Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In A Moment

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Colonel Jack O’Neill smiled as he saw his wife sitting on the bench in the back garden, flicking through some papers. He sat beside her and kissed her soundly, happy to be home.

“Look what I got home today,” Sara told him, showing him the picture of their son.

Jack grinned looking at the child he loved so much, he couldn’t imagine his life without him before he turned to the woman who had given him the light and wondered how he’d lived before meeting her.

As he gently kissed her again, a loud bang made them both turn in horror.

“Charlie?” Sara yelled.

“Yeah,” the boy replied, appearing from round the side of the house.

Jack sighed in relief; he’d thought as had Sara that they’d heard a gunshot, “What the hell was that?”

“Oh, that was my fault,” an elder man said as he joined them, “My old car backfired.”

Jack walked over and appraised the man, he seemed harmless enough. In his eyes was intelligence yet sadness.

“Mel Jackson,” the man introduced himself, “I’ve moved in next door and Charlie was talking to me then as I tried to move the car…” he gave an apologetic shrug.

Jack laughed, “Jack O’Neill. Welcome to the neighbourhood.”



Mel paced the house, trying to fix things so he could have at least one neat room; his neighbours had been extremely helpful in getting him settled in. He’d moved here to take up a job offered by an old friend. To be honest, he would rather be out amongst the sand digging, discovering but without Claire by his side and without Daniel, he didn’t have any enthusiasm for it, he hadn’t in a long time.

“Come in,” he called when someone knocked on the back door.

“Hey,” Jack grinned, putting down the bowl he carried on the work surface, “Sara made you some dinner.”

“That was very thoughtful of her,” Mel smiled.

Jack shrugged, “Wait till you’ve tasted it, and then give your opinion.”

Mel laughed, “Do you want something to drink?”

“Nah, I’ve got to get back,” Jack refused, “But maybe later,” as he turned to go, a picture sitting on the counter caught his eye.

“My wife and son,” Mel explained, seeing the look of interest in Jack’s eyes, “Claire died a long time ago, Danny and I don’t talk much these days.”

“Must be hard,” Jack sympathised.

“It’s mostly my own fault,” Mel sighed, “I didn’t really support him when he got married.”

“Not like his bride?” Jack leaned back against the counter.

“She’s a manipulative bitch who used my son’s good nature against him,” Mel grimaced, “And of course when I tried to warn him, I was interfering with his life.”

“How long has it been since you saw him?” Jack asked.

“Almost a year,” Mel sighed again, “We talk occasionally by phone but we’re very careful when we talk, making sure we hardly say anything of any consequence.”

Jack felt deep sympathy for the man and took one last look at the picture, “Look, forget eating that; come and join us for dinner.”

Mel smiled and after a few moments hesitation, he nodded.



Daniel Jackson grimaced as his wife arrived home; they’d been married almost a year and a half now. Sarah leaned over and kissed his cheek as she breezed through the room, dropping her shopping on the bed.

“Wait till you see the dress I got for tonight,” Sarah told him, “It is perfect and very sexy.”

Daniel gave her a half-smile. He hated these stupid parties, where people who wouldn’t know a new idea if it came and kicked them in the head, stood around and ridiculed those who did. Sarah however, loved them; they were a way to make sure she stayed at the top of their profession.

“What are you doing?” she asked as he tapped away at the computer.

“My Dad moved,” Daniel explained, “I was just updating our address book.”

“Where did he move to?” Sarah asked, not really caring that much, she’d removed him from the picture.

“Colorado Springs,” Daniel sighed sadly, “He didn’t even tell me, other than the card I got this morning.”

“If he can’t respect you enough to talk to you about it, then you’re better off away from him,” Sarah kissed his cheek, wrapping her arms around his shoulder and giving him a quick squeeze, “I’m here and I love you.”

Daniel closed his eyes as she kissed him, wondering why he couldn’t be happy with her. But if he was completely honest with himself, he would say how trapped he felt in this marriage.

They’d been dating almost eight months when Sarah had fallen pregnant. Daniel, feeling he should do the right thing, had proposed. They married a few weeks later and two weeks after that, Sarah suffered a miscarriage. Daniel had been devastated but Sarah had been strangely calm, telling him they had plenty of time for children.

He had very few friends and his estrangement from his father made him feel isolated.

He didn’t love Sarah, he did care for her but he didn’t love her and it was eating away at him.

*********************************************

“Well?” Catherine Langford asked; a grin covered her face as she watched the man beside her.

Mel stared at the object in front of them. He finally managed to turn to the woman beside him; she had been a good friend of Claire’s and he’d been happy to come help her out.

“It is absolutely incredible,” Mel breathed, “I have never seen anything like this in my life.”

Catherine smiled, “So, do you think you can translate it?”

“I don’t know,” Mel replied, determination filling his eyes, “But let me try.”

Catherine grinned and patted his arm, “That’s why you’re here.”

Mel turned back to the cartouche staring in amazement, “Who else will I be working with on this?”

“General West has found me another Archaeologist,” Catherine told him, “I don’t have her name on me but from what I know she’s also bringing her husband, who I’ve been told is a linguist.”

“Well, hopefully he’ll be good at his job,” Mel shrugged.

Catherine smiled before moving onto the subject she really wanted to talk about, “Have you heard from Daniel recently?”

Catherine noticed Mel’s shoulders droop before he shook his head, “Not for a few months.”

Catherine frowned; she knew how much Mel loved and missed his son, the rift between them hurt him so much, especially considering how alone Mel was after losing Claire, “You know he loves you.”

“Unfortunately that little bitch he married despises me,” Mel snorted, smiling as Catherine patted his arm, “I’ll have to make more of an effort to get along with her I guess. I don’t want to lose my son.”



Daniel followed Sarah as they entered the mountain facility. He couldn’t believe she’d taken this job without even consulting him, but she’d guilted him into coming here with her. He dropped into one of the seats in the conference room they were taken to, wondering what it was Sarah had agreed to work on.

“Good morning,” a woman said from behind Daniel; making him turn, a smile coming to his lips unbidden.

“Catherine,” Daniel moved and hugged the old woman.

“Danny,” Catherine happily hugged him back, “You look good.”

“You too,” he replied, wincing as Sarah coughed gaining their attention.

“Dr Gardener,” Catherine greeted Sarah coolly, “Looks like you were being secretive about how good your husband really is.”

Sarah gave a tight smile, “Well I don’t like to brag, in case people try to keep him for themselves.”

“Well,” Catherine continued, instantly agreeing with Mel’s dislike of the woman, “Follow me and I’ll show you why we need your expertise.”

Daniel smiled as Catherine slipped her arm through his, Sarah walked behind them, not happy that Daniel knew their new boss. They entered a large room where the cartouche sat.

“Oh my God,” Daniel breathed in amazement.

“I knew you would like this,” Mel said from behind him, “I didn’t realise you’d see it.”

“Dad?” Daniel cried; turning and hugging his father tightly.

Mel pulled back after a few minutes, smiling at his son before turning to his daughter-in-law, “Hello, Sarah.”

“Mel,” she greeted him evenly, “This is why you moved to Colorado then?”

Mel nodded, “Have you got somewhere to stay?”

“Not yet,” Daniel replied, still smiling.

Mel squeezed his son’s shoulder, “Well I have more than enough room for you both, until you find a place to stay.”

“That’s really nice of you, Dad,” Daniel smiled.

“Yes,” Sarah agreed but without any real enthusiasm.

*********************************************

Daniel stared at the symbols in front of him, his eyes getting sore from staring at them. They’d been here for about a month now and he just couldn’t get this. It didn’t help that every time he started to get somewhere, Sarah would drag him away.

She had, thankfully, gone to see a friend back in Chicago this week, so he was able to work as long as he wanted on the cartouche.

Reaching out for some coffee, he grimaced to find he had none left. Staggering out of the room, he flashed his badge at the guard. Filling up the jug from the fountain, Daniel glanced over at the newspaper the guard held. Inspiration struck and Daniel left the coffee pot sitting there, grabbing the page he needed and heading back to the room, quickly jumping back to the door.

“Can I borrow this?” he yelled through the door, nodding as the guard stared at him confused.

Daniel spread the newspaper out in the desk in front of him, pulling out a marker pen. He had it.



“There are three different…I suppose the best word would be addresses written on the cartouche and I suppose if there was a way we could go there…This would be an amazing find,” Daniel stood in front of the people running the project. Catherine and his father were sitting directly in his eye line, both smiling proudly at him as he explained, “That’s it,” he shrugged slightly, licking his lips nervously.

“But that symbol isn’t on the device,” one of the other scientists spoke up, pointing at Daniel’s scribble on the whiteboard.

“What device?” Daniel asked, seeing General West’s glance towards Jack O’Neill who nodded.

“Show him,” West said.

Catherine smiled at Daniel as they showed him the device he christened Stargate. They’d decided not to show Daniel the Stargate, Mel had known that his son would be able to solve the puzzle without that particular piece.

“Oh my God,” Daniel breathed, feeling his father grip his shoulder, “It’s incredible.”

“I knew you’d do it,” Mel whispered to him.



Daniel paced his office, waiting for an answer to the proposal he’d just put forward. He wanted to go with the team that went through the Stargate, he wanted to see what was on the other side and he was the best choice from the scientists within the project to go. He could speak dozens of languages, he could pick new ones up really fast and he was fit enough to keep up with the military.

“Daniel,” his father’s voice jolted him out of his thoughts, “I want to talk to you.”

He turned to his father and sighed, “Dad, please don’t try and talk me out of wanting to go.”

“I’m not going to,” Mel told him, “I am however, going to ask if you’ve spoken to Sarah about this.”

Daniel turned away, “I thought you hated her.”

“Daniel,” Mel frowned.

“Dad, the trip we’re planning is going to be over in two days,” Daniel reminded him, “Sarah won’t be back till next week.”

“Daniel…”

“Dad, don’t,” Daniel snapped, “This is my choice.”

“I know,” Mel sighed, “That’s why I’m here to tell you that they agreed. You’re going.”

Daniel gasped happily, “That’s great. Dad, trust me this is going to be great.”



Daniel ducked as the gunfire flew all around him. Jack grabbed his shoulder.

“When I tell you,” Jack ordered, “Get to the Gate and get it open.”

Daniel nodded, he had his notes ready to dial the device to get them back to Earth and he was looking forward to getting home. They’d been here a day and discovered some amazing things, including lots more addresses for them to explore and Daniel couldn’t wait. Unfortunately they had been ambushed on the way back to the Gate, the people of the planet called them pirates and Daniel didn’t want to explore that too much. He was about to move when he noticed something from the out the corner of his eye.

“Jack,” Daniel snapped out the warning.

Jack ducked just in time, the knife flying over his head and hitting off the rock behind him. Jack grabbed it and flung it back; hitting his would be assailant in the shoulder. The man fell back with a cry and Jack ordered Daniel to get to the Gate. Daniel ran; skidding to the dialling device, pushing the address for earth into it.

“Colonel,” Daniel called over, motioning the team to come.

Jack ordered his team to the Gate, running behind them he didn’t see the older man aim at him but Daniel did.

“Look out,” Daniel yelled, he knew he couldn’t get to Jack but he was close enough to the assailant. Without thought, he ran and tackled the man about to kill Jack. He hit the ground hard, relieved as he saw Jack was safe but that soon turned to fear as something struck him on the back of his head and white light surrounded him.



Mel stared at Jack as he staggered down the ramp; his brown eyes were filled with sadness and deep apology.

“Where’s Daniel?” Mel demanded, fear tingeing his voice.

“I’m sorry, Mel,” Jack whispered, “He…he…he saved my life. We couldn’t…”

As Jack trailed off, Mel dropped his head, feeling Catherine take his arm; she guided the elder Dr Jackson out of the Gateroom.

“What happened?” West demanded.

Jack drew himself up, “Dan…Dr Jackson was abducted; he saved my life when what the natives called Pirates attacked us. Their leader went to shoot me but Dan…Dr Jackson tackled the man…”

West nodded, dismissing the Colonel.

*********************************************

Daniel’s head swam as he tried to focus on where he suddenly was. He remembered tackling the man about to shoot Jack and the next thing the world was black with blinking lights.

“Captain,” a woman called from somewhere beside him, “Your attacker is waking up.”

Daniel could hear the amusement in the woman’s voice as he struggled to wake up properly, footsteps came closer and he forced his eyes open. A woman with long red hair tied tightly back in a plait stood above him, wearing something that he’d only ever seen in a really bad sci-fi movie. All black leather, so tight she more than likely couldn’t breathe half the time with knee high boots, topped off with several daggers that matched the ones at her waist.

His attention was pulled away from her as a man arrived, he looked to be about the same age as the General but that was where any resemblance ended. He had a scar that ran from just below his eye to his chin, his hair was black with speckles of grey and Daniel felt his blood chill as the man stared down at him with dark brown, almost black eyes.

“What do you think, Hedron?” the woman asked, “A new slave?”

The man stared down at Daniel, examining him, “He looks weak,” Hedron mused, “We might not get a good price for him.”

The woman smiled sadistically, “We could always sell him to Elron. He always needs new man-servants. He may be soft but he looks Elron’s type,” the way she looked Daniel up and down made him shiver.

Before the man, Hedron could reply a call from the other side of the room made him turn, “Haryis?”

All Daniel heard was a moan of pain as both Hedron and the woman headed towards it. Pulling himself up, Daniel leaned against the wall to see a man close in age to himself sitting against a wall, a wound leaking blood from his shoulder.

“We need to do something,” the woman snapped annoyed, “He could die.”

“I can help,” Daniel blurted out without realising, jumping back as they turned on him.

The woman moved and Daniel didn’t know how but he was suddenly on his knees with a knife against his throat.

“Your friend did this to him,” she sneered, pressing one of her many daggers to the exposed skin of his neck.

“Tilli,” Hedron snapped, “Not yet,” he leaned down, grabbing Daniel’s face so they were eye to eye, “You can help him?”

“I think so,” Daniel told him, “I have some medical training.”

Hedron mused for a second before letting Daniel go and turning to Tilli, “Let him go. But keep your blade ready,” Hedron turned back to Daniel as he struggled to his feet, “If he dies, I will let Tilli gut you.”



Daniel knelt beside the injured man and gently pulled back the blood soaked cloth, hearing his patient hiss in pain.

“I need some things out of my pack,” he told them.

“Tilli,” Hedron motioned her to get the pack; he shoved it at Daniel who grunted slightly as it slammed into him, “Here.”

Daniel kept his mouth shut and started rooting around until he found his first aid kit; he silently thanked his father for talking him into taking the first aid courses back at school. He’d enjoyed them so much he’d taken more courses, which had helped during digs.

About half an hour later Daniel finished, watching as the man and woman crouched down beside the other man. Daniel moved back, suddenly realising that he was onboard some kind of ship.

“Well,” Hedron stood up and walked towards Daniel, “Name?”

“Daniel,” he replied softly.

Hedron nodded, “You could be useful. Tilli, we could use a medic.”

Tilli moved to Daniel again studying him thoughtfully, “He doesn’t look like one of us, the others wouldn’t accept him. They’ll see him as a slave.”

Hedron studied Daniel who stood uncomfortably, “He is but we can work on that,” Hedron smiled at him, making Daniel swallow hard, “It looks like we have finally got ourselves a doctor.”