Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Blood Is Thicker Than Water

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Blood Is Thicker Than Water

Blood Is Thicker Than Water

by L.E McMurray

Summary: Daniel's new family life is about to be disrupted in several different ways.
Category: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Episode Related: 204 The Gamekeeper, 321 Crystal Skull
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Daniel/Sha're, other pairing
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-03-05

Author's Notes: Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

This is the sequel to New Neighbour. I have a plan but it might take some time but here's part one, enjoy.

*********************************************

Daniel shifted slightly against the warmth as he woke up. Turning over he jumped as he touched a warm body. Opening his eyes his wife's soulful dark eyes met his and an amused look covered her face.

"Good morning my husband," Sha're gently kissed him.

"Sha're?" he whispered amazed.

"Is something wrong my Dan'iel?" Sha're asked, worry crossing her face at his expression of wonder.

Daniel drew his fingers across her face smiling as she gently kissed his fingertips when they touched her lips, "Nothing's wrong," he whispered wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close, "Everything's wonderful, you're here."

"Of course I am," Sha're laughed, "Where else would I be?"

Daniel shook his head, "It doesn't matter. It was just a nightmare."

Sha're noticed a tear escaping his eyes and gently kissed it away, "Let me assure you my Dan'iel."

Daniel closed his eyes as she kissed him, whatever had made him think she was gone was being forgotten and all he could feel was his wife's arms around him.

-

"Momma," an insistent voice called from beside her, "Momma, momma, momma."

Claire groaned opening her eyes she saw her little angel standing beside her bed, "Danny?"

"Daddy said breakfast is ready," Danny told her in the earnest voice of a four year old.

Claire frowned trying to catch something that was screaming for her attention but as she looked at her little boy she just reached out and pulled him beside her, "What have you been up to my little sand bug?"

Danny giggled as she tickled him, "Digging."

"And what have you found?"

"Nuthin'" he grinned, "But I will soon."

Claire kissed her son's soft golden hair before releasing him, "Come on let's go get breakfast. Your Daddy will be looking for us."

As they exited the tent Claire stopped for a few seconds when she saw her husband standing talking to one of the workers.

"Daddy," Danny called as he bounded over to be caught by his father.

Mel Jackson turned to where Claire stood and smiled at her as she joined them, Claire closed her eyes as her husband kissed her. Whatever it was she'd forgotten didn't matter, life was perfect.

*********************************************

Maria groaned as her phone rang. Cracking open an eye she frowned.

"It's four am," she mumbled answering it.

"Maria, its Jack," the reply came.

"Just because I live nearby doesn't mean I want called by you people," she muttered.

"Maria, your mother and Daniel are missing," Jack broke the news to her.

She froze, "Are you sure?"

"Completely," Jack replied, "Maria, we need your help."

"My what?"

"I'm sitting downstairs, "Jack told her, "Get dressed and I can give you a lift to the base."

Maria dropped the phone and scrambled around trying to find some jeans, after fifteen minutes she exited her building to find Jack sitting waiting for her. Without a word he opened the door and she climbed in.

-

"What happened?" Maria demanded when she sat in the briefing room yawning slightly, the rest of SG1 and Hammond were sitting with her.

"They were off world on a dig," Jack explained, "They missed their check-in and when we called up the planet they were on...nothing."

"What do you mean by nothing?" Maria asked.

"There was no sign of the campsite, their equipment or the SG team that was with them," Sam explained, "We checked out the entire perimeter but there was no sign they'd ever been there."

"Okay," Maria said frowning slightly, "So why do you need me? Wouldn't Kelly be better for this sort of thing?"

"She's in Egypt," Jack reminded her.

"The structure and language they were looking at was Mayan," Teal'c told her, "We therefore believe the best person to help would be Nicholas Ballard."

"My Grandfather," Maria shrugged, "Then I ask again, why am I here?"

"When Nick went to join the `giant aliens' we set up that the only way to contact him was through a blood relative," Jack explained.

"Whose bright idea was that?" Maria sighed.

"Your brother's," Sam told her.

"Look," Jack turned Maria's attention back to him, "All we need is for you to come with us so we can contact the old man."

"Through the Stargate?" Maria asked apprehensively.

"Is that a problem?" Sam frowned.

Maria took a deep breath, "I'll be fine."

-

Sam gently touched Maria's shoulder as the younger woman stood staring at the Stargate.

"What's wrong?" she asked gently.

"I guess I just thought I'd never have to go through that thing again," Maria sighed.

"You'll be just fine," Sam smiled at her, "Think of it as a kind of amusement ride."

Maria rolled her eyes, "Yeah, did I ever mention I hate those things?"

Sam laughed, "Just close your eyes and we'll get you through safe and sound."

"I'll hold you to that," Maria muttered.

As the Gate burst open Sam rested her hand on Maria's shoulder, "Ready?"

"Not even slightly," Maria replied her eyes wide with worry before swallowing, "But you guys do this at least once a week, so can I."

"I'll go through with you," Sam promised, "I'll keep you up."

As they started walking up the ramp Mari gripped Sam's arm tightly before closing her eyes and walking through.

*********************************************

Sha're lay back against Daniel who was leaning against a rock as they watched the sun set behind the city. He slid his fingers around her curls as she trailed her fingers along his leg.

"I missed you," Daniel whispered.

"I have been nowhere my love," Sha're turned laughing.

"When I dreamed," he sighed, "I felt as though you had been gone for so long and even though I know it was just a bad dream..."

"You missed me?" Sha're asked with a smile on her face.

Daniel pulled her up so he could kiss her, "Every second."

"Well then," his wife smiled with a mischievous look in her eyes, "I must make sure you," her arm wrapped around his neck, "feel welcomed home."

Daniel couldn't stop smiling as they kissed, something nudged at his mind but as Sha're caressed him he ignored it focussing on his wife and the feel of her body pressing against his.

-

Claire cuddled up against Mel as they watched Danny sleeping.

"He's going to do great things," Mel whispered in his wife's ear, "Considering he has your brains and good looks."

Claire laughed, "What did he get from you then?"

"My incredible wit," Mel told her, "And possibly my stubbornness."

Claire smiled and she turned kissing her husband lightly on the cheek, "You know, we should give Daniel a sibling. He would be a wonderful big brother."

Mel laughed huskily in her ear, "I remember someone telling me that I was never doing that to them again."

Claire leaned back against him, "Well it's been a few years. I'm willing to try again."

Mel gently stroked her cheek curling his hand around her chin and resting his thumb on her lips, "I love you.

"I love you too," Claire breathed mesmerised by his deep dark eyes, completely lost as her husband kissed her.

*********************************************

"Oh my God," Maria breathed in amazement as she stepped into the pyramid, "This place is huge."

"Nice digs huh?" Jack asked resting his hand on her shoulder, "Come on."

Maria followed Jack across the rather narrow bridge keeping her eyes firmly on the back of Jack as he led them across. Reaching the other side Maria breathed in amazement as she looked at the crystal skull sitting on a pedestal.

"See the panel in front of it?" Jack said, "Place your hand on that and stare into the eyes of the skull."

Maria frowned but did as he said waiting feeling worried as a wind started around them throwing her hair into her face before it finally died down and Maria saw an old man standing waiting to greet them.

"Where is Daniel?" the man demanded.

Jack stepped forward, "He's missing. That's why we need your help; we need you to come back with us."

"Of course," Nicholas Ballard nodded; he turned and called something in another language before the wind started once more.

Maria looked at the man she'd come here to get and frowned, he wasn't really that impressive considering what she'd been told about him. She fell into step behind Teal'c wondering if maybe she should call Elizabeth and let her know what was happening.

"Hey," Jack yelled, "Are you staying here?"

Maria realised they were at the Gate which was open and only she and Jack were left on this side, "Sorry."

Jack grinned and made sure she was through before heading back home himself.

-

Nick sat at the briefing room table waiting to find out what had happened to his grandson every so often he glanced at the young woman who was with the team who he found exceedingly familiar yet couldn't place her.

"What has happened to Daniel?" Nick demanded as Hammond sat down.

Jack explained to Nick what had happened to Daniel and the team for the moment leaving out any mention of Claire.

"Do you want me to go there?" Nick asked confused, "I do not think I would be very mobile."

"No," Sam replied, "We have everything down on tape, we need you to translate for us and hopefully it will help us find Daniel."

Nick nodded, "What are you not telling me? And who is this? We fixed it so that only a relative could contact me."

"Oh boy," Jack breathed, "Nick, this is Maria Walker. She's...she's..."

"I'm your granddaughter," Maria interrupted.

Nick stared at her in complete horror, "No."

"It's nice to be wanted," Maria snapped.

"But my only child is dead," Nick whispered sadly.

"Actually, that's what else we haven't told you," Jack licked his lips nervously wondering how the old man would take this, "Your daughter isn't dead. Claire is alive and well, she was injured when the wall came down on her and her husband. She ended up with amnesia and only when she moved next door to Daniel did she start to remember. She's lost with Daniel."

Nick stared at Maria, "And that means..."

"I'm the second youngest of your four grandchildren," she told him softly, seeing the shock in his eyes, "Mom married my Dad and had us three girls as well as Daniel."

Nick smiled at her, "You look so like your mother."

Maria's eyes widened before she smiled, "I do?"

"I wish to hear all about your sisters," Nick told her, "But first I need to help find my daughter and grandson."

-

Nick entered Daniel's office Maria not far behind him, she'd decided to help him plus she was interested in getting to know the old man despite knowing he'd abandoned her adored big brother.

She saw him stop and gasp, "Are you alright?"

Nick turned holding the picture taken at Daniel's birthday of the Claire, Daniel, Elizabeth, Kelly and herself, "You are all so like her, like my beautiful daughter."

"Why didn't you take him in?" Maria couldn't stop herself from asking.

Nick looked a little shocked at her question, he replaced the picture and looked back at her, "Because I am a selfish old man who could not bear to see the child I had lost who looked so much like the woman I loved and lost in the face of a boy I did not truly know."

"At least you're honest," Maria mused.

"I have always hated myself for abandoning Daniel but I cannot change it," Nick replied, "I can only try to make it up to him."

Maria stared at him for a few moments before nodding, "Well I can't wait to see Mom's reaction to you."

Nick smiled at his granddaughter, "You are an interesting young woman."

"I've been called worse," Maria laughed, "Let's get to work."

-

Maria watched in fascination as Nick worked every so often he would ask her to write down something from the screen. She could see a great deal of her brother and mother within the old man who sat beside her and she found her fear for them lessening very slightly.

"Would you get me some water please?" Nick asked.

Maria gave him a smile, "Sure."

She watched him from the back of the room and gaped as she saw something she'd not noticed before.

"Nick," she jumped back and hit pause, "Look at this."

"What is it?" Nick asked confused.

Maria grabbed a piece of paper and placed it on the screen moving it until it sat where she wanted, "This. The walls don't match."

"The walls? I couldn't see anything, how can you?" Nick turned to her still confused.

"I'm an architect I notice these things," she shrugged, "That's a false wall. They didn't disappear, the building moved."

Nick laughed, "You are definitely my grandchild."

"Meaning?"

"Brilliant like Claire and Daniel," Nick hugged her kissing her cheek, "Let's go and tell the others what we found."

-

"Are you guys sure?" Jack asked.

Nick and Maria were now sitting around the briefing table with Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Hammond.

"Completely," Maria nodded, "The walls false, that's why there's no sign of their camp."

"The script speaks of a place of memory," Nick explained, "But there is no real indication of where they are. However Maria is right about the wall being false it is in fact a defence shield."

"Is there a way through it?" Sam asked.

Maria turned to Nick who nodded very slowly, "Possibly."

"Possibly?" Jack asked.

"Allow me to return to the planet and I shall speak to Quetlzelcoatl," Nick told them, "He may allow us use of equipment to remove the shield. Though there will be more than likely one addendum to using the equipment."

"What will that be?" Jack asked suspiciously.

"Like the way to contact me," Nick explained, "They will allow only myself or a blood relative to use it."

"Meaning Maria," Jack frowned, not liking this idea much.

"Hold on," the young woman cried, "Are we talking about me going through that thing again?"

"Is that a problem?" Nick asked her.

"Maria was only meant to come and get you," Jack explained, "She's not a part of the SGC, she was just helping out."

"They will not allow anyone else to use the equipment," Nick told Jack.

Hammond who had sat quietly throughout the entire exchange turned to Maria, "Would this be a major problem for you Maria?"

"Are you serious?" Maria cried, "General, I...I mean...this..."

"Maria," Hammond soothed, "We'll find another way if you feel you can't go through the Gate."

Maria felt a little shaken and sat quietly mentally debating whether she should do this or not. Finally she nodded softly.

"I'll do it," she sighed, "To get Mom and Daniel back I'll go."

Jack rested his hand on Maria's shoulder, "We'll take care of you kid."

"Oh that fills me with confidence," Maria groaned.

*********************************************

Sha're leaned over Daniel's shoulder as he wrote in his journals, he found it amazing that he'd dreamed so many years without her and he could remember it so vividly yet here he was on Abydos with his wife and family.

"What are you doing?" she asked as she always did.

"Just writing," he replied turning and kissing the tip of her nose.

"Tell me," Sha're moved to face him removing his journal from his hands, "About your friends?"

"Friends?" Daniel asked confused.

"About O'Neill," she explained.

"Jack's not really a friend," Daniel sighed, remembering what he thought had been reality and how close they'd become.

"What about your other friends?" Sha're asked.

"I didn't really have..."

Sha're cut him off, "What about Samantha and Teal'c?"

Daniel stopped feeling a shiver slide along his spine, "How?"

"Dan'iel?" she looked at him innocently as he pulled away from her.

"How do you know those names?" he demanded.

"They are your friends," innocence shone in her face but she refused to meet his eye and Daniel frowned.

Glancing around their home he grabbed one of the panels Sha're used as a mirror and looked at himself, at his short hair before he turned to her.

"Who are you?" he demanded.

"I am your wife."

Daniel shook his head tears stinging his eyes, "My wife is dead."

"Dan'iel..."

"Stop it!!!" he cried, "Just stop it," sadness covered his face, "Why would you do this to me? What do you want?"

Her eyes closed, "Look for the spherical pattern on the rocks."

"What?"

"It is your way out," she stepped forward and kissed his cheek before leaving him.

Daniel dropped to his knees burying his face in his hands as all the pain rushed back on him. After a few moments he remembered his mother had been with him and he pulled himself off the ground taking a few deep breaths to calm himself before he headed towards what she'd told him to look for.

When he found the picture on the rock Daniel touched it and woke up in a chair very similar to one used by the Gamekeeper. Jumping away from it he saw his mother in a similar situation.

Standing at her side he checked the chair to see if there was someway to bring her out finding a headset to allow him in to whatever she was seeing.

-

Claire sat watching Daniel as he played with his father learning all about the stars. She loved that little boy so much and she loved her husband with all her heart.

"It's not real Mom," a voice came from behind her.

Spinning Claire stared at the grown version of the boy she'd just been watching stood at her side.

"D...Daniel?" she whispered.

"I'm sorry Mom," he knelt beside her, "We have to leave here."

Claire saw the pain in her son's eyes and nodded, "I have to say goodbye to him."

Daniel nodded in understanding.

Claire walked over to where Mel and young Daniel sat; she leaned down and gently kissed the boy on his forehead before she touched Mel's cheek. Turning him to face her Claire pressed a lingering kiss on his lips before she smiled at them and returning to where Daniel was waiting.

With tears in her eyes Claire walked with Daniel to the exit gasping as she woke up. Extricating herself from the chair Claire turned to find her son on his knees vomiting tears streaking down his cheeks.

"Danny," she whispered kneeling beside him rubbing his back, "Its okay. Come on we need to get out of here."

Daniel turned to her his eyes red and filled with anguish but he nodded and pulled himself to his feet getting ready to get them out of here and to protect his mother.

*********************************************

"Ready Maria?" Jack asked as they waited for the Gate to dial.

"No," she whispered, "But I doubt I'll ever be ready."

"Stick with me," Jack told her, "No matter what you do as I say."

"Sure Jack," Maria answered giving him a smile as he squeezed her arm.

"You're doing good kid," he murmured to her, "Just a little more."

Maria nodded and stayed at his side as they walked through the Gate. The cold air hit her the moment she stepped out onto the planet.

"This way," Jack took her arm, "It seems to be empty but stick with me."

Maria nodded and stayed close to the Colonel as they walked to the ruins. She went over the instructions Nick had given her in her mind over and over hoping she wouldn't screw this up.

"There it is," Jack interrupted her thoughts, "Just a wall."

"Okay," Maria pulled the device out the bag and placed it against the wall/defence shield, "As Nick explained this, it should only take about a few moments before it removes the wall."

"Everyone ready," Jack snapped as Maria manipulated the controls.

The wall disappeared revealing SG5 all unconscious around the campsite. Jack nodded to Sam to check on them as Teal'c looked for both Dr's Jackson.

"No sign of them?" Jack asked when Teal'c joined him.

"None," the Jaffa frowned, "There was no sign of a struggle either."

"Any clues to where they are?"

"I'd say walking towards us," Maria cried pushing past the two men running over to where Daniel and Claire were walking slowly towards them.

Jack rushed over to them also catching his friend's arm, "Danny?"

Daniel's eyes were red-rimmed pain filled the blue depths; he caught Jack's eye and shook his head letting him know not just now.

"Let's get them home," Jack said, worried that there had been absolutely nobody else here and there'd been no fight to get their people back.

-

Daniel sat on the bed in the infirmary waiting for Janet. He was relieved no one was trying to make him talk. Jack had spent the entire trip from the Gateroom to the infirmary watching him closely but his friend knew not to say anything just now.

"Hey," Jack handed him a mug of coffee, "By the way Maria was woken at four am to help you guys. So watch out for her looking for payback."

A small smile touched the archaeologists face making Jack feel a little better that Daniel would survive whatever he'd been through.

"Okay Daniel," Janet arrived, "You know the drill."

Daniel nodded and handed the mug back to Jack who moved over to see how Claire was.

-

"Has he told you anything?" Claire asked when Jack joined her.

He shook his head, "I doubt he'll talk for a while. He seems pretty shaken."

"I don't know what he saw," Claire whispered, "But if it was anything like where I was this won't be easy for him."

"Why?" worry filled Jack's voice, "What did you see?"

"Mel," Claire sighed, "And Danny. We were back in Egypt when Danny was about four and life was wonderful. It seemed perfect."

"Oh no," Jack groaned, "Sha're. He was with Sha're in some way. This is going to be bad."

"He was sick after he brought me out," Claire told him, "Just fell to his knees. I think he needs you."

"He'll need us all," Jack told her, "Once Janet's finished with you both I'll drive you home."

"Thank you Jack," Claire squeezed his hand, "I'm so glad my son has you as his friend."

Jack smiled back before he glanced over worriedly at where Daniel was sitting on the bed while Janet checked him out. The young man was staring into space and Jack worried that Daniel wouldn't get over this as easy as Jack first thought.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to L.E McMurray