The last engagement von Lt Col Virag

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The last engagement

Part 1

The new man


‘Colonel Sheppard! We’re detecting a hyperspace-window opening.’

There was a little pause in the gate room. Nobody was expecting a ship coming. The fear of the Wraith might be at the doorsteps of Atlantis had flown through the city in seconds. Shortly after Major Cory looked up again.

‘It’s the Daedalus! General O'Neil is waiting.’

The entire city calmed after only a few seconds of fear, but it seemed forever.

‘Open a channel!’ Sounded Sheppard’s order. ‘This is Colonel Sheppard talking.’

‘Colonel! Good to hear your voice! Requesting permission to be beamed down.’ Answered O'Neil from the Daedalus.

‘Permission granted, sir!’

In that very second a glowing light and the well-known sound appeared just in front of the gate. The General was there with another person who was not known by anybody.

‘Congratulations! I heard you got promoted.’ Said O'Neil to Sheppard.

‘Thank you, sir! Since the IOA wanted to increase military attention in the Pegasus galaxy, it seemed appropriate for them to put me in charge of this city.’

‘That’s great responsibility. Think you can handle it?’ Asked ironically O'Neil.

‘I think I can live with it.’ Answered John with a huge smile on his face.

‘This is Lieutenant Colonel Dennis Marshall.’ Pointed at the guy who arrived with him. ''I assigned him to take over your off-world team, Sheppard. As the leader of Atlantis you’re not, unless it’s necessary, suppose to go to off-world missions. Is that clear?’

‘Absolutely, sir! Colonel Marshall! We are all glad to have you here. You!’ Told to a man standing at the door. ‘Show him his quarters!’

‘Yes, sir!’ Saluted the man, and walked away with Marshall.

O'Neil got only a few seconds to look around what changed since he last had been there. When he was about to look at one of the mission reports on a laptop, Dr. McKay ran in.

‘Sheppard! You have to… Oh, General, nice to see you again. Anyways, I got something that both of you should see.’ He sounded like he found the answer to the meaning of life.

‘Is it one of those creepy, not understandable, scientific stuff.’ Asked Jack. McKay nodded. ‘Great! I’m looking forward to hear one of those, again!’

McKay looked extremely pissed because of what the General said. He took them to his lab anyways. It was in the main tower, just three floors down from the control room. He was nearly running to get there, like they were going to miss something, if they don’t get there on time. When they arrived McKay sat down to his desk, opened his laptop and began talking rapidly.

‘Okay! So you both know that Atlantis is in need of some kind of energy source that is either equal or more effective than the ZPM.’ Sheppard and O'Neil nodded. ‘I found a way! Actually it was my sister. Remember a couple of years ago my sister was here because of the idea of a time-space bridge, but it wasn’t working? I made it to work without taking any risks. And it gives us power equal as five ZPMs!’ McKay was flustered. Sheppard could tell that he’s been working on this project for weeks without sleeping. O'Neil took the chance to have a word.

‘So you’re saying that this… bridge thing… can take Atlantis back to fight against the Wraith?’

‘Yes, that’s the interest for you in this energy source. And it opens God knows how many new doors to discover about the Ancients!’ Answered McKay edgily. Why the General was always thinking of fighting? Well, maybe because he was a soldier. But it was hard for McKay to understand. Before anybody else could speak up the radio started rasping.

‘Colonel Sheppard! We’ve got an off-world activation. You might wanna come up to the control room.’

‘Thanks Cory! We’re on the way.’ Sheppard and O'Neil left in a hurry. When they got up to the gate floor Tod’s face was already on the main screen. He saw Sheppard entering the room.

‘Sheppard!’ Whispered John’s name in Tod’s exasperating voice.

‘Tod! I thought I never gonna hear from you again.’ Said Sheppard mockingly.

‘You thought that, huh?’ Guffawed Tod so loud that it echoed in the entire control room. ‘Well, you were wrong. I survived that battle against the last remaining Replicators. And here I am, again.’

Everybody could see that Sheppard wasn’t entirely satisfied with that fact.

‘Here you are seeking what? You wouldn’t contact us unless you need our help.’

‘And once again you are mistaken, John Sheppard! I’m here rather to offer you something that could be quiet useful in your war against the Wraith.’

That sounded crazy. Why on Earth would Tod help them again against his own kind, when there Civil War has ended by that time? And Sheppard knew that. Or did they miss something while they were back on Earth?

‘Okay Tod! That doesn’t sound right. I thought the Civil War ended.’

Tod had the look on his face that made John quiet obnoxious towards him.

‘Let me explain! Yes, the war has ended. Which means that the Wraith are settling down for reparations and to once again, go back to sleep. Which leaves us big hives with a handful of soldiers only. Easy to set bombs, and ravage enemy hives.’

Sheppard had to think. It was a good chance, all right, but he could sense something behind that. He wasn’t entirely sure what, but this case was, in fact, doubtful.

‘Gotta think about that Tod!’ Answered with a little grogginess in his voice.

‘Take your time, John Sheppard! I’m transferring the gate address where you can contact me. You’ve got 24 hours before I leave.’ And the gate shut down.

‘We received the gate address, sir.’

‘Thank you, Major!’ Sheppard switched on his radio. ‘Ronon! Teyla! Colonel Marshall! Meet me in my office in 5 minutes!’ They acknowledged the order. Sheppard also told the General, that he should attend that briefing too. O'Neil agreed, so they left to the office. In exactly 5 minutes Ronon, Teyla and Marshall appeared in the room.

‘Okay guys! Tod contacted us to hand us a great chance of conducting a final strike on the Wraith. He said that they went back to sleep to gain energy for a final engagement on us.’ Started Sheppard.

‘It’s weird! Why would he do that?’ Cut in Ronon.

‘Well I’m guessing he wants to take over the ruling.’

That was kind of obvious. Of course Tod had to have something on mind.

‘Anyways, it is still the best chance we had so far. So are we gonna do it or not?’ Everybody nodded. ‘Good! The three of you: be armed and ready to go off-world in 15 minutes. You’re gonna meet Tod to make an agreement, and probably to bring him here. Colonel Marshall! Are you ready to lead this mission?’

‘Absolutely, sir!’ Agreed Marshall.

‘Thank you! Questions?’

And there were no questions, so they left. Sheppard and O'Neil went back to the gate room to wait for the others. John wasn’t convinced that this could work, but when he looked at the General and even he was, the he felt better.

After 11 minutes the team arrived ready for the mission.

‘Major Cory! Dial the gate!’ Gave out John the orders.

Everybody on Atlantis hoped that this will work…