Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Stargate: Faerûn

by puiwaihin
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 30: Mortal Combat

"I demand Trial by Combat!" Torio Claven declared.

Lord Nasher Alagondar had just finished rendering his judgment on the case when Torio made her demand. He had declared that the Luskan representatives would be removed from Neverwinter and that the Arcane Brotherhood contingent in the city was to be removed and barred from returning. As Lord of Neverwinter, he had no place to punish them for crimes that occurred on Luskan lands, but he could impose sanctions on the city for their fraud and knowingly bringing false accusations to his court. The Luskan Ambassador enjoyed diplomatic protection status, so he could not detain her or her retinue, but he could make her persona non grata as part of his verdict and evict her from the city.

"I've had quite enough of you, Ambassador," Nasher declared gruffly. He had no intention of indulging her ridiculous demand.

Reverend Oleff Uskar, however, was very reluctantly prodded into acknowledging that Torio had the right to demand trial by combat. It was the law, and not even the Lord of Neverwinter could supersede the law in a matter such as this.

"You can't be serious!" Jack O'Neill and Tamil declared simultaneously.

"Wait!" Daniel called out. He hurriedly made his point. "Torio does have the right to call for Trial by Combat. As the one the judgment has gone against, it is her right. But this no longer has anything to do with Tamil. Lord Nasher's judgment relieves her of any responsibility for Ember and she cannot be taken to Luskan." Everyone in the throne room turned to regard Daniel. "The law is very clear on this. Torio has the right to appeal the decision to hold Luskan to blame for bringing these accusations, but Lord Nasher's word exonerates Squire Farlong."

It took Judge Oleff several a few minutes to look through the relevant section of the law. When finished, he confirmed Daniel's interpretation. Trial by Combat was an appeal of the punishment levied, but did not overturn the court's pronouncement of Tamil's innocence. She was free of the accusation. As such, Lord Nasher was free to appoint anyone in his service as the champion for the city.

Torio's trap had failed. Tamil was not bound by law to enter the arena where she could send a warrior to cut her down. Worse, she was now facing Trial by Combat. Her last hope lay upon a champion stepping forward to take her place in the arena. For a few nervous seconds, Lorne hesitated to represent her. He would have loved to see Torio's head hanging from a Neverwinter pike. But he knew if he allowed that to happen Black Garius would do far worse to him than that. The brawny warrior from West Harbor stood forward and declared himself Torio's champion, and the ambassador let out a sigh of relief.

Lord Nasher prepared to name Neverwinter's champion when Tamil strode before his throne. "I will face him myself," she declared. Nasher attempted to dissuade her, offering to give the duty to one of his strongest knights, but Tamil shook her head. "I demand the right to face him, milord. He murdered a small village and muddied my name with that hateful act. He has betrayed his home, the home I love and share. Not just Neverwinter, milord, but the village of West Harbor where we are both from. If anyone has the right to stand up to him for what he has done, it is me." The entire court could hear her passion. There were cheers of approbation from the crowd in the back of the throne room. "I swear I will see justice done on the field of battle."

Nasher saw the steely resolve in her eyes. Reluctantly, he acceded to her request. He had long wanted a means of removing Luskan's influence from his city. He was putting his faith in Tamil here and hoped it was not misplaced. She would face Lorne Starling in combat to determine the fate of the city.


.


"Are you crazy?" Jack rounded on her when they were outside the castle. "That man is huge! He's like ten feet tall or something! And he looks like a linebacker," Jack saw her confusion and quickly switched metaphors. "Make that a bear. A bear with a big… massive sword."

Tamil was all sweetness for her friend. She laid her hand on his shoulder and gave him one of her brilliant smiles. "Jack, thanks so much for your concern. It's really touching." Then she pulled out her longsword and watched it humming with energy. "But you don't need to worry about me. I'm going to be just fine. It's Lorne Starling you should be worried about."

Jack shook his head. "I don't know Lorne Starling. But I know you. I don't want to see you get hurt."

Tamil laughed. "Oh, I'm going to get hurt, Jack. I have no doubt about that! I don't imagine I can go up against a brute like that without some injuries." She smirked and sheathed her weapon. "But when I'm finished, his mother will have a whole new reason to cry over him."

Daniel and Sand approached the pair, followed by Sam and Teal'c.

"Tamil," Daniel began, "Sand and I were talking about the rules of the tournament. None of us can help you once the battle begins and you will be ritually cleansed of any sort of enchantment at the start of the battle. But we have a full day to prepare and you are permitted to bring anything you can carry into the arena."

"Sounds pretty typical," she responded.

"Well, we have some ideas about equipping you. And we've still got quite a bit of gold left after all of our expenses. So, let's see about getting you a few things to improve your chances," Samantha Carter responded.

Tamil's eyes brightened at the idea. Shopping for a battle? What more could a lady-bard ask for?

Seeing Tamil's reaction, Jack motioned to Daniel to join him. "Daniel," Jack said quietly to the archaeologist, "if we ever bring Tamil with us back to Earth, make sure you never lend her your credit card."

Daniel shook his head. "Hey, I'm not the one she seems to have an eye for. I'd be more worried about your bank accounts than mine, Colonel."

Jack shook his head ruefully. He knew Tamil's flirting for what it was. "I wish, Daniel." Then for good measure, the colonel added, "But you definitely better watch out for Neeshka."

Daniel gave Jack a wary look. "I'm not worried about her using my credit card. I'd be more worried about her finding out about identity theft. That would be a disaster."

Jack and Daniel shared a glance and then followed the others to a number of merchant stalls. Hearing the girls chatting about how the colors of the gem in magical ring A clashed with magical pendant B, the two sighed heavily. It was going to be a long day for the men.


.


Tamil Farlong stood surrounded by her friends as she prepared for the combat. The group had pooled their most potent magical items for her to wear into the battle, and in the end, function had won out over form, even when it came to a question of clashing colors. Still, the lady bard looked absolutely fabulous.

The group had stopped by Werth the Armor Smith's shop in the Docks District but had been disappointed by his selection. Surprisingly, however, Grobnar had gotten some inspiration from looking at several of his suits of armor and simply purchased materials to make a suit for her. Everyone regarded the eccentric gnome (although they were fast learning that the term 'eccentric gnome' was an oxymoron) with skepticism knowing his penchant for folly. It turned out, however, that his claim of having made an exotic spring-mounted codpiece shield was probably not an exaggeration. When he finally finished late in the day, the gnome had crafted a suit of plate male armor that fit the lady bard snugly and was as light and as mobile as the chain mail she had been wearing.

Now she stood wearing the armor that shone brilliant silver in the sun's light. She was suited from head to foot in mithral. The armor was as light as if it were made of tin, but even sturdier than if it had been forged of steel. Grobnar had even managed to add ornamental details to the masterpiece of workmanship, a wing-shaped flair shooting off from her right shoulder, and decoratively shaped pieces at the waist and bosom area that did her figure credit.

As soon as Khelgar had seen what the gnome was up to, the dwarf pulled Sand aside. After a short discussion, the two had gone out to visit Repko the Weapon Smith's shop to get supplies of their own. When Grobnar finished presenting his finished set of armor, it was Khelgar's turn.

"Not bad, gnome," the dwarf had acknowledged. "That's a fine suit o' armor even a dwarf would be proud to own." Grobnar had beamed at the praise. Then Khelgar had continued, "But no Ironfist is to be outdone by a Gnomehands! The only way ta top yer armor made o' mithral, was t' make a sword that can pierce it! So…"

With that proclamation, Khelgar had produced a magnificent longsword. It was patterned after the one Tamil had taken from the bandit chief back in Fort Locke, but the blade itself was much darker and the runes inscribed on its surface were deeper and far more refined. When Tamil had first lifted the sword up by the hilt, a familiar sonic humming reverberated from the weapon, the same as from the Astral Blade she had been carrying since taking it from the fallen bandit. Only the hum from Khelgar's gift was far more powerful.

"Had Sand here enchant it fer ya when I forged it. Ain't no better weapon than when a dwarf an' elf work a forge together." Sand tacked on his own accolades.

Now Tamil stood preparing to walk into the arena with that weapon in hand. She had to admit, neither the dwarf nor the elf were wrong about the quality of their craftsmanship. This was as powerful a weapon as she had ever heard of. It was forged of adamantine, a fact which Khelgar had related with a smirk when introducing the weapon. Few things could stand up to a weapon forged of this rare ore, including suits of mithral. Sand's enchantments enhanced the weapon's raw power, and the reinforced sonic energy was deadly.

There was a last minute effort to dissuade Tamil from her course, but it was half-hearted. They all knew she was going through with her choice. Khelgar and Casavir had both offered to fight in her stead the previous night, which she had spent in the Temple of Tyr as part of a ritual vigil. There was no question then, and there was none now that the bard was determined.

"Are you sure you don't want me or Teal'c to fight for you?" Jack asked. "I could always just zat him a few times. And if that didn't work, I've got my P90 and grenades."

Tamil shook her head. "No thanks, Jack. Honestly, I think you could handle Lorne in a straight up sword fight. No need to rely on your other weapons. The last few times we've sparred we've been pretty close to even, and I was even using my magic to boost my skill against you. But I want to do this myself. I know you understand."

And with that the bard began walking down towards the arena. The place was filled with spectators. Lord Nasher and Judge Oleff were both on hand to watch the spectacle, as were many members of the Watch. There were many commoners as well, hoping nothing more than to be entertained. As Tamil crossed the threshold to the entrance, a cleric of Tyr dispelled any magics on her. Then a soldier lit a line of pitch behind her to prevent anyone from interfering.

"Daniel, maybe you can explain this for me. Or maybe you, Teal'c," Sam asked. "Why does a trial overseen by Tyr, supposedly a god of Justice, allow for such an unfair way of settling a dispute? How does this actually prove anything about who is guilty and who is innocent? I mean, even if Tamil wins—when she wins—it won't prove anything."

Tamil and Lorne approached each other and met in the middle of the arena. Lord Nasher called for each side to announce themselves. Lorne announced himself, claiming to represent Ember. Tamil gave him a dark look and announced that she was ready. Then Judge Oleff explained how the trial would legally settle the issue before them and the city.

Lorne attempted to provoke Tamil, but the bard simply gave the massive brute a cold stare in return. Then she offered a few of her own taunts.

"Your mother would be so disappointed in you, you know. So would your brother." Then she smirked at him and added, "You couldn't even beat Cormick at the Harvest Festival back in West Harbor. Sad. You have no chance at all against me."

Lorne's eyes flared with fury and he shouted a threat before retreating to his end of the arena for the start of combat. Tamil just smirked more and walked back to her own end to prepare herself.

Daniel took the opportunity to answer Dr. Carter's question. "This trial system was originally designed for the faithful of Tyr to use in disputes among themselves. But the City of Neverwinter has been under the patronage of Tyr since its founding. When disputes among nobles arose, the Lord of Neverwinter simply adopted the trial system from Tyr's temple directly without modification."

The combat began with Lorne charging straight at Tamil. Lorne's massive, jagged falchion was raised high above his head. When he got to her position, however, she simply disappeared from sight. Lorne was left looking around the arena for where the bard could have gone.

"Nice invisibility spell," Sam commented. "Tamil certainly has a number of tricks up her sleeve. That's allowed I guess?"

"It's part of the rules of combat. Any ability you have is fair to use during combat. Makes it fair for wizards like us, I guess. It's also the way that paladins and clerics of Tyr could prove they were innocent. Tyr doesn't grant his powers to the unworthy. So, a worthy combatant would have a major advantage over an unworthy one. If there were two worthy combatants, then the fight would be roughly even in abilities, but the temple believes a wrongly accused combatant will be given additional strength directly by Tyr."

"But how does this apply to Tamil and Lorne? Neither of them get their strength or power from Tyr," Jack asked.

Tamil reappeared in the arena at a distance from Lorne, but still partially transparent, her improved invisibility spell not completely cancelled by taking a hostile action. The massive barbarian had been yelling insults, calling Tamil a coward. But now it was Tamil advancing on Lorne, singing a song as she approached. Tamil's face and hands hardened visibly into iron, as did the rest of her body beneath her shining suit of armor. The illusory figures that she had called into being while invisible mimicked her every action.

With her magical protections cast, the bard pulled out the heavy adamantine shield which had been hooked behind her back. This massive piece of metal had been discovered during her adventuring rather than made for her by her friends, but Sand had taken it upon himself to add a strong defensive enchantment to the already nearly impenetrable piece of adamantine.

"It doesn't apply to them," Daniel responded, referring to Dr. Carter's earlier question. "Which is why Tamil's wearing that magical belt which makes a person stronger, and the ring that heals your wounds which Jack got in Port Last."

"And don't forget those cute matching kung-fu boots," Grobnar added, copying the mannerisms the girls had used while at shopping for items for this battle.

Lorne was a brutish fighter, but he was well trained with the massive falchion he was carrying. And that falchion had been enchanted heavily by his employers. He swung the blade in an arc trying to strike down his difficult to spot opponent. He missed, badly.

Tamil struck, cutting a quick gash across Lorne's waist, the adamantine blade slicing through the large man's armor, which was made of animal hides. The bard followed the strike up with a deft thrust that pierced the armor again, striking a point just above the man's hip. Lorne attempted to counter, turning to face the direction the attack was coming from, but only managed to cut one of Tamil's illusory images out of existence.

The bard easily tumbled away from her attacker, then struck a direct blow toward Lorne which he caught on his blade and attempted to direct away from himself. But Tamil locked her weapon on his and pushed forward, matching his brawn with her own magically augmented strength while out-finessing his parry. Her blade continued through to score a cut on his throat. She danced back, but continued to assault him.

Tamil hadn't even taken a scratch, yet. The few times Lorne even managed to strike at her, rather than an illusory image, the bard simply blocked the strike with her shield and then counter-thrust. Blood was pouring from several wounds the barbarian had taken. His side was bleeding badly, and there were many smaller cuts and gashes along the man's arms and legs. Even had he managed to strike her soundly, the ironskin enchantment she was under would have absorbed most of the damage.

And then Tamil knocked Lorne's falchion away with a powerful upwards swing, drew her sword arm back by the elbow, and stabbed her sonically charged blade straight through his stomach. The blade pierced his armor and ripped his guts open with the power of its enchantment. It was a mortal blow unless he received immediate medical help.

Lorne screamed. It was not a scream of pain, though. It was a scream of incredible rage.

The man went into a frenzy of motion. His sword slashed back and forth, wiping the remaining illusory images away in an instant. Catching Tamil off-guard, he brought his weapon across in an arc that evaded her shield and sliced down wickedly into her side. The blade caught her in a seam just where the upper armor met the lower leggings. The incredibly strong material slowed the blow somewhat as the blade passed between the layers, but it still caught her in an exposed section of her armor. Blood began to pour down the bright silver of Tamil's exquisite plate male.

"You think you've hurt me?" Lorne yelled at her. "You haven't even scratched me!" And the mountainous man came on, swinging his falchion furiously.

Tamil backpedaled, but not quickly enough. Lorne slashed again across her chest plate, too fast for her to get her shield up to block. Her armor held, but the blow rocked her backwards. Even with her magically increased strength, Lorne's rage had made his own might dwarf hers. The barbarian was now able to overpower her defenses. She knew it was foolish to stand there with him toe to toe while he was in this state. She had struck him again, but it seemed as if her blow had no effect at all now.

Tamil gathered herself and dodged to the left when the man tried an overhand chop. Then as Lorne was correcting, turning to charge at her again, she pulled a potion from a pouch on her belt and quickly downed the contents. The potion held enchantment she knew how to cast herself, but she didn't dare take the time to try to cast it while the barbarian was right on top of her. She felt the effects of the potion of speed kick in and got out of Lorne's reach.

The bard turned her back on her opponent and sped away from him, her feet carrying her away from the hulking brute behind her as if she were a champion sprinter. Lorne charged after her, quick for his size, but no match for her magically enhanced speed. He called insults at her, futilely demanding that she stand still. But she danced out of reach again, not even bothering to attempt to attack him as she turned in a circle away from him.

It took a full minute for the blood loss to set in, with Lorne constantly lunging after her, his obvious bloodlust and anger empowering him that whole time. Finally, Lorne jerked to a stop, and began panting heavily. He was wounded and winded, his spent rage sapping what was left of his adrenalin fueled energy.

Tamil, on the other hand, was already feeling better. No sooner than she got out of range of Lorne's attacks than she felt the healing magic from the ring on her finger begin closing up the wounds she had taken. She wasn't back to full health quite yet, but she was still fresh. With one blow to knock Lorne's falchion away and one more with the flat of her blade to knock him to his knees, Tamil Farlong had the Luskan champion at her mercy.

"For your brother's sake, Lorne, surrender. I've won."

"You… you think you've won?" Lorne groaned from a kneeling position on his knees. "You've won nothing! Garius lives. He seeks your death and you will not be able to stop him. So go on. Kill me. If you have the courage."

Tamil laughed scornfully at him. "It takes no courage to murder a defenseless man. That's the act of a coward. I'm not going to kill someone who doesn't fight back." And then Tamil turned her back on Lorne and began walking away, sheathing her sword.

The large man cursed Tamil under his breath, then with a last burst of adrenalin rose to his feet and lunged after the retreating bard with his jagged bladed falchion raised up behind him. A cry rose up from the crowd.

But Tamil had known what was going to happen. She had known the kind of man Lorne had become. Mercy and fairness were not words he understood any more. And so when Lorne's shadow shifted, Tamil spun and pointed the 9mm Beretta Jack O'Neill had given her for the tournament, and pulled the trigger. Lorne's corpse fell to the ground with a bullet hole over his heart.

Jack O'Neill watched the events play out. "Justice is served," he declared grimly.

Teal'c nodded. "It appears even in an arena Tyr will see that justice is done."

"Tyr, Beretta, or Tamil Farlong," Jack commented, "the result is the same."

Kapitel Abschlussbemerkung:

Author's Notes: A few of the lines to and from Lorne are taken directly from the NWN2 OC dialog files. The remaining notes concern D&D stats and equipment.


As of the end of this chapter, Tamil is a level 12 bard with both medium armor proficiency and the armored caster feet. Mithral Full Plate is counted as medium armor.

In addition to the armor, Tamil is also equipped with:

Adamantine Heavy Shield +4 (found during adventuring, but enchanted using a canary diamond and the necessary essences)

Bracers of Armor +4 (which work according to NWN2 rules, giving an AC armor bonus to the character rather than acting as base armor)

Ring of Regeneration (purchased in Port Last)

Ring of Protection +2

City Watch Cloak

Luckstone

Belt of Hill Giant Strength (goes well with her 19 strength)

Boots of the Sunsoul +4 (her UMD skill allows her to use them at this point)

Adamantine Longsword +4, 1d6 sonic damage, 2 magic damage (crafted by Khelgar, enchanted by Sand)