribs she sensed it and her gut clenched with the feeling of impending doom. A low rumble came from the back of the cavern, the walls started to shake, the vibration of sound crumbling the ceiling, making it hard to see through the dust and debris.

Oh crap, she knew it could not be that simple. “The sky is falling, everyone make like chicken little and run,” Buffy screamed over the noise.

“Look, over there, a piece of the wall fell, there’s something in there,” John said running to the hole as he yelled over the noise. He knew some thing was there but the image was distorted. He did not have time to think about it, he just reached out to take the item, but pulled his hand back when he was shocked by some kind of invisible force.

“Wait, only I can get the relic, no one else,” Buffy yelled back, going to stand by his side. With confidence she pushed her hand through the force field and grabbed the relic, shoving into her vest, “Ok got it, now everyone run the cave is collapsing.”    

They took off down the passageway, trying to keep their balance as they ran as if the devil was on their tail. The shaking grew stronger, louder, signaling the cavern behind them was fully down. One minute longer and they would have been toast, squished toast, Buffy thought as she ran. Not much further down the passageway, she could see it, see the light, the group increased their speed.

Stumbling out into the light, they ran clear of the opening and turned around to look, just as the last of the ceiling fell to seal off the entrance of the cave, which flattened into itself and left no trace of it ever being there.

“That just did not happen, did it; there was a cave there, right?” Rodney asked unable to believe his eyes.

“You’re right that did not just happen because that was close, too close, one more second and we would have been pancakes,” Buffy said as she dusted off her shirt, “OK that was fun, everyone ok, any one hurt, if not let’s forget about the disappearing cave and get out of here, so I can take a shower to wash off the icky juice from the beast.”

“I think were fine, and your right let’s head back, it’s been a long and bizarre day,” John replied after looking everyone over.

The walk back, for some reason, seemed much shorter; the bugs must be sleeping too, for not one person got bitten. They reached the edge of the forest happy to be a few steps away from home. When they marched into the clearing, the gate was in sight but still over a mile away.

“Does anyone think this was too easy,” Rodney said, knowing the other shoe was about to drop, “And why is the gate in a different place, this field was not here before, at least I don’t remember there being a field this big.”

“Ah Rodney why did you have to go and say that, now that we are almost there, you probably just jinxed us,” John moaned knowing they were now in for it, “You’re right this is different, let’s hurry, this does not look good.” And with that last comment, howling was heard behind them in the forest.

Buffy shivered, the noise sounded way too familiar, “That does not sound good, it sounds just like the werewolves that I used to know, and that was the rumblings of hunger,” oh boy so not cool, we got to get out of here, black mounds of fur, snapping jaws and really big teeth came to mind, “Everybody RUN, the wolves are probably hungry and our bodies just scream, steak,” she shouted taking off running towards the gate. Dark shadows darted out of the tree line and started to give chase.

They took off, running full speed to the stargate, they were getting closer, but the wolves were catching up fast. John turned firing his P90 at the onslaught. A few were hit, a few were startled, but it did not slow them down one bit.

“Rodney, no matter what you do don’t look back, just dial the gate as fast as you can,” he yelled firing at the wolves; he could see more coming from the forest.

They were gaining ground, with legs burning they raced to the gate, Rodney reached the DHD, dialing he prayed for them to be saved. Buffy saw a black wolf ready to jump on John; she reached up, grabbed her sword and ran towards him. Slicing through the air and with a pain filled yelp, she stopped the wolf from the attack. John looked relieved, he didn’t even see it coming; he turned back and continued to fire. Countless more shadows were seen leaving the woods.

“Ok ready code sent, let’s get the hell out of here,” Rodney stood waving us into the wormhole.

They ran jumping, one, two, three, four, five, through the wormhole and they landed in Atlantis, as one they yelled, “Close the shield”. Several thumps were heard behind the shield, several wolves died trying to eat them, motivation was a good thing, it kept one alive.

They lay panting staring up at the ceiling of the gate room, “Yes! We made it and we were not dog food,” John said, pumping a fist in the air, while thinking over what just happened on the planet.

Elizabeth ran into the room, “Major, you guys ok? We were expecting you later, what happened?”

“Buffy is so on my team, I want her, pretty please,” John begged, trying to catch his breath from his position on the floor. He groaned rolling over to sit up, hands dangling off his knees, he started to explain, “We walked, went spelunking, watched a beast get it’s butt kicked, grabbed the power source and ran for the gate, with the hounds on our heels, literally.”

She looked to Rodney, “Nope nothing to add, he summarized it quite nicely.” She looked at them strangely, “Well everyone infirmary, then the conference room in one hour.” She walked away thinking, I can’t wait to hear this story, it sounds very fascinating.

-----

Everyone gathered together in the conference room, anticipation was high trying to figure out what they brought back. Buffy did not let anyone see the relic, she kept it a secret, the only one who saw it was John and he would not budge no matter how much Rodney persisted. He sat glaring at them both and when Dr. Weir entered the room he relaxed he would find out now, but his patience was wearing thin.

“Ok everyone before we start I want to say that I am happy everyone made it back, for that I am grateful. We are here to see if the trip was worthwhile. We need to know if the other addresses will be something to pursue,” Elizabeth said.

“We got something on the planet, I don’t know what because only Buffy could grab it,” Rodney stated eager to learn what they got.

“Yeah the shock was surprising, it hurt, so I guess she had to go because she grabbed it with no problem,” John recalled the intensity of the force field.

“So Buffy, what did ya get?” Rodney asked excitedly, he was almost rubbing his hands together like mad scientist.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a silver disc, it was small only about five inches in diameter; it had markings on it, kind of a mix of ancient and demon design, she surmised. She recognized the demon language, but the Ancient was new to her, her brain download made her assume that was what it was.

The disc shimmered in the light; it felt heavy in her hands and gave off a strong power vibe. The carving on it was one she had never seen before, a sword was in the middle and in a semi circle underneath were four other symbols, kind of like hieroglyphs but possibly of Ancient design. They were going to have to find out what they meant, but God she hated research, that’s why she has to hang around smart people, they can do the work for you.

“This is what I found; only I could grab it before the cave collapsed. I have no idea what it is but the power coming from it is amazing,” Buffy said, “I am surprised you all can’t feel it.”

She placed the object on the table, John reached out to grab beating Rodney to the punch. The disc hummed loudly under his fingers, he was so startled that he almost dropped it. “I can feel it alright, my body is practically vibrating from it, so much power,” John agreed.

“That doesn’t look like power source to me but if there is energy coming off it maybe we should test it see if it is compatible with Atlantis’s systems,” Rodney saw the look of awe on John’s face, “Is there that much energy in that disc or you just happy to see it?” laughing when John abruptly dropped it on the table.

Buffy picked the object up again, “No sex vibes Rodney just plain old, I am happy to be home vibes, I think we need to go to the V.R. room and ask the old man, I have a sneaking suspicion he knows exactly what this is.”

“You’re right we need to see if Atlantis recognizes the disc,” Rodney said excitedly, “We can hook up a conduit to the disc to funnel the power to the systems to see if they will be affected, and if this does work then we have go to the other planets to find more.”

“The ball is in your court Rodney, do what you think is best,” Dr. Weir would leave all of the scientific stuff to him because that is what he does best, besides he won’t do anything else until this mystery is solved, “Might as well get started.”

“Ok, let’s go right now, I have time to mess with the systems,” he rushed over to Buffy to take the relic but John beat him again, darn it.

John took the disc from Buffy, “Wait, we did not even talk about what happened on the planet, it could be important.”

“Was it bad, yes, did anyone get hurt, no, did we live to see another day, yes, see there is nothing to discuss,” Rodney said very, very impatiently, he glared at John, “We need to find out what the relic is and what it can do, we don’t have time for briefings right now, we need power badly, the Wraith are a real threat and if you want to write a report we all can read later, then by all means go ahead and do it, the rest of you let’s go!”

John held the disc tightly, his eyes widened, and then he moved it from hand to hand, “Well I’ll be damned, he’s right you know, I feel the urgency from the relic, it’s like it is trying to tell us something.”

@@@@@

 

Buffy and Ronon walked side by side following Rodney, the others were pretending to listen to him, she knew she would be; half of what he said was way more complicated and difficult to understand than what her limited knowledge could comprehend. She was not stupid by any means but the stuff coming out of his mouth was making her brain hurt. So she tuned him out and focused on Ronon instead.

“I bet you that they don’t understand one thing Rodney is saying, they just act like they do,” Buffy smiled.

“You would be surprised at how much they do understand, John likes to pretend he is not intelligent but that is just a front to have others underestimate him, and Elizabeth reads and speaks Ancient so she can follow the Ancient parts, and run most systems. Teyla, now she is a mystery, she does not know the technology but she can learn on the fly and is very intuitive,” Ronon summed up his team quite nicely he thought, “and then there is Rodney, he just talks to hear himself talk, he likes to impress people, but then does not care if he does not.”

“Wow, you have your team pretty much figured out but do they know you that well?” Buffy knew he did not talk that much; he was more of an observer. She thought he liked to keep things to himself, rarely letting people get to close. She was not surprised, with the loss of his planet; everything he knew and loved was gone, so keeping people at bay would be a good defense mechanism.

“I like to watch those around me to find out how they react or interact with others, it helps figuring out who is good or bad. I let them see what they want to see, it is better that way,” Ronon replied saying more than he usually did, he felt very comfortable with Buffy and wanted to tell her more then he has ever told anyone.

“I would like to learn more about your planet and your people, I think I would have liked them, they were warriors just like us,” Buffy left it open, if he wanted not to respond that was ok, she would understand.

“That is a conversation for another time when we do not have very important matters to attend to, but I would like that, so yes,” he would be happy to tell her about his world and he could learn more about hers.

They caught up with the others at the door, “Why are you all waiting out here, shouldn’t we go inside?” Buffy asked when everyone stopped outside of the room.

“We were waiting for you, we want you to go in first to see if the hologram will come on again without the relic, because I think that when we bring it in it will trigger something,” John said knowing the power from the relic would somehow start up systems.

Buffy walked carefully through the door, when nothing happened, she waved them in. John came into the room last with the relic, as soon as he crossed the threshold the room started to hum, the same hum as the item in his hand. Buffy took it from him and approached the podium, she placed it on the top, and instantly the old man appeared.

“Chosen One you and your companions have returned successful, this will help better guide you on your path, the power you seek is yours to find, the challenges will be great but the rewards many and Atlantis and her people will benefit from your leadership.” He winked out, but on the ceiling was a map of the city, and in the newly opened section, one of the rooms that the scientists were unable to open was blinking rapidly. Yep, she knew he would know, but why can’t they just say what they mean, she hated riddles.

“Cryptic much old man, ok guys I guess he wants us to go there or it would not be blinking, right,” the disc on the podium hummed even louder, letting Buffy know she was right. She snatched it up and headed for the door.

 

 

TBC...