Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Birds of a Feather

by Karrenia
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Also written and posted for crossovers100 challenge, prompt #48 diamond
Title: Multiple Birds with One Stone
Author: karrenia
Fandoms: Stargate SG-1/Highlander
Characters: Amanda, Vala Mal Doran, ensemble cast of SG-1
Rating: General Audiences
Notes: Follows up where the previous story :Birds of Prey" left off.
Prompt: #48 diamond

25/100



"Multiple Birds with One Stone" by Karen

Accepting Vala Mal Doran onto the team was one thing," Liutenant Cameron Mitchell thought and most of that had been done out of both necessity for Dr. Jackson's sake and out of the value of the information and resources that she possessed and offered in trade at the time.


Granted she was trouble, but at the same time also seemed to possess an almost uncanny ability to get out the various scraps and still come out smelling like roses.

In the back of his mind, Cameron really had to wonder how she managed to do that for his uniform no matter how many times he washed, rinsed, and scrubbed, still retained the indelible aroma of dust from the last planet the team had visited, while Vala smelt of whatever shampoo that she showered with.

Eventually he decided it really might be a woman thing which begged the question, one which General Landry and the others seemed inordinately unwilling to press any farther than they already had, what to do with Vala newest gal pal, Amanda Devarieux.

While she had admitted to having been approached by the former NID agent Colonel Maybourne to infiltrate and steal government property out of the Chyenne Moutain base Amanda had also admitted to turning the offer down as well as not taking the money to complete the job.

This alone gave her some positive points in his book; yet she had still broken into the top-secret facility, and she knew Vala. Hell, they took to each other, seconds after the intiial confrontation, like two bees in a honeycomb. That worried him, more than it probably should, and now they were at this very moment, in Vala's quarters, with their heads together, laughing, giggling and catching up on old times as if there was no question of Amanda's ulterior motives.

***
Mitchell paused in front of the door to Vala's quarters with his fist poised in midair hesitating in the last few seconds before he sighed and knocked.

The door chime pinged and Vala laughed and asked him to come in.

Amanda looked up from where she sat straddle-legged in the chair in front of the
terminal of Vala's base computer a smile curving the lips of her mouth. To Mitchell's way of thinking he could have sworn that it was the kind of smile that would not have been out of place on the proverbial cat that ate the canary. It was as if she could read his min; and knew each and every thought that had been going through his mind only moments before; the worst part of it was, she didn't seem to mind.

"Ladies," Cameron Mitchell began, "I came to tell you, General Landry wants everyone to report to the ward room in ten minutes, that includes Amanda."

"We'll be there." Vala nodded and reached up to smooth back her plait of long hair.

"I still don't understand one thing," Mitchell began before trailing off and reaching up to rub at his scalp as if it itched. He wore his hair short and cut military-style since that way it fit better underneath a flight helmet, but the thought still would not go away. "if you really are Immortal, and I'm still not certain I believe that one. Then how the hell did you two meet?"

"I've been to Earth before, Mr. Mitchell," Vala replied, "I"m certain you remember the circumstances of our previous meeting."

"Yeah, but that still doesn't answer my question."

"You two have met before," Amanda added with one arched dark eyebrow. "Interesting, very interesting."

"Not now, Amanda," Vala added.

Mitchell sighed and squared his shoulders. "You know what, it just gives me a headache and suddenly I don't want to know. I'll see you two at the briefing." With that he turned on his heels and went out the way he had come in. Sometimes not knowing was the better part of valor, and whoever had come up with that old saying that ignorance was bliss was a very wise man indeed.

**
Once everyone had gathered in the ward room, including Dr. Carloyn Lamb and the rest of the SG-1 team General Landry launched into his briefing.

"As as I'm certain you are all aware," Landry began, "Circumstances have introduced a random element into our team structure," he continued as he managed to avoid making eye contact with Amanda who returned the favor. "And while it still remains unclear exactly what her purpose is, we will continue to allow her to remain 'a guest' pending any further subversive actions."

"Let's clarify that right now," Amanda said. "I'm not a terrorist and I'm not your enemy, and I've admitted to being a thief; a very, very good thief. Otherwise we wouldn't be here right now so you can all stop worrying." She sniffed, and to think you're hanging out with these clods, Vala."

Vala exchanged significant glance with Doctor Daniel Jackson and then turned back to face her.

"I didn't have much of a choice, besides it did give me an excellent opportunity to travel the galaxy, meet new and interesting people, all on someone else's dime."

"Well, I don't know about anyone else," Amanda chimed in, "But I'm convinced."

"I'm not," replied General Landry this time making a point of holding onto her level gaze with one of his own.