Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Aschen Confederation

by A Karswyll
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 4

Fraiser Residence, Washington, DC
August 13, 2010

Janet passed out cups of coffee to Daniel and Cassie and ensured the fruit bowl was close to Teal'c, who was scheduled to return to Chulak on the coming weekend, as they sat around her kitchen table. A table that was crowded with newspaper and magazine printouts and papers and what looked like part of a thesis.

"So what I've discovered is that 'Traditionalists' is a broad term used to describe those that eschew the Aschen. In general the people that it labels are the more conservative religious organisations—Hutterites, Mennonite, Amish, among others—xenophobic cults, and people who for personal reason chose not to be vaccinated," Daniel reported.

"They always make it seem like a single organised group in the news," Cassie commented as she sat on the couch with a dozing Boomer at her feet.

"It isn't. It's more political factions of our society."

"That is unfortunate," Teal'c remarked.

Janet nodded her agreement. If it had been a cohesive organisation then maybe they could have spoken to a member. But that did not mean they could not be mobilised… if they could talk to the right people and did not get killed because of what they knew.

"So, did you get a hold of Uncle Jack?" Cassie asked the Jaffa.

"I did not," Teal'c informed them regretfully.

"Did you at least leave him a message?" Daniel inquired as he thought Jack would at least be willing to talk with Teal'c.

"I did not," Teal'c said again. "There was no method of leaving a message as there was no one in residence."

"He wasn't at the cabin?" Cassie exclaimed in astonishment.

Janet knew her face reflected her daughter's surprise. She clearly remembered Jack stating at his retirement, which had occurred a few months after Disclosure that he had sold his Colorado Springs home and was moving permanently to Minnesota.

"So, where is he?" Janet furrowed her brow perplexedly.

"I know not," Teal'c answered gravely.

"Oh God, you don't think they did something do you?" Cassie looked horrified.

Janet admitted to herself that the thought sacred her too, she just hoped because of the publicity that had surrounded SGC personnel—did even now, but had been particularly intense then...

"No, I don't think so. If they'd felt it necessary, they would have done it in the beginning. Years later, after he's been fully…" Daniel hesitated as he seemed to search for a word. "Discredited? No, that's not quite right either—dismissed maybe? Well, anyway, with them in control of the media and stargate, they'd have no worries about him trying to do anything I think."

Janet just hoped Daniel was right.

"Well, if he isn't at the cabin, I guess we'll have to look for him." Daniel declared.

"How?" Janet asked.

"Newspapers, gossip magazines, and chat-threads," Cassie offered. "He used to lead SG-1. O'Neill sightings are more infamous than Elvis."

"That's a good idea Cassie," Janet acknowledged. "Do you remember reading about any sightings recently?"

Cassie shook her head. "No, I stopped keeping track after he left us. But, if we do a search of those things though, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find a sighting and search to see if Uncle Jack really was the one spotted in the area and if he's living there."

"Okay," Daniel nodded in her daughter's direction. "So you and Janet will search for news of sightings and I'll dig deeper into the Traditionalists. Teal'c, could you please try and see if there is anyone off-world, or anything, that might be able to help us when you leave this weekend?"

"I shall inquire DanielJackson," Teal'c nodded regally.

"Good," Daniel said with satisfaction and turned the conversation to telling them more about what he had researched on the Traditionalists and Aschen.

. . .

In a fully fortified and shielded bunker three stories underground and meters from his home, Jack finished relating the most recent information to the Jaffa on the other end of the communication stone.

"Production of the drug has resumed?" Jack inquired.

The portly head bearing the black tattoo of Apophis nodded. "It was discovered that one of the ingredient crops had been contaminated by fertiliser used on a neighbouring crop."

"So not sabotage?"

Maz'rai shook his head. "The farmer who supplied the crop owned both fields and was very upset to learn that the defect in that drug batch resulted from airborne contamination. I believe his upset as his wife is Jaffa and one of his two children received some of the contaminated drug."

"The child is recovering?" Jack expressed his concern.

"All those that fell ill are recovering well," Maz'rai reported.

"Good," Jack gave a nod and Maz'rai continued speaking.

"Information about the airborne contamination has been distributed to the other farmers. The scientists have begun conducting tests upon ingredients to discover what other methods could possibly contaminate supplies."

Jack nodded again. Pleased that when the Jaffa on the drug had begun falling ill it had quickly been recognised as being isolated to those that were taking the new batch and the source of the problem quickly identified. Quicker than anyone would have found the same on Earth he was sure, but then again when one's own life and people depended on a drug to keep living he supposed Earth's response would have been pretty quick too.

"Is there anything else to report on that front?" Jack asked.

"There is not O'Neill."

"Alright, so only thirty percent of your Jaffa are on the drug and most of the Jaffa that do have symbiotes, those symbiotes should begin maturing within the next year or so."

"Indeed. It would be most wise if we moved soon so that we did not have to continue concealing the existence of the drug."

"I know Maz'rai, but until we get at least one more allied planet on board I won't take the risk."

Maz'rai's face briefly showed his disappointment before looking resigned.

Jack could guess what the look had been about. He was not just balancing the needs of the Jaffa but all the worlds and people of those worlds against each other. Sometimes the needs of the many did outweigh the needs of the few even when those few were all Maz'rai, and many other Jaffa, were only really concerned about.

"But, if you feel the need to distribute more of the drug, keep it to the more isolated Jaffa planets. Ones that they don't have addresses to. I'll transmit the authorisation to you and Hak'tyl and leave distribution up to your discretion." Suiting actions to words, Jack proceeded to enter and transmit the authorisation codes through the stone. While all the manufacturing and rendering technology was Goa'uld, it had all been code locked so that the machines only produced a certain amount of the drugs, which helped regulate the tight control over distribution. It was the best Jack could offer and the only thing he would allow his Jaffa supporters to do for now.

"Thank you O'Neill," Maz'rai memorised the codes he received that would authorise him to increase the drugs production. "We shall speak again within a fortnight?"

"Yes," Jack agreed already looking away from the stone, as Maz'rai ended the transmission on his end, to the wall calendar on his left.

Scheduled check-ins were marked down, carefully coded by symbols or a word that would only make sense to a few in the know to identify the individual calling. His teleconference call with Maz'rai was the only one of the day—other reports had simply been messages transmitted via the subspace network and already dealt with—so Jack rose from his seat and made his way from the bunker into the evening air.