Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Surprise!

by Roeskva
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Later

Tanya/Sheyla had taken a taxi home with all their many purchases. It had taken them a long time to get everything stacked on shelves, or to fit in the part of the refrigerator and freezer they were allowed to use. When they finally succeeded, Tanya just felt like throwing herself on the bed and sleeping for the rest of the weekend. She was starting to get hungry, though.

*What would you like for dinner? Oh, by the way...do you cook?*

*You mean, do I know how to prepare a meal? I have of course never tried it before, and preparing food is not really a large part of my genetic memories. Probably my mother assumed I would learn that from my host...I believe I can roast meat over an open fire - and I am able to make flat bread, cook porridge and such. But I believe that is the limit. Another thing is - you have very different products - at least they appear much different in their current packing.*

*Never mind. I will cook.*

*I would like to try...perhaps something simple? If you show me how to use the stove, I can...roast a chicken?*

Tanya sighed, then gave in. She began to help her eager symbiote prepare their dinner.

-
Next day.

Tanya woke up to find herself sitting in front of her laptop. Sheyla was looking at a map of the world, and noted down something on a sheet of paper.

*What are you doing? When did you get up?*

*About an hour ago. I awoke and suddenly had an idea about how to search for the chaapa'ai in the most efficient manner. I know how far away from it I am able to sense it - which is about 3000 of your miles. Since I do not currently feel it, it must be further away than that.*

*The chaapa'ai...that was the transportation portal?*

*Yes. It means...'stargate'.*

*...and you can sense it 3000 miles away? How?*

*It contains large amounts of relatively pure naquadah. We can sense even small amounts of this element if we are close to it, but the chaapa'ai gives off a very strong signal. It 'resonates' with the naquadah in our blood. We can sense other symbiotes that way as well, but only as far away as about 50 feet.*

*Wow! That's strange! Anyway...what do you want to do then - to find it, I mean? The planet is huge!*

*Yes...I know, but our task is not impossible. I am determining which places we need to visit in order to make a grid covering the entire land mass of this world. We can use commercial transportation to circle your planet a couple of times. I found a map of 'airplane' routes which can be utilised. Some of those traverses a long stretch - this is fortuitous since we will then have covered a large area quickly. The airplanes also travel at a low height, so I will easily be able to sense the chaapa'ai from aboard one of them. The Supreme System Lord Ra maintained a presence on your world until about 5000 years ago. The natives rebelled and buried the chaapa'ai, but it may have been unburied since then. I researched Ra using something called 'google'. It appears he is known as the Egyptian Sun God. I therefore believe we will have the highest probability of finding the chaapa'ai in Egypt. We should go there first. If that is not where it is located - or if it is still buried, we should search for a ship nearby. If the chaapa'ai has been moved and no ship can be found, we will need to systematically scan your planet. I have made a list of flights we must take in order to scan the entire surface....*

*Now, hold on a second. These flights are expensive, and I do not have enough money to travel the world. We can get to Egypt, but not pay for expeditions around the country to look for spaceships...and we will need to hire men to help us dig. That would be not just a economic problem, but we would also have to hide it from the authorities. One way or another, this is going to be very expensive...we would need maybe 6000-7000 pounds just to get started - and that is if we can get by with a small group of men to help us dig out a ship. They would also need money to shut up about what they saw. I have about 1800 pounds on my account... I am sorry, but you did not get a very rich host.*

*I understand well. Do not worry, we will find a way. Do you know of any other options for acquiring wealth?*

*What do you think? That I would live in a tiny room if I had the money to stay somewhere else? Never mind. It was a rhetorical question...* She thought for a while. *My cousin Simon works as a dealer at a casino in London. He taught me poker and blackjack a couple years ago. I was...reasonably good at it. Perhaps we could win some money?*

*Poker? Blackjack? What are those?*

*Card games.* Tanya showed Sheyla her memories of them and how to play. *I doubt we could win, though. Statistically, the odds are against us and the casino is always the winner. There are some loopholes which can be exploited if you are able to count cards. I don't think I can do that, though...besides, I just remembered that the casino Simon works at has a 1000 pound membership fee.*

*The card games seems easy enough. It is a simple matter of mathematics. It is certainly worth trying...I have a photographic memory, so I should be good at counting cards.*

Tanya sounded unsure. *Even if we had a chance, we still need to pay the fee...and buy for at least the same amount chips...and I need some very different clothing. I would be expected to wear a smart dress - and an expensive one. We also need to pay for two...hehe...sorry, one train ticket. All in all I believe we need maybe 500 pounds more than what I have in my bank account.*

*How would we best procure such a sum? Do this city not have gambling avenues as well?*

*No...well, there is an amusement arcade that I know of, but we are not going to get rich playing the fruit machines...I believe there has been some talk of building a small casino, but so far nothing has happened. The closest is in Brighton...I guess we could go play billiards or something at a local pub. Though, that will not get us many thousands of pounds - and while I know the rules I'm bad at playing.*

*We do not need thousands of pounds, merely 500 - remember? We will win the rest at a casino in London, as you suggested. How is 'billiards' played? Perhaps I will do better than you. Do you know of some place we could go to practice?*

*I...* Tanya started to object, then relented. *There is a billiards table at the local pub - and since this is early Sunday afternoon there would be relatively few people there...OK. Let's go there, and I will show you how to play.*

It turned out Sheyla found billiards to be very easy. That evening they managed to win nearly 150 pounds from the surprised regulars. Any resentment evaporated when Tanya/Sheyla bought a round of beers for the losers.

-
Monday morning.

Tanya was apprehensive about meeting her friends and coworkers. She was afraid they would somehow be able to sense Sheyla...or at least detect a change in her own behaviour. Sheyla tried to calm her, as they left for work.

*What if they interrogate me about the cracked jar? I am a horrible liar!*

*Let me handle it - I will be able to convince them.*

*I am not so sure you should talk to them.*

*...using your voice, of course.*

*Still...well, let's see how it goes.*

The bicycle ride was uneventful - Sheyla was no longer scared and took great pleasure in observing their surroundings. Pedaling hard, they arrived at the dig only a few minutes late. They parked the bicycle and hurried to the main trailer where the students usually met with the professor and his assistant every morning to coordinate the days work.

Professor Johnson looked up as Tanya entered. "You're late!" he observed, then returned to the monologue she had heard some of when she approached the trailer. On the table was the broken stasis jar. "So you all claim to be innocent? Well the jar didn't break itself! Out with it! Which one of you miserable worms vandalized this priceless vase? Or was it just drunken clumsiness? Perhaps you returned here and fooled around in the night?"

His assistant looked apologetic and tried to stop the torrent of words. "Professor - all we found were a hole that had been torn in the side of the tent. There were some hair on it, and paw-marks beside it. I am certain it must have been the guard dog. Perhaps it was chasing another animal? Nothing has been stolen, and the jar really just looked as if it had been bumped down. Why do you always blame the students for everything? They have never done anything like this before."

"Perhaps you did it then? Hmm?" The professor was clearly starting to calm down a bit. He suddenly remembered Tanya had just arrived, and that he had not asked her. "Tanya - did you see anything suspicious before you left Friday?"

"No. I left at the same time as the others. All was normal then."

The professor sighed. "Oh, well. Perhaps it was the guard dog, then. Damn bastard. I knew we should have gotten that rottweiler instead..." he waved the students off, "go and finish taking photographs of the rest of the finds and catalogue them before they too are destroyed. Afterwards you can continue digging in section 17B." He sat down and pulled the jar closer. Tanya/Sheyla heard him comment to his assistant as they left the trailer.

"What do you think the fluid is? It seems to have soporific properties. Perhaps here once was a pharmacy here and this was one of their products?"

Relieved, Tanya/Sheyla left the trailer and went to the tent. As they walked towards the table with the artifacts from the room the stasis jar had been in, Tanya noticed a strange sensation, almost like a humming or a 'zap'.

*What is that?*

*The naquadah in my blood is resonating with the naquadah in some of the 'artifacts'. Several of them are of Tok'ra or Goa'uld design and they contain naquadah.* She went over to the table, picked up a hand device and started to put it on.

*Whoa! I'm not sure that is a good idea - it's an old piece of jewelry and probably fragile.*

*Fragile? Not at all. It will stay in perfect condition for many many thousands of years. Symbiotes have a life expectancy of around 10000 years, so we believe in quality...unlike some of the things you appear to favour here...*

Tanya started to grumble, when one of the other students came over to them.

"Tanya! What are you doing? What if professor Johnson sees you? He is going to explode!"

"Sorry. It just looked like it would fit like this - I wanted to know how it was supposed to be worn." She started to take the hand device off as the other student returned to what he had been doing, shaking his head at her.

They had worked on the artifacts for a couple of hours when Jeremy Jameson entered. He came over to where the students were working. "Listen, I'm sorry about this morning. Professor Johnson has a temper, as you well know, but he didn't mean it that way. We don't suspect you of having done anything. It was just bad luck - the guard dog was probably chasing a cat or something and they happened to knock over the jar..." he sneezed. "Anyway, we still don't have much of an idea of what we have found. It looks Egyptian, much of it. We have decided to send the photos to an expert, so..." he sneezed again, "...if you have finished taking pictures and cataloguing the find, I would like to mail the results by the end of the day."

"Actually, we have just finished it." Tanya said, handing him the notes and the digital camera.

"Thank you." He sneezed again - and again. "Damn pollen. You don't seem bothered by it today, Tanya? I thought you had hay fever as well? There's a lot of grass pollen today."

"I do. However..." Tanya thought frantically. Her allergy was gone, because of Sheyla, but she couldn't say that! "...however, I...I found some new tablets that I am trying. They are working great! I haven't sneezed at all this weekend!"

"That sounds wonderful. What are the tablets called?"

"I...I don't remember right now...I will write down the name for you for tomorrow."

"OK, thanks. It would be great if it works for me as well." Jeremy left with the notes and camera.

They spent the rest of the day digging in section 17B as instructed. Sheyla found the work interminably boring and kept interrupting Tanya with questions and talked about everything. Tanya started to get irritated, and Sheyla decided to take a nap. Tanya continued working, annoyed that Sheyla did not have to. Finally, the work day was over and Tanya went out to her bicycle, 'nudging' Sheyla awake. The symbiote yawned and 'stretched'.

*Knocking-off time?*

*When did you learn that expression?* Tanya sounded irritated, *...yes, it is finally time to go home for today.*

*Could we have pizza for dinner? I think that would be nice...besides, you deserve it after all the hard work!* She giggled.

Tanya moaned and answered in a long-suffering tone. *Yes, why not...*

They went to the local pizza place on the way home and picked up a medium-sized one on their way home.

When they had just finished eating, they heard Tanya's land lady's old car arriving. *Mrs. Wilkins just came back - she is the lady I rent the room from. She is nice - and she has a cute dog. I'm sure you will like it if you liked the squirrels in the park.*

Not long after they heard a knock on the door to their room. "Come in!"

The door opened and an elderly, friendly looking woman came into the room. "Hello, Tanya. I just wanted to tell you that I am back again...and ask you if you would mind taking Dina for a walk? She always get restless after a long car drive, the poor thing - and I am exhausted and need to sit down."

"Of course, Mrs. Wilkins. I'll be there in a moment."

"Thank you, dear." Mrs. Wilkins smiled and closed the door after her.

Tiredly, Tanya got up and started putting on her shoes again.

*I assume 'Dina' is the name of the dog?*

*You assume correctly...I do like it, but I really didn't want to walk it right now.*

*Me neither, but I believe it would serve us well to be on good terms with Mrs. Wilkins.*

They went to pick up the dog. As soon as it saw them, it happily ran to them and started dancing around. Tanya bent down and patted it on the head, then gave Sheyla control. She happily petted the dog for several minutes while it weaved around their legs and licked her hands.

*So much for the myth about domestic animals being able to detect the presence of aliens...* Tanya commented sarcastically.

*It is adorable...a living animal...for me to walk...and touch, and pet...and play with!*

Tanya moaned inwardly at her enthusiastic symbiote.

*...and it seems to be well aware that we will take it for a walk.* Sheyla observed.

*Yes. I walk it almost every day. Mrs. Wilkins only takes it for small trips, so it is always happy to see me - and about the prospect of a long walk.*

*It is really cute.* Sheyla smiled happily. *When we find the Tok'ra, I really hope they will let me keep some pets.*

*Didn't you say they lived in underground tunnels, always on the run? If that is the case I doubt they will have the opportunity to keep pets.*

*Sadly, you are probably right. We shall see...Tanya, can I please be in control while we go for this walk?*

*Sure, be my guest!*

They walked for a while, Sheyla very focused on the dog and obviously happy.

*Are all Tok'ra this exuberant over everything?*

Sheyla sobered, and was quiet for a little while before she answered her host. *No...Tanya, I am very young and inexperienced, and everything is new and interesting to me...however, that is not the main reason. This will most likely be my only real holiday for a very very long time. When we do find the Tok'ra I will join the fight against the Goa'uld...or if we learn that I am the last Tok'ra, I will restart the fight. In either case, it will be a very hard and dangerous life without time for much fun. I am merely...trying to enjoy myself to the fullest while I still can.*

*I'm sorry. I hadn't thought of it in that way. Please...have all the fun you can.*

-
Over the week Tanya/Sheyla spent the evenings at different pubs and succeeded in winning a total of 507 pounds sterling before it became too difficult for them to find someone who would risk playing with them.

It was Saturday evening, and Tanya/Sheyla had just collected their winnings.

*Maybe we could try just one more place?* Sheyla sounded hopeful.

*No. We have enough money. Let's go home and eat and relax. It has been a hard week and we deserve a break.*

*...but it is still early...and I am having so much fun!*

*Too much fun! Did you really have to flirt with all the creeps in there?*

*They were not all 'creeps'. Some of them were quite cute. Just because you 'suck' at finding a mate does not mean I have to. I don't want to stay a virgin.*

*You have a bad taste - and besides, I am just being...selective. I do want a...a mate, eventually. Just not anybody.*

*What about the bartender?*

*OK...I admit it. He was kind of cute, but we are still going home!*

Sheyla sighed. *I am a queen...I need a mate. I must give birth to more Tok'ra...what if I am the last of my people?*

*Don't be so melodramatic! We'll find the other Tok'ra. If we actually win enough money - and your idea works, we can soon be on our way to finding them. Then we can perhaps find a cute guy among the Tok'ra and have those symbiote-kids. I don't know any safe places for them on this planet, and we would have terrible problems finding hosts for them here anyway.*

*You are correct, of course...Tanya? What you said...have you decided to let me stay?*

*I...I didn't think about what I was saying, but...I...I guess I am starting to get used to you. I would actually miss you if you left, I have to admit that. So...yes, I suppose so.*

*Thank you!* Sheyla was ecstatic and hugged her host enthusiastically. *Let's go home and complete the blending immediately!*

*Calm down! Just because I am upgrading your status to permanent resident doesn't mean I am ready to share all my memories, yet.*

*You don't have to. You can keep some private, as can I. We also can keep some of our thoughts private, as I have shown you. Please...it is really unpleasant to have to block thoughts, memories, feelings the whole time.*

*OK...I suppose I agree to it, then...* Tanya said.

*Good! Thank you...let's celebrate? Perhaps go to a good restaurant? Maybe the cinema to see a movie?*

*Another day? I really feel like going home to relax. What do you say we rent a couple of movies and then just buy a pizza on the way home?*

*I suppose we can do that...OK...I do like pizza...but we get to pick one movie each, right?*

Tanya sighed. *You can pick both, if you like...but no anchovies on the pizza - that is the price!*

*Agreed.*

-
Later that night.

*Tanya?*

*Zzzzzzz...mphh?* Tanya slowly woke up. *What now?*

*I had a nightmare...I can't fall asleep again.*

*Your fault! I told you not to eat a while bag of crisps on top of a large pizza - and beer...I'm not surprised.*

*That is not the problem...it is the movie...it was very scary...*

*Yes, it was...and I distinctly remember telling you no horror sci-fi movies...but did you listen? No, you did not. You claimed that nothing human imagination could think up could come close to the horrors you can see in your genetic memories...*

*All right. I admit it...I was wrong. Happy?*

*Not if it's going to keep you - and thus me - awake!* Tanya realised she was being unfair. *Sorry. I have had my share of nightmares after watching movies I should have stayed away from...don't worry about it. It is just a stupid movie...free fantasy. Body-snatching alien parasites don't exist in reality. Go back to sleep.* Tanya mentally pulled the covers up over her head.

*Somehow I have a hard time trusting that statement...and so should you, given what I have told you about the Goa'uld...and, I suppose, given that I am in your head.*

Tanya thought about it for a moment, then started giggling. *OK...I suppose you are right about that...I just have a hard time thinking about you in those terms...*

*I will take that as a compliment.* Sheyla smiled. *I am feeling much better now. It helps talking with you. I think I can sleep now...good night.*

*Good night.* Tanya hugged her warmly, and they fell asleep.

-
Friday, just after noon.

Tanya had taken a half holiday, so they could arrive in London early enough to buy a nice dress and go to the hairdresser before visiting the casino. They had packed a backpack with clothing and the gifts for Tanya's brother, and now stood at the railway station, waiting for the train.

As it rolled into the station, Sheyla looked on with interest. They boarded the train and found their seat.

*What an unusual mode of transportation!* Sheyla remarked.

*I guess you are far more advanced?*

*Well, some planets are very advanced, but none of those are under Goa'uld rule. It is not that we symbiotes don't have the knowledge, but the Goa'uld keep their subjects ignorant in order to maintain the superstition that they are gods. Any kind of advanced knowledge would be a direct threat to them. As for the Tok'ra...a secret resistance hiding underground can not risk building any structures which can be detected.*

The train trip went well and they arrived in London about an hour and a half later. After checking into a cheap hotel, they first went shopping for a dress, then they had their hair done. After a quick dinner they went to the casino.

*I can't believe you talked me into buying this dress!* Tanya complained as she handed her coat to the cloakroom attendant. *It looks like something out of a James Bond movie...*

*It is suitable for the occasion. It emphasizes our shape and especially our breasts. I expect it will keep the attention of the males on our body, and make them less observant of our game. Hopefully we will appear the 'vacuous blond' rather than a card-counting shark. We will flirt with them and take all their money.* Sheyla grinned. *While one of us have fun with the men and keep them occupied...perhaps down some drinks - the other will concentrate on counting cards. They will never know what hit them, and we will get the money we need.*

*OK...OK, I get it. So...who flirts and who counts cards?*

*Hmmm...maybe I should let you handle most of the social interaction as I do not have much experience yet. You know...a lake and a stasis jar is not much of a training ground.*

*I doubt they would notice anything besides my...our cleavage in this outfit! Believe me! Besides, I don't have any experience in a place like this either...but...OK, let's try.*

Soon they were sitting at a Blackjack table in a large and richly decorated room. Sheyla did not appreciate the decor, finding it 'too Goa'uld' in style, since there was a quite a lot of gold and brocade.

Tanya did her best, pretending to be a not-very-intelligent young woman who had never played cards before. She smiled seductively at the men, accepted all the drinks they bought her, and talked happily about nothing in particular. Meanwhile, Sheyla dutifully counted the cards and kept an eye on everything. She told Tanya when the count was high, and when she should just bet the house minimum. It was a good thing Tanya had learned the rules of this game from her cousin.

Whenever they won - which was often - Tanya giggled happily and insisted this or that man was bringing her luck.

Finally it was late evening. Tanya and Sheyla cashed in their chips and left. They had done very well and had made almost 9000 pounds. They were very tired and hurried back to their hotel. They were asleep almost before their head hit the pillow. It had been a long and exhausting day.

They got up around noon and checked out. Sheyla had been too tired - and too drunk - to think of clearing their systems of the alcohol when they returned the evening before. This meant she had to fix their hangover now, and she was feeling somewhat grumpy.

They were both still feeling somewhat queasy. They had deposited the money in the bank and then walked to the nearest Underground station. They were going to Tanya's parents house where the party was going to be held.

*We will take the tube to a station not far from where my parents live - it will not take more than about 20-25 minutes.*

After the relatively short trip they arrived at the 'Ealing Common station' and got off. The distance to her parents house was no more than about a mile. Since the weather was nice it was a pleasant walk. Tanya and Sheyla had agreed that Tanya would stay in control while they visited her parents, to avoid anyone noticing any unusual behaviour and becoming suspicious.

-
Later that day, at the birthday party.

Somehow Tanya/Sheyla had ended up sitting beside her brother, Patrick, at the dinner table. She usually tried to avoid that, as he got very obstinate after a few drinks. He always insisted on telling her about this or that conspiracy the government had against the population, often in conjunction with any number of aliens.

It was Patrick's birthday, and thus everyone wanted to drink with him. This was bad, because he was already drunk enough to start talking about his latest alien conspiracy after 30 minutes - but also good, since the others constantly interrupted him to toast him.

Sheyla was studying everyone and everything with interest. This was her first party, and first visit to a Tau'ri family's home. The interactions between friends and family was fascinating, though she felt left out and soon began missing being part of the family.

Tanya's brother turned to them again. He looked ready to argue over some of his theories.

"Tanya. I just read this amazing book about the Egyptian pyramids. It is written by an archaeologist, so you ought to be more open to this theory than you usually are..."

Tanya mentally rolled her eyes. "You don't say? And what has this...'colleague' of mine found out? Who is he, by the way?"

"A Doctor Daniel Jackson. He gives very compelling evidence that the pyramids are really landing platforms for alien spaceships."

*OK...that's insane!*

*Not at all - quite the contrary. He is correct. The Goa'uld built pyramids in Egypt among other places. This is very interesting - we need to know more...perhaps we should seek out this Doctor Jackson. Ask your brother for details.*

*He would think I am making fun of him if I appear too interested.* She looked at her brother. "I find that extremely difficult to believe. What are his theories? Does he actually have proof?"

Her brother smiled and very quickly got up from his chair, nearly stumbling as he was somewhat intoxicated. "Just a moment - I will let you eva...evaluate that for yourself."

He hurried out of the room. A few moments later he came back, carrying a package which he handed to Tanya. "Here you go."

"You have bought a gift for me? But it is your birthday?"

"Yes, but you need to read this book!"

Tanya looked curiously at her brother, then unwrapped the gift.

"It is the book I talked about - the one by Doctor Daniel Jackson."

Tanya turned the book over in her hands, looking at the picture of the author, and reading the short summary. She then flipped through a few pages.

"Thank you. I will read it when I get back home."

"Good. Then you can call me when you have finished it! I'm sure you will agree with me this time!"

*You may have to...* Sheyla commented to Tanya.

*Not if I can flee the planet and join the Tok'ra first!"

*Technically you have already joined the Tok'ra, since you are my host...*

*Details! You know what I meant.*

-
The rest of the party was uneventful. Next day Tanya/Sheyla went to London Zoo as they had planned.

While Sheyla liked all the animals in the zoo and was fascinated by the great variation of species gathered in the same place, she loved the Children's Zoo most. There were goats, sheep, and llama's, as well as other animals which the public were allowed to pet. Unfortunately, there were no squirrels or rabbits, but the goats in particular were funny.

Sheyla sat down in the middle of a small group of goats and starting touching them, very carefully at first. They seemed friendly enough, and she marvelled at their fur which was both soft and coarse at the same time. The goats were accustomed to humans, and they quickly surrounded her when they realised she seemed to be willing to pet them indefinitely. Tanya was not particularly fond of goats, and let Sheyla stay in control the entire time.

*Sheyla!* Tanya exclaimed alarmed. *Our shirt is disappearing into the mouth of one of the goats! It's eating it!*

*Yes, it's cute, isn't it? Wait a minute...they are feeding it enough, right?*

*Yes, don't worry. Goats will try to eat anything, always - in that way they resemble you, I guess...*

*Nonsense! You are implying that I am gluttonous - I am not. I am merely curious, which is the hallmark of a great mind!*

*Yeah, whatever.*

Before they could continue, they heard a voice. "You must really like goats! Most people only stay in there for a short time, but you have been sitting there for more than half an hour!"

Sheyla turned around, and saw that it was a young man, one of the keepers. She gave control to Tanya, so she could answer him. He was very handsome and she immediately became embarrassed. *Say something - he is cute!* Sheyla urged.

*Perhaps, but now is not a good time - we talked about that, remember? When we get back to the Tok'ra you can play all the seduction schemes you want!* Out loud she said. "Very funny. Don't you have anything better to do than watch the customers for half an hour?" She got up, and dusted off her clothing, then pulled her shirt out of the mouth of the nearest goat. Not looking back she hurried out of the pen, salvaging whatever was left of her pride. The poor guy looked rather crestfallen.

They walked around the Zoo for another couple of hours, then left to take the train home to Hastings.

-
The next week went without incident. Tanya/Sheyla worked in the archaeological dig during the day, and then in the evenings they worked on planning their travel around the world in more detail. They made the decision to start the journey in one month, when Tanya would have finished working in the dig and there would still be a couple of weeks before she would start her postdoc position.