Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

100 Days

by Amy Robinson
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
100 Days

100 Days

by Amy Robinson

Title: 100 Days
Author: Amy Robinson
Email: amy_robinson@email.com
Category: Series
Episode related: 317 A hundred days
Season: any Season
Pairing: Daniel/other, Jack/other
Rating: PG
Warnings: language
Summary: if you've read the others you might be interested in reading this one.
Sequel to: 1998
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

BC - 1998 - 100 days

"You said that the wormhole engaged but the MALP was flattened like there was an iris on the other side?" asked Doctor Thompson, dragging her hair out of her face as she sat up.

"Yes, that's what I said." The two women had been brain storming for the past thirty-six hours with no sleep and little food though they were staging a world record attempt at coffee consumption.

"That's it! Shit - why didn't I think!?" she bolted off her chair and slammed into the seat before the computer, typing furiously.

"What?" asked Sam, looking over her shoulder to get a hint as to what she'd figured out.

"While you were on Endora I was told to review past missions, problems with defence and I remember reading something..." she trailed off, eyes scanning over the list of missions on the monitor before picking one out and opening the file. "Look at this. A guy called 'Sokar' bombarded the iris with a particle stream which heated up the iris-"

"If we bombard Endora with particles it would heat up the rock to form a pocket of superheated gas-"

"And then all we have to do is activate the Stargate again. This is it! Major, you are a fucking genius!" crowed Lex half leaping into the air.

"Hang on a minute, we don't have a particle-beam generater."

"Details, details." She fobbed off with a wave of the hand, "We'll just have to build one."

"It could take months."

"Maybe but at least we'll get him back - I know you care for him as much as I do else you wouldn't have just sat here for the past thirty-odd hours trying to come up with a plan to get him out of there. You know if you don't do this you'll never forgive yourself. I lost him once, I won't lose him again."

"No need for a speech, I would've done it anyway."she couldn't stop an elated grin from washing over her face. Damn they were good. She looked at her watch and was surprised to find it was only early evening though when you're under a moutain pulling an allnighter and then some you're bound to lose track of time. "I'll go talk to the General - why don't you go home and get some sleep, we'll start first thing in the morning."

Alexandra nodded, a gleam of hope in her eyes. Yesterday there had been no hope of ever getting him back but today? Today it was certain because he had two very smart women on his side who weren't going to stop for no man. "Lily's probably wondering where I am - first week on the job and I'm already pulling all nighters."

Sam looked at her questioningly but declined to ask.

"Lily's my daughter, I've left her alone in a strange country for the past three days so I'll probably have to cook tea to make it up to her."

"She's been on her own all this time?"

"No need to worry - she's almost twenty-nine."

"And she still lives at home?"

"She just went through a bad break-up and when I got the job offer over here I suggested she come with me for a fresh start." She explained, tying her hair back, "You'd like her, I think - she's not as bad mouthed as me. Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow and make sure you get some sleep."

Carter nodded though she knew that she'd be kipping in her base accommodation. "Night."

The house lights were off when Lex arrived home which was hardly surprising considering that dusk has barely settled over the city but left her unsure of her daughter's whereabouts. Pulling her car into the drive she wiped a tired hand over her tired eyes and pulled her case out of the car with her, fumbling for her keys in her coat pocket before unlocking the door and calling out, "Lily? You home?"

"It's about time, I was about to start tea." A young woman, about 5"6, with blonde hair and deep brown eyes jogged down the stairs in blue jeans and white jumper. "God, you look awful."

"Sorry, it's been a bit hectic." She droned, shirking off her coat and throwing it over the banister and making her way into the kitchen. "Fancy a cuppa?"

"I'll make it - why don't you sit down?"

"Because if I sit down I'll never get back up." She laughed, filling the kettle and retrieving two mugs from the cupboard. "What have you been up to?"

"Decorating, what else? I managed to finish wallpapering the bedrooms and I bought some new lamps and bedcovers yesterday - it's looking pretty good up there."

"I'm sorry I stuck you with all this, I had meant to be home last night." She poured the milk into the mugs and returned it to the fridge, reaching for the sugar.

"That's okay, gives me something to do until Dennis gets back to me." She tossed her shoulder length hair and slid onto a stool.

"He still hasn't called? I thought the proofreader finished with the book last Friday."

"She did but sometimes it takes a while to get everything in order - they have to sort the poems into sections and choose a layout etc." she sighed, "What if he doesn't like them?"

"Of course he likes them - they're brilliant."

"You have to say that, you're my mother."

"If I thought it was shit I'd tell you."

"Language mother!" lily scolded.

"What?! I'm not old enough to swear - I've heard a few choice words escape your lips over the years."

"But you bring swearing to a new level sometimes."

"Well you can write that on my gravestone - 'Devoted mother, genius, she brought swearing to a new level.'"

Lily rolled her eyes, "Everybody else got normal parents and I got you."

"Which reminds me, I have something to tell you." Lex spoke offhandedly like it hadn't been playing on her mind for the past three days.

"What?"

"I found your father." She cringed inwardly but she really couldn't think of an easier way to break it to her daughter so she continued making the tea.

"You found my father? When? Where?"

"He's working on the base, I bumped into him on my first day."

"You bumped into him three days ago and you've waited until now to tell me!? Why?"

"Because since then he's gone MIA and I wasn't sure about telling you."

"Did you have time to tell him about me?"

"I'm sorry, honey, I tried..." she bowed her head, "I'm doing my best to get him back."

"What did he say when you saw him?"

"He said that he stayed in the USAF doing black ops before he got married and had a son."

"So I have a stepmother and half brother now?"

"No, Charlie was killed in an accident and the marriage broke up not long after. You've been waiting to meet your dad for twenty eight years, I don't think a few more months will hurt."

"What's he like?"

"Jack's tall, slim - but not skinny - and so strong; he's got brown hair, maybe a little grey in places and these beautiful deep brown eyes, just like yours. He's the funniest man I've ever known even if he is a bit dry and insulting sometimes and he always pretends he isn't as smart as I know he is. Back in the sixties he was a rebel without a cause, tearing up the roads on his bike and knocking out anyone who looked at him the wrong way but at the same time he was so sweet and romantic. Now he's just as kind but he's trained himself to hold back a lot - I could see it in his eyes while we were talking. He's a stubborn bastard when he wants his own way but he's also dedicated to the people he cares about and the work he does. He's like Jack O'Neill; a gentleman and a gentle man. He's your father."

When Lex arrived on the base next morning it was clear to her that Sam had not done as she was told. At six-thirty in the morning she was surrounded by empty coffee cups and screwed up bits of paper. "I thought I told you to rest." She chided, placing a paper bag in front of the younger woman, "Breakfast."

"You've been here less than a week and you're telling me what to do? I thought I was in charge."

"It's an age thing, it's extremely hard to take orders from someone the same age as your child." She winked at her and hung up her coat, "But all you gotta do is ask if you want something done."

"In that case can you go get some more coffee?"she asked angelically batting her eyelashes.

"I'll do you a deal; I'll go get you some coffee if you take an half an hour break and eat something - you're useless if you can't even see straight."

It took a moment for Sam to think this proposition over, tinkering with the idea of just getting the coffee herself and not taking the break, and eventually decided that her eyes might be grateful for the reprieve. "What'd you get for breakfast?"

"Nothing special - couple of bagels. I can't stand the things myself, more a full english girl; bacon, eggs, sausages, beans, fried tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding - that's a real breakfast."

"But you're thin."

"High metabolism, I've been the same weight since I was seventeen - except when I was pregnant with Lily."

"I think I hate you."

"Good, I'll get that caffeine." She smiled, about-turning and heading out the door, hoping she'd be able to find the canteen.

After roughly five minutes of blindly following a coloured strip on the wall and hoping it would take her there she bumped into Daniel. "Doctor Jackson, I don't suppose you'd point me in the general directions of the canteen."

"Actually I'm heading that way myself, I'll take you." He smiled, thinking that he could get more out of her than he had out of Jack.

"You're in early today - I thought you were on stand down."

"Yeah well Sam told me about the particle-beam generater idea so I thought I'd see if there was anything I could do to help."

"You could sneak up on her with a sedative."

"Excuse me?"

"I 'suggested' that she should get some sleep last night but by the looks of her this morning she didn't listen. Thing is, we haven't even started yet and she can barely keep her eyes open because she's been awake for the past forty-eight hours, which is fine if you're out there in a battle situation with something to keep you awake but here she needs to be completely clear-headed and able to do her job which she can't do on coffee alone." She sighed, "She should be rested."

"I know but you have to understand that she wants to get this done as quickly as possible."

"I understand that but a few hours sleep wouldn't have killed but the lack of them might." Daniel looked uncomfortable trying to defend his friend to this headstrong newcomer and she saw that, "Look, I know she cares about him, so do I, but sometimes you need to step back and take a deep breath. Can you do me a favour and make sure she goes home tonight?"

He nodded, "Sure. So what else can I do?"

"Take me to the coffee." She grinned.

"Happy to oblige." He smiled. "So, Jack said you two go way back."

"You could say that, we were in highschool together."

"So what was he like back then?"

"Well he didn't have grey hair and he was really into his bikes and cars..."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Amy Robinson