Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Aschen Confederation

by A Karswyll
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 13

Chulak, Apep System
Parmoute, Peret

The four sentries on duty at Chulak's chappa'ai relaxed a smidge when they recognised the grandfatherly face and Apophis mark on the forehead of the Jaffa that had just stepped onto the planet.

"Chel hol, Mer Maz'rai," a Chulakian Jaffa respectfully greeted the visiting Jaffa by his title.

Maz'rai inclined his head in acknowledgment of the greeting. "Is Mer Teal'c here?"

"He is Sir," the Jaffa responded as he indicated the groomed path from the chappa'ai to the former Goa'uld palace and administrative centre that had become the Chulak Jaffa's capital city.

Maz'rai inclined his head again, shifted the weight of his satchel, and proceeded to walk to the Jaffa populated city. Upon reaching his destination he made further inquiries of Teal'c's location and was directed to the training grounds on the outskirts of the palace complex.

"Ah, Maz'rai," Bra'tac greeted the leader of the Jaffa on Apepi from his position seated on a stool on the edge of the training grounds. His seat provided him a full view of the area and training students.

"Master Bra'tac," Maz'rai returned respectfully, truly pleased to see the man's health so improved from his last visit to Chulak. "It is a pleasure to see you about."

Bra'tac's smile indicated that he was pleased to be out of his sickbed—brought on by old age and a maturing symbiote—as well. "You have come to speak with Teal'c I presume?"

"That is correct," Maz'rai replied as he looked at those on the grounds, his eyes finding Teal'c where he was instructing a pair of young Jaffa men with bashaak. When Maz'rai looked back at Bra'tac the old master waved him onto the training ground. Inclining his head respectfully once more to Bra'tac, Maz'rai crossed the grounds and approached Teal'c.

"Chel hol, Mer Teal'c," Maz'rai greeted formally, his use of Teal'c's title indicating that his visit was not strictly personal and he wished to speak with Teal'c about matters of the state.

Teal'c paused in his instructions and turned to the older white haired Jaffa. "Chel hol, Mer Maz'rai," Teal'c returned as he turned the bashaak he was holding over to the closest young warrior. "You have matters you wish to discuss?"

"I do, but may I speak them in confidence?" Maz'rai inquired as he gestured towards the wooded area to the north of them.

"You may," Teal'c responded and the two Jaffa presidents began to walk in companionable silence. Teal'c made no effort to start or begin a conversation as he knew Maz'rai would speak when he was prepared to.

Sometime later, after they had penetrated deep into the wooded area and come across a forest glen that Teal'c was familiar with having retreated to the place on occasion to meditate on troubling matters and thoughts.

Maz'rai indicated the grass and seated himself with Teal'c following suit. For a moment the two Jaffa regarded each other sombrely and then Maz'rai removed his satchel and set it to the side.

"Word has come to me," Maz'rai began, "that you are inquiring about support for Earth."

Teal'c nodded his head.

"Support not only from Jaffa, but from others, such as strong human populated planets." Maz'rai elaborated. "What is your sudden interest, even with your long history and allegiance to the Tau'ri, in finding support for Earth?"

Teal'c responded calmly, "I have learned some distressing information regarding the planet."

"You mean, regarding Earth's alliance with the Aschen Confederation," Maz'rai corrected.

Teal'c warily studied the face of the older Jaffa but could make no guesses at his motives.

"You are not the only one to have concerns about the Confederation," Maz'rai stated blandly.

"Do you count yourself amongst these others?" Teal'c inquired.

"I do," Maz'rai responded as he reached into his satchel and withdrew a Goa'uld tablet and page turner and offered them to Teal'c. "But more importantly, your inquiries on Hak'tyl have brought you to the attention of these others. I will leave this with you to read and meditate upon."

Teal'c accepted the tablet curiously and watched as Maz'rai rose, leaving his satchel where he had placed it, and retreated to leave Teal'c to read and contemplate what he was about to read in silence.

. . .

Several hours later Maz'rai returned to the forest glen to find Teal'c mediating. Reaching underneath his Jaffa robes Maz'rai pulled out the naquadah amulet that he was required to wear in the presence of other Jaffa to mask that he no longer carried a prim'ta. Standing on the edge of the glen for a moment he swung the amulet like a pendulum and then as it swung towards Teal'c once again released the amulet.

Teal'c snapped out of kelno'reem as his hand snagged the tossed amulet from the air. He looked with puzzlement at the ankh amulet in his hand feeling the buzz of the naquadah but then suddenly he looked up at Maz'rai in sheer bafflement. He was no longer feeling a symbiote from Maz'rai.

Holding Teal'c's eyes Maz'rai loosened his robes and lifted up the edge of his tunic to reveal the knitted together flesh of his prim'ta pouch.

Teal'c's hand fisted on the ankh amulet as he stared in disbelief. Not understanding how Maz'rai could live without a symbiote. "How?"

"While the Veritas files tells of the actions of the Aschen, the resistance has taken into consideration all peoples—especially those that were affected by the release of the Aschen's poison," Maz'rai responded as he dropped his tunic, rearranged his robes, and approached Teal'c.

Sitting himself in the spot he had vacated hours earlier, Maz'rai reached into his satchel and pulled out a vial of indigo liquid. "With the assistance of the Tok'ra and Asgärd, a synthetic drug has been devised that replaces our need for a symbiote. Apepi and other Jaffa worlds of the resistance are already on the drug."

Maz'rai held the vial out to Teal'c. "For you as I know your prim'ta grows in age."

The tremble in Teal'c hand was masked only when he fisted his fingers around the offered vial. His eyes locked with Maz'rai as the other man remained holding onto the offered drug.

"For now, it is only for you. But if you join the resistance, it is for your people." Maz'rai said quietly as he released his hold on the vial.

Teal'c looked at the vial in his hand and then back to Maz'rai. "Who commands you?"

A corner of Maz'rai's mouth lifted in a half smile, "The man who commanded you."

Teal'c's hands tightened around the vial and ankh amulet he still held. "Then I renew my pledge to him once more."

The half smile on Maz'rai's face turned to an expression of pleasure as he reached into his satchel once again and this time withdrew an Asgärd tablet. "Why don't you renew that vow yourself?"

Teal'c looked disbelieving for a moment at Maz'rai before he exchanged the ankh amulet for the Asgärd computer. Maz'rai hung the amulet around his neck once again as Teal'c powered up the device and waited.

For a few moments the screen was blank and then Jack O'Neill's face filled the screen.