Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

A Ready Made Family

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Here is the second part.
Enjoy
Daniel stared at the phone on his desk; he reached out and picked it up before putting it down again.

“Just call,” he muttered to himself before picking the phone up once more and dialling.

“Hello?” the woman he’d been hoping to speak to answered.

“Sha’re, it’s Daniel,” he managed to keep his voice steady; “I hope I’m not bothering you.”

Sha’re laughed slightly, “Your calls are never a bother. Do you want to speak to Nicky?”

“Yeah but first I wanted to ask you about Christmas,” Daniel said quickly, “I was hoping I could come and spend it with you and Nicky or you guys could come here.”

“Oh,” Sha’re breathed making Daniel wince, “I’m sorry, Daniel but Debbie has already invited us to spend it with her and her family.”

“No...”

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t realise you would want to...”

“It’s okay,” Daniel cut her off, “I have to go, I’ll call in a few days to see when’s best for me to come and give Nicky his presents.”

“Daniel...” Sha’re started but Daniel cut her off.

“Bye,” he said before dropping the phone back into its cradle and sighing, it looked like he would be spending Christmas working again.


Sha’re felt guilt spiral through her as she heard the dial tone, Daniel was obviously upset about not getting to spend Christmas with his nephew. He’d not even hung on to talk to Nicky.

“Debbie,” Sha’re said the moment her friend answered, “I need to talk to you.”

“Sure thing,” Debbie replied, “You sound worried.”

“I’m not worried,” Sha’re explained, “More exceedingly guilty.”

“What did you do?” Debbie demanded, before calling to her boys to be quiet.

Sha’re sighed, “Daniel asked to spend Christmas with us.”

“That’s great!!” Debbie exclaimed before Sha’re’s tone hit her, “What did you do?”

“We’re coming to you,” Sha’re reminded her, “You invited us remember?”

“Sha’re,” Debbie said slowly and deliberately, “Daniel is more than welcome. In fact I insist.”

“Are you sure?” Sha’re asked worriedly, “It’s your family and I felt we were imposing to begin with.”

“Oh please,” Debbie laughed, “I want you here, not to mention if Daniel comes then Mike will have another guy to talk to who isn’t under five or my father.”

Sha’re smiled to herself, she wanted to see Daniel at Christmas, wanted Nicky to be able to spend Christmas with his adoring uncle and wanted to give him the presents she had for him, “Thanks, Debbie. I’ll call him back and let him know.”

With a smile Sha’re hung up on her friend and started dialling again.


Daniel smiled as Sha’re opened the door before grimacing as she frowned at him.

“What did you do?” she cried as she saw him laden down with presents, “Buy a mall?”

Daniel shrugged, “I’ve got to make up for the years I missed.”

Sha’re shook her head and motioned him to get inside, laughing as he almost got stuck in the door before taking pity on him and taking a few of the bags.

“You know where the guest room is,” Sha’re told him, “I’m just making a snack for when Nicky gets back from the park. Do you want something?”

“Please,” Daniel said, “The food on the plane...” he trailed off as he saw the living room decorated for the season.

“What do you think?” Sha’re asked, as he stared at the tree and the decorations.

“It looks fantastic,” he breathed, smiling as he saw the decorations made by Nicky. With a smile he headed into the guest room and dropped his bags.

He was looking forward to the next week; it would make a change for him to spend Christmas doing something other than takeout with Jack, several beers and some really bad movies.


“Uncle Daniel!!!” Nicky cried happily, running into Daniel’s arms and hugging him tightly, “Are you here for Christmas?”

“Yes, I am,” Daniel replied, “And we’re going to have lots of fun.”

Nicky beamed, hugging his uncle once more before wriggling out of his embrace and running over to hug his mother.

“What was that for?” Sha’re asked him.

“Uncle Daniel is my best present,” Nicky told her.

Sha’re laughed, especially at the stunned look on Daniel’s face, “Go and wash your hands for dinner. Then you can teach Daniel the Christmas songs you learned with Debbie.”

Nicky jumped up and ran out of the room, Sha’re smiled before she turned to Daniel.

“I’m glad you came,” she told him, “Nicky is really excited to have you here.”

Daniel moved to help her with the drinks, “Thanks for letting me.”

Sha’re smiled at him, their eyes locked and for several moments neither moved. Only when Nicky came running back in did Sha’re move away trying to act normally. Dinner was quiet with the exception of Nicky who would tell them something before he sang a little to his vegetables. Daniel watched this with delight, loving spending time with this adorable little boy.


Daniel tucked Nicky into his bed after reading him a third story, “Now, you have to go to sleep or Santa won’t come.”

“I know,” Nicky rolled his eyes, “This is your first Christmas with us, Uncle Daniel. Has Mommy told you what we do?”

Daniel laughed, “I know everything. So you go to sleep and I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Okay,” Nicky yawned cuddling his bear, “Goodnight, Uncle Daniel.”

“Goodnight, Nicky,” Daniel murmured, kissing his nephew’s forehead as the boy fell asleep.

He stood watching the boy for a few minutes so grateful that Sha’re had found him and allowed him into their lives.

Daniel headed back downstairs and gratefully took the mug of coffee Sha’re offered him, “He’s sleeping. It took a while; he’s so excited about tomorrow.”

Sha’re smiled, “He’s been excited for the past week. Trying to get him to sit still has not been easy.”

Daniel chuckled, he leaned back comfortably against the couch to watch the movie Sha’re had found. They sat together and watched the film, Daniel yawned as it finished.

“Help me set out the presents from ‘Santa’,” Sha’re told him, “Then we can go to bed.” She blushed suddenly, “I...”

“I know,” he smiled at her, “Let’s do this quickly so I can get some sleep.”


Daniel was warm and comfortable under his quilt as he slept early the next morning, he woke with a gasp as it was yanked unceremoniously off him.

“Merry Christmas, Uncle Daniel,” Nicky cried as he bounced on top of Daniel.

Daniel grabbed the little boy and pulled him onto the bed, making his giggle as Daniel tickled him.

“Well, I see you’re both awake,” Sha’re laughed as she stood in the doorway, “Do you want breakfast first or shall we see what Santa has left?”

“Santa,” Nicky cried, trying to scramble off the bed but Daniel pulled him back, “Uncle Daniel, I want to see what Santa left for us.”

“Are you sure?” Daniel teased, “I thought I’d go back to sleep.”

“Uncle Daniel!!!!” Nicky cried making the adults laugh.

Sha’re moved over to them, “Well, Nicky we could always go see what Santa left without Uncle Daniel.”

Daniel reached out and grabbed her by the arm pulling her to join them on the bed, Sha’re let out a cry as she fell on top of Daniel. Sha’re laughed as Nicky tried to tickle her but as she turned she found she was lying on top of Daniel. She froze as she looked down into his incredible blue eyes, the strength in his arms and chest made her heart flutter in a way she hadn’t felt in a long time.

“We should go and open presents,” Daniel said quickly, looking away from her.

Sha’re nodded and self consciously slid off the bed, she took her son’s hand, “Why don’t we go make some coffee and let your uncle Daniel get dressed then we can see what Santa brought you.”

Daniel sighed in relief as Sha’re took Nicky out of the room, he lay and forced his mind onto the most boring things he could think of until he felt able to face Sha’re and Nicky again. Dressing quickly he headed down the stairs to the kitchen smiling as he found Sha’re sipping some tea and a mug of coffee waiting for him. Daniel headed to retrieve his coffee only to find Nicky frowning at him.

“You took too long,” the little boy scolded.

“I’m sorry,” Daniel smiled, “I couldn’t find one of my shoes. How about we go see what Santa left for you.”


Sha’re laughed as Daniel followed Nicky with the video camera capturing his first Christmas with them. Nicky had been awed by how many presents were for him but loved to watch his mother and his uncle open their presents too.

Sha’re rested her hand at her neck where the gold necklace Daniel had given her sat. It had a small diamond set in a gold star and she loved it. Nicky had oohed and aahed when she’d opened it insisting that she wear it so Auntie Debbie could see how pretty it was. He’d also bought her a beautiful carved wooden jewellery box, which played what she was sure was Tchaikovsky every time it opened.

Daniel had opened every present they’d given him almost reverently, despite Nicky trying to hurry him up and he’d seemed extremely grateful for the gifts they’d given him.

“Okay, Nicky,” Sha’re called an end to their fun, “Put your new toys in your room then come down and we’ll have some lunch before we go to Auntie Debbie and Uncle Mike’s house. Daniel, you put your things away too.”

Daniel bounced up and gave her grin as he shut off the camera, “Yes, Ma’am.” As he gathered up the jumper, aftershave and calendar, Daniel smiled at her, “Thank you.”

“For what?” Sha’re asked confused.

“For letting me come and spend Christmas with you both,” Daniel said softly, “It means so much to me.”

Sha’re squeezed his arm, “I’m glad you came too. Nicky has been having a lot of fun with you here and I’ve enjoyed having you here also,” she took a quick breath, “Now, finish tidying up and I’ll make us some lunch.”


“How’re things going?” Jack asked after they’d exchanged the obligatory seasonal greetings.

“Good,” Daniel beamed as he looked over the gifts he’d been given, his favourite being a framed photo of him and Nicky from his birthday earlier that year, “You?”

“The usual,” Jack replied but before Daniel could feel guilty he continued, “I’m just about to head to Hammond’s house for the day. He invited me and T for Christmas dinner.”

“Are Sam and Jacob at Mark’s?” Daniel asked, feeling a slight guilty that he couldn’t remember his friend’s plans since he’d been so excited to be coming here.

“Carter is looking forward to getting the two kids hyped on sugar and then leaving her brother to deal with them,” Jack laughed, “Look I have to go. Have fun today, Danny and I’ll see you next week.”

Daniel smiled as Jack hung up; he was thrown out of his thoughts as Nicky came to get him for lunch. Daniel picked his nephew up and headed downstairs to join Sha’re.


“Merry Christmas,” Debbie greeted them as she opened the door, “Come on in, it’s...well it’s warm and sunny out there.”

Sha’re laughed, hugging her friend as they entered the house. Nicky bounced over to his two friends and was instantly shown their new toys.

“Hi again, Daniel,” Debbie smiled at him, “Glad you could make it.”

“Thanks for having me,” he replied with a grin.

Debbie chuckled, “See if you’re still thanking me after dinner.”

Daniel laughed back moving inside to join the rest of the group, he took the free seat beside Sha’re after Debbie had introduced him to her parents, Toby and Emma both who greeted him as one of the family – Debbie had obviously let them know who he was before they’d arrived. The boys were all hyper and bounced as more presents were passed out, Daniel watched feeling lucky that Sha’re had tracked him down and let him into their lives. As everyone settled down after the presents Daniel headed into the kitchen where Debbie was checking on dinner.

“Can I help?” he asked.

“Can you cook?” Debbie threw back at him making him grin.

“I was a poor student for a long time,” Daniel told her, “I can make almost anything edible.”

Debbie laughed, “That’s good to know but we’re fine. Besides it’s Mike who’s in charge of making dinner.”

“Uncle Daniel,” Nicky appeared, “Come and see Grampa Toby’s new camera.”

“I’m coming,” Daniel promised before shrugging at Debbie as his nephew dragged him out of the kitchen.


Debbie smiled as Sha’re joined her in the kitchen a few minutes later, “You’re on the wine this year I see.”

“Daniel is driving,” Sha’re smiled as she took a seat at the breakfast bar.

Debbie filled her own glass and took the seat beside her friend; she tilted her head as she spotted the new piece of jewellery sitting at her friend’s neck, “Now where did you get that. It’s gorgeous.”

Sha’re’s hand went to her throat and gently fingered the pendant, “Daniel gave it to me for Christmas.”

“Really?”

“Stop it,” Sha’re frowned, “It was a Christmas gift from a friend, there’s nothing more to read into it.”

Debbie rolled her eyes motioning her mother to join them, “Honey, that is not a gift from a friend. It’s a gift from a very interested party.”

“Debbie,” Sha’re started.

“She’s right,” Emma said as she joined them, “He likes you.”

Sha’re blushed, “There’s nothing between us. No matter what you keep trying to imply.”

“I’m not saying there’s anything between you just now,” Debbie chuckled, sharing an amused smile with her mother, “Just that mistletoe is useful for some things.”

Sha’re grimaced at her friend before sighing, “Debbie, Daniel is a wonderful man and the fact he loves Nicky is fantastic but he lives in Colorado and I’ve tried the long distance thing once before.”

“I take it that didn’t work,” Emma noted.

“Unmitigated disaster,” Sha’re replied, she sipped her wine before sighing, “Debbie, I know you seem to think I don’t want to get involved with anyone, I do. I want to fall in love and find a father for my son but...”

“You’re trying to protect Nicky; you don’t want him to get hurt,” Debbie said, she’d heard this so many times before but at her friend’s pleading look she smiled, “Okay, I’ll stop.”

“Thank you,” Sha’re smiled, “I should check that Nicky is not gorging himself before dinner.”

As she left the kitchen Emma turned to her daughter, “You’re pushing pretty hard.”

“Have you ever seen her so happy and relaxed?” Debbie asked, “Since Daniel came into her life she’s just seemed brighter, I know she looks forward to his visits almost as much as Nicky does. I’d like to see her happy.”

“Me too,” Emma laughed before winking conspiratorially, “We’ll work on them together.”


Dinner had been a success and afterwards the adults sat chatting while the three boys played with their new toys. It was several hours later when Nicky wandered into the room and climbed onto the couch squeezing into the space between Daniel and Sha’re, he closed his eyes and fell asleep almost instantly. Sha’re smiled as she hugged her son closer to her before announcing it was time to leave, Daniel helped get all Nicky’s things together before he lifted the little boy gently onto his shoulder. Nicky opened his eyes sleepily and wrapped his arms and legs around his uncle.

“Hey,” Debbie grinned as they were about to head out the door, “You two are under the mistletoe, you know what that means.”

Sha’re threw her friend a dirty look before sighing and stretched up to kiss Daniel’s cheek, “Satisfied.”

“That’s not a mistletoe kiss,” Emma scolded them, “Has to be the lips – that’s the rule,” she winked at Daniel.

Sha’re rolled her eyes at them, “We’re leaving.”

“Come on you two,” Toby called, “It’s Christmas and you need to have a proper kiss under the mistletoe.”

Daniel gave a slight laugh and leaned forward catching Sha’re’s lips with his in a brief kiss. When they parted they stared at one another for a moment before Nicky shifted in his sleep reminding them where they were.

“Goodnight,” Sha’re said pointedly to her friend before they headed to the car.

“Night,” Debbie called back cheekily.


“I’m sorry about that,” Sha’re said as they took the fast asleep Nicky to his room after they’d spent the ride home in silence.

Daniel shrugged giving a chuckle, “I’m actually very used to it. Sam and Janet seem to have this urge to set me up on blind dates a lot.”

Sha’re frowned as Daniel rested the little boy on his bed before he started to change him, she knew she had no right to feel jealous but she did.

“So, do they still set you up?” she forced her voice to remain light.

Daniel chuckled again, “I’m managing to avoid it since I started coming here. It’s amazing how they stopped when I mention I have to finish things so I can come and see Nicky.”

Sha’re smiled back at him feeling better knowing this. When Daniel finished fixing Nicky he slid the boy under the covers, Sha’re placed her son’s favourite bear in beside him before kissing his forehead.

“Do you want some tea or coffee?” Sha’re asked as they left the bedroom.

Daniel shook his head, “I’m just going to get some sleep. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Sha’re nodded, “Goodnight.”

Neither moved and Daniel looked up amused as he saw the mistletoe hanging above Nicky’s door.

“Did Debbie get in here too?” Daniel asked with a smile.

Sha’re rolled her eyes, “Nicky likes it.”

Daniel shrugged, “Well rules and all.”

To her surprise Daniel gently brushed his lips to hers in a soft lingering kiss, Sha’re let out a sigh and sank into him deepening the kiss. Sha’re’s arms wrapped around his neck as they kissed feeling Daniel’s arms around her waist as he pulled her closer. They parted both breathing heavily and Sha’re pulled away.

“Goodnight, Daniel,” she whispered as she disappeared into her room.

Daniel stared at the closed door for several minutes as he tried to get his brain working again. Finally the oxygen returned to his brain and Daniel went into his own room to try to get some sleep.


Sha’re lay staring at the ceiling wishing she could sleep, she’d been shocked by the kiss Daniel gave her though even more shocked that she responded the way she had. Sha’re knew that a relationship with Daniel was not a good idea. Long distance relationships never worked, not to mention what would happen if they did become a couple then broke up. How it would affect Nicky.

Thinking of her son Sha’re slipped out of bed and went to check on him. As she stepped into the little boy’s room she shook her head to find he’d kicked his covers off and had curled up into a small ball in the middle of the bed.

Gently she touched his arm and moved him so he was lying on the pillow before she threw the quilt over him. Sha’re looked down at her son barely able to remember a time without him.

“Mommy?” Nicky’s confused murmur made her look down.

“Go back to sleep,” Sha’re whispered stroking his hair.

Nicky sat up, “Do you want a hug?”

Sha’re smiled and lay beside her son, smiling as he wrapped his arms around her.

“I love you, Mommy,” Nicky told his mother as he fell asleep in her embrace.

Sha’re kissed her son’s head, her decision made for her. Nicky was the most important part of her life and she didn’t want to do anything that would take away the uncle he loved. She didn’t need anything other than her son.

*********************************************

Daniel winced as he could hear the phone ringing; reaching his hand out from under the covers he snagged it and pulled it over trying not to scream in pain as he aggravated his injuries.

“Hello?” he mumbled without bothering to open his eyes.

“Daniel, did I wake you?” Sha’re’s voice came.

“Just a little,” Daniel murmured, he poked his head out from under the quilt and found his glasses sliding them he winced as he saw it was almost one in the afternoon, “I worked late last night so I just got to sleep a few hours ago,” he lied before yawning, “Sorry, you’re calling for a reason.”

“About your visit this weekend,” Sha’re started.

Daniel grimaced as he sensed where she was going with this hoping he was wrong, the one thing that had kept him going during his nightmare stay in Honduras was the thought of a visit to LA, “What about it?”

“A friend of my father’s died and the funeral is this Saturday in New York,” Sha’re told him.

“You’re taking Nicky to a funeral?” Daniel asked as he sat up, gritting his teeth as he remembered why he hadn’t before now.

Sha’re let out an annoyed sigh, “Of course I’m not. Debbie’s agreed to watch him.”

“I’m coming anyway,” Daniel reminded her, “I can watch him for the weekend.” The pause at the other end of the phone made him grimace, “What?”

“You’ve never...” she trailed off and Daniel knew she was trying to be diplomatic, “Daniel, Nicky can be a handful.”

“Look, I have to do it sometime,” Daniel told her, “And Debbie will be nearby in case I need some help.”

“I have a horrible feeling I’ll regret this,” Sha’re said with a slight laugh, “But alright. Can you get here by Friday morning?”

“No problem,” Daniel smiled in relief that his trip wasn’t cancelled, “I’ll call you when I know the time of my flight.”

“That’s great, Daniel,” Sha’re told him, “We’ll see you then.”

As she hung up Daniel groaned wanting to go back to sleep, he’d spent several days trapped with a sadistic bastard trying to extract information from him then two days after that in the infirmary before Janet had allowed him home. Jacob was coming tomorrow and Janet was going to talk to him about using the healing device on Daniel’s injuries. Otherwise it was going to be a painful weekend.


“Uncle Daniel!!!!”

Daniel smiled as his nephew sped over to him; Daniel caught the boy in a hug relieved Jacob had healed him otherwise the hug wouldn’t be possible.

“Where’s your Mom?” Daniel asked the boy.

“In her room,” Nicky pointed to the stairs, “She’s sad.”

Daniel dropped a kiss onto his nephew’s shaggy blond hair before he put him down again, “Go back to your book while I go talk to her.”

Nicky looked up at Daniel, “Are you staying while Mommy goes on her trip?”

“Yep,” Daniel grinned at him, “It’s just going to be you and me for the weekend. You okay with that?”

Nicky nodded enthusiastically before he ran back to the couch and picked up his book again. Daniel smiled as he watched Nicky for a few seconds before he before he headed upstairs to dump his bag and talk to Sha’re.


He found her leaning against the wall flipping through a journal; Daniel took a deep breath before letting her know he was there. After the kiss at Christmas she’d made it very clear that they were nothing more than friends which after kissing her Daniel was finding hard.

“Thank you for this,” Sha’re said when she saw him, “Are you sure you can handle it?”

Daniel shrugged, “We’re about to find out. Are you okay?”

“Robert Markson was a good friend of my father,” Sha’re told him as she closed the diary and returned it to its place, “When I was first adopted he and his wife helped my parents out so much.”

“You were adopted?” Daniel said astonished.

Sha’re nodded, “I don’t talk about it because I was Nicky’s age and I barely remember my real family.”

“Sorry,” Daniel knew the pain of losing family.

“It’s alright,” Sha’re smiled softly, “My parents loved me and I know that.”

She wiped away the tears that were filling her eyes, “I’ve left all the numbers you need on the fridge, including Debbie’s home and cell number.”

Daniel chuckled, he’d never been in Sha’re’s room before and the books lining the shelf on the wall caught his eye. The name on the books made him frown, Adam Dennison.

“Adam Dennison,” Daniel murmured as he made the connection, “Your father was Adam Dennison?”

Sha’re nodded, “Did you know him?”

“No,” Daniel replied still awestruck, “But I referenced his work in just about every essay I ever wrote when I was studying.”

“He was a brilliant man,” Sha’re whispered as she thought back, “He would have loved to be a grandfather.”

Daniel rested his hand on her shoulder, “When’s your flight?”

“I have to leave in about an hour,” she smiled gratefully at him for changing the subject, “Nicky is excited that you’re staying with him while I’m away. But no wild parties.”

“Damn,” Daniel sighed theatrically, “I’d better call the others, they’ll need to know it’s cancelled.”

“Thank you,” Sha’re whispered to him before she turned to finish her packing.


Nicky hugged his mother looking as though he wasn’t going to let her go, Sha’re gently detangled herself from his arms.

“Now you have to be good for your Uncle Daniel,” Sha’re reminded her son, “And I will call you as soon as I get to my hotel.”

“Okay,” Nicky told her.

Sha’re gently kissed him before turning to Daniel, “Are you sure about this because Debbie will take him in a minute.”

“We will be perfectly fine,” Daniel assured her, as the taxi sounded the horn Daniel smiled, “Go, your cab’s waiting.”

Sha’re took a deep breath, grabbed her bag before giving her son one more quick kiss and left them alone. Daniel looked down at his nephew whose lip was trembling slightly.

“Come here, buddy,” Daniel lifted the boy into his arms, “Your Mom will be back in a few days, Nicky. And we’ll have lots of fun, right?”

Nicky turned to Daniel disbelief covering his face.

“Come on,” Daniel laughed at the look on his nephew’s face, “Let’s have some lunch.”


Sha’re sat in the bar of her hotel waiting for the phone to be answered. The funeral was tomorrow morning and she was meeting some of her father’s old colleagues for dinner but first she wanted to check up on her son and his uncle.

It wasn’t that she didn’t think Daniel could look after Nicky; it was more the fact that Daniel had never had to be on alert for more than a few hours.

“Hello,” Daniel answered the phone.

“Daniel, it’s me,” Sha’re smiled at the sound of his voice, “Is my house still there?”

Daniel let out a laugh which completely destroyed his attempt to sound offended, “For the moment. How’re things?”

“As good as they can be,” she sighed sadly, “It is a funeral, Daniel. They’re never pleasant. Is Nicky there?”

“I’ll tell him to get out of the drinks cabinet,” Daniel chuckled, “Though I was thinking that we could go bungee jumping later.”

“Daniel Jackson, stop it,” Sha’re scolded trying not to laugh, not noticing the old man sitting nearby who suddenly became very interested in her conversation.

Sha’re didn’t see as he murmured instructions to the man at his side, she was too busy talking to her son who was telling her how much he was enjoying being looked after by his Uncle Daniel.

“I will call you tomorrow night,” Sha’re told Daniel when he came back on the phone, “Make sure Nicky goes to bed at a reasonable time.”

“I will,” Daniel promised, “Talk to you tomorrow. Bye.”

“Bye,” Sha’re sighed, she put her phone away and sat back in the chair lost in thought.

*********************************************

Daniel cursed the Tok’ra for asking them to help out on another mission that was practically suicide a few days before Daniel was due to head for LA meaning instead of being here yesterday afternoon so he could take Nicky for dinner and give Sha’re some time alone, it was eight in the morning as Daniel’s taxi drew up in front of the house.

He hoped that he wasn’t going to be waking Sha’re, despite the fact she assured him that she would be awake anyway. Taking out the key he’d been given, Daniel opened the front door and stopped, something was wrong.

“Sha’re?” Daniel called as he moved slowly into the house, wishing he had a gun and wondering when that had become the norm, “Sha’re?”

“Uncle Daniel?” a small voice called before Nicky poked his head over the arm of the couch, “Uncle Daniel!!!” the pyjama clad boy scrambled off the couch and over to Daniel.

Daniel scooped up the boy finding Nicky crying the moment the child was in his arms.

“Mommy’s gone,” Nicky sobbed, “She left me. Was I bad?”

“Sh,” Daniel soothed, rubbing Nicky’s back as he rocked the boy slightly, “No, Nicky you’re not bad. I need you tell me what happened.”

“I woke up,” Nicky hiccupped slightly, “And went to wake Mommy. She wasn’t there,” he started to cry again and Daniel hushed him once more.

“It’s okay, Nicky,” Daniel whispered, “I’m here and we’ll find your Mommy.”

“Uncle Daniel,” Nicky pulled back, sniffing back tears that were falling from his red-rimmed eyes, “I’m hungry.”


Daniel held Nicky, still wearing pyjamas and clutching his teddy bear as the police swarmed over the house.

“Mr Jackson,” the lead detective, Emerson, said, “I’d like to ask you a few questions.”

“Dr Jackson,” Daniel corrected, shifting Nicky who was trying to burrow into his shoulder, “Hey, kiddo,” he murmured to the boy, “It’s okay; the detective is going to try and find your Mommy so I need to talk to him.”

Feeling Nicky nod against his shoulder and loosen his grip slightly, Daniel turned back to the police man, “Sorry, he’s a little shaken.”

Emerson nodded, “How long have you known Miss Dennison, Dr Jackson?”

“Just under a year,” Daniel replied.

“And you have a key?”

Daniel heard the unasked question and frowned, “I’m Nicky’s uncle. Sha’re contacted me to tell me about him and I’ve been visiting whenever I can to get to know him.”

“Where do you live?” Emerson scribbled notes as they spoke.

“Colorado Springs,” Daniel told him, “I got off a plane less than two hours ago.”

Emerson nodded, “When did you last speak with Miss Dennison?”

“Yesterday,” Daniel could feel Nicky getting restless and tried to move him again, thankful when he saw a familiar face walk into the house, “Mike?”

Mike walked over to Daniel and Emerson, concern on his face.

“You two are acquainted, Officer?” Emerson asked Mike.

Mike nodded, “Debbie is friends with Sha’re. We met Daniel not long after he first came to LA.”

“Can you take Nicky for a few minutes?” Daniel asked the other man, “So I can talk to the detective?”

Mike nodded and reached to take the little boy but wasn’t able to as Nicky clung to Daniel, his arms and legs wrapping around his uncle.

“Nicky,” Daniel murmured, gently stroking the child’s back, “I need to talk to the detective, Mike is just going to sit with you on the couch where you will be able to see me the whole time. Okay?”

After a few seconds Nicky’s death grip loosened and he turned. Mike took him, Nicky’s blue eyes stayed on Daniel as Mike sat them on the couch.

“Sorry,” Daniel apologised to the detective, “I called Sha’re yesterday morning when I realised I wouldn’t be able to make my flight.”

“Why do you have a key to the house?”

“I’ve been visiting my nephew for almost a year,” Daniel explained, “I don’t live in LA so when I visited I used to stay at a hotel. After a while Sha’re offered me the guest room when I came so I didn’t have to spend money on the hotel and gave me a key so that if I took Nicky out while she was out herself then we wouldn’t be stuck waiting for her.”

Emerson nodded; he gently tapped his pencil on the notebook for a second, “What is your relationship to Miss Dennison?”

“We’re friends,” Daniel told the other man.

“Just friends?”

“Yes.”

“You stay here when you’re in town and you’re obviously very close to the little boy,” Emerson pushed.

“Nicky’s my nephew,” Daniel stated firmly, “I am extremely grateful that Sha’re tracked me down to tell me about him and that she agrees to my visiting so often. We’re friends.”

Emerson pursed his lips before nodding, “That’s all I need for now, Dr Jackson. Will you be staying here?”

Daniel glanced over to where Nicky was clutching his teddy bear before turning back to the man in front of him, “No. I’m going to take Nicky with me to Colorado. You can reach me here,” Daniel scribbled his home, cell and work number on the pad.

Emerson nodded, “Thank you, Dr Jackson; I’ll call if we need anything else or if we find something.”

Daniel headed back to Nicky and let the boy climb back into his arms, he sat beside Mike and sighed grateful that the other man didn’t say or do anything other than place a comforting hand on his shoulder.


“How’s Nicky?” Jack asked the moment Daniel finished explaining what had happened.

“Shaken,” Daniel replied as he looked down on the child, “Thankfully he’s sleeping just now. I’m going to bring him back to Colorado just now until Sha’re’s found,” he refused to even think never mind say the word ‘if’, “Can you make sure I’ve got food for him in and em...I don’t know.”

“I’ll get everything sorted,” Jack promised.

“Good,” Daniel sighed, “I’ll call soon and tell you when I’ll be home.”

“Danny, we’ll be here for whatever you two need,” Jack told him, “Just call and I’ll pick you up from the airport.”

“Thanks, Jack,” Daniel sighed, he hung up on his friend.

Daniel quickly checked Nicky was still sleeping; he was exhausted from the stressful morning and had fallen asleep just after Daniel had given him some lunch. Now he had to pack some clothes and toys for the little boy before getting seats on a flight back to Colorado. Daniel entered Sha’re’s room to see if there was a picture of the two of them Daniel could put in Nicky’s room until they found her again. Seeing a book sitting open on the bed, Daniel’s curiosity got the better of him and he picked it up. Sha’re had been reading her father’s journals and as he browsed a few pages shock filled him. On the page in front of him was a Stargate address, the Stargate address for Earth but it was the symbol of origin that made him stare in amazement – Abydos.


Daniel smiled in relief as he saw Jack standing waiting for them. Nicky was walking at his side, clutching Daniel’s jacket as he held his bear tightly to his chest.

“Hi,” Jack said softly, he crouched down to look at Nicky, “Hey, Nicky it’s good to see you again.”

Nicky pressed closer to Daniel without saying anything, Jack took one of Daniel’s bags so he could pick the boy up. Nicky turned and wrapped his arms around his uncle’s neck, clinging onto him.

“He’s a little upset,” Daniel told his friend, “Car nearby?”

Jack nodded and motioned his friend to follow him. They walked silently to Jack’s car, Daniel gently setting his nephew in the booster seat hearing only a whimper of protest as Nicky let go of him.

Daniel climbed into the front seat and closed his eyes as Jack started driving them home.


“You’re kidding me?” Jack cried, wincing as he saw Nicky jump slightly.

Daniel rolled his eyes at his friend, waiting until the boy returned to watching his movie – Finding Nemo, that Daniel had specifically brought with him, before returning to the conversation.

“It was the Stargate address for Earth from Abydos,” Daniel told him, “I didn’t read much else as Nicky woke up but I’ve brought them with me.” He looked over to where Nicky was curled up with his teddy bear, “I’m worried, Jack. What if this was all a set up? What if Nicky isn’t my nephew and....”

“Danny,” Jack soothed, “That kid is definitely related to you, you only have to look at him to see the resemblance, no matter what else is happening just hold onto that.”

Daniel nodded, “Thanks, Jack. We just need to find her.”

Jack debated whether or not to say to his friend about his feelings for the woman but decided against it. Daniel was either denying or smothering those at the moment. Jack watched as Daniel headed over to his nephew and let the boy crawl into his lap to watch the film.

*********************************************

Sha’re glared as she was marched into a room where an old man sat, he looked up at her and smiled coldly.

“Look at you,” he said, “All grown up.”

“Who are you?” Sha’re demanded angrily, “Why have you abducted me and where is my son?”

“Son?” the old man frowned confused; he glanced at the men who had brought her in, “Did you find a boy?”

The leader shrugged, “You didn’t say anything about a kid, our orders were for her only.”

“He’s four,” Sha’re cried horrified. The young woman closed her eyes hoping Daniel had made it to her house and found Nicky before anything happened to him, “If he is hurt...”

“You have no power here,” the old man cut her off, “You never did, Sha’re. In fact the only reason you didn’t end up dead is because I was feeling generous.”

Sha’re stared at him recognition finally dawning, “I know you. You were at Dr Markson’s funeral.”

“Is that the only place you know me from?” he asked darkly, “Think child.”

Sha’re shook her head, “I don’t...”

She was cut off as he slammed his hand against the arms of his chair, “I know you remember. I know you’re working for them. They want to know everything I discovered about it.”

“About what?” Sha’re snapped, she pushed her hand through her hair in aggravation, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

The old man moved with speed that shocked her and he grabbed her arm, “I’m not stupid, child. I heard you talking to him, he opened it for them and you’re helping them come after me.”

“Please,” Sha’re whispered, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Please let me go home to my son.”

The man shoved her away, “I know he made sure you never forget your home, your language. Your father was a smart man.”

Realisation flooded Sha’re and she gasped, “Chappa-aii, you’re talking about the Chappa-aii. You were here when I came through.”

“Do you remember me now, Miss Dennison?” he asked.

Sha’re nodded, “Derek Tomlinson. My father said you wanted nothing to do with us after that.”

Tomlinson grimaced, “I didn’t and then at the funeral I heard you talking to him.”

“Who?” she cried frustrated.

“Jackson,” Tomlinson growled, “The insolent bastard who cracked the damn code to open it. He called it the Stargate you know.”

Sha’re froze, “Daniel? You’re talking about Daniel?”

“Who else,” Tomlinson snapped, “I know you’re in contact with him. What did you tell them? When will they try to come after me?”

Sha’re shook her head, “Daniel is my son’s uncle, that’s the only reason I know him. He told me he’s a consultant working for the military, that he translates things for them. He’s never said anything about the Chappa-aii.”

Tomlinson frowned before motioning to one of the guards nearby who took Sha’re’s arm and moved her out of the room.

*********************************************

“I’m trying to ensure she doesn’t forget her heritage,” Daniel read from the journal to those sitting around the table, “But she’s just four years old and it’s very likely she’ll only have vague memories of her home. I’m teaching her English as she teaches me her language; it’s similar to Arabic in some ways but in others completely different. She doesn’t understand writing and drawing, in fact she’s actually afraid of them but finally I managed to get her to show me what she touched to let her come here.”

Daniel stopped reading and closed the journal before looking up at the people sitting around the table, “They’re the symbols for Earth from Abydos.”

“Hold on,” Jack said to his friend, “You’re telling me that Sha’re, the woman who is the adoptive mother of your nephew, the woman you’re crazy about is actually from your adopted home planet?”

“Didn’t I just say that?” Daniel demanded.

“Gentlemen,” Hammond interrupted the argument before it began properly, “Our first concern here is where Miss Dennison is. Dr Jackson, does the journal yield any clues to who could have taken her?”

Daniel shook his head, “Sir, we don’t even know if this has anything to do with what’s happened to her. It could be the Trust, NID, any other organisation on this planet trying to get to us through her.”

“I know,” Hammond agreed softly, “However this is the only lead we have just now, Dr Jackson.”

Daniel nodded; he glanced over to Hammond’s office where Nicky was sitting drawing while Walter watched over him before turning back to the General, “There’s nothing specific in the journal. Sha’re’s father only mentions ‘him’ but I have no idea who he is.”

“Is it possible that following the path of Dr Dennison’s career may lead to some information,” Teal’c suggested.

“I’m pretty sure I can do that,” Sam mused, “It might give us a place to start.”

“Do it,” Hammond ordered, he turned to Daniel again, “Dr Jackson, the only thing I want you to do is look after that boy.”

“Sir,” Daniel started only to be cut off.

“He’s your top priority, Daniel,” Hammond reminded him, “I will keep you updated on everything.”


“Uncle Daniel,” Nicky smiled as Daniel walked into the office, “I drew you a picture.”

Daniel pushed a smile onto his face, “That’s great,” he started, grimacing as he saw the picture was of Daniel and Nicky but off to one side was Sha’re who seemed to be an angel.

“Nicky,” Daniel took his nephew’s hand, “It’s time to go ho...back to my house. Say goodbye to Walter.”

“Bye,” Nicky waved as Daniel lifted him into his arms and started out of the room.

As they walked through the corridors of the SGC Nicky turned to him, “Am I going to live with you now?”

“Only until we find your Mommy,” Daniel told him.

“I miss her,” Nicky sighed resting his head on Daniel’s shoulder, “Do you think she misses me?”

“Of course she does,” Daniel soothed the boy, “I miss her too. Come on, we’ll get some take-out food and we can watch the new film Walter gave me.”

Nicky nodded and Daniel continued on worrying about the boy’s mother.


Daniel fed Nicky dinner wondering how much longer he would be doing this. As much as he loved Nicky Daniel didn’t want to try to be full time parent.

“Uncle Daniel?”

“Yeah?” Daniel looked down to his nephew.

“Will I live here if you can’t find Mommy?”

The stark question froze Daniel; he’d not considered anything because he was determined not to until it was necessary. He knew that he wouldn’t let anyone take Nicky away from him, if they didn’t find Sha’re.

Daniel crouched down so he was looking into his nephew’s eyes, “We’re going to find your Mommy. Okay?”

Nicky nodded before he wandered away leaving Daniel trying desperately to keep himself focused on making dinner. He was terrified something had happened to Sha’re, terrified that he’d never see her again and terrified he was going to have to tell that sweet little boy that Daniel had lied.


“Anything?” Jack asked Sam.

She shook her head annoyed, “Nothing yet. Sha’re’s father was extremely well known in the archaeological community. I’m about to look into the adoption records for Sha’re to see if there is anything there.”

“Good,” Jack mused, he leaned against the wall, “You’ve got to find something, I don’t think Daniel has any idea what he’ll do if something happens to her.”

Sam nodded in agreement, “I don’t think he’ll be able to raise Nicky and stay in the SGC.”

“Carter, he’s in love with her,” Jack reminded his friend.

Sam didn’t reply as she started tapping at her computer a little more urgently.

“Carter?”

“I think I have something,” Sam told him, motioning him over, “Look at this. There’s no mention of Sha’re in the system before she was adopted and Dennison disappeared for a week before he suddenly appeared with his new adopted daughter.”

“Interesting,” Jack mused, “Any idea where he went?”

“Give me a few minutes,” Sam told him, “I have money deposited into Dennison’s account for several years. I’m tracing the funds,” she paused for several moments before turning to Jack, “I think I might know where she is.”

*********************************************

“Do you want me to tell you what your friend does?” Tomlinson asked Sha’re as she was sat at the table across from him.

“I want you to return me to my son,” Sha’re snapped at him.

Tomlinson shook his head, “I sent someone to check on him. The police were there so he’s fine.”

“But you don’t know that,” Sha’re challenged, tears filling her eyes, “Please, please let me go home to him.”

“Dr Daniel Jackson, archaeologist, anthropologist and linguist,” Tomlinson ignored her pleas, “Ruined his career and disappeared from the academic community. What he was really doing was opening my prize and letting the military out into the universe. He’s not the mild-mannered scientist he pretends to be you know, do you know how many people he’s killed?”

“Stop it,” Sha’re whispered.

Tomlinson coughed, deep racking and painful as he stared at Sha’re, “The moment Jackson finds out you weren’t born on this planet then he’ll hand you over to them.”

Sha’re pushed her chair back and stood up, “Not everyone is you. I may not know Daniel as well as I think but I know that he loves my son and will do everything to protect him and I am not going to listen to anymore of your idiotic, self-indulgent nonsense.”


“Are you sure?” Daniel demanded staring at Sam intently, Teal’c had volunteered to watch Nicky and they were holed up in Teal’c’s room watching films.

“Completely,” she told him, “Derek Tomlinson, he’s a collector of rare antiques. Several years ago he somehow got a hold of the Stargate for a few weeks in the hopes he could activate it.”

“From what we’ve pieced together,” Janet took over, “He hired Dr Dennison to try to do just this. A week after this he arrived home with a daughter.”

“Sha’re really is from Abydos,” Daniel mused, “Kasuf once mentioned a daughter he’d lost when she was just a child. Disappeared one day with no trace. I wonder...”

“Do we have a location?” Jack cut in.

“I think so,” Sam let out a deep breath, “I’m almost sure I have it.”

Sam, Jack and Daniel all turned to Hammond who nodded, “Go.”

*********************************************

Sha’re paced the small cell the psychopath had demanded she be placed in. She wrapped her arms around her stomach in the vain hope that she wouldn’t feel sick from worry any more. Sha’re desperately prayed that Daniel had arrived at the house before anything could possibly happen to Nicky; her imagination was working overtime ever since Tomlinson had told her the police had been at her house.

Sha’re spun as she heard gunfire nearby, “Oh God,” she breathed terrified that she was never going to see her son again.

The door burst open and a man dressed all in black ran in, Sha’re pulled back seeing the gun he was carrying. As he turned she gasped.

“Daniel?”

He let out a sigh of relief and wrapped an arm around her in a quick embrace, “Come on.”

“Daniel...”

“I’ll explain later,” he cut her off, “Right now we have to get out of here.”

As more gunfire sounded Sha’re nodded and as he held her hand they ran through the corridors. Daniel rounded a corner and caught her around her waist pulling her to him.

“I’ve got her,” he said over a radio.

Before Sha’re could ask a bright white light surrounded them.


Daniel breathed a sigh of relief as they were transported into the infirmary of the SGC, Sha’re was holding onto him completely confused. She broke away from him suddenly looking around in bewilderment.

“Where are we?” she asked before shaking her head, “Never mind that, where’s Nicky? Is he okay?”

“Hey,” Daniel rested his hands on her shoulders, “He’s fine, I promise. He’s with Teal’c, I think they’re watching Star Wars.”

Sha’re covered her eyes with her hands and let out a shuddering breath, “I was so worried.”

Daniel stepped forward and slid his arms around her pulling her to him, Sha’re wrapped her arms around his waist burying her face against his chest as he rocked her gently. They stood like that for several minutes until Daniel realised Janet was waiting for Sha’re and he gently detangled himself.

“Our doctor wants to make sure you’re okay,” Daniel told her, “Then you can go see Nicky.”

“Are you keeping him from me?” Sha’re snapped angrily.

“Look at me;” Daniel told her touching her chin so that her eyes locked with his, “They just want to make sure you’ve not been hurt or anything. I don’t want you to faint or something in front of your son and scare him.”

Sha’re sighed, “That’s not fair.”

Daniel rested his hand on her cheek and gently stroked it with his thumb, “I know. Can you trust me?”

Sha’re sighed tiredly, “I don’t really know you, Daniel. Do I?”

“Of course you do,” Daniel frowned at her, “I just didn’t tell you everything about my job.”

Janet walked in at that moment interrupting them, “Daniel, go so I can start work,” as he opened his mouth to protest she cut him off with a quick movement of her hand, “When do you think I asked if you wanted to leave?”

With a sigh Daniel quickly squeezed Sha’re’s hand and left the infirmary. Janet smiled amused before turning to her patient.

“It’s good to see you again,” Janet said, “It’s just a shame it’s like this. Okay, I’m just going to do some blood tests and make sure you’ve not been hurt but I need you to tell me if anything happened to you.”

Sha’re shook her head as tears filled her eyes, “They only took me from my son.”

“Hey,” Janet soothed, “Nicky is fine. Daniel has taken wonderful care of him. He’s been watching movies with Teal’c all day today and been spoiled by us.”

Sha’re smiled slightly, “I just want to see him.”

“You will,” Janet assured her, “Once I’ve finished.”


Daniel smiled as he entered Teal’c’s room to find the large man sitting with Nicky on his knee agreeing that Yoda talked funny.

“Hey,” Daniel let them know he was there, “Nicky, are you behaving?”

Nicky nodded, “I am. Aren’t I, T?”

At the use of the nickname Jack used for the Jaffa Daniel laughed, he motioned Nicky to him and picked the boy up when he hugged him. Daniel gently kissed the top of the boy’s head.

“You will have to watch the rest of the movie later,” Daniel told his nephew, “Your Mom wants to see you.”

“Mommy?” Nicky cried happily, “She came back.”

Daniel sighed, “Your Mom didn’t leave you, she would never leave you. A man who was very mixed up took her because he thought she could help him but he will never take her away again. I promise.”

Nicky laid his head on Daniel’s shoulder, “Can I see Mommy now?”

“Of course you can,” Daniel whispered, he nodded his thanks to Teal’c and started towards the briefing room with his nephew in his arms.

Jack and Hammond looked up as Daniel entered the room, they gave Nicky a smile and wave as Daniel took a seat to wait for Janet to bring Sha’re here. Nicky sat on Daniel’s lap watching the other men shyly as he huddled back against his uncle.

“Mommy,” he cried suddenly as Sha’re walked in with Janet.


Sha’re sat impatiently through all of Janet’s tests relieved when the doctor announced that they were done. She walked through the corridors of wherever she was aware of the military people all around her. She was so confused by everything that had happened especially at the things she’d been told about Daniel, she cared a great deal for him but what she’d discovered worried her.

“Mommy,” Nicky cried as she entered the room.

Sha’re smiled in relief to see him opening her arms as Daniel let him slide out of his lap and he ran to her.

“Oh, baby,” Sha’re whispered as she held her son close to her.

After several minutes she remembered where she was and looked up to find Daniel smiling down at her while the others were acting completely oblivious. Slightly embarrassed Sha’re took the seat beside Daniel pulling Nicky onto her lap and looking at the others sitting there.

“Sorry,” she apologised.

“There’s no need,” Hammond told her, “I completely understand. However, I believe this may be a discussion best had without your son here.”

Sha’re nodded but before she could say anything Daniel had Nicky’s attention.

“Do you want to go see the end of the movie with Teal’c?” Daniel asked the boy.

Nicky turned to look at his mother, not too sure about leaving her lap in case she left him again.

“I will come and get you as soon as I have finished talking with General Hammond,” Sha’re assured her little boy, “And then...”

“Then you’ll come and stay at my house again,” Daniel finished for her.

“Kay,” Nicky shrugged, he wriggled off Sha’re’s knee and ran over to Teal’c who was standing waiting for the boy. The boy stopped halfway there and turned back to Sha’re, he ran back to her and hugged her legs, “Love you, Mommy,” he cried before he scampered away again.


“Miss Dennison,” Hammond said bringing everyone’s attention to him, “I understand that this has been a trying few days for you and I know you want to be with your son but we need to straighten a few things out first.”

Sha’re nodded softly, “Of course.”

Hammond nodded to Daniel who took a deep breath, “You’re from Abydos, right?”

Sha’re hesitated for a moment before she nodded, “I sometimes think of my father and brother but I’ve known since I was a child I would never go home.”

“How’d you get here?” Daniel asked softly.

Sha’re shrugged, “I was playing in the room with the Chappa-aii while my father prepared the tribute for Ra, the God my people worshipped. I remember pushing buttons on the pedestal; I’d seen them in a cave my mother would take me to. When it became a big blue shimmering puddle I was fascinated so I moved closer and when I touched it I felt like it pulled me forward.”

She paused looking up at Daniel with a grateful smile as he handed her a glass of water, “Dad...Dr Dennison was a good man who took in a frightened four year old child who could not speak the language,” Sha’re told them, “He helped me remember as much of my heritage as possible, even my native language and raised me as his daughter.”

“Did you have any contact with Mr Tomlinson?” Hammond asked.

Sha’re shook her head, “He told my father that once he’d sorted the adoption then we’d never hear from him again.”

Hammond nodded, “Thank you, Miss Dennison. Please excuse us for a few moments and then Dr Jackson will take you and your son home.”


Sha’re sat at the conference room table alone watching as Daniel spoke with the commander of the base. She just wanted to go home, just go back to her normal life but she wasn’t sure if that was possible. Standing she walked to the large window and looked down upon the thing that had brought her to this world. Sha’re hugged herself as she wondered what had become of her family.

Finally Daniel appeared, “Are you ready?”

Sha’re nodded, “Yes. Thank you for...”

Daniel took her arm as she trailed off, “Come on, let’s go get Nicky and we can call for food. Then you can get some rest, you look tired.”

Relieved at having him nearby Sha’re allowed him to lead her out of the room to get her son.

*********************************************

Sha’re stood watching her son as he slept in Daniel’s spare room. She was so tired but she didn’t want to stop watching her son.

“Hey,” Daniel breathed coming to her side, he smiled as he looked down on Nicky, “Do you want some tea?”

Sha’re let out a long sigh, “That would be nice.”

Daniel rested his hand on her arm moving her away from the doorway, “Come on.”

Sha’re let him move her to the lounge and she sat on the couch. Daniel disappeared for a few moments returning with two mugs, he handed her the tea and took the seat beside her.

“You need to get some sleep,” he told her, concern in his eyes and voice.

“I will,” Sha’re promised, “It’s just not easy after today.”

Daniel dropped his head, “I’m sorry I had to give you the news about Abydos. I wish I...”

“It’s not your fault, Daniel,” Sha’re whispered, “And to be honest I don’t know if I would have been able to talk to them if I could see them again. I was four when I left.”

They sat in silence as they drank, neither could think of anything to talk about that didn’t involve the events of the day so they didn’t talk. Daniel kept watching her; worried that she wasn’t as fine as she declared she was. Once she finished her tea Sha’re placed the mug on the table and stood.

“I should get some rest,” Sha’re said, she hesitated, “Where am I sleeping?”

Daniel stood and motioned her, “Come on, you’re sleeping in my room. I’ll take the couch.”


Sha’re sat on the bed watching as Daniel retrieved a pillow and quilt for the couch, she was so tired but she didn’t want to sleep. She wasn’t sure what she would dream about and it scared her.

“What’s wrong?” Daniel sat at her side.

She sighed, “Will I be able to take Nicky home?”

“Of course,” Daniel frowned at her confused, “Why would you think you couldn’t?”

“Because of everything that happened,” she whispered, “Because I’m not from Earth and what I’ve learned today.”

“Look at me,” Daniel turned her to look at him, resting his hand on her cheek, “Nicky is your son. And no matter what has happened he will be with you, I promise.”

Sha’re stared at him, “What about you?”

“I’m always here,” Daniel breathed captured by her eyes, “I’ll always be here for you both.”

Very gently Daniel kissed her forehead letting his lips linger; he moved back and looked down into her brown eyes hoping she was comforted by him shocked when Sha’re kissed him. The kiss was passionate, like the one they’d shared at Christmas but this time Sha’re wrapped her arms around his neck climbing into his lap as Daniel pulled her close.

Sha’re broke away from him so she could pull his t-shirt off him and returned her lips to his as she ran her hands across his warm skin. She moaned as his lips left hers and slid along her neck, his nimble fingers undoing the buttons on her top. Daniel lifted Sha’re off his lap and laid her back on the bed resting his body on hers.

Daniel broke away and looked down on her, his blue eyes dark with passion as he gazed into her brown ones. He was breathing heavily as was she but he forced himself to hold back, giving her the option to stop what they were doing before it became more intimate. Before he could ask her if this was what she wanted Sha’re wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him back down to her finding his lips with hers once more as all rational thought disappeared.


Sha’re sighed as she opened her eyes, turning to her side she saw Daniel’s sleeping form. He looked so peaceful and Sha’re gently stroked his cheek smiling as he murmured her name in his slumber. She knew in the morning they’d have to talk about what had happened between them but until then she was going to enjoy the feeling of being wrapped in his arms. Although she knew it had been a stupid thing to do Sha’re had enjoyed being a lover for a while, enjoyed being touched in a way she hadn’t been for a long time. Daniel treated her as a woman and not just a mother. Her last relationship had ended a few months before Nicky was born, they’d been together for over three years and Sha’re had thought for a time that he was going to propose until she arrived at his apartment unexpectedly to find him in bed with another woman.

She looked at Daniel again, she was almost completely sure he’d never do anything like that to her. With a soft sigh Sha’re cuddled against him again and went back to sleep.


Daniel opened his eyes confused to find his vision filled with black curls. He’d been so sure the night had been a dream that finding Sha’re still in his arms sleeping peacefully was a shock. Slowly Daniel drew his hand along her leg, to her waist continuing to her breast before sliding his hand up to her face.

“I am trying to sleep,” Sha’re’s amused voice surprised him; “You do know that don’t you?”

“I guess I didn’t think you were real,” Daniel replied, smiling as she moved closer to him.

Sha’re let out a contented sigh as she snuggled against him, “What do you think now?”

“That we have a few things to talk about,” Daniel said, trying not to lose sight of what this could mean.

Sha’re glanced at the clock just over Daniel’s shoulder, “I know but it is barely 5 am. Perhaps we can just enjoy the rest of our night and talk about it later?”

Before he could answer Sha’re kissed him again, she gave him a mischievous look as she slid her lips down along his chest before disappearing under the quilt. Daniel suddenly realised he had no chance whatsoever.


A few hours later they lay kissing, holding one another and not thinking about the consequences for the moment until they heard Nicky letting everyone know he was up. Sha’re kissed Daniel once more before she left him in bed and slid on the robe she found hanging on the back of the door turning she gave Daniel a coy smile before she went to make her son some breakfast. Daniel lay back on the pillows exhausted, ecstatic and confused. He’d wanted to be with Sha’re since the moment he’d met her but now he wasn’t sure if what had happened had been a good thing. They had to think of Nicky; Daniel didn’t want anything to stop him seeing his nephew and if things between them didn’t work out...

Daniel finally got out of bed and pulled on some clothes before he went to see what Sha’re was making her son for breakfast. He stood in the doorway watching as Sha’re fixed Nicky toast and juice, she was wearing only his robe and looked absolutely incredible in it. Daniel let out a long slow breath to calm down as Sha’re turned and gave him a quick smile.

“Do you want some toast, Daniel?” Sha’re asked as she set Nicky’s breakfast in front of him.

“Thanks,” he replied before he leaned over Nicky, “Morning, kiddo.”

“Good morning, Uncle Daniel,” Nicky beamed up at him.

“Nicky, eat your breakfast like a good boy while I speak with your uncle Daniel,” Sha’re told her son before she took Daniel’s hand and pulled him into his room again.


Sha’re looked at Daniel as they stood in his bedroom once more, she could see the confusion in his eyes which she knew she felt. They had to know the others feelings before they could move on from what had happened between them.

“We need to talk,” Daniel said first.

Sha’re smiled slightly, “I know. But before we do let me say thank you for everything you did over the past few days. Caring for Nicky, rounding up people to find me, being there when I needed someone.”

“Is that all last night was?” Daniel asked sadly looking away from her, “You needing comfort.”

“I don’t know,” Sha’re whispered managing to catch his eyes, “Was it?”

“What do you want me to say?” Daniel demanded, pushing his hand through his hair, “That I’m crazy about you? That I come to LA so often not just to see Nicky but because I get to spend time with you too?”

“Do you?”

“Of course I do,” Daniel cried, “I thought you knew that after...” he trailed off and looked at her, “I come to see both of you. And as much as I love Nicky, the end of the day when we sit and have coffee then talk for a while is something I look forward to every time I come to LA.”

Sha’re hugged him, “I look forward to seeing you too.”

“So what do we do now?” Daniel asked as she let him go.

“I don’t know,” Sha’re replied, “Long distance relationships can be hard, Daniel.”

Daniel wrapped his arms around her pulling her close, “I know but I’d like to try.”

Sha’re looked up at him,” So would I.”

Daniel leaned down and brushed his lips to hers, “Then we’ll try it.”