Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Nine Long Months

by Purplepenguin1013
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
The last chapter in a monthly glimpse into Sam's pregnancy. Read the other chapters first, starting with Eight More Months. Thanks to Zorb for the beta. Feedback is always appreciated.
Nine Long Months

Nine Long Months

by purplepenguin1013

Summary: It had been a long nine months
Category: Humor
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Author's Notes: The last chapter in a monthly glimpse into Sam's pregnancy. Read the other chapters first, starting with Eight More Months. Thanks to Zorb for the beta. Feedback is always appreciated.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/06/06

Teal'c was a genius.
Though Sam herself was no Peg Bundy, her astrophysics doctorate, ground-breaking particle accelerator, and past experience blowing up celestial bodies ultimately couldn't compare to Teal'c's superior intellect.
She felt another contraction ripple through her and squeezed her alien friend's proffered hand, gritting her teeth to remain quiet. She didn't want to alert the men occupying the truck's front seats to her current condition. The safety of the foursome's arrival at the hospital would be greater ensured if Jack and Daniel didn't know she was in labor.
Upon realizing that she was in fact in labor, Sam had delayed going to the hospital for as long as possible. However, after two contractions rendered her unable to sit up until they were over, she had begun contemplating how she was going to tell the boys it was time.
It was then that Teal'c had first discovered her situation- she was curled on her bed gripping the comforter as the pain receded when she opened her eyes to see his concerned face hovering above her.
"Major Carter, are you well?"
"Teal'c, I think it's time," Sam responded, pushing herself off the bed.
"I will inform O'Neill and Daniel Jackson."
"No, wait!" Sam grabbed his arm before he could leave the room. "We need to go but...I don't want to tell them what's happening yet."
Teal'c raised an enquiring eyebrow.
"Last week Jack overheard me say `It's time' on the phone with Cassie, in reference to her breaking up with her boyfriend. He and Daniel only realized they had left for the hospital without me when they were trying to explain themselves to the police officer who pulled them over for speeding."
Teal'c considered her words for a moment before turning his head to the side and replying.
"Do you require assistance walking?"
"I think I can make it to the car on my own."
"You may entrust the rest to me."
Intrigued, Sam followed Teal'c out of the room. Jack and Daniel were sprawled in front of the television, apparently equally engrossed an episode of America's Next Top Model. The next commercial break indicated they were three hours into an eight hour marathon. Huh. She could probably leave them and they wouldn't even notice.
But Teal'c, genius that he was, had a better idea.
"O'Neill," he began, standing near the foyer Sam's suitcase in hand, "I do not believe we have traversed the distance from your home to the hospital at this time of day. Is this not an hour when vehicle traffic is unpredictable?"
Jack and Daniel blinked up at him, their Tyra-induced reverie broken.
"It would be prudent for us to attempt the journey now, in preparation for the arrival of your offspring. It is wise to rehearse a routine to ensure its efficient execution."
Sam wondered if Teal'c looked up alternate ways to say cliched phrases in his spare time.
"Yeah, practice makes perfect," Jack agreed eyeing Teal'c as though he, too, was trying to decide if the Jaffa's elaborate phrasing was intentional. "We can pick up more ice cream on the way back. And peanut butter."
"We need more chips, too," Daniel chimed in, waving an empty bag.
"Yes. And pretzels." Jack's glare now shifted to Sam.
She considered dropping the bomb right then just to see them panic, but instead simply returned his look with the stare she had developed over the past nine months. It was the one that plainly said, "You did this to me, you deal with the consequences. And if you don't like it, you can sleep on the couch."
Jack's face quickly became apologetic as he sprang from the couch, kissed her on the cheek, and moved to lock the back door.
Thus, Sam found herself on the road to the hospital with one extremely cunning alien beside her and two completely unsuspecting men in the front of the car.
Jack pulled up in front of the hospital and turned to address Teal'c. "So, Master Teal'c, are you satisfied with our- Hey, where's he going?"
Sam unclenched her jaw and looked up to see that Teal'c had exited the car and moved around to her side to help her out. She reached for his hand after he opened her door, ignoring the protestations from the front.
"Wait, not you, too!" Jack had yet to catch on.
"I thought we were getting more chips!" For a triple-doctorate scholar, Daniel could whine with the best of them.
"You may proceed to acquire your supplies. Drey'uac was in labor for twenty hours with my son. If Major Carter's experience is similar you will likely return before the birth." Teal'c bowed once before shutting the door to the truck, leaving behind the two speechless men.
Sam smirked and allowed Teal'c to help her inside.
Twenty-four hours later, Sam was no longer smirking. She was also no longer crying, cursing, or yelling at whoever was within hearing range. She was reclining back against the pillows on her hospital bed, contentedly watching the three strongest, bravest men she knew as they reverently gazed at the small bundle ensconced in Jack's arms.
"Well, aren't you just the-"
"...ten fingers, O'Neill, should we not-"
"Look at that smile! Someone already knows Daddy-"
Sam looked at the camera on the bedside table. If she could somehow get them to remove their shirts and pass around the baby, she could probably finance the kid's college education by selling the pictures. Proceeds from Daniel's alone could easily cover a public school.
Sam's glance moved from the camera to the stack of cards that Teal'c had brought from people at the SGC. She picked up the first one, opening it to reveal four personal notes from the members of SG-13. She read through each, smiling when she reached Colonel Dixon's:
"Congrats, Major. And don't worry, after you've been taking care of three, the fourth is no big deal."
She looked up to see that the baby had been placed back in the hospital bassinette. Jack seemed to be frantically searching his pockets while Daniel stood looking nonchalantly towards the corner of the room, one hand holding Jack's yo-yo behind his back. Teal'c had gained control of the remote and was focused on the TV mounted in the ceiling corner. Evidently, confirming the existence of all ten toes was less important than seeing if Marlena's memory had returned on Days of Our Lives.
It had been a long nine months.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to purplepenguin1013