Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Realities Apart II: Silver Oak Leaves

by ReganX
[Reviews - 3]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
What happened in Colonel Carter and Major O'Neill's reality (aka The Twilight Zone)?
Silver Oak Leaves




The 'gate room was swathed in red, blue and white bunting, the flags standing behind the podium that Walter, entrusted with the prestigious task of preparing for the visit, had spent more time that he would have cared to admit arranging to his satisfaction.

The red carpet covering the ramp leading to the stargate had been vacuumed and fluffed within an inch of its life.
Any Goa'uld foolish enough to choose today to launch their attack and ruin the carefully made preparations would have Walter to answer to.

Lined up in perfectly pressed dress uniforms the personnel of the SGC looked as though none of them ever had anything to do with a task more dangerous than the deep space radar telemetry that was their official cover.

The assembled group came to attention as the doors opened and the President entered, escorted by General Hammond.
SG-1, standing in line on one side of the ramp, returned the broad smiles the President gave them as he passed the team on his way to the podium.

"At ease." President Kinsey said warmly, surveying the people assembled before him. "Now, you all know that I'm not one for long speeches."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Major O'Neill quipped, knowing perfectly well that the other man wouldn't take offence. His wife and commanding officer shot him a reproving frown but her stern expression was ruined by the small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

Kinsey chuckled good-naturedly, meeting Colonel Carter's eyes. "Maybe you need to set him to scrubbing a few toilets when we're done here, Colonel." He joked, waiting for the ripple of laughter to subside before he continued. "In a way, it's a shame that this program has to remain a secret and that the people of the world can never know how much they owe the people in this room, or how many heroes walk among them. You risk your lives every day in a way more dangerous and fantastic than any of us could have ever dreamed. Understand that I represent every person of this great nation when I salute your ongoing heroic spirit. You should be proud - I know that I am." He paused for a few moments to allow the applause to die down. "And I'm still waiting to hear about you lot naming a planet after me." He chided SG-1 jokingly.

"We'll see what we can do, sir." Colonel Carter promised.

"We just want to find a nice one." Major O'Neill added.

"Good." President Kinsey smiled at the pair before clearing his throat. "I have one other small bit of business. Please come to attention."

General Hammond moved forward, slipping something into Colonel Carter's hand.

The President waited for silence before continuing. "Given how disrespectful he's been, maybe I shouldn't be doing this - but I'd never want it said that I held a grudge. The President of the United States has placed special trust and confidence in the patriotism, integrity and abilities of Major Jack O'Neill. Major Jack O'Neill is promoted to the grade of Lieutenant Colonel, United States Air Force." He beckoned to the other man to step forward. "Come here, son."

"You know, I'm not that much younger than you."

General Hammond and Colonel Carter were smiling broadly as they replaced his insignia with those of a Lieutenant Colonel.

"You knew about this, didn't you?"

Colonel Carter shrugged in response to her husband's accusation. "Maybe." Ignoring protocol, she planted a quick kiss on his cheek. "Congratulations."

"I can stay on SG-1, right?"

"Of course." General Hammond assured him, knowing better than to part the pair.

"Sweet!"

"Now," President Kinsey cut in, his eyes twinkling as he smiled proudly at the other man."Raise your right hand and repeat after me. I, Jack O'Neill."

"I, Jack O'Neill..."



THE END