Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In A Moment

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Daniel spun, preparing to defend himself as he heard someone head towards the open door to his quarters; he sheathed his dagger when he realised who stood there.

“What did you do this time?” Daniel asked the man standing in the doorway, hand pressed tightly against his arm.

“Barbas stabbed me,” Hedron told Daniel.

Daniel reached up to the shelf he kept his emergency first aid kit on so he could fix Hedron’s latest wound, he felt his small jewelled dagger rubbing against his hip. He’d traded the gold wedding band he wore for the blade a few days after he arrived on the ship. It was strange, he felt more sentimental about the dagger than the wedding ring that symbolised his suffocating marriage to Sarah. It was also one of the reasons he was safe-ish on the ship.

“What happened to him?”

Hedron laughed harshly, “He’s floating.”

Daniel managed to repress the shudder as he pulled out some bandages and alcohol to clean the wound.

He’d changed over the past three years, especially his appearance. His hair was short, shorter than he’d ever had it in his life, shorn by Tilli before they had reached the ship that first day. He wore similar leather pants to Hedron and a black t-shirt that stretched across the muscles he’d acquired. The moment he’d realised that he was on what could only be described as a pirate ship, Daniel started to work on staying alive. Once Haryis had recovered from his injury, Daniel had managed to persuade the son of the Captain to train him. Daniel was now able to take care of himself, not having to rely too much on Hedron, Haryis and Tilli for protection, all of who had long ago stopped thinking of him as a slave. Daniel had also managed to garner a great deal of respect for himself amongst the rest of the crew, both with being the only medic they’d ever had that wouldn’t actually kill them straight away, as well as having the skills to be able to translate warnings and signs for treasure.

“There you go,” Daniel finished bandaging the Captain’s arm, “Try not to get stabbed again any time soon.”

Hedron laughed, “Daniel, you need to relax more. Many of the women on board would be more than happy to spend some time relaxing you, Dreena is more than interested.”

“I don’t need a broken leg,” Daniel replied with a harsh laugh, “And Dreena especially is known for it.”

Hedron slapped Daniel on his shoulder, “Dreena likes you, Daniel. I doubt she’d do you any permanent damage.”

“Where are we headed?” Daniel asked, changing the subject quickly; he mostly managed to avoid the female members of the crew who he found all seemed to get some sort of kick out of trying to get him alone. Thankfully Tilli, the most senior member of the women was fond of Daniel, treating him like a younger brother, making sure none of them got too spirited with him.

“Yardas sector,” Hedron told him, “There is a settlement that we get some food and other items from.”

Daniel decided not to ask about what the other items would be. He knew that it was very likely there would be slaves taken from the settlement. Although he hated it, Daniel knew the only way he could survive was to not make too many waves. That didn’t mean he didn’t try to help others when he could but he knew he had to be careful.



Later the next day as Hedron sat in the Command seat, watching over the crew, Daniel slipped onto the bridge.

“Daniel,” Hedron boomed, motioning the younger man over, “Are you joining us on our next little trip?”

Daniel pretended to mull it over, “It might not be a good idea if your only medic was hit by stray fire. I’ll stay here and get ready for any patients.”

Hedron nodded, “Hopefully, you will only have slaves to deal with.”

Daniel managed to force out a laugh, “Don’t beat them up too much, my supplies can’t take it.”

Hedron laughed again, “Always so amusing, Daniel. Make a list of what you need.”

“You can’t get it from a place like that,” Daniel told him, “They don’t have the medical technology.”

“Don’t worry,” Hedron laughed at him, “There are always other options.”

“Captain,” Tilli arrived on the bridge, her long red hair plaited down her back as usual. Her tight trousers and top designed to make the men on board look at her, while the daggers on display designed to let them know what would happen if they tried to do more than look without her permission, “We picked up an energy signal,” her voice dropped so no one outside the three of them heard, “It looks like an Abydonian ship.”

“A what?” Daniel asked.

“The Abydonian Federation,” Hedron told Daniel, “They control a large part of the Galaxy. We’re on the outskirts of their space.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?” Daniel asked.

Hedron laughed and slapped Daniel’s shoulder before heading back to his chair. Tilli slid her arm around Daniel’s waist leaning into his ear, “I can teach you more about them if you want,” she murmured, pinching his butt, making him jump away from her, “But later, Doc.”

Daniel smiled half-heartedly as she left him to retake her position, “I’ll make that list,” he told Hedron, leaving the bridge.

Once Daniel reached the solitude of the small infirmary he sat down and sighed, he hated what his life had become. He was constantly afraid that one day his luck would run out and he’d be killed by one of the crew who decided to try to take over the ship by killing those loyal to Hedron and Tilli.

Despite the danger he was constantly in, Daniel wished his father could see what he had; knowing Mel Jackson would be amazed by some of the places Daniel had visited. Daniel fingered the small dagger that sat at his hip. He wondered what Sarah would think of him now, a medic to pirates and practically one himself; he then wondered what his father would think of him. Pushing the thought out of his mind, he started going through his supplies and making his list, wondering what was going to happen next.

*********************************************

Sha’re paced, waiting to be told what her latest assignment was going to be. As she turned she came face-to-face, well face to chest with Teal’c, the Jaffa liaison that served with her.

“This is a futile activity,” he reminded her.

Sha’re rolled her eyes, stepping around him to continue her pacing.

“You are not making time pass any faster by this,” Teal’c told her, “The council shall reach their decision when they reach it. We shall then take the ship and go there. Until then, Sha’re, you are irritating me. So stop pacing.”

The young woman frowned at him but before she could say a word, the door slid open and they were motioned into the council chambers.

As Commander, Sha’re took the lead feeling the looming presence of her family’s old friend directly behind her. She smiled at her father, who sat in his appointed place as leader of the Abydonian Federation.

“Commander,” Iriste, the speaker of the council, stood up, “You are being sent to the Yardas sector, there have been several pirate attacks along our borders. We need a presence there; the Flamia is the best ship we have. Master Teal’c has agreed to be the Jaffa representative on board.”

Sha’re managed not to smile smugly at being given the mission, with a glance at Teal’c who nodded back at her Sha’re headed to her ship.



“It’s a pirate ship, Commander,” Teal’c reported when Sha’re arrived on the bridge, as always she was the model officer. Her uniform perfect, not a hair out of place and her focus entirely on her mission.

“Have they spotted us?” Sha’re asked, her voice steady and commanding as she had been taught by her father and Teal’c.

“They show no signs of it,” Teal’c told her, “Shall I prepare the shuttle?”

Sha’re nodded, “I’ll take the team. I want you to stay here in case they decide to fire upon the ship. You are the best pilot.”

He frowned at her.

“Teal’c, I need you to stay with the ship,” she told him softly, so no one else could hear.

After a moment he nodded, “Very well but you must be careful.”

A mischievous smile appeared on her lips, “I am always careful, Teal’c,” she replied before heading to ready her shuttle.



Sha’re Densai had been raised to command an Abydonian Star Vessel. Everything she had done in her formal education as well as informal had prepared her to take command, following in both her parents’ footsteps. She was smart and had been focussed in her goal from when she was a child, determined to follow her dream and she had. The Flamia was the first in the newest model of Star Vessels and Sha’re had been overjoyed to be given command of it. Her father Kasuf, who had been recently elected to lead their people, asked Teal’c, a friend of their family since Kasuf’s father had commanded a Star Vessel, to be her second-in-command. Like many Jaffa, he worked in an advisory capacity with the Abydonians and Teal’c happily took the position.

Sha’re watched her people as they readied the shuttle to land in the village of Khri’aa, they were unsure whether the settlement had already endured a pirate attack so they made sure they had plenty of supplies.

Fixing her jacket and weapons, Sha’re entered the shuttle taking the pilot’s seat, she very rarely got to fly but it was something she loved to do.

You have clearance,” Teal’c told her as she finished her pre-launch checks, “Be careful, Commander.”

“Thank you,” Sha’re replied, “Keep that ship in your sights.”

Without another word, Sha’re piloted the shuttle out of the Flamia into the black expanse before her.

***********************************************

“Captain,” Daniel spoke softly when he reached Hedron’s side, “Here’s the list.”

Hedron took it from him absently, “Tilli, any movement?”

“The Star Vessel just launched a shuttle,” Tilli reported, “They’re heading for the settlement.”

“Are you going to abort?” Daniel asked, keeping his voice soft so that none of the others on the bridge heard him,

Hedron laughed, “Daniel, you have no sense of adventure. No, there are your medical supplies and our newest shuttle.”

“You’re kidding?” Daniel breathed, “I thought these guys ran a good part of the galaxy.”

“But not my part,” Hedron snarled, reminding Daniel why he stayed on this man’s good side, “I suggest you get ready for your new supplies, Daniel.”

“Of course, Captain,” Daniel nodded his assent, heading off the bridge.

Tilli caught his arm as he passed her, “Once I return, Doc, I might come by and deliver your new supplies.”

Daniel rolled his eyes, Tilli was the first one to call him Doc in fact only Hedron called him by his name, “Just don’t come by injured,” he grinned at her.

Tilli laughed and swatted his butt as he left the bridge.



Daniel could hear the joyful cries of their victory as the crew passed by the infirmary. It seemed none of them were injured which he was grateful for, he was sure one of these days he’d get a patient he wouldn’t be able to help.

“Doc,” Tilli arrived after a few minutes, she stood in the doorway smiling, “We brought supplies and you’ve got a patient.”

Daniel watched as two of the men dragged in a half-conscious woman, dumping her on the bed.

“What happened?” Daniel asked, seeing an impressive cut on her forehead with bruises starting to form on her jaw and temple.

“She didn’t want to come,” Tilli replied glibly, “We have their ship, plenty of supplies including your medical ones and a dozen new slaves to sell.”

Daniel felt the pit of his stomach churn, “Good day then?”

Tilli smiled slowly, wrapping an arm around his neck, “Doc, you should learn to enjoy being one of us. She could be your prize,” feeling him stiffen below her arm, she laughed, “You need to loosen up, Doc. I’m only suggesting that a seduction would do you good.”

Daniel slipped out from under her arm, “I should get to work.”

Tilli laughed again, “Of course, Doc. Just remember what I said, you’ve been here three years and the girls are waiting impatiently for you to come out of hiding.”

“I’m married, Tilli,” he reminded her as he always did when she mentioned this.

She rolled her eyes, “Three years, Doc, and I believe this,” she held up the gold ring he’d traded that she kept on her chain, “Is the band symbolising that. You’re here for good, Doc. I’m sure she’s moved on.”

Daniel stood staring after Tilli for a few moments knowing she was right; Sarah would more than likely think him dead and be getting on with her life. Shaking his head sadly, Daniel turned to his patient.


His patient was lying on her side so Daniel gently turned her to lie on her back staring at her, despite her injuries she was beautiful and for a second Daniel felt like he knew her.

“Don’t be so stupid,” he muttered to himself.

As he gently cleaned the cut on her forehead, Daniel found himself admiring her, wondering how he could help. Daniel turned to get the equivalent of a band aid feeling a hand touch his hip; he spun to find his patient holding his dagger, crouched ready to attack.

“Put it down,” Daniel told her, “They’ll kill you.”

“And you shall let me survive?” the woman sneered at him.

“I can help you,” Daniel said, licking his lips nervously, “But you have to put it down.”

She snorted with disdain lunging at him; Daniel dodged her thrust, grabbing her wrist, trying to twist the knife from her fingers. She brought her knee up, slamming it into his groin and Daniel grunted in pain but didn’t let her go. Instead he fell forward onto her, his weight pushing her onto the bed. She struggled below him as Daniel managed to get himself steadied, resting his knees at either side of her hips trapping her legs with his.

Daniel grabbed her other hand as she moved to scratch his face, forcing her arms above her head. Keeping them there with one hand, he relieved her of his dagger, placing it on the cabinet beside the bed. The woman continued to struggle against him and Daniel grabbed a wrist in each of his hands, holding her firmly to the bed.

“Listen to me,” he snapped, “I want to help you but I can’t if you try to kill me.”

“I can take care of myself,” she spat at him, “I do not need your help.”

“Fine,” he shrugged, “Then by the end of the week you’ll be a slave but not before one or several of the crew has raped you.”

She stopped struggling, staring at him confused but before Daniel could say anything else someone coughed making him turn to the door.

“I appear to be interrupting,” Hedron grinned at Daniel, who felt heat rise on his neck, “Daniel, once you’ve…finished, I want you in the hanger bay. You need to go over your new inventory.”

Daniel opened his mouth but Hedron stopped him.

“Take your time, Daniel,” Hedron smiled at him, “Just make sure you lock her in, I wouldn’t want anyone else to steal your prize before you’ve had your fill.”

Daniel closed his eyes as Hedron left the infirmary, “Lock,” Daniel called before he turned back to the woman below him, “I’m going to get off you but only if you promise not to attack me again.”

She nodded; Daniel rolled off her, picking up his dagger and sliding it back into the sheath.

“Alright,” Daniel said, “What’s your name by the way?”

“Sha’re,” she relented with a sigh of annoyance.

Daniel smiled slightly, “I’m Daniel Jackson. Look, Sha’re, I would love to tell you I have some way to get you out of here but I don’t. I have to go and sort through the new supplies.”

“Supplies stolen from my people,” Sha’re snapped.

“I can’t help that,” he replied softly, “I am going to take you to my room. I’ll leave you there where you’ll be safe.”

“Safe?” she asked amused, “Here?”

“I have it programmed so that only I can open it,” Daniel told her, “Come on.”

When she didn’t move he frowned at her, “Move or I will move you. We’ve already discovered I’m stronger and if I call for someone, they will help me.”

Sha’re moved to the door, her hand becoming a fist as Daniel gripped her arm opening the door walking her through the corridors. He saw several of the men giving him looks of amazement while several of the women looked annoyed.



Sha’re sat on the bed in the small room, after the man had left her alone, confused. She knew what would happen if captured by pirates and this wasn't it. She needed to escape and get back to Abydos so she could get her ship along with some others to rescue the rest of her people but first she had to get out of this room.

Frustration filled her as she tried to open the door, amazed that the man had managed to lock her in so effectively. Computers were something she was good at but this was impossible to decrypt, frustration filled her as she tried everything she knew but nothing worked. She didn’t understand why this man was saying he was going to help her.

“To make you feel secure before he does whatever he is planning on,” she said to herself.

With a groan as the computer once again refused to give her access, Sha’re settled down determined to gain control of the computer before he returned.

*********************************************

“You may have picked the wrong woman to enjoy,” Hedron said as he joined Daniel in the newly acquired shuttle, “She was the one in charge and from the fight she put up…”

Daniel ignored him as he made notes on his new supplies.

“Your refusal to become involved with any of the women has disappointed many,” Hedron continued, enjoying teasing the younger man, “I see now you just have particular tastes.”

“She grabbed my dagger,” Daniel told him, “That was why…”

“I need no details,” Hedron cut him off, “Just remember to put her with the rest once you’ve finished with her.”

Daniel grimaced slightly before a smile touched his lips as he remembered something Hedron told him a few months before, “What if I want to keep her to help me?”

“Keep her?” Hedron looked at the young man confused, “We’re going to sell her.”

“From what I’ve seen over the past few years,” Daniel said as he continued his work, “She won’t fetch a good price because of her temper.”

“And you think you can handle it?” Hedron’s amusement leaked through his words.

Daniel shrugged, “I like a challenge.”

Hedron mused on this before nodding, “You have yourself a slave, Daniel. I will ensure everyone knows she belongs to you until you tire of trying to break her.”

Daniel nodded his thanks.

“Remind me to get a slave collar for her,” Hedron told him.

Daniel shrugged, “No need. I’ve still got my old one.”

Hedron laughed, slapping Daniel on the shoulder. They’d made him wear the collar under his clothes so that, even though the crew didn’t know he was a slave, Daniel was always reminded of it; until his third week on the ship when Daniel used his new knowledge of the technology to release himself. Thankfully, Hedron had been amused by this and hadn’t punished Daniel, as well as never making him wear the collar again.

Before Daniel could say anything else, he was called to the infirmary.



Daniel stopped outside his quarters and took a deep breath, getting ready just in case. Thankfully when he opened the door, Sha’re didn’t try to escape instead she was sitting against the wall staring at him.

“I see you gave up with the computer,” Daniel sighed as stretched his tired body, tossing the command to the door over his shoulder, “Lock.”

“You have it well encrypted,” she stated, watching him warily as he pulled off his jacket and boots.

Daniel shrugged, dropping to sit on his bed grabbing the computer padd so he could study the medical files from the shuttle, “Yeah, I used my own language and several pop culture references no one here could ever understand.”

She continued to watch him, “What are you doing?”

“I’m studying,” he replied, “If you’re hungry there are some sandwiches in the cool box next to you.”

Confused, Sha’re gently opened the small cupboard and found the sandwiches, along with several small bars surrounded by shiny wrapping. Picking one up, she jumped as Daniel snatched it from her.

“That’s all the chocolate I have left,” he snapped, “Don’t touch it.”

Sha’re laughed at him standing up crossing her arms, “Do whatever you’re going to do.”

“I have to study,” he told her, “That’s all I’m going to do.”

She shook her head, “Then let me go.”

Daniel sighed dropping the padd, “The Captain has given you to me as a slave, I’m not going to hurt you but if you do anything that makes him remove you from my protection…do you follow where I’m going with this?”

“What are you doing?” she snapped, standing her arms crossed.

He stood up looking down at her as he yelled, “I’m trying to help you. And I’m taking a huge risk doing so,” Daniel forced himself to lower his voice, “I have managed to survive here for three years because I am careful. I don’t want anything other than to protect you, which is why I asked for you as my slave.”

“What do you expect of me?” Sha’re demanded.

“At the moment,” Daniel snapped, “I expect you to be quiet.”

He sat back down on his bed and rested against the wall, starting to read ignoring her.



Daniel checked his watch and realised he needed to get some sleep. He turned to find Sha’re still working to decrypt his computer system, he hadn’t bothered trying to stop her since he knew it was impossible, considering some of his passwords included things from the Simpsons and his mother’s favourite song.

“Look,” he interrupted her, “I need to get some sleep. Can you leave that till tomorrow?”

Sha’re glanced up at him, her dark brown eyes sharp as she looked around trying to find where she was meant to sleep. Daniel handed her a blanket and a pillow.

“Sleep on the floor,” Daniel told her, “Or use the other side of the bed. I really don’t care. I need to sleep.”

Sha’re frowned glancing around the room.

“And don’t try anything while I’m asleep,” he told her, “I’m a very light sleeper and my dagger stays where it is.”

Frowning Sha’re rolled the blanket around her in a tight cocoon, resting on the other side of the bed. Daniel ordered the lights off and managed to get some sleep.



“No.”

Daniel groaned, wondering why he’d even bothered trying to help this woman when she seemed determined to make his life miserable.

“You have to wear the collar,” he told her, “Otherwise Hedron will remove you from my protection and you’ll end up with the others. Look, this used to be mine and it’s modified.”

“Modified?” Sha’re asked sharply.

“If you’re supposed to be punished all you’ll feel is a slight shock,” Daniel explained, “So, I hope you can act.”

“What do you expect me to do all day?” Sha’re demanded.

“I have to sort through supplies,” he told her, “You can help me do that. We also have to work out some way to get you off the ship and back where you belong.”

“Why do you care?” Sha’re asked, a little surprised.

“I keep asking myself that,” he told her sharply before he sighed, “The one place I want to be is home. And I have no way to get there so I’m going to try and get you back to yours.”

*********************************************

“Put the bandages over there,” Daniel told her as she helped him clean up the infirmary.

Sha’re had been on the ship almost a month now and spent it either in the infirmary or Daniel’s small quarters. He didn’t touch her other than to grab something off her while he was working and ignored her most nights while he studied furiously. It was here she realised he wasn't actually a trained healer; he was making do with what he was learning from the files from the ship.

“Damn,” she heard from behind her, making her turn to where Daniel was frowning.

“Is something wrong?” she asked blandly.

“I’ll be back in two minutes,” he told her, “Stay here.”

Sha’re nodded, she wasn’t stupid enough to try and wander around the ship without a weapon of some kind, plus she found she didn’t want to place Daniel in any kind of danger. He took off from the infirmary at a run, leaving her alone.

Sha’re continued putting away supplies. She hadn’t asked where they were from, not wanting to know who was losing out on them. As she turned to put away the new supply of drugs, she found herself staring at the chest of Nerobas. Trying to move, Sha’re was grabbed around her throat and thrown back against the wall.

“Just stay quiet and I won’t hurt you,” he told her as his free hand moved down to her pants.

Sha’re struggled against him so Nerobas hit her head against the wall. The world swam and she could feel his hand starting to undo her clothing. Suddenly he stopped, Sha’re felt his hand loosen.

“What I’m holding to your neck,” Daniel’s voice came quiet but filled with malevolence, “Will paralyse you, making you appear dead long enough for me to cut you open then send your body into space. Let her go and if you dare come near my slave again, pray you don’t get injured.”

Sha’re was released and slid down the wall her head aching, her body shaking. She felt Daniel gently help her up and placed her on the bed as he commanded the door to lock.

“I’m sorry,” Daniel whispered, as he gently checked her head before giving her some painkillers, “I should have locked you in; I shouldn’t have given him the opportunity…”

“You stopped him,” Sha’re breathed as her eyes closed.

“Sha’re,” Daniel snapped, “Stay awake, you have a concussion and I need you to stay awake for me until I’m finished.”

She sighed, waiting as Daniel worked, relieved when he finally allowed her to go to sleep.



“What’s going on?” Hedron snapped, banging on the infirmary door, “Why is this locked?”

“Nerobas attacked Sha’re,” Daniel answered as he let the Captain in, “I thought you told them not to come near her?”

“Is he still alive?” Hedron ignored Daniel’s demand.

“For the moment,” Daniel replied as he finally allowed Sha’re to get some rest.

Hedron nodded towards the young woman on the bed, “Is she alright?”

“Yes,” Daniel replied.

“Then there’s no problem,” Hedron shrugged, “What did you say to Nerobas?”

“He better hope he’s never my patient,” Daniel gritted his teeth, “I need her in one piece.”

Hedron rolled his eyes, “Daniel, she’s fine and since I see Nerobas isn’t here then you dealt with him. I don’t want to hear any more about this.”

“I’m locking the infirmary for the rest of the day;” Daniel said softly, “Anyone who needs me just has to call.”

*********************************************

Daniel grabbed the bandages from Sha’re as he worked furiously. Tilli and Hedron were both standing in the doorway, keeping out of the way. Maladon lay on the bed, a knife wound in his heart, received on the last raid.

“Come on,” Daniel snapped, desperately trying to get Maladon’s heartbeat back, “Come on.”

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re spoke softly, “It is over.”

“No,” Daniel cried; he grabbed the ship’s version of a defibrillator and moved to try once more, only to be grabbed by Hedron.

“Daniel,” the Captain snapped forcefully, “He’s dead.”

“No,” Daniel shook his head, struggling against the other man before sagging back against Hedron, “No,” he breathed sadly.

Tilli knelt down beside them, “Doc, it’s not your fault.”

Hedron and Tilli pulled him to his feet moving him out of the infirmary; Hedron looked back his eyes locking with Sha’re’s as she covered the body before she cleaned up.

After placing Daniel in his room, Hedron returned to find Sha’re continuing to clean the room.

“Watch him tonight,” Hedron ordered her.

Sha’re said nothing, she knew better these days. Instead she nodded, waiting until Hedron had left once more. One she finished putting the infirmary in order Sha’re headed to Daniel’s quarters. Daniel’s threat to Nerobas had circulated around the crew and no one dared come near her.

“Open,” she ordered the door; stepping in she frowned to find Daniel curled up on the bed; he was shivering, his blue eyes blank.

Sha’re turned and locked the door, moving over to him. She placed a blanket over him, making sure he was wrapped in it completely before resting her hand on his head.

“This wasn't your fault,” Sha’re told him.

“I can’t stay here,” Daniel whispered as he continued to shake, “I can’t do this anymore.”

Sha’re continued to stroke his forehead before she lay beside him, wrapping her arms around him, “Go to sleep, Dan’iel. Get some rest and you will feel better in the morning.”

Not sure why, she gently kissed his forehead; Sha’re felt him rest against her and fall asleep.