Nothing Hurts Like Love von Lucy Maria Elmer

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Dr Rodney McKay rubbed his head as he tried desperately to focus his eyes on his surroundings. The last thing he could remember was feeling dizzy in the function hall and now he had woken up and found himself lying on the floor.

"What the...." He whispered as he realised that he wasn't in the function hall anymore but in what looked like someone's quarters.

Panic immediately began to rise in him. Where was he? He knew he was on Atlantis but he wasn't in the infirmary, which is where you would usually be taken if you'd collapsed and these weren't his quarters. What was going on?

He was snapped out of his thoughts by the sound of someone groaning at his side. It was then that he saw Elizabeth lying on the floor next to him semi-conscious.

"Oh god. Elizabeth?" He called tilting her chin up with his hand and running his other hand tenderly through her hair. "Elizabeth wake up."

Elizabeth's eyelids began to flutter and Rodney sighed with relief when her green eyes opened.

"Rodney...are you okay? You collapsed..." She asked him groggily.

"I'm fine. I think you collapsed too." He told her still stroking her hair back off her forehead.

Elizabeth put a hand to her head and sat up slowly. She looked around the room.

"Where are we? What the hell is going on? People were collapsing one after the other in the function hall."

"I really have no idea on all counts. All I know is that somehow we left the hall and now we're here...wherever here is." he replied looking around the room frantically.

"It looks like we're in someone's quarters." Elizabeth commented shakily picking herself up off the floor.

Rodney noticing this put a hand on her back, and though he was shaky he helped her up.

"You think we've been taken hostage?" He asked a little fearfully.

"Why would we be in someone's quarters if we were hostages? And why one with a crib? There's no one else here. Surely there`d be people with weapons."

"Unless they're guarding the door outside. Maybe they want us to breed." He offered.

Elizabeth glared at him and rolled her eyes.

The door opening and a person entering the room interrupted the pair. Both sat in shock as they saw the person bend over in pain, grabbing hold of the bed.

"Rodney..." Elizabeth said softly as she stared at the figure trying her hardest to comprehend what was going on.

"This can't be..." Rodney replied. "How can this be? Unless somehow we've time travelled or travelled into an alternate universe?"

"The drinks...Halling said to me that the drink that the Athosians were handing out would show us our inner desires. That's when we all started to collapse."

"So what? This is some kind of drunken delusion? Then how can we be sharing it? My brain hurts." He commented sighing.

"I don't know what's going on Rodney. All I know is that I'm sitting here watching a heavily pregnant version of myself in what seems to be labour. Have you noticed how she...I...don't seem to be able to hear us?" Elizabeth pointed out.

Rodney frowned.

"You might be in a bit too much pain to hear us really." He told her.

"It could be that. Or she...I...can't see or hear us."

Rodney walked over to where the other Elizabeth was standing holding on to the bed with one hand and rubbing her stomach with another. He waved a hand in front of her face. She didn't even blink.

"Hello?" He called softly.

There was no response.

"Okay this is creepy. It's like we're ghosts here." He pointed out turning back to Elizabeth.

"You believe in ghosts?" Elizabeth asked him smiling in spite of the situation.

Rodney was about to reply when another figure came through the door. This time it was Rodney's turn to be shocked. Another version of him had just entered the room in an awful hurry and ran over to the pained Elizabeth. Ghost Rodney walked back over to Elizabeth and the pair of them sat watching what was unfolding in front of them.

"Sweetheart? Grodin just told me that you'd started having pains." The other Rodney said softly rubbing Elizabeth's back. "You should be in the infirmary."

Elizabeth sat down on the bed rubbing her stomach affectionately.

"Rodney we've had three false alarms already. This is probably another one. Our baby is a typical McKay. It keeps changing its mind about when it wants to arrive." She teased.

"Our baby?" Ghost Elizabeth whispered glancing at Rodney who looked just as shocked.

The other Rodney sat down on the bed next to Elizabeth and put a hand over hers on her stomach.

"You should get checked out just in case. This is our baby Liz. Maybe today's the day. You're all ready overdue. I don`t know about you but I`m ready to see this little one." He told her rubbing her back.

The other Elizabeth leant in and kissed him.

"This from the man who was worried about becoming a father." She commented cupping his cheek with the palm of her hand and then kissing his forehead.

"Yeah well things change. I'm still a little worried but this is my first baby. What guy wouldn't be worried? I'm determined to be a good father Elizabeth. I'm not going to make the same mistakes with our baby that my parents made with me."

Elizabeth looked at him lovingly.

"Oh I don't know. They couldn't have done that bad a job. I fell I love with you didn't I?"

The other Rodney grinned.

"You're the woman who makes me want to be a better man Elizabeth. Because of my life before I was always so arrogant and selfish...and then I met you and I knew that I wanted to change. I wanted to be better for you...and then for our baby. You make me feel. Both of you. And I love you for it."

"We love you too." Elizabeth reassured him smiling as the baby kicked their hands.

"I think little one was agreeing with you." Rodney told her smiling as he thought of his unborn child.

"I think your right daddy."

For a moment they sat there in each other's arms as `ghost' Elizabeth and Rodney sat watching. Both were shocked by what they had seen and at first were unable to look at each other. Elizabeth was the first one to break the silence.

"Rodney we're seeing our inner desires here, you do realise that?" She asked him quietly. "And we're seeing them together. That means..."

"I know what it means." He replied softly.

"You do want a family." She commented. "You want..."

He looked at her and Elizabeth could see he was petrified that because of whatever they`d been given by the Athosians, she was able to see deeper into him than she`d ever be able to otherwise.

"It's okay Rodney. This doesn't go any further than here." She reassured him.

He looked at the ground.

"I guess you think I really am a loser now." He commented.

Elizabeth looked at him incredulous.

"Why would I think that?" She asked him frowning.

"Because now you know that deep down I want the same as what everyone else does. I want to find someone that I love who loves me back and can accept me for the pain in the ass that I am. You can see that I do want a family. I'm just too damn afraid that I'm going to make a mess of things to do anything about it or even to admit that I do want them."

"I don't think you're a loser Rodney. I don't think that at all. I couldn't think that of you. Besides you're not the only one who's seeing this. This is a part of me too. Earlier tonight I told you that I hadn't really thought about children and yet here we are seeing ourselves about to have one of our own. I guess deep down I don't just want my life to be about my career. I want my career more than anything...but I'd like just what everyone else wants to have too."

"I guess that's partly why we're seeing this together." Rodney commented. "And partly..."

Elizabeth nodded the words not needing to be spoken between them.

The Elizabeth that they were watching crying out in pain interrupted the two. The other Rodney looked like he was in total panic but still took her hand in his own and rubbed her back.

"Oh my god Rodney. This is it. My waters just broke." She exclaimed holding on to her stomach. "We're going to be parents."

"Oh wow. Oh God. Okay. Uh...We need to get you to the infirmary. Do you want a med team to come here or do you want to walk?" He asked her.

"I think I can walk. Oh this really hurts." Elizabeth groaned through gritted teeth as she was hit by a contraction. "Help me up..." She asked him. "Ohhhhh...owwww." She groaned holding on to him tightly.

The duo watched as the concerned father to be put an arm around Elizabeth's waist and took one hand in his own which she squeezed tightly. He then helped her up off the bed, supporting her the best that he could.

"It's the last time we're going to be in here without our child Liz." He commented looking around the room as he led her to the doorway.

"I'm scared Rodney." Elizabeth admitted rubbing her stomach and leaning into him, holding his hand, which was entwined in hers up to her cheek.

"You have no need to be. You're going to be a wonderful mother. You've done everything you can to protect this baby since the moment you knew it was there. I'm here sweetheart okay?" He soothed.

She nodded and Rodney kissed her forehead.

"Come on lets get you to the Doc." He told her as they left the room.

"What do we do now?" `Ghost' Rodney asked Elizabeth as their counterparts left.

" I don't know." She told him. "I don't know how we wake up from this...I don't know where this is. I don't know." She added panicking.

Rodney put an arm around her.

"It's okay. Somehow we'll get back home. This can't be a permanent thing can it?"

Elizabeth shrugged not knowing what to believe.

"It's okay to be freaked out you know." He told her. "This is all very strange...and just a little bit revealing."

Elizabeth nodded.

"Isn't it usually you freaking out and me trying to calm you down?" She asked him with a smile.

"It is indeed. Aren't role reversals confusing?" He replied trying to make her laugh.

"What do you think we should do? Do you think we should go see how all of this pans out? There's got to be a point to us being brought here." Elizabeth asked him.

"I can't think of what else we can do." Rodney replied. "Are you sure you want to see yourself giving birth? It might put you off children forever." He then teased.

"I'm not even sure I want you to see it." She told him.

Rodney smiled.

"I promise I won't look at anything you don't want me to."

Elizabeth smiled and the pair of them got up.

"Let's go see our baby." Elizabeth said softly as the pair left the room.