Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Negotiations

by Amanda Eros
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
Negotiations has several different plots going on at one time. Like every story in this series it can also be found on Fanfiction.net where it is broken down into smaller chapters. Please let me know what you think about it. Any advice on how I can improve my writing would be nice as well! Thank you and enjoy!
Negotiations

Negotiations

by Amanda Eros

Summary: Part Four in the Ancient Connection Series: Samantha Carter and several scientists go to Langara to give them the shielding technology promised to Jonas Quinn at the end of Season Five. The Asgard show up, and that's just the beginning.
Category: Action/Adventure, Alternate Universe, Angst, Challenge, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Romance, Series, Other
Episode Related: 521 Meridian, 522 Revelations, 601 Redemption, 611 Prometheus, 612 Unnatural Selection, 613 Sight Unseen, 616 Metamorphosis, 621 Prophecy, 702 Homecoming, 714 Fallout, 812 Prometheus Unbound, 816 Reckoning, 818 Threads, 819 Moebius
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Team, other pairing
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, language, minor character death, minor language, sexual situations, violence
Author's Notes: Negotiations has several different plots going on at one time. Like every story in this series it can also be found on Fanfiction.net where it is broken down into smaller chapters. Please let me know what you think about it. Any advice on how I can improve my writing would be nice as well! Thank you and enjoy!
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/21/05

Langara - Joint Council Meeting
"Yes! But if it wasn't for your county's tyrannical rule, we would have been able to accomplish that on our own long ago!" Lucia Tarthus narrowed her eyes. He just didn't understand how her people had suffered. How her family suffered.
Vin Eremal locked his fingers together, and stared right at her. The woman was quite annoying. "If your people didn't act like terrorists every time we tried to improve the situation we could have fixed the problem long ago."
Jonas had given up on them. Every single time they met in session they argued about the same thing over and over again. No matter how much he tried to convince them that they needed to stop looking at what happened in the past, but to look towards the future, they ignored him. Now all he could do was bite his tongue.
He turned his head towards the window. The sun was just setting over the horizon and slowly one by one the stars appeared in the darkening sky. He turned towards the other two members of the Joint Council. They were still arguing about the same thing.
Jonas took in a deep breath; they were going into two hours over the appropriate time for recess.
The double doors to the chamber opened. All three members looked towards the door. The cleaning staff paused seeing that they were still in session. Apparently one of the security staff let them come in to alert them that he wanted to go home.
Jonas pressed his lips together, "Apparently we have gone over time. Perhaps tomorrow we shall be a little bit more productive and discuss our promise to Earth about the Naquadria that we owe them. It has been three months since they cleaned up the Viralyn problem." He stood and turned to leave. For the second month in a row he had said the same thing before he left.
He shook his head as he walked though the doors and out into the hall. It was almost like they were procrastinating. He shook his head, as he waved to some of his former colleagues from when he worked under First Minster Valis. They hardly acknowledged him.
It used to bother him when he first came back to Langara, but it didn't anymore. He was walking down a large flight of stairs and heading into the main entryway when he heard his name.
"JONAS QUINN!" An elderly gentleman with a slight limp and a cane was coming down a stair way to the left.
Jonas turned, and beamed a smile. "Avidan!" He jogged over to the elderly gentleman and clasped his hand. "It is good to see you!"
"It is good to see you, Son." He shook his finger at him, "I've heard some interesting stories about you... if your father was still alive..." He sighed and shook his head, "that's in the past..."
Jonas sighed, he hardly remembered is father, he had died during the last Great War along with his mother. He always felt that their deaths had been in vain. At least Avidan was there for him. If it weren't for him he would never have gone to the University. Quite frankly he would have grown up on the streets.
"Well, I guess I do have a lot of explaining to do." Jonas grinned, "as do you. I've been trying to get in contact with you for the past year."
"I've been busy. Although I have been reassigned to the University. They don't think I'm qualified for field work anymore." Avidan Udo had two passions ancient history and science.
Jonas pressed his lips together; much of what Avidan had been working on was already proven; although it was classified. Unfortunately it was the work that Jonas did with the government in the first place that put a strain on their relationship. Avidan felt that as a father figure, he should know everything that Jonas did.
That put Jonas in a tough position. "Well, why don't we go and get something to eat? And while we do that, you could fill me in on your research."
They started to walk down the stairs. "And you can tell me if the stories about you being a traitor are true..." He narrowed his eyes.
"Well, if they were, do you think I would still be working for the government?" Jonas grinned. This was going to be difficult.
Earth - SGC - Briefing Room
Kyna was standing in front of a one of the many chalkboards present in the room. She just finished the last of the equation and turned towards the room of scientists. "With this equation, you can easily build your shields. Any questions?"
One of the scientists dropped his pen. Others sat there gapping.
Sam stood up and looked over the math. "We've never seen anything like this. I'm not even sure where to begin." She shook her head, "Half of this doesn't even make logical sense."
Kyna tilted her head and crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Although it does work. Quite frankly I don't know how, but it does." She motioned her hand towards the equation on the boards. "This is what, this," She motioned towards her head, "says makes the shielding technology work."
One of the scientists shook his head; "I think your making it up. Col. Carter is right, half of this could not possibly work with any method of math that we have."
"As I said, it works. I installed shields around the property that I am moving into tomorrow. Most of this comes from my subconscious so, I don't even know how I could possibly explain it to you, but this is what I have."
Sam stared at the equation, "This is so far beyond us..."
"It's actually several million years beyond you, but I agreed to show you how to make shields, and this is how you do it." Kyna sighed, she was getting hungry again so she took out a power bar and started to munch on it despite the chalk that was on her fingertips.
"You said that you installed shields around your property with this equation?" One of the other scientists looked at her with narrowed eyes.
"That's right," Kyna smiled, watching four hours of television at day had really helped her simplify her speech patterns. "I wanted to make sure that it worked before I brought it before you."
General Jack O'Neill's Office
Sam walked into the office and closed the door about a half hour later.
Jack looked up, "So, did you have fun out there?" He lifted his eyes towards the window that lead to the Briefing Room. Kyna had just finished erasing the boards and started to write several more math equations.
"Well, not really... every time I'm around her I feel so..." Sam couldn't find the right word.
"Dumb?" Jack gave her a half smile.
"Ignorant is more like it." Sam sighed, and sat down.
Jack sipped his coffee. "What's she doing now?"
"Trying a different way of doing the same thing." Sam shrugged, "She's gone over it seven different ways, I wonder when we'll understand one of them."
"Now you know how I feel." Jack shook his head and sat back. "But that's not why you came in here, is it?"
"No, Sir. It's not." Sam wasn't sure if she should say this or not considering she knew how Jack felt about them. "We have a promise that we have to keep."
Jack raised an eyebrow, "A promise?"
"Yes, Sir, to Jonas. Remember when he first came to the SGC? He brought with him the Naquadria and asked that we would share the shielding technology with his people if we ever figured it out." She tilted her head.
Jack slightly winced, "I sort of remember something like that."
"Well..." Sam crossed her arms in front of her chest.
"You know that I don't like those people. Jonas I don't mind, but his people." He shuttered, "They give me such a headache."
"I know, Sir, you're not the only one. Although a promise is a promise." Sam tilted her head back and forth.
Jack looked back at Kyna though the glass. The girl was standing there eating a power bar. She looked like she was concentrating on what to do next. "You said that you couldn't even figure out what type crap she was regurgitating?"
"That's right, Sir." Sam wondered where he was going with this.
"Then let's give them one of the formulas. Let them figure it out. It will be no sweat off our backs." Jack leaned forward and clasped his hands together.
"I guess we can do that." Sam shrugged.
"Besides, they still haven't gotten back to us on that Naquadria. Maybe we can use the shields to get them to live up to their side of the bargain." Jack nodded.
Langara - The Next Day - Jonas Quinn's Apartment
Jonas shook his head as he stood over the stove making breakfast. He told Avidan about everything that happened while he was away. He couldn't stand the uneasy silence anymore, and besides that he was like a father figure to him. Jonas smiled, he felt like he had gotten a load taken off his shoulders.
Avidan walked into the room from the guest bedroom. He yawned and stretched, "Another beautiful morning." He smiled seeing that Jonas was making something to eat. He walked over to the cabinet and started to set the table. "This sure beats that horrible hotel they put me up in last month. I should have contacted you early." He shook his head. "Although I don't know when I'll be able to move into my faculty housing..."
Jonas was about done with making the food. He smiled, "you can stay as long as you like."
Avidan patted his shoulder. "Thank you my boy." He then placed the plates on the table. "Although, Jonas I was wondering if you would like to come into my class tomorrow as a guest lecture. I'm sure the kids would love to hear about some of your adventures." He held up his hand, "of course not the ones that deal with your time off world, but I'm sure you must have had one or two from before that when you were helping with the original excavation project regarding our history. You can even talk about Naquadria and how that has played a role in our past."
"I'd like that." Jonas smiled again. It was good having Avidan around. He missed the old man even if he pries a little too much into his personal life.
"I read in the newspaper yesterday morning. It said that there is going to be Joint Council elections coming up soon. Do you think you'll run for a chair again?" Avidan placed the glasses on the table.
"If they ask me to, I guess I will. But I really don't want to. We really don't accomplish anything, but at least I can hope that we will eventually move past our petty differences and start to work towards the future." Jonas placed the food on the table.
"You never were a politician. I would rather see you teach at the University. Granted I can imagine that you still have your head up in the stars." He shook his head, he couldn't believe half of the things he told him, but he knew that Jonas would never lie about something like that.
Jonas gave him a half smile; "At least I knew that I was making some sort of a difference when I worked at the SGC. Here I feel like I spend all day trying to supervise two children." He rubbed the back of his neck.
Avidan placed the eating utensils on the table, and sat down. "I could imagine that it was a bit more tolerable when you had that girl... what was her name again?"
"Kianna Cyr..." Jonas sighed. "I felt bad about what happened to her, but there was nothing that I could do about it. She moved to the country to live with her cousin and her family. I don't blame her for wanting to get away from everything and everybody that she had been around as a Goa'uld."
Avidan really wanted to see Jonas settled down and to be happy. He could tell that he wasn't, but he would never let on. "Maybe someday..."
Jonas shook his head, "I don't think so." He would never hold anything against Kianna; it was just that he didn't know her at all. She was a total stranger to him, and whenever he looked at her he remembered how he had been completely fooled by that Goa'uld. He felt that it wasn't fair to her to be around her when he felt that way.
Earth - SGC - Jack's Office
Jack was at his desk going over some paper work. Since the defeat of the replicators, the Pentagon wanted to see how many of the off world projects they could cut back on.
Walter knocked on the door. "Sir, we're receiving communications from The Jacob Carter. Thor said that he will be arriving with in the hour."
"Excellent! Does he have a new body?" Jack tilted his head.
"I believe so, Sir." Walter waited to be dismissed but the telephone rang.
Jack picked up the phone and motioned for Walter to leave. "Hello, Mr. President, what can I do for you?"
Walter slowly stepped back into the hall and closed the door.
"I was wondering when you would have the new SGC budget report for me. The joint chiefs are getting anxious."
"Yes, I was just going over that, you'll get my report first thing in the morning."
"You know with the disintegration of the threat to this galaxy we want you to only keep the programs that are necessary to maintain the security of this planet."
"Yes, Sir that's understandable." Jack sat back into his chair.
"How are our scientists coming along with our friend's project?"
"They're having a tough time understanding the math, Sir. I'm not sure if they will ever understand it unless we get her to teach them from scratch."
"That might not be such a bad idea."
"When are we going to let the others know about our friend?" Jack was referring to the other countries. Since, Kyna had come to the SGC, they kept the knowledge about her to a need to know basis.
"Not for a while, I'm afraid. The Pentagon wants to make sure that our cities are safe before we can even hint at the possibly of her existence."
"I see. I'm sure the Asgard are going to want to borrow her, Sir." Jack twisted his lips. He didn't mind letting her talk with Thor.
Hayes was silent for a moment. "I'm going to have to get back to you on that one. Although see what you can get out of the Asgard first before you make any promises to let them borrow her."
"Understood, Sir. I doubt that they will be able to pick her up with their sensors anyway since she's under the protection of that shield around her house."
"Good."
"Then tomorrow she'll be gone with the delegation to Langara."
"Sounds great. Make sure she takes enough food with her."
"Will do, Sir."
Langara - The Next Day - Welcome Reception
Sam and Kyna stepped though the gate along with SG-7.
Teal'c was currently on Dakara with Master Bra'tac.
Daniel had the day off, so Jack didn't make him go. He knew how much Daniel didn't like going back to that planet especially after the stunt that they tried to pull by blaming him for the accident that caused him to ascend the first time around.
First Minister Dreylock stood there along with Professor Lymnal and several other members of her government and security personal.
Sam tried to give them the best smile that she could. "It's good to see you again, First Minister." She searched for Jonas amongst the faces.
Dreylock slightly nodded her head, "Likewise." She motioned with her hand for them to follow her. "I regret to inform you that Jonas Quinn will not be joining us this afternoon. He had a previous engagement."
"That's understandable." Sam wondered what it could be. She started to walk forward.
Professor Lymnal had watched the Earthlings come though the Star Gate. He was disgusted that they would show their faces there again, but he kept his feelings to himself. He was even more disgusted that they would send a child with them. He looked at the woman who was several inches shorter then the one known as Col. Carter.
Kyna felt his eyes on her. She turned her head and tilted it upwards to look at him.
Lymnal quickly turned away and started walking with the group. "You said that you have brought something that would be of value to us?"
Sam nodded, "That's right, Sir. Back when Jonas Quinn first came to the SGC he had us promise to share shielding technology if we ever came across it."
Dreylock stopped and turned towards her, "Your willing to share this technology with us? Even after everything our two worlds have gone though?"
"Of course we are, we gave Jonas our word." Sam was a little disappointed that she was not going to be able to see him, but then again she had no idea how long they would keep them here as they tried to get them to hold up to their end of the deal from the Viralyn situation.
Dreylock escorted them into a briefing room area. "Well then, we are just going to have to assemble some of our scientists to hear what you have to say." She motioned for them to sit at the table.
"Excuse me First Minister Dreylock, but I was wondering if I could have a better look at your city before we go into the shielding technology. I didn't really get to see much of it the last time I was here." Kyna wanted to see if she needed to make any alterations in her calculations for the size of the city. Since she felt that she could use it as an example while explaining the math to them.
First Minister Dreylock thought for a moment. She had hardly recognized the young woman. "Of course you can Kyna Dior, that is if it is alright with Col. Carter."
Sam almost shrugged, but didn't. "I don't have a problem with it."
Lymnal couldn't believe his ears. That child was the one that saved him from the Viralyn. He stared at her in disbelief.
First Minister Dreylock turned towards Lymnal. "Why don't you show our guest the University? I'm sure she must be curious to see how all those that were ill are fairing." She smiled; she had only allowed Professor Lymnal to attend this meeting because she knew that he was popular with the students at the University. If she wanted to win re-election she had to try to secure their votes.
Meanwhile - Asgard Ship - The Jacob Carter
Heimdall had been running some scans on the planet below them. Since the war with the Replicaters, many of the Asgard observation projects had been put aside. Heimdall was currently updating his files, hoping to find some new way of looking at the many different forms of DNA below to help the Asgard with their cloning problem.
On the screen across from him, Thor's image appeared. "Heimdall, how much longer until you complete your analysis?"
Heimdall looked up, and tilted his head before looking back down at the computer in front of him. "Hmm... how strange."
"What is it Heimdall?" Thor tilted his head.
"My apologies Commander Thor, but the computer recorded a very odd life sign down on the planet moments ago." Heimdall was investigating the life sign when it disappeared.
"What do you mean by odd?"
"It is gone!" Heimdall shifted a stone on the panel in front of him. "I sent you the information that I just received."
Thor looked down at his screen and slid the stone over on his panel. On his holo-projector the DNA sequence materialized.
Control Room - SGC
Jack was just finished signing several papers that Walter had handed him. "Thanks Walter, your doing a..." He was engulfed in a white light and transported up to the Asgard ship.
Walter looked around, wondering if anyone else noticed that. He simply shrugged and went back to work, thinking that the Asgard would send Jack back sooner or later. But for the mean time, he just needed to report that they took him.
Asgard Ship - The Jacob Carter
"... fine job!" Jack stopped and looked around; he noticed that he was now on an Asgard Ship. He tilted his head seeing Thor. "Now, Thor oh buddy oh Pal, I know we talked about this, and you were getting better and better at telling us when you were going to do that."
"My apologies O'Neill but this could not wait." Thor brought up the holographic DNA image.
Jack tilted his head, and looked at Thor. "You know Carter should be the one looking at that, or this new doctor we have, Katrina Viola. She knows a thing or two about that stuff. I don't."
Heimdall entered the bridge of the ship, and peered up at Jack with his big black eyes. "We are aware of your lack of scientific knowledge."
Jack looked between the two Asgard wondering why he was there. He crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Then what is this about?"
"It appears that you have an extremely advance human in your midst." Thor tilted his head, wondering why O'Neill would not inform them of this person.
"However the signal disappeared though your Star Gate." Heimdall looked back at the DNA. He hoped that this person might be the key to solving their cloning problem.
"Advance human... I guess you could call her that. She is on assignment. I can recall her if you like." Jack looked at Heimdall.
"That would be most appreciated."
Langara - University
Professor Lymnal turned as he waited for the young woman to catch up. He just wanted to get this sight seeing tour over with. He tapped his foot out of annoyance. The girl trailed behind him wherever they went.
Kyna's eyes caught every little detail that went into the architecture of the building. She loved seeing how everything was put together, and the different styles that developed over time.
From one of the near by lecture halls, students started to spill out into the hallway.
"Professor Lymnal!" A group of young men waved to him. They jogged over and started talking with him.
Lymnal smiled and started conversing with the young men.
Kyna stopped several feet away from the group. She turned and looked out the window to her side. The city spread across the horizon. Kyna thought that it was a marvelous view as the shadows from the buildings stood straight out in front of her. She started to calculate the distance between where she stood and the furthest point along the horizon so that she may estimate how big the shield needed to be in order to cover the entire city.
Kyna was so focused on what she was doing that she had not notice the hallway empty. It was only when her stomach growled that her concentration was broken. She noticed that the sky had darkened considerably since she first started to look out the window. She turned around, "Professor Lymnal?" Her eyebrows came together, as she took out a power bar. She chewed on it slowly as she waited for him to return. "Professor Lymnal?" She called a little bit louder.
Above her the lights in the hall flickered, and went out. Eerie shadows filled the hall; it was rather disconcerting.
Kyna felt the tiny hairs on the back of her neck stand up. Her eyes adjusted to the change in the light as they started to scan the hallway.
Towards the end of the hall she noticed someone standing there. She narrowed her eyes to see who it was but they turned and ran away. "Wait!" She called, and she started to run after them. She had hopped that it was Professor Lymnal, even though she knew it wasn't. Perhaps who ever it was could tell her where he went.
When she got to the end of the hall, she saw that the adjacent one was empty. She frowned and turned around. She then started to retrace her steps to go back towards the building with the Star Gate. When she went to the complete opposite end of the hall, she turned and walked down a flight of stairs that lead towards the main entrance of the building.
The sounds of people caught her attention, so she drifted in that direction. Several students ran past her and into a lecture hall. Her curiosity got the best of her and she followed them in.
The hall was filled with students, there as almost no seats left, but she was able to find one towards the back of the room. Upon sitting down, she took off her SGC coat and rolled it into a ball on her lap.
"Settle down, settle down. Welcome to another installation of our class. I have a very special treat for you this evening." The elderly gentleman smiled at his students. "We have a guest speaker today, so don't worry about taking notes." He motioned for someone in the audience to stand. "He's a former student of mine, Joint Council Member, Jonas Quinn."
The students gave him a warm welcome by clapping their hands, some even sat forward in their seats to show that they were interested in what he had to say.
Jonas stood up from his seat, and turned around. He gave the students a big smile, and started to speak. "Thank you, Professor Udo..." Jonas started to talk about what it was like growing up in the aftermath of the last Great War, and then he talked about how he became interested in his field of study. He went on to tell them about his time at the University and about the archeological digs that he was involved in.
Since Jonas had been talking for an hour and fifteen minutes, Avidan Udo, looked at his pocket watch. He stood up from his seat and went over to him. He whispered in his ear, "Five minutes."
Jonas nodded, "Well, it looks like I'm going to have to wrap this up. But before I do, I want to draw your attention over to the chalk board." He walked over and slid one of the boards up to display a very complicated math equation. He turned back towards the class, "From what we can tell so far, Naquadria can eventually be stabilized. We're still trying to figure out the process of doing so. If any of you can figure out the right equation, I'm sure that Professor Udo will give you a perfect score for the term." He grinned.
Kyna tilted her head as she looked at the equation. The principal was there, but the equation was a mess. Although seeing it did help her to understand what type of math to use in order to translate the equation for the shields into something that they could understand.
Professor Udo cleared his throat, "remember your papers are due next class. Please be sure to use the sheets I gave you as a reference when writing them up." He nodded, "Class dismissed."
The lecture hall started to clear out. Several students went up to the front to look at the equation; others went over to talk with Jonas Quinn and Professor Udo.
Kyna stood from her seat and made her way down the stairs towards the front of the room. She stopped several feet from the chalkboard and waited for the two students that were in front of it to leave before she stepped up to it. She took a piece of chalk in hand and started bracket one sections of the equation.
Professor Udo smiled at one of the students who had just turned to leave when he noticed the young woman at the board. He had never seen her before, and thought that she was dressed in rather unusual garments.
Jonas noticed the look on Avidan's face and turned around. He didn't notice her garments but instead as he walked over to ask her what she was doing, he saw her turn towards him and smile. He was completely thrown off guard. Never before had he seen someone with violet colored eyes. He noticed her lips move but he didn't catch what she was saying. He blinked, "what did you just say?"
Kyna placed the piece of chalk down and smiled again. She was pleased to see that he was well again, but perhaps the Viralyn had affected his hearing. "I said that you're on the right track, it's just that your equation is not in the proper order."
Jonas continued to stare at her, "not in the proper order?"
Kyna pointed, "Look there, I drew an arrow where that bracket part of the equation should be. You should try to build off of that." She smiled again when she saw him look at the chalkboard. "Don't worry Jonas Quinn, you're a brilliant man, I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out."
Jonas looked at the board; he felt a mix of emotions ranging from being in awe to feeling completely dumbfounded. He really didn't know what to think or feel. When he turned back towards the young woman to ask her about what she said, he stepped back in surprise. She was no longer there. He turned completely around looking to see where she went.
Avidan placed a hand on his shoulder and pointed up the stairs. The young woman took a coat in her hands from her seat and exited out the door.
Jonas blinked, "Wait!" He ran up the stairs taking two of them at a time, and almost collided with several students that were coming into the room for the next lecture. He then quickly maneuvered himself around them towards the doors.
Avidan grinned. He thought that the way Jonas was acting reminded him of the first time the boy's father met his wife.
Upon running out into the hall Jonas found that it was completely crowded with students, and despite how hard he looked, the violet-eyed woman was gone.
Alleyway
Kyna looked at her watch as she hurried back to the government building where the Star Gate was located. She was not used to doing things according to a clock. While she lived in Deshi, time flowed from one day to the next with not much thought. She had slept when she was tired, and ate only to put off the feeling of starvation.
Since she came to the SGC, she noticed that everyone's schedules revolved around the clock. She didn't mind too much, no one really expected her to do anything but sit there and draw diagrams and do math equations. She was pleased that they fed her well, although the in-between meals were always lonely. Daniel ate breakfast with her, Sam ate lunch with her, and Teal'c ate dinner with her. Although she hardly ever knew what to say to them, so for the most part unless more then one of them joined her they ate in silence.
She shook her head, food... her stomach growled. "Please stop being so annoying." She sighed, and looked at her watch again. She had spent over three hours at the University. Kyna looked back towards the way she came, a small smile came to her lips, three hours well spent. She nodded, well except for those weird few moments in the hall. She couldn't shake the feeling that someone had been watching her.
Kyna turned into another alleyway. She thought that she was retracing her steps, but now she wasn't sure. It was almost completely dark out, and the shadows made everything seem elongated. She concentrated on her vision and was able to draw more light into her pupils. Her vision corrected itself, but she still wasn't able to tell where she was.
After picking up her radio, she pressed the button and spoke into it. "Col. Carter, come in please." Her brows came together as she waited for a response. "Col. Samantha Carter, please respond." Still nothing, she examined the radio casing. It seemed in tack though it wasn't working. The only thing that she could think of was that the battery was out of power.
SGC-Control Room
"What do you mean she's missing?" Jack crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"I'm sorry, Sir. The Langarans needed more time gathering some of their scientists, so she went on a tour of the University."
"And you let her go by herself?" Jack pressed his lips together.
"She is an adult, Sir."
Jack rolled his eyes, "I know that. Have you been able to reach her on the radio?"
"No, Sir. We've been trying for the last hour. Currently we have members of the Kelownan Security Force looking for her along with SG-7 and myself."
"Keep me posted."
"Yes, Sir." The transmission ended.
Walter looked up at Jack, "Should I contact the Asgard, Sir?"
Jack rubbed his chin as he thought of what to do. He looked at Walter as if he wasn't sure why they should contact the Asgard yet. They knew it was going to take them some time to recall her from her mission.
"I mean, maybe they could fly over there and pick her up. We don't exactly know why she's missing, and if they were able to pick up her life signs here, then they can certainly do it there, Sir." Walter tapped his fingers on the side of the desk as he waited for a response from him.
"Ah, yes, that would be a good idea wouldn't it?" He was about to leave when a lieutenant came up to him.
"Sir, Major Davis is waiting in your office." The lieutenant stood at attention.
Jack rubbed the back of his head, "Thank you, dismissed." He turned towards Walter, who was already talking with Thor, before turning and walking towards his office.
Inside the office Paul stood with his hands in his pockets looking at the different objects on the wall. He took his hands out of his pockets when Jack walked in the room from the direction of the Briefing Room. "General." He nodded.
"What can I do for you, Major?" Jack had a good idea about what he wanted, but acted like he didn't know.
"Sir, the President is pretty anxious about getting your budget plans for next year. He sent me to personally pick them up." Paul frowned.
"I was afraid of that." Jack had finished it up an hour ago, "I just don't get it, how could I personally put a dollar sign on what the people of this command do here day in and day out?"
Paul shook his head, "I don't know, Sir."
"Have a seat, Davis." Jack went though the different folders and then took out the appropriate one.
"Thank you, Sir." Paul sat as he watched him; "the President also told me that they want to reduce the SGC personnel by at least thirty percent this year, and another twenty percent by the following year."
"For crying out loud!" Jack tossed the folder in front of the younger man.
"I know, Sir. That means that you're going to have to transfer a lot of good people from this facility." He started to flip though what Jack gave him to make sure that there were no mistakes.
"There is a list of about fifteen people in there already that I want to transfer to Antarctica, and another five to Area 51." Jack sat back in his chair.
"I see that, this should be good for right now." Paul closed the folder and looked over at Jack.
Alleyway - Langara - An hour later
It was completely dark out now, and Kyna was extremely lost. She wondered about aimlessly trying to find a familiar building to point her in the right direction, but she could not. She sighed thinking about how she never knew she didn't have any sense for directions.
After walking another few steps she stopped to rub her temples. She thought to herself that perhaps it would be best not to think for the time being. That just made her head hurt even more.
Behind her she thought that she heard someone enter the alleyway. Kyna was about to turn around when she heard a strange click sound. It reminded her of the sound that the Zat makes when being opened. "Sam?"
"Don't turn around," said the strange voice.
Kyna's blood froze, "who... who are you?"
"That does not matter." The person stepped forward.
Kyna was about to ask them what they wanted when a white light engulfed her. She turned completely around wondering what just happened when she noticed that she was now on a spaceship. Besides that it was not just any ordinary spaceship, it was, from what she could tell an Asgard ship.
"Col. Carter we have her aboard." Thor transmitted the message down to the surface.
Kyna spun around to face the little gray being, "Thank you for ... never mind." She shook her head thinking that she was imagining things again. "Where are the Asgard?"
Thor tilted his head as he looked up at her with his big black eyes.
"What a silly question, hmm..." Heimdall walked onto the bridge. "We are the Asgard."
Kyna looked between the two gray beings, "Are you sure about that?" The image of the Asgard appeared in her mind's eye. They were very tall, with white skin and hair. They wore clothing. Their eyes were much smaller then the two before her.
"We are positive." Thor looked at Himdall and then back at her.
Kyna shook her head as she ran the images though her mind again and then she began to project the image shifting in form though several million years of evolution since the last time the Ancients had contact with their race. "You don't appear to look as you should. I'm sorry, but the image that I have of where the Asgard should be in their evolution is very different then what you look like now."
The two Asgard exchanged looks again. "You know what we should look like? Interesting." Heimdall started to circle around her. "Your race has not changed in appearance."
"I know. Though our brain chemistry has changed in some aspects." She tilted her head, "did you try to alter your genetics?"
Heimdall raised his chin, "we did."
Kyna sighed and she knelt down on the ground, her headache was worsening with the more information she tried to bring forward about the Asgard. "Do you have anything to eat?"
"Are you not well?" Thor asked.
She shook her head, "No, but it will pass if I eat."
"We do not carry the proper nourishment for your species on board." Heimdall watched her closely.
Down on the planet at the welcome reception, the table with all of Kelowna's finest finger foods disappeared before a very bewildered Jonas Quinn and Avidan Udo. They had just arrived after hearing that a delegation from Earth had come to negotiate for some Naquadria.
"What on Mt. Kallan just happened?" Avidan exclaimed.
"The Asgard?" Jonas was completely baffled. He had no idea of why they might be in orbit around their planet or why they would steal their food.
Back on the Jacob Carter, a table with plenty of finger foods appeared before Kyna's eyes. She stood, "Nice!" She had heard Jack exclaim that enough times to adopt it into her speech pattern. She went over to the table and started to eat.
Thor took the ship out of orbit and started to fly back towards Earth.
Kyna looked up from what she was eating as her migraine started to dissipate. She suddenly felt panicked as she saw the stars fly past the window. "Where are we going?"
"Back to Earth." Thor adjusted several stones on the panel.
After eating her fill, Kyna left the table and walked over to Heimdall. "Thank you for the meal, but I must ask you, why was I brought up here?"
"Hmm? You have not figured it out? Then again you are quite young." Heimdall walked across the room towards Thor.
"I think I know what's going on, but I want to hear you say it." Kyna crossed her arms in front of her chest.
"We can only reproduce through enhanced cellular mitosis," Heimdall watched the Ancient child's response.
Kyna looked down and sighed. Why was it that her people always made sure that sterilization was the side effect in any instance of genetic manipulation among their creations and themselves? She shuttered, she hated the fact that she was going to have to face that soon enough. Ironically she added to herself that small manipulation all those years ago saved so many when the plague broke out; although, Kyna would never tell that to anyone. "You're all clones... I can't do anything for you, but I can see about creating several genetic sequences from your existing DNA that will exclude any manipulation that was originally created."
"You would do that for us?" Thor blinked several times.
Kyna nodded slowly, she wanted to get away from earth for a little while. "It will take some time, but if I can interface with your computer it will be a lot easier."
Thor reassured her. "That will not be a problem."
Langara - Welcome Reception Room
Sam was on the radio with Jack, "No more then twenty minutes ago." She smiled seeing Jonas sitting at the main table. Apparently he was talking to an elderly gentleman that she had never met before.
"Great, there is no more to be done there, we'll have to give them a rain check."
"Understood, Sir." The wormhole closed, and Sam walked across the room. "Jonas! How are you?"
Jonas looked up and stood; he had a huge smile on his lips, "Sam! Great to see you again!" He motioned over to the man next to him, "This is Avidan Udo, he's like a father to me."
Avidan Udo stood as well; he nodded his head towards Sam. "Well met, young lady, I could imagine that all the women from Earth are just as lovely and intelligent as you are." He smiled; he felt that he could give out complements to who ever he pleased since he was well past the age for priority.
Sam felt like she was going to blush, "That's very nice of you, Sir."
Avidan waved his hand, "Call me Avidan, none of this 'Sir' business. It just won't do."
Jonas decided to step in there seeing that Sam was starting to get a bit flushed, "I heard that you figured out the shield technology, congratulations!"
Sam pressed her lips together and shook her head, "Oh, it wasn't me."
"Who was it then?" Jonas looked at her with a bit of shock on his face; Sam was the smartest person he knew.
Sam twisted her lips as she decided how to explain the situation to Jonas, "a new scientist of ours. Very bright, far brighter then myself... they've been beamed away for the moment along with the plans for the shields. I think we're going to have to come back again another day to give it to you."
"Yeah, I noticed that the Asgard were here. They took the entire buffet table!" Jonas pointed to where it had once stood.
Sam turned her head and winced. At least they were feeding her. She shook her head, "What can I say, they're the Asgard."
First Minister Dreylock rushed in along with Professor Lymnal. "Col. Carter, I must apologize for the mix up. I'm glad to hear that your friend has been returned safely?"
"In a matter of speaking, unfortunately she's on an alien ship that is likely leaving orbit as we speak. I'm afraid that we're going to have to come back another day and teach you how to build the shields." Sam watched three of the four members of SG-7 come into the room. She nodded to them.
Dreylock looked over her shoulder and then back at Col. Carter. "Well, I never expected that we would be able to comprehend such advanced technology in one sitting." She motioned to Jonas, "now you won't have to catch up with the rest of the scientists."
"Great," he smiled. Jonas was wondering about this new scientist that Sam mentioned. He couldn't possibly think that anyone at the SGC could come nearly close to her in the understanding of science. Not even Dr. McKay came close from what he could remember.
Professor Lymnal stood at a bit of a distance. He wondered what Professor Udo was doing there. The two of them had graduated the same year from the University. He slightly narrowed his eyes at the man for a split second; Udo had higher marks then him in one subject area, which caused him to graduate at the top of his class. His lips pressed together to form a rather thin smile, "Avidan Udo, back from a dig?"
Avidan didn't even notice the other man, but when he heard him speak to him he turned towards him. "Corydon Lymnal, you're looking well. Yes, I'm back from a dig."
Sam shifted her eyes to Professor Lymnal; she tilted her head slightly thinking that the man changed his jacket. She shook her head; it must just be her imagination. He was wearing a brown jacket earlier, and is still wearing a brown jacket now. Although she couldn't help but think that the buttons were different.
"Jonas Quinn, why don't you escort our guests from Earth back to the Star Gate?" Dreylock pressed her hands together into a clasp.
Sam looked over at SG-7; all four members were now present. She figured that Dr. Thatcher had to use the restroom and that was why he had not joined his team immediately.
"I'd love to." Jonas walked towards the exit. He tilted his head, "where's Teal'c and Daniel?"
"Oh, well today's Daniel's day off. He's been looking a bit under the weather, so Jack told him to stay home." Sam walked though the doors, "And Teal'c is on another planet with Master Bra'tac."
"I see." Jonas put on one of his smiles that masked his feelings. He missed his friends, and was disappointed that he wasn't going to get to spend any time with them.
The Next Day - SGC- General Jack O'Neill's Office
Daniel walked into the office with his hands in his pockets. "Good Morning, Jack."
Jack looked up from his paper work. "What can I do for you, Daniel?"
Daniel walks in and sits down. "Saying 'good morning' would be nice." He looked down and then up again as he pushed his glasses back into place.
Jack rolled his eyes, and then sat up. "Good morning Daniel, what can I do for you? Better?"
"Much, thank you." Daniel grinned; he loved busting Jack's chops. "Heard from Teal'c lately?"
"No, but we don't expect to hear from him for another couple of days." Jack started to play with his pen. "Is there anything that's on your mind, Daniel?"
"Where's Kyna? I was going to eat breakfast with her, but I don't know where she is." Even though Daniel didn't always know what to talk about with the girl, he had become rather over protective of her.
"She's with the Asgard. They're in orbit." Jack didn't look too concerned. He trusted Thor to get her back to them safely.
"Really? I wonder what they're doing..." Daniel shrugged.
"Who knows? Just as long as they have her back for supper, that's all I care about." Jack grinned. He couldn't help it, he missed seeing her poke her head in the door after he got in this morning. It was nice to have someone just drop in and say hello and ask him about what he was planning to do that day.
Langara - Jonas Quinn's Apartment
Jonas had just finished getting ready for work. He walked into the kitchen area and poured himself a cup of tea before walking over to the living room area to talk to Avidan.
Avidan was preparing his notes for his next lecture. He looked up at Jonas as he walked over to him. "Have a good day at work, Son."
"Thank you, you too." Jonas finished his tea. "I should be home about a half hour after sun down." He was about to say more when he heard a knock on the door. His brows came together, "are you expecting anyone?"
Avidan shook his head, "no. There aren't too many people that actually know that I'm here."
Jonas shook his head thinking that this was very strange.
Who ever was at the door started to pound on it, "Jonas Quinn, if you are there, please open the door!"
Jonas unlocked his door, and opened it. He stared at the two Kelownan Security Guards that were standing there. "Can I help you?"
One of the guards let out a sigh seeing that he was all right. "We're going to have to ask you to come with us, Sir."
"To go with you? What's going on?" Jonas wasn't going to go anywhere without at least knowing why.
Avidan stood and moved towards the door. He stayed out of sight, but he was still concerned.
"There's been an incident, Sir. We can't disclose any more information then that. Please, for your own protection, we need you to come with us." The other guard was a bit sterner.
"Do you know how long I'll be gone for?" Jonas looked over at Avidan; he didn't want him being too concerned for him. Although at the same time he wanted to be considerate.
"We're not sure, Sir. Could be hours, or it could be days." The first guard scanned the inside of the apartment.
"I should pack something then." Jonas was just completely thrown off. He wondered what could have happened.
"We really need to leave now, Sir." The second guard hardened his voice. He meant what he said.
"I'll get your things together for you, Son." Avidan stepped into the view of the guards. "Just please send word when you know how long your going to be."
The guards didn't see the elderly man at first, and were a bit shocked that he was there.
"Thank you. There's plenty of food in the pantry, and the rent is paid up for the rest of the period." Jonas had a feeling that he was going to be gone for a long time. He couldn't help it; there was just something that didn't sit right with him about being asked to leave his apartment.
Avidan nodded as he watched Jonas leave with the Security Guards. He then closed the door and locked it before going to prepare a suitcase for Jonas. He too felt that something was wrong, but he just wasn't sure what it was.
The Jacob Carter - In Orbit Around Earth
Kyna took the head set off her head, and laid down on the ground. She closed her eyes trying to clear her mind. Genetics... something that she never wanted to have to dabble in again...
"Kyna Dior are you not well?" Thor walked over to where she was laying down.
She sat up and placed the headset back on, "I just needed a little break. I'll get back to work now." Kyna gave Thor a weak smile.
"The Asgard High Council wishes to convene and discuss your current project. I will transport you back down to Earth while we are away." He tilted his head watching her.
Kyna blinked, her brain had been over taxed with this project. However she wanted to finish it. The Asgard were a legacy in themselves. They were her people's first experiment to fail. She thought that they were a magnificent race. She was very proud of them and their accomplishments.
While she was eating earlier, she wondered if they watched over the people of this galaxy because they might feel some kinship to them. Or perhaps they had become their adopted children since they could not make their own. Unless they were just good by nature, and were simply doing what was right. She just did not know, and could not think about the matter further.
Those thoughts swam around in her mind. She knew that it would be pointless to continue at this time anyway. She just couldn't focus anymore. "Okay... good... You're a good Asgard, Thor. I like you, just beam me down to the SGC. Maybe the cafeteria... That would be good. They have macaroni and cheese today. At least I think they do. How many days have I been here?"
Thor watched her closely; she had paled considerably since she had come aboard the day before. "About one Earth day." He turned and walked to the council.
"Really? I would have at least guessed a week, or two. But just a day..." She felt pathetic. "Okay..." She sighed as she tried to focus her mind again; "you'll tell me the results of your meeting?"
"Perhaps." Thor beamed her down to the SGC.
Star Gate Command - General Jack O'Neill's Office
Jack was just hanging up the phone when he blinked seeing Kyna being beam in.
Kyna looked around still feeling pretty dazed. "I said beam me to the Cafeteria." She crossed her arms in front of her on the desk and placed her head down.
"Hello, Kiddo. Did you have fun?" Jack smiled.
Kyna glared up at him for a moment, "Oh, a blast!" She put her head back down on the table.
"I'm guessing that's a 'no'." He grinned; he liked seeing her with her guard down.
"I think I'm going to make a list. 'Things that I hate to do'. Number one: Genetics. Number two: ummm... I haven't done too many things to distinguish what number two is yet. But I will have a number two, oh so help me!"
"I'm sure you will." He tilted his head; "I'll let you in on a little secret. I hate paper work."
Kyna looked up at him again. She grinned, "Oh, but you do it so well!"
Jack leaned over the table and lightly pushed her head back down into her arms. "I think you need some rest." He grinned.
Kyna mumbled something with her head down like that. She could lift it if she liked because he was barely holding it down.
He lifted his hand, and brought it to his ear. "What was that Dior?"
Kyna sat up and leaned back into the chair. She was now out of his reach, "I said that I think that I forgot to sleep." She had deep circles under her eyes to prove it too.
"Ah, so that's why you're so cranky." This was the most fun Jack had all day. The cafeteria people had been bothering him about being sent the wrong type of onions. The supplies to send to the Alpha Sight were three days late, and he had to start thinking about what departments to start to down size.
Kyna stuck her tongue out at him. She then grinned as she shook her head, "I'm glad that you find my crankiness to be entertaining."
"Hey Jack!" Daniel popped his head into Jack's office. He didn't see Kyna sitting there at first.
"Good afternoon, Daniel. How can I help you?" Jack tilted his head as he said this in a condescending manner.
"Very funny." Daniel grinned, "I was wondering if I could go with SG-17 to P3X - 291 tomorrow. They think they've found Furling ruins." He raised his eyebrows over the rims of his glasses.
Furlings... Furlings, why wasn't she ever able to pull up any information about them? She tilted her head, as she swung the chair around to face Daniel. "Hi Daniel." She smiled; it was obvious that she was exhausted.
Daniel blinked seeing her, "Hey! You're back, I missed you at breakfast!"
Breakfast... she wondered if she ate breakfast. She ate something, left over finger foods. They should have been refrigerated after they were beamed on board last night, but they weren't. She hardly ate anything today; she wondered if that's why she was in a daze. Her mind was racing. Normally she got a migraine when she didn't eat, so she wasn't sure.
"I'll think about it, Daniel. Why don't you help Ms. Dior to the infirmary to get checked out, and be sure to see that she gets something to eat, too."
"Sure," Daniel put his hands into his pockets.
Kyna stood, and wobbled for a moment. "See you tomorrow Jack, I'm going home and going to bed as soon as I'm able too." She nodded; she wanted to sleep in her house. She would move her stuff from here to there tomorrow. It wasn't like she had a lot of stuff here. In fact, she didn't really have anything here. A few candles, her laptop, but besides that she had everything already over there. Even the ring platform had been installed already. She knew that she could never say anything about that. President Hayes said not to tell anyone, just in case of a foothold situation, but she thought that was silly. They had to see the ring platform being installed in her office! Unless those people didn't normally work in the SGC...
"Kyna!" Daniel wanted to help snap her out of it.
"Oh... sorry." She walked out the office and went to the left.
Daniel quickly stopped her and turned her around towards the right. "The Infirmary is this way."
"Oh, yeah, sorry." Kyna spun towards the correct direction.
Daniel gave Jack a wince though the office door.
Jack just shook his head and grinned. He opened a new folder thinking to himself that he knew exactly how she felt.
Langara-Executive Meeting Room
Jonas was escorted into the Executive Meeting Room by the same two guards that had not left his side since he departed from his apartment. The room was dimly lit like always. The curtains were drawn, and all that he could make out were two figures sitting at the other side of the long rectangular table as his eyesight adjusted.
One of the guards motioned for him to make his way down the table towards the empty seat across from one of the figures.
Jonas's brows came together, he had no idea what was going on, but he had a feeling that he was about to find out.
First Minister Dreylock stood at the head of the table. "Jonas Quinn, I'm glad that you are able to join us."
"I really didn't have a choice in the matter," He looked over his shoulder at the two security guards.
The man that was to Dreylock's right stood up, "It was a necessary precaution."
"I hope you recognize, Officer Svatos, he's the Head of Security for the Joint International Security Force." She motioned for them to sit.
"Yes, of course, I remember you. Could you tell me what's going on?" Jonas sat down in the chair in front of him.
"Where were you all day yesterday? Please list your locations and times." Officer Svatos was a no nonsense type of man. He wanted to get to the point of the matter as quickly as possible.
"Well, during the morning I was at my apartment with Professor Udo. I invited him to stay with me until he finds his own place to live. We left for the University around midday. While there we attended a lecture that was being given by Professor Saul, and then one that was being given by Professor Hasties. After that Professor Udo had me speak to his class, and then we came here." Jonas sat with his hands on his lap. He had not done anything wrong, so why were they questioning him?
Officer Svatos looked over his notes, and wrote down a few words. "Thank you, that confirms the information that we were able to gather."
"Can you tell me what's going on now?" Jonas looked between the two of them.
"I don't know how to break this to you, but Lucia Tarthus was assassinated yesterday. And there was an assassination attempt on Vin Eremal life as well." First Minister Dreylock held a grave look on her face.
Jonas was speechless. He couldn't believe his ears; he just simply sat back in his chair and stared at her.
"Apparently all the members of the Joint Council are being targeted." First Minister Dreylock folded her hands in front of her.
"For some time we have been tracking an underground organization that's main goal is to prevent the unity of our world. They also think that it was better when we were constantly at war with each other." Officer Svatos leaned back into his chair.
"Is Vin Eremal going to live?" Jonas was extremely concerned.
"His condition is stable for right now, how ever he does not remember anything about the attack." Dreylock sighed.
"Vin Eremal is currently under escort to return to a hospital in Tirania." Officer Svatos stared at him.
"Will he be safe there?" Jonas asked.
"We are keeping him under a twenty four hour guard." Officer Svatos cleared his throat, "However that now leaves you. As you know our numbers are too few to keep an eye on the both of you at all times while heading up the investigation."
"Meaning?" Jonas was now really worried.
"We want you to return to Earth for the time being." Dreylock looked at Officer Svatos and then back at the young man before her. She had noticed how excited he had been to see Earthlings yesterday, and she couldn't think of a safer place for him to go.
"Have they agreed to take me in again?" Jonas's brows came together, as he was thinking it over. It was true that he missed his friends, but he would have rather gone and visited them on a vacation instead of hiding out there while the Joint International Security Force investigated what was going on.
"We have yet to contact them, but since you have such a good relationship with them, we feel that they would gladly accept you back." Dreylock watched him closely.
Jonas nodded slowly, "I understand." He looked up at them, "Is there anything that I can do to help?"
"Nothing for the time being. Except that you could make a list of the things that you will need. We'll send someone over to your apartment to pick them up for you." Dreylock gave him an encouraging little smile.
"I feel like I'm running away." Jonas shook his head, he felt that he should stay and help out.
"You're not running away. If anything you are preserving what is left of the Joint Council. We can't risk having that completely eliminated, especially with the up coming elections. And besides that, we really do have our hands full here, and it would help us a great deal if you were to go to Earth and remain there until we are able to bring you back." Dreylock sat forward in her chair as she said this to him. She knew that Jonas was a man of integrity, and always did what he thought was right.
SGC Infirmary
Kyna was sitting on one of the beds, she felt exhausted. Never before had she pushed herself like she did during the last forty-eight hours. She had hardly been able to sleep the night before going to Langara because she had been both nervous and excited. She had been nervous about explaining the shield technology, and at the same she was excited to go off world again.
The blue curtain was quickly pulled away and then drawn back again as Dr. Katrina Viola stood in front of her. Katrina had the afternoon shift today, and was not the one to give Kyna her physical.
She waited a moment to hear if the girl would come up with some excuse to try to leave the infirmary like she always did whenever they wanted to run a test on her. When she didn't Kat frowned. "I thought that you hated coming here." She tilted her head.
"Oh, yeah, I guess that's my number two." Kyna let out a very loud yawn.
"Number two?" Kat shook her head, "Never mind." She looked at the results of her physical. "Everything looks in order as far as we can tell. You just need to eat and rest." She smiled.
"I feel so... so..." Kyna didn't know what to call it.
"Out of it?" Kat took her reading glasses off her freckled nose.
Kyna's eyes widened, "Yes!"
Kat helped Kyna to her feet. "I've ordered a car for you to take you home, there is a special meal for you to eat on the way there."
"Oh? How is it special?" Kyna's mouth started to water without even knowing what it was.
"Very high in calories; plenty of eggs, meat and cheese, along with a couple of hash browns and fruit. That should make up for some of the calories you burned off today." Katrina walked out of the infirmary with her. The last thing she needed was for Kyna to fall asleep in the elevator on the way up to the surface.
Kyna smiled, thinking about all that food. Her body needed the calories and the extra fats to keep her repository running without giving her migraines since it had sped up her metabolism. "Wonderful. I think I'm going to take tomorrow off. Well, that is if the Asgard doesn't come back tomorrow. Thor is meeting with the High Council."
Katrina nodded, "I think that would be wise for you to do Hun." She entered the elevator with her, she decided to escort her home and to make sure she got to bed safely.
Two Hours Later - Control Room
Sam was busy finishing a diagnostic on the Gate System. She then stood and stretched as she yawned.
"Hey how's it going?" Jack walked over to where she was working. He had two cups of coffee, one in each hand.
"I'm finished, Sir." Sam smiled.
"Perfect, coffee?" Jack put out his left hand, "it's just the way you like it." He grinned.
"Thank you, Sir. That was very thoughtful of you." She sipped it.
"Ah, that's because I'm a thoughtful guy." Jack shrugged his shoulders as he was still grinning.
The Star Gate came to life as the different Chevrons began to lock into place.
Jack and Sam walked over to where Walter was seated. He was in front of the controls for the Iris. "Report."
"It's Langara, Sir. They're dialing in right on time." Walter looked over his shoulder.
"SGC, this is Jonas Quinn, permission to come though the Gate."
"Ah!" Jack sipped his coffee. "Open the Iris."
"Yes, Sir." Walter placed his hand on the Iris opening device. He then went on the radio, "permission granted, please proceed though the Gate."
After the Iris was completely opened, Jack and Sam walked down to the Gate Room. Daniel was all ready standing there. He looked over his shoulder, "Hey guys."
"Hi Daniel." Sam smiled.
Daniel turned his head as he heard the steps on the ramp.
Jonas was caring a very large suitcase, a large duffle bag, his laptop caring case, and a large backpack.
"Welcome back, Jonas!" Sam was excited to see him, even though the circumstances for which he had to come were not pleasant.
"Thank you, it's nice to be back." Jonas smiled.
The three of them quickly rushed over to help him. Jack took the duffle bag while Daniel took the suitcase, and Sam took the laptop caring case.
Jack was surprised by how heavy it was, "planning on staying a while?"
"Pretty much so, yeah. Unless they catch the murders, until then they don't have a clue of what to do with me." Jonas frowned he hated the idea that he was just a pawn in someone's game, but for right now he had no choice but to stay at the SGC.
They all walked out of the Gate Room as the event horizon closed. "How's the international scene taking it?" Sam inquired.
"Oh, they're keeping everything quite for right now until they know who to blame. The last thing that each of the governments want is a war to be started over this; basically, they feel that is the aim of the organization behind it." Jonas adjusted his backpack on his shoulders.
Jack looked at Daniel and Sam with a bit of surprise on his face. "You mean to tell me, they are actually going to think before they act?"
They reached the elevator, and entered. "I'm just as surprised by it as you are." Jonas smirked.
Daniel thought that now would be a good time to change the subject, "You got all of this stuff together rather fast..."
"Oh, that wasn't me. That was Avidan. He's been like a father to me for as far back as I can remember. They came and took me from my apartment when he was over, so he went and packed for me. I haven't a clue as to what he actually put together." Jonas looked over to the panel where the numbers changed as the elevator moved to the next floor.
When the elevator door opened, they all stepped out and to walk towards where Jonas's old room used to be. "That was really nice of him to do. He seems like a great guy." Sam smiled.
"And how would you know that, Colonel?" Jack asked.
"Oh, I met him at the reception, Sir." Sam stopped as they reached Jonas's room.
"Ah, I see." Jack took the swipe card out of his pocket, and slashed it though the box next to the door. He then handed it to Jonas.
Jonas walked in first, and turned on the lights. He looked around in disbelief and then back at them, "Nothing's changed!"
"Well, we wanted you to know that you're always welcomed back here no matter what." Jack placed the duffle bag down by the door, and smiled. He turned and walked down the hall.
Jonas watched Jack leave, he couldn't believe it; he was starting to feel rather emotional.
Sam smiled at Jonas's reaction, she missed him hanging around her lab. "Your office hasn't changed either."
"Really? I would at least thought that someone would have moved into there by now." Jonas looked between the two of them.
"Nah, no one could fill your shoes around here, so we left it the way it was." Daniel walked into the room and placed the suitcase on the bed. "Although, one thing..."
Jonas was taking the backpack off. "What's that?"
"Your fish... I've kind of let someone else have them." Daniel looked rather guilty.
"Daniel, you gave away his fish?" Sam looked at him after he placed the lap top case on the desk.
"Well, she said that it helped her to relax her mind when she was watching them..." Daniel was at a loss for words he didn't know what else to say. Kyna had noticed them shortly after they got back from the mission on Enapay's world. He had felt so guilty about not being there for that interview that he basically gave her anything she wanted.
Sam shook her head, "You shouldn't spoil her so much."
"I know." Daniel shrugged.
"Whom are you talking about?" Jonas was pretty much confused.
"The scientist that the Asgard beamed away when we were on your planet." Sam explained. "She tends to leave projects running, so your slash card should be able to get into her office if you want to get them back. Because, I think she has tomorrow off."
"Where's her office?" He wanted to make sure that he sat down with her and went over the plans for the shields.
"Actually it's just to the right of yours," Daniel put his hands in his pockets.
Early the Next Morning Around 0430 Hours
Jonas couldn't sleep; his body was running on his world's time. He went over to his desk and tried to work on the Naquadria equation, but each time he tried to fix it, those violet eyes came to the front of his mind.
He rubbed his eyes and sighed, as he doubted that he would ever see her again. He didn't even know her name. And from what Avidan told him, she wasn't even in his class, so he didn't have anyway of figuring out how to find her.
After he tried to fall back asleep again, he decided that his mind would not shut down, so he needed someway to relax it. That's where the fish always came in. No matter how much stress he had felt being trapped down in the SGC for all those months, he would be able to look at those fish. When he looked at them, he was able to relate to them as they too were trapped in the same predicament as he was. The fish also relaxed him, and helped him keep things in perspective.
He stood and got dressed, only about twenty minutes had passed. And by 0500, he was walking down the empty hall towards the elevator, and from there to his office. However he didn't enter it. Instead he went towards the office to the right of his. He wanted to read the nameplate, but there was nothing on it.
He hesitated for a moment, and then looked both ways down the hall. Upon seeing that it was empty he used his slash card and entered the room.
What he found was several chalkboards pressed against the far wall. He was surprised to see that there really weren't any books on the shelves above the desk, but instead there were many different artifacts that he could tell were of Ancient origins. On the walls were many different prints of paintings, some looked as if they were originals, others were obviously copies. He didn't see any photographs anywhere, which made him wondered what this scientist looked like. There wasn't really anything in the center of the room except for a drafting table, and that was right next to the chalkboards. When he turned towards the wall that the door was located on, he spotted his fish.
Jonas closed the door and walked over to them. They looked like they had gotten bigger since they were in a larger tank that had to be at least three feet wide and two feet tall. In the center of the tank was a model of a city that extended out on six piers.
He shifted his eyes to the framework of the tank, and noticed that here there were also six shiny black panels that blended into the metal casing. He pressed one of them and was shocked to see that it started to glow. He stepped back, not knowing what to do.
Before he could move any further, the ring platform came up around him and transported him out of the SGC.
Location Unknown
When the ring transporter finished doing its work, Jonas found himself in a very dark location. He turned around in a complete circle and still was not able to see a thing. Finally he took several cautious steps forward before being hit in the face by some sort of cord. He felt it in-between his fingertips. Apparently it was beaded with a ball on the its end. This made him feel above the cord until he was touching something that extended from the ceiling. It was round and smooth, it kind of reminded him of a doorknob, but he shook his head, there wouldn't be any doorknobs on the ceiling. He then gently tugged on the chain.
A dim light filled the room. Jonas sighed, as he felt slightly better. He took in his surroundings. The floor was made out of dirt, and the walls were all cement with several heavily curtained windows that were in a line next to the old wooden ceiling. The room was empty save for several stairs that lead up to a double door that was locked in three different locations from the inside with steal rods that were screwed into the frame holding it in place. He didn't think that he would be able to leave from there, so he turned around again. He hadn't noticed it at first but there was a staircase along one of the sidewalls that had wooden planks coving its assent.
Jonas walked over to the stairs and made his way up them. He winced each time one of the old boards would creak under the pressure of his weight. Upon reaching the landing with the door on it, Jonas was barely able to see anything. The light from down the stairs was barely visible. He took a deep breath and then turned the old porcelain doorknob. It screeched as it was opened. He thought that the hinges needed to be oiled. The door opened towards him and all that he could see in front of him was less then a foot of space.
Jonas frowned as he wondered what he would do next. It made him worry at the same time, no one knew where he was, and at this point he wasn't willing to make any guesses of why the ring platform was in that scientist's office. Would she know that he activated it when she came into work tomorrow? He also wondered why he hadn't seen any machine that would make the rings work in reverse.
He extended his hand in front of him to touch the wall just beyond the door. To his surprise it budged. Jonas's eyebrows came together, he pushed the wall a bit harder and it swung open several more inches. He smiled; he was going to get out of there! He pushed it more until there was a wide enough space for him to squeeze though after closing the door behind him.
After squeezing though the opening in the wall, Jonas found himself in another dark room. But this time when he extended his hands, he felt shelves to his one side. He turned around to feel the wall that he came through but it was no longer extended out. It had closed behind him. "Great..." Jonas then moved several steps forwards and was hit in the face by a chain. This time he smiled and pulled it.
This light was much better. He turned completely around; apparently his was in some sort of pantry. Tons of can goods and boxes littered the walls to the left side of him and to his right was a large deep freeze refrigerator. When he looked at the wall that he came though, he found that it had shallow shelves on it with different cereals, and cooking books.
He was even more confused now then before. Why on Earth would someone hide a secret door that lead into a pantry? Jonas turned towards the door that would lead out of the room. Along the walls next to it were more can foods and boxes. He did have to admit that everything was laid out in an orderly fashion.
Upon exiting the pantry, Jonas found yet again, another dark room, but at least this time he was able to make out windows along the far wall because it was slowly becoming dawn. He was about to take another step when he heard a loud hiss. Jonas looked down to see the glowing eyes of a cat. He hadn't stepped on the animal, but at the same time he was glad that it hissed other wise he would have.
The cat watched him for another minute before it meowed and then it started to rub itself against his leg. Jonas stepped out of the doorway to let the light from the pantry fill the room. He was now able to make out that this was some sort of kitchen. He crossed the room and was followed by the cat.
When he exited the kitchen, he felt along the wall of the next room and found a light switch. Once the light was on, he was able to see that the room that he had entered was still under construction. There was a large tarp along the far wall along with power tools and pieces of wood. There was also several paint cans stacked on top of each other next to a stool and painting equipment.
Jonas thought to himself for a moment, he was either in a restaurant or a residence. He wasn't sure which, but he crossed the room to the front door anyway to peered outside. All that he could make out was a long winding driveway that leads up to a road. He didn't see any cars parked in the driveway.
He rubbed the back of his head as he thought of what to do next. Apparently he wouldn't starve, but he did want to get back to the SGC as soon as possible. In the meantime, he decided that perhaps it would be best to explore the rest of this location.
Near the door was another staircase. He cautiously walked up these stairs, but was surprised to find out that they didn't creak.
Once he reached the top of the stairs he turned on the light. Along the wall that was across from him were four doors; they were all pretty much spread apart. To his right was another door, and to his left three more. At the far end of the hall was one last door, which he decided that he would check out last. He first tried the door to his right.
The room was empty save an easel and a tarp on the ground. On the walls there were about six oil paintings. Four of them were of the strangest cities that he had ever seen in his life. One was floating over a ravine in the background and there was a strange flying animal flapping its wings in the foreground. The next painting was that of a stone city with different animal banners aligning the walls. The third painting was of a city with large elongated buildings with arching architecture. The last painting of a city was the same as the model that he found in the fish tank. But instead of it being underwater, this city was protected under a dome on an icy glacier.
Jonas grinned at the fifth painting in the room, it was that of a large orange cat. He turned around and saw the very same cat watching him in the doorway. He motioned towards the painting, "Hey, look someone painted your portrait." The cat merely blinked at him.
The last painting in the room was that of a man. He tilted his head as he looked over his features. He had dark mahogany wavy hair with clear aqua eyes. He didn't appear to be that much older then himself. The man in the painting was wearing a white shirt and jacket. He almost seemed to radiate a white light as he stood in what appeared to be an underground city.
Jonas tore his eyes away from the paintings and exited the room. Across the hall was an empty room, and next to that one there was another empty room. Jonas tried the room next to that one, and found it empty too. He shook his head, three empty rooms... When he crossed the hall to the other side he found a large bathroom. The door next to that was a linen closet. There weren't that many towels and linens in there, but it did suggest to him that someone did indeed use the bathroom on occasion. Jonas checked the forth door on the opposite side of the hall, and only found a radio inside the room along with a mat on the ground and an average sized television set against the wall.
He exited that room and crossed the hall to last room on that wall. This one appeared to be some sort of library. There was a large mahogany desk in front of a large bay window. On one wall was a large bookshelf and opposite of that was a large drafting table. He moved over to the table to take a look at the drawing that was present. To his surprise he found an entire blueprint of what he thought was a ZPM. He blinked several times and saw that, no; the blueprint was that of the shield technology. He didn't have time to study it when he heard a voice.
"You have no idea how hard it has been to try to explain that to the people at the SGC."
Jonas turned and saw a woman studying him. At first he thought that she was wearing a blue SGC uniform with her hair back behind her shoulders. He closed his eyes and rubbed his head.
"Are you okay, Jonas?" She walked into the room and stood about a foot in front of him.
When he opened his eyes, all he could see at first was dark spiral curls and a curvy figure. She was wearing the same color blue as the SGC uniform, but it looked nothing like it. The fabric was silky, and she was wearing short shorts and a fitted cami with a bit of lace that framed its v-neck shape.
He lifted his gaze to her face, and saw that she was blushing. But what amazed him even more were those violet eyes. "You!"
Kyna took at step back, "Me? What are you doing here?"
"What am I doing here? What are you doing here? Why did you run away from me?" He shook his head, he couldn't believe it, there she was standing in front of him and all that he could do was yell at her.
Kyna crossed the room and sat on top of the desk. She tried to figure out why Jonas Quinn was all of a sudden in her library at five thirty in the morning. "Did you touch the fish tank in my office?"
"Well... yes... they're my fish... when I lived at the SGC I used to watch them whenever I couldn't sleep." He frowned as he tired to not look at her.
"Oh, I see..." Kyna crossed her arms in front of her chest, "I was sure that would be the perfect spot for the controls to the ring platform..."
Jonas looked at her, but had to look quickly away. "Why is there a ring platform in your office?"
Kyna tilted her head as she watched him; he seemed to be pretty anxious. She chewed on her lip as she decided how much to tell him. She sighed, it wouldn't do him any good to know the entire truth, and so she decided just to show him the letter. She slid off the desk and walked over to the mirror by the door. She placed her hand on it, and it melted away. On a tiny shelf behind where the mirror used to be were several letters. She went through them until she found the one from General Hammond. She extended her hand out to Jonas.
"What's this?" He frowned, as he took the letter. He read it through as he sat in the leather chair that was on the same wall as the door. He nodded slowly, "so the ring platform beams you directly here so that you can warn Hammond if there is ever a foot hold situation? And you're the only one that knows about it?"
Kyna knelt in front of him, "That's right, it would also be used to transport troops into the SGC in the same case."
"Why you?" Jonas was curious.
"Why not me?" Kyna smiled, she couldn't tell him that she was an Ancient and that it would be a very bad thing if an unknown alien got a hold of her and her repository.
"I don't know that's why I'm asking you." He almost forgot what he was asking her about as he stared into her eyes once more.
Kyna shrugged and stood. She started to walk out the door when she stopped and turned towards him, "are you hungry?"
"Hungry?" He felt his stomach rumble, and nodded.
"I'll make us something to eat." Kyna leaned against the frame of the door as she waited for him to stand.
Jonas watched her; he really wished that she were wearing a bathrobe. He shook his head as he tried not to think about it. She must have just waked up and that's why she was dressed like that. He forced himself to just look at her face as he joined her at the door. He thought that it was a very beautiful face; her lips were so... he stopped himself from thinking about that too as they walked down the hall. He had to think of something else, "Kyna wait up for a second."
She turned around wondering what he was going to say.
His brows came together and he rubbed the back of his head, he wondered how he knew her name. It wasn't even mentioned in General Hammond's letter.
"What is it Jonas?" Kyna started to wonder if all the men from his planet acted as strangely as he was.
He tried to think of something to say, "Can you tell me about those paintings?" He looked over to the door that leads to the gallery.
Kyna shrugged and smiled, she hadn't shown them off yet. "Sure!" She almost skipped to the room, but it was only several feet away. She held the door open for him, "after you."
He walked in and almost tripped on the cat. Apparently it had gotten locked in there when he closed the door.
Kyna started with the paintings of the cities. "I'm very fascinated by the Alliance of the Four Races. So, I painted a city from each of them. This one here is that of the Nox." She motioned towards the flying city. She then motioned towards the second one, "This one is that of the Furlings." Augustus started to purr as he rubbed his face against Kyna's big toe, he then started to circle around and rub up against her leg. "This third one is the old Asgard capital. It is no longer in existence since the Replicaters destroyed it." She sighed, as she thought about how much knowledge had been lost because of that war. "The last one is Atlantis before it left Earth."
"Atlantis?" Jonas thought that he could recall something about that written by Plato.
"Also known as the 'Lost City of the Ancients'. At least that's what everyone thinks it is." She shrugged, "All of these are just my representation of what I believed them to look like." She didn't want to say that she had pulled the images from the back of her mind.
"They're amazing..." He looked at each of them in turn again and then back at her. He saw the slightest blush on her cheeks as she turned to walk towards the last two paintings.
Jonas picked up the cat. It started to meow as he tried to pull away from his arms. "I take it that's a portrait of this cubby guy."
Kyna turned and grinned, "That's right. I really do need to put Augustus on a diet."
The cat looked at her and hissed before jumping out of Jonas's arms and running to the far side of the room by the door.
Kyna shook her head; some times she thought that the cat knew exactly what she was saying or thinking. She turned towards the last painting, "This one is my favorite. He really is handsome, don't you think?" She looked over her shoulder when she sensed a change in Jonas's emotions.
Jonas couldn't help it, whoever the man was, he was jealous. "Handsome?"
"Mmhmm." Kyna smiled to herself, she reached up and touched the cheek of the man in the painting. That was her way of showing affection, "Jethro Dior, I miss him terribly."
"Is he your lover?" Jonas's stomach started to turn, he couldn't imagine her in the arms of the man on the wall, but he had to ask.
Kyna thought for a moment as she tried to figure out what he meant. Then it hit her, "oh no!" She turned to look at him; her eyes were rather wide. She couldn't figure out why on Earth he would ask her such a thing.
"Then who is he? You said you missed him." Jonas shifted his weight on his feet.
"That's my father! He died when I was about twelve years old." Her eyes became misty as she thought of that day.
Jonas's emotions shifted, he felt relived that this man wasn't her lover, but at the same time he felt bad that he was her dead father. He placed his hand on her bare shoulder. "Kyna, I'm sorry."
She stared at his chest, and sniffled. "It's okay." She turned again to look at the painting when she noticed that there was a lot of light coming though the window. "Goodness! They're going to notice that your missing if I don't get you back soon." She moved past him and into the hall.
He followed her out of the room, but this time he made sure that he didn't lock the cat inside.
SGC - General Jack O'Neill's Office
Sam knocked on the door.
"It's open!" Jack was sitting at his desk with his fist supporting his head. He was reading over SG 7s reports from the Langara mission.
"Bad time, Sir?" Sam was standing there with her hands behind her back.
Jack sat up, "Oh yeah, just reading some very..." He yawned, "interesting reports."
Sam walked in and removed her hands from behind her back. She placed a radio with a white KD written on the side and a logbook on his desk before sitting down.
"What's this?" Jack raised his eyebrows.
"This is Kyna's radio, and this is the log book which she signed it out." She opened it to the page where she signed it out.
"So..." Jack knew that she had a point, but he had no idea what it was.
Sam leaned forward as she placed her elbows on her knees. "I began to wonder, why I couldn't get her on the radio while we were on Langara. So, as soon as she came back from the mission I went and checked her radio."
"What did you find out?" Jack crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"Well, for one Sir, the battery was dead. And not just we need to charge it dead, but completely dead." She held one finger up, "But when I inspected the radio I noticed something."
"And that is...?" Jack just wanted her to get to the point already.
"The serial number." Her bright blue eyes widened.
Jack looked lost.
"The serial number of the battery is different than that of the radio." Sam pointed to the serial number that was written in the logbook for both the battery and the radio.
"Someone changed the battery?" Jack shook his head, "That's normal, right?"
"No, Sir, it's not. We replace the radios long before we need to replace the batteries. After each mission the batteries are charged while they are still attached to the radios." Sam raised her brows.
"You mean someone purposely switched the batteries in that radio? Why?" Jack wondered about the relevance of the situation.
"Why, Sir, I don't know right now. But don't you think that it's odd that someone changed a perfectly good battery with a dead one?" She tilted her head.
"Yes that's odd... maybe there was a good reason for it? Maybe they didn't know it was dead. Why not check the finger prints see who else has touched it?" Jack suggested.
"I already did that, Sir. Besides my own and Kyna's there are no other visible finger prints." Sam sighed.
"Well, that stinks." Jack was only mildly concerned.
"Yes it does, Sir, because that means that who ever changed the battery also whipped it down afterwards. There should be at least three different sets of prints on it. Mine, Kyna's and the person who charged the batteries before we left for the mission."
Jack's brows came together. He was starting to get worried. "The Langaran mission was a simple one. You go there give them the plans and then leave. The is no reason what so ever that anyone could have thought that the kiddo would have left your side."
"I know, Sir. Perhaps it was a calculated risk? At this point we can only guess what happened." She stared at him as she waited for him to say something over the next couple of minutes.
Jack couldn't think of anything to do that would solve the problem. "Keep an eye on her, and tell Daniel to do that too. I'll stop in when ever I can to check up on her."
Sam nodded, as she picked up the radio and the logbook.
Jack just thought of something. "Hey Carter, did you look over the surveillance tape for the radio locker?"
"That's one of the first things that I did, Sir. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary." Sam stood.
Jack rubbed his chin, "alright, and make sure you ask Dior to see if she changed the battery. You know how she's always tinkering with stuff around here."
"Will do, Sir."
Later that Day - Langara - Location Unknown
A man sat at a desk in the shadows of the setting sun. Normally he was a very patience man. At least he thought so; although right now his patience were running very thin. He was pleased that Lucia Tarthus had been eliminated, but the other two escaped. Taking care of Vin Eremal won't be that difficult. He chuckled thinking how futile the efforts of the Joint International Security Force were. With any luck Jonas Quinn will be eliminated as well. Then he will have his war, and cleanse the country of all outside influences.
The Following Day - SGC - Hallway
Jonas and Daniel were walking and talking as they made their way down the hall. "You know it doesn't even feel like I ever left this place. Of course there a lot of changes, but this place does not look any different."
Daniel had his hands stuffed in his pockets, "I agree with you there has been a lot of changes. General Hammond is in charge of Home World Security, and with Jack in charge we never know what's going to happen next." Daniel grinned.
Jonas frowned, he had heard about what happened to Dr. Fraiser. He wished that he could have said a better goodbye to her. But he wasn't going to mention that to Daniel since he knew that it would bring back an upsetting memory for him. He shook his head and tried to think of something else to ask him. "How's the Goa'uld situation?"
"Oh, they're not going to be a problem anymore." Daniel grinned. "But that's all I can really say."
"Really! Wow, that's great!" Jonas smiled and his dimples appeared, he felt like he didn't have to worry about his planet being invaded anymore. He turned towards Daniel, "Do you think that I could be reactivated on a team while I'm here? I might as well be of some use."
They had reached the section of the hallway where Daniel was going to turn off to head towards his office when Jonas stopped walking "I don't know, you would really have to ask Jack about that." Daniel gave Jonas his half smile.
"I'll have to do that." Jonas nodded.
Daniel looked down at his watch, "where are you heading?" He thought that it was a bit strange that he wasn't going towards the office area.
"Oh, I was just going to go get something to eat. My stomach is still running on Kelownan time." Jonas grinned.
"You know what, I know someone that you could eat with. She's always down there at odd times." Daniel changed directions and headed towards the elevator with Jonas. He would feel better if Jonas kept an eye on Kyna as well. He wasn't going to say that they were worried about her, but it did help him feel better knowing that Jonas could spend time with her.
"She?" Jonas was curious about whom he was talking about. The arrived at the elevator and entered.
"Yeah, she's a bit younger then you, but what ever you do not bring it up to her. I think it really bothers her that everyone around here treats her like a child." Daniel frowned as he thought about that.
"I know how that feels like." The elevator doors opened, and both men stepped out of it. They started to walk towards the cafeteria.
"I'd forgotten that you were a bit of a prodigy yourself, weren't you?" Daniel's brows came together as he thought about that. He wondered why Jonas was like that. He made a mental note to see to it that Jonas be tested for the Ancient gene.
"I don't know if prodigy is the right word for it, but yeah, it took me a long time to gain the respect of my colleges." The entered the cafeteria, and Jonas's eyes scanned the people that were seated. There really wasn't anyone there, except for a couple of tables with two or three people sitting at them. Along the side wall there was a solo person eating. Their back was turned towards them, so he couldn't see the face. All he could see was that her dark hair was parted down the middle of her head with two French braids that were twisted together down her back.
"Perfect! It looks like she hasn't eaten that much yet." Daniel smiled and walked over to the woman who had her back turned towards them. "Hey, Ky!"
Kyna was in the middle of drawing in her sketchbook. She looked up and smiled, "Hi Daniel! What are you doing here? I never see you eating at this time of the day." She closed the sketchbook and placed her hands in her lap as she looked up at him.
"Oh, well, I thought I would come over and say hi, and introduce you to a friend of mine." Daniel took his hands out of his pockets and motioned towards Jonas. "Kyna Dior, this is Jonas Quinn. Jonas this is Kyna."
Kyna's eyes lit up seeing Jonas, but she hid the fact that she had already met him. "It's nice to meet you Jonas, I've heard many things about you." She extended her hand towards his.
Jonas shook her hand, "It's nice to meet you too, Kyna. I haven't really heard anything about you." He reluctantly let go of her hand. "Mind if I join you?"
"Oh, please do, I'm so bored!" Kyna grinned, she was happy to have someone to eat with.
Daniel mistook Kyna's excitement for finally being about to talk with the person whom she came up with the cure for the Viralyn all those months ago. "Well, I've got work to do, I'll leave you two to get to know each other better." Daniel waved to them as he left.
"See you later Daniel!" Kyna called to him as he left the room.
Jonas couldn't help it; he had a huge grin on his lips. Finally, they were officially introduced to each other. In a lowered voice he said to her, "Sorry for dropping in on you like that the other day." He rubbed the back of his head.
Kyna pressed her finger to her lips, and giggled. "It's okay, no harm done."
"I'm just going to go get some food, and then I'll be right back." He put his hands in his pockets.
Kyna grinned, "I'll be waiting for you to return."
Jonas walked off to get some food. He thought about what Daniel said to him in the elevator. He really didn't think that she looked like a child. Especially after the way he saw her in her house. He grinned the entire time that he was getting his food as he thought about yesterday morning. She had made him breakfast in only a matter of a few moments, and ate with him. They really didn't get to talk very much because they were rushing, but now there was no rush. He could find out more about her. Although he thought to himself that it really wasn't that bad for a first date, or at least what he was considering a first date. He had no idea what she thought about it.
He returned to the table to find her chewing at staring into space. He thought that she looked nervous, but he could be mistaken. As soon as he sat down, her face lit up. It really made him smile. "So, we meet again."
"Indeed we do." Kyna had been nervous, she had no idea of what to say to him. Almost everything that was relative in her own life was confidential, and she had learned much about him during his lecture at the University.
Jonas wasn't really sure what to say to her either now that he had the opportunity to talk to her. "Daniel was telling me that everyone treats you like a child?" He shook his head, "I really don't see it."
Kyna's cheeks turned red, and she looked down at her food. "Yeah, they do." She shyly looked up from her food, "how old do you think I am?"
Jonas finished chewing a bite of his sandwich. He then said in a nonchalant manner, "about twenty five." He studied her reaction.
Kyna couldn't help it, she beamed him a smile. "Thank you!" She giggled, "you're right, that's my age!"
Meanwhile - Elsewhere in the SGC
He couldn't believe it. He had the opportunity to eliminate her, and it slipped though his fingers. Or rather the Asgard showed up at the wrong time. He knew that he should have eliminated her while she stood by the window in the University hall. But all he was able to do was scare her. At least he thought that he scared her.
He was angry with her. Angry that she came to the SGC, angry that he might be fired because of her or transferred to some corner of this planet because of her.
The rumors around the base were that they were downsizing. Some would be transferred to Area 51, while others would go to Antarctica. Area 51, nothing but sand and heat...he remembered visiting there to help work on the Osiris's hand device. All the people there seemed to act like zombies while doing their work. No one talked to each other unless it had to do with the project at hand. He found the environment to be quite disheartening.
Antarctica, he felt like gagging. He hated the snow, and the cold weather. At least while he was here at the SGC he had the opportunity to go off world and see new places. He liked the amount of money he was earning and the experiments he was conducting. Then she came along. She knew everything... He remembered the first day that he met her. Col. Carter came into the lab with her and showed her what he was working on. Of course she embarrassed him in front of the beautiful Col. Carter! She told her that he had to adjust something that other wise if he didn't it would blow up the lab. Col. Carter had her checking his work ever since.
He grinned his teeth together. He would just have to take care of her somewhere else. He still had the Zat that he smuggled on base from a mission. He just had to wait until she left the base and went off somewhere. He knew that her house was shielded. He had already tried to break in, but being that he lacked the Ancient Gene he could not pass the security protocol of that device. He was still wondering about how she built it when he almost ran right into an open door.
The Later that Week - SGC - Hallway
"Go on, what happened next?" Kyna looked up at Jonas as they walked back towards their offices. They had just spent the last hour in the Cafeteria eating supper.
"Well, Teal'c and I were feeling rather hungry so we went to the cargo bay to eat something. When we got there we found that all of the food was just laying about." Jonas grinned, "apparently the Asgard forgot about refrigeration!"
"Oh no! All the frozen foods! What a waist!" Kyna's eyes widened. She felt bad about them wasting food like that.
"That's what we thought too. So, we thought that we should start eating the frozen foods first. Guess what we ate." Jonas continued to grin. He was enjoying telling her about his adventures with SG1. She was a very active listener who paid attention to what he was saying while at the same time giving him complements where they were deserved.
"Umm... Hmm..." She thought about it for a moment, "Jell-O?"
"Close, ice cream! The Asgard beamed up all the ice cream from the freezer! We couldn't just let it all melt and then go to waist, now could we?" He rubbed the back of his head.
"No, you couldn't!" They arrived at their offices. Kyna stopped and turned towards him.
"Now, Teal'c is someone who you don't want to cross while he's eating ice-cream!" He pressed his lips together then rocked back and forth on his heals. "What are you going to be up to the rest of the day?"
Kyna shrugged, "I thought that I would paint one of the guest rooms." She leaned against the wall. "What are you going to do now?"
"I'm just going to grab my fleece and then work on the Naquadria problem." He leaned against the wall as well.
"Hmm... not as exciting as helping the Asgard out with the Replicators." Kyna pocked him in the arm.
Jonas poked her back, "No, not as exciting as that; although thank you for pointing out that mistake. I think I almost have it now." He took a deep breath.
"That's great! You'll have to show it to me when you're done." She pushed off from the wall, "I better get going, Lt. Howard gets annoyed when I'm late."
"Have a good night, and don't worry about Lt. Howard, it's his job to drive you around." He raised his brows.
Kyna clasped her hands together, "I know. Well, I'll see you in the morning." She reluctantly started to walk backwards.
Jonas gave her a wave and pushed off the wall.
Dr. Thatcher had his arms full of folders and other types of paper work. He was concentrating on not dropping anything.
Jonas took out his slash card and swiped it. He opened the door, and then turned to give Kyna one last smile before entering his office.
Kyna sighed as Jonas disappeared; she turned to go down the hall when she bumped right into Dr. Thatcher. "Oh! I'm so sorry!" He dropped all of his documents.
Dr. Thatcher pressed his lips together, "It's alright." He knelt down on the ground and started to pick them up.
"Let me help you with that." Kyna knelt down as well. She started to help him. "That's okay, I can do it myself, thank you!" Dr. Thatcher took the documents from her.
Daniel was just coming out of his office to leave for home. "Hey, is everything alright?"
Kyna sat back on her heals, "I accidentally bumped into Dr. Thatcher." She frowned as she looked up at him.
"No harm done, right Dr. Thatcher?" Daniel picked up the last of the documents and handed them to Dr. Thatcher.
"Of course not," Dr. Thatcher muttered.
Kyna stood up, "I'm sorry about that, I'll be more car..." A white Asgard transportation beam engulfed her.
Daniel raised his brows and blinked as he watched her disappear.
Asgard Ship - The Jacob Carter
"Greetings Kyna Dior" Thor nodded his head towards her.
"Salutations Thor, did you tell them that you beamed me up?" Kyna gave Thor a smile.
"I am in the process of doing so." Thor adjusted a crystal stone on his council.
Heimdall walked onto the bridge with the headset in his hand. "Very interested was the Council with your work. Very interested indeed." He walked over to her and extended the head set towards her.
Kyna took the headset. She wasn't looking forward to continuing the project, but she had time to think about it during the past week. Now, she had a plan of exactly what she was going to do after coming up with the proper DNA sequence. "That's good."
"The Council wants you to continue your work. We are to offer any assistance that you may require." Thor blinked.
Kyna placed the head set on, "Thank you, I'll be sure to ask."
Langara - Jonas Quinn's Apartment
Avidan Udo was sat by the window; on the coffee table in front of him laid several stacks of papers. He liked how quite the apartment was, but at the same time he missed Jonas.
He stared off into the distance as he thought about Jonas as a child. His own family had died during the last war, and all he had left was his work. He had known Jonas's father for quite a few years, and was happy for him when he became a father.
Avidan did not hear the window with the fire escape attach to it open, or the men in the black suits and sky mask creep into the room.
One of them quickly placed a cloth over Avidan's mouth. The cloth had certain drugs on it that made him feel like he was going to pass out.
Avidan tried to fight against the man, but he was much younger and stronger then him.
The Next Day - SGC Infirmary
Katrina Viola was drawing blood from Jonas to run some tests on his DNA to see if he had the Ancient Gene.
"Now how likely is it that I have this Gene?" Jonas looked up at the strawberry blond woman.
"Well, not very likely." Kat finished drawing the blood, and then took the needle out of his arm. She then proceeded to disinfect it and put a band-aid on it. "Although Dr. Jackson insisted that you be tested. If you do have it, then you will be the first person from off world that has it."
"Do you have the Ancient Gene?" Jonas rubbed his arm.
"Yes I do. I don't have as much control of the use of Ancient technology as General O'Neill though." She labeled the vial.
Jonas was quite for a moment. He couldn't help it, he knew that he had the gene, but he didn't know why. "I think I have it. I think that is what Nirrti detected when she had me in that Ancient machine."
"It is possible. I'll have to review your file." Katrina nodded.
Jack walked into the infirmary.
Katrina straightened up. "Are you feeling well, Sir?"
"Oh yeah, terrific." Jack's hands were in his pockets.
Jonas gave Jack a wave, "General."
"Hi Jonas, Daniel told me that he sent you down here to get tested for the Ancient Gene." He looked at him with no apparent emotion on his face.
"I just finished drawing his blood, Sir." Katrina waited to be dismissed before going to run the tests.
"Ah, well I have a very easy test for him." He turned towards Jonas. "Think of a planet that you've been to."
"Any planet, Sir?" Jonas looked at him with a confused look on his face.
"An uninhabited one. How about the one where Maybourne used that key to go though the Furling Arch?" Jack raised his brows.
Jonas thought about it and then nodded, "Okay, I'm thinking about it."
"Put out your hand."
Jonas tilted his head towards him and then did as he was told.
Jack withdrew a small silver looking device from his pocket. "Keep thinking about that planet." He placed it in Jonas's hand.
The device unfolded in Jonas's hand, and the sirens went off. Jack picked up the device and it closed. The sirens went off. He then proceeded to the phone. "No cause for alarm, Walter. Just testing if someone has the Ancient Gene."
Kat tilted her head as she looked up at Jonas, "Congratulations, I guess you do have the gene. Although I'll still run some tests on your blood sample to see if I can isolate it and to determine if it affects your physiology at all."
Jonas hopped off the bed, "Thank you Dr. Viola." He gave her a smile before walking after Jack.
Jack was already walking down the hall when Jonas caught up to him.
"What was that device?" Jonas was curious.
Jack had hopped to avoid explaining it to him, but it seemed like he had no choice. "It's a portable DHD. It pretty much fell into our laps a couple of months ago." He held it up to examine it. "Pretty cool, right?" He smirked.
"Yeah! I want to take another look at it." Jonas eyed the device. He wanted to figure out how it worked.
"Now that's something that I can't let you do." Jack started to walk down the hall again. He looked at Jonas who was walking with him, "it's on lone from Area 51. I thought that it would good way to test you since it was already here. I had guessed a while ago that you may have the gene, but there hasn't been any proper time to find out."
"Can I look at it while we walk?" Jonas continued to keep up with him.
"Nope, it takes a lot of control in order not to set it off. If images from home pop into your head, it will start to dial Langara. It took me about a month to learn how to not set it off." Jack stuffed it back into his pocket.
"Oh, another thing, I was wondering if there was any way that I could join an SG team. I really want to be able to contribute something to the program while I'm here." Jonas gave Jack a hopeful look.
Jack had guessed that this would be coming. He turned towards Jonas. "I would love to put you on a team, really I would. But right now..." He looked up and down the hall. Seeing that it was empty he continued in a lowered voice, "I have to start transferring people off the base. The Pentagon wants to dramatically cut back the Stargate program. Which means, less teams, and fewer missions. Although what you could do to help around here is work on that Naquadria problem. Until we are able to find an alternate power source, that appears to be the best source of energy." Jack patted him on the back and entered the elevator that was only a few feet away.
Jonas was left there standing. It took a minute or two for what Jack said to sink into his conscious mind, but by that time Jack was already gone.
Langara - Location Unknown
Avidan Udo found himself tied to a chair. He was wearing a blindfold, but at the same time he must have been under a very hot lamp because he felt like he had sweat though his house cloths. He also had the distinct feeling that he wasn't alone.
"Good you're awake." A young man circled around him, he was holding a club. He wasn't alone in the room; there were two other young men there with him.
One of the young men narrowed his eyes at Avidan as he leant against the door leading him from the room. "Professor Udo, what is your relationship to Jonas Quinn?"
"Let me go, and I'll tell you." Avidan tilted his head towards the voice.
The dark haired man with the club smacked it into Avidan's stomach. "You will answer the question without any back talk."
The youngest of the three was leaning against the wall. His face was covered in shadows. The other two weren't able to see him wince when he saw Avidan receive the blow.
Avidan gasped for breath.
"ANSWER THE QUESTION!" The dark haired young man screamed in the elderly man's face.
"It's in the public records! Jonas Quinn was my foster son! I brought him up after his parents were killed in the last war." Avidan felt like regurgitating his last meal. He didn't even want to say what he said, he wanted to protect Jonas, but what he said was true it was in the public records anyone could find out if they just looked.
The youngest of the three spoke up. "What is your current relationship with him?" He voice was softer then the other two.
"He's letting me apartment sit for him while he is away. I don't know where he is, if that's what you're trying to find out. Security personal came to the apartment and escorted him to some place. I have no idea where. I just packed his things for him and some one came and picked them up. I don't know where they took them. I don't even know why they took him..." Avidan hung his head forward. It was the truth; he had no idea about what was going on.
The dark haired man punched him across the face. "No more your lies! Where is Jonas Quinn being kept?"
Avidan hung his head forward, "I told you everything that I know..."
The dark haired man was about to strike him with the club when the blond haired young man stopped him by grapping a hold of his wrist.
"...Even if I did know. Do you think I would honestly tell you? Jonas is like a son to me, I lost my entire family during the war! I refuse to let anything bad happen to him!"
The dark haired man pulled his wrist away from the blond haired man's hand. He stepped forward to hit Avidan once more.
"I think he's telling the truth." The youngest of the three looked over to the other two.
"I agree. Beating him up will not find Jonas Quinn." The blond haired man added that in.
The dark haired man narrowed his eyes, and then lowered his club. "We'll see if he's changed his mind after a day or so sitting here." He walked out of the room to report to his boss.
The Following Day - SGC - General Jack O'Neill's Office
Dr. Katrina Viola knocked on Jack's door. In her hand was a rather thick file.
Jack was on the phone; he motioned for her to enter into his office.
Kat walked in and sat down. She waited several moments while Jack finished his conversation.
Jack hung up the phone. "What can I do for you, Dr. Viola?"
"Well, Sir. I've been going over Mr. Quinn's file, and have found some rather interesting things." She placed the file down in front of her.
"Such as...?" Jack didn't want to waist too much time talking about things, which he hardly understood.
"I believe that when Nirrti tinkered with his genetics, she activated several of his recessive Ancient Genes." She decided to continue on as quickly as possible. "In most cases such as my self, there is about only one Ancient Gene that can be found. This Gene is a specific marker that enables the person to use Ancient technology. For what reason the Ancients altered their DNA to include it, I'm not sure."
"Hold up, you said that they altered their DNA to include it?" This was the first time Jack had heard of this. He sat straight up.
"Yes, when going over the autopsy results of Ayiana. I looked at her DNA to see if she has the Ancient Gene marker since I found it in your DNA, my DNA, and Jonas's DNA." She paused to see if he would say anything, and when he remained silent she continued. "There is no Ancient Gene marker in her DNA structure. Although I was able to isolate several of Jonas's genes to being the same as hers, especially in the mitochondrial DNA."
"Meaning... that Jonas is some how related to Ayiana?" Jack raised a brow.
"Yes, as I am as well, and so are you. Since the Atlantis expedition left, my team has been running tests on the different DNA samples left by them to see how they are all connected." Kat sighed seeing the blank expression on Jack's face.
"So you and I and Jonas are all related?" Jack raised a brow.
"I know that it sounds preposterous but yes, millions of years ago, Ayiana must had have a child, and that child left with the other Ancients. Kyna could even confirm that after her people returned from Atlantis that there were those who occasionally broke off form the core group to form their own clans. We just happen to be apart of the same one, as are several others from the Atlantis expedition." Kat found this all to be rather exciting. She wanted to run more tests first before finalizing her findings, but since they related to Jonas she thought that she should at least mention what she was working on.
"You mentioned something about Nirrti and her tinkering with Jonas's genetics." Jack sat back in his chair.
"Right! She activated a gene that caused him to have the premonitions. And, I've noticed that his DNA is a bit different then normal human DNA. When comparing it to Kyna's and Ayiana's DNA, I found several similar traits. Some of these traits are present in your DNA and that of Major Sheppard's. However there are some that are not found in the others but in the Ancients." She stopped herself she knew that she was confusing him.
"Just give me the bottom line, Dr. Viola." Jack found talk about Ancient DNA to be exhausting, he yawned in response.
"Well, Jonas, Major Sheppard, and yourself are the closest genetically that we have found to the Ancients. At the same time each of you have unique characteristics that make you special." Dr. Viola smiled.
"Cool." Jack placed his hands on the desk. "I look forward to reading your report once you have finished your research." He nodded, "Dismissed." He stood and walked out into the Briefing Room. Hearing all that talk about genetics was giving him a headache.
The Next Day - Jonas Quinn's Office
Jonas was standing at the chalkboard with his knuckles pressed into his sides. He had made several corrections to the Naquadria equation by switching pieces of it around. The corrected piece, given to him by Kyna, was written in another color. On another board were the different pieces of the equation written out so that he could see each one by itself. He hoped that he had broken down the equation correctly, but he just could not be sure.
Sam poked her head into the office. "Hey Jonas! Home sick yet?" She noticed him concentrating on the boards, so she slightly winced thinking that she had bothered him.
Jonas looked over his shoulder at her and gave her a half smile. "It's in the wrong order..."
"In the wrong order?" Her brows came together as she studied what he was doing, she pointed to the part of the equation that was written in another color. "What's that?"
"That's the only piece that's in the right spot..." Jonas scratched the back of his head; he had been at this the last few days rearranging the calculations in his mind over and over again.
Sam smirked, "you've been talking to Kyna. She's always great for pointing something out and then never explaining why or what to do with it." Sam shook her head, she knew that Kyna didn't want everyone to rely on her for the answers to all of their problems, and that's why she let them figure things out for themselves.
Jonas grinned, "Yeah..." he had missed her the last couple of days. When he asked Daniel what happened to her, he just said that she was sent off world at the last minute and should be back soon.
Sam looked back at the equation; there were many pieces with thousands if not millions of possible combinations. She turned to look back at Jonas. "We could make a computer program that could test out all the possible combinations of the equation after inputting where that piece should be."
"We can do that?" Jonas seemed doubtful. He would have thought that they had tried that already. "What if they are broken down in the wrong spots of the different pieces or even need to be broken down further?"
Sam shrugged, "well if anything we could always just give it a try, perhaps several more pieces will fall into place, and then you can figure out the rest manually."
Jonas smiled, "Thanks Sam! I think that will be a big help."
"No problem." She looked over at the board again, "General O'Neill said that we dial Langara, and check up on their progress on what's going on over there."
"Really? Sounds great, when can we do that?" Jonas placed his piece of chalk down.
"Is now a good time?" Sam asked.
"Yeah, sure." Jonas whipped his hands on his pants before leaving the room.
Ten Minutes Later - Control Room
Walter was sitting at his post as the last of seven chevrons locked into place.
Sam was seated in the chair next to him. Normally they would be running a diagnostic during this time of day, but since there was no one scheduled to report in for a few hours, they decided to check up on the Langaran situation.
Jonas stood a couple of feet away from them as he watched the wormhole become established.
"Langara Stargate Command, this is St. Walter Harriman of the SGC on Earth. Is First Minister Dreylock or Officer Svatos available?" Walter looked back at Jonas and then towards the gate as they waited for a response.
"SGC, we will patch you in directly with First Min..."
The transmission was cut as the event horizon destabilized and then was brought up again only to shut down once more. It reestablished itself again as if nothing had happened.
"..ice. Please hold." The Langaran transmission ended, but the wormhole remained.
Sam and Walter exchanged looks, "what just happened?"
"I'm not sure, Sir. We'll have to shut down the gate to run a full diagnostic." Walter looked at her and then at Jonas.
Jonas's brows came together, "that's never happened before?"
"No, it hasn't." Sam turned towards the computer and typed in several commands, "From what I can tell with the Gate on, everything is running normal..."
"SGC, this is First Minister Dreylock. How can I be of assistance?" Her voice had a controlled calm tone to it.
Walter motioned for Jonas to speak into the microphone as he got up to see if he could find out what happened from the other equipment.
Jonas sat in Walter's chair. "First Minister Dreylock, this is Jonas Quinn. We were dialing in to find out the status of the investigation."
There was silence for a moment. "Not very good, I'm afraid. Vin Eremal is no longer with us."
Jonas's eyes widened, "can you explain what happened?"
"I'm sorry but I can not at present. I should not even be speaking of this matter over the radio." She paused, "I have a meeting in five minutes, so I can not talk for much longer. Although there is something that you should know." She paused again, "Professor Udo is missing. He never showed up to his last three classes. We are currently investing his disappearance."
Jonas was extremely alarmed; "he disappeared? I have to help you find him!" Jonas stood.
"I'm sorry, Jonas Quinn, but if you come though that gate, we will have to detain you in solitary confinement. We do not want to risk your life as well, and besides that we don't know if Professor Udo has some part in what is happening over here."
The wormhole dissipated and the transmission ended.
Sam and Walter had been too busy to listen in on their conversation. Walter had been on the phone calling Siler and General O'Neill to the control room. Sam had been checking the breakers along the back wall.
Master Sergeant Siler entered the Control followed by Jack. They went over to Walter and Sam to find out what was going on.
Jonas was in a daze; Avidan was missing... He felt terrible, because he knew that it was his fault.
"Excuse me, Sir." Walter was trying to get Jonas's attention.
Jonas snapped out of it. "Yes? Sorry about that..." He stood and started to walk across the control room to leave.
Sam looked up from what she was doing, "hold on, Sir." She nodded to Jack and then Siler as she had just pressed play to run the security tape from a few moments ago. She quickly crossed the room and stopped Jonas.
"Hey are you okay?" She looked at him with concern.
"No, I'm not. Avidan is missing, and Vin Eremal is dead." Jonas steadied himself by placing his hand on the wall.
"Jonas, I'm sorry." She tried to think for a moment, "Do you think the incidences are connected?"
"I don't know. Although I'm afraid of what's become of him. Sam I left him in my apartment, what if they broke in to try to kill me, and decided to kill him instead?" He shook his head in disbelief. If anything happened to him, he would never forgive himself.
"I wish that there was something that we could do to help." Sam gave him a remorseful look.
"I do too." He shook his head as he tried to make sense of it all.
Meanwhile on Langara
Professor Udo, lay on a tiny cot in an underground cell. He had been interrogated over and over again, until he could not hold his head up by himself anymore. He still had no idea about where he was or why he was there. The only thing he knew was that they wanted Jonas; for what purpose he wasn't exactly sure yet.
The youngest of the three interrogators from the first interrogation walked nonchalantly into the underground brig. He passed several of their men and nodded to them. He then took a sharp turn to the right when he saw that no one was watching him.
Avidan heard the hall doorway open. He then sat up as he took shallow breaths to calm his nerves.
The young man made his way over to Avidan's cell, and unlocked it. He stepped into it and crouched down next to Avidan.
Avidan studied the young man's face. He had light brown hair and warm brown eyes.
"Please don't be alarmed," the young man spoke in a voice no louder then a whisper. He took out his canteen, and a sandwich from his pocket. "It's not much but at least it's something." He handed them to Avidan.
Avidan couldn't help but be confused and suspicious at the same time.
The young man walked to the edge of the cell to keep watch as the elderly man ate.
Avidan decided to just accept what he gave him since he was so hungry and thirsty. After taking a long drink, he asked, "why are you helping me?"
"Because I don't think what they are doing to you is right." He didn't want to divulge the fact that he was a member of the Joint International Security Force, and that he was undercover.
Avidan took note that the young man said 'they'. He quickly engulfed the food and the rest of the water. "Thank you. Though the whole situation isn't right."
The young man quickly took the canteen from him and exited the cell. He locked it and walked down the hall without showing any sign of a response to what Avidan said.
The Following Day - Orilla, The New Asgard Home World
For the past several days, Kyna's mind was connected to The Jacob Carter's Mainframe. Every so often Thor would have her rest, eat, and to do other normal human functions. This way she wouldn't be overwhelmed again like she was the past week.
Thor transported all three of them directly to the High Council Chamber. Both Thor and Heimdall were in their appropriate seats.
Freyr bowed his head, "you are the Ancient?" The Asgard High Council all turned towards her.
Kyna thought to herself that Jack would say, 'the last time I checked, yeah.' The thought made her smile, so she simply bowed her head and said, "I am."
"You are the last of your kind?" Penegal asked.
"As far as I know, I am." She said so in a voice no louder then a whisper. She wondered why they were asking.
"How did you come by the knowledge which you posses?" Freyr tilted his head.
Kyna sighed, "I had a Repository of Knowledge downloaded into my mind by accident."
The Asgard started to speak to each other in their language, but Kyna understood what they were saying anyway.
"I finished the project." Kyna said loud enough to echo over their voices.
That silenced the Asgard. Freyr's tilted his head to the opposite side, "you have?"
"I have, and if you would be so kind as to beam us to the starboard cargo bay on the Jacob Carter you will be able to see it for yourself." She gave them a proud smile.
Freyr did just that. All the Asgard that were present were beamed to The Jacob Carter's starboard cargo bay. What they found was that the room had twenty-five containers along one wall and twenty-five containers along another one. On the far side of the cargo bay were five similar but much larger containers.
Thor blinked he had no idea that she had created all of this while on board.
Heimdall walked over to one of the containers, and examined it. "There appears to be nothing in here." He looked back at Kyna.
Kyna give him a half smile. "Actually, it's quite ironic that you picked that particular container Heimdall."
Freyr walked over to the container that Heimdall was inspecting. "Why do you say that, Kyna Dior?"
"Well, because Heimdall's daughter is in there." She grinned, "I used the DNA of fifty Asgard to come up with genetic codes for a new generation of Asgard that lack genetic manipulation. The containers on the opposite wall hold males, while the ones on your wall hold females. They will be able to reproduce though mitosis, and ensure that the Asgard will have a future. Although it will take about ten months for them to incubate; meanwhile you can do some research on how to be parents."
"Hmmm..." Heimdall studied the container. "Was only my DNA used to make her?"
"Yes... they are sort of like clones, but not really. It's hard to explain... although they are different enough that when they are fully grown, in the future, they will be relatively different then you are now. Besides that you have a thousand years of experience and memories that have shaped who you are. They don't. You will have to teach them your culture and values. It won't be easy."
Penegal walked over to the larger containers against the far wall.
Thor blinked, "there has not been an Asgard child in a thousand years."
Kyna nodded, "I anticipated that and downloaded from my mind into your computer the information that you will need. However, you cannot expect to know everything while raising them. I'm sure you will learn from your mistakes and successes."
"We have observed the parenting skills of humans for a thousand years. Hopefully our research will help as well." Thor started to look for his child. Below each case was a copy of the genetic sequence that was used to make the fetus along with the name of the Asgard that was used as the model.
Kyna pointed to the first container on the male side.
Thor nodded and walked over to it.
Penegal looked back at her, "what is in these?"
Kyna walked over to the container in question and pressed a button on the side. The screen moved down to expose a body. "This is the new and improved clone body. Their life spans are three times as long as the current model, and they aren't as frail. I only had the computer make five of them." She wet her lips; all this talking had dried them out. "They look a little bit different, because I was trying to make them appear more like how the children will look as adults."
"There are far more Asgard then five..." Penegal looked up at her.
"I know, everything that you need to know to make more of them are in The Jacob Carter's computer, as is everything that I did in order to make the children." She took a deep breath, "In fact in another seven years another twenty five males and twenty five females will be formed in the incubation tubes, and another seven years after that the same amount will be made again until the entire Asgard population has been doubled. Each Asgard will have a child copy of themselves in a child."
Heimdall left the incubation tube to join Kyna and Penegal. Other Asgard were looking at the new clone model as well. "Why seven years? Hmm?"
"I thought that I would give you some time in-between to learn how to adapt to the children." She tilted her head towards him and smiled, "Besides, fifty babies will we be enough for you to handle right now. I know your still rebuilding your society."
Meanwhile - Langara - Location Unknown
A man sat at his desk turned away from the door. The lighting in the room was rather dim. It was so dim in there that shadows covered everything including the man's face.
There was a knock on the door. After a moment, the blond male from Avidan's first interrogation popped his head into the room. "Sir?"
"What is it?" He sounded annoyed.
"I thought that you would like to be updated on our assignment." Behind him the hall way was crowded with people.
"Come in, and shut the door behind you." He growled.
He did just that and then he walked up to the desk.
"What have you learned?"
"Actually... nothing Sir. Our guest, does not know anything more then we do."
The man behind the desk snorted. "Eliminate him."
The young man's eyes widened. It was one thing to eliminate the others, but he actually liked Professor Udo. His class was very interesting. "Sir, couldn't we use him a bait?"
"Explain."
"Well, he considers him" meaning Jonas Quinn, "as family. I'm sure the feeling is mutual. He will come out of hiding to save his life. I'm positive of this, Sir."
There was silence for several moments, "come up with a plan."
"Yes, Sir." The young man left the room.
Four Days Later - General Jack O'Neill's Office - SGC
"No, you can't go to that planet Daniel, the MALP indicated that the area was unstable. I won't have you risking your life like that." Jack crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"Jack, have you been listening to what I've been saying? There are very old ruins there that might help us figure out what happened to the Furlings. We need to gather that information before the area continues to destabilize." Daniel was speaking with his hands.
A white light appeared, leaving Kyna seated in the chair next to Daniel. She beamed them a smile, her hair was down with her spirals framing her face over her shoulders. "Hi!"
They both turned towards her, Jack spoke up first. "My are you looking chipper."
Kyna shrugged, "I finished my work with the Asgard, of course I'm going to look chipper." She was still smiling.
Daniel tilted his head down, his glasses slid down his nose. "You finished your work? That's amazing, what did you actually do?"
"Well, let's just say that in about ten months you should be congratulating Thor on becoming a father." She extended her hands in front of her as she stretched. Then she placed them on her knees.
Daniel blinked, "I'm not even going to ask how."
Jack leaned forward, and smiled, "So, what are we getting?"
Kyna's face fell, "We're not getting anything."
"Why not?" Jack sounded disappointed. "Did you try to negotiate for something, Asgard Weapons, shielding, weapons, hyper engines, weapons? Anything?"
"Well, I'm guessing that I'll get a ship named after me, but besides that there were no negotiations about earth getting anything. What I did was out of debt from my Ancestors to the Asgard for protecting the human race under the Protective Planets Treaty." She gave Jack her rare; we're going to drop this subject, stare.
Daniel looked between the two of them several times.
Sam knocked on the door, and stuck her head in. She let go of the door allowing it to swing open. She blinked several times, "wow, you can cut the tension in here with a knife."
Jack broke the stare, and looked over to him, "how can we help you Carter?"
Kyna and Daniel looked at Sam as well.
"Well, I was so excited that I had to come down here and get you myself." Sam smiled.
Less then Five Minutes Later - Jonas Quinn's Office
Sam, Daniel, Jack, and Kyna made their way down to Jonas's Office. Sam walked up to him and started to look over the equation on the board. Jack and Daniel were standing several feet away while Kyna stood behind them in front of Jonas's desk. She was still able to see the board from where she stood. She too went over the calculations in her head.
"I think that's it!" Jonas was grinning from ear to ear. He wrote the last few variables on the board.
"I think you're right!" Sam beamed a smile. She glanced back at Kyna, who was still looking over the calculations.
"So, this is the Naquadria equation?" Daniel asked.
"Yes, Daniel, can't you see it. Over there," Jack pointed to the board. "And that squiggle there..."
Daniel rolled his eyes as he put his hands on his hips.
Jonas's smile fell a bit. He was so relived that he had finally figured it out, though he couldn't have done it without Kyna and Sam's help. Sam's program brought him even close to the equation. But if it had not been for that keystone variable, he wouldn't have gotten this far. He wished that he could share the moment with her.
"Congratulations Jonas, you did it!" Kyna had just finished checking over the problem. She beamed him a smile as she walked several steps to stand in front of him to give him a hug.
Jonas was a bit surprised at first when she went to hug him. He held her in his arms, not wanting to let go. "I'm so glad that you're here."
Jack and Daniel exchanged looks. Jack didn't know that they had been introduced.
Kyna continued to smile as she took a step back, "I'm happy that you've finished it so quickly, great job Jonas!"
"Oh! Sam helped! She designed a computer program that fit several more pieces together. After that it was easy to see where my mistakes were." He smiled at Sam and then back at Kyna.
Sam noticed the look that Jack and Daniel exchanged, "Hey, I got an idea! Why don't we go out to celebrate?" She personally had not seen anything wrong with Kyna hugging Jonas. It wasn't like they were air force.
Jack looked at Sam, "Okay."
The Following Day - Level 25 - Jonas Quinn's Quarters
Kyna had stopped by Jonas's office that morning, but he wasn't there. So, she decided to go down to his quarters. She knocked on his door to see if he was there.
Jonas had stayed up late last night thinking about many different things. His mind just couldn't shut down, however he did finally get some rest some time after three in the morning. Because of this he had over slept. Currently he was in the middle of shaving when he heard a knock on the door. He quickly finished up, and grabbed a towel as he went to the door.
Kyna was about to leave. She thought that perhaps he was somewhere else when the door opened. "Hi Jonas!" Her hands were behind her back. "I hope I'm not disturbing you."
His eyes were wide as he whipped off the shaving cream that he missed. He was wearing a t-shirt and a pair of pajama pants that he had gotten when he was apart of SG1. "Oh, no you're not. I was just shaving, that's all."
Kyna held the tin that was behind her back with one hand and reached up to touch his face with the other. She tilted her head and smiled as she cupped the side of his face. "Smooth as silk." She dropped her hand and placed it back behind her back.
"Oh... well I don't know about that..." Jonas gave her a bashful look. He noticed that she was holding something behind her. "What's that?"
"This is for you!" She held the tin out to him, as she blushed. "I baked you cookies in honor of your achievement! I hope you like them. I wasn't sure what your favorite type was, so I just made chocolate chip."
Jonas took the tin from her, "I didn't have a favorite, but now chocolate chip is it." He smiled down at her, "why don't you come in, we'll eat them together?"
"Sure!" Kyna clasped her hands together as she walked past him into the lounge area of his quarters. "Oh! You're watching the Weather Channel! I love the Weather Channel!" She sat on the couch.
Jonas pushed the door close, and then sat next to her. "You watch this?"
"Mmhmm... for two hours a day. It doesn't scare me, or make me hungry, or confuse me. I just don't understand the shows on the other stations.... Though I do watch the channels with the home improvement and decorating stuff on them. That's what I like to have on for the other two hours that I have to watch TV." She turned towards him and leaned her head against the back of the couch as she spoke.
"I agree with you about the other channels. Jack suggested to me to watch TV to learn about American culture, but the only one that I find the most interesting is this one. We have nothing like it where I'm from."
Half Hour Later - Dr. Daniel Jackson's Office
Jack poked his head into the office, "Daniel, have you seen Jonas?"
Daniel was in the middle of translating something. He looked up at Jack, "can't say that I have. Did you check Sam's Office?"
"Yeah, she hasn't seen him either, besides that she's busy on figuring out how to make a Naquadria generator. I think Jonas should help her out, don't you?" Jack was kind of annoyed that Jonas wasn't in his office. He had some paperwork that he wanted him to fill out.
Daniel tapped his pencil several times on his pad. "Did you try his quarters?"
"Can't say that I have, thanks." Jack left and walked down to the elevator and then went to level twenty-five.
Upon reaching Jonas's room, Jack knocked on the door, but since it wasn't closed the proper way it started to swing open. "Jonas, oh Jonas?" Jack blinked seeing the scene before him.
Jonas and Kyna were sitting on the couch eating the cookies and watching the Weather Channel. Jonas had one arm around her shoulders, and she was leaning against him. They hadn't noticed Jack. "Rain tomorrow," Jonas observed he was still in his pajamas.
"Yeah, I need to buy an umbrella." Kyna said as she munched on a cookie.
Jack walked in front of the television. He waved his hand, "Hey you two... um Jonas, Sam needs your help with the Naquadria generator and I need you to fill out some paper work."
Kyna sat up seeing Jack. She held out her hand towards him, "Cookie?" She sensed that he was upset with them.
"Thanks..." Jack took the cookie, and took a bite. "and you need to work on finding a way to explain that shield technology." He walked out into the hall as he finished the cookie. He wondered where they got them from, they were really good.
Kyna gave Jonas a half smile, "sorry about that. Come over for dinner?" She whispered. She felt bad for being gone for over a week.
"Sure, what time?" Jonas stood as he whispered back; he noticed that Jack was still standing by the door.
"Seven?" She stood as well as she placed the lid on the tin.
Jonas nodded and walked her to the door.
Kyna turned and handed him the tin before leaving. "Bye Jonas," She nodded towards Jack, "General O'Neill." She knew that Jonas didn't know that she was on a first name bases with Jack. She then walked down the hall and to the elevator.
Jonas watched her leave. It had been nice having someone else there that shared a lot of his interests.
Jack knew that he had to put a stop to this thing before it got out of hand. "A word with you?" He motioned for Jonas to go back into his quarters.
"Sure," Jones went back into the room, and placed the tin down on the table. "What's up?" He crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"What's going on between the two of you?" Jack asked in a very serious tone.
Jonas was pretty shocked that Jack would even ask him something like that. "Why do you want to know?" His brows came together.
"Because I am concerned." Jack shifted his weight.
"We're friends, that's all." Jonas felt uncomfortable.
"Friends..." Jack didn't believe him. He started to walk towards the door, when a thought hit him. He turned towards Jonas. "You know she's not well, right?"
Jonas looked concerned, "No I didn't, what do you mean by not well?"
"Well, she's a bit... nuts, crazy, wacko, ... basically, she thinks that she's an Ancient. She's one of those types of geniuses that we need to get the job done, but don't trust with a butter knife; if you get what I mean?" Jack hated lying to Jonas like this. But he couldn't risk something happening between the two of them, which could cause Kyna to be distracted. That or she may insist on leaving the SGC all together and go to Langara permanently.
Jonas shook his head, "I don't believe that..." He stared at the ground.
"Why do you think that we provide her with a ride home... we don't trust her to drive anywhere. And I bet if you ask anyone on the base about her besides SG1 and Dr. Viola, they wouldn't know whom you were talking about. We don't even allow her to have her name on her door because of this. Viola even has to run tests on her every week to make sure that she's not going to flip out or something like that." Jack shifted his eyes everywhere but at Jonas.
Jonas looked up at him, he was absolutely crushed, "what do you suggest I do?"
"Back off from her. Don't ignore her, but at the same time don't lead her on. Understand?" Jack looked towards Jonas but just past him.
"I think I do..." Jonas rubbed his eyes with his hand. He had to reevaluate his feelings for her.
Around 1900 Hours - Outside of Kyna Dior's House
He raised his binoculars again as he looked at the house. After work he had followed her home. He thought that it was a bit odd that she would have a driver, but who knows perhaps she has money in the bank.
The car was parked just inside of the undergrowth of the forest facing out towards the road. Whenever a car went by he would duck so that if seen the car would appear to be empty.
For the last two weeks he patiently waited for her to make a mistake, to leave her protective bubble and find herself alone on the outside. This had to happen eventually, although he was running out of time. He received his transfer orders from the Pentagon that morning. The assignment was worse then he thought. Siberia... he was going to go to Russia with three other scientists to help them understand the different technology that they had brought back though the Stargate. The assignment was worse then Antarctica. At least there he would still be in the company of mostly Americans, but in Russia he wouldn't. He hated their food, not to mention that he wasn't too fond of their language. He felt that his Russian was horrible, but it was good enough to get him A's while in college.
He watched the seemly hidden machine that was a few hundred yards from the road. It provided the energy to make the shield appear on that side of the property. All he had to do was figure out a way to destroy it. He had tried once already, but it was protected by shield. The only way to destroy it was by doing it from the inside of the shield. He would wait another two hours before giving up for the night.
Inside the house, Kyna was in the kitchen making dinner. She was singing one of her favorite Ancient songs that were translated into English. She loved to sing just as much as she loved to paint and dance. She was wearing a dark blue halter dress that she had bought the last time she went shopping.
Jonas had ringed in several moments ago. He had a difficult time coming up the steps, and now he was standing halfway in-between the secret pantry door. He tried to hear what she was singing, but the hum from the refrigerators made it hard to understand. He wondered if what Jack told him was true. In all the time he had spent with her, he had never seen her act strangely, but at the same time she was a bit different then everyone else. He rubbed his head, he couldn't make sense of it, and so he decided to confront her.
He entered the pantry and then the kitchen. "Hey, everything smells great!" He called out, as his eyes scanned the room for her.
Kyna reentered the kitchen from the hallway. She held a bright smile on her lips. "Hi Jonas! Thank you. I'm sorry that I don't have a dinning room set yet, so I hope the kitchen table will do." She walked over to the counter and picked up the salad. "Why don't you go wash your hands, there's a bathroom right down the hall to the left."
Jonas's heart rate speed up. This was going to be harder then he thought. Not only did the meal smell wonderful, but also she looked radiant. He simply nodded as he walked to the bathroom to wash his hands. He took off his Family Insignia Ring from his middle finger and placed it on the soap dish as he washed his hands. Jonas wondered how anyone that smart and beautiful could be crazy.
He dried off his hands and exited the bathroom. When he got to the kitchen he watched her finish putting out the food. "Kyna..."
She stopped what she was doing. Sensing something was wrong, she turned to him with concern in her eyes, but a smile on her lips. "Yes Jonas, please don't tell me that you're a vegetarian."
He pressed his lips together, "no, I'm not a vegetarian. I just need to ask you a few things, that's all."
Kyna wondered what this was about, "All right..."
"After you left this morning Jack and I had a little talk. He told me that you are an Ancient." He lied, but he wanted to see her response.
Kyna's eyes widened, "He told you that! He promised that was confidential and that I had to be present if he informed anyone else of that. Really... I'm going to have to speak to him about that..." She was annoyed that he told Jonas. She didn't care if he told other people, but Jonas was special. She wanted to be the one to tell him that.
"So, you believe that you're an Ancient." Jonas didn't want to ask her any of the other questions. He now knew that Jack was telling him the truth... she was crazy.
"Just as much as you believe that you're Kelownan." She took a deep breath. "Perhaps this is a good thing, I've been wondering how and when I was going to tell you. It's not something that you bring up in a normal conversation. Though I am curious to the reason why Jack told you."
Jonas held a sad look in his eyes, "to prove a point to me, Kyna. He actually told me that you're not well, and that you believed that you're an Ancient."
"What are you saying?" She held her hand to her heart.
Jonas shook his head, "I had to find out for myself if he was right, and obviously he was. Kyna you're not an Ancient, you may have the Ancient gene and be really intelligent, but that doesn't make you an Ancient."
Her eyes widened, she was starting to understand what was going on. "Jonas, I really am an Ancient. I can prove it to you." She started to cross the room to pick up a knife.
Jonas started to walk towards the pantry door. "It' doesn't matter. Good bye, Kyna."
"Wait! Jonas please, let me just show you!" She changed directions and reached out to stop him from leaving. There were tears in her eyes.
Jonas stopped, and then shook his head before disappearing though the doorway.
Kyna's breathing increased. She couldn't believe the rage that she was feeling. How could he say such a thing! How could Jack betray her like that! She balled her fists, she had never really felt angry before, but there is a first time for everything.
Her anger didn't sit inside of her; it rushed out in all directions causing the house to shake, along with the trees in the woods beyond it. The telekinetic shock wave was so powerful that a branch off one of the trees fell right onto the machine that controlled the shield. While inside it shook the table so badly that the glasses either broke in their places or fell off the table.
On the steps in the cellar, Jonas felt the shock wave as well. He paused for a moment, not knowing what to do.
Outside, the man in the car saw the machine break though his binoculars. The shield dropped around the property. He quickly put on his gloves and started the car. Within less then a moment he was down the paved driveway.
Kyna looked around, she was a bit confused by what just happened. She didn't have much time to think about it when she heard the doorbell ring. Shaking her head she wondered who that could be. She crossed the room and answered the door.
She blinked several times, "Dr. Thatcher? What are you doing here?"
Thatcher moved passed her and into the house, "I was driving by when the earthquake hit, I ran my car off the side of the road, I was wondering if I could use your phone."
Kyna closed the door and tilted her head, and then she went to look out the window that had the best view of the road to see where his car was.
Thatcher quickly took out his Zat, and fired it at her. "Bitch!" He gave her a swift kick to the ribs after she fell to the ground. "I'm going to Siberia because of you!" He kicked her again. He took a step away from her and raised the Zat again, but then stopped. "No, I'm going to make you suffer, like I'm going to have to suffer living in that hell hole!" He grabbed her by her hair and started to drag her into the kitchen.
In the cellar, Jonas was just about done setting up the wall council for the rings, when he realized that he left his Family Insignia Ring in the bathroom upstairs. He turned and jogged up the cellar steps and into the pantry.
After dropping her in the middle of the kitchen floor. Thatcher placed his Zat back into his pocket as he picked up a large knife. He figured that he could always disintegrate the mess he was going to make along with the girl's body. "You know everything was just fine until you showed up!" He kicked her once more. He then started to study the knife. "I know, one cut for every day that I'm going to have rot in Siberia." He crouch down and slit her cheek.
Jonas was just coming though the door when he saw him slash her face like that. He ran several steps to tackle him. There was no time to think; he just acted.
The men fought for control over the knife. Thatcher was so shocked that he didn't care what happened now. He kicked; he kneed, and threw his body at Jonas in order to keep hold of the knife.
Jonas blocked Thatcher's pitiful moves and would have gained control of the knife, but as he stepped back he slipped on some of the broken glass.
Thatcher went down with him. He felt the knife plunge into Jonas's abdomen. He got up and pulled the knife out and turned towards Kyna. She wasn't there.
With a quick wave of her hands, Thatcher collapsed to the floor. The knife fell out of his hands.
Kyna quickly moved over to the wounded Jonas. She placed one hand over his head and another one over his wound.
Jonas was going into shock. His abdomen was screaming in agony as the seconds that went by felt like years. The excruciating pain that he felt disappeared quickly as the wound healed itself with Kyna's help.
Kyna stood and walked over to her portable telephone. She dialed Sam's cell phone number. "Hi Sam, I need your help."
Jonas was going through a different type of shock now. The first kind had been physical and was no longer present. Now it was emotional. He slowly stood up, his eyes never leaving her face. The slash slowly disappeared as she talked on the phone.
He looked at the ground and winced seeing the small puddle of blood that had formed from his wound. His eyes then drifted over to Thatcher. The man appeared to be completely unconscious. Jonas left the kitchen and went into the bathroom. He lifted up his shirt, and examined his stomach. There wasn't even a scar, but there was certainly blood and a large hole in his shirt. After putting his shirt down and picking up his ring, he turned and went back into the kitchen. Thatcher's wrists and ankles were now bound with tie wraps. Kyna was kneeling on the floor whipping up his blood with a towel.
She took her time standing up, and she lifted her chin as she addressed him, "You should leave." Her face was void of all emotion.
"Kyna, I'm..." Jonas was cut off.
"There will be military here within the next five minutes." She looked away from him and went back to work.
Jonas watched her for a moment; then he crossed the kitchen and left though the secret pantry door.
Two Days Later - Kyna Dior's House
Kyna had been feeling pretty low after what happened. She refused to leave the house after the shield was fixed. Currently she was sleeping in her bed. It was just before dawn.
Jonas felt bad about what happened. To think that she was actually an Ancient... it explained why she refuses to tell them the answers to their problems. He was going to speak with her when she came into work the next day after the incident, but she never showed up.
He had stayed up most of the night thinking about what he would say to her as he hoped that she would come in the following day. Though some time around four in the morning he decided that he had to act first. He got up, went to her office, and then ringed over to her place.
For the next hour, Jonas cooked her breakfast. He used the different cookbooks that she had in the pantry to come up with several different items. Next, he wrote a note that said, 'I'm sorry' and then placed it on the tray.
He picked up the tray and went through the house towards the steps. Upon reaching the upper level he went in the direction of the one room he had not looked in. He took a deep breath; the door was slightly ajar.
Upon entering her room, he waited for his eyes to adjust to the lack of light. He placed the tray down on the empty bed stand and then he slowly backed away. He left her room and went down the hall.
The smell of the food reached her nose. Kyna was curled up on her side hugging a pillow. Her eyes fluttered open, and she quickly sat up. Her eyes were already adjusted to the darkness. She saw the tray of food, and then threw the covers off.
Kyna ran out of her room and then down the hall. She saw Jonas at the bottom of the stairs. "Jonas wait!"
Jonas turned and looked up at her. She was wearing a violet silk baby doll nightgown, although he really didn't notice what she was wearing at this point.
Kyna rushed down the steps and threw her arms around him.
At first Jonas was a bit surprised, but then he just wrapped his arms around her as she cried into his chest. He kissed the top of her head, "I'm so sorry, Kyna." He then rested his check on her head as he gently rubbed her back.
After crying for several moments, she looked up into his eyes, "oh Jonas, couldn't we start over? I'm sorry too for not telling you what I was right away."
Jonas cupped the side of her face in his hand. He whipped away her tears with his thumb. "If that's what you want. Although I wouldn't want you to knock me out for being a stranger in your home." He gave her a warm smile.
She closed her eyes as he cupped the side of her face the last of her tears escaped her eyes. Then she opened her them and smiled, "I wouldn't do that to you."
He took her hands into his, "how about instead of starting over, we could just be honest with each other about everything."
"I have a lot to tell you... well it's not really that much, but I hope it will explain a lot about me." She held a hopeful look in her eyes.
"You're going to tell me everything? Even the classified stuff?" Jonas brushed several locks of her hair from the side of her face.
"Even the classified stuff." She reached up and cupped the side of his face in her hand. She then took his hand and turned to go up the steps. "That breakfast is getting cold, come and eat it with me?" Kyna looked back down at him as she climbed several steps.
Jonas looked her over and gulped, he let go of her hand and took off his SGC jacket. Then placed it on her shoulders. "Why don't we eat it in the kitchen?"
Kyna wondered why he did that, but she figured that he had a good reason. "Sure, I'll just run up and get it." She disappeared up the steps.
Jonas sighed and then turned to walk back towards the kitchen. He first put the cookbooks away, and then the ingredients before he started to clean up the dishes by dipping them in the sink then putting them away.
Kyna came back down into the kitchen. She had on her bathrobe with Jonas's shirt on her shoulder. The tray was in her hands.
Jonas turned hearing her enter. He took the tray and placed it on the table. "I'm almost done." He dipped the last pan in the sanitizer and then removed it.
"What are you doing?" She walked over to him.
"I'm cleaning the dishes..." He looked back at her; his brows came together.
"I mean, how did you know to do it like that? I took that sanitizer from the Ancient city that I grew up in." She looked up at him.
"Well... I... um..." He was baffled, "saw you do it the last time we ate breakfast together?"
"I waited until after you left to clean up." She shook her head, "something's not right here."
Jonas thought for a moment, "you know it's funny, but I actually felt like I been in your library prior to when you found me in there..." He took a step back, "your name..."
"What about it?" She was extended her senses to try to feel out the situation.
"I knew it without anyone telling me it." He crossed his arms in front of his chest.
Kyna thought for a moment, "well, I could understand that. I spent some time with you while you were sick with the Viralyn."
"You did?" He wondered why this was the first that he had heard about it.
"Mmhmm. Although I don't recall anyone really saying my name around you enough times for it to sink into your subconscious." She crossed her arms in front of her chest.
"I wouldn't have known what you looked like either," he said.
"True..." She sighed.
Jonas shrugged, "I don't know. Stranger things have happened before, I guess." He rubbed his chin, "I have the Ancient gene, and perhaps it has something to do with it?"
"Possibly... at least that explains one thing." Kyna smirked.
Jonas couldn't help it; he had to smile, "what's that?"
"Well, since I met you, or at least saw you in that containment case, I've felt a connection." She shrugged and then took a fork and knife out of the draw. She went over to the table and picked up one of the plates before she started to eat.
Jonas sat across from her; he took the silverware that he had provided for her on the tray and one of dishes. "Do you feel this connection with anyone else? I'm sure that there are others that possess the same gene."
"Yes and no. I sensed it in Dr. Viola. I actually tolerate her poking and probing because of it." She shook her head, "I know it's bad of me to say that, but I just don't like the infirmary."
"That makes two of us." Jonas ate a mouth full of eggs.
"I've felt it with Jack," she said his name with a bit of annoyance in her voice, "Although it's a bit different."
"How so?" Jonas took a mouth full of eggs from Kyna's plate on to his fork.
"I'm not sure. It just might be that we've never really gotten along all that well, but that's an whole different story." She took some hash browns off of Jonas's plate. Kyna chewed for a moment, "I think I'll sneak a peek at your tests, and files. I'll see what I can find. Kat's good, but she doesn't know what to look for."
"Kat? Oh, you mean Dr. Viola? I still can't get used to Dr. Fraiser being gone. I owe her my life." Jonas frowned as he ate.
Kyna looked at him with sincerity in her eyes. "Will, you tell me about her sometime? I heard bits and pieces here and there. I don't breach the subject with Sam or Daniel because I can sense it is still hard for them to talk about her."
"I'd like that." He stared into her eyes for a moment, before they broke away to look at his watch. Then he looked back up at her. "What are we going to do about Jack?"
After taking a deep breath she said, "Nothing for right now. He doesn't know that you told me about what he said, and I don't think it will help the situation to go to his office and shout at him. Even though I would like to do so." She grinned. "No, I'll just have to accidentally show you what I am in front of him. This way it can't be denied."
Jonas nodded slowly as he chewed on his food. "I wonder why he lied to me like that, it's not like I'm going to carry you off to Kelowna with me."
"Oh, no they would never allow that. Though I will miss you when you go back." She did her best not to look overly upset because she didn't want to make him feel bad.
"I'll miss you as well." He reached over and cupped the side of her face in his hand.
Kyna leaned into it and closed her eyes for a moment before opening them again when he pulled his hand away. "It's getting late..."
"I know." He reluctantly stood.
She stood as well, and gave him a hug before he disappeared though the pantry door.
Meanwhile - Langara - Location Unknown
The dark haired young man from Professor Udo's interrogation made his way down to his boss's door. He knocked on it twice, then paused, then knocked on it three more times.
"Enter."
He walked into the room to find his boss standing at the window looking out at the street. "Report."
The young man closed the door behind him and then walked several feet into the room. "Our terms have been sent to the Joint International Security Force."
"Have they responded yet?"
"They said that it will take some time to locate him, since he is not on Langara." He crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"Bah! Where did they send him, Earth?" He sounded annoyed.
"That would be my guess, Sir." The dark haired young man sneered.
"Jonas Quinn is the worst traitor in the history of Kelowna." If he were outside he would have spat.
"Agreed, sir." He couldn't wait to see him dead. He had missed out in killing the other two. The boss, to demonstrate that he was serious, killed Lucia Tarthus himself. Vin Eremal was finished off by one of their operatives, while Quinn... he hoped to slit his throat.
The boss turned towards the young man. "Anything else?"
He straitened up, "Yes sir, I believe we have a traitor in our midst. I intercepted a radio conversation. I'm in the process of finding out who it is."
The boss loosened his tie. "Find out who it is and take them out. I don't care how you do it, just make sure it doesn't get traced back to me." He turned back towards the window.
An Hour Later - SGC
After Kyna had come into work, she headed down to the infirmary. She knew that they would want to run tests on her after the incident that happened two days ago. No one had been sent to get her yet, but she knew it was coming. If she yawned the wrong way they wanted to run tests on her. They had pumped her system with so many vaccinations in the last several months that they were now running weekly tests on her immune system to make sure that her natural healing abilities didn't eliminate her new antibodies. They also seemed to be interested in her psychological status. When ever anything stressful happened they ran tests on her too. She was sure that they would give her a full physical to see if there were any changes in her body chemistry.
Her first stop was her office to take off her coat. Then she passed Jonas's office on her way to the elevator.
Jonas was going over his notes on the Naquadria project. He was calculating the necessary figures to find out how much it was going to cost his government to be able to build Naquadria based generators. He looked up when he heard Kyna's office door close.
After placing his note book down he left his office and walked down to the elevator where she was standing. "Kyna."
She gave him half of a glance, "Jonas." The elevator doors opened, and they both stepped inside.
Once the doors closed Jonas turned towards her, "where are you heading?"
"The infirmary." She gave him a smile.
He grinned; she was going to go look up his records. "What a coincidence. That's where I am heading as well."
"Really?" She grinned, and folded her hands in front of her. Her laptop was still in its case hanging from her shoulder.
"How um... long...?" He rubbed his mouth. He wanted to ask her how long she needed to look at his file.
"About thirty seconds, forty five at the most." She looked straight a head. Kyna was aware of the fact that there were cameras in the elevators. She didn't want to look like she was overly excited about seeing Jonas, just incase Jack was watching. The elevator door opened, and they both walked out.
Upon entering the infirmary, Kyna's eyes searched for Dr. Viola, but she could not be found. Instead she saw Dr. Carmichael. He walked over to them.
"Is there anything I could help either one of you with?" He glanced between the two of them.
Kyna crossed her arms in front of her chest, "I had a feeling that I was going to be summoned down here for a physical."
"Ah, yes, you and your feelings. I was about to call your office." Dr. Carmichael looked towards Jonas.
"I came to read my test results. I've been thinking if the Ancient gene is something unique, perhaps there is some sort of binary code written in it? Perhaps once unlocked it will reveal some hidden information." He pressed his lips together while he raised his brows.
Dr. Carmichael nodded, "we have a team that is currently trying to figure that out. Though I guess they would appreciate your insight. I'll get your file." He looked at Kyna, "If you would wait behind that curtain over there, I'll be with you in a moment." He walked half way across the infirmary.
"Dr. Carmichael, I was wondering if I could wait for Dr. Viola? Do you know when she'll be in?" Kyna quickly moved across the room and stood beside him.
Jonas sat on one of the hospital beds that were nearest to him. He then started to watch them talk. His vision blurred for a moment, so he blinked his eyes. When he looked at them again, Dr. Carmichael looked exactly the same, but Kyna looked different. Her hair was much shorter and belly was extended several inches from her normally slender waist. She rubbed her back as she spoke.
Jonas shook his head and blinked again, when he looked at her this time she was back to normal. He was left with a feeling of confusion and an overwhelming need to protect her no matter the cost.
Kyna walked back over to him, "Dr. Viola's in a meeting, he said she'll be back..." She looked at him with concern in her eyes, "are you feeling well, Jonas?"
He rubbed his head, "I... I'm not sure." He looked into her eyes, "It happened again, Kyna."
"You had a vision?" She asked in a low voice.
Jonas nodded, "you were talking to Dr. Carmichael, he looked basically the same but you were different. Your hair was much shorter..." At this point he didn't want to mention that she looked pregnant as well.
"It has to be of the future because this is the shortest my hair has ever been besides when my parents ascended." Right now it was pulled back in a ponytail. She shook her head, "There must be a reason why you are having these visions." Her eyes watched Dr. Carmichael. He was still across the room by the filling cabinets.
"I just hope that I don't have to have brain surgery again..." Jonas frowned. Last time the images were so random, but now they all seem to center around her.
"Don't worry Jonas, I won't let that happen to you. I may insist on the people here learning how to come up with technology on their own, but I won't allow you to suffer." She held a determined look in her eyes.
"I appreciate that." He gave her a smile.
Dr. Carmichael walked over to them with the file, he handed it to Jonas. "The only thing is that I require you to stay here with that." He pressed his lips together.
"Yes, sir." Jonas nodded his head.
"Good," He looked at his watch. "We have a team coming in ten minutes from off world so I'm going to head down to get Gate Room. Dr. Viola should be back in five. If you have any questions concerning the results I'm sure that she can answer them better then I can." He nodded and then left the infirmary.
After Dr. Carmichael was out of sight, Jonas brought the hospital curtain half way around them so that no one would be able to see them looking at the file together as they walked in. Although he also wanted to leave it half way open so to not give anyone reason to suspect that they were up to something.
Kyna took her laptop out of its case and opened it. It wasn't a normal computer. It was completely Ancient in design, but it looked like it was the model that they had issued to her. She laid each sheet of paper and x-ray from the file on the computer screen to scan it. Once done she handed the file back to him, "I'll just need to take a fresh cellular sample to complete the file." She looked around and found a jar of Q-tips. She took one of them and handed it to Jonas. "Use the cotton tip to rub the inside of your cheek."
He took it and did as instructed. Jonas then handed it over to her.
After taking the Q-tip from him, she pressed it onto the corner of her screen. Within a second they were able to see his cheek cells on the screen.
Kyna threw out the Q-tip, and then started to magnify one of the cells. She was able to pull up his DNA as a holo-projection. She typed in several commands, "do you see the highlighted areas?"
Jonas nodded; he remembered what his DNA looked like from when Nirrti was running her experiments on him. "Yes, I see it."
"That's your human DNA, it takes up about eighty three percent of your genetic make-up. Which is quite amazing, there must have been some Ancients taken to your planet in order for that to happen." She started to enter several more commands.
"Could the changes have to do with my work on the Naquadria Project? Our protective gear isn't very affective, I'm afraid." He could hardly believe it; only eighty three percent of his DNA was actually human.
"It's possible..." One new unit of DNA was highlighted. "I'll proceed to check on that next. That there is the Ancient Genetic Marker; I have it as well."
"What is the Marker for?" Jonas's brows came together.
"I'm actually not quite sure about that. The Ancients didn't use Markers before leaving this region of space. That Marker has nothing to do with the other genetic correction we made to our DNA." She started to enter in the commands to see if any of his genetics were affected by the Naquadria radiation.
"How do you know that the Ancients didn't have the Marker before leaving this region of space?" He crossed his arms in front of his chest as he watched the projection.
"There are no records of it in the Repository of Knowledge that I accidentally downloaded into my brain. Other wise, I would have to actually do research to find out about a lot of things that I know. I guess you can say that I'm sort of hypocritical in that aspect." She frowned; she knew she had an unfair advantage to everyone else because someone else had already done all the research for the information that she knew about.
Jonas frowned as well, he didn't mind the fact that she had a Repository in her head, or that she refused to share its knowledge. What worried him was that he wasn't sure if it influenced her in any way. He pointed to the screen, "What's that there?"
A piece of his DNA was highlighted.
Kyna magnified it, "that's the damaged DNA from the Naquadria Radiation. It mainly deals with cellular reproduction. I'm afraid that you're going to be prone to cancer." She frowned. "Though the good news is that it didn't affect your brain chemistry, so you're not going to become schizophrenic." She had noticed that tad bit of information when she was scanning his file into her computer.
Jonas took in a deep breath, "I had a brain tumor before; will it be the same type of cancer?"
She studied his DNA, and then she shook her head. "No that's because Nirrti activated parts of your DNA that should have remained inactive due to the current levels of your brain chemistry." She entered several commands; the seventeen percent of his DNA that was Ancient became highlighted. "Fifteen percent of that should be inactive, but its only thirteen percent."
Next she highlighted the genes that were activated. She carefully looked at those particular genes. "You're... you're from the house of the Oracles!" She turned to look at him with wide eyes. "They were the most sacred of the Ancients since that is extremely recessive and rare gene. All those that had it lived on a remote world before the plague broke out to ensure that they would be able to have at least one Oracle for each generation." She thought for a moment.
"This is all fascinating." He thought out loud, but at the same time he still didn't like the idea that he was going to be prone to cancer. "Though it didn't help them to stop the spread of the plague."
Kyna frowned, "no it didn't. Though they did try to make a time machine to go back before the plague to stop it from happening." She pointed to one of the genes. "This one is responsible for your visions. However it isn't active right now." She shook her head, "what ever is currently happening to you now has nothing to do with your genetics. However I would like to take a look into your mind to see if there were any subliminal messages left there."
"That still doesn't explain why I've been seeing images of you." He tilted his head.
"Perhaps the part of you that is Ancient knows that I am one as well, and that I'm the only one that can help you?" She was unsure, so she bit her lip.
"You know I find this all to be quite interesting." Dr. Viola raised a thin red eyebrow. "I wish you included me in on it." Dr. Viola had walked in soon after they had begun breaking down his DNA. Her hearing was naturally better then most, so when she heard them conversing she moved towards the curtain to say hello.
"Kat! I mean, Dr. Viola. We were just going over Jonas's test results." Kyna bit her lip again.
"Yes, I heard. I came in around the time you were showing him his human DNA. Isn't there someway you can make sure that he doesn't get cancer?" She crossed her arms in front of her chest as she looked at Jonas. "I'm sure that will eventually be a concern of his."
"I was going to get to that..." Kyna put a hand on her hip. "I'll just have to take him to Deshi. Though I will likely have to allow some scientists to snoop around while doing so." She shrugged even though she was extremely protective of Deshi; she was even more protective of Jonas. The thought of his life being cut short due to cancer was not an option in her mind; especially since she knew that they may not be able to see each other again after he returned to his home world.
"I plan on joining you when you do go." Kat nodded. She wanted to learn as much about Ancient medical technology as possible.
"Excuse me ladies," Jonas looked between the two of them as he held his hands up, as he spoke, "please don't talk about me like I'm not even here." Then he lowered them, "now let's remain focused and take care of one thing at a time?" Jonas was concerned about the idea of getting cancer but right now he felt that the bigger threat was behind why he was seeing things, and knowing how to do things without anyone demonstrating them to him.
Katrina nodded, and then she took out her flashlight to examine his pulps. "You said that you were having visions?"
Kyna sat down on the same bed as Jonas and brought the screen of her computer to a vertical position. She then started to go over his file again.
"They were like visions... it was almost like I was living a moment over again before it would disappear." He shook his head; he was pretty frustrated by it.
"Sort of like disavow?" Katrina hoped that was all that it was.
"Yes, like that, but different at the same time. Every time it happened it was around her, and when ever I saw her she looked slightly different. Then there were things that I knew without being told. For example, I knew her name without anyone mentioning it to me."
"What you're describing is defiantly different then what I read in your file." Katrina frowned; she didn't like the idea of not knowing how to help him. Normally she was able to diagnose a problem with no more then a blink of her eye. "I'm going to recommend that we do an MRI to see if the growth is back or if it is located in a slightly different spot."
Jonas hated those machines, "Couldn't Kyna just take a look instead?"
Kat tilted her head as she wondered how he knew that she was capable of that. "Normally she likes to let us do things the hard way. It keeps most of the staff here employed." She grinned, and looked over to Kyna.
Kyna was looking at them with a bewildered look on her face. "How did you know that I could do that? You know about the healing ability, but looking into one's mind is a clearly different story." Kyna closed her laptop, and slid off the bed.
"I...I don't know..." Jonas rubbed his head. He leaned back on the bed and looked up at the ceiling.
Kyna stood next to him. "I'm going to search your brain for any abnormalities, then I'm going to check your memory to see if there is any information that may have been implanted there."
Jonas nodded and then he took in a deep breath and tried to relax.
Katrina took several steps back to keep watch. The last thing she needed was Dr. Carmichael to walk in and then lecture her on procedure. She wasn't an air force doctor; in fact she had nothing to do with the United States arm forces. True she was a citizen since she spent most of her childhood and adolescents in the States, but the country she represented was Ireland. It was country that she was born in and worked in the last several years. She believed that she was the only person with any type of foreign representation to actually know about Kyna.
Kyna took a deep breath as she placed her hands over Jonas' s head. She closed her eyes and began to scan his tissues and cells for any tumors.
The off world activation alarm went off in the background.
It didn't break Kyna's concentration. She finished examining his brain, and then she started to focus in on his memory. "Think about the first time you experienced one of your recent visions."
Jonas continued to try to remain relaxed. He focused on when he first saw her standing in the doorway of her library and the image of the ZPM blueprints turning into shielding blueprints.
Kyna attempted to access those memories. She quickly pulled her hands away, and then rubbed them together. She started to shake her head; she then placed them back over his head again.
Even though Kat was keeping watch, she was looking back and forth to see what was going on.
Kyna dropped her hands to her sides.
Jonas looked up at her, "what's wrong?"
"I'm being blocked..." She pouted.
"I was doing what you told me to do..." Jonas tried to let her know that he was doing his best.
"It's not you..." Kyna crouched down on the ground and held her head.
Jonas and Katrina quickly went over to her. Katrina started to check her vitals.
"Jonas I'm sorry, I tried to see what you saw but something is blocking me. I don't know what it is..." She held up her hand towards Kat, "I'm fine, Dr. Viola, I'm just feeling..." She took a deep breath, "I don't know how to describe it. I really want to be able to solve this but I can't seem to be able to."
"It's called frustration, Kyna, and I'm feeling it too, but there seems to be nothing that we can do about it right now." Jonas rubbed her back as he spoke softly to her.
Katrina raised her brows as she observed their body language. She cleared her throat to remind them that she was still there. Once she saw both of them looking back at her she spoke, "sorry about that." She looked towards the door to make sure no one was in ear range. "I do have a suggestion to make. I can try to sign out a Tok'ra memory device, and then perhaps you may find some answers hidden in your mind."
"I'd be willing to try that."
Meanwhile - SGC Gate Room
Dr. Carmichael entered the Gate Room and crossed his arms in front of his chest as he waited for SG-5 to return from their mission.
Jack noticed Dr. Carmichael as he stood in the briefing room. He walked down and joined him, "expecting trouble?"
"It doesn't hurt to be prudent, Sir." Dr. Carmichael dropped his arms to his sides.
"Well the mission was diplomatic one." Jack stuffed his hands into his pockets. "There shouldn't been any injuries or casualties," He started to talk with his hand. "Well that is as long as no one died from boredom." He looked at his watch as the chevrons begun to lock into place. "Right on time."
The event horizon stabilized; from the control room Walter was the acting technician on duty. "Receiving SG-5's GDO." He said over the loud speaker.
"Open the Iris." Jack gave the go a head.
Walter opened the Iris.
Jack and Dr. Carmichael turned towards the Stargate as Daniel made his way into the Gate Room.
Major Davis and First Minister Dreylock appeared though the event horizon.
"First Minister, welcome back to the SGC." Jack was trying to be on his best behavior. He nodded towards Paul, "Major Davis."
"General O'Neill." Paul nodded.
Daniel and Dr. Carmichael stood several feet away. They didn't speak up at all. Daniel was standing there with his hands in his pockets, while Dr. Carmichael was feeling rather useless being there.
Dreylock tilted her head, "thank you, General. It appears that our calling your world for assistance is becoming a habit."
"Couldn't have said it better myself." Jack gave her a thin smile, "but we are, of course always happy to help."
"Yes, with the exchange of Naquadria I would assume." She sounded slightly annoyed by that.
"Well, it helps." Jack turned to walk towards the door to head to the briefing room. "No matter, there are plenty of different kinds of folks that ask us for our help all the time, like the Tok'ra, Tollan, Jaffa..."
"You mean the Karel, they're not Tollan anymore, and don't forget the Asgard." Daniel added in.
Dr. Carmichael took his leave without saying anything.
"I wasn't going to forget them, but my point is that we ask them for help from time to time as well. That's what being Allies is about, the mutual helping of each other in the time of need. We just have to remember that bickering should remain out of it, that's all." Jack looked at Dreylock as he spoke.
"I have learned much from interacting with your world, and couldn't agree more." Dreylock had been humbled several times already when dealing with the SGC. First was when they launched the Naquadria bomb, and then again when she found out that because of detonating it they nearly destroyed their planet. The list goes on.
"Well that's good, you've grown." Daniel walked several feet behind them as they climbed up the spiral staircase.
"The Joint International Security Force has been very corruptive with Col. Carter and her plans on how to take out the terrorist group that is responsible for the assassinations." Major Davis wanted to inform them on their progress.
First Minister Dreylock's eyes scanned the briefing room. "May I inquire to the whereabouts of Jonas Quinn?"
"He's around..." Jack scanned the room for someone to go and call Jonas to come to the briefing room.
"Since this matter concerns him, I insist that he be present." First Minister Dreylock stood behind a chair before pulling it free from under the desk and sitting down.
"Daniel..." Jack looked at him.
"I'll go find him..." Daniel looked at those present and then turned to walk out.
"Thank you." Jack sat at the head of the table as Major Davis sat across from Dreylock.
Infirmary
Dr. Carmichael was walking back into the Infirmary. He found Jonas Quinn sitting on one of the beds with a lab top computer, and his file opened. Dr. Viola was handing Ms. Dior a pair of patient scrubs for her physical. She was located on the opposite side of the room.
"Just open the curtain when your finished getting changed, Hun." Kate smiled at Kyna and then drew the curtain closed.
"Yes, Ma'am..." Kyna said reluctantly as she took off her black t-shirt.
Kate had seen Dr. Carmichael coming towards the Infirmary, and had been able to get Kyna to where she should be. He didn't have to know that she got out of her meeting with her team several minutes early, and that they had spent the last few minutes discussing Jonas's memories.
Dr. Carmichael nodded to Dr. Viola as he crossed the room, "If you need anything, I'll be in my office."
"Will do," Katrina stood in the center of the room with her hands clasped together as he went into his office and closed the door just enough to leave it slightly ajar.
"You have to see this Dr. Viola..." Jonas looked up at her.
Kat walked several steps over to him, and took out her reading glasses. She crouched down to look at the computer screen. "What am I looking at?"
Jonas demagnetized the image. A three dimensional image on the screen of his brain appeared. "This matches up with that MRI," he pointed to the open file. "I believe that when she scanned that into the computer it took the numbers and created this representation of my brain."
"That's amazing, I hope we'll be able to develop something like this within my life time." She stood as Kyna pushed back the curtain.
Jonas smiled at Kyna, "I think white's your color."
Kyna grinned, "of course it is." She sat on the bed as Dr. Viola joined her. She pulled the curtain around them blocking them from view.
Daniel was walking past the door when he heard Jonas's voice. He stopped and did a one eighty to enter the infirmary. "There you are, I've been looking all over for you."
Jonas closed the laptop, and stood, "Really?"
"Well, not all over. I actually just started." Daniel shook his head; "we need you in the Briefing Room." He put his hands on his hips.
"Briefing Room? What's happening?" Jonas walked several meters to join Daniel.
"Nothing yet, although you do have a visitor." Daniel raised his brows and blinked as he spoke.
Briefing Room
Daniel and Jonas walked into the Briefing Room and moved towards to the table.
First Minister Dreylock stood and bowed her head, "Jonas Quinn."
"First Minister." Jonas pressed his lips together, as his brows came together as well. "What has happened?"
"Take a seat boys," Jack motioned for them to sit.
Jonas sat next to Dreylock, while Daniel sat across from him.
First Minister Dreylock turned towards Jonas, "before we discuss the matter at hand, I just want you to know, Jonas, that because you are so close to the situation we have kept you in the dark about certain things."
Jonas nodded slowly, "Have you found Professor Udo yet?"
"That is a delicate matter... I'm afraid that he is still being held captive. From what our operatives have told us is that he is still alive. In fact, they want us to trade him for you." She spoke calmly and clearly.
"Well, that's putting it delicately..." Daniel spoke under his breath as he crossed his arms in front of his chest and sat back in his seat.
"I'll do it, when can we make the trade?" Jonas didn't hesitate to respond or even think about what he was saying. He said it because he loved and respected the man that he knew as a father figure. He hated the fact that he was involved in this.
"Not so fast, Jonas." Jack sat forward in his chair. "We're not going to just let you walk though that Gate and into the hands of terrorists. By the way their main goal is to kill you, remember?"
Jonas turned towards Jack, "I can't let him suffer for my sake."
"We've actually come up with a plan." Major Davis sat forward.
"A plan?" Jonas blinked; he looked at all of them in turn.
"Col. Carter and Officer Svatos are coordinating an attack using SG-1 and SG-5," Paul added in.
"But if they notice that you're attacking, won't they kill Professor Udo?" Jonas was still very concerned.
Dreylock still appeared to be pretty much composed," We have thought of that, Jonas Quinn. We currently have operatives inside of the facility that will hold him in a secure and safe location until we can emancipate him."
Langara-Executive Meeting Room
Col. Samantha Carter was standing to one of the sides of the Executive Meeting Room's long table. In front of her were the blue prints and the lay out for several city blocks that surrounded the building. She had their sewage plans out as well. Over each of the plans lay a clear plastic screen that had erasable marker writings on them.
Officer Svatos stood next to her, "I think that all the angles have been covered."
Sam nodded as she adjusted her P-90.
A young cadet knocked on the closed door.
"Enter!" Officer Svatos bellowed. He was concentrating on the plans and did not feel the desire to completely cross the large room to open the door.
The young cadet opened the door. "Excuse me, Officer Svatos, Sir?" His voice squeaked.
Sam looked at the young cadet, she judged him to be either sixteen or seventeen years old. He looked rather overwhelmed as well.
"What is it Cadet?" Officer Svatos stood at attention when addressing the younger man.
The cadet's eyes widened as he remembered that he was to be at attention as well. He tried his best to sound manlier. "There is a man to see Col. Carter, Sir!" His eyes shifted back towards the man that was still out of sight.
"Send him in." Officer Svatos kept his voice as hard as he could. Then under his breath he said to Sam, "My wife's cousin's son. He's not really cut out for this type of work, but I promised her that I would find him at least a nice desk job."
Sam politely gave him a smile. She then turned her eyes towards the door.
Dressed in his Jaffa gear, Teal'c stood several feet in front of the door. He towered over the cadet. He looked over his shoulder to the cadet.
The cadet gulped and then quickly closed the door.
"Col. Carter, it is good to see you again." He bowed his head.
"Teal'c! I'm glad that you could make it." She smiled as she watched him cross the room. "Let me introduce you to Officer Svatos. He is the Head of Security for the Joint International Security Force."
Teal'c bowed his head in acknowledgement.
"Col. Carter has told me that you are very good at strategy." Svatos hated small talk. So, he decided to get down to the heart of the matter.
"Indeed I am." Teal'c shifted his eyes towards the different set of blue prints.
"While the Langarans are going to be causing a diversion by heading off the attack at the main entrance, we will be coming in the building though the sewers. We are going to meet up with one of their operatives and pull the hostage out." Sam pointed towards the hidden entrance that leads up into the building. "Once done the Langarans will infiltrate the building from several different entrances."
"Do you have sufficient forces to pull off such an attack?" Teal'c looked at Svatos.
"We do. Our goal is to take them alive. We want to interrogate them, to find out who else is involved, and then hold them for a public trial. We need the people to see that it is only a few who are willing to go to extremes to maintain a war time environment among our three different nations."
Earth - Briefing Room
"...and that's the plan. Are their any questions?" Paul looked at all of them.
"Will, I be able to go along too?" Jonas asked. He didn't want to be left behind.
Jack and Dreylock exchanged looks. She spoke up first, "if that is your wish, I will not stand in your way this time. However I would appreciate it if you did not go as well."
"Jonas you've been out of the SGC for about two years, during that time you've had no combat training. I don't want to risk my men, who will be protecting you while at the same time they will have to be protecting that professor friend of yours." Jack sat forward as he spoke.
Jonas shook his head, "I've kept in shape, Sir. I've even spent time at the barracks to talk with the men stationed there. I wanted to find out their concerns for the future and the roll that they wanted to play in it. They didn't just accept me, I had to earn their trust by training with them every weekend for the past eight months." He took a deep breath, "I have to go. I owe it to Professor Udo to be there for him."
Jack thought it over as he rubbed his chin. "All right, you can go. But I want you to be extra careful. No heroics, okay?"
"Okay." Jonas nodded.
Infirmary - Hours Later
"Am I done yet...?" Kyna tilted her head up at Dr. Viola as she let out a loud yawn.
"Almost, you've been a trooper really, I even got you a lollypop this time." Kate grinned as she pulled one out of her pocket and handed it over to her.
"Well that certainly makes it worth it." Kyna said it sarcastically. She then took the lollypop and pulled off the plastic. She smelt it, "Grape?" She stuck it in her mouth for a moment, and then took it out. "Artificial flavoring, but high in sugar." She stuck it back into her mouth and smiled.
"I knew you would like it." Kate grinned. She finished printing out the MRI for the file.
Jonas walked into the Infirmary wearing his old off world gear. He walked around until he found Dr. Viola and Kyna. "You wanted to see me, Dr. Viola?"
Kat turned towards Jonas. "Yes I did. I signed out the Tok'ra memory device. I hope it comes up with something, because I'm sure someone along the lines will notice that it's not there." She took it out of her pocket and walked over to Jonas. She placed it behind his ear. "I'm going to set it on low so that your memories won't overwhelm you."
"What reason did you put down for signing it out?" He slightly winced as it was implanted.
Katrina turned towards Kyna. "Nothing right now, but I think I'll put down that she wanted it to see if she could assess repressed memories from the Repository with it."
"It wouldn't work..." Kyna said that with the lollypop in her mouth.
"Let's just hope no one notices it." Jonas's brows came together as he put his hat on.
"Where are you going?" Kyna looked curiously up at him. She noticed that he was wearing off world gear.
"To see Professor Udo, remember I told you about him?" He didn't want to tell her about the mission.
Katrina walked over to the white board and placed the MRI up. She turned on the light and started to examine it.
"Oh, I remember you told me that he is like a father to you. He must be wondering what happened to you. Do you know when you will be back?" Kyna smiled.
Jonas crossed his arms in front of his chest and rubbed his chin. "I'm not sure."
Kyna's smile faded. "I see" She took the lollypop out of her mouth. " ... Well, be carefully then."
Jonas placed his hand on her shoulder and gave it a light squeeze. "I will."
She gave him a firm hug. At the same time she kept the lollypop facing out to make sure that it didn't get stuck to his back.
He rubbed her back for less then a moment, and then left the infirmary.
Katrina had turned around when they were hugging, and then quickly turned back towards the board.
Kyna put the lollypop back into her mouth; she then walked over to Katrina. "Am I done yet?"
Katrina rolled her eyes. "Stop whining."
Langara - Location Unknown
The blond haired young man from Professor Udo's first interrogation walked nonchalantly though the halls of the terrorist hide out. He smiled and stopped ever now and then to say something to the guys he knew from the University. He was on his way to his room. Once there he entered and then locked the door. He went straight to his bed and pulled his trunk out from underneath it.
Upon opening it, it appeared to be a truck full of clothes. Although it wasn't just full of clothes, the trunk was carefully crafted to have a secret compartment on the bottom half of it. The clothes were just a way to hide it. In that space was a radio transmitter.
The closet door slowly opened. In the shadows, a man watched him carefully.
The blond haired young man took the radio transmitter out of the trunk. He turned it on and then listened for the static; once heard he started to transmit his message. "Calling headquarters, calling headquarters, this is Yellow Agent." He listened for a response.
The closet door opened wide enough for the figure to slowly creep out from it.
"Headquarters ... please respond ... this is Yellow Agent." He frowned and then started to check the transmitter to make sure that it was working properly.
The figure inched his way behind Yellow Agent. He raised his hands along with one of Yellow Agent's belts. He quickly wrapped it around his throat and tightened it.
Yellow Agent grabbed the belt, but couldn't loosen it. He felt the air being sucked out of his lungs. Quickly, he reached behind him and grabbed the other man's arm. He tucked his chin, and bent his right knee. He tried to flip him over shoulder, but he could not.
The other man continued to choke him with his own belt. He kicked his back with his foot while holding the belt in place.
The Yellow Agent's body gave way and went forward. He started to lose consciousness. He tried to grasp the belt again, but his strength left him. His hands fell limp at his sides.
After another moment, the figure knew that he was dead. He dropped the belt, and then walked to the door leaving the body in the room.
From the transmitter static could be heard, "Yellow Agent, this is headquarters, report." Another few minutes went by and the same message was sent.
SGC - Gate Room
Jonas was walking into the Gate Room when his first memory hit him. He started to recall the first time he went on an away mission, and how he had worn that helmet. Jack told him to lose it and put on his hat.
He shook his head; it felt like he was seeing two things at once. Where he was located at present and the memory at the same time. He started to wonder if wearing this thing was such a good idea. He started to concentrate on the task at hand as he hoped that would help him to be able to control what he saw with that device.
Daniel was already in the Gate Room. He saw Jonas enter and walked up to him. "Hey, are you okay?" He was wearing his off world gear as well.
Jonas blinked. "I fine. I didn't know you were going too. I thought that my planet was the last place you ever wanted to go again."
Daniel shrugged, "you're my friend Jonas. I want to help you, besides it's better to face my issues then run away from them." He gave Jonas a smile. Last time he didn't go with them to Langara, Kyna went missing for several hours. If he had gone he would have stuck by her side the entire time. He couldn't live with himself if anything happened to his friends.
Jonas nodded, "I appreciate it." He felt slightly better, but at the same time he was starting to worry even more then before.
"Hello boys," Jack walked into the Gate Room. He gave Walter the signal to start the dialing program.
Jonas took a step back and faced Jack on an angle. He didn't want him to see the Tok'ra memory device.
The other three members of SG - 5 were already present.
"Hey Jack." Daniel checked his watch.
"I just wanted to wish you well." Jack raised his brows.
"Thanks." Jonas pressed his lips together. He was still angry at Jack for lying about Kyna.
The event horizon became stabilized.
Jonas walked towards the Gate; he turned and waved to Jack before walking though the event horizon.
Jack's brows came together. "What's with him?"
Daniel shrugged, "I don't know, perhaps he's worried about his friend." He started to walk to the Gate as well.
Jack said in a loud voice, "that must be it." He stuck his hands in his pockets, "good luck!" He hated staying behind, but he knew that his people could handle the situation.
Daniel looked the Gate Room over once more, and then walked though the Event Horizon followed by the members of SG-5.
Langara - Location Unknown
The dark haired young man from Professor Udo's first interrogation knocked on the door of his boss. After a moment he heard several locks click as they became unlocked. His boss opened the door a crack.
"What do you want?" He sounded annoyed. His breath reeked of alcohol.
"I eliminated a problem. I thought that you might what to inspect my work." He snickered.
He paused for several moments, "which problem?"
"I made sure that our uninvited guest will no longer cause us grief." He said it in a low and harsh voice.
The boss then nodded slowly from behind the chained door. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes."
"Thank you, Sir." The dark haired man turned and walked down the hall. The door closed behind him.
Langaran Stargate
Jonas stepped though the event horizon to find that he was back home. He took a deep breath and then let it out slowly.
"Jonas Quinn it is good to see you once more." Teal'c entered the room and bowed his head.
"Teal'c! How are you? I heard that your cause is going well." Jonas gave Teal'c a smile. He could remember how he had reassured him that one day his people would see his sacrifices for what they were worth.
"It indeed is. There are many thousands of Jaffa that are loyal to the cause." Teal'c smiled.
"I'm glad that things are going so well for you." Jonas grinned. He had grown fond of Teal'c and their nightly discussions when he was still apart of SG-1.
Daniel came though the event horizon. "Hey Teal'c, I didn't know you were going to be here." He walked up to them and put his hands on his hips.
"Col. Carter required my assistance." He shifted his stance, "I am most pleased to help my friends." He smiled at Jonas.
The rest of SG-5 stepped though the event horizon.
Sam and Paul entered the room. "Hey guys!" Sam stopped a couple of feet away from them.
Paul gave them a nod. "Officer Svatos is currently moving his men into position. The civilian population in the surroundings builds will be evacuated once the siege begins."
"Why wait to evacuate them? Couldn't someone get hurt in the process?" Jonas frowned.
"We still have the element of surprise. If we evacuate the population of that sector prior to it, then that will tip the terrorists off and they could be evacuated with the rest of the population." Sam shifted her eyes between everyone that was present.
"That is most wise." Teal'c nodded with approval.
Dreylock entered the room. "I believe everyone is now present." Dreylock clasped her hands together in front of her. "I do have a bit of bad news."
They all turned their attention to her.
"We have lost contact with one of our operatives." Dreylock appeared to be distributed.
"So, much for the element of surprise." Daniel raised a brow before looking down.
Terrorist Holding Cells - A Half Hour Later
Avidan was sitting on the floor of his cell. He had barely had any food or water in the last several days. Since the day that the young man had brought him the sandwich and his canteen, his captors had brought him one bowl of soup each morning with a slice of bread. It wasn't much, but it was keeping him alive.
The young man, who brought Avidan food that day, came walking down into the holding cell area. He walked to the door, and unlocked it.
Avidan looked up at him though clouded eyes.
"Professor Udo, it's time to leave." He said in a low voice. He looked back down the hall to make sure that no one followed him.
"I won't go." He shook his head, "I won't let you hurt Jonas." He held his head in his hands. "I won't go. I won't go... I won't go..."
The young man closed his eyes and pressed his lips together as he took in a deep breath. He entered the cell and knelt next to him. "I'm not going to hurt Jonas Quinn. I'm going to get you out of here."
Avidan shook his head, "I don't believe you..."
"Professor Udo, listen to me. I won't let them hurt you. And my friends won't let them hurt Jonas Quinn. You have to trust me." He placed his hand on the old man shoulder.
Avidan looked him straight in the eyes, "who are you?"
"I'm a friend." He smiled and stood. "Now we must go; quickly now. The guards are changing shifts."
Avidan stood slowly. He then stumbled forward; he couldn't believe how weak he felt. "I don't understand your motives, you work for them..."
"Not exactly." He looked both ways down the hall.
Avidan shook his finger at him, "you're one of those undercover agents, aren't you?"
The young man didn't react, he moved down the hall and into one of the empty cells. He then moved the cot out of the way to reveal a trap door.
Avidan followed him down the hall and into the cell. He sat down on the cot as he was breathing heavily.
The young man took out a screwdriver and then started to undo the many screws that held the door in place.
Several Floors Above the Holding Cells
The dark haired young man started to pace back and forth as he waited for his boss to arrive. He glared at several of the other young men that were doing their homework in the lounge area.
He shook his head; he couldn't wait any longer. He wanted to see the body again. It gave him such a rush to know what he did. It had been most enjoyable.
He was about to walk down the hall when one of the older men that had been on guard duty ran up to him. "Excuse me, sir. You have a visitor at the South Entrance."
He raised a brow, and tilted his head, "perfect timing." He turned and walked towards the South Entrance.
Outside the Terrorist Building
Several buildings away Officer Svatos stood looking at the window with a looking scope. He narrowed his eyes as he saw a man walk towards the building and wait at the door. The man had a hat on his head and the brim of his coat turned up. He was looking around to make sure that no one had followed him.
First Minster Dreylock entered the room.
Without taking the looking scope away, he spoke. "All my men are in position. However someone is paying a call to the terrorists." He turned and handed her the looking long looking scope.
Dreylock took the scope in hand and peered though it. She narrowed her eyes as she tried to make out who he was. "He looks... familiar..." She handed it back to him.
"I know..." He looked over his shoulder towards the door. "Cadet!"
The young cadet, from before, came though the door. "Yes, sir?" He sounded uncertain of himself.
"Tell the squad leaders to move in." He turned back towards the window and looked though the scope again. The man that he was watching moved into the building. He then turned the scope to look at the squads as they slowly began to advance towards the building.
Sewage System Below the Streets Outside of the Terrorist Building
Jonas rubbed his nose as he moved though the tunnels with SG-1 and SG-5. "Next time we do this, remind me to pack a set of nose plugs."
Teal'c smirked. "The odor is most unpleasant. I will be pleased to pack a set for myself as well."
"We're in a sewer, what do did you expect it to smell like, roses?" Daniel moved along side of Sam as he carried his weapon in hand. His flashlight passed along the ground in front of him.
Sam took out a vial from one of her pouches and handed it to Jonas.
"What's this?" He took it and looked at it with his light that was on the end of his P-90.
"Rose oil. Put a dab of it on the corner of your nose, and it will block the smell." She grinned.
Jonas smirked and did as he was told.
"How did you come up with that, Col. Carter?" Paul asked.
"My first bio class in college, I always hated the smell of that room." She smirked before taking out her map. She used the light on her P-90 to make sure that she was leading them in the right direction.
Jonas breathed through his nose, "smells like roses in here," he grinned at Daniel.
Daniel rolled his eyes. He then turned towards Jonas and took the vial. He dabbed a bit on his fingertip and then rubbed it on his nose. He tried to hand it to Teal'c next.
"I prefer to be able to use my sense of smell to detect any strange odors once we have left this sewer." Teal'c raised his brow, "thank you anyway."
Daniel shrugged and then handed the vial to Paul.
Jonas moved next to Sam. "How far are we?"
"Less then a block away. We need to make a left down that tunnel." She motioned her light towards the small tunnel several feet away.
Teal'c stepped forward followed by Paul. They both shined their lights down the small tunnel. Paul looked up at him, "do you want to go first or should I?"
Teal'c's expression remained neutral; he simply went down the small tunnel and out the other side. He then started to scan the area for any traps that might have been set for intruders.
Jonas took a step forward. As he breathed in the rose oil, a memory flashed before his eyes.
"These are for you Mother!" The image of a young Jonas holding three small pink roses in his hands appeared in his mind's eye. He sniffed the flora before handing them over to the woman in front of him. They shared many of the same facial characteristics including the same color eyes and hair.
"They're beautiful Jonas! Where did you ever find them?" Jonas's mother took the flowers from him and then she placed her hand on his shoulder. She then lent in and gave him a kiss on the forehead.
An older man came into view, he appeared to be a bit sterner, but there was love in his eyes. He was dressed in his military uniform. "He dragged me all over the city to find them." He grinned at his wife, as he never let his eyes leave her smiling face.
"Happy Spring Mother!" He looked up at his mother. At that moment in time, he was truly happy.
"Jonas, are you okay?" Daniel stopped and looked back at him. The last member of SG-5 just went though the tunnel. All that was left on this side was Sam, Daniel and Jonas.
Jonas blinked, "I'm fine, I'm just worried that's all." He hadn't thought of that day in years.
Sam looked at her watch, "we better hurry." She then went though the tunnel.
Jonas pressed his lips together, and nodded. He then passed Daniel to climb though the tunnel.
Daniel paused as he wondered about Jonas's behavior. When he had passed him, he thought that he saw something behind his ear, but he wasn't sure. The lighting was so poor that he felt that he should wait to ask him about it. He then raised his brows and entered the tunnel.
Terrorist Building - South Entrance
"This better be worth it, Raul Morten." The boss growled under his alcohol smelling breath.
The young man with the dark hair from Avidan's first interrogation tilted his head and looked at his boss. "It is. I think you will approve of my method." He closed the door and then started to walk down the hall.
Several men walked pass them. Some stopped and just looked at the man in the hat. Those that were high enough in their ranks nodded to him. Then there were those who had no idea who he was, but since the man with Raul Morten, they knew he was of importance.
Raul lead his boss towards the dormitory wing. "I discovered that it was him while I was sitting in the lounge. I heard him speaking to one of the others about our plans to sabotage the up coming elections. It was then that I knew I had heard his voice before. Later that night while I listened to the radio transmitter I heard his voice again. I listened for it the next day as well, and then distinguished how often he checked in with who ever he was working for."
"How do you know, that what you did, won't be brining the people he works for right up to the door?" The boss shook his head. He was starting to get the feeling that this had been a bad idea and that he should have just brushed the young man off.
"I... I don't, Sir. But at least now they won't be getting any new information from us!" He entered the proper hallway that was home to many of the young men living there.
"I want this facility to be evacuated within the next forty-eight hours. If they know where he is, then they know where we are. Besides that, moving the base of our operations will help us to keep spies out of our midst." He cleared his throat; "I will name you the head of background checks during tomorrow morning's meeting. I want you to find out everything that you can on anyone who is brought into this organization." He sounded annoyed by the thought of having to find a new place to base their work from.
They reached the room of Yellow Agent. Raul opened the door. "I choked him to death with is own belt. It was efficient and basically mess free." He crossed his arms over his chest as he looked proudly at the corpse on the ground.
"What do you plan on doing with him?" The boss glanced at it before turning back down the hall to leave.
Raul closed the door and followed him. "I was thinking of throwing it down into the sewage system. With any luck the vermin down there will consume his remains."
Outside the Terrorist Building
Officer Svatos stood by the window watching the scene below with First Minister Dreylock. Luckily, given the time of day, most of the surrounding buildings had been basically free of civilians. It had only taken them about ten minutes to evacuate those who had stayed in them. "Cadet!" He bellowed.
The door opened and the young man stood as straight as he could manage. "Yes, Sir?"
"Tell the squad leaders to proceed with the blockade." He didn't even bother to turn towards him.
"Yes, Sir!" The cadet said it with enthusiasm. He was nervous about the whole situation, but he knew that he was playing an important roll in it.
"That's all, Cadet!" Officer Svatos bellowed when he had not heard the young man leave right away.
"Yes, Sir! Sorry, Sir... Leaving now, Sir!" He quickly slammed the door shut.
Dreylock visibly jumped an inch or two when the door slammed.
Below barricades were being pushed into place to block each street and to set up areas where the men could be shielded from any weapons' fire. Behind the barricades men were setting up catapults to launch smoke bombs into the building.
At the North Entrance to the building the door opened. Several young men, who looked as if they were heading out to go exercise, stepped out onto the stairs.
Officer Svatos leaned forward as he watched them.
The one closest to the door noticed the blockade forming around the building and then dropped his bag. He turned and dove back into the building. The others had been talking and hadn't been paying attention.
One of the squad leaders had a megaphone in his hand, "DROP YOUR BELONGINGS AND PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEADS!"
Almost all of the young men complied. They were pretty scared. However, one of the men had a hand held gun, and he took it out of his pocket and shot at the squad leader.
From the rooftop of the building closest to the scene, a sniper quickly took out the man with the gun. He fell to his knees and then to the side though the rails and onto the street only two feet below.
"SLOWLY MAKE YOUR WAY ACROSS THE STREET," was their next order.
They did just that, and upon reaching the other side of the street, they were taken into custody.
Inside the gunshots had been heard. Men were running to the weapons lockers to grab what they could, while the man who dove back though the door sounded the alarm.
Dormitory Wing
Raul Morten's eyes widened as he heard the alarms go off. Around him doors were opening and young men were running out of their rooms to the armory.
"Gah!" The boss turned towards Raul. "YOU IMBASAL! LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!"
Raul shook his head, "It couldn't have been me! They didn't have enough time to organize an attack between now and when I killed that man!"
The boss started to pace. "There has to be another way out of here! I'm pretty sure that they must have covered all the exists by now."
Around them they heard glass breaking, as smoke bombs were being catapulted into the dorm rooms. Since most doors were closed the smoke was only coming in though the crack at the bottom of the doorways.
Raul thought for a moment. "There is, follow me!" He turned and went towards the stairwell.
Holding Cell Level
"I wish you had brought another one of those, I could have been helping you." Avidan frowned. He didn't like how long this was taking.
The young man had gotten most of the screws pulled out of place and was working on the last set. "If I had been searched it would have looked odd if I had two of the same exact screwdrivers on me."
Inside the hallway the alarms went off.
The young man whipped the sweat off of his brow as he continued to work as fast as he could.
Avidan peered out of the cells for a moment and then he looked back down at the young man. "Something's happening. The guards are running upstairs."
The young man didn't respond as he pulled out another screw.
Avidan hated feeling so helpless and weak, but there was nothing he could really do at the moment.
"Almost there..." He worked on the second to last screw.
"Hurry I think I hear someone coming!" Avidan hissed.
He pulled the screw lose, and dropped it. He then started on the last one.
Heavy footsteps could be heard approaching the cell.
"Got it!" The last screw was pulled lose.
Raul pointed a gun at the young man as he reached the cell. "I don't think so. Move away from the trap door."
The younger man narrowed his eyes as he looked at him.
"Do it! Now! Or..." he turned the gun on Avidan. "I'll shoot Professor Udo right in-between his eyes."
The younger man slowly moved away from the trap door. He still held the screwdriver in his hand as he tucked it up into the sleeve of his blazer.
Avidan looked down the barrow of the gun and gulped slowly.
"What's the hold up, why aren't you opening the trap door for me?!" Another man came into view.
Avidan could hardly believe his eyes upon seeing him. Even with the hat on and the collar folded up, he still could identify him.
"Corydon Lymnal, I should have know that a sniveling coward like yourself was a part of this operation!" Avidan stood as he glared at the other man.
Below the Trap Door, SG - 1 and SG - 5 had just arrived. Sam held up her closed fist, indicating that they should remain silent. She then motioned for SG - 5 to take defensive positions around the trap door while she climbed up the latter several feet so that she could hear what was going on.
"Brave words for a dead man, Avidan Udo." Professor Corydon Lymnal sneered. "Open the Trap Door."
The under cover agent stepped forward as he reminded them, "He barely has the strength to stand, never mind open the door." He narrowed his eyes as he looked between the two traitors.
Raul growled, "then why don't you open the door then?" He waved him over to the Trap Door with his gun.
SG - 1 stepped back. Sam motioned for them to cut their lights as she climbed down and then out of view.
"Do you honestly think that you can get away, Lymnal? There are men up there that know who you are, they will name you as their leader and you will fall!" Avidan growled at the man.
"I will just disappear and no one will be the wiser." Lymnal commented.
"No one just disappears, Lymnal. You need help. The times are changing and we are moving to the unification of our world. Your image will be posted all over the planet, and someone will recognize you and take you in." Avidan stated the obvious.
Lymnal sneered with anger, "not another word from you, you fool!"
The agent opened the Trap Door. He looked up, "now what?" He moved away from the door. If he had been by himself he would have attempted to dive though it and to try to escape. But he couldn't just leave Professor Udo here to be at their mercy.
Raul turned the gun back on Avidan. "It's your call." He said to his boss.
"We might need a hostage just in case this gets messy." Gunshots could be heard overhead. He looked at the two men, "but which one? Udo is worth more, but he is weak and will slow us down. Then the agent is expendable." Then he thought to himself that the young man could possibly over take him if he wasn't careful.
"Either way they will slow us down." Raul narrowed his eyes. "We need to leave now, they are fighting above us." He didn't like the sound of what was going on upstairs.
Lymnal made up his mind. "Both of you into the cell across the hall. Now!"
Avidan slowly walked across the hall. The agent joined him as they entered the cell. He didn't see any good opportunities to use the screwdriver against them. He just hoped that they wouldn't be shot.
"Hand me the gun, and lock them in." Lymnal ordered Raul in a calm and calculated voice.
Raul quickly handed him the gun and then he got his keys out. He then locked the cell's door. As he turned back towards Lymnal, he heard an explosion and felt a blow of agonizing pain in his chest as he crumbled to the floor as he forever-lost consciousness.
Lymnal smirked as he saw the young man die at his feet. He blamed him for the siege, and felt that he would slow him down anyway. He didn't even take a moment to think that he might have needed him to find his way though the sewage tunnels.
In the cell Avidan looked on with horror. He had seen men die, but never in pure cold blood.
Lymnal was next to fall as energy washed over him.
Avidan was able to see back into the other cell. To his relief Jonas Quinn was half way out of the Trap Door holding up a weapon of sorts that Avidan didn't recognize.
Jonas climbed out the rest of the way out from the Trap Door. He then quickly crossed the cell and picked up the keys that had fallen next to the dead Raul as he kicked the gun away from Lymnal.
Sam climbed out of Trap Door next as Jonas got the door opened.
Avidan stared at Jonas. "Your father would be proud of you." He placed his hand on Jonas's shoulder.
Jonas reached over and embraced the older man. "I'm just glad that you're safe."
"You must be Blue Agent." Sam nodded to the young man as they made their way out of the different cells.
"That I am. I suggest we block the door before the senior members of the organization start to head down here." Blue Agent started to jog down the hall, but before he could reach the other end the gunfire increased.
Jonas closed his eyes as he heard the sounds of gunfire. A memory washed over his mind's eye.
Sam had paused to wait for him. They could hear the sounds of P- 90s going off from several corridors away. "We'll take the emergency tunnels to level 18. We have an entire room filled with them up there now." They reached a certain point in the hall that looked as if the wall was bare, but Sam reached forward and placed her hand on it. She looked over at Jonas, "Ancient Deshian Technology." The wall shimmered and disappeared. Sam was then able to swipe to gain access to the tunnel. They entered disappearing into the tunnels as the wall reappeared behind them.
Down the steps smoke bombs bounced into the hall. Blue Agent kicked it back though the door and then closed it before the hall was filled with smoke.
"That must be Officer Svatos's Forces." Sam called as she bound Lymnal's hands and feet with tie wraps. Behind her the rest of SG- 1 and SG - 5 finished climbing out of the Trap Door. She turned towards SG -1 and SG - 5, "Take up defensive positions." She felt that she rather be safe then sorry.
Teal'c moved into the hallway, "the odor lingers..." He smelt his coat and then raised a brow.
"Don't worry Teal'c, we'll all just have to shower when we get back." Daniel looked around as he noticed that all the other cells were empty.
"I think many showers will be required." Teal'c took off his coat and let it fall to the floor. He then entered one of the other cells.
Daniel went into the same cell with him and then knelt on the ground, while Teal'c stood at the door.
"I'm sure you must have been in worst smelling places then that, Teal'c," Daniel was glad that he was only able to smell the rose oil.
"That was the worst by far, Daniel Jackson." Teal'c had been in a lot of smelly places before, but walking though those sewers was turning his stomach.
Blue Agent went over to where Lymnal's gun had fallen. He picked it up and then went back into the cell where Jonas was currently having Avidan sit against the wall.
"I can fight if need be, I've been in two wars!" Avidan didn't like being so protected.
Jonas bent down and then took the gun out from its holster that was strapped to his thigh. He clicked the safety off, and then handed it to Avidan.
Avidan looked the weapon over, and then nodded his approval.
Jonas then turned and walked over to stand behind Blue Agent as he knelt on the ground.
Everyone had just gotten into position when they saw the door down the hall burst open. Several young men caring guns stumbled into the hall. They were coughing and appeared to be disorientated as smoke followed them into the hall.
"Put your weapons down!" Sam ordered.
The young men were so shocked that there were people in there that they complied. However when one of them did go to raise his gun, Sam shot him in the arm.
With in moments, Officer Svatos's Forces made their way down the stairwell. They were wearing gas masks. They were happy to find SG - 5 binding the hands of the ringleaders of the terrorist operation. But what surprised them the most was that they found Professor Lymnal there as well.
One of the highest-ranking men recognized Blue Agent and then walked over to him. "Good job, Blue Agent."
He nodded and replied, "Thank you, Sir."
"We've taken the building with few casualties and several minor injuries." He grinned, "This is a good day for our people."
"That it is, Sir." Blue Agent shifted his eyes over to Col. Carter.
"Second Officer Fife, I presume." Sam nodded to him. "Officer Svatos told me that you were going to be leading the men on the ground."
"That is affirmative. As we speak, the remaining terrorists are being apprehended and then they will be escorted to the stocks where they will await to be questioned and tried for treason." He stood with his chin held high.
"That's good to hear." Major Davis left his position and joined them.
Several Hours Later - Control Room - SGC
"Off World Activation, Incoming Worm Hole." Walter spoke into the microphone as the Stargate begun to spin.
Jack left his office and walked into the Control Room. Standing about a foot away from Walter's chair, he stopped and crossed his arms in front of his chest as he watched the computer below.
On the computer screen, SG-1's GDO popped up.
"Open the Iris," Jack said as he turned and walked out of the Control Room.
Walter did as he was told, and then preceded to watch the Event Horizon from his chair.
Siler was at the power relay boards. He had recently finished running a diagnostic and was packing up. He too left the Control Room. He wanted to see if he could catch Col. Carter and tell her of his results.
Jack had just finished climbing down the spiral stair case when though the Event Horizon SG - 1 walked though followed by SG - 5 and Jonas Quinn, who was pushing an elderly man in a wheel chair.
"All went well, I assume?" Jack raised his brows, but as he stepped closer to the ramp but he was hit by a wave of odor. "What is that God awful smell?"
"Sorry, Sir, that would be us." Sam pressed her lips together as she held her weapon down in front of her. They had barely walked down the ramp when they stopped about fifteen feet away from Jack.
"We spent some time traveling though fecal matter, hence the odor." Teal'c mentioned.
"Well go get decontaminated and then shower before this entire base smells like a latrine!" Jack turned away from them as he attempted to only breath through his mouth.
SG-5 didn't need to be told twice, they started to head towards the door along with Daniel and Teal'c.
Daniel passed Jonas on the side that he had the memory device inserted behind his ear. He paused for a split second as he looked at it and then continued to walk towards the door.
"Oh! And burn those uniforms while you're at it!" Jack called as they left.
"Will do!" Daniel waved his hand as the blast doors closed behind them.
Jack turned towards Sam; he saw Jonas was still standing there too along with a man in a wheel chair.
"General O'Neill, this is Professor Avidan Udo. Professor Udo, this is General Jack O'Neill." Sam introduced them.
Avidan gave Jack a weak nod. He had been though a lot for a man of his age. There were still bruise marks on the side of his face from being hit during one of his interrogations.
"A pleasure to meet you, Sir." Jack looked at Sam and Jonas. "You two, go hit the showers, I'll bring Professor Udo down to the infirmary."
"Yes, Sir." Sam nodded as she looked between the men present. She walked several steps before stopping to wait for Jonas.
Jonas placed his hand on Avidan's shoulder. "I'll be with you as soon as I can."
Avidan nodded, he could barely stand their stench as well. It was taking most of concentration not to gag from it.
Jack walked around and took hold of the wheel chair. "Oh, Carter, set the debriefing for 0800 tomorrow morning."
Sam nodded, "Yes, Sir."
Jonas joined her and they walked out together.
Sam turned towards him, "are you okay with leaving him?"
Jonas shook his head, as they walked though the blast doors and into the hallway. "Not really..."
Siler came out of the Control Room, and froze as he was hit with the smell of fecal matter. He blinked and shook it off. "Col. Carter, I have run the diagnostic on the Gate again, and there is no evidence to support what happed to the Gate the other day. I have also run every single test that I could think of, along with going over the records of known Gate activity. I simply can not find out what went wrong."
Sam looked straight a head as she thought for a moment, "It could have been the Langaran Gate that caused the disturbance..." She looked at Jonas, "do you know if your people have been running any type of tests on their Gate lately?"
Jonas's brows came together as he thought about it. "No, the only world we really ever have contact with is Earth. We don't have an Iris or enough funds to mass-produce MALPs for exploration purposes. Our Gate normally remains pretty dormant."
"Should I run another diagnostic, Sir?" Siler wasn't looking forward to doing that again, but he wanted to make sure that a glitch didn't occur while a team was coming in hot.
"Why don't you ask Kyna for help since..." He almost slipped saying since her people built the gates. "Since she seems to know a lot about all different kinds of technologies."
Siler looked at him, he didn't know who she was.
Sam slightly winced. "I didn't want to have to ask her." She was going to say more when the blast doors opened.
Jack was pushing the wheelchair, "What's the hold up folks?"
Sam crossed her arms and then started to rub her neck. "Siler was just reporting to me on the status of the Gate, Sir."
"Still haven't a clue about what happened to it yet, Siler?" Jack paused several feet away from them.
"No, Sir. But Mr. Quinn was just suggesting that we ask..." Sam cuts Siler off.
"For another opinion, Sir." She had made a slight cutting motion with her fingertips before Jack turned to look at her.
Jonas noticed Sam's signal to Siler.
"Alright then, I want a full report on the situation by 1300 hours tomorrow. I don't want to send any teams off world until I know that it won't do it again." Jack nodded and then continued to walk with Avidan.
The three of them stepped out of his way as he reached the elevator several feet away. It opened and he stepped in.
Sam turned towards Siler, "run the diagnostic again, and try to think if there was anything that could have been missed. See if the frequency of the radio waves entering the event horizon had anything to do with it."
Siler nodded, and then walked back into the control room.
Jonas waited until he had left, "Sam, can I ask you something?" They walked the several feet towards the elevator and pressed the button to use it.
"Sure, Jonas." She looked both ways down the hall.
"What does Jack have against Kyna? She seems to be a nice enough person." Jonas frowned.
Sam smirked, "I heard that you've been spending all of your free time with her, while she's been on the base." She looked down and shook her head as the elevator door opened.
They both stepped in.
"There really isn't anything wrong with that, our offices are next to each other. She tends to be the first person I see when I go there." Jonas was doing his best to mask his feelings for her.
"The thing is," She paused as the door closed and the elevator started to move. "We're all a bit intimidated by her, and to some degree I don't think that General O'Neill completely trusts her."
"Why do you say that?" Jonas was curious.
"Well..." Sam couldn't go into details. "Let's just say that..." Sam pressed her lips together, "she basically appeared out of no where. If you notice, she's not even a PhD."
"I can understand that, she told me that she grew up in the mountains of southern Poland, and was mostly self educated." Jonas didn't want to give away that he knew more than that. Jonas hated putting Sam on the spot, but it seemed like this was going to be the only chance that he was going to get to ask her, "if General O'Neill doesn't trust her, and your reluctant to ask her to help you with the Gate, then why bother keeping her around?"
"It's not that I'm reluctant, I just don't know if she'll help or not. I know it doesn't hurt to ask, but still..." she shook her head. "And besides that she doesn't have clearance to work with that equipment..." Jack at told her that he only wanted Kyna near the Gate when it was necessary. He didn't even want her to go into the Control Room since most of the staff didn't know what she was. There were rumors of course, but no one had ever gone up and asked her.
Jonas shrugged, "Well, General O'Neill came around for me, I hope he does the same for her." The door opened and they walked out.
Sam stepped out into the hall and turned when Jonas didn't follow.
Jonas winced he forgot that he had the memory device still on, "you know I forgot to tell Professor Udo something."
"Oh? Well I'm going to go a head then." Sam gave him a smile before walking away.
"Okay, I'll talk to you later." The elevator door closed, and then he pressed the button for level twenty-one.
SGC - Infirmary
"I think that the next time I do this, I should do the stress test first. This way I'm not stressed out from being a lab rat all day long." Kyna said half jokingly as she walked out of one of the labs and into the infirmary.
Kate stopped and tilted her head as she looked at her, "I don't think of you as a lab rat." She crossed her arms in front of her chest. With a serious look on her face she said, "no, more of a lab mouse." She then snorted as she started to giggle.
"You had me going there for a moment." Kyna shook her head. She sighed at least she didn't have to wear the white scrubs for the stress test. Instead she was wearing her normal exercising shorts and tank.
"Don't worry, I am going to recommend that we only run all of these nasty tests on you once a month for the next six months and then once a year after that." Katrina adjusted her clipboard in her hands. "I don't think it's fair to you to do this so often. As far as I can tell there haven't been any drastic changes on any of the tests. Although I did notice something new on your MRI... and a change in your white cell count."
"Something new on the MRI...?" Kyna chewed on her lower lip, she wondered if it had anything to do with her telekinetic slip. She shook her head, "I haven't really had the opportunity to explore everything that I can do, and perhaps it is just an extension of that. Or it could mean that I'm now able to access different areas of the repository that I had not been able to when I first downloaded it into my brain."
"You're likely right, new neuropath ways form as the brain develops. And quite frankly your brain chemistry is different then everyone else's. I can't tell what it should be doing or what it should look like." She took her reading glasses off her nose and folded them in her free hand. "I'm going to go though with the recommendation anyway. I just want you to promise me that if you feel not quite like yourself, to come and see me."
"Great! And don't worry, I promise that I will." Kyna was glad to hear that, although it was just Katrina's recommendation. She hoped that the people in charge will listen to her. She tilted her head and turned around hearing someone enter the infirmary.
Jack came in with Professor Udo. "Dr. Viola, I want you to give this man the best medical care possible."
"Yes, Sir, of course." She placed down Kyna's file and her clipboard, and then she put back on her glasses.
Professor Udo raised his head as he looked at the two women before him. He recognized Kyna right a way. He raised his hand and pointed towards her, "You, I remember you. You're that pretty girl from class. I'd never seen Jonas look at anyone quite the way he looked at you. He even ran after you when you left. I bet you didn't know that." He shook his head, and tried to stand.
"Oh, no! Professor Udo, please don't stand. You need your rest." She went and crouched down next to him. She then placed a hand on his forearm as to reassure him that he was in good hands. She looked up at Katrina. "This is my good friend, Katrina. She's going to help you feel better, Sir."
Katrina took out her flashlight and then started to check his pupils, "are you in any physical pain right now?"
Professor Udo blinked, "I just ache all over. I have a few bruises and I'm really hungry. They tried to treat me the best that they could before we left to come here, but we lack the ability to look inside the body to make sure that everything is running, as it should. Besides that, there were so many young men with injuries from siege on the terrorist side that they needn't be bothered with an old man like me."
"Wait a second and back up there." Jack rubbed his chin; "you two know each other already?"
Kyna looked up at Jack, "If you read my report... I wrote down that after Professor Lymnal abandoned me, I went and sat in on a class. I had hopped that he would have come looking for me, but he never did."
"Rotten Lymnal, that arrogant..." Avidan shook his head, "I won't curse in front of you. But he's responsible for what happened to me. They tried to use me as bait to get to Jonas. Oh! But my boy showed him. He stunned him with that electric gun of his."
Katrina spoke up, "that's enough for right now. I'm going to have a full body scan done on you to determine the extent of the damage. I'll also send for the proper food to be brought here. Your stomach lining is likely to be a little weak... I'm assuming that they didn't feed you very well?"
Avidan shook his head, "a bowl of soup each morning. Some times that nice man, Blue Agent, would bring me a sandwich." He closed his eyes as he thought about how long he had been there, "I must have been there for about two weeks."
Katrina nodded, and then motioned for one of the nurses to come over to them. "I want you to help prep Professor Udo for a full examination."
The nurse nodded, "will do, Dr. Viola." He moved behind the wheel chair and pushed it to the opposite side of the room.
Kyna stood up, as she watched the elderly man being wheeled away. "I hope he'll be alright." She knew how much he meant to Jonas. She felt bad that he had been hurt like that, while at the same time she felt just as bad because Jonas hadn't told her why he was going to go 'visit' Professor Udo.
"He'll have the best care that this planet can offer, Dior." Jack stuffed his hands into his pockets. He gave her a half smile before turning and then he stopped. "I want you to stop into my office around 0700 tomorrow morning."
Kyna nodded as she wondered what that was going to be about. "I'll be there."
"Good." Jack walked completely out of the infirmary.
Kyna looked at Kat, "if you need any help with him, just let me know."
Kate nodded, "I will." She picked up her folder and clipboard. "But first I want you to get some rest as well. And while you're at it, go get something to eat.
Jonas came jogging into the infirmary. "Dr. Viola!" He saw that she was about to walk away, so he wanted to make sure he stopped her before she did. He also saw Kyna standing there as well. "Hi... um..." He saw the looks on their faces, "sorry about the smell. I must have stepped in something..."
Kyna concentrated on turning down her sense of smell, "did you remember anything?"
"Nothing that will help us out all that much. There was one instance that I can recall following Sam to a wall. She touched it and it opened for her, she called it 'Ancient Deshian Technology'..." He turned his head towards Katrina. "It defiantly looked like it was in the SGC.
She pulled out the device that allowed her to take it off. "We don't have any of that technology here."
"And I haven't shown anyone that. I haven't even brought anyone to Deshi, so Sam would never have seen any of that technology." Kyna crossed her arms in front of her chest. She didn't like how Jonas was remembering things that never even happened.
He rubbed the spot where the device had been once it was off. "Sam did look a little older." He shrugged, "I'm going to go shower. I'll be back down here after that."
About Two Hours Later
Professor Udo silently slept in one of the Infirmary beds, while Kyna sat next to him as she worked on the shielding equation. She was now wearing the SGC uniform that she had worn that morning.
Jonas walked into the Infirmary, and then paused when he saw Avidan and Kyna. He was glad that Avidan looked like he was sleeping peacefully, and he was grateful that she had stayed by his side.
Dr. Viola was doing paperwork at one of the desks. She looked up when she heard him walk in. She then quickly stood and made her way over to where he was standing.
"How's he doing, Dr. Viola?" Jonas said in a low voice. He didn't want to wake Avidan up.
"Well, he has a fractured rib, a few superficial cuts, several second degree burns and bruising, but from what I can tell, he should make a full recovery." She glanced over to Avidan, and then back to Jonas. She didn't mention the fact that there was already old scarred tissue present. "I've given him a sedative to help him rest; when he wakes up I'll give him a low dose of morphine along with other medication to reduce the swelling."
Jonas nodded; he was going to make a full recovery, that's what mattered most to him at this point. He walked over to the bed and looked down at him.
Kyna closed her notebook. "He's been sleeping for the past half hour. They were saying that he handled himself well considering what he went though."
Jonas swallowed, "It's not the first time that he was held like that. During the last war that besieged our planet he was taken prisoner along with my father. They were held for several months until a prisoner exchange was negotiated."
"Oh, Jonas, I'm sorry to hear that. It must have been terrible for you." Her brows came together as she thought about what they must have gone though during that time.
Jonas shook his head, as he held a distant look in his eyes. "I knew my father was in the military, and that he was away fighting in the war. I didn't know that he was a prisoner of war. However my mother did. At the time she was working as a doctor on the military base. She would go for days at a time without eating properly, and would work double shifts to keep her mind off of what was going on."
"That's not healthy..." She ultimately knew where he was going with his story, but she knew that he had to say it to make some sort of peace with his past.
"You're right, it wasn't." Jonas sighed, "by the time my father and Avidan were released, the damage was already done. She had worn herself out so terribly that she soon became ill, and died after that. My father was extremely grief ridden, he had his own injuries to contend with, but without my mother he gave up... They told me that he died of a heart attack..." But he always felt that it had been the grief that had killed him; the heart attack was just a minor catalyst.
Kyna got up from her chair and quickly went over to him. She placed her hand on his arm.
Jonas's eyes left Avidan, and he looked down into her violet eyes. There was no pity, but instead what he saw in them was understanding, affection, and concern. He cupped the side of her face with his other hand. "I'm alright, really. I just hadn't thought about them in a long time... that memory device; it brought back one of my happiest memories of them. I'm grateful for it."
She gave him a weak smile; "tell me about it?"
Jonas dropped his hand, "well..." He thought for a moment to remember how old he was. "I must have been either nine or ten. It was the annual Spring Harvest Festival. Even though the war was going on, my parents some how found a way to come and spend the day with me. I was so thrilled that I dragged my father around the city to find some flowers for my mother..."
Daniel was on his way into the infirmary when he stopped in the doorway. He saw the way Jonas and Kyna were looking at each other while talking softly to one another. He tilted his head, and was about to turn around to come back later when he heard his name.
"Dr. Jackson?" Kate had just returned to the desk, but upon seeing Daniel enter she got up again.
Daniel pressed his lips together, "Dr. Viola, is Dr. Carmichael here?"
Katrina shook her head, "no, he went off duty about an hour before your return. I can help you with anything that you may need."
"No, I think that I would rather discuss the matter with Dr. Carmichael." He crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"Well, he won't be in until noon tomorrow. I could leave a message for him if you like." She smiled.
Daniel slightly winced; he uncrossed his arms and let them fall to his sides. "That won't be necessary. I'll just come back then." He turned and left.
Kat stood there for a moment as she watched him leave. She tapped her fingers tips on the side of her leg as she wondered what he wanted to speak to Dr. Carmichael about.
Kyna walked up behind her, "was that Daniel?"
"It was..." Katrina turned and shrugged. "He wanted to speak to Dr. Carmichael."
"About what?" Kyna wondered why he didn't come over and say hello to her.
"I'm not sure, but what ever it was I don't have a good feeling about it." She turned and looked at her.
"Do you want me to go and ask him about it?" She tilted her head as she asked her.
Kat shook her head, as she looked at the clock on the wall. "He's on his way out. It can wait until the morning."
Kyna nodded slowly. She turned around and went to go sit with Jonas once more.
The Next Morning - 0650
Jonas was up and about early that morning. He had spent the past two hours sitting by Avidan's side as he slept. Jonas started to feel hungry while he sat with him, so decided to go get a banana from one of the messes.
Kyna walked up behind him and poked him in the ribs, "hey, stocking up before heading back to Langara?"
Jonas turned towards her; he looked tired. "Just getting a snack. That's all." He broke off one of the bananas and handed it to her. He then took one for himself.
"I'll eat to that, even though I just had breakfast." She gave him a smile, and then started to peal the banana. "Were you just coming from the infirmary?"
Jonas pealed his own banana. "Yes, ma'am." He gave her a half smile, "now I got to go to a meeting with General O'Neill."
Kyna had taken a huge bite of her banana. "Wait a second." She said with her mouth full. She quickly chewed and swallowed, "I'm meeting Jack at 0700."
Jonas finished chewing a bite of his banana. He eyebrows came together, "he wants to meet with both of us at the same time?"
"I bet that Dr. Thatcher said something about you being at my house when he attacked me." She quickly ate the rest of the banana and then threw the peal away in the near by garbage can.
"That's not good. Although the man is crazy, do you think that they will honestly believe him?" Jonas finished his banana as well and then threw out the peal as well.
"If he's crazy or not, that doesn't matter. The bottom line is that now I'm going to tell Jack about your visits..." She turned and then walked over to the table where she had eaten her breakfast. She picked up her lab top and then put it in its case before turning and walking back to Jonas with it hanging on her shoulder.
"I thought that no one was to know about the method to which I traveled over there," he said in a low voice after she rejoined him.
"They're not. However, I do have the letter signed by the President and General Hammond." She pressed her lips together as they walked pass a table that had several people sitting at it. "The best thing that I can think of is to tell him the entire truth. Which includes the Tok'ra Memory Device. The only thing about that is that I will say that I gave it to you. There is no need for Dr. Viola to get into trouble because of it."
"What if she's there as well?" He asked her as they reached the elevator. "For all we know Jack may have questioned her already."
"Well... then I guess the truth will have to do..." She took in a deep breath and then let it out slowly as the elevator doors opened. They stepped inside it.
Jonas pushed the button for the correct floor.
Kyna adjusted her shoulder bag. She didn't like the awkward silence so she looked up at him and asked, "When do you think that you will be returning home?"
He raised his brows as he rubbed his chin. "Well, that depends on when the doctors here give Avidan a clean bill of health." The elevator door opened and they stepped out. "My guess would be in a day or two."
"Is it alright if I help you pack since I don't know when I'm going to be seeing you again." She walked by his side as they moved though the hallway.
"Sure, I'd like that." He knocked on Jack's door when they finally reached it.
"It's open!" Jack called from inside the office.
Jonas opened the door. "You wanted to see us, General O'Neill?"
"Ah, yes, just the two kids I was waiting for." He closed the folder that he was looking at and then stood. "Why don't we take this into the Briefing Room." He picked up a small pile of folders that held VHS tapes in them.
Kyna nodded slowly and then took the lead. She moved though the office and out the doorway into the Briefing Room.
Jonas followed her past Jack's desk and into the Briefing Room as well. The sat down at the same time.
Kyna reached down into her bag and pulled out the letter that she had gotten from the President. She placed them on her lap so that if she needed to, she could easily pass it to Jack.
Jack walked into the Briefing Room and placed his folders on the table. He looked up and then used the remote to turn the video recorder on. "Now, kids, there is so much crap that we have to go over about your activities of late that I just don't know where to begin."
Kyna really wanted to say, how about at the beginning, but she held her tongue.
"Well, I'm guessing that since both of us are here you are concerned about what we've done together. So, let me see, the first time I saw her was during a lecture that I was speaking at. She came down the stairs after class and pointed out a mistake in the Naquadria equation. I turned to look at it, and when I went to look back at her she was gone. No name, or where she was from, she just got up and left." He turned and looked at her as he sat back in his chair.
"I knew that I shouldn't linger any longer then I did. It was obvious to me at this point that I needed to get back. I really should have just asked Jonas for directions, but I guess I didn't want to have to answer any questions that I wasn't sure that I had the authority to answer." She swallowed as she watched Jack sit, "I guess my spatial skills are lacking because when I left the University I tired to retrace my steps. It didn't work, I got lost and then when I tired to radio Col. Carter, nothing happened."
"Did you check to make sure that the radio was working at any time before this point on the mission?" Jack watched her carefully.
Kyna shook her head, "I didn't think of trying it up until that point. If I had to do it again, I would have made sure that it was working before I left the SGC. I guess that I just assumed that it would work."
"Why didn't you use it when you realized that Professor Lymnal had left you in the University and that he wasn't coming back?" Jack finished writing a note in one of the folders.
"I'm not sure, I just didn't think about it. The lights went out and the hall was empty. I thought I saw someone enter on the opposite side of the hall so I tried to find out who it was, but when I got there they were gone. That's when I decided to leave. However when I was on my way out of the building I saw students entering a lecture hall, and became curious. I'd never attended school before, so I thought that I would just sit in for a while. I became completely absorbed in the atmosphere and before I knew it the lecture was over." Her cheeks became slightly flushed. She thought to herself that she had become completely absorbed in Jonas since he had been talking about his experiences.
"The whole lights going out in the hall way wasn't in your report." Jack tapped the pen on the desk.
"I didn't think that it was important at the time to include it." She said quietly.
"So, what happened after you left the University, Dior? Did you just wonder around until the Asgard came and picked you up?" Jack looked down at his folder and then back up at her.
Kyna thought for a moment, "No, I stopped after a while, my head started to ache. That's around the time when I thought I heard someone come up behind me. They told me not to turn around, I asked them whom they were and they said that it didn't matter... That's when Thor beamed me aboard The Jacob Carter."
"That wasn't in your report either." Jack tilted his head as he looked at her. "Didn't you think that it was important to mention that you were being stocked and then threatened?"
"I...I'm sorry." She shook her head; she was terribly embarrassed. "I didn't see a connection between the two instances at the time. Nor did I think that they were important to mention because that man could have been anyone from there."
"Well, Dr. Thatcher confessed to being there in both cases. He also confessed to following you home several times. He then mentioned that as soon as he saw the shield fall around your place, that he went right up to the door and you then opened the door. He said that he came in, shot you with a Zat, and then dragged you by your hair into the kitchen." Jack sounded bored as he read the list of what Dr. Thatcher claimed to have done "He then claims that cut your face with a knife and then was attacked. He insists that there was a struggle for the knife and that other man, who he identified as Jonas Quinn, was stabbed in the abdomen. That was the last thing that he remembers. Could either one of you explain to me why he would come up with such a story?" Jack sounded annoyed. He remembered that was after he told Jonas to stay away from her. Although what annoyed him even more is that when he checked the books, Jonas was still on the base. Which left him to investigate even more.
Jonas and Kyna looked at each other. Jonas then looked back at Jack, "what he said is true. We fought; I slipped on some broken glass and fell backwards. The knife went into me, right here." He rubbed the spot on his abdomen. "That's when Kyna came too, she knocked Thatcher out. She then came over and healed the wound. I don't know what amazed me more, being healed or seeing the cut on her face disappear."
"There is no record of you leaving the base." Jack took a deep breath.
"Jack... General O'Neill, before we go any further with this, you should have a look at this letter." Kyna slid the letter across the table.
Jack took the letter and then opened it. He carefully read it though, twice before looking up at them.
"I accidentally activated it the first morning that I was here. I couldn't sleep so I went to go look at my fish in her office." Jonas said in a matter of fact type of manner.
"Yes, and that could have been avoided if I had the privilege of having an access code pad on my door like everyone else." She stressed the word privilege; she then turned towards Jonas. "Although, it was nice eating breakfast with you." She gave him a sincere smile.
Jack ignored her statement for the moment, and then asked another question. "How many times did you use the rings to go over to her place?"
Jonas took his eyes off of Kyna and then turned back towards Jack, "Twice, the first day by accident, and then the day that she was attacked. During the morning we made plans to have dinner together since she had been away for the past week. When I arrived at her house, I couldn't get what you said to me off my mind so I confronted her about it."
"I recall you tried to trick me. You told me that Jack explained to you already that I'm an Ancient. I was shocked because Jack and I had an agreement that no one would find out about that unless I was present when they were told." She sounded a bit annoyed about that.
"That's when I told her the opposite. I couldn't believe that she actually was crazy. Just my luck too..." Jonas shook his head. "I then left, and went down to where the platform was in the cellar. However I didn't leave just yet. I had washed my hands when I first got there, and that's when I remembered that I had left my ring in her bathroom. So, I went upstairs only to find Dr. Thatcher holding a knife over her."
Jack nodded slowly. He then sat forward. "I'm glad that you two are being so open and honest about everything that happened." He pushed one folder in front of them. "This one is the transcript and the tape of Dr. Thatcher's interrogation." He pushed another one forward. "This is the security footage of Ms. Dior's office. I had a camera installed in there when Col. Carter brought it to my attention that the radio had been sabotaged." There was still one more folder left in front of him. "The only thing that I don't get is how did Dr. Thatcher reach your front door? He claims that there was an earthquake." Jack sounded doubtful.
"Now that you mention it, I felt house shake around me for two or three seconds while I was leaving." Jonas rubbed his chin as he thought about it.
Kyna remained silent as she looked down at her lap.
"I bet you had something to do with that, didn't you Dior?" Jack smirked.
After several moments of silence, her eyes darted up, and she looked Jack in the eyes. "Despite what some people from this planet my comprehend. I do experience the same types of emotions as everyone else."
"No one ever accused you of otherwise. So, what's your point?" Jack kept his eyes locked with hers.
"The point is that I was very angry General O'Neill. I've never been angry like that before in my entire life. I was so angry that I could not contain it, so I let it go. As a result a branch broke off of one of the trees outside and it landed on one of the shield generators, and that is why the shield fell." She crossed her arms in front of her chest as if she were protecting herself.
"So, you can make earthquakes when you're pissed off?" Jack sat forward in his chair. He found that hard to believe.
Kyna sighed, "It was more like a telekinetic slip..."
Walter knocked on the door to the Briefing Room. "Excuse me, Sir, you have a call."
Jack turned towards Walter. "We're busy Sergeant. Have them call me back."
"I'm sorry, Sir, but it's the President and he told me that he wants to speak to you now." Walter hated being in the middle of these types of things.
Jack stood and then he picked up the folders, "Excuse me for a moment folks. I'll be right back." He turned the video camera off with the remote control. Next, he went into his office and then closed the door.
Kyna took in a deep breath and then sat back in her chair as she slowly let it out. She turned her head towards Jonas and gave him a weak smile. "How do you think we're doing?"
Jonas gently patted her hand, "not too bad." He looked only slightly worried. He shifted his eyes from her and towards Jack. "I wonder what they are talking about."
Kyna looked at Jonas and then she gazed at Jack, she then looked back at Jonas once more. "Do you really want to know?"
"I wouldn't mind." Jonas shrugged.
"Only for you Jonas, but what ever you do, please try not to breath too loudly." She turned her violet eyes towards the table and then she started to stare straight a head.
"What are you doing?" Jonas whispered.
"Shhh! Sorry, but please don't shout!" She concentrated as hard as she could to allow her hearing to adjust. Voices and the buzzing of machines flooded her ears from the Control Room. She tilted her head towards Jack's Office and then listened for his voice while she adjusted how loud she wanted to hear him in her ears.
"...Yes, sir, the mission was successful. We were able to help save the civilian that got caught in the middle."
"It looks like the Langarans owe us a big one."
"That's two big ones, Sir. Remember we saved their butts the last time that they got into trouble. Not to mention that we helped them stop that medical epidemic from happening." Jack said with a bit of annoyance in his voice.
"Well, I think it is safe to say that our friend was really the one that was responsible for that last one. Anyway, Jack, I want you to stress to start negotiations again for the Naquadria. Col. Carter is also to begin on the plans for the construction of Naquadria generators. I also want an idea about how much implementing a total global shield will cost, and the best way to integrate Naquadria with the shields."
"We're all ready on that, Sir. Carter submitted plans for the construction of a generator several days ago. As for the shields, as long as our friend is the one that builds the generators, it will get done. Otherwise there really isn't anyone else, including Col. Carter that has any clue about what her scribbles mean. However it is my hope that she will eventually figure out how to make it work so that we can actually use them, and to stop wasting time trying to figure them out."
The President paused for several seconds, "We may have to have our psychologists come up with a way for her to evaluate the situation differently if what you're saying is that she is just leading us by the nose without ever producing any kind of solid results."
"I don't think that will be necessary, Sir. I think her efforts have been sincere."
"Sincere or not, I noticed that at least five percent of the SGC budget for next year is specifically for her. The food bill alone has increased even with all the transfers. Not to mention all the medical tests. Tell your doctors to start to cut back on them."
"Understood, Sir, is there anything else that I can do for you?"
"The Pentagon has decided to post pone the completion of the Daedalus, and focus to fixing the Prometheus. However with the budget restrains that will take more than six months."
"What about Dr. Weir and her team, Sir? Shouldn't our priority be to rescue them?" Jack sound extremely concerned.
"Of course it should be, Jack. But they have been gone for several months, if they haven't learned how to survive out there by now, then it is likely that they are all ready dead..."
"HEY GUYS..." Daniel came into the Briefing Room. He wanted to speak to Jack before the debriefing, so he arrived there early.
Kyna clasped her hands to her ears and gasped for air. Tears came to her eyes as Daniel's voice echoed loudly in her ears.
At first Daniel's brows came together as he saw her reaction. He quickly went to where Jonas's chair was and crouched down.
Jonas had been watching her carefully. He wasn't entirely sure about what she was doing, but he had a feeling that he wouldn't be witness to it that often. His eyes widened as he heard Daniel's voice as well. Of course to him it sounded normal, but from her earlier comments, he was only able to guess that to her it sounded completely different. Upon seeing her reaction, Jonas quickly pulled her head into his chest to muffle all the noise.
Kyna tried to pull away as she shook her head. The beating of his heart was like a drum pounding in her brain.
"Breath," he barely made any sound. "Kyna look into my eyes." He waited for her to lift them, "focus on what you need to do. Breath, you'll be alright."
Daniel looked between the two of them. He wondered what had just happened, but he knew that apparently Jonas was aware to some extent of what should be done. "Per..."
Kyna reached over towards him and placed her fingers on Daniel's lips to silence him. She then put her hand back on her ear.
Daniel was even more confused now then he was before.
After a moment, she blinked, and then let her hands drop. "Serves me right for ease dropping." She looked over at Daniel. "I'm sorry, but I was trying to hear what Jack and the President were talking about. I know it was wrong to do, but since both Jonas and I have been painting a picture of what we have been doing the last two weeks, I wanted to make sure that he will prepared for what they sincerely want from his government."
"What did they say?" Jonas asked; he was speaking at a normal volume once more.
"Basically that your government owes the American one." She frowned. She had hoped that her good deed would not come back to haunt Jonas and his people, but apparently it seems like they will want to cash in on it anyway.
Even though Daniel didn't like the idea that she was ease dropping on a private conversation, what he didn't like even more is that she was capable of doing it. He did his best to not let his displeasure show on his face. "The only thing that I can think of that our government would want for Jonas's is the Naquadria or Naquada."
"The problem is that most of the Naquadria that we have has almost been completely depleted. I was going to suggest to the Joint Council that we put all our figures of how much Naquadria we have left together into one Joint collection. This way all three nations can have an equal share of it."
"Do we have the dimensions of your planet in our files?" Something that the President said gave her an idea.
"I think so, why do you want to know?" Jonas and Daniel exchanged looks.
"Well, if there was only one shield to worry about, then all of the governments of your world would have to work together. The same thing could be done for Earth, however the power output would be huge. There are other elements that could be substituted for Naquadria since it is not natural to this galaxy. However, as far as I know most of those other elements are pretty rare as well." Kyna sat back in her chair as she tried to think of alternatives. She started to twirl a piece of hair around one of her fingers as she thought about it.
"What about a ZPM? Do you know where any of those are located that have energy left in them. Using one could work, couldn't it? Or perhaps you could construct a few?" Daniel sounded hopeful.
Jonas shook his head, "That would be going against her 'anti sharing overly advance technology' policy."
Daniel's brows came together as he looked at Jonas; at first he wasn't entirely sure if he knew about her being an Ancient. In fact he had forgotten that there might have been a chance that it had never even been mentioned to him before. Although now he was pretty sure that Jonas knew more about her than anyone else on the base.
Kyna's eyes shifted towards Jonas, "you're right it would be against that policy. However, I could teach Sam how to make them. In a few years I'm pretty sure she would be able to make them by herself. Meanwhile I could make the components, without an Ancient Lab the work will be extremely tedious and time consuming. I would try to do it in Deshi, but that city wasn't built for scientific research, it was built more for commerce. While I was away, I went and did a full survey of all the city's systems. More then two thirds of them have been cannibalized to repair the shield and cloak at one point or another and to keep the climate stable along with agricultural production at maximum output over the last two thousand years."
Daniel stood and then grabbed a chair as he thought. He pulled it over so that he could sit in-between them to form a triangle. "A few years? That's a long time, is there anyway that you could cut it down some? Normally I wouldn't pressure you, you know that, but we really need that power source for the shielding plan to work."
"I know Daniel, I know, but you know how I feel about that. If I do anything else I know that I will be hounded for more and more technology. And besides that I don't need anymore scientists stocking and trying to kill me because I put them out of work." She let out a stress filled sigh, "the best date that I could give you is..."
"September 18, 2011." Jonas looked confused and shocked that he said that, but it seemed to just have popped out of his mouth.
Daniel looked confused, "September 18, 2011? Where did that date come from?"
"I... I don't know..." Jonas rubbed the back of his head.
"I was going to say late 2011, Jonas, that is really uncanny. At least now we know..." She stopped herself from saying anything more than that.
Jonas looked at her, as if forgetting that Daniel was still there. "But why that date? Something must have happened, or will happen..."
"Focus on it, did someone say it to you, or did you just know?" Kyna wasn't sure how to proceed with retrieving the memory since her attempted to do it herself failed, but at least she was going to try.
Jonas narrowed his eyes and then he started to rub his head again. "I don't know..."
"Guys, what's..." Daniel stopped talking since Kyna put her fingers on his lips once more to cut him off.
"Try to think of the other pieces that you have recalled. How do they all fit together?" Kyna sat forward with her elbows on her knees and then her hands clasped together.
Tesmindar watched Jonas closely. She narrowed her eyes at her future son-in-law. Apparently her grandson underestimated his father's will power. She could hardly blame the boy since he only knew him as a three year old would.
She knew that if she didn't do something, their plan would be unraveled too early. But if she did do something the others would know and would surely do something to them to prevent the people of the Milky Way from being saved. She shook her head, as she thought to herself. Perhaps one touch, she could just burry the memories further in his subconscious.
Tess stepped forward to move behind Jonas when she felt a hand wrap around her wrist. She turned her head to find her husband standing there shaking his head. "I have to, Jethro."
"No, you don't. Tesmindar, Tessy, if you do this you will be severely punished. They already know all about what happened." Jethro kept his hand firmly locked around her wrist.
Tesmindar shook her head as her chin quivered. She couldn't hold back the tears that started to stream from her eyes. "It's too early... please my love."
Jethro Dior stepped forward and then wrapped his arm around her shoulders as he pulled her head close to his heart. "I'm sorry, but they will have to follow this new path. There is nothing we can do." He stroked her long curly honey blond hair.
"But what about our grandson? If they already know will they stop him from ascending?" She thought of the young Jethro Quinn and how she was surprised when he came to her claiming that he was her grandson. She hardly believed it at first, but when she looked into his eyes she saw Kyna's and knew that what he said was true.
"That depends if he is even going to be born now. Besides that, the circumstances of his life will be completely different now. We can only wait to see what happens..." He turned his head and watched his daughter. He could not even count the amount of times that he had walked along side of her, or sat with her while she was sitting all alone in that city and during her time at the SGC. He refused to risk the others harming her for her son and her mother's actions.
Jonas stared straight a head for several moments as he tried to put the pieces of the puzzle together in his head.
Kyna took out a note pad from her laptop case and started to write down all the different clues that Jonas had given her.
Daniel looked over Kyna's shoulder as she wrote the different memories. He was a little bit confused about how Jonas would remember things that took place in her house, but then again he thought to himself that if it is in the future then anything was possible. "So, let me get this straight. Jonas is having visions of the future. Well, precisely September 18, 2011. You have him at your house, the infirmary, and in the hallway accessing a secret access tunnel."
"That's right," Kyna looked at Jonas, "is there anything else that you may have not mentioned to me yet?"
Jonas shifted his eyes towards her. "There is one little minor detail that I left out of the Infirmary piece."
"What's that?" She tilted her head, as she wondered why he didn't say anything about it sooner.
"You were, well... pregnant." Jonas frowned as he wished that he knew who the father was.
Kyna's eyes widened and then she blinked rapidly, she was very surprised. "That's really something, isn't it? You have no idea how difficult it is for my kind to have children. The window of opportunity is about once a year for several days. I always felt that's why I was an only child."
Daniel looked at all of the pieces again, and then he looked back up to them. "I can see why you were wearing the Tok'ra Memory Device. It looks like something will happen on that date." He tilted his head as he spoke. "Perhaps you're not meant to remember yet. There might be some catalyst that sets off the entire memory."
Kyna sat there with a frown on her face, "I think Daniel's right. Remember I was blocked from accessing the memory. Who knows, maybe if we find out a head of time I might miss the window of opportunity to conceive that child that might ultimately change the course of this world's history. I know it sounds egotistical, but it will be at least half Ancient." She gave Jonas a lopsided smile.
Jonas thought it over for a moment. "You might be right. I'll let it drop for right now. Although if I have more visions I will try to remember them again to see what happens." He shifted his eyes to Daniel, "you knew about the Tok'ra Memory Device?"
"I saw that you were wearing it on the mission, and then in the Gate Room afterwards. It's actually why I was here so early. I wanted to ask Jack about it." Daniel frowned, he was happy that he had not now, but at the same time he wished that Jonas had let them know what was going on from the beginning.
"Really Col. Carter I have no idea what happened to the Gate. For all we know it might have just been a random glitch since it is millions of years old." Siler followed Sam into the Briefing Room.
Daniel looked at his watch, "Five to 0700."
"I should have made myself scarce at least ten minutes ago. Although I'm surprised that not everyone is here yet." Kyna looked around and stood to vacate the seat.
Sam turned to Siler, and shook her head. "There must have been something..."
"Will Gate activity come to a halt, Sir?" Siler looked worried.
Sam shook her head, "I don't think it will. We have too many trading partners out there that I'm sure we won't want to cut lose just yet."
Kyna tilted her head towards Sam and Siler as she heard their conversation. She walked up to them. "Forgive me for ease dropping, but what's wrong with the Gate?"
Siler and Sam exchanged looks. Sam slightly winced; there was no way of not getting her involved now. "Several days ago while we were having a radio conversation with the Langarans, the Event Horizon shut down, and then reappeared. It then shut down once more and then reappeared again. The Langarans didn't seem to notice that anything had happened since they were still talking on the radio."
Kyna's brows came together, "one moment please." She shut her eyes and slightly tilted her head as she looked over the properties of the Stargate in her repository.
Siler looked at her like she was insane.
A moment later, her lids opened. "Ah! It's simple really. You had another galaxy dial in. You see the amount of power that is necessary for another galaxy to open a wormhole is exponentially greater then dialing within the same galaxy. Normally when that happens the one Gate is blocked, but since there is more power coming from another galaxy the current wormhole is temporarily disengaged until the other galaxy's wormhole is disengaged. Being that the event horizon just seemed to turn off and then on and then off and on again was really just the one set of coordinates over powering the other for a moment. Who ever it was, did not maintain their connection. Did that make any sense?"
Sam thought about it while she spoke. "Actually it did."
"You can't prove any of that! Can you?" Siler looked unsure. He had seen the woman around the base but he had no idea what her qualifications were.
"Sure, I would just need a few minutes on one of the computers in the Control Room to do so." She looked at Sam as if she were asking her permission.
Sam was curious so she shrugged. "Go ahead."
"Thank you." Kyna nodded and then headed though the door into the Control Room.
Daniel and Jonas had been listening in to what they were talking about. Both of them followed Sam and Siler into the Control Room.
Jack had just gotten off the phone with the President. He asked Daniel, "What's going on?"
"Kyna's going to figure out what happened to the Gate." Daniel raised his brows.
"Ah, and Carter's okay with this?" Jack walked along side of Daniel.
"Apparently so." Daniel went though the door. He not only found the occupants of the Briefing Room in there, but Teal'c and Major Davis were also president.
Teal'c had noted that upon traveling to the Briefing Room, everyone was moving into the Control Room. So, he decided to join them.
Major Davis had been talking with Walter and was now turning his attention towards the group that was standing around Kyna.
Kyna didn't pay much attention to anyone that was there. She let the Repository take over her actions to a certain degree. First she started to rewrite some of the Gate program so that she could investigate the matter at hand.
"Sir, I don't think she should be doing that." Siler looked concerned.
"It's alright Siler." Jack reassured him.
Siler try to follow what she was doing on the computer, but she was moving her fingers so fast that she was able to input several pages of binary code within a minute.
Sam too was watching what she was doing and was reminded of the time when Jack rewrote the computer system.
Within another several moments, Kyna was completed. On the computer screen popped up a GDO. Her brows came together as she noted to herself that the Wormhole originated in the Pegasus Galaxy. She shook her head and then entered several more commands as she read the data that was popping up on the screen. "It's a message..."
Paul watched one of the monitors as the GDO popped up. "What type of message?"
Kyna started to type again, "It seems to be some sort of high compression data burst. This is going to take several moments to decompress."
Sam looked over her shoulder and saw that Jack was standing only a foot behind her. "Sir that's Atlantis's GDO. That means that they're alive!"
Jonas was in hearing range of what Sam said to Jack. Just hearing the word, 'Atlantis' brought upon him another vision. He saw before his eyes Kyna as she stood in one of her silky nightgowns next to the bed in her room. She was telling him about how they were going to test the new ZPM, and that she was excited that she would soon be able to visit Atlantis.
Meanwhile, Jack asked Sam, "Can you decompress the material in that computer?"
"Not as fast as she can, Sir. But I'm sure that I could do it." Sam frowned.
"That's all I needed to know." Jack raised his voice, "Dior, let Carter take care of it, you've done your bit. You should probably be getting something to eat."
Kyna put her hands on her lap and frowned. She only had to press the enter key. "I'm basically done."
Jonas blinked out of his vision. "General O'Neill is right, Kyna."
Kyna started to pout. "But all I have to do is press this button." She pressed it anyway. Before her and on the monitors that littered the room mission reports and blueprints of Atlantis and the Puddle Jumpers popped up. The last image was that of a Wraith. Within a moment the video recordings began to play.
Her eyes had been able to skim most of the information that flickered across the screens. She had a good idea about what they were talking about, but it was when she saw the image of the Wraith that her blood froze in her veins.
Jack narrowed his eyes, "What the hell is that?"
"I don't know, but I sure don't want to meet one." Daniel crossed his arms in front of his chest.
On the screen, Dr. Weir appeared and began to speak. Kyna didn't hear a word that she said. As if in a daze she just stood then stumbled out of the Control Room and into the hall where she regurgitated whatever she had left in her stomach.
Most of the people in the Control Room didn't notice her leave; they just stared at the monitors that were projecting Dr. Weir.
"Carter, stop the program. I want you and Teal'c to go over everything that's there and report to me afterwards. Siler assist them. Walter, call Viola have her report to the Briefing Room, then help them sift though all of that information." Jack saw Jonas already following Kyna out, so he shifted his gaze towards Paul and Daniel. "Major Davis, Daniel go to the Briefing Room and wait there."
"Shouldn't I help them?" Daniel's brows came together, he was very interested in what they sent from Atlantis.
"Later." Jack turned and walked out into the hall while Daniel and Paul went into the Briefing Room.
In the hallway, Jonas and reached Kyna and was holding her in his arms. He saw Jack approach them, "she's in shock."
Jack noticed and then started to feel bad about it, so he decided not to be rude. He walked over to her and put his hand on her shoulder. "It's going to be okay, Dior."
She tilted her head up at him, "no it's not!" She hissed at him.
"She's right." Jonas lifted her up in his arms. He still wasn't able to see the entire memory of what will happen on September 18, 2011, but he knew that it wasn't good. In his heart, Jonas knew that the time line had already been altered, and that he wasn't sure if the outcome would still be the same.
"Viola's on her way, bring her into the Briefing Room." Jack took a step back as he let Jonas go first into the Briefing Room with Kyna in his arms.
Kyna had withdrawn into herself. So many things were going though her mind that she couldn't keep focus. It wasn't until Jonas had placed her down in a chair that she even knew that he had carried her in there. The next thing she was aware of was that Kate started to check her pupils with that damn flashlight of hers.
Jonas remained by her side. "Is she coming out of it?"
"Her color is returning, and her pupils are starting to return to their normal size." Kate started to check her heart rate. She was concerned about her friend. Katrina knew that there was something that happened to cause her to go into shock, but she wasn't sure what it was.
Kyna blinked several times. "I'm alright, Katrina, please stop fussing." She rubbed the bridge of her nose with her fingertips as she closed her eyes. "Who's brilliant idea was it to go to Atlantis?"
Katrina's eyes widen a bit as she heard what she had said. Originally Katrina was going to go with the expedition team to Atlantis, but the day before they left she had a family emergency and was unable to go.
Daniel raised a brow, "Why?"
"While they were loading, I was able to skim though the mission reports... I wish you never sent anyone there..." Kyna frowned.
"Please enlighten us to why you're upset that we sent a team to Atlantis." Jack tried to keep his normal nonchalant look on his face, but since he saw the way she reacted. He hoped that their people over there were still safe.
"Well, according to all the initial reports, they stated that they woke up the enemy of the Ancients by mistake when they went on a rescue mission. They call them the Wraith; their only source of nourishment it the life force of humans, Ancients and their own kind. There must be thousands if not millions of people in Pegasus being taken captive and being feed upon as we speak. They are on their way to Atlantis, and after that they're coming to the Milky Way and straight to Earth."
"For crying out loud! We just beat the Goa'uld and the Replicators, now we have to deal with this too!" Jack stood and started to walk around the room.
Katrina gripped her heart; she couldn't believe what she was hearing.
Jonas was shaking his head, from what he knew from his visions, something must have happened to prevent them from coming sooner. He didn't know much about Atlantis, but from what he was able to observe, he would bet that was the Lost City. Which he admitted to himself that would make sense, since when he was doing research on Earth, one of the only cities that were considered to be lost was in fact, Atlantis.
Paul watched all of their reactions. He knew that he was going to have to go into great detail about their new situation when he returned to the Pentagon. He just prayed that they could still negotiate for Asgard hyper engines to be installed on the Daedalus. He just hoped that he would be able to convince them to complete the ship now instead of delaying the project further. "Kyna, how much can you tell us about these Wraith?"
Kyna shifted her eyes towards Paul. "Not much, the mission reports would be more helpful then I." She quickly begun to explain, why she didn't know that much about them. "My repository only holds records up to the Era of the Plague. Even that, the information is contradictory in certain instances. The records of the building of Atlantis are there. Beyond that anything that happened afterwards has been lost or forgotten over time. I'm sorry, I wish that I could be more help."
"Do you know if your ancestors left any records of their time in Pegasus anywhere on Earth?" Daniel asked. He didn't want to say anything about the time traveling ship just yet.
Kyna looked down at her feet while she thought about everything that her grandmother had taught her.
Jonas thought as well. He tried to probe his memory of the future as best as he could, but nothing new was coming to the surface.
"At best I would guess that if they left any records it would have been at the sight of their return though the Stargate. Perhaps there is some information in Antarctica under all the ice." Kyna continued to frown; she hadn't the heart to lift her eyes to look at them.
"What about the Egyptian Gate? That was located on the Giza Plato, right? I remember seeing a special on TV that talked about how one archeologist believed that under the Sphinx there is a library left there by the Atlantians. It's possible, isn't it?" Katrina looked around table. She wasn't sitting in any of the chairs since she was mainly there to help Kyna.
"Now that you mention it, I've heard of that theory about the Sphinx as well. Unfortunately, the underground chambers are completely flooded with water, and have been deemed as unstable." Daniel's brows came together.
"Quick question, if there was a library, or rather a repository under the Sphinx, what would have given it power to work?" Jack looked at Daniel as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"A ZPM..." Daniel tilted his head as he thought about it. They had received word about one being found in a dig near Giza and were awaiting its arrival.
"Why don't we sweep the entire planet for energy patterns that are similar to ZPMs, this way we would know if there are any other repositories lying about," suggested Jonas.
"We wouldn't be able to do something like that unless it was done by Prometheus. Our government only controls a certain amount of the satellites that are in orbit. If we start to scan different regions of the surface that might cause other nations to think that we are spying on them." Paul was aware of the fact that the nations that knew about the Stargate program would never agree to let more nations know about it.
"What can we to do to help the situation?" Kate leaned against Kyna's chair.
"Right now, all we can do is review the information that was sent to us." Jack raised a finger, "and I will get on the phone with the President." He looked at Paul, "I want you to review the reports as well, and then come and see me in my office. We're going to have to work together in order to convince our bosses about the full weight of the situation." Jack looked at the rest of them, "dismissed." He started to walk away, and then turned back towards them. "We'll reschedule that debriefing for 0800 tomorrow." Jack then walked back into the Control Room to see what Sam had discovered so far.
Kate placed her hand on Kyna's shoulder. "I want you to get some rest. Take the rest of the day off, and don't look so worried. It's out of your hands." She gave her the best smile she could before walking out of the room to go back to work.
Paul and Daniel both stood up as well. Paul headed to the Control Room to see if he could be of some use, while Daniel went there to ask if he could have the files sent to his office to read though. He was curious to find out what the exhibition team had learned about the city despite the fact that they had woken up the Wraith.
Kyna looked up at Jonas, "what are you going to do the rest of the day?"
"I'm going to go check in with Avidan." He gave her half of a smile, "Why don't you head up to my quarters and take a nap? This way we can spend some time together later."
Kyna nodded, "I think I would like that." She was feeling very drained and thought that a nap might help her to see their situation with fresh eyes.
Jonas Quinn's Quarters - Ten Minutes Later
Jonas unlocked the door to his room, and then turned on the lights. He could tell that Kyna was either exhausted or worried since she didn't say a single word since they left the Briefing Room. He was also feeling pretty worried, but he knew that there was nothing that he could do to change the events of the morning, or the situation in Pegasus.
Kyna followed him into the room and then closed the door behind them. She was not only feeling tired and worried, but also what was really bothering her was a deep sense of shame. She knew that she was not responsible for the actions of her ancestors, but nevertheless there was guilt present in her heart.
"I don't think you'll be comfortable wearing what you have on right now, considering the type of sleepwear that I've seen you in. You can wear something of mine." Jonas slightly smirked as he wondered where she got all of those items. He walked over towards the dresser and then pulled out a clean t-shirt and a pair of pajama pants.
After removing her button down standard SGC jacket, she sat down on the bed and started to pull her boots off. "Thank you, Jonas."
"Not a problem." He watched her for a moment while she was taking off her boots. "I bet you must be starting to get hungry... I'm going to go see what I have in the kitchen area." He turned and walked into the kitchen area. There were several pieces of fruit were in the basket on the counter.
He then checked the cabinets and found a box of power bars as well. He remembered that he wasn't all that fond of them, but he was sure that Kyna would at least try one. After checking the rest of the cabinets, Jonas turned and then went back towards where he left her.
He blinked several times when he walked back over to the bed. Surprisingly, Jonas found that Kyna had already changed and was fast asleep under the covers.
After he took a deep breath as he walked over towards her and then knelt on the ground beside the bed. "Kyna?" He whispered to see if she was really asleep or pretending. Since there was no response, he pushed sever lose curls that had fallen across her cheek. He then placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before he left the room.
Infirmary
Avidan was finishing his breakfast as he sat up in his hospital bed. He smiled, as he tasted the exotic food. Never in his life had he tried anything quite like what he was eating today. They called it yogurt with strawberries. What an interesting taste!
Katrina was keeping herself busy by doing minor things here and there. She was trying to keep her mind distracted from the news that she heard in the Briefing Room. In the back of her mind, she wondered what she would be doing right now if she had been able to go on the Atlantis expedition.
She walked over to Avidan to see how he was feeling. "My, you look like you are in good spirits." Kat gave him one of her best bedside smiles.
Avidan lifted his eyes towards her. He could tell that something was bothering her, but he wasn't sure what it was. After thinking it over for a moment, he decided not to bring it up to her. "Thank you, Dr. Viola, was it? You know I'm getting too old to be going by such formal means. What are you called besides Dr. Viola?"
"You mean my first name? It's Katrina, although I am also called Kat or Kate. Depends on who you are. My mum never really liked Katrina, it's not Irish, and so she would always call me Kate. Although I always thought that it would make more sense to go by Kat, however whenever I write the abbreviation I spell it as Kate. This way it looks more professional." She shrugged, "it's confusing I know. It's either one of those variations or I could always use my middle name to sound more Irish. It's Maeve, although I don't normally tell anyone that. I never really cared for it." She shook her head, "I'm sorry I'm rambling."
"No, no, no... I find it all very interesting." He smiled at her. "Now, why didn't your mother..." Avidan raised his brows as he saw Jonas enter the infirmary.
"I see you had breakfast." Jonas's dimples showed as he smiled at Avidan. He was relieved to see him looking so well.
Avidan pats his stomach, "Ah yes, it was wonderful. Light, but wonderful. I haven't eaten so well in years." He looked at Jonas, "Don't get me wrong, you're a great cook Jonas." He coughs, into his fist. He didn't really think that Jonas's cooking was all that great, but it was better then what he had been eating while out in the field.
Kate had to turn around for a second as she winced about the comment over the hospital food.
Jonas frowned for a moment, before he decided to change the subject. "So, Dr. Viola when will Avidan be able to go home?"
Kat scratched her eyebrow as she thought; "I want to keep him here for at least another day or two. Three tops, I want to keep him monitored, and run several psychological evaluations."
Jonas rubbed his back, "Is that really necessary?"
Avidan had a distant look in his eyes, "I'll do your tests." He looked up at Dr. Viola, "It's the least I can do."
Katrina bowed her head, "Thank you. I'll leave you two alone now." She turned and walked away. She was glad that she didn't have to explain why she wanted him tested. However, she hoped that if he had high anxiety or was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder that they would be able to give him some medication to help him deal with it.
Having finished his light breakfast, Avidan leaned back into the pillows. "Interesting place, this Stargate Command."
"That it is." Jonas grinned, "if you like the food here, then you'll love the Mess Hall food."
"Mess Hall food?" Avidan's mind drifted back to when he was in the Kelownan army with Jonas's father. He almost smiled as she thought about how his father couldn't stomach the food from the Mess Hall, while he would always stuff his face.
General O'Neill's Office Two Hours Later
Major Davis knocked on the door.
Jack looked up at him, "The situation doesn't look good." He flipped down the laptop screen.
"No it doesn't. Permission to leave for the Pentagon immediately, Sir." Paul had a laptop under his arm. "I plan on finishing the files on the plane ride between here and there."
Jack rubbed his chin as he thought it over, "Good Luck, Major. I'm going to have Carter go with you. She's going to have to explain the technical mambo jumbo to them."
"Wise decision, Sir." Paul nodded his approval.
"Meanwhile, I'm going to talk with the President on the phone." Jack pressed a button on his desk. "Walter, get a car ready to take Major Davis and Col. Carter to the airfield."
"Yes, Sir." Walter said through the intercom.
"Oh, Sir." Paul placed a folder on his desk. "Here is the Langaran mission report. I finished it after we got back yesterday."
"Good," Jack took the folder and placed it on the side of his desk. "If you can't make it back for the debriefing tomorrow, then don't worry about it. The important thing to do right now is send help to Atlantis."
"Thank you, Sir." Paul smiled.
"Don't mention it," Jack nodded. He then started to dial the phone to call the President.
Control Room Fifteen Minutes Later
Sam stood by one of the desks packing up her laptop. In the back of her mind she was going over what she was going to tell the people at the Pentagon.
"Sir..." Walter paused for half a minute to wait for a response. "Excuse me, Col. Carter?"
Sam blinked several times; she then stood up straight and looked at him. "Yes?"
"Your ride to the airfield is ready." Walter looked up at her.
"Thank you, Walter. I'm going to have to stop by my place before we leave to pick up my dress blues." She adjusted the laptop case on her shoulder.
"That won't be a problem, Sir. Major Davis already thought of that and told the driver."
Sam smiled, "Great." She started to walk towards Jack's office.
"Oh, Col. Carter." Walter pressed his lips together as he tilted his head.
Sam turned and looked at him. She was still a bit distracted, but her facial features didn't show it.
"Good luck." He tilted his chin down while he pressed his lips together again.
"Thanks Walter." Sam gave him a hopeful smile, and then turned to walk towards Jack's Office.
"Yes, Sir. Thank you for your support." Jack sat back in his chair as he listened to the President. He saw Sam standing at the door and motioned for her to come in. "Yes, she is going to be joining Major Davis for the meeting."
Sam came in and then stood in front of his desk. She always felt awkward when she knew that someone was talking about her on the phone when she was still in hearing range.
"I'm sure that she will be the perfect person for the job." After a moment, Jack hung up the phone, and then looked up at Sam. "All ready to go?"
Sam nodded, "Yes, sir."
"Good." He looked down at his hands and then back up at her. "The President is pretty sure that the Pentagon will agree to finish the Daedalus. But due to the time frame we're working with, he wants you to head up the project at Area 51 along with everything else being done there."
Sam was a bit stunned; she only over saw the work being done at Area 51 during her free time in-between missions. Although, she tilted her head as she thought about it, since activity in this galaxy has slowed down, it would make sense to work there more on a full time bases. Besides that, she thought of the other things that she wanted to accomplish, and having a vacation from the SGC would be nice. Her rambling thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.
"Teal'c!" Jack motioned for him to come into the office.
Teal'c bowed his head towards Jack, and then turned towards Sam. "Col. Carter, here are the files that you requested." He was caring a crate along with two laptop computers on top of it.
"Thank you, Teal'c." She looked between the two of them. "I'll keep you both posted on the results of the meeting and the work on the Daedalus." Sam took in a deep breath as she gave them a smile.
Jack nodded, "Perfect. Just don't forget to fax me that mission report."
"I won't, Sir." Sam gave him a slight nod before she turned to towards Teal'c to take the crate from him.
"I will walk you out." Teal'c held on to the crate.
"Thanks Teal'c." Sam smiled.
Teal'c nodded as he walked out into the hall.
Sam gave Jack one last look before she walked out of the office. She chewed on her lip and let out a small sigh. For some strange reason she felt that she wasn't going to be back here for a while.
Teal'c moved down the hall and towards the elevator. When the doors opened he steped inside.
Sam followed him. "Teal'c you're awfully quite."
"I have been given our current situation a lot of thought." He paused as he debated saying more, but then decided to tell her. "Before this morning I was planning on leaving SG-1 to stay on Dakara permanently. But now, I am not sure if that would be wise."
Sam looked up at him, "Teal'c you have done more than your fair share here. You need to do what is right for you. In fact there is probably little that you can do to help the current situation."
"That is true." He still sounded troubled.
"Remember, the formation of the new Jaffa Government will be affecting millions of people's lives. In fact it will likely alter the course of this entire galaxy's future. That is a very important objective to accomplish."
"That is also true." Teal'c smiled and nodded, as the elevator doors opened. "Thank you, I appreciate your insight."
"Your welcome, Teal'c." She took the crate from him before she left that elevator to go to next one. Sam turned to see Teal'c disappear in-between the closing elevator doors before she continued on her way.
Later that Night -- Jonas Quinn's Quarters
Jonas couldn't believe it. He had been gone most of the day and upon his return he expected Kyna to have already gone home. Although he didn't believe that she would leave without trying to say good-bye to him first.
Upon entering his quarters the first thing that he heard was the sound of someone weeping. After turning on the light and then closing the door, Jonas walked over to the bedroom section of the quarters. What he saw made his heart ache.
Kyna was lying on her side her body was curled around one of the pillows as she cried in her sleep.
"Oh, I just hate it when she has that dream!" Tesmindar walked into the room behind Jonas. She had been following him around to see if he remembered anything else about the event in the future.
Jethro Dior was sitting on a chair near the bed. "You're not the only one." His hands were rubbing his face. "Have you been behaving yourself, wife?"
Tesmindar puts her fists on her hips, "Of course I have! I always do!"
Jethro bit his tongue; he didn't want to start to remind his wife of the things that she's done in the past when she wasn't behaving herself. "I don't think that he'll remember anything else right now. Besides even if he did it wouldn't make much of a difference. The damage has been done."
"Oh! Don't say that! What about our grandchildren?" Tess looked very disappointed.
Jonas climbed onto the bed. He was rather unsure at first. He wanted to help her or at least wake her up, but he wasn't sure how to go about doing it. When her sobbing increased, his expression changed. He leaned up against the pillows and pulled her up on top of him so that her head was resting on his chest. He gently started to rub Kyna's back, "you're going to be alright, Sweetie. I'm here for you. Please wake up, it's just a bad dream."
Jethro was watching the two of them on the bed. He turned towards his wife. "Just because the events of this reality have been changed doesn't mean that their feelings for each other will." He stood and walked over towards his wife. "What ever happens from here on out, at least we know that she will have someone in her life that loves her."
Tesmindar sighed, "You're right. At least she has him now." She smiled to herself as she thought. He gave her two children once; he'll be able to do it again. Maybe more this time around. She just hoped that the change in events wouldn't shorten their lives.
Jethro hooked arms with his wife as they turned and left the room.
Kyna's sobs softened into a whimper. Instead of clinging on to the pillow, she started to cling onto him.
For the next hour, Jonas would switch back and forth between stroking her hair and rubbing her back. Eventually she stopped crying all together and found her way out of her dream.
Kyna's eyes fluttered open. She quickly became acutely aware of the fact that she wasn't alone. She felt the rise and fall of someone else's chest under her cheek was her first clue. The wonderful aroma of some sort of cologne or aftershave was the next one.
Jonas felt her move, so he stopped rubbing her back. "Kyna? Are you awake?"
Kyna lifted her eyes to see him watching her. She smiled shyly up at him, "yes. How long was I sleeping for?"
"Nearly the entire day." He gave her a warm smile.
Kyna tried to sit up, but when she did she noticed that there was a large wet stain on the front of Jonas's shirt. She looked at him with concern in her eyes, "was I crying?"
Jonas nodded slowly. "It must have some horrible nightmare." He hoped that she would tell him about it but at the same time he didn't want to push her to relive it in her mind.
"It wasn't a nightmare, it was a memory. One that resurfaces every so often." She sniffled.
Jonas sat up, "you don't have to face your past alone anymore, Kyna. I'll help you though it."
Kyna looked at him, she wanted to tell him that it didn't matter, he would be going home, and she would be alone once more. But she didn't want to make him feel guilty about leaving so she just shook her head.
He reached out his hand and then rubbed her arm. "Please, let me help you. Please, Kyna." His voice sounded full of a yearning need to be there for her.
She moistened her lips and then nodded. "It's not going to be pretty."
"Upsetting memories hardly ever are." He lifted his hand to cup the side of her face. His thumb brushed a fallen tear away.
Kyna placed both of her hands on the sides of his face. "Tilt your forehead down and close your eyes."
Jonas's brows came together. He thought that she was just going to tell him about the memory, but right now he wasn't sure what she was doing so he simply complied with the request.
Kyna closed her eyes and pressed her forehead to his.
A bright light surrounded Jonas's mind's eye. He blinked several times before his vision could adjust.
"Can you see me?" Kyna studied his facial expression.
Jonas blinked again. This time he was able to see her standing in front of him. She was wearing a white SGC uniform with her pulled back out of her face. "Yes, what happened?" He spun around and was surprise to find that he was no longer in his quarters, but in an average size room. It was simply finished, but there were amazing frescos on the walls. His eyes shifted over to the bed, there was a child sleeping in it. He looked at her and then back at Kyna. "She looks like you."
"The child and I are one in the same. Do you see the clothing on the floor around the bed?" Kyna pointed to it on the floor.
"Yes..." He walked over to have a better look at the girl along with having a good look at the clothing.
"The set on that side was my mother's the other side was my grandmother's. " Kyna pointed to each set as she talked about them.
The girl in the bed coughed several times, and then blinked, "mother?" Her voice was hoarse. After a moment, she coughed again and then called out, "grandmother?"
Jonas looked at the elder Kyna. "Can she see us?"
"No, Jonas, we are viewing the memory. We can't actually interact with it. Just to warn you, normally when I dream, I dream in my own language, but you will be able to understand what she says nevertheless. " She walked over to him as she thought that she should start to explain the situation better. "You see, when my father left Deshi, he exposed himself several illnesses that my people have not had contact with in two thousand years. Our immune systems weren't strong enough to fight them off. My mother and grandmother sacrificed themselves to save my life. They gave me their immunities, and as a result they had to ascend. Unfortunately, neither one of them thought to leave me a note to explain what had happened to them... After a while I found my grandmother's scriptures about ascension, but I was never completely sure that they ascended until I came to the SGC."
The girl slowly sat up. She stopped midway and closed her eyes as she rubbed her temples. When she opened her eyes again she looked over at the nightstand. There was a bowl of water that had been placed there some time ago. She reached over and took it in her hands and then brought it to her lips. After taking a mouthful and swallowing it, she put the bowl down and stuck out her tongue. The water had gone stale with dust in it. The preadolescent girl was not used to drinking that type of water.
"You were so young..." Jonas sat at the foot of the bed.
"I was about the same age as you were when your parents pasted." She thought to remind him.
"Mother!" The girl called out. Her voice was a little bit stronger, "Grandmother!" She didn't dare call out to her father. When she first became ill, she had over heard her mother and grandmother talking about how series they thought that her father's condition was.
Several moments past by as the girl waited, but no one came. She pulled the covers off herself and slipped out of the bed. Her knees gave out under her as she hit the floor. The girl whimpered, but then stopped when she saw her mother's clothing on the ground. "Strange..." The girl held a determined look on her face as she stood. She grinned her teeth together as she stumbled out of the room.
Jonas followed her out.
The girl held onto the walls as she walked down the hall. She pressed a button next to each door so that it would open for her. After finding that all the rooms on the floor were empty, she started to whimper once more. Her walking improved as she used her legs. When she went down the stairs it wasn't that difficult to do.
Jonas turned towards the adult Kyna. "How long did you search for them?"
"Hours...maybe days even. I was so upset... time didn't matter anymore." She couldn't look into his eyes; it was taking all of her will power not to burst into tears again. She thought that she was being silly, these events happened nearly when she was half the age she was right now. Yet they still made her cry when she thought about them.
The girl reached the room where her father had been and then opened the door. She saw his clothing sticking out from under the sheets. Her breathing became heavy as she started to hyperventilate.
Jonas's eyes narrowed as the white light engulfed them again. When his vision cleared he found himself standing outside on what appeared to be a path. The grass had become over grown and there were several pieces of clothing lying on the path near by. They appeared to be in a late stay of decay due to being out in the elements. He looked up at Kyna, "now where are we?"
"On the surface. The underground city of Deshi was always off limits to the general public. However, they had to allow technicians and engineers the ability to monitor the technology that hid this valley from the outside world." She pointed to the sky. "My grandmother couldn't stomach living on the surface after the attack. She never touched any of the clothing that had been worn by our people, but she did cover the bodies of those that attacked with flags. "
Jonas looked up, he was able to see the shimmering lights of a shield, but there was more too it. There was a layer of transparent gray stone that lay on top of it followed by a cloud-covered sky.
"The atmosphere in here is completely computer generated. It enables those living here to have the best weather conditions always. The water table is high enough that anything that has been put into the artificial soil grows." Kyna turned as the house at the end of the path as it decloaked. From the doorway, the young girl wearing the same nightshirt as before walked out. She was still crying and upon seeing the clothing lying in the middle of the pathway she shrieked. After stomping her foot she started to run down the path to get away from the sight.
Jonas quickly followed after her. He would cringe each time she ran into another pile of tattered clothing. The worst was when they reached the edge of the dome.
The girl had been shrieking at seeing another pile of clothing with some sort of hand weapon next to it. Unknown to her at the time it belonged to her grandfather. She turned and then tripped over something that was covered by what appeared to be a faded red flag with a white circle and some sort of strange broken black cross in that. The flag had gotten tangled around her exposed legs. As she tried to break free of it, it exposed what was hidden underneath.
Jonas didn't think that the girl's face could get any paler but he was wrong. It turned as white as a Kelownan Iris as the girl stared at decaying body.
She scooted back only to bump into another body. As if in a fit of madness, she was able to make it to her feet and ran screaming down the stairs that lead out of the dome.
Jonas followed and stopped short when he exited the dome. It was freezing outside with a light snow falling.
The girl didn't even seem to notice she just climbed down the side of the mountain and ran into the forest
The light enveloped them once again. This time Jonas found himself standing next to her somewhere in the woods. The girl was sitting next to a tree by a small stream that had partially frozen over. She was curled up in a ball trying to stay warm as she wept into her knees. Her hair was unkempt and her nightshirt was torn in many places. Her exposed skin was covered in dirt.
"I don't understand how you survived." He turned around looking for the child's adult counterpart.
"I never would have, but..." She motioned to an orange figure limping along the streamline.
"Augustus!" Jonas blinked seeing the cat. He looked as if he had been in a fight. Part of his ear was hanging off. One of his eyes was closed, and his front right foot looked like it had been bitten into. He would stop ever so often and started to lick it. Jonas couldn't believe how thin he was.
The cat started to meow.
The girl looked up and rubbed her tears away with her fists. She crawled over to the cat and held out her hand.
The cat licked her wet tears off of her fingers.
The girl placed one hand over its head and the other one drifted over its body. She tried to heal it, but could not do all of it. She had to stop and cough.
"I realized then that despite how much pain I was feeling inside, that another needed my help."
The light engulfed them for the last time. Jonas found himself back on the bed in his quarters. He opened his eyes and watched her withdraw from him. She swung her feet off the bed and stood. She had to grab the waistband of the pajama pants to keep it them from falling to her knees. Then she picked up her clothing and went into his bathroom to put them back on.
Jonas thought about what he had seen and was left speechless by it. When she opened the bathroom door again, he got up and embraced her in his arms.
Kyna sniffled, "it's alright Jonas. Please, I didn't show you that to make you feel bad." She prayed that he didn't pity her now, which was the last thing she wanted. She sniffled again. "It's alright, I'm fine, I turned out fine, and now I'm here. I'm not alone anymore. I know what happened to them, and that's all that matters."
He ran his fingers though her hair as her head rested against his chest, "but the memory still haunts you."
"Not as often as it once did." She whispered.
"What brought it on? Fear of the Wraith?" Although he didn't believe it from the moment that he said it.
She shook her head, "something worse."
"I don't understand." Jonas whispered.
She mumbled something into his chest.
Jonas tilted his head as he tried to make out what she said, but could not. So, he lifted her chin with his fingers. "I couldn't understand what you said."
Her brows came together, "I...I'm so ashamed."
"Ashamed of what? You haven't done anything wrong." Jonas was beginning to wonder if all women were this confusing or if it was just those that were Ancients.
"We ran away. Instead of facing our fears, we hid from them. Instead of dying along side of those whom we created we ran away. They have been terrorized for ten thousand years, just like those of this galaxy have been. We left such a mess, and I am responsible for all of it."
"No you're not, Kyna. You can't be responsible for the actions of your ancestors, our ancestors." He said that to remind her of that fact. "Sometimes we have to withdraw from a situation that we can no longer control to regroup. Sometimes events play out in ways that we never intended them to. That doesn't justify it, but it does explain why they left. They could no longer stay in Pegasus, they had to leave to regroup and come back when the Wraith least expected them to. Yes, many people died, and many more will. Nothing can change that."
"I know that but still..." She was cut off.
"You must think that I am a coward." Jonas turned away from her. He honestly didn't think that, but he wanted to help her to understand better.
Kyna moved around him and stood there. She had no idea why he changed the subject, but she did look angry, "I would never think that you are a coward Jonas!" She nearly shouted.
He started to walk away from her, "I ran away from the situation on my world, and came here for protection."
"That is completely different! Your life was at stake, you are important to your people, they need you and quite frankly were not able to protect you!" Her brows came together.
"But still I am ashamed of having to hide here while others where hurt in my place. If I stayed behind, no harm would have ever come to Avidan." He held a grave look on his face. What he said was true, he did feel ashamed, but he knew that he could not change what had happened.
"Yes, but you would have been dead and those responsible would still be out there capable of hurting more people." She cupped the side of his face with her hand, "you have nothing to feel ashamed of."
He cupped the side of her face, "you should listen to your own advice." He raised a brow.
Kyna narrowed her eyes, "Oh! You're trying to trick me." She poked him in the stomach.
"Did it work?" He started to grin when he saw the change in her facial expression.
"A bit... it helps, but I need to think about it more." She frowned.
"Good because I hope you know that I realize that you have emotions just like the rest of us." He rubbed her cheek with his thumb. He looked down at his other hand and then removed his ring. He took her hand and slid it onto her thumb. "And there is no need to feel alone anymore, I know you said that you don't, but I don't completely believe you. I will see you again, please take care of this until then."
Kyna was speechless at first, but then she looked at him, "Thank you, and of course I do Jonas. You could never imagine how special you make me feel. The way you look at me makes me feel that you care about me, and not what I am or what I can give you." Her speech slowed as a well of emotions built up around her heart.
Jonas inched his face closer to hers, "I care about you just as you care about me." His lips inched closer to hers and then were suddenly touching. Jonas lightly kissed her lips. He knew that she had no experience in the matter, and waited for hers to learn what to do.
Kyna was a bit overwhelmed by the sudden sensations. They were extremely pleasant. Her lips formed with his and their kiss intensified.
After a moment their gentle but intense kiss ended. Kyna couldn't help but blush as she quickly moved away. "I better get going."
Jonas couldn't help but smile, "I'll miss you."
"As I will you," she walked out the room and then to the door that lead to the hall.
Jonas followed her until he saw the door close. He could help himself; he had to grin. The woman was a puzzle. She gave him pieces every so often, but the more she gave him, the more he respected and grew found of her.
Kyna popped her head back into the room. "Oh Jonas..."
Jonas blinked as his thoughts were interrupted, "yes, Kyna?"
"I think I now understand why you were jealous about my father's painting, and why you asked me that question. I think you want the job." She raised her brows and then quickly closed the door.
Jonas's grin widened, she was right, and he would be damned if he didn't get it.
Two Days Later -- Briefing Room
During the last two days, Kyna barely got a change to see Jonas alone. And now he was leaving. Kyna hadn't the heart to see him off in the actual Gate Room, so she stood by the windows in the Briefing Room.
Daniel came into the Briefing Room and walked over to her. "I thought that I would find you down there." He had his arms crossed in front of his chest, but was still able to point out the window.
"I rather watch from up here." She didn't turn, but there was sadness in her voice. She didn't trust herself to keep her emotions in check while Jonas was departing.
"Ah, well anyway, I do have some good news." When she didn't respond, he continued on. "The Pentagon has approves of Sam's plans for the Daedalus. Her and about half of our leading scientists are on their way to Area 51 as we speak. We've even gotten the Asgard to help us."
"That's good..." she watched the doors to the Gate room open. Jonas pushed the wheelchair that held Avidan in it. Kate was walking beside them as she continued to give them instructions.
The Stargate started to spin.
"I thought that you might be thrilled, we get to go to Atlantis." He tried to give her an encouraging smile.
"We?" She sounded confused.
"Yes, we, Jack said that both of us could ask for a transfer to go to Atlantis when the Daedalus is ready." He couldn't help but sound excited.
Kyna turned and looked at him, "I am very happy for you but I won't be going. I'm not ready yet... it's hard to explain, but I think I need more time before I face that challenge."
Daniel nodded, "I see, well I'm sure that you will have plenty chances to go there since we recovered that ZPM."
Kyna stopped paying attention to what Daniel was saying and watched as Jonas pushed Avidan up the ramp.
He looked over his shoulder and waved to her.
She waved back. A tear traveled down her cheek as he stepped though the event horizon.
"You know you'll be seeing him again. We still have to negotiate with his people over the Naquadria and shields." Daniel now understood why she was acting the way she was.
"I know, besides I still have to cure his cancer." She turned and after whipping her tear away she looked up at Daniel. Unknown to anyone else, she had already given Jonas the plans to the shields. "Now what was that you were saying about a ZPM?"
Daniel placed his hand on her shoulder as he started to escort her out. "Yes, I believe that it is the one that powered the repository under the Sphinx. Oh, and there is something that you have to see..."
They walked out of the Briefing Room.
((The End! That's it for Negotiations. Stay tuned for the next part of the Ancient Connection Series. Please let me know what you think of this story! Thank you for reading this far!))

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Amanda Eros