Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

A Ready Made Family

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
This is an AU based on the cover story I used in my story Precious Gift but it’s not necessary to have read it.
I had to split this in two as it was too big.
Enjoy
Daniel picked up his mail as he entered his house and dropped his rucksack on the couch; he was still having a hard time believing he owned a house. It had been a strange three months since they’d found him on a planet with no memory of who he was. Suddenly given a name and an identity that didn’t feel right before being thrust into an inter-galactic war he’d apparently helped start with very little memory. Now here he was – he owned a house because Jack insisted on it, in fact his words were since he was going to be a permanent part of their lives again he needed permanency.

He was still remembering parts of his life; his most recent experiences were forefront in his mind while his youth was still fuzzy but Daniel felt more like himself than he had in ages. Sorting through his mail he was surprised to find a handwritten envelope in amongst it, taking a seat on his couch Daniel carefully opened it and slid out the folded piece of paper.


Dear Doctor Jackson, it read

I know this letter shall contain several shocks for you and for that I apologise, however I made a promise to a friend that I would find you.

My name is Sha’re Dennison and I am the adoptive mother of your nephew.


“My what?” Daniel asked aloud.

Nicky is four years old and the only child of your older brother David.

“Okay, I may not remember much but I know I don’t have a brother,” Daniel muttered before continuing to read.

I know you are probably saying to yourself that you do not have a brother but you did. Unfortunately he died approximately four years ago in a car accident along with his wife the same day Nicky was born. I only know what he told me and that is how he was given up for adoption when he was a baby. There is more but I do not wish to explain in a letter to you.

The reason I am contacting you, as well as my promise to David is so you can meet your nephew. If you are not interested then I will understand but if you wish to meet him then my number is at the bottom.

I hope you will contact us.

Sha’re Dennison.


Daniel read the letter several more times before he blindly reached out and grabbed the phone, dialling it from memory, “Jack,” he said the instant it was answered, “I’ve something I need you to see.”


Jack read the letter before rereading it. He looked up at his friend who was sitting waiting with an expression of bemusement.

“Well?” Daniel asked.

“I don’t know,” Jack replied, handing him back the letter, “There’s nothing in your background check about a brother.”

“What do you think?”

Jack shrugged, “Go meet your nephew and let me check this out.”

Daniel took a deep breath, “I don’t know.”

“Daniel,” Jack sighed, “Ever since I’ve known you the one thing you’ve wanted was a family and here it is. You have a nephew, Danny. Get to know the kid, I promise you won’t regret it.”

Daniel chewed on his thumbnail for several moments; he grabbed the phone before looking at the letter again and dialling the number.

*********************************************

Sha’re held her son’s hand as they walked up the path to Debbie’s house. She was meeting David’s brother today and didn’t want Nicky to be there. Debbie appeared at the door and smiled hello to them, fondly ruffling Nicky’s hair as he ran over to his two friends, Debbie and Mike’s twin sons Robbie and Ray.

“So, todays the big day,” Debbie noted with a grin, “Are you looking forward to the meeting?”

Sha’re sighed, “Not really. I know I promised David I would find his brother but I honestly never expected to.”

“You can call it off,” Debbie reminded her, “Just don’t show up.”

Sha’re shook her head, “He sounded nice and genuinely interested in meeting Nicky. I can’t miss this meeting, it wouldn’t be fair. Besides I am curious about what he’ll be like.”

Debbie gently squeezed her friend’s hand, “Well have dinner with us after and you can tell me all about it.”

“Thanks,” Sha’re smiled before she turned and headed to her car.


Daniel stood outside the small cafe wondering why he wasn’t going in. Jack had done a background check on the woman who had written to him and found nothing out of the ordinary so two weeks after receiving the letter Daniel was in LA to meet his nephew.
Finally walking in Daniel glanced around and smiled as a woman, an extremely beautiful woman waved him over to a table in the corner.

“Dr Jackson,” she smiled at him, “I would recognise you anywhere. You’re your brother’s double.”

“I’ll have to take your word for that, Miss Dennison,” Daniel replied, “And it’s Daniel.”

“Sha’re,” she told him, motioning him to take a seat, “I’m glad you decided to come. David spent many years trying to find you.”

Daniel sat down across from her and glanced around, “Did you bring Nicky?”

“No,” Sha’re replied, seeing Daniel’s disappointment, “He knows I have been trying to find his uncle and I didn’t want him to get his hopes up then be let down if you decided never to return.”

“Good plan,” Daniel told her, he sighed and grabbed the menu, “So, what’s good here?”


Daniel nodded as the waitress brought them their lunch; he sipped his coffee watching Sha’re as she drank her tea.

“So, what can you tell me about my brother?” he asked.

Sha’re smiled slightly as she thought back, “He was fun, annoying but I never doubted his friendship.”

“How did you meet?”

“About ten years ago I moved into the apartment next door to him,” Sha’re explained, she sipped her tea again, “We became friends quickly. He was an accountant and he had an incredible head for numbers, David worked for one of the larger movie studios, which is where he met Therese.”

“Nicky’s mother?” Daniel asked, caught up both by her story and her voice.

“Yes,” Sha’re smiled, “Therese was the personal assistant to the studio head. She was beautiful with long blonde hair, a stunning figure but she was also incredibly intelligent. Her boss used to have her sit in on meetings all the time to pick up anything he missed because they didn’t believe she was as smart as she was. We used to gang up on David,” Sha’re smiled wistfully, “I was so happy when they married.”

Daniel tilted his head, “What happened?”

“Therese was in labour,” Sha’re explained, “They called me so I would be at the hospital and I was waiting when their car was hit by a drunk driver. David was killed instantly and Therese delivered Nicky in the ambulance before dying an hour later.”

“I’m sorry,” was all Daniel could think of to say.

“Neither David nor Therese had any family,” Sha’re explained, “Other than you. David had been trying to find you since I’d known him with no luck. Anyway, their will asked that I take in Nicky which meant adopting him became easier. I’m the only mother he has ever known and as much as I want you to be a part of his life, I will not let you breeze in before disappearing and breaking that child’s heart.”

“Sha’re,” Daniel licked his lips nervously, “I have no family and finding out I have a nephew is something I treasure. Trust me I intend to be a part of his life.”

Sha’re smiled at him, “Then we can all go out for dinner tomorrow night?”


“Okay,” Debbie said as Sha’re entered the house, “How did it go? What’s he like?”

Sha’re rolled her eyes at her friend, “Where’s Nicky?” she ignored the other woman for the moment.

“Out the back playing with the kids,” Debbie told her, “Don’t worry, Mike’s watching the three of them. Now what happened?”

“He appears to be very nice,” Sha’re told her friend, taking a seat.

“And?”
“He wants to be a part of Nicky’s life, which I want but,” Sha’re sighed, “I don’t know.”

“Is he anything like Nicky’s father?” Debbie handed Sha’re a glass of iced tea, she hadn’t known Nicky’s real parents and met Sha’re when their children were a few months old.

“They look very alike,” Sha’re laughed, “But from what I can tell their personalities’ are completely different.”

Debbie curled up in the seat across from her friend, “Really?”

“David was so much of an extrovert,” Sha’re laughed, “He used to smile so much that everyone around him smiled as well, Daniel appears to be quite reserved and much more intense.”

“Mommy!!!” the call interrupted their talk as Sha’re’s son came bursting into the room. He ran over and jumped onto the couch beside her for a hug.

Sha’re happily obliged, kissing her son’s shaggy blond hair before hugging him tightly.

“Did you meet him?” Nicky asked, he was aware that Sha’re met his uncle today but still hadn’t grasped the concept completely of why it was important.

“Yes, I did,” Sha’re hugged him to her, “And we’re going to have dinner with him tomorrow night. Okay?”

Nicky nodded, eating out was a very big treat. After a few minutes of being hugged Nicky squirmed out of his mother’s arms and ran back to his playmates. Sha’re watched him fondly before turning back to Debbie.

“If he tries to take my son from me,” Sha’re whispered vehemently, “I will fight him with every part of me.”

Debbie reached out and squeezed her friend’s hand, “I don’t doubt it.”

*********************************************

Daniel sat in the restaurant waiting for Sha’re to arrive with Nicky. He was extremely nervous about meeting his nephew; he’d never been good with kids unlike Jack and Teal’c and was almost dreading this meeting.

He saw Sha’re enter the restaurant and felt his heart leap slightly as he saw her smile down at the little boy standing with her, Sha’re saw him and smiled at Daniel as they walked over to the table.

“Hi,” Daniel stood up as they reached him before he turned to the child, “Hi.”

Nicky pressed against his mother’s leg shyly, “Hello.”

Daniel held out a seat for Sha’re after she deposited Nicky on the final one. She gave him another smile as he took his seat again.

“Are you really my uncle?” Nick asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence that had fallen over the table.

“That’s what I’m told,” Daniel replied, looking down at the boy amazed at how much of himself he saw there.

Nicky shrugged and turned to his mother, “Can I get fries?”


Dinner went quite smoothly, Sha’re told Daniel more about how she’d adopted Nicky as well as her work as language tutor while he told her about himself, well as much as he could. It was actually an enjoyable evening to Sha’re’s surprise especially as Daniel spoke to Nicky like he was an intelligent person not a thing that couldn’t understand anything. Sha’re smiled as she realised how enamoured her son already was with his new uncle but this started her worrying again both about Daniel wanting to take Nicky full time or disappearing from their lives and breaking the child’s heart.

Daniel surprised Sha’re by suggesting they go for a walk after dinner. Once they’d paid their bill and started out he’d scooped the little boy up carrying Nicky as the child talked, Sha’re walked at their side watching them. Daniel laughed as Nicky told him about his friends and their games.

“Can I get ice cream?” Nicky asked when he saw the stand in the park, “Please Mommy.”

“Please,” Daniel grinned at Sha’re with almost identical innocence making her roll her eyes.

“Just this once,” Sha’re told them with resignation.

Daniel placed Nicky next to his mother, “What flavour?”

“Chocolate,” Nicky cried instantly.

Daniel glanced up at Sha’re, “What about you?”

“Nothing for me,” she told him, “I’ll share Nicky’s. It’ll be too much for him.”

“Okay,” Daniel grinned and headed over to get them their dessert.


Nicky was fast asleep on Daniel’s shoulder as they walked towards Sha’re’s home, a lovely beach side property that Daniel was very impressed by.

“This was David and Therese’s house,” Sha’re explained as she led him inside, “It was also left to me and I decided that this would be the best place to raise Nicky. It has a large garden out the back where he can play and it overlooks the sea which I love.”

Daniel smiled, he gently shifted Nicky to a slightly more comfortable position on his shoulder, “Where’s his room?”

Sha’re guided him through the house to Nicky’s bedroom. Daniel carried Nicky into the large cheery, toy-filled space and placed him gently on the bed.

At that moment his phone rang and he grimaced as he grabbed it, “Hold on,” Daniel said when he answered before turning to Sha’re, “I have to take this.”

“Just go back to the lounge,” she told him, “I want to put him into his pyjamas.

Daniel nodded and left them placing his phone at his ear again, “What?”

“Daniel,” Sam said, “We’ve got problems.”


Sha’re slid her compliant son under his covers and slid his favourite bear in beside him before placing the quilt over the sleeping boy. Gently she pressed a kiss to his forehead, smiling as he cuddled down and sighed in his sleep. As much as she missed her friends, as much as she wished they were still alive, she couldn’t imagine her life without this little boy in it. She just hoped that Daniel wouldn’t try to take him from her but she was beginning to hope he’d stay in their lives.

“He’s settled for the night,” Sha’re said as she entered the lounge where he was standing, “Do you want some coffee?”

“I have to go,” Daniel told her, “I know I was meant to take Nicky to the park tomorrow but...”

Anger filled Sha’re’s eyes, “Why?”

“It’s my work,” Daniel told her, “And it’s important.”

She folded her hands across her chest, “You told me you wanted to be a part of your nephew’s life and two minutes later you’re already breaking promises to him?”

“That’s not...”

“Yes, it is,” Sha’re snapped, anger flaring in her dark brown eyes, “Get out.”

“Sha’re...”

“Get out,” she told him again, “You’re not welcome here. You’ve met Nicky, you’ve spent time with him so leave and don’t come back.”

Daniel opened his mouth to say something else but couldn’t find the words against her anger.

“I’ll call as soon as I can,” he managed to say before the door slammed in his face.

*********************************************

Daniel left the infirmary annoyed that his arm was now in a sling after a disastrous mission, a disastrous mission that had pulled him away from getting to know his only family and headed to his office. He was avoiding Sam and Teal’c for the moment blaming them for completely ruining his time with his nephew – even if it wasn’t their fault since he was the only person on Earth who could understand the language to release the trap. He wanted to head back to LA and apologise to Sha’re, to explain to her but he was sure that she’d probably slam the door in his face once more.

“Hello,” Daniel said with a sigh when he answered the phone.

“Daniel, it’s me,” his friend replied.

“Jack, you have great timing.”

“Well you weren’t at home and you weren’t answering your cell so I called here,” Jack said, sarcasm in his voice, “I didn’t think your flight got in so soon.”

“Problem offworld meant I had to leave after two days,” Daniel replied, dropping into a seat, “I was meant to take Nicky to the park and I had to break that promise.”

“Daniel...”

“I wanted to be part of his life and now,” he slammed his good hand on the desk, “Jack, I think I just lost the only family I had left.”

“Call her,” Jack told him.

“Jack...”

“Call her and apologise,” Jack told him, “Danny, she’s had a while to calm down. Explain how important leaving was.”

Daniel sighed, “Do you think that’ll work?”

Jack laughed, “You can always try.”


Daniel had tried to talk to Sha’re several times but she hung up on him every time so here he was at their house waiting for her to open the door and hoping she wouldn’t slam it in his face - again.

Sha’re opened the door, she wore a plain green sundress with her long hair hanging loose around her shoulders, “What are you doing here?”

“I thought this way you couldn’t hang up on me,” Daniel told her, he shrugged slightly, “You can slam the door in my face but I will sit here until you decide to talk to me. I want to see Nicky and I won’t leave until I do.”

Sha’re smiled slightly before frowning as she saw his injury, “What happened to your arm?”

Daniel glanced down at the sling holding his left arm to his chest, “Slight accident, I tripped over a friend.”

Sha’re giggled at his wry reply, “Come in, Nicky is playing in the garden.”

Relieved, Daniel followed her inside.

“Uncle Daniel,” Nicky cried as he ran through the room, jumping at Daniel who caught him with his good arm, “You came back.”

“Yeah,” Daniel sighed, hugging his nephew tightly, “I’m sorry I had to leave.”

Nicky wriggled out of the hug and was about to grab Daniel’s hand when he saw the bandage and sling, “Are you hurt?”

“Just a little,” Daniel told him.

“When I’m hurt, mommy kisses it better,” Nicky told him as he gently patted Daniel’s injured hand, “Maybe that would help.”

Daniel caught sight of Sha’re and bit his lip to stop himself grinning, “I don’t think that would work for me.”

“Nicky, why don’t you take Daniel into the garden,” Sha’re told her son, “Everyone else will be here soon.”

This caught Daniel’s attention, “Everyone?”

Sha’re smiled, “Friends of ours are coming for lunch, it’s our turn. Don’t worry, there is at least one man coming as well.”


Sha’re stepped out onto the deck and smiled as she saw Daniel and Nicky running around kicking a soccer ball, Daniel being careful of his hurt arm. Relief filled her that Daniel had fought to see Nicky again, she’d been so angry that, within a few hours, he’d broken his first promise to Nicky but the fact he’d come to LA so that she had to talk to him meant that he was determined to be a part of his nephew’s life and that was a good thing.

When the doorbell rang Sha’re headed to answer it smiling as Debbie, Mike and their two boys stood there, “Come on in,” she told them before smiling at the two boys, “Nicky is in the garden, on you go.”

The two boys ran off to find their playmate leaving their parents with Sha’re, the three adults headed slowly to the back garden and Debbie grabbed her friend’s arm.

“Who is that?” she asked.

“That is Daniel Jackson,” Sha’re replied, smiling as she watched him include the two new boys into the game, “Nicky’s uncle.”

“Wow,” Debbie murmured, receiving a slight shove from her husband, “I love you, honey but wow.”

“I suppose so,” Sha’re replied as she handed them both their usual drinks.

“You suppose?” Debbie cried, she turned to her husband, “Honey, go away.”

Mike rolled his eyes and headed out the back to introduce himself to the other man leaving the two women to gossip.

“Sha’re, I know you haven’t dated much since you became Nicky’s mother,” Debbie said, “But even you have to be able to see how gorgeous that man is.” Sha’re blushed slightly and Debbie laughed, “Oh, you have. And?”

“And nothing,” Sha’re replied sharply, “Daniel is Nicky’s uncle, he’s David’s brother and nothing more to me.”

Debbie patted her friend on the shoulder, “You’re lying to yourself. A long distance relationship isn’t necessarily a bad thing.”

Thankfully before Sha’re could reply the doorbell went, indicating more of the group had arrived so Sha’re left her friend who was grinning at her.


Daniel staggered over to the deck exhausted after running around with the kids; he smiled at the women sitting there, “Hi.”

“Daniel,” Sha’re said, “This is Debbie, Marissa and Alice. You’ve already met Mike.”

“Nice to meet you,” Daniel smiled at the women, very aware of how outnumbered he suddenly was.

“So,” Debbie, the ringleader of the group said, “Where do you live?”

Taking his seat Daniel sighed, “Colorado Springs, but I travel a lot for my work.”

“And what do you do?”

Sha’re smacked her friend’s shoulder slightly as she walked past.

“I’m an archaeologist and a linguist,” he replied, “I’ve been working as a translator for Air Force for the past eight years.”

“That’s sounds interesting,” Debbie continued, “How many languages do you speak?”

Daniel hesitated; he always did when someone asked that question, “About twenty.”

Mike choked on his drink, “What?”

“Most are dead languages,” Daniel assured them, “But at last count it was about twenty.”

They continued to talk not noticing as Alice slipped away to help Sha’re.

“If you don’t want Daniel,” Alice said when she caught the other woman in the kitchen, “Can I have him?”

*********************************************

Sha’re was relieved when her friends finally left, as much as she enjoyed their company they did take a lot of energy. She saw Daniel come back down the stairs and smiled, she did like him but it was complicated.

“He’s asleep,” Daniel told her, “I almost joined him, who knew kids could exhaust you so much.”

Sha’re laughed, “You should have been here when he woke up every few hours to feed. That was exhausting.”

Daniel dropped onto the couch, “I can imagine.”

Sha’re took the seat across from him, “How long are you here for this time?”

Daniel sensed the sharp edge behind the soft question and winced, “Three days. I have to get back to work after that.”

Before Sha’re could say anything else Daniel’s phone rang making him groan, pulling it out of his pocket and seeing who was calling Daniel sighed.

“What is it, Jack?”


Daniel was beginning to think his friends were doing this to him purposely as his phone rang just at the most inopportune moment.

“What is it, Jack?” he demanded.

“Hello to you too,” Jack retorted before launching in to his question, “Where the hell in your office is the file on P34 R2F?”

Daniel could see Sha’re looking annoyed as he turned away from her slightly “Why?”

“I need it,” Jack told him, “And your filing method is insane.”

“What are you doing in my office anyway?” Daniel asked him, “Never mind, go to the computer and you’ll see a shelf in front of you.”

“I’m there,” Jack reported.

“Okay,” Daniel sighed, “Third shelf, under F.”

“Dare I even ask why F?” Jack muttered, “Got it. Thanks, Danny. By the way have you got any food in here?”

“Don’t you have an office of your own?” Daniel demanded before cutting off his friend before he could answer, “Never mind, just don’t break anything this time.”

Jack laughed, “Before you hang up on me, since your birthday is in a few weeks I thought barbecue.”

“I hate...”

“And you can invite your nephew and his mother along,” Jack continued, “Let us meet the kid.”

“I’ll think about it,” Daniel said, “Bye, Jack.”

Hanging up he turned to find Sha’re watching him intently.

“So,” she said sharply, “Are you leaving again?”

“Not yet,” he smiled slightly, “Just a friend trashing my office for some reason of his own. I’m not breaking another promise to Nicky.”

Sha’re nodded allowing a smile to touch her lips, “Good.”


Sha’re invited Daniel to remain for dinner which pleased Nicky who was looking to play some more now he was awake. Thankfully this time it was a board game that Daniel, to his disgust, was losing.

“I won,” Nicky cheered as Daniel groaned, “Mommy, I won.”

“I see,” Sha’re smiled at them before turning to Daniel, “Beaten by a four year old.”

“Thanks for the humiliation,” Daniel told her before turning to the still bouncing little boy, “How about we watch a movie now?”

Nicky nodded and climbed into his uncle’s lap, “Nemo,” he said imperiously.

“What do we say?” Sha’re said sternly.

“Please,” the blue eyes batted innocently at them.

“Alright,” Sha’re told her son, “but you have to go to bed as soon as it is finished with no arguments.”

“Okay,” Nicky said with a long suffering air making Daniel smother a laugh.

Sha’re put on the DVD and put the lights down before taking a seat on the couch, Nicky pouted and tugged his mother’s arm until she moved next to Daniel allowing the boy to sit with both of them. A little embarrassed Sha’re sat stiffly until Nicky moved to sit on both of them meaning she had to relax.

“That wasn’t bad,” Daniel noted when it finished realising Nicky was asleep across their laps, “Has he ever seen the end?”

Sha’re laughed, “Once or twice. Would you mind taking him to his room?”

“Before I do,” Daniel said, “I have two things to ask.”

Sha’re looked at him intrigued, “What?”

“I want to take Nicky for the day tomorrow,” Daniel told her, “Just so I can get to know him some more and it’ll give you the day to yourself.”

“Okay,” she agreed, although a little reluctantly before asking, “What’s number two?”

Daniel shifted uncomfortably, “In a few weeks it’s my birthday and my friends, against my wishes, hold a birthday party every year. I thought, actually Jack thought you guys might like to come,” he glanced at her surprised face and grimaced, “Only if you want.”

Sha’re smiled, “That would be nice.”

*********************************************

Daniel dropped relieved onto the bench just across from the swings exhausted.

“If four year olds could be used to power the city,” a voice made him look up to see Debbie coming over to the bench, “It would stop any energy crisis.”

“Hi,” Daniel smiled as he saw her two sons run over to join Nicky in the sandpit, “Pull up a bench, exhausted people are more than welcome.”

Debbie laughed and took him up on his offer, “Here,” she reached into her bag and pulled out a bottle of water, “You look like you need this.”

Daniel gratefully took the offered liquid, “How do you do it?” he glanced over to where the three boys were running around in circles, “How do you manage not to collapse exhausted in a heap.”

“Oh I do,” Debbie told him, “Just at the end of the day. They are exhausting but I wouldn’t give them up for anything.”

Daniel followed her eyes to his nephew, “Yeah.” He leaned back and drank some of the water sensing Debbie at his side shifting slightly; “Is something wrong?”

“The first day I met Sha’re was at a mother and baby group,” Debbie explained, “It was a group of new mothers and almost all of us already knew one another. She was hanging back uncertainly because she hadn’t been through everything we all had. I didn’t let her hide.”

“I bet,” Daniel laughed.

“Sha’re’s so enamoured by that little boy,” Debbie continued, “I know she barely leaves him, she doesn’t date and suddenly you’re here.”

Confusion covered Daniel’s face, “What?”

Debbie folded her hands on her lap, “I’m going to ask you something that she never would, mostly because she’s afraid of the answer.”

“Ask me what?”

“Are you going to try and take Nicky away from Sha’re?” Debbie asked bluntly.

Daniel stared at her in complete astonishment, “What?”

“You are a blood relative,” Debbie noted, “And you would have a strong case.”

“Hold on,” Daniel stopped her, “Why would she think that?”

“You’ve never said that you won’t,” Debbie reminded him with a shrug.

Daniel sighed, “My work is something that means I couldn’t care for a child but even if I could I would never do that. Sha’re is Nicky’s mother, nothing will change that. I lost my parents when I was a child, Debbie and I would never take that boy away from his mother.”

Debbie smiled and nodded, “That’s good to know, Daniel but you need to tell her that.”


Daniel wanted to tell Sha’re that he didn’t want to take Nicky away from her that night but he didn’t get the chance. When he brought Nicky back from dinner fast asleep on his shoulder, the house was invaded by several of Sha’re’s friends. Daniel quickly deposited the sleeping child in his room, stopping for a few minutes to watch the boy. The thing was he did want to be Nicky’s father, he would love it but he knew that he’d never be able to do it with his work at the SGC. Daniel leaned against the wall and smiled as Nicky cuddled the teddy-bear sighing softly in his deep sleep, if he was being truly honest with himself Daniel knew that he wanted Nicky as his son but he also wanted Sha’re. Quickly leaving the room, he wished Sha’re good night and they agreed to meet for breakfast before his flight home. As he headed back to his hotel that night, Daniel decided that it was best to keep things the way they were because if it went wrong then it would possibly destroy the amicable relationship they had just now - even if he was falling in love with her.

*********************************************

The sun was shining brightly in the almost completely cloudless sky, Jack stood in Daniel’s yard fixing the barbecue while his friend set up the bar in the kitchen. Daniel fought him every year over celebrating his birthday but Jack always won. This year however the argument from Daniel was practically non-existent once Jack mentioned bringing the kid along. It was obvious to anyone who talked to Daniel how much he adored his nephew but the person Jack was looking forward to meeting was the kid’s mother. Jack had known Daniel for years and when he spoke of Sha’re, Jack detected behind the carefully chosen words the feelings developing in his friend. He just hoped he approved of the woman, he hadn’t approved of the last few of Daniel’s girlfriends – all of which hadn’t lasted very long.

“Jack, I’m going to pick up Nicky and Sha’re,” Daniel called to him, “Everyone should be here pretty soon.”

“I’ll look after them while you pick up your guests,” Jack grinned, waving him away with the barbecue fork

Daniel grinned back and left quickly, not seeing the amused look on his friend’s face.


Daniel stood waiting in the arrivals lounge and grinned when he heard Nicky yell his name before he even saw either of them. Daniel crouched down and scooped his nephew up in his arms hugging him tightly.

“I missed you,” Nicky told him.

Daniel kissed the little boy’s head, “I missed you too, kiddo.”

“Hello, Daniel,” Sha’re said as she joined them at a more sedate pace.

He gave her a wide smile and after shifting Nicky slightly took a bag from Sha’re before motioning her to follow him.

“How was your flight?” he asked as he led her to the car.

Sha’re smiled, “It was fine, this was Nicky’s first trip on an airplane.”

“Really?” Daniel asked, as he carried his nephew to the car, “Did you enjoy it?”

Nicky nodded enthusiastically, “It was really loud and then the whole plane leaned back as we left the ground. I want to fly again.”

“You’ll get your chance in a few days,” Daniel reminded him as they reached the car, quickly he placed Nicky into the booster seat he’d bought specifically the day before then took Sha’re’s other bag from her and dropped it in the trunk.

Starting the car Daniel glanced over at Sha’re, “We’ll get you guys checked in to the hotel first then head to the party.”

Sha’re nodded, “Of course.”


Daniel kept Nicky occupied as Sha’re checked into the hotel, before following her up to their room.

Nicky gasped excitedly as he saw he was getting to sleep in the same room as his mother before he scrambled onto the bed closest to the window and looked out at the world below. Sha’re smiled as she set the bag on her bed, “Nicky, come here.”

The boy turned and frowned, knowing he was going to be washed but Sha’re didn’t take any nonsense from her son.

“If you do not come here now then we are not going to your Uncle Daniel’s party,” she reminded him sternly, “Now come here.”

Nicky walked towards his mother with a slight pout on his face, but didn’t make a fuss as Sha’re took him to the bathroom. Daniel sat flicking through the channels on the TV waiting for his guests to be ready. Nicky ran out, dressed in navy shorts with a light blue t-shirt he bounced onto Daniel’s lap and hugged him.

“Daniel,” Sha’re said, “I’m just going to get freshened up and changed. Could you pack Nicky’s bag with a change of clothes for him just in case?”

“Sure,” Daniel smiled at her; he picked Nicky up and dropped him on the bed making him giggle.

Daniel pulled out the small rucksack with a bright cartoon character he didn’t recognise, he found some extra clothes and underwear for Nicky and placed it into the small bag. He looked up as Nicky handed him a bear.

“You want to take him with you?” Daniel asked.

Nicky nodded with a grin making Daniel smile too, he positioned the bear in the bag and zipped it up so the bear’s head was sitting out, “Means he gets to see everything,” Daniel explained to the boy.

“Are we ready?” Sha’re asked, stepping out of the bathroom in a red top and denim cut offs.

Daniel smiled at her, “Completely.”


Jack looked up for a minute when he heard someone enter the garden; he was disappointed to find it was only Lieutenant Marks and his girlfriend Kate, a nurse in the infirmary.

He was looking forward to meeting both Nicky and Sha’re, the background check he’d done on them had only given him cold hard facts, Daniel spoke of them occasionally but as usual he kept his emotions to himself as much as possible.

“Sir,” Sam appeared at his side, “Are the burgers ready yet? You may have a mutiny on your hands if they’re not.”

Jack rolled his eyes, “First lot are just about ready. Tell the hordes they can descend.”

She grinned at him before glancing around, “Aren’t they here yet?”

“Nope,” Jack replied, “I hope he isn’t chickening out of bringing them.”

Sam laughed, “He knows better than to do that. Daniel will be here soon and you can tease him as much as you like.”

“I’m not going to embarrass him in front of the kid and his mother,” Jack looked affronted before grinning at her disbelieving look, “But that doesn’t mean I won’t once they’re gone.”

Sam shook her head but didn’t get a chance to say anything else as several people descended all looking for food. As she glanced up Sam spotted the birthday boy arriving with a beautiful woman and a small boy, the show was about to start.


“Daniel?” Sha’re noticed his reluctance to enter the garden, “Is something wrong?”

“Okay, my friends are good people but...”

“But?”

“They like to tease me,” Daniel explained, “Just don’t take everything they say seriously.”

Sha’re laughed, “I promise. Are we going in now?”

“Sure,” Daniel sighed, he looked down at where Nicky was walking, “Come on.”

Sha’re laughed to herself following Daniel into the party, several people cheered when he arrived and raised their glasses making him blush before they turned back to their conversations.

“Did you get lost?” a tall man with silver hair demanded as he walked over to them.

“Funny,” Daniel replied wryly, “Jack, this is Sha’re and this is Nicky.”

Jack grinned at them both shaking Sha’re’s hand quickly before he turned to Nicky, “Hi, I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Nicky curled into Daniel’s leg; unsure about this new man especially as there were so many people here he didn’t know.

“It’s okay,” Daniel assured the little boy, “Jack’s my best friend. And he knows lots of cool stuff.”

“Really?” the blue eyes looked up at his uncle, “Like what?”

“Nicky,” Sha’re started to scold but Daniel shook his head asking her to let him talk and she stopped herself.

“Remember how much you liked to fly?” Daniel asked his nephew.

Nicky nodded enthusiastically.

“Jack can fly planes,” Daniel told him, grinning at the look of awe filling the boy’s eyes.

“Really?” Nicky asked staring at Jack no longer shy.

Jack nodded, “Come on and get something to eat then you can meet everyone. There are other people who can fly too.”

“Wow,” Nicky let go of Daniel and followed Jack through the garden like an eager puppy.

“Looks like we’ve been abandoned,” Daniel laughed as Sha’re shook her head fondly at her son, “Want a drink?”

“Yes,” Sha’re nodded and smiled when he rested his hand on her back to guide her into the garden.


The party had wound down and the only ones left were Jack, Daniel, Sha’re, Nicky, Teal’c, Sam, Janet and Cassie. Nicky had loved playing with Cassie and her dog, as well as listening to Jack tell him about planes. Daniel grabbed another drink for him and Sha’re before sitting beside her on the couch as she watched her son with his new friends.

“He had a good time today,” Daniel noted, seeing Nicky continue to pet the dog as he watched a movie cuddling his bear.

“We both did,” Sha’re replied softly, “You have a lot of friends, some are quite strange but they all seem to care a great deal for you.” She smiled amused as a slight blush touched his cheeks, “Nicky loved meeting them.”

“What about you?” Daniel asked quietly.

Sha’re smiled again, “I have been told some wonderful stories about you today.”

“Remember I told you not to believe everything they told you,” Daniel winced as she laughed at him.

“Don’t worry, there was nothing bad,” Sha’re assured him, she yawned slightly, “I should get Nicky back to the hotel. It’s past his bedtime.”

“I’ll...”

“Call a cab for us,” Sha’re told him, “You should enjoy the rest of your night with your friends.”

“It’s no trouble,” Daniel assured her.

Sha’re laughed, “But if you take us back Nicky will want you to stay and he will not go to bed. How about we meet tomorrow for breakfast before you take Nicky out?”

“Sure,” Daniel told her, “I’ll come by about nine thirty.”


Daniel called a cab for Sha’re and Nicky, while Sha’re tried get her son ready to leave. The boy pouted not wanting to go, he wriggled away from his mother and crawled onto Daniel’s lap clinging onto his uncle’s neck.

“Nicky,” Daniel said, “It’s time to go. You need your sleep and so does your Mom.”

“We can stay here,” Nicky told him earnestly, “I can sleep on the couch and Mommy can sleep in your bed.”

Jack started to choke on his drink at this announcement; Daniel turned and silenced him with a glare.

“Nicky,” Daniel said to his nephew, “Remember how nice your room was back at the hotel? Well you want to get to sleep there and tell me all about it tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay,” Nicky replied in a small voice.

Daniel smiled and gave the boy a hug, “Good boy. Now go get your bag packed so you don’t lose your teddy.”

As Nicky hurried around getting his things together Sha’re turned to Daniel and gave him a warm smile,

“Thank you,” she said softly, “You seem to always appeal to logic and he listens to you.”

Daniel shrugged, “So did I at his age.”

Sha’re gently kissed his cheek as the cab arrived, she gathered up her son and headed back to the hotel.


“So,” Jack joined Daniel on the patio after everyone else had left, “That was Sha’re.”

“Leave it, Jack,” Daniel sighed.

Jack gave him an innocent look, “Leave what?”

“Whatever remark you’ve had cooking in that brain of yours all night,” Daniel told him, “I don’t want to hear it.”

Jack chuckled, “I was just going to say I like her, and Nicky is just the cutest kid I’ve seen in ages.”

Daniel smiled slightly, “He is, isn’t he?”

“How long are they staying for?” Jack asked.

“They’re heading home in two days,” Daniel replied, “She’s letting me take Nicky for the day tomorrow; it means she can do what she wants.”

Jack laughed, “Sounds good. Though you should take them both to the zoo, Charlie loved it.”

“Really?”

Jack smiled at his friend, “Nicky will love it.”

*********************************************

Sha’re sighed as Daniel kissed her, his arms locked around her waist as she wrapped her arms around his neck holding onto him. Their embrace deepened and Sha’re felt the wall against her back as Daniel pressed against her his body moulding to hers.

“Don’t stop,” Sha’re whispered as their lips parted, “Please don’t stop.”

Daniel suddenly stepped back from her.

“Daniel?” she asked confused as he backed away from her, “Where are you going? What did I do?”

He shook his head again, “Why would I want to be with you?”

“Daniel,” she called reaching for him but he was walking away and she suddenly realised he was taking Nicky with him, “Nicky!!” she cried trying to run after them but she was stuck to the spot, “No!!!”


“Mommy?”

Sha’re gasped as she woke up to find her confused little boy standing at her side looking worried.

“Mommy, did you have a bad dream?” he asked her clinging to his teddy bear fearfully.

Sha’re reached out and lifted him onto the bed with her, Nicky wriggled until he was under the covers with her his head on the pillow beside her.

“I’ll protect you from your bad dreams, Mommy,” he promised.

Sha’re gently kissed her son’s forehead, “I know, baby and thank you.”

They lay snuggled together until it was time to get up, as Sha’re took a quick shower Nicky sat and watched some cartoons while telling his bear about how much he was looking forward to spending the day with his uncle Daniel.

When Sha’re was finished she stood listening to her little boy, she knew how much he loved Daniel but considering her dream the night before Sha’re was beginning to realise her own feelings for the man were more than friendship. Unfortunately they lived in California and he lived in Colorado, long distance relationships didn’t work. She knew this. But she couldn’t suddenly refuse to let him see Nicky again.

Checking the clock she started getting her son ready for the day.


Nicky ran to hug Daniel when they saw him in the lobby, Daniel lifted the boy into his arms and gave Sha’re a quick smile. Sha’re couldn’t stop herself from smiling back at him. Her dream came to mind again and for a few seconds she wondered what it would be like to kiss him.

“Mommy,” Nicky cried, “Uncle Daniel says he’s taking me to the zoo.”

“That sounds wonderful,” Sha’re told him.

Daniel smiled at her, “Why don’t you come too? It’ll be fun.”

Sha’re hesitated, they’d talked about Daniel having this day alone with Nicky but she had wondered what she would do all day alone.

“Please, Mommy,” Nicky called, “It’ll be lots of fun.”

At her son’s plea Sha’re nodded, “Of course. That sounds like lots of fun.”

Daniel beamed, “Fantastic, after breakfast we’ll get going.”


Daniel carried a sleeping Nicky back into the hotel. They’d had a wonderful day; Nicky dragged them both to see all the animals reading about them then making sure both knew everything. Sha’re was walking at their side carrying the bag filled with the t-shirt, books and several stuffed animals Daniel had bought him during their trip as well as his trainers that he’d lost in the car on the way back.

They headed up to the room in silence, once there Daniel gently rested the little boy on his bed and covered him. He turned back to where Sha’re was packing the things he’d bought today.

“You shouldn’t have bought him so much,” Sha’re said.

“I wanted to,” Daniel reminded her.

Sha’re laughed, “I know. It has been a wonderful few days, Daniel. It’s a shame we have to leave tomorrow.”

Daniel shrugged, “You could always stick around for a few more days.”

“I wish we could but I have to get back to work,” Sha’re sighed, “I know Nicky would love to spend more time with you.”

“Well I could bring him back to LA in a few days,” Daniel suggested.

“Oh, Daniel,” Sha’re whispered, she gently bit her lip, “I can’t...I can’t leave him here. I’m sorry.”

Daniel shrugged trying not to show his disappointment, “Maybe some other time then.”

“Perhaps,” Sha’re replied non-committal.

“Well I’ll get going and let you get some rest,” Daniel said, “I’ll come pick you up tomorrow and we can have lunch in the airport before you leave.”

Sha’re was about to protest he didn’t have to, stopping herself as she knew he wanted to spend some more time with Nicky, “Of course. We’ll see you about ten?”

Daniel nodded, he leaned in and kissed her cheek, they both paused before Sha’re quickly moved away.

“Goodnight, Daniel.”