Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Surprise!

by Roeskva
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
About 3 1/2 weeks earlier. Friday late afternoon.

Tanya was locking the gate in the fence around their digging site, while the four other students working there stood nearby, talking.

"Tanya? We were thinking about going to the party at Tony's sister's flat - she's apparently invited about 25 people! I'm sure it will be fun...are you coming?" Scott said. He smiled at her, hoping she would attend as he had a crush on her.

"Not sure - perhaps. I was thinking about going to see the X-files movie tonight...what time do the party start?"

"8 o'clock, I think?" he looked over at Tony, who nodded, "but most probably don't show up until later, so if you want to catch the movie first, then you can just come later..." he looked hopeful.

"I just may..." she smiled, as she unlocked her bicycle. "Well...see you...either tonight or Monday..." she waved at the others who were also leaving.

About 10 minutes later, Tanya realised she had forgotten her cell phone on one of the tables back at the dig. *Aaw...man...that's just typical! Now I'll either be late for the movie or I won't get anything to eat!* Having to admit she would need the phone before Monday, she sighed and turned her bicycle around.

Unlocking the gate, Tanya tiredly walked to where she knew she had forgotten her cell phone.

She had just picked it up when she heard the guard dog bark, then a cat's angry snarl. Going outside to see what was happening, she saw the cat disappear through a small opening in the tent containing their finds. The dog, being too large to easily fit through, started to rip at the opening. It managed to get in just as Tanya got there. She closed her eyes and moaned as she heard angry noises from the animals, followed by a loud crash.

She quickly unzipped the tent door and hurried inside, fearful of what might have happened and hoping nothing priceless had been destroyed. The animals flew past her as she entered.

Ignoring them, she ran to the table. Her hope that nothing was damaged evaporated as she immediately saw the previously perfectly preserved - and sealed - vase or canopic jar. In the fall, the lid and some of the top had broken off. It was tipped at an angle, resting against one of the legs of the table. Some sort of liquid was spilling from it.

Cursing to herself, she went to pick up the jar before any more of the fluid leaked out. As she bent over it, she caught a hint of an unusual smell. Very soporific. Just as she imagined seeing a flash of movement inside it, she yawned mightily. Moments later she was thrown backwards by the force of something sliding into her mouth. The sensation was immediately followed by a gagging feeling, and then a sharp pain in the back of her throat.

Letting go of the jar, she stumbled further back and sat down heavily on the floor, just as everything went black.

She awoke sometime later, lying on the floor on her back. The first she registered, even before opening her eyes, was someone talking to her.

*Tanya? I am so sorry...I am Sheyla. I thought you were volunteering...do not worry, though. I am Tok'ra - not Goa'uld. I promise you that I will leave you as soon as I can find another host...unless you want me to stay, of course...* she finished, hopeful.

"Sheyla? What the hell are you talking about? Volunteering? For what? What is a Tok...something...made of gold?"

*You do not need to speak out loud! I can hear you just fine...just think the words to me!*

"Think the words? Are you a bloody telepath or what...wait...you're....you're in my head?" Tanya almost screamed the last part.

Sheyla sighed. Great, just great. Not only had she taken an involuntary host, but said host apparently had never even heard of either the Tok'ra or the Goa'uld. Well, that might have some advantages...at least she would not automatically be suspected of being a Goa'uld...she decided she had better try to explain.

*Yes, I am in your head - and please try to be quiet? I have no idea what enemies might be here.*

*There are no enemies here - there actually won't be anyone at all here until they come to feed the dog tomorrow, and they will most likely not come in here.* Tanya managed to 'think' to whomever Sheyla was. "Now get the fuck our of my head!!!" she yelled.

*I am afraid I can not do that so soon...to attempt it would most likely kill us both...* she spent some minutes flooding Tanya's system with calming substances.

*Then, if I'm stuck with you for the time being, can you at least tell me who - or what you are? How can you talk inside my head...be in my head?*

*I am a Tok'ra symbiote...a symbiotic life form. In our natural form we are aquatic and can not truly interact much with our surroundings. For that we rely on hosts - such as you. I am currently wrapped around part of your spine, located up past your neck into the lower part of your head. It is in no way dangerous for you to have me here. I am connected to your brain, your nervous system, and various other parts of your body...it gives me the ability to talk with you internally, and to control your body, among other things...*

*You control my body? Am I trapped?*

*NO! I can - and already did, release control to you...you talked out loud before - remember? You could not have done that if you had not had control. I merely meant that I can control your body. I am a Tok'ra, so I wish to share control with my host - I am not like the Goa'uld who suppress their hosts...* she sounded indignant.

*OK...I get it. You don't like someone called the Goa'uld, and you don't want to be mistaken for one...and I understood that you need a host - me - to be able to do anything except swim around...which I sort of understand would be boring, since you are obviously sentient. What are you? Are you an...an alien? You called yourself a 'symbiotic life form' - so, what do I get from this symbiosis? Except for a voice in my head which is real, and not due to me being insane - at least I hope I am not insane...*

*You are not. I am really here...though I guess the voices in your head would insist on that as well, if you really were insane...never mind. Just believe me! To answer your questions...the host gains a greatly increased lifespan, health - as long as I am within you, you are immune to almost all kinds of diseases and illnesses. I can heal most wounds that are not too massive, or immediately fatal - quite fast and without leaving even a scar. You also gain some strength and increased stamina, as well as better sight, hearing, and sense of smell, and so on. Aside from that, host and symbiote share everything and usually become very good friends...as for your earlier question...yes, I guess you would say that I am an 'alien' - I was probably born on a different world than this. Which brings me to ask a question - which planet is this?*

*You don't know what planet you are on? This is Earth! My brother is going to love this if he ever learn about you!* she muttered something about her brother believing in all kinds of weird stuff. *By the way - the other things you mentioned sounds cool - so what, I'm invincible now?*

Sheyla laughed. *No, not quite. Just a good deal more resilient...Tanya, I do not recognize the word 'Earth' - can you give me another name for it? A description of its location compared to other celestial objects?*

*Well...* Tanya thought for a moment. *Terra...Tellus...the planet humans come from?*

Sheyla 'shook' her head. *No...I am afraid those names mean nothing to me...and most planets have humans on them.*

Tanya sighed. *There are humans on most worlds? I thought we only evolved here!*

Sheyla suddenly seemed interested. *You evolved here?*

*Yes - at least our biologists say we did. I think modern Homo Sapiens - that is the Latin name for humans - got their current form maybe 150000 years ago...*

*That is long before the Goa'uld met humans!* Sheyla said excitedly. *That means this must be the first world - the Tau'ri!*

*Forgive me for asking, but why are you here, then? If you did not even know where here was?*

*My mother must have hidden me here. She is...or was - I do not now which - the founder and leader of a resistance, fighting against the Goa'uld. I am a queen symbiote - her only daughter - and thus important for my people, the Tok'ra. If the Goa'uld had known about me they would probably have leveled the planet in an effort to kill me. I was only just ready to take a host when my mother realised the only way to hide me was this - in a stasis jar. She did intend to put it on one of her own planets, in a secret cave. But she decided against it and told me she would find a safe place somewhere else. She would tell some of her other children about the place when enough time had passed and it was safe for me to be with them.*

*I see...well, wither she never got around to telling them, or it is not yet safe...at any rate the dig we found your 'stasis jar' in have been dated to 1180-1190...and the year is now 2008. More than 800 years has passed.*

*800 years!* Sheyla was shocked. *You are correct. Something must have prevented Egeria - my mother - from letting her other children know, or those that were told could not reach me, or died before doing so...* she started to panic...what if she was the last Tok'ra? What if the Goa'uld had won? But they were not on this world, so perhaps not...

*Your mum had other kids...could they not...um...decide to rule in your place? You said you were a queen...*

*Not that kind of queen - though among the Goa'uld they are usually queens in the royal sense as well. What it means is that I give birth to new symbiotes, while my siblings are 'ordinary' symbiotes. My people only had one queen, Egeria, and then me, her daughter, as well. I guess there is much to explain. Perhaps I should start from the beginning...* Sheyla launched into a very long explanation of symbiotes, both Tok'ra and Goa'uld, and what she knew had happened in the galaxy before she was placed in stasis.

-
Several hours later.

*All right! I get it...you don't need to repeat that you're a Tok'ra - I understand that as well as most of the other stuff you've told me. Now...can we get up? This dirt floor is hard. My back is killing me, and I am really starting to feel cold. I'll probably die of pneumonia if I stay here much longer.*

*No, you will not...but it is uncomfortable. Do get up - I'm not stopping you. I will not assume control unless you give me permission to do so - I know you would rather not be a host.*

*That's to put it mildly!* Tanya said as she got up. *Though there did seem to be some perks - I wouldn't mind living another 400 years or so...*

*I am sorry you do not like me...* Sheyla sounded unhappy.

*Listen...it's not that I don't like you...I mean...you seem nice enough...it's just...well, you know...I hadn't expected someone to move into my head!*

Tanya was about to leave the tent, when Sheyla told her to go back and pick up the piece that had broken off the top of the jar.

*Why do you want it? The others are going to wonder where it is on Monday.*

*That cannot be helped. See the text? It says who I am. It will make it easier for me to prove my identity when I find my people.*

*OK, OK...how do you intend to do that? Find your people, I mean.*

*I do not know yet. If the Tau'ri chaapa'ai is not buried I might be able to use that - or perhaps I can find a ship someone has left behind.*

*Yes...all those spaceships standing about everywhere, without anyone noticing them...*

Sheyla gave Tanya a friendly thwack over the head. *They are hidden of course, but we will find one of them. However, a logical first step will be to locate the chaapa'ai.*

Having closed and locked everything behind them - but let the jar be as it as, except for the piece they brought with them - they now stood beside Tanya's bicycle.

*What an odd form of transportation - wait! We'll fall...!* Sheyla 'screamed' in Tanya's head as they started down the road.

Tanya wobbled back and forth from the shock Sheyla gave her. *Will you stop doing that - or we really will crash!*

Sheyla 'hid' in the back of Tanya's mind, *sorry...* she whispered.

Tanya sighed. *It is really not dangerous - honestly. I have done it since I was a child. I will teach you some day. I'm sure you will...* she realised what she had said, *...I mean...since it will apparently be a while before I can get rid of you.*

Sheyla did not answer, and Tanya spent the trip home thinking about her life and how it had suddenly changed. When she was almost home she thought of something.

*Sheyla? Can you read my thoughts - my mind?*

The symbiote hesitated for a moment. *Yes...but I would never do so without permission - unless the situation was grave and we were in danger.*

Somewhat reassured, Tanya changed the topic. *I was going to see a movie, but it's too late now. Anyway, I'm starving! What about you?*

*Since we are currently sharing this body, I am very hungry as well.* She smiled. *What would you suggest for dinner?*

*Chinese?*

*You have Chinese food here? You said this is the land of the British?*

*Earth...the Tau'ri is far more globalized now than it was when your mother knew it...so, would you like Chinese food?*

*Yes, certainly. I only have the memory of the food at a dinner my mother attended at Lord Yu's palace.*

Tanya parked her bicycle in front of a local Chinese restaurant. *The prospect of food suddenly makes me feel gracious...why don't you chose the food? You have, after all, been locked up in that jar for 800 years...what do you like?*

*I have never had a host before, so I do not know...I ate what I could catch in the pond I grew up in - or that my mother or older siblings fed us...fish, perhaps? No - wait...I have had enough fish to last me a long time.*

*Poor Sheyla!* Opening the door, Tanya made a decision. *We'll take the buffet - then you get to try different kinds of food.*

-
Later.

Tanya had just finished getting ready for bed and had temporarily given control to Sheyla. She still did not feel comfortable having another person moving her body around, but since this appeared to be a semi-permanent thing, she felt she should try to get used to it. She did not believe they would be able to find Sheyla's people any time soon, and she highly doubted they could find a new host on Earth. She was certainly not going to tell anyone that she had an alien talking in her head. That would only get them put in a rubber cell - or become guinea pigs for the military if anyone actually believed her.

Sheyla was greatly enjoying the feeling of being able to walk around and pick up things. Right now she was standing in front of a mirror, watching herself lift her hands and flex her fingers.

Tanya mentally rolled her eyes, even though deep down she understood her. *So...do you want to go to sleep? Or do you even sleep? I guess you could run around with my body while I slept, if you wanted to.*

*Yes, I need to sleep, just like you. It is correct that one of us could sleep while the other is awake. Usually, though, we sleep at the same time. It is more practical, as the body need to rest as well. Otherwise you might sometimes have one lying awake in bed with closed eyes, while the other sleeps - that is not so smart! It is also more pleasant and companionable to sleep at the same time - and there is not as many disturbances. We can take turns sleeping and being awake for a while. The Tok'ra sometimes do this on missions when it is necessary. But normally host and symbiote sleeps at the same time.*

*Good! Then can we sleep now?*

-
Next day.

*I think we are clean now...Sheyla, we have been in the shower for over an hour...you have washed my hair trice!*

*I am not 'strange' nor do I have any unusual phobias - which is what you were thinking...sorry, but it was so loud in your mind that I could not help but hear it. I was merely enjoying the feeling of doing everything for the first time, and the water is very pleasant. Remember, I have spent almost my whole life until now in a lake - with the exception of the time I spent in the stasis jar, of course.*

*I'm sorry...I understand it will take some time to get used to everything - don't get too comfortable in this body, though - you're still leaving.*

*Of course...though, you should know that the more time passes before I leave, the more...unpleasant it will be for you, psychologically, when I do leave. We have not completed a full blending, and I will do my best to keep our thoughts, feelings, and memories separate, but the longer it is, the more difficult it will be...*

*Don't worry about me. I will be fine...now, if we are finished bathing, perhaps we could get some breakfast?*

*Great idea...I am starving...* Sheyla said, mimicking Tanya's words from the day before. *What are we eating?*

*I usually only eat toast and some yogurt, but many still eat a much more hearty breakfast. I feel hungrier than normal, so maybe we should try that - is it because we are now two?*

*You will of course need more food than before, but not large amounts. I can, however, control your metabolism if necessary...I must admit that I have adjusted it slightly - temporarily, of course. There is so much good food that I really want to try...*

Tanya just sighed and went to the kitchen to make breakfast. Fortunately, her land lady was away, visiting her grand children this week. Tanya did not feel like talking to anyone that knew her today. She was certain they would detect something odd.

-
Later. After the largest and most diverse breakfast Tanya had ever had.

*What would you normally do now? Perhaps we could see some of the city?*

*How can you have any energy left after eating all this food?* Tanya moaned. *I just want to go lie down and sleep! Perhaps in a nice, warm spot in the garden?*

*As I said, I have increased your metabolism, so you will soon feel less full. Yes, I can understand that you want to lie down right now, but I really want to explore this world. If we find the Tok'ra soon and I get another host, then I want to experience some of this very different world first. Except for swimming around in a lake, I have only seen the inside of a stasis jar...that is, I of course did not really see the jar while being in it. It is truly stasis, and I did not experience the passage of time.*

*I get it!* Tanya sighed again. *You want to go and have fun - see something different. I suppose I can't really blame you...OK, let's go for a walk in the park. Then, afterwards, perhaps we can go to the shopping center. I need to get some new clothing for a family party in two weeks. It is my older brother's 30th birthday. I also need to buy a gift for him, so we could do that as well...God! I'm going to go visit my family with you - an alien - in my head...*

*Relax. I will not do anything to make them suspicious...and please do not call me a god. I am not a Goa'uld and I despise being treated like one.*

*I did not mean you! It's just...something humans say...as an expletive...*

*Well, please refrain from using that particular expression!*

Tanya shook her head, but did not reply.

*You were going to go and see a movie yesterday...perhaps we could see it today?*

*It was the last day it was showing...but perhaps we can find something else to watch...oh, we also need to go grocery shopping, because someone ate all my food!*

*Sorry...it was delicious...* Sheyla said in a small voice.

-
They were walking in the city park. It was late summer and very warm. Small squirrels were darting around looking for food, much to Sheyla's delight.

*They are so cute. Do you think we could capture one and pet it?*

*No. They are only semi-tame. We can go to the zoo when we get to London for my brother's birthday party. They have a Children's zoo if you like small furry animals.*

*They have different animals from this world in the...zoo?*

*Yes. From all over the planet.*

*I think I would like that. It is going to be fun - and educational!*

*We will go there then - it has been a long time since I visited.*

*Tanya? It is very warm today. I see in your mind that there is something called 'ice cream', which would be suitable for such a day. I would very much like to try that now, please?*

*Now? You can't be hungry again already!*

*It appears delicious...please? Strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, cherry, rum-and-raisin...please, please, please? I fixed it so that you are not allergic to anything anymore. Your eyesight and hearing are better than perfect. You are stronger, faster, have more stamina...and you will live much longer, if you let me stay...please...do I not deserve just a little ice cream in return?*

*All right, all right! You've made your point. I will buy you some ice cream...but I don't want to gain weight!*

*Don't worry. I will take care of it! Thank you, my dear host!* Sheyla embraced her happily.

They went over to a nearby ice cream sale, and were soon considering which flavours to pick.

*If you have never tried ice cream before, then I suggest you start with something mild, like vanilla.*

*Agreed, but I want two scoops!*

*Tanya mentally rolled her eyes. *OK.* She turned to the salesman.

"Yes? How may I help you, miss?"

"I would like t...four scoops of ice cream."

"You really like ice cream? OK. Four it is. Which ones?"

*You took control without permission! Bad symbiote!*

*You were going to ask for only two scoops...*

*...but you only wanted two!*

*Yes...for me! But you should have two as well - it is only fair.*

*...and you, of course, get to taste and enjoy all four scoops...sneaky!*

*The man is waiting...* "W...I would like...vanilla, strawberry...pistachio, and...rum-and-raisin...and with a little of each the different toppings you have...oh, and extra chocolate sauce."

"See? That wasn't so difficult! You have a sweet tooth, young lady." He smiled at Sheyla, who eagerly stretched out her hand and took the huge serving of ice, then gave him the money for it.

Having been given control, Tanya hurried away before she could be even more embarrassed.

*What is wrong? I even remembered to use your voice instead of my own...and I payed him the right amount...*

*Isn't it the same voice? What if you had done something wrong and he had become suspicious? Besides - I hadn't said which ice cream flavour I wanted - if any...* Tanya grumbled.

*I...saw in your mind how to behave, how to pay...and which ice cream you like...yes, I usually would never look into your thoughts without permission, especially not since our blending was not a voluntary one - and we are also not fully blended yet...however, you were thinking of these things, so it was difficult not to see them...I'm sorry. As for the voice - yes, and no. I can talk like you, or I can talk in a 'flanged' voice. Usually the Tok'ra use it to signify to their surroundings that the symbiote it speaking...as a way to tell who is in control. The Goa'uld mostly use it to intimidate others...they usually glow their eyes for the same reason. We sometimes glow our eyes as well, though generally it is only done in case of strong emotions, or when changing control. Have you noticed that I usually bow my head when we switch - or at least close my eyes, if we are around people?*

*Yes, now you mention it...you will have to show me in front of the mirror when we come back home.* Tanya had reached a bench with a table. It was partially hidden behind a large bush, and in the shadow of a tree. She sat down and was about to take a spoonful from the ice mountain in front of her, then made a decision. *You were the one wanting this ice cream - you eat it.* She gave Sheyla control.

*I can taste it just as well while you eat it, but...thank you. I appreciate it. There is an extra pleasure in being able to chose what to eat and when.* She smiled, then shoveled pistachio ice cream into her mouth. *Yumm - it is very good.* She proceeded to taste the other flavours, then relatively quickly ate all of it, alternating between the various kinds.

Finally, she managed to swallow the last bit of ice cream. She sighed happily and leaned back against the tree behind her, closing her eyes. She was feeling very much too full to move.

*I am amazed that you...I...we succeeded in eating all that! Sheyla...it's not as if I really want to move, but could we roll out into the Sun? All that ice cream we have in our stomach makes me feel cold.*

*I will raise our temperature and metabolism...* she did, and they soon fell asleep.

-
A couple of hours later.

Tanya/Sheyla had just awoken after their little nap. Feeling much better, they walked through the park to the nearest bus stop and rode to the shopping center.

*Wow...this is sort of like a market place, or maybe more like a bazaar. How many shops are there?*

*No idea...I would guess 30 or 40...I need to go and buy something to wear for my brother's 30th birthday party...and I need to find a gift for him as well. Other than that, we can just walk around and look at everything, if you would like to do that?*

*I would enjoy that. Thank you.*

They spent most of the afternoon slowly strolling around in the shopping center. Sheyla was interested in everything and wanted to learn as much as possible about Earth.

*We still need to find a gift for Patrick - my brother.*

*Perhaps we could look in there? It looks like they have many interesting things.* Sheyla pointed to a shop selling various gag gifts, costumes, and party materials.

*I don't think he would like any of that...*

*Is that a dead Asgard?* Sheyla took control and walked over to examine a rather large alien-doll. *You know, they will be really mad at your people, and you do not wish that...ah...it is a fake...and not a good imitation when seen up close. I did not think your people had met them?*

*The Asgard? You're kidding, right? That is from Norse Mythology...whereas that thing you're looking at is a 'Roswell alien'...they supposedly abduct people to perform various experiments on them - or so my dear brother tells me. I have never believed it...and now you tell me they are real?*

*Of course they are real! They do not look exactly like this...doll...but close. They assumed the roles of the gods of Norse Mythology, to be able to interact with humans on their 'protected planets' without revealing their true nature. They fight the Goa'uld, and they are an advanced and powerful race. We know them and trust them, but they normally interfere minimally in the matters of our Galaxy. They come from the Ida-galaxy. I highly doubt they would abduct humans and experiment on them - at least I do not think something like that would be officially sanctioned...*

*Great! Just great! My brother will never let me hear the end of this. Any other meddling alien races I should know about?*

Sheyla thought for a moment. *No...I do not think so...though the Tok'ra have little information about the Tau'ri...or we had little information about you 800 years ago. I know nothing about the current state of galactic politics.*

*Fair enough, I guess...* Deciding to concentrate on something else instead of this one more change to her universe, she focused on her brother's birthday gift. *We still need to find a present for Patrick - I don't think the Roswell ali...Asgard doll would be a good idea, though he might just love it.*

*Then why is it not a good gift?*

*Because it is not something I would buy - I am the rational one, the one who does not believe in aliens and other supernatural things...*

*If by aliens you mean extra-terrestrial or non-human sentient life forms, then it is rational to believe in them. They...I am real!*

*Yes...listen, I don't want to talk about it anymore. He's not getting that doll!*

They walked for a little while, finally deciding to buy a nice shirt and a book for her brother.

*Sheyla? That alien doll made me thinking about something...how do you look? I did not get to see you well when you jumped into me. I really only saw a flash of movement. You don't look like the...the Asgard, do you?*

*Do you really think I would fit in your head and neck if I did?* she giggled a little. *No. I am...long and slim...with fins near the head...* she showed Tanya an image of a symbiote.

*You look a little bit like an eel? Serpentine shape...impressive teeth! I think I'm a bit scared of you now...*

*Please don't be! I use the 4 large teeth for when I enter a host...and I also need to be able to defend myself against fish and such - and capture fish and other food - before I take a host.*

*I understand that. Your appearance was just a surprise to me, that is all...now I think about it, you are actually quite beautiful.*

*Thank you. Tanya? The store over there is selling chocolate - I assume it is like the chocolate sauce we had on the ice cream?*

*In a way, though not quite. It has a somewhat similar taste, but it is not a liquid.*

*Could we maybe buy just a little bit?*

Tanya sighed. *Yes, why not? Any diet I may have wanted to follow has long since been destroyed...but remember, I'm holding you to your promise that I won't gain weight!*

-
Later, after consuming a medium-sized box of gourmet-chocolate.

*Well, I guess we still need to go grocery shopping - though it's not as if I feel like eating anything for the next month!*

*You will regret it tomorrow if we do not, Tanya. It will take far less than a month before we have metabolised the food we just consumed.*

*I know. It is...a figure of speech...something we say to put emphasis on our statement. We do that in many situations. In this case I just wanted to make clear that I was feeling so full that I can barely stand the thought of food.*

*I see...in time I will learn your colloquialisms.*

*Don't worry about it. I'm sure you will - and quickly.*

They had reached the supermarket and went inside.

*This is very different from what I had expected - but so has almost everything I have seen been. I fear that much of my genetic memory will not be of much use.*

*I am sure much of what you know will be very useful on other planets. As for here - you will learn quickly and make your own memories - isn't that nicer anyway?* she hugged her symbiote, *...and I am here to help you...I don't mind you checking my memories if you need some important information - or you can just ask.*

*Thanks you. Does that mean you will agree to complete the blending and let me stay?* She sounded hopeful.

*Don't push it! You have not been given permanent residency - yet, at least...I can't believe this. I am actually starting to consider letting you stay...I must be going insane!* Tanya grabbed a shopping cart and started looking for the items on her list.

For a little while Sheyla said nothing, then she started pointing out things she thought sounded interesting, or strange, or that she wanted to try. This made the grocery trip much longer than usual.

*Tanya?*

*Yes, what now? You have already made me fill this cart almost to the top - I have no idea how we are going to get all this food home on the bus. We will probably have to call for a cab.*

*I'm sorry...* Sheyla sounded shameful. *There is just so much I would like to try.*

*I get that...but does it have to be all at the same time? OK...what was it you saw this time?*

*What is 'hot dogs'? Is it food made from dogs meat? I thought you said dogs were kept as pets?*

*We do...people in this country generally do not eat dog meat, though it is done in some countries. A 'hot dog' is just the name used for a sausage in a bun - with various toppings. I believe the name stems from 'dog' having been used as slang for sausage - originally in the United States, because a long time ago makers of them were accused of using dog meat. In reality they are usually made of pork, beef, or chicken meet.*

*I see...your language often does not make sense.*

*I know. It confuses us as well from time to time.*