The Other City von T L Kay

[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Knock, knock.

Jack turned to see Colonel Sheppard standing in the doorway, looking uncomfortable.

“Come in Sheppard,” he said.

“Thank you sir,” said John, stepping into the room.

“Please, I’m retired, you can call me Jack.”

John shifted awkwardly. “I don’t think I’m quite ready to do that sir.”

Jack smiled. “That’s understandable. What can I do for you?”

“It’s about Katie,” John started.

“It’s very admirable that you’re worried about her, but she’s the best person for the job, I’m not going to leave her behind.”

John smiled slightly. “Why does everyone keep thinking I’m trying to get her left behind?”

“You’re not?”

“No sir, I know how much this means to her; I just wanted to ask…”

Jack held up a hand. “Don’t worry Sheppard, I’ll watch out for her.”

“Thank you sir.”

“But Sheppard?” Jack said as John turned to leave. “I wouldn’t let her know you’re getting people to watch out for her. I know her a little, she’s got your temper, and she wouldn’t like you babying her.”

“Yes sir.”

“But that being said, I’ll keep her out of trouble. She’s kinda grown on me.”


Kate stood outside General Landry’s office, bouncing nervously. The General was in there with Captain James, briefing him on over a decade of confidential material. It had taken some convincing to get James on the team, and most of the resistance had been from him. He had finally come around after a personal visit from Kate, accompanied by Jack. She had convinced James that what he was being offered was an experience of a lifetime, and that, with the added weight of a formerly retired general being called back, had changed his mind. He had signed the confidentiality agreement, come to the SGC and was now being clued into what it was he had gotten himself into.

“Hey there,” said a voice from behind her. She turned to see Daniel coming up the stairs from the control room.

She smiled. She had not seen Daniel much in the week or so since they had gotten there and she missed him. “Hello.”

“Are you waiting to see General Landry?”

“No, I’m waiting for my friend; he's in there right now.”

Daniel peeked past her through the window. “Ah, Captain James. Jack told me about him. He seems like a good kid.”

Kate laughed.

“Did I say something funny?”

She shook her head. “It’s just John also referred to him as a kid, and I can’t help but think you’re getting a bit old when you refer to a 27 year old as a ‘kid.’”

Daniel smiled. “I suppose you’re right, but still think he seems like a good…guy.”

Kate laughed again. “Yes, he is. I’ve known him since back at the Academy. We used to cheat off of each other’s homework.”

“I never cheated.”

Kate turned around with a smile to see James standing in Landry’s doorway.

“I seem to remember you cheating, but I never did.” He stepped into the room and gave Kate a hug. “Hi Kitty,” he said.

She hit him lightly on the arm. “I told you not to call me that.” She caught Daniel’s eye and smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry, Daniel Jackson this is Captain James. Marty, this is Dr. Jackson.”

The guys exchanged pleasantries, shaking hands.

“I understand that Katie had to twist your arm pretty hard to get you on this mission,” Daniel asked.

James nodded. “Yeah, but I’m glad that she did. After what General Landry’s been telling me, I can’t believe I almost said no.”

“Yes, it is hard to resist.”

“Well Marty, the rest of our team has arrived if you’d like to meet them?”

James nodded. “It was very nice to meet you Dr. Jackson.”

“You too Captain James. I hope you enjoy your adventure.” Daniel turned to enter Landry’s office.

“Wait Daniel,” said Kate. She turned and muttered something to James, who nodded and headed down the stairs. She turned back to Daniel. “Thank you very much for this.”

“For what?”

“I know my brother asked you to get me on this mission, and I’m very thankful, to both of you.”

Daniel smiled. “Katie, I didn’t do anything. There was never any question about you being on this mission.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “And in all honesty many people, myself included, felt that you were the best person to lead this mission, but the IOA couldn’t be talked into it.”

Kate blushed. “That’s very flattering, but I don’t think I could handle all that responsibility. I’m just fine with my team.”

“Well I’m glad.”

“But still, thank you. Without you I never would have gotten the opportunity for any of this. I’d probably be teaching…English as a second language or something.” She laughed. “So, thank you.”


“This is quite a gig you’ve got here,” said James as she came down the stairs into the control room.

Kate smiled, looking through the window at the Stargate beyond. “You seem to be handling this very well.”

James laughed. “I anticipate freaking out the first time I step through there.”

“It is a bit intimidating. My first time was only a few weeks ago.”

He gaped at her. “Really?”

She nodded.

“Wow.”

“Don’t worry; the other members of our team are a little more experienced. Let’s go see if we can’t find them.”

She led him down the stairs into the hallway.

“So a science geek and another military guy?”

“Yes. Major Lorne will be my second, sorry Marty.”

He shrugged. “It’s all right. He’s higher ranked.”

“And Dr. Radek Zelenka is our other team member. He was second in charge of the Atlantis science team and is one of the foremost experts on Ancient technology. He has some frustrating interpersonal skills, but most science nerds do.”

James laughed. “You’re a bit of a nerd yourself.”

“That she is,” said John, coming up behind them.

“Johnny,” said Kate with a smile.

“Uh-oh, she’s pulled out the pet name. I think I might be in trouble.”

She hit him lightly. “Sometimes I’m allowed to like you.”

“I guess.”

“John, this is my friend Marty,” she said, indicating James.

“Nice to meet you sir,” said James.

“You too Captain. I’ve heard quite a bit about you in the past few weeks.”
“I’ve heard quite a bit about you in the past few years sir. Katie thought the worst when she hadn’t heard anything from you. I’m glad to see you’re still alive.”

“Me too, but it’s been close.”

“Johnny don’t scare him.”

John shrugged innocently.

“Have you seen Radek and Evan?” she asked, changing the subject.

John gave her an inquisitive look at the use of Lorne’s first name, but didn’t say anything. “They’ve been cleared by Lam. Major Lorne left the mountain and I believe Dr. Zelenka is with Rodney somewhere, probably bickering like little children. At least that’s what he’s supposed to be doing, working with Rodney, not bickering.”

Kate smiled at the image. “Did you talk to Evan before he left?”

“Yeah, he’s going to join us tonight. I told him where.”

“Yay, I’m so excited.”

John laughed. “But we can’t party too hard. It would be a bad impression if you were hung over tomorrow.”

Kate grimaced. “Briefings are bad enough without feeling like you’re half dead.”

“Yes. Well I’ve got to go see if I can spur the whiz kids along.”

“What are they doing?”

“Messing with the ZPM that we got from Adrianus’ lab.”
“I thought you were going to keep that at Atlantis?”

He shrugged. “Well, we have one for now and something has to power this trip.”

Kate smiled. “17 hundred hours right?”

John nodded.

“All right, I’ll see you then.”

He nodded again and continued walking down the hall.

“What’s at 17 hundred?” asked James.

Kate smiled. “We’re going to get our first look at our new home.”