Retribution von Espiritu

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
AN: See chapter one for disclaimers

Retribution

Chapter 2: With Friends Like These

The four continued walking in the direction of the town. As they climbed a small rise in the terrain, they were able to view a sizable town down in a wide and shallow valley. Just over the hill, they could see a stone-paved roadway currently being traversed by a small group of villagers heading to the marketplace to trade.

Teyla pointed to the road. "That is the roadway into the town. It will take us directly to the town market center where we will find the magistrate. It is with him you will need to speak."

"Well, let's go then." Sheppard waved his team forward as he headed down the hillside towards the road.

By the time they reached the road, several other travelers were just ahead of them already entering the gates to the town. Some appeared to be carrying baskets of fresh produce to sell in the marketplace. The team fell in behind the group of farmers as they reached the entrance to the town. A few people stopped to look at the quartet from Atlantis, but they did not appear too alarmed at strangers in their midst. Instead, they curiously watched the newcomers and gossiped among themselves as the four cautiously walked past.

The pathway through the town widened ahead to form a large circular area with a fountain in the center surrounded by a variety of buildings and vendor stalls. As they headed towards the town center, they were approached by two young men who stood blocking their way. The taller of the two assessed the oddly attired strangers before him, eyeing them somewhat warily as he spoke.

"Greetings travelers. Your mode of dress is unfamiliar to me. Have you come from afar?"

Teyla stepped forward to reply for the group. "Aye, we have come through the Journeyer's Portal. I am Teyla Emmagan of the Athosians. My father, Tughan, was a friend and trade partner to your people. These people are my trusted friends and also seek an alliance with the Logarans."

Sheppard nodded at the young man and introduced the other members of his team to him. "I am Major John Sheppard. This is Lieutenant Aiden Ford and this is Dr. Rodney McKay."

The young man smiled and nodded back to each of them. "Welcome then. I am Senara, emissary to the magistrate." He indicated his companion. "This is Visku. I know of Tugan of the Athosians. My uncle, Raylok considered him a worthy leader and business associate. Have you come to trade in the marketplace also?".

"Yes, we wish to barter for food from your farms." Sheppard responded.

"Are you experiencing a drought in your village to prevent you from having enough food to feed your people? Is that why you carry weapons, to force us to give you supplies?" The other Logaran questioned the group.

"Major Sheppard's people have journeyed far from their homeworld and are in need of fresh vegetables, fruit, and meats to supplement their travel rations until they can grow crops in their new settlement. We carry weapons only to defend ourselves from the Wraith." Teyla answered.

The young man seemed to find this answer acceptable. "You have come at a good time. Our harvest has been very bountiful this season. Have you valuables to offer in exchange?"

McKay retorted. "Of course we have valuables. We've got a virtual smorgasbord of goodies. Just call us Trade Goods 'R Us. You want it, we've got it--medicine, computers, weapons...umm"

Sheppard cut the physicist off with a nudge of his elbow before he rambled further and grinned at the Logaran. "I am sure we can come up with something you will like." He gave McKay a warning look to remind him to zip his lip before he offered to build them an atomic bomb like he had done with the Genii.

Teyla looked back at the major before turning again to the tall Logaran. "Major Sheppard's people have many types of goods appropriate in value in exchange for your foodstuffs. May we speak with the magistrate to discuss the terms of trade.? I am positive we can negotiate a fair settlement."

"Assuredly. If you will come with me, I will show you the way to Magistrate Golathe's council chamber." The young man beckoned them to follow as he turned and strode across the center towards a large stone building.

As they walked behind the Logaran and entered through an ornate doorway, McKay took out his scanner once again and performed a cursory sweep of the doorway and the passageways that branched out from the wide corridor they headed down. As Senara stopped before a closed door in the main hallway and turned back to the group, McKay stuffed his scanner back in his vest pocket to hide it from the young man's view.

"This is Magistrate Golathe's council chamber. If you will please wait here, I will let him know of your arrival and request to meet with him." Senara entered the office and closed the door behind him.

As soon as the Logaran left them, McKay pulled Sheppard aside and pulled out his scanner to show him the readout on the display. "It would appear, Major, that the energy source lies somewhere within this building. The display spiked once we entered this hall."

"Any ideas where it might be coming from?" Sheppard inquired as he glanced at the readout.

"I'm not sure, but this building is huge. The source could be located anywhere in any one or more of the rooms. I can only tell when we get closer to it." McKay replied.

"So it looks like we have to play a game of Hot & Cold then." Sheppard pursed his lips as he looked around the various corridors and doorways.

Noticing Teyla's questioning look, the major added. "I'll explain later."

Any further discussion on the energy readings was curtailed as Senara opened the door and motioned them inside. "Magistrate Golathe will see you now."

They followed Senara into the council chamber. The spacious room was well appointed with carved wood furniture, paintings, and an intricately woven oriental style rug. Across the room, the magistrate arose from his seat at a large desk where it appeared he was reviewing paperwork. As the team entered his chamber, he walked around the desk and stood before them as Senara presented the Logaran leader to the group.

"Welcome to Logara. I am pleased to see you again Teyla. It has been too long since we have been graced with a visit from the Athosians. My daughter will be glad to know you have come to see us."

"I am honored you remember me, Magistrate, since I was still an adolescent when last our people traded. Please send my regards to Kenra. I would be pleased to visit with her. It has been many days since we have last seen each other." Teyla spoke warmly in reply as she extended her hands in greeting.

The tall, gray-haired leader grasped her hands in reply and bowed his head to the Athosian woman. "My condolences also on the loss of your father to the Wraith. Tugan was a good friend and I was saddened to hear of his death."

"Thank you Magistrate Golathe. You are very kind. I would like you to meet my friends who wish to trade with you." Teyla introduced each of her team members.

As he was introduced to the magistrate, Sheppard thought he saw a flicker of recognition play across the Logaran leader's face once he heard Major Sheppard's name. But as he acknowledged Golathe's greeting, the only expression to greet him was one of friendly welcome.

Still, the major had long since learned to trust his instincts and he could not ignore the nagging feeling that the magistrate knew more than he let on. His gut told him to keep an eye on this man, even as he smiled in return as introductions were made.

Golathe bid them to sit at a wide table and summoned an aide from the adjoining room. "Please make yourselves comfortable. My aide, Talmar, will see to bringing us some refreshments." The young man bowed to the guests and hurried out of the room as the group seated themselves around the table.

"Senara tells me you wish to trade for a portion of the harvest from our farmlands. The land provides such bounty only after much toil. We would seek something of equal value in return."

"That's completely understandable. I am sure we have something to bring to the table so to speak." Sheppard glanced around the table at his teammates as he spoke. "Perhaps medicine or help from our doctors."

"We have our own healers, Major, and we have little disease on Logara."

"Well, maybe some technical assistance or machinery to help you farm more efficiently." Sheppard offered.

"Our scientists are experts in their respective fields. We can offer invaluable technical assistance to make you more productive." McKay added to the discussion at hand.

"Perhaps. What we want is an effective weapon to use against the Wraith when they come for the next culling. Do you have a weapon that will kill such an enemy?"

Remembering how happy Weir had been when they offered C4 explosives in a previous trading mission, Sheppard was hesitant to mention any weapons at their disposal. "We might have something to help you defend yourselves."

"Surely you can understand, Major, that we want to do more than defend ourselves. If you have come across the Wraith, you would know no one can live without fear until they have been annihilated."

As Golathe spoke, his aide reappeared with beverages and a tray of assorted fruits, nuts, and cheeses. He placed them the tray at the center of the table and served everyone seated. McKay sniffed cautiously at his drink before taking a sip, prompting Senara to remark that the Logaran ale was enjoyed and prized by travelers from many worlds.

Sheppard took a sip of the beverage himself before turning back to Golathe. "We've met the Wraith up close and personal so we can understand the annihilation thing. Maybe we can join forces in the fight against them."

"And if we become your allies, Major?" asked the Logaran magistrate.

"We might be willing to offer weapons to our allies. Of course, I will have to talk with my boss."

"I understand. We will let you go back to your people then to discuss the matter. Come back once the sun sets. It is a custom of my people to close deals over a meal. We shall have a dinner feast prepared in honor of our new possible alliance. We will finalize terms after you have sampled Logaran cuisine."

"Okay, I am sure we can come up with an acceptable solution by then. We will see you at sunset."

As Golathe stood, Sheppard took this as his cue to leave. He bid the magistrate goodbye, collected the rest of his team, and followed Senara out the door.

As soon as the Atlantis team was escorted from the room, Golathe summoned his aide from across the room with a brief nod. The young man left his post in the corner of the room and walked to where the Logaran leader remained standing and awaited his instructions.

"Talmar, send a message to the Genii homeworld and invite Chief Cowen to tonight's little gathering. Tell him we have guests I am sure he would be pleased to speak with again."

(TBC)