Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Fatal Obsession

by Arla
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Fatal Obsession Fatal Obsession by Arla

TITLE: Fatal Obsession
AUTHOR: Arla
EMAIL: arlaj@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: S/J romance; established relationship; angst.
SPOILERS: None given
SEASON / SEQUEL: None
RATING: M
CONTENT WARNINGS: None given
SUMMARY: "Fatal Attraction" SG1 style
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: The song lyrics for "You'll Be In My Heart" belong to Phil Collins.

 


The base was quiet and Samantha Carter-O'Neill was bored silly. She gave a frustrated sigh and turned off the microscope. Sliding off her work stool, she pressed her hands to the small of her back and left them there as she crossed to the door. As Sam stepped out into the corridor and moved down the hall her thoughts went back over all that had happened in the last few months. A soft smile of remembrance crossed her features as her mind dwelled on those memories.

A month after discovering that she was pregnant, she and Jack had been married in a quiet ceremony attended only by their closest friends and family. Since military rules forbade any relationship between her and Jack as long as they were in the same chain of command, Sam had tendered her resignation from the SGC. Sam's smile deepened when her thoughts returned to the day when she had given General Hammond that news. He had accepted her resignation, but had told her that he had discussed the situation with the President and they had both agreed that she was too important a team member to lose. He had told her that they wanted her to stay on with the SGC as a civilian advisor. So here she was six months later, married to the most wonderful man in the world, her body eight and a half months pregnant with his child and she was more happy than
she could ever remember being.

The sound of an alarm brought Sam out of her thoughts.

"Attention all personnel, incoming traveler. I repeat incoming traveler." Graham Simmons' voice came over the P.A. system.

Sam smiled and smoothed down her maternity smock, lovingly caressing the gravid swell of her abdomen. "Why don't we go and see if that's Daddy coming home." she murmured and headed for the embarkation room.

The embarkation room doors stood open as Sam approached. She stepped past the guards and stopped just inside the doorway, searching the room for three familiar faces. Sam smiled when she spotted her former team mates talking with the
General.

Minutes later the group broke apart and each one headed towards the door. Teal'c was the first to reach her. "Welcome back, Teal'c." Sam told him, a warm smile lighting her face.

"Thank you. I trust you are well?" he inquired quietly.

"Quite well, Teal'c." Sam replied with a slightly amused smile.

"Good." he nodded and continued out the door. Sam shook her head in amusement as she watched him leave and then turned to greet Daniel.

"Hey, Sam." Jackson smiled as he leaned forward to press a kiss to her cheek.

"Hi Daniel." she replied flashing him a smile.

"How are we doing?" he asked as he gently patted her tummy.

Sam chuckled. "We're just fine, thank you."

"Glad to hear it." Jackson replied. He patted her stomach one last time before stepping from the embarkation room.

"Hey there, Mrs. O'Neill." Sam smiled at the warm, husky tones of her husband's voice and she turned to face him.

"That's Doctor O'Neill to you Mister." she told him with a playful grin.

"Oh, really?" Jack grinned as he dropped his gear and drew her close.

"Really." Sam countered as she wrapped her arms around his neck, her fingers playfully teasing the hair at his nape. "So, Colonel," she smiled. "Welcome home."

Jack reached out to tenderly caress her cheek. "You sure are a sight for these tired eyes." he whispered and saw the smile in her eyes as he lowered his lips to hers.

"AHEM!"

Sam and Jack broke apart and turned their heads to look at Hammond. His face wore a tolerant and amused expression.

"Mrs. O'Neill, might I remind you that Colonel O'Neill is not off duty yet and as such I would politely ask you to curb your 'activities' until he is." the General finished with a smile.

"Uhm, yes, Sir." Sam replied with a sheepish grin and stepped away from Jack. "Sorry, sir." she added as Hammond gave her a nod and a smile that told her he wasn't angry.

Jack bent down to pick up his gear and then took Sam's hand in his free one, leading her from the room.

They stopped outside the infirmary and Jack leaned down to press a light kiss to her lips. "After I'm through here, Hammond wants a debriefing. Hopefully I won't be too long."

"Okay." Sam smiled. "I'll see you when you are done."

"Count on it." Jack grinned and gave her another quick kiss. He stepped back and winked at her before turning and heading inside. Sam smiled as she watched him move away, then turned and continued down the hall.

A few minutes later, Sam entered the wing where the staff quarters were housed.She stopped and opened the door to hers and Jack's quarters. The room had once been Jack's alone, but when they had married, Daniel, Teal'c and Janet, with Hammond's permission, had surprised them by knocking out part of the wall between Jack's room and the unoccupied quarters next to
his. The room was now a small apartment, complete with a tiny but adequate bathroom.

Sam gave a tired sigh as she stepped inside and closed the door behind her. She crossed to the sofa and sank into its soft, comforting warmth. After a moment she lay down and stretched out on her side. She pulled the afghan from the back of the couch over her and tucked a cushion under her head, intent on catching a short cat nap before Jack returned.


After having been given a clean bill of health from Janet, Jack made his way to the briefing room. As he entered the room he found Daniel and Teal'c already waiting. Jack greeted his team mates and sat down just as Hammond stepped into the room.

Once they had given a full report of their mission, Hammond said. "Well done as always, SG1." the General praised them. "Now I have a small item of additional business. I have decided to add a new member to your team." Hammond told them, and if he noticed Jack's grimace he did not comment.

The General rose and moved to the door. He opened it and a young woman in a dress uniform, dark hair pulled primly back in a bun, stepped into the room and snapped a sharp salute.

"Captain Reynolds reporting as ordered, Sir."

"At ease, Captain." Hammond stated and then turned to face the rest of the team. "SG1, I'd like you to meet your new team-mate, Captain Caryn Reynolds. Captain, this is SG1: Colonel Jack O'Neill, team leader; Dr. Daniel Jackson, civilian advisor and Teal'c."

There were greetings all around the table and then Hammond concluded. "That's all SG1. You're on stand down until 0800 tomorrow. Dr. Jackson, would you show Captain Reynolds to the staff quarters?"

"Of course, sir." Daniel nodded and got up from the table. "Right this way." he told her and the Captain followed him from the room.

"This one's unoccupied." Daniel told Reynolds as they stopped before a door.

"Thank you." she replied and then her eyes moved away and followed O'Neill as he strode down the hall.

Her eyes raked appreciatively and lustfully over his body. ~Nice ass~ she thought and then when he had disappeared. ~Regulations or no, I will have you. One way or another and I always get everything that I want!~
Reynolds turned her eyes away and back to Daniel.

"Thank you." she told him and Jackson nodded. Caryn watched as he moved away, then she opened the door and stepped inside.

Jack stepped inside his and Sam's apartment and closed the door behind him. "Sam?" he called out quietly. "I'm back...." his voice trailed off and he smiled affectionately when he saw her curled up on the sofa sound asleep.

He crossed quietly to her side and leaned over her, brushing a gentle hand down her cheek. Sam stirred at his gentle touch but she did not wake. Jack pulled away the afghan covering her then bent down and picked her up in his arms, pulling her tight against his chest.

"Mmm, Jack." she murmured in her sleep as she instinctively wrapped her arms around his neck, tucking her head in the curve of his neck and shoulder and snuggling close.

Jack pressed his lips to her forehead as he turned and carried her into the bedroom and set her gently down on the bed. He sat at her side, watching her sleep for a moment as he tenderly brushed back her hair and then his hand dropped to caress the swell of her abdomen.

Sam stirred and her eyelids fluttered open. "Mmm, hi." she mumbled, her voice thick and heavy with sleep.

"Hi, yourself." Jack smiled and leaned down to kiss her. "Go back to sleep.. I didn't mean to wake you."

"Mmm'kay." Sam muttered and rolled over onto her side.

"Sweet dreams, m'love." Jack whispered as his lips brushed across the satiny curve of her cheek. Rising from the bed, Jack picked up the quilt that was neatly folded over the end and spread it over Sam, tucking in the ends around her.

Sam awoke and opened her eyes. She was momentarily disoriented, wondering how she had got into the bedroom when the obvious came to her. Upon returning from his meeting, Jack had moved her. She smiled as she sat up and groaned as she rose from the bed. Sam moved to the doorway and the soft sounds of the television greeted her as she stopped and looked into the other room. Jack sat on the sofa, comfortably dressed in only the old pair of sweats he loved to lounge around in.

As if he sensed her presence, Jack turned his head and smiled when he saw Sam standing in the doorway. "Hey." he said as he got up and crossed the room to her side.

"You shouldn't have let me sleep so long." Sam scolded gently.

"You were tired and needed the rest, now more than ever." Jack explained. "Besides, I'll forgive your slothfulness, but only this
once"he teased playfully, running his fingers down her cheek.

Sam chuckled. "Well that's nice of you considering that you're partly responsible for why I'm so tired."

Jack grinned and reached out to rest his hands against her protruding abdomen. "You mean, this." he said with a definitely amused tone to his voice.

"Yes, this." Sam smiled and covered his hands with her own. "And I'll just bet that you enjoyed yourself too."

"OOH, I did." Jack replied and flashed her a saucy grin.

"Mmm, well so did I." Sam purred and stepped into the warmth of his arms. Jack enfolded Sam in his arms and pulled her as close as her gravid belly allowed. His brown eyes were alight with mischief and the first stirring of desire as he brushed her lips with his own and traced the outline with his tongue. Jack was rewarded with Sam's soft moan and his lips left her to trail along her cheek to her ear.

"So," he whispered. "Tell me again what Janet said about how long it was safe to uh....." his voice trailed off and he pulled back to look into her eyes. "You know." he grinned playfully.

Sam smiled. "You know perfectly well what she said, you were there. She told us that it was all right as long as I felt no discomfort."

"Well then," Jack grinned. "In that case, why don't we go into the bedroom and we can celebrate my welcome home properly."

Sam put a slender hand in the center of his chest. "Not so fast, flyboy" she quipped. "Let's take care of one appetite at a time, okay. Right now this little one is screaming for some food. She needs nourishment." Sam smiled softly and took Jack's large hand in hers drawing it to the spot on her abdomen where the baby was kicking furiously. "Feel it?" she asked softly and watched the wonderment and awe chase across Jack's face as he felt the movement beneath his hand.

Jack looked up and met Sam's sapphire gaze. "You're sure this is a girl?" he asked quietly.

"I'm positive. I knew the first time I felt her moving inside me. Besides, I know that we had decided not to ask Janet what the
amniocentisis and Ultra-sound results revealed about the baby's sex, but I couldn't wait any longer and asked her this morning. Janet told me that this is a girl."she gave him an almost sheepish smile, then she reached out to caress his cheek. "Would you rather this was a boy?" she asked him quietly.

"No, Sam, it doesn't matter. Just as long as she's strong and healthy and has her mother's eyes." He replied with a tender smile. "Now come on, let's go, raid the kitchen and get you two some grub. I can't have my two favorite girls go hungry now, can I?"

Sam smiled. "I just need to change." she told him and gave him a quick kiss before turning and moving back into the bedroom.

When Jack stepped into the bedroom a few minutes later to grab a t-shirt he saw that Sam was nearly ready. He grinned when he saw what she was wearing. Sam had on a pair of sweats and an oversized t-shirt that said. 'Air Force Academy----We Kick Ass!'

Jack pulled on a plain white t-shirt and when he had finished, Sam had turned to face him.

"Ready?" he questioned with a grin and she nodded. Sam crossed to his side and Jack slipped an arm around her, leading Sam out of their quarters.

Jack sat next to Sam in the deserted commissary and grimaced as he watched her devour the plate of liver and onions that the cook had graciously made for her.

"UGH!" he commented as he took a sip of his coffee. "I don't know how you can possibly eat that!"

Sam looked up and flashed him a grin as she speared a carrot and popped it into her mouth. "Believe it or not," she told him when she had swallowed. "Before I got pregnant I wouldn't have touched liver even if my life depended on it. Now I can't get enough." Sam finished and took a deep drink of her cold milk.

Jack grinned and gave a light chuckle when she set the glass down.

"What's so funny?"

"You are, milk mustache." he replied and leaned down to wipe away the mustache with his thumb.

Sam returned his grin and then resumed her meal.

A half-hour later they moved through the nearly deserted corridors back to their quarters. They entered moments later and Jack closed the door as Sam continued through to the bedroom. "I'm going to get ready for bed." she told him as she moved away.

Jack smiled and moved through the small front room and turned off the lights before crossing to the bedroom. He stopped in the doorway and smiled at the sight before him. Sam stood in front of the full-length cheval mirror, nude except for a pair of beige silk panties. Jack heard her sigh heavily. "What's the matter?" he asked her quietly and she turned her head to look at him.

"I'm fat." she told Jack with almost a childish pout.

"You're not fat, you're pregnant. And I happen to think that you're beautiful and sexy."

"Oh, yeah?" Sam said as she flashed him a grin. "Well talk is cheap O'Neill. You know what they say, actions speak louder than words."

Jack smiled at the playful invitation and crossed the room in quick easy strides. He stopped mere inches behind Sam. Reaching out, he traced the curve of her spine with his finger and felt the resulting shiver that ran through her body. Leaning forward, Jack pressed his lips to the delicate shell of her ear. "Is that what you want, Mrs. O'Neill?" he teased as he wrapped his arms around her and tugged gently until she was pressed back against his chest. Jack's hands caressed over the satin smooth curve of her abdomen then moved up to cup the heavy weight of her breasts. "Some action?" he continued as his thumbs teased her nipples.

Sam moaned and leaned back against him. Her hand dropped and moved between the close press of their bodies, seeking out and caressing him through the soft material of his sweats. It was Jack's turn to moan as she caressed his growing hardness. Sliding his hands up to her shoulders, Jack gently turned Sam around to face him and pulled her tight to him. "Have I told you today how very much I love you Mrs. O'Neill?" He asked her in a very soft whisper.

"Indeed you have, Mr. O'Neill." Sam smiled softly. "But you can tell me again, or better yet, why don't you show me." she finished with a seductive purr.

"Oh, I will." Jack responded as his lips descended to hers and he preceded to do just that.


Sam sighed contentedly and snuggled back into Jack's embrace, as he lay spooned behind her. He pressed a kiss to the spot behind her ear as his fingers traced lazy patterns on her stomach. Sam stilled his hand, interlacing their fingers and drew his hand up to her mouth. She pressed a kiss to his hand before pulling it close to her chest. "So," she said softly. "You never did tell me how your debriefing went."

"Ah, you know. Same old, same old. Nothing really exciting except that Hammond assigned us a new team member."

"Oh?"

"Yah, a Captain Caryn Reynolds. She seems like she'll work out all right. I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow. Hammond wants to send us out."

Sam nodded and then turned her head back to look at him. "Then you should get some sleep." she told him softly.

"I will, and so should you." he responded as he pressed another kiss to her ear.

"Mmm, I'd love to." Sam responded with a light chuckle as she drew their linked hands back down to her abdomen. "But your daughter has other ideas. She's having more fun kicking me."

Jack smiled, then shifted and sat up. As Sam rolled over onto her back, he moved and rested his cheek against her stomach. His grin widened as he felt the tiny foot pushing against Sam's stomach. "Hey there little girl." he spoke softly. "It's Dad, and I need you to do somethin' for me. You need to settle down so that your mama can get some sleep. I love you precious girl." he finished softly and brushed a kiss over the soft warm flesh before moving back up and leaning over Sam. "She said, okay."
he told her with a grin.

"Oh, did she now?" Sam smiled as she brushed a hand down his cheek.

"Uhm hmm, she promised her old man that she would go easy on you."

"Thank you." Sam grinned and pressed a tender kiss to his lips.

Jack lay down and pulled Sam into his arms. She snuggled close to the comforting warmth of his body, her head coming to rest on his shoulder and her leg draped intimately across him. "Sleep now." Jack whispered softly as his hand brushed through her hair, then down to stroke her back. He felt Sam's answering nod and she released an exhausted sigh. Jack smiled, pulled her tighter against him as he closed his eyes and quietly followed her into dreams.


It was early and Jack moved quietly through the semi-dark room as he prepared to leave. He tried to be as silent as he could, for Sam was still sleeping and he didn't want to wake her. Several minutes later Jack was dressed and his pack rested against the wall near the door. He crossed back into the bedroom and looked down at his slumbering wife. Jack smiled softly as he watched her. Sam lay curled on her side, her arm crossing her breasts at an angle and her hand rested almost protectively on her abdomen. Reaching out, Jack pulled the covers back over her then leaned down to brush a kiss to her cheek. "I love you, wife." he whispered softly, then stepped away from the bed and headed for the door.

"Jack" Sam called out, her voice low and husky from sleep.

"Hey.' he responded , turning back to her with a smile. He crossed back to the bed. "I thought that you were still asleep." he said softly.

"I was." Sam told him with a sleepy smile as she pushed herself up on one arm. "But Miss O'Neill here is doing some very unfair things to my bladder." she smiled.

Jack chuckled and resting one knee on the bed, leaned down and they shared a tender kiss.

"Please be careful." Sam told him quietly.

"Always," Jack smiled. "And you promise me that while I'm gone you won't work too hard. Don't tire yourself out."

"I promise, " Sam replied. "And when you get back......" she deliberately didn't finish and let her hand deliver her point as it
traveled down the front of his uniform and caressed him, re-awaking the tumescence .

Jack stilled her hand and pulled it away from him. "You keep that up and I won't be going anywhere."

"Spoilsport." Sam purred.

"Brat." Jack countered. When Sam grinned he leaned down and kissed her. "Bye." he whispered.

"Bye." Sam replied and watched as he winked and stepped from the room.



The Stargate shut down with a loud whoosh as SG1 stepped through and moved down the ramp. General Hammond was waiting for them at the foot and greeted them with a smile.

"Welcome back SG1. We'll debrief in one hour, just as soon as you're cleared by medical." he ordered.

"All right campers let's go. The Doc's waiting." Jack said and motioned them all towards the door.

Janet Frazier turned back to her patient and frowned when she saw the look of lust in the woman's eyes as she watched Colonel O'Neill. "Captain," Janet stated as she stepped back to the exam table. "Let me give you a little friendly advice and save you a lot of trouble. Don't even consider it because it's never going to happen."

Reynolds shot Janet an angry glare. "And how could you possibly know what I'm considering?" she snapped irritably.

"Because it's written all over your face and I'll be the first, and not the last, to tell you that Colonel O'Neill is married and deliriously happy. What you have in mind will never happen." Janet told the woman with a grin.

"If he spends most of his time here and only sees her on weekends, then it can't be very happy."

"Oh, who said anything about the Colonel only seeing his wife on weekends? I never said that." Janet stated and smiled winningly at the look on the woman's face. For some reason that she couldn't put her finger on, Janet disliked and distrusted this woman. She felt an instant and overwhelming need to protect her friends. "The Colonel's wife works here at SGC." Janet began and then her grin broadened. "Well, what do you know, there she is now." she added as she pointed to the door.

Caryn turned to look over her shoulder and watched as O'Neill crossed to the woman who stood in the doorway. Pure envy and hatred sheeted through her as O"Neill pulled the woman close and gave her a kiss that was more passionate than was proper in a public place. He pulled back and spoke softly to her. The woman threw back her head and Reynolds could hear her delighted laughter at whatever O'Neill had said. The Colonel spoke again and then she watched as he tenderly caressed the pregnant swell of his wife's abdomen.

"Have a nice day, Captain." Janet grinned as she moved away from the woman and greeted Jack and Sam as they stepped back into the infirmary. Caryn jumped down from the table and watched as the three conversed



"We'll see you tonight?" Sam smiled as Janet stepped away.

"Oh, absolutely. I think it's my turn to bring the munchies" Frazier grinned. "See you at seven." she added as she moved away.

With an arm around her waist, Jack led Sam, to the door. "Poker, our place, seven o'clock." Jack said to Daniel as they passed. "Oh, and bring Reynolds with you."

"Will do, see you tonight". Daniel said as they stepped from the infirmary.

The sound of the doorbell reverberated throughout the house and Sam stepped from the kitchen. "I'll get it." she told the others as she moved to the front door.

Jack looked up from where he, Daniel, Teal'c and Reynolds were setting up the poker table. He smiled as his eyes followed Sam as she moved with the graceful waddle that only pregnant women seemed to manage.

Sam opened the door and was greeted by Janet her arms laden with grocery bags.

"Sorry I'm late." Janet said as she stepped inside. "Cassie wanted to spend the night at a friend's and by the time she was ready and I had dropped her off, well you know..."

"That's okay, everyone else just arrived too." Sam smiled and took one of the bags from Janet.

They disappeared into the kitchen and emerged several minutes later. "Jack and I have finally finished the nursery." Sam told Janet as they stepped out.

"Oh, I'd love to see it." Janet smiled.

"Me, too. If you don't mind." Caryn piped in.

"Right this way." Sam stated and moved down the hall. She didn't see the glare that Janet gave Reynolds as she followed.

Sam stopped at a door next to the master bedroom. Opening it she turned on the light and stepped inside.

"Oh, Sam this is lovely." Janet smiled as she looked around the room. It was cheerfully decorated in bright pastels and teddy bear print wallpaper. Matching curtains adorned the window, as well as the crib sheets. A change table and dresser sat on the wall opposite the crib and in the corner sat an antique rocking chair with a goose necked lamp sitting beside it.

"Jack's mother sent us the rocking chair." Sam told her friend with a smile.

"It's exquisite."

"Isn't it? It's been in Jack's family for generations. His ancestors brought it with them when they immigrated from Ireland."

"Hey ladies!" Jack's voice came from the living room. "Hurry up would ya, times a wasting."

Janet and Sam shared a grin as they turned back towards the door.


Caryn felt Janet's eyes on her and her rage increased. The woman had been watching her like a hawk all evening and she knew that the doctor was going to be trouble. Once she got what she wanted, she would take care of the meddlesome bitch once and for all.

"Hey anybody hungry?" Jack asked and a chorus of me's and yes's answered him. "Okay, I guess it's my turn to do sandwich duty." Jack said as he got up from his chair.

"I'll help you." Janet offered and gave a pleased grin at the look of hate on Reynolds face. Janet instinctively knew that the woman had been about to offer her help in order to get close to Jack and Frazier felt intense pleasure at thwarting her plans.

Jack had all the sandwich fixings on the counter when Janet entered. She crossed over to stand beside him and began to help him with the sandwiches. After a moment, Janet looked at Jack and said. "Watch out for Reynolds."

"Why?" Jack asked her with a curious frown . Frazier sighed and told him about her encounter with the woman earlier.

"She wants you, sir, and I get the feeling that she would do anything to make that happen. I even think that she might be capable of hurting Sam."

"I'll consider myself duly warned and I'll keep a close eye on her. Thanks Doc."

Sam got up from her chair with a groan and pressed her hands to the small of her back as she moved away from the table.

"You okay, Sam?" Daniel asked with concern.

"I'm fine, Daniel." she replied and gave him a smile. "The baby's just shifted and she is kicking me in the back."

The phone rang and Sam crossed to answer it. "Hello....oh hello Moira." she smiled. "Yes it arrived the day before
yesterday. It's very lovely, thank you...I'm glad you called, Jack and I wanted to let you and Charles know about the test results..it's a girl. Yes we're excited...all right, I'll put him on." Sam pulled the phone from her ear. "Jack, it's your mother." she called.
"Okay, I'll take it in here." she heard him reply and then "Hi mom." as he picked up the phone and she hung up on her end.

Several minutes later Jack and Janet reentered the room each carrying a serving tray. Jack's contained sandwiches and Janet's an array of drinks. After setting them down on the long buffet Janet turned to Sam and held out a drink. "I mixed you up a Shirley Temple. Jack says you like them."

"Thanks, Janet." Sam smiled and took the fizzy drink from her friend's hand.

"Chow time. Everybody dig in!" Jack called out and everyone got up and approached the buffet. He turned away to look at Sam and upon seeing the look of discomfort on her face he quickly crossed to her side. "Sam, are you all right?" he asked quietly, concern etched deeply on his face.

Sam looked up into his worried brown eyes and gave him a nod and a smile. "I'm okay, your daughter is just kicking me in the back." she explained quietly.

Jack gave her a relieved smile. "Do you want me to massage your back?"

"Mmm, that sounds heavenly."

Taking the glass from her hand , Jack set it on the table beside him and turned back to her. "C'mere" he said softly and Sam stepped into his arms. She rested her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arms loosely around his waist, leaning against him. Pressing the heel of his hand to the small of her back, Jack began to exert gentle pressure and massage away the soreness.

Janet looked up to see Caryn standing in the living room staring at something. The maliciousness in the woman's eyes had Janet following the line of her gaze to Jack and Sam. Janet scowled in the woman's direction then concern for her friend took over and she quietly moved over to them.

"Sam, are you having back pain?" she asked.

Sam turned her head on Jack's shoulder and looked at her friend "Yes, but not the type of pain you're worried about. It's not labour. The baby's just shifted and she's been kicking me in the back."

"You're sure?"

"Positive."

"All right, but if the discomfort gets any worse you tell me immediately." Frazier stated firmly.

"I will. I promise." Sam agreed.

"Good." Janet nodded and then turned away.

"Better?" Jack's voice rumbled softly in her ear and Sam nodded.

"Mmm, much" she said softly as she leaned back. "Thank you." Sam added as she brushed a kiss across his lips.

"I aim to please, ma'am." Jack responded with a boyish grin.

"Really? Well I'm gonna hold you to that."

Jack chuckled and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Hungry?"

"Starving."

"Okay, you sit and I'll grab you a sandwich." he replied and stepped away.

Sam sighed happily then picked up her glass and moved back to the poker table.

Soon everyone was seated and had returned to their game. Several hands later, Caryn excused herself to go to the washroom. Sam also got up and moved behind Jack's chair and wrapped her arms around his neck, leaning forward.

"I'm going to bed." she whispered as she pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Are you okay?" he asked concernedly as he reached to take her hand in his.

"I'm fine, just tired. You all continue playing." Sam finished and pressed another kiss to his cheek.

She stood up and stepped away , moving down the hall. Jack turned his head and watched Sam as she moved to the bedroom. Several minutes later he got up and followed her. He stopped in the doorway and saw her standing by the bed and looking around as though she had misplaced something.

"Hey," Jack said and she turned to look at him.

"Jack, have you seen my nightgown?" she asked him with a frown.

"Which one?" he questioned as he stepped into the room and crossed to her side.

"The peach one you bought for me. I'm certain I left it on the bed."

"Are you sure? Maybe you put it in the laundry." he suggested.

"Positive. I'm pregnant Jack, not forgetful." she told him with a wry smile as she crossed to the dresser and pulled out another nightgown.

Jack chuckled and moved to take Sam into his arms. "I know," he smiled and pressed a kiss to her forehead, then the tip of her nose. "I'm sorry." he murmured against her lips "Am I forgiven?" he added as his lips moved lightly across hers.

"Well, maybe." Sam teased playfully as she ran her fingers through his hair and saw the smile in his eyes as he deepened the kiss.

Jack's hands roamed down Sam's back, finding the hem of her maternity blouse and slipping underneath to caress her warm smooth skin. Deft fingers sought out and expertly unhooked her bra, hands sliding around to cup and tease her breasts.

Sam moaned into his mouth and since turnabout was fair play, Sam's hands caressed down his back to his waist then slipped between the waistband of his sweats and briefs, caressing and kneading the firm muscles and drawing him tighter against her until she felt the heat of his arousal against her thigh.

Too wrapped up in each other, neither were aware of the hate-filled green eyes that watched from the partially open closet door.

"Hey Jack?!" Daniel's voice called from the living room, breaking through their haze of passion. "Are you coming?" Jackson added.

"Not yet," Jack called back "But, I'm close." he added with a grin, looking into Sam's eyes.

"Jack!" she scolded and playfully pinched his ass.

"Ouch!" he cried out. "I'll get you for that!" he threatened with a low playful growl.

"Mmm, I'm sure you will and I look forward to it," Sam purred "But right now Daniel and the others are waiting."

Jack flashed her a grin and pressed a light kiss to her lips. "Sweet dreams Sammy." he whispered and Sam nodded, watching as he moved to the door.

Jack paused in the doorway and flashed her a wink before moving through. "All right Danny boy, deal 'em." She heard Jack call as he moved down the hall. Sam smiled and after picking up her nightgown, moved into the master bath and closed the door.

Caryn watched Sam disappear into the bathroom and then stepped from her hiding place. She glared hatefully at the door and her fist clenched around the peach colored fabric she had in her hands. In her rage she almost shredded the delicate fabric but stopped herself as a malicious smile crossed her features. No, she had a better idea for the nightgown and her smile grew even more sinister as she formulated a plan on how to deal with the soon to be late Mrs. O'Neill. It wouldn't be much longer and Jack would be hers......all hers! Stuffing the nightgown into her handbag she turned and quietly stepped from the room.

Jack sighed tiredly as he closed and locked the door behind everyone. Making his way through the house he turned off the lights then navigated by memory through the dark to the bedroom. The moonlight from the window illuminated the room and allowing him enough light to see Sam's sleeping form. He smiled softly and moved around to his side of the bed. He stripped down to his briefs and climbed in beside Sam. Spooning up behind her, he pulled her back against him and almost instinctively her hand came up to grasp his and pull it close. He tenderly kissed her cheek then closed his eyes and was quickly asleep.


Sam awoke slowly and opened her eyes. The house around her was still and quiet and she smiled softly when she felt Jack's warm presence beside her. She rolled over to see him still sound asleep , sprawled on his stomach and snoring softly. Sam pressed a gentle kiss to his bare shoulder before climbing out of bed and crossing to the bathroom.

Jack was still sleeping when Sam emerged from her shower and so, not wanting to wake him, she dressed quietly and slipped from the room. Sam entered the kitchen and fixed herself some tea and toast for breakfast. She was just finishing her breakfast when the doorbell rang.

She got up from the kitchen table and moved to the front door. Upon opening it Sam saw a delivery man.

"Yes?"

"I have a package for Mrs. Samantha O'Neill." the man stated

"I'm Mrs. O'Neill."

The delivery man nodded and held out a clipboard for her signature. When she was done, she handed the clipboard back to him and he passed her a small rectangular package.

"Have a nice day." he smiled as he moved away.

"Thank you."

Stepping back inside, Sam closed the door and looked at the package. She turned it over and frowned when she saw that there was no return address. She crossed over to the desk and then after setting it down, began to remove the paper.

Jack bolted up in bed when an eerie bone-chilling scream rang through the house. He threw back the covers and rushed from the bedroom. "Sam!" he called anxiously as he entered the living room. She stood by the desk, staring down at something and was shaking and sobbing hysterically.

Jack was at her side in an instant. "Sam, what is it?!" he questioned and when she did not reply he pulled her tight against him and she clung to him as though she would never let him go.

"Shh, "he soothed and then turned his eyes to what she had been staring at. Shock and then pure rage overwhelmed him. Inside the open box on the desk was a newborn sized doll that had been decapitated. It's tiny body was soaked in fake blood and a black rose adorned it, as well as a note that said simply "Yours"

A muscle twitched in Jack's jaw as, in light of what Janet had told him last night, he had a very good idea who was behind this. And when he hadthe proof, she would pay!

"It'll be all right." he whispered as he stroked her hair then he reached for the phone and punched in a speed dial number.

"Janet, I need you over here right now. No, it's not labor but something

else has happened. Okay." He finished and hung up. He maneuvered Sam over to the sofa and sat, gently pulling her down beside him and into his arms.

Several minutes later the bell rang. "It's open!" he bellowed.

Janet stepped inside, carrying her medical bag and when she saw Sam's hysterical condition asked. "What the hell happened?!"

"On the desk." Jack replied and pointed.

Frazier crossed over to the desk and Jack saw the woman's fist clench around the handle of her bag when she saw the contents of the box. "I'll kill that bitch!" she swore as she turned away.

"Get in line, Doc. I'm first!" Jack replied, his voice dripping with anger.

"Why don't we move her to the bedroom." Janet suggested and Jack nodded. He picked up Sam in his arms and carried her to the bedroom, setting her down gently on the bed. Reluctantly he stepped away and let Janet take over. It was then that Jack realized he was dressed only in the briefs he had worn to bed. Crossing to the dresser, he took out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and pulled them on. After casting a worried glance at Sam and Janet he slipped from the room and went to call the police.

When Janet stepped from the bedroom sometime later, Jack was speaking tothe police.

"I'm sorry Detective Sandoval, but my wife isn't up to answering any questions right now." Jack stated firmly.

"Jack?" Janet called as she stepped closer.

"Doc. This is Detective Sandoval and Detective Matkin from the C. S PD. Detectives, Doctor Janet Frazier, my wife's doctor."

"Detectives." Janet nodded. "I have to agree with Colonel O'Neill. Sam's condition right now is very fragile. She's 8 1/2 months pregnant and this incident has sent her blood pressure right through the roof. This condition is extremely dangerous for both her and the baby. She needs to remain calm and avoid any stress until her blood pressure returns to normal. I'm sure that the Colonel can answer your questions quite adequately."

The detective nodded and was about to speak, when. "Jack!! Jack!!!" Sam screamed from the bedroom.

Jack turned and ran, throwing open the bedroom door and had her in his arms, seconds later. "I'm here Sammy, I'm here. Everything's going to be okay." he soothed and slowly rocked her in his arms.

Janet and the detectives had followed and Detective Sandoval stepped forward.

"Mrs. O'Neill could you tell us what happened?"

Jack glared at the young man and barked in his best Colonel voice that usually had young recruits running for the hills.. "Detective Sandoval! I specifically told you that my wife is not up to answering any questions right now!"

"Jack." Sam said softly and he turned his head to look at her. "It's all right. I'll answer the detective's questions."

"Are you sure? Janet said that it's not good for you to get upset."

"I'm sure. This has to be done and I'd rather get it over with."

"Okay." Jack told her and pressed his lips to her forehead. He turned his eyes back to the detectives. "A word of warning. If you upset her, I'm throwing you both out!"

"Understood." Detective Matkin nodded and turned to Sam. "Just take your time, Mrs. O'Neill."

"The doorbell rang at about 10 am. When I answered it there was a delivery man."

"Do you remember what company?"

"UPS, I think."

"Okay, go on."

"He said that he had a package for me. I signed for it and when I got inside I saw that there was no return address. I thought it might have been something from Jack's mother, something for the baby, she sometimes forgets to put the return address, but when I opened the package I found that...." her voice trembled as she finished.

"Do you have any idea who might have sent it?"

"I can't imagine anyone sending something so....sick." Sam told them.

"And you, Colonel O'Neill? Do you have any idea who might have sent this?"

Not wanting to upset Sam any further, Jack said. "My wife needs to rest, perhaps we can continue this outside?"

"Of course." Detective Matkin replied.

Jack turned to Sam. "You rest. Janet and I will be right outside." he said and kissed her gently.

Sam frowned as Jack helped her to settle down. She looked up into his eyes as he pulled the covers around her and pressed a hand to his cheek. "You know something, don't you? What is it you're not telling me?"

"I have my suspicions." he told her honestly. "But nothing concrete."

"Tell me."

Jack shook his head. "Not now. I promise that I"ll tell you later. Just rest now." He told her and tenderly brushed back her hair.

"Okay." Sam nodded.

"Sleep." Jack murmured softly as he pressed a tender kiss to her lips. He watched as Sam nodded and closed her eyes before getting up from the bed and slipping from the room. Closing the door, Jack walked down the hall to the living room and approached the detectives

"You asked a question... I have my suspicions as to who did this but I don't have any proof."

"Who?"

"There's a new member on my team. Since my work is highly classified, I can't tell you much, only that we had no problems of this sort before she signed on with us."

"She, a woman?"

"Yes, Captain Caryn Reynolds, USAF."

"And you think this is some sort of fatal attraction?"

"I do. She's had designs on me since day one and, naturally she sees my wife as a threat. In light of what has happened today, I have great concern for Sam's safety."

"We understand. If you would like, we can assign a couple of officers to your home."

"Well, we return to the base on Monday, so once there this will fall under military jurisdiction and I will have some MP's assigned to guard her."

"Of course. If you let us know when you will be returning home, we will have some officers assigned then."

"I hope to have this all taken care of long before then." Jack stated.

"All right. We'll file a report and do a background check on Captain Reynolds. We'll let you know what we come up with." Detective Matkin stated.

"Of course, thank you." Jack said and saw them to the door.


It was sometime later when Jack walked Janet to the door. "She needs to stay in bed for the rest of the weekend, no walking around other than to go to the bathroom. I'll be back tomorrow to check her BP and if it's lowered sufficiently, she can return to light duty on Monday. However, I am going to monitor her BP until she delivers."

"Okay, thanks Janet." Jack smiled and leaned down to press a kiss to her cheek.

"You're welcome and don't worry, we'll get that bitch and make her pay."

"Oh you can count on that, Doc!" Jack agreed with a feral grin.

Frazier gave him a smile and a nod then stepped from the house. Jack closed the door behind her and returned to the bedroom to check on Sam. He opened the door quietly and saw that she was awake.

"How are you feeling?" he asked softly as he crossed to the bed and sat down beside her.

"Better." she replied and moved to get up.

"Oh no you don't! Janet ordered bed rest for you until Monday, and I'm going to make sure you follow her orders to the letter."

"Jack!" she complained.

"No excuses and no arguments." he stated firmly and tapped her nose with the tip of his index finger.

"Okay." Sam acquiesced and then took his hand. "Jack, you were going to tell me about who you think....."

"Sam."

"Please, Jack." she pleaded and he nodded.

"All right, its' Caryn."

"Caryn!" Sam gasped in stunned shock. "But why? She seemed so nice yesterday."

"Yes, well that was all an act. As to why, she's been coming on to me since our first mission. I didn't say anything because it was obviously one sided and it seemed like just a harmless infatuation. Janet warned me to watch out for her because she felt Reynolds could turn violent, especially towards you since she sees you as a threat."

"I had no idea."

"We didn't want to upset you if there was no basis for Janet's concern and now, Janet and I will be watching her very closely until I can get her transferred off the base. Until then while you're at the mountain, I'm going to have an MP assigned to guard you."

"Jack it isn't necessary.' she protested quietly.

"Yes it is. Nothing's more important to me than yours and our daughter's safety. I had happiness once before and had it taken away by one careless act. I was fortunate enough to find happiness again and I'll be damned if I'll lose it this time. I won't let some psycho bitch take away what we have. I'd do anything, I'd die if it meant keeping you both safe. I even kill to stop someone from hurting you." he added softly.

"Please don't say that."

"Why? It's true. You two mean more to me than my own life."

"Jack."she whispered softly, tears in her eyes as she raised a hand to caress his cheek then leaned forward to press a tender kiss to his lips.

"Now, " Jack said softly. "What can I do for you?"

"Just stay, stay and hold me. Make me feel safe."

Jack nodded and kicked off his shoes before getting up and moving to the other side of the bed. Pulling back the covers, he slipped into bed and pulled Sam into his arms. She snuggled close settling her head on his shoulder, her hand coming to rest on the flat plain of his belly, her fingers idly caressing.

"You're safe." Jack whispered, his lips pressed to her forehead. "I'll keep you safe."

"I know." Sam murmured and closed her eyes. Her fingers found the hem of his t-shirt and slipped beneath tracing lazy patterns across his warm flesh.

Jack smiled as he pulled her tight against him. The lazy motion of her fingers soon slowed and then stilled, telling him that she was finally asleep. He pressed a kiss to the top of her head, nose nuzzling the silky softness of her hair and inhaling it's delicate floral fragrance then he closed his eyes and followed her into dreams.




General Hammond looked up when there was a sharp knock on his door. "Enter!" he barked and the door immediately swung open. "Colonel O'Neill, what can I do for you?"

"I have a request, Sir. I'd like to look at Captain Reynolds' service record."

"May I ask why?" Hammond inquired.

"It's personal, Sir."

"Colonel....."

"It's not what you think and it's not for me." Jack began and then took a deep breath. "Sir, I have reason to believe that Cpt. Reynolds could become violent and turn on Sam."

Hammond frowned. "Explain Colonel."

Jack pinched the bridge of his nose and released a heavy sigh then began to tell the General everything: Reynolds' obsession with him and the "present" he believed she had sent to Sam. When he had finished, Jack could see anger coloring the older man's eyes as he got up and crossed over to the filing cabinet. Hammond opened a drawer and pulled out a file folder. Turning back to O'Neill he held it out. "I hope you find what you're looking for, Colonel."

"Me too, Sir." Jack responded quietly as he took the folder then turned and stepped from the room. Jack moved down the hall to his office. He entered and slid behind his desk. Opening the file he began to read. He wasn't exactly sure what he was expecting to find and as he read through the woman's military history he was surprised. Reynolds' record was excellent, of course it had to be in order for her to have been assigned to the Stargate project, but there was something almost too perfect about her record. Something was niggling at Jack. Reynolds had several transfers during the course of her career and had been given glowing recommendations from nearly all of her previous C.O's. Something about that didn't track and made Jack suspicious. He got the feeling that the recommendations had been given under duress or in order to get rid of her. Could that be it?

Looking at the name of the captain's previous C.O., Jack found that the man was stationed in Colorado Springs. Picking up the telephone he made a call.

"General Stewart's office."

"This is Colonel O'Neill from the Cheyenne Mountain Complex. I'd like to speak with the General please."

"One moment."

"Stewart!" the man's gruff voice announced seconds later.

"Hello, Sir. I'm Colonel O'Neill......"

"Yes, yes, my secretary told me. Are you with the Stargate project?"

"Uhm, yes sir. I'm one of the team leaders."

"I see. How can I help you, Colonel?"

"Well, sir, I have a member of my team that I'm quite concerned about and I have learned transferred in from your office."

"Who?"

"Cpt. Caryn Reynolds."

"I'm sorry I can't help you." he said brusquely.

"Please, sir don't hang up. Just give me five minutes."

"All right. I'm listening."

"I have a serious problem with the Captain and I need to know if this type of thing has happened before."

"What kind of problem?"

"Cpt. Reynolds has developed an intense obsession towards me and although I can't yet prove it, this obsession has led to hateful actions directed towards my wife."

"She didn't hurt her did she?" the General sounded extremely concerned.

"No, sir but she did scare her, very badly and in my wife's present condition....."

"Her condition?"

"Yes she's 8 1/2 months pregnant."

"Oh hell." Stewart muttered. "From first hand experience, Colonel, I can say that you've got a very dangerous situation on your hands."

"I know that, sir. Can you tell me anything more?"

"Yes, but not over the phone. We'll have to meet. Memorial Park, one hour, near the fountain."

"I'll be there." Jack added as the man hung up.

Jack looked at his watch and swore under his breath. He had just enough time to make it but only if he left right away. Jack made a quick call to Hammond and informed him of his plans and then quickly went to find Sam.

The guard on duty outside the lab nodded as Jack passed him and stepped inside. He smiled when he saw Sam sitting at one of the work tables. He crossed the room to stand behind her. He leaned forward until his lips were near her ear. Having smelled his aftershave, Sam was alerted to his presence. She smiled and said. "And what are you doing here?"

"Checking up on you." he chuckled and brushed his lips over her ear.

"I'm fine, Jack."

"Good. I also wanted to let you know that I have some business off base and will be back in a couple of hours."

"Is something wrong?" she questioned with a frown as she turned on the stool to face him.

"Nothing for you to worry about. I'll tell you when I get back. Promise me something while I'm gone."

"What?"

"Promise me that you won't go anywhere without the guard."

"Jack...."

"Please Sammy, humor this ole' flyboy." he asked with a boyish grin.

"All right I won't go anywhere without my faithful watchdog. But only for you." she added and rested her hand against his cheek.
Jack turned his head, pressing a kiss to the center of her palm. "Thank you." he whispered, then brushed a tender kiss to her lips. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Okay." Sam replied and watched as Jack flashed her a wink before striding from the room.



The General was already waiting when Jack approached .

"Colonel O'Neill?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Have a seat and I'll tell you what I can." the man said and indicated one of the benches. Once they were both seated the General began. "Captain Reynolds was assigned to my staff a little over a year ago. Almost immediately, it seems, she set her eyes on me. At first it was just little things and,well, I was flattered. She was young, beautiful and my wife and I were going through a bad patch at the time. Cpt Reynolds accompanied me on a trip to Washington and well, one thing led to another and we ended up spending the night together. I'm not proud of what happened, in fact, I was extremely guilty and told her that it would never, could never happen again." the General paused and released a sigh. "That was the worst mistake of my life. No, actually, getting involved with that woman was the worst mistake I ever made. After I broke it off, that's when the harassment began. Not only against me but my family. My wife especially. Never once though did I ever suspect that she'd turn violent."

"But she did."

"Yes, she broke into my home one night when my wife was alone. She came at her with a knife and by the time I got home, Marie was almost dead..." the General's voice took on a haunted quality. "She turned on me and I was able to subdue her. She took off and I told the police that we were attacked by an unknown assailant."

"But why?"

"Many reasons, fear mostly. By admitting who had attacked us, I would have also had to admit that I'd had an affair with a subordinate officer----a court martialable offense as you well know. It was easier to just get her transferred."

"And so, now she's at the SGC and is harassing my wife." Jack said firmly.

"I'm sorry. I know that I was wrong, terribly wrong."

"Well, thank you General. You've been very helpful." Jack said as he stood up. "I can assure you that this time she won't get away with it."



Leaving her watchdog on guard outside, Sam stepped into the infirmary in search of Janet. The doctor was still watching her blood pressure and wanted Sam to stop by and have it checked. The doctor stepped out of a back room just as Sam entered. "Have a seat on one of the exam tables, Sam, and I'll be with you in a minute."

"Okay." Sam replied and moved to one of the tables. Using the little step stool that was underneath, she stood on it and sat on the exam table, her back to the door.

Caryn moved down the hallway. Her plan was already in motion. Seeing the guard outside the infirmary she smiled. He would not stop her from achieving her goal. Reynolds paused and pulled a small bottle from her pocket. She pulled out the stopper and poured the chloroform into a small handkerchief. Putting the bottle back into her pocket, she hid the cloth behind her back and continued on. She stopped in front of the guard and flashed him a sweet smile.

"Airman."

"Ma'am" he responded.

Reynold's hand shot out and before the guard could react she had the cloth pressed tightly over his mouth and nose. He struggled but the cloying sweet smell quickly overpowered him and he sank to the floor.

"One down." she quipped and moved to the doorway.

Reynolds looked inside and scanned the room. It was empty save for Frazier and Sam, both of whom had their backs to the door. "Perfect." she grinned. "Absolutely perfect."

Janet looked down at the report she held in her hands. "Be right with you, Sam." she called out without looking up and heard the woman's answering "Okay."
Frazier gasped when an arm snaked around her neck and a cloth pressed tightly to her mouth and nose. Janet instantly recognized the scent of chloroform and tried to fight against it but the effort was futile. Just before darkness enveloped her, a familiar voice sounded in her ear.

"I'd just as soon slit your throat!"

Caryn watched with a pleased smile as the doctor slid bonelessly to the floor. She gave the woman a swift kick in the ribs before turning on her intended victim. She glared at the woman's unsuspecting back and her smile grew evil as she thought about what she had set up to take care of her. Soon......very soon.

An almost giddy sense of elation filled Reynolds as she quietly snuck up behind O'Neill's wife. She quickly subdued her and the woman fell sideways onto the exam table. Grabbing a wheelchair, Caryn hauled Sam into it and pushed her towards the door. She stopped, peering out into the hallway and when she found it deserted, pushed the wheelchair out of the infirmary, heading for the elevator.

It was only a few minutes later when the car arrived and Caryn pushed the chair inside and punched a button, sending the car on it's descent to the sub basement, 2 levels below.

Reynolds stood back and admired her handiwork with an evil grin. Everything was perfect. She walked back to Sam and leaned over the still unconscious woman.

"Jack is mine!" she said in a low possessive growl, punctuating the statement by giving Sam a sharp slap to her face. "Have a nice death, Mrs. O'Neill." she chuckled, then stepped away and crossed to the door, closing it behind her.



Jack stepped off the elevator with an urgent need to find Sam and make sure that she was all right. He checked the lab first and when it was empty he turned and headed for the infirmary. Jack's gut clenched when he saw the unconscious guard outside the door. He ran and knelt beside the guard checking for his pulse. He found it beating steady and strong beneath his fingers and the young man's low moans told him that he would be waking up soon. Leaving the guard, Jack rushed into the infirmary and his worry increased when he saw Janet.

"Janet?" he questioned as he shook her. "Janet wake up! Where's Sam?"

The doctor groaned and Jack helped her to sit up. "Oh my head!" Frazier moaned.

"Janet, what happened? Where's Sam?" he questioned anxiously.

"It was chloroform." she explained, pressing her hands to her throbbing head. "Jack, it was Reynolds.."

"Shit!" he swore. "Are you gonna be okay?"

"Fine, you just go and find Sam." Janet told him. Jack nodded and got up, moving quickly from the room.



Sam moaned, wondering why she had such a pounding headache. She tried to move her hand and frowned when she found it restrained. ~What the hell happened!?~ she thought. The last thing that she remembered was sitting in the infirmary waiting for Janet. Sam opened her eyes and gasped, her body filling with abject terror. She was strapped down on some kind of table, her arms and legs secured with ties. Above her was an intricate rope and pulley system and at the end of the ropes, swinging above her, one near her chest and the other her abdomen, were two knives. When she turned her head, Sam saw that the
ropes were tied to hooks embedded in the walls and beneath the ropes attached to the knives were lit candles that were slowly burning through the ropes. She had to get free before the ropes burned and the knives plunged towards her. Sam began tugging her left hand and ankle, hoping to work the ties loose.



~Now, where the hell would she take Sam!?" Jack thought as he moved down the hall towards their quarters. He instinctively knew that he didn't have much time and he had to find Sam before it was too late. The whole base was searching for Reynolds and Jack prayed that someone would find her soon.

He pushed open the door and immediately knew that something was wrong. The sweet scent of fragrant candles permeated the small living quarters. Jack moved silently to the bedroom and stopped in the doorway. The red haze of rage filled him as he looked in at what awaited him.

The lights were out and the bedroom was lit only by dozens of scented candles scattered about the room. Reynolds reclined in the center of the bed, wearing Sam's peach nightgown.

"Welcome home, Jack." she purred seductively. "I've made sure that we could be alone."

Jack fought down the urge to lunge across the room and wrap his hands around her throat. ~Easy, Jack.~ he admonished himself. ~ Time to calm down and find out what she did with Sam~

Pushing down his rage, Jack smiled. "Really?" he grinned as he approached the bed. "And how did you manage that?"

Caryn smiled and got up from the bed, moving to stand in front of him. She pressed her hands to his chest. "Oh I took care of that bitch of a wife of yours." she told him with a purr.

A muscle twitched in Jack's jaw, but Caryn did not notice it. She slid her hands up Jack's chest to his shoulders and pressed herself close. "We can be together now. She can't keep us apart any longer." she purred as she pressed her lips to his jaw and began to trail a path to his lips.

Jack fought down his revulsion and let the woman kiss him. "What did you do to her?" he murmured against her lips.

Caryn pulled her head back and the evil Jack saw in her eyes filled him with dread. "Oh, I'd say that about now she's quite rightly skewered." she chuckled.

Jack lost it then, his rage and worry overrode all else. His hand lashed out and grasped Reynolds by the throat, his thumb and forefinger pressing on either side of the woman's larynx until she was gasping and wheezing. "Where is she!?" he ground out and increased his hold. "Tell me or I'll rip your throat out!" he shouted.

"Down two levels.....first door." she gasped.

Jack released the woman uncaring as she dropped to the floor. He rushed for the door, throwing it open and ran out into the hallway in time to see Daniel, Teal'c and two guards come down the hall.

"You!" he barked to the MP's "Take the women in there and throw her in the brig. See to it that she stays there!"

"Aye sir." they responded and hustled through the open door to Jack's quarters.

"Do you know where Sam is?" Daniel asked anxiously.

"Yes, two levels down. Daniel, get Janet and follow us."

"Right." Jackson nodded and took off in a run towards the infirmary.

Teal'c followed silently as Jack ran to the elevator. "Come on, come on, come on!!!" he called out as they waited for the car
to appear. As soon as the door opened he was inside.


The ropes securing Sam's left wrist and ankle snapped at the same time as the rope holding the knives above her. She was able to shift and prevent the knife from plunging into her heart. It hit instead, plunging deeply into her shoulder and pinning her to the table beneath while the second blade sliced through the side of her abdomen.

The elevator doors opened to emit Jack and Teal'c just as Sam's scream of agony rang out.

"SAM!!!" Jack bellowed, fear filling him as he ran and flung open the door.

His gut clenched in fear and horror at the sight before him. The blood! There was so much blood!!

A low whimpering cry from Sam spurred him to action. Jack ran to her side and after releasing her still bound right hand and ankle he leaned over her icy fear gripping his heart in it's vice like talons. Her eyes were closed and her face white from shock. When he rested his hand on her forehead her skin was cold and clammy. "Sam." he said, voice tight with emotion. "I'm here Sammy, everything's going to be okay."

She turned her head towards him and her eyes fluttered open, their blue depths pain filled. "Jack....it hurts." she moaned.

"Shh..." he soothed as he brushed back her hair. "I know. Just hang on. Janet's on the way."

No sooner had he spoken the words when Janet rushed in with a nurse in tow. The doctor swore when she saw Sam and was quickly at her side. She examined the wound in Sam's side first, concerned that it had cut through to the baby. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that it looked worse than it actually was.

"Janet." Sam's pain filled voice drew her attention from the wound and she moved closer. Sam's right hand reached out to grasp the doctor's wrist. "Save my baby." she whispered tearfully.

"I'm going to save you both. You just hold on to that thought..' Frazier told her firmly before turning to look at the knife wound in her shoulder. She winced.

"Janet?" Jack asked anxiously.

Frazier looked up to meet his worried eyes across the table. "The knife's gone through her shoulder and has pinned her to the table. We have to take it out in order to move her."

Jack gave a nod and Janet turned to Sam. "Sam." she called quietly and the woman's eyes fluttered open. "I have to take the knife out so we can move you. It's gonna hurt like hell."

Sam nodded. "Jack?" she called, reaching for his hand.

"Right here, babe." he said softly and took her hand, grasping it tightly.

Janet grasped the knife and then looked at Sam. "Ready?"

"Do it."

Janet nodded and then with one swift yank, pulled the knife from Sam's shoulder and as the woman's scream died out she lost consciousness.

"All right, let's get her up to the infirmary STAT!" Janet snapped and they quickly transferred Sam to a gurney.

It was only minutes later when they rushed into the infirmary. "I want 4 units of A+ standing by , and get a fetal monitor on her STAT....I'm concerned about that baby!" Janet ordered crisply then looked over at Jack who still clutched Sam's hand tightly in his.

"Jack...." she began , prepared to throw him out.

"I'm staying Janet!" he stated firmly and Frazier relented.

"All right, just stay out of our way!"

Jack nodded and Frazier turned to her patient. "Menendez, I need your help!" she called out and her assistant rushed over. "Start on that shoulder while I take care of this side wound." Janet said and then turned to her nurses. "Start an IV line and 1 unit of whole blood."

Not waiting to see if her orders were carried out, and instinctively knowing that they were, Janet slipped on a fresh pair of gloves and began attending to Sam's side wound.

Janet was just finishing up and glanced up to see that Menendez was also nearly finished when a nurse called.

"Doctor Frazier, where losing the fetal heart rate."

Janet swore under her breath. "I was afraid of this." she added.

"What? What is it?" Jack questioned anxiously.

"The shock to Sam's body has caused the baby to go into distress and we're losing the heart beat." she explained to Jack and then turned to the nurse. "Prep her for an emergency C-section."

"You're going to take the baby?" Jack questioned.

"It's the only way to save them both. If I don't, your daughter will die."

Jack nodded.

"Do you want to stay?"

"I'm not budging!"

"Okay." Frazier agreed. "Sally, get the Colonel into a mask and gown." she ordered. Jack went with the nurse and by the time that he returned, they had Sam ready. As he neared the exam table, Jack saw that she had regained consciousness.

"I've given you an epidural," Janet was explaining. "And I want you to tell me immediately if you feel any pain."

"Okay." Sam nodded and then turned her head and saw Jack.

"Hey." he said as he took her hand and after reading the fear in her eyes, he leaned down and spoke close to her ear. Using his free hand, he tenderly brushed back her hair.

"Everything's gonna be okay." he soothed and even though Sam nodded in agreement her blue eyes were filled with tears.

"I'm scared, Jack." she told him softly.

"I know babe. So am I." he told her softly. "But, we'll get through this together. No matter what happens."

"I'm going to start now, Sam." Janet told her.

"Okay."

It was several minutes later when Janet said. "I'm almost through." and then "There she is... I've got her." Frazier finished as she pulled the infant from Sam's womb.

"Is she okay?" Sam asked fearfully and after a few seconds of tense silence there was a soft snuffling cry which soon grew louder.

"I'd say she's just fine." Janet smiled. "I just need to examine her, Sam and then you can hold her." she finished and stepped away. "Dr. Menendez, can you close please?" she added as she carried the baby away.

As Dr. Menendez moved in, Sam dropped her head to the pillow, closing her eyes as tears rolled down her cheeks. She felt Jack as he leaned over and rested his head next to hers and she turned her head towards him, pressing her cheek to his.

"I'm sorry." he whispered in her ear and Sam opened her eyes. She looked up and could read the anguish in his dark gaze.

"Why?" she asked softly.

"Because I told you that I'd keep you safe and I failed. I never should have left you....."

"Shh, It's not your fault. Don't go blaming yourself for something you had no control over. You couldn't have known what she would do."

Jack nodded and moved his head until their foreheads rested against the other.

A soft noise beside them had both Sam and Jack looking up. Janet gave them a smile as she approached the table. "She's perfect." she told them. "There were no complications except for a minor problem called Respiratory Distress Syndrome. It's common in premature infants and is easily treated with oxygen. Don't worry, she's fine." Janet assured the new parents. "The nurses are just cleaning her up and will bring her to you shortly."

"Thanks, Janet." Sam said, relief coloring her features.

"You're welcome." Frazier smiled. "Now, let's get you settled." she added as she bent to examine the sutured wound in her shoulder.

A moment later, Frazier reapplied the bandage to Sam's shoulder. "Your shoulder should heal nicely. The same goes for the wound in your side. You'll have a couple of nice scars to show for this. As for the cesarean, I used an incision called a bikini cut, so once it's healed it'll be barely noticeable. Now, are you in any pain?"

"No." Sam shook her head.

"Okay, just let the nurse know if you start feeling any pain and she'll give you something."

"Thanks, Janet."

"No problem. Now I'm going to have you moved to a bed and as soon as you are settled, I'll have your daughter brought to you." Janet said and looked up at Jack. "You'll have to excuse us for a moment. You can return just as soon as Sam is settled."

"All right." Jack nodded and leaned over Sam. "Be right back." he told her and tenderly brushed back her hair.

"Okay." she replied and watched as he stepped away and crossed to the door. He stripped of the mask and gown, tossing them into a laundry bag. Jack turned and flashed her a smile and a wink before stepping from the infirmary.

Daniel and Teal'c and even General Hammond stood outside, anxiously waiting for news.

"How is she, Jack?" Daniel asked worriedly.

Jack sighed and then gave them all a smile "Sam's okay." he told them quietly. "Janet had to perform a cesarean because the shock caused the baby's heart beat to drop. We have a little girl and Janet says she's going to be all right."

"Congratulations." Daniel smiled and patted his back

"That's wonderful news, Son." Hammond smiled and took his hand, shaking it firmly. "Congratulations."

"Thank you, sir."

"I offer my congratulations also. "Teal'c told Jack

"Thanks Teal'c."

"Colonel, I thought that you would like to know, " Hammond said "I've started the proceedings to have Reynolds completely stripped of her rank and dishonorably discharged. She's being transferred to Levenworth and will stand trial for her actions."

"Thank you , sir."

"There's no need to thank me, Colonel. We take care of our own."

Just then they turned when the infirmary door opened and one of Janet's nurses stuck her head out.

"Colonel O"Neill, you can come back in now."

Jack replied with a short nod and stepped back inside. The nurse looked at the others.

"It will be a few more minutes before you can visit. I'll let you know." she finished and disappeared back inside.

Jack crossed the infirmary to where Sam was sitting propped up in bed. He smiled as he approached her, and although she returned his smile, Jack could read the tiredness in her features. "How ya doin' babe?"he asked softly as he reached her side and pressed a tender kiss to her lips.

"I'm okay." Sam murmured quietly then shifted so that Jack could sit beside her on the bed. He settled down and slipped his arm around her and pulled her gently against his side. Leaning down, Jack rested his cheek against the top of her head.

Several minutes later, Janet stepped back into the room. "Here she is." she smiled as she carried a small blanketed bundle. Reaching the bed, Janet passed the baby to Sam. Sam took her and pulled the baby close.

"I'll be back in a little while to see how you are doing." Janet said quietly.

"Thanks, Janet." Sam replied, looking up from her baby to give her friend a grateful smile.

"Any time." Frazier smiled and returned Jack's grateful nod before stepping away.

"She's so beautiful." Sam murmured softly. "I can't believe she's really here."

"Well, she is." Jack said softly as he once more rested his cheek against the top of her head. His hand reached out to tenderly brush over their daughter's soft dark head. "She's here, she's perfect, she's beautiful and she's ours."

Sam turned her head so that she could look into his eyes. She smiled and whispered. "Thank you."

"No, thank you." Jack told her in a tender whisper and reached out to run the back of his hand down her cheek. "Because of you I have something back that I thought I had lost forever."

"And what's that?" Sam asked quietly.

"Faith, hope, peace, a future, and so much more." he said softly.

"I love you Jack O'Neill." she told him with a teary smile.

"I love you too, Sammy, more than I could ever tell you." he murmured.

Reaching out he laid his fingers alongside her cheek and gently drew her mouth to his, kissing her tenderly.

They broke apart and looked up when someone close by cleared their throat.

"Sorry to interrupt." Janet said "But I have some people outside who are getting just a little anxious. Are you up to some visitors?"

"Sure." Sam nodded.

"Okay, but feel free to throw them out when you get tired."

"I will."

Several minutes later the doctor returned with Daniel, Teal'c, and Hammond in tow. Daniel smiled as he approached them and stopped beside the bed. "Congratulations." he said as he leaned down to press a kiss to Sam's cheek.

"Thanks, Daniel." she replied quietly.

"Now, let's see this little one." he said quietly as he reached out and gently pushed back the blanket so he could get a good look at the baby.

"Oh, she's beautiful." Daniel gushed in a soft, awed whisper.

Hammond looked at them from the foot of the bed and smiled. "Congratulations to you both."

"Thank you, sir." Sam and Jack replied in unison.

Teal'c was strangely quiet as he looked at them and Sam instinctively knew that he was thinking about his family.

"Teal'c?" she questioned softly and he looked up at her.

"I am pleased that things are well with you both." was all he said.

Janet approached, taking in the group with a smile. She moved to stand on the opposite side of the bed. "Have you chosen a name for her yet?" she asked curiously.

Sam and Jack shared a look and a smile. When Jack nodded Sam turned back to the group.

"We have. Meet Kaitlyn Faith O'Neill." she said with a tender smile.



Jack moved through the near silence of the house, turning off the lights. As the living room light went out the house was plunged into semi-darkness. Only the moonlight streaming in through the patio doors and the soft glow from a light at the end of the hall provided enough illumination as he made his way down the hall. His bare feet made no

sound on the plush carpet as he headed to the bedroom. As he drew near the nursery he smiled when he heard Sam's husky soprano as she sang Kaity a lullaby.

He stopped in the doorway and watched silently. Sam sat in the rocking chair nursing Kaity and her eyes were downcast and her face full of tenderness.

"Come stop your crying it'll be all right
Just take my hand, hold it tight.
I will protect you from all around you
I will be here, don't you cry

For one so small, you seem so strong
My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm
This bond between us, can't be broken
I will be here, don't you cry.

'Cause you'll be in my heart
Yes, you'll be in my heart
From this day on
Now and forever more

You'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
You'll be here in my heart always
Always."

Sam's voice trailed off softly and Jack's smile broadened as he watched her as she got up from the rocking chair. She carried a sleeping Kaitlyn to her crib and settled her down, pulling the blanket up over her shoulders. Sam's fingers tenderly brushed over the top of the dark head. "Sweet dreams, my little Kaitybug." she whispered softly and then smiled when she felt Jack behind her. His arms stole around her waist and he pulled her back against him. As her hands came up to hold his close he pressed a kiss to the curve of her neck and shoulder, nuzzling the soft fragrant skin.

"Come to bed, it's late." he said softly.

"I know. I just can't stop looking at her. I feel like I could stand here and watch her sleep forever."

"Mmm, me too." Jack said as he pressed his lips to her ear. "But you're tired and Kaity's going to be up again soon enough for her next feeding. You need to get some sleep."

"I know, I'm coming." Sam responded softly then turned in his embrace.

Jack pressed a gentle kiss to her lips before turning to the crib. He reached in and stroked the top of Kaity's head. "Precious girl." he murmured then turned back to Sam and slipped an arm around her waist, leading her quietly from the nursery.


If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Arla