Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In A Moment

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
She watched the pair walking towards the stronghold and smiled. Her host knew them both and they would be perfect to host the new symbiotes that were maturing. The woman could infiltrate the Abydonians, give information that would allow the new Goa’uld Empire to flourish and this time there would be only one Goa’uld in charge.

She strolled from the throne room and into the preparation chamber where what had once been the crew of the Ivory lay, many sat in the tubs waiting until the symbiote entered the pouch. In one corner lay the bodies of the crew members who had managed to resist the drug she used and those who had not survived the alteration process. It had annoyed her that barely half of the crew were viable Jaffa but the two coming towards her now would help soothe her annoyance. Although, none of her warriors would be ready to take them she knew from her hosts memories that their curiosity would place them within her clutches.

Very soon.

*********************************************

“Well,” Sam started, looking up from the computer she had been working on, “From what I can tell, this has transported them to another part of the planet. I think I may have the co-ordinates and if Teal’c here can fly one of those shuttles, we’ll be able to go get them.”

Jack turned to the large man standing there, “Can you?”

“I am an excellent pilot,” Teal’c told them without a hint of self-importance, “Assuming Captain Carter has found the co-ordinates.”

“Carter’s the best we’ve got,” Jack replied, with a grin, “She’s right.”

Teal’c nodded, “Do we all go, or do you wish to have someone remain on the ship?”

Jack hesitated for a few seconds, he didn’t want to split up the group but then again if someone else got their hands on the ship, “Carter, Kawalsky, you two stick around and keep working on finding out what happened here.”

“Sir,” Sam started.

“Carter, I’m going with Teal’c to round up our lost sheep,” he reminded her, knowing that she had become very fond of Daniel since they’d started working together as part of SG1, “We need to know why the ship is here, that’s your area.”

“Yes, sir,” she nodded and turned back to the computer.

“Jack,” Kawalsky nodded him over, “Are we sure Daniel wants rescuing?”

Jack managed to swallow the smirk that touched his lips, “He has no choice in the matter, Charlie.”

Kawalsky grinned but didn’t say another word. Jack turned to Teal’c and motioned him to lead the way.

-

“Sha’re is very devoted to her work,” Teal’c spoke up as they walked briskly through the corridors, “It is one of the reasons she fights against him so much.”

Jack smiled, “Not much of a social life?”

“Her focus has always been on having a Star Vessel to command,” Teal’c explained, a fond smile touching his face just ever so slightly, “Ever since she was a child and now that she has realised her ambition, she is determined not to let anyone down. The few relationships she has had have all ended quite badly. Daniel Jackson confuses her in a way no one ever has.”

“Well, I’ve got a feeling she confuses him just as much,” Jack replied, grinning at the other man, “Danny was married before he got grabbed by those guys and from what I saw, he wasn’t happy.”

“Then it would only be right that together they are happy,” Teal’c noted.

Jack smiled; it looked like the Jaffa had a thing for matchmaking and who was he to argue. Then again, he didn’t want Daniel getting hurt. They finally reached the ship and Jack sat in the co-pilots seat.

“How good is Sha’re?” Jack asked, “If they end up having to fight?”

Teal’c glanced over at him, “I taught her.”

Jack opened his mouth to say something else before he looked at the man sitting beside him and decided that his question had already been answered.

*********************************************

Daniel glanced over at Sha’re, she was walking at his side keeping her eyes firmly in front of her. She’d been the first to pull away and since then they hadn’t said one word as they continued their journey towards the building. Daniel noticed an expanse of trees they were nearing and frowned.

“Sha’re,” he reached out and grabbed her arm, which she almost instantly wrenched out of his grasp, “I think I saw something.”

“Something?” worry filled her eyes.

Daniel nodded.

“Then we will have to be careful,” she replied, continuing on relentlessly.

Daniel let out a huff of annoyance, he ran so he was standing in front of her making her stop. Sha’re started to go one way but Daniel moved to block her.

“Enough,” she snapped, “I do not feel like playing your games.”

Daniel frowned at her, “We can’t just go marching past there, if one of the crew is hiding in the bushes.”

“And we cannot just stop here,” she retorted, “Dan’iel, our only hope of getting out of here is to go to the stronghold.”

“And marching in there, in full view of god only knows who, is stupid.”

Sha’re let out a small cry of annoyance, “What do you suggest, Dan’iel?”

Daniel didn’t get a chance to reply, a flash of metal caught his attention and he grabbed Sha’re. They landed in a heap on the ground; as Sha’re tried to get up, she lost her footing, landing on Daniel again. The momentum of her fall meant they ended up rolling down the hill, slamming into a large rock.

“Nice,” Daniel noted, planning on lying where he was until his head stopped spinning. Then again he didn’t plan on the guy coming at them with a knife. Daniel rolled as the man, who he suddenly recognised as Frid, attacked him again. The man yelled enraged as Daniel dodged again. Daniel was so focussed on trying not to get stabbed that he didn’t see Sha’re until she slammed her fist into Frid’s temple. He fell and Sha’re kicked him in the head, knocking him unconscious.

Daniel stared at her, “Remind me never to annoy you.”

Sha’re shook her head and helped him to his feet, “You already do.”

-

Daniel looked down at the unconscious man and sighed, “At least we know the crew are here.”

“He did not seem in his right mind,” Sha’re noted, “His eyes were wild, he was terrified.”

Daniel nodded, “What do we do with him?”

“We cannot leave him here,” Sha’re sighed, folding her arms, “But I would not feel comfortable having him with us.”

They looked down on the unconscious man before turning to one another, they started discussing their options but before they could make a decision Sha’re saw others coming towards them.

She grabbed his arm, “Run, Dan’iel.”

They scrambled through the trees, aware that they were in full view of those chasing them, Sha’re suddenly grabbed his sleeve and pulled him down the side of the hill to a crevasse. Daniel spotted a hidden entrance and pulled her so that she was hidden by him; his BDU’s were the right colour to hide them behind the bushes and Daniel held his breath as they listened to the sound of the people chasing them running further away.

After several moments, Daniel dared to glance down at Sha’re but she wasn’t looking up at him, her attention on the dark cavern behind them.

“What?” he asked.

“We can follow these,” she told him, “It should be safer than being out in the open.”

“Except,” Daniel noted, “Its dark in there and not out there.”

Sha’re rolled her eyes at him; she found a stick on the ground and smiled, knowing he was watching her intently while she mixed two of the fungi found on the wall.

“Hey,” Daniel grinned, “We’ve got light.”

Sha’re didn’t bother answering that and instead she started forward into the cave with Daniel following on behind.

*********************************************

“Something wrong, Carter?” Charlie asked when she slammed her hand against the console she was working on.

“These people were useless at keeping records,” she told him.

Kawalsky laughed, “They were pirates,” he reminded her, “What about backtracking? I remember Daniel mentioning once that there were sort of buoys placed at certain points in space that sent out a signal so ships couldn’t get lost.”

“You amaze me sometimes, Charlie,” Sam laughed, clicking her fingers, “That’s a brilliant idea.”

“I do have a brain you know,” Kawalsky tried to look affronted, “Just because I’m not as far up the IQ scale as you or Daniel doesn’t mean I don’t know one or two things.”

Sam was about to apologise but seeing the amused look on his face, she threw a candy bar at his head.

“Give me a few minutes,” she started going through the computer log again and grinned triumphantly, “Got it.”

She quickly hit the radio, “Colonel, I have something that I think we need Teal’c to look at.”

-

Jack sat scanning the fields below, wondering where the hell Daniel was. He glanced over to where Teal’c was piloting, the man hadn’t changed expression since they’d started their hunt but Jack was sure he was worried. There was a slight tightening of the jaw as time passed.

“Colonel, I have something that I think we need Teal’c to look at,” Sam’s voice came over the radio.

“Sure,” Jack replied, “Transmit it to us and I’ll get him to look.”

Jack watched the man beside him as he studied the data Sam sent them, both amazed and worried to see an actual expression of worry cover his face.

“What?” Jack demanded.

Teal’c turned to him, “The danger may be greater than we imagined. We must find them quickly.”

Jack grimaced, “Why? What did Carter find?”

“The path the ship took to get to this planet,” Teal’c explained, “Passed through a region of space that is associated with the war with the Goa’uld that the Abydonians won.”

“You think one of these Gould have infiltrated this crew,” Jack noted, worried as the grim expression on the man became even grimmer.

“The question becomes which one,” Teal’c replied, “And what their plan is.”

Jack grimaced, “Have you got any idea where they are yet?

Teal’c shook his head slightly, “There is no trace of either of them. It is also getting late.”

“Your scans showed some caves,” Jack noted, “If I know Daniel, and I do, he’ll find a cave for the night.”

“You believe we should return to the ship?” Teal’c asked; his eyebrow rose ever so slightly.

Jack knew that this man was normally in charge so the fact he was asking Jack for his orders was something that intrigued the Colonel.

“It’s the best idea,” Jack replied, “We can’t find them if they’re underground. Let’s go back and see if we can find them some other way.”

-

Daniel had never been afraid of the dark; he’d spent most of his life in archaeology digs with his father and knew that nothing scary hid in the shadows. Then he’d heard about the Goa’uld.

Sha’re was walking slowly along the corridors, the light held in front of her as she kept her eyes sharp for anything that could attack. Daniel walked behind her and studied the woman in front of him. He knew she was beautiful, even blind he would know this but she was also strong, determined and stubborn as hell. As they moved through the labyrinth of caves, Daniel could see her poised for anything that could possibly attack them.

He was snapped out of his musing as she gave a deep sigh.

“What?”

“It is getting late, Daniel,” Sha’re told him, “We should get some rest. We have no food or water so we should rest for a few hours.”

Daniel shrugged, “Fine. Here?”

Sha’re shook her head, “No, we are too exposed here. There are a few caves we passed that give better protection.”

“Lead on,” Daniel motioned her, walking behind her trying very hard to keep his focus on where he was going.

-

Sha’re amazingly found a cave that had water as well as some wood they could use for fire. Daniel pulled out the lighter he remembered he had in his pocket, they had warmth and they had something to drink.

“Now if we could find a plant with some chicken sandwiches,” Daniel noted, “This wouldn’t be a bad hotel.”

Sha’re sighed.

“It could be worse,” he continued, trying to cheer her up even a little.

“How?” Sha’re challenged.

Daniel opened his mouth then frowned, “I don’t actually have an answer to that.”

At this she did give a small smile, Daniel smiled back suddenly remembering something.

“Hey, I have food.”

Sha’re looked at him surprised and suspicious.

“Ta da,” Daniel whipped out the small bars of chocolate he’d recovered from his room on the Ivory, “Not much but it should help us keep out strength up.”

“You are actually letting me have some,” Sha’re asked innocently, her tone teasing as she tried not to smile.

Daniel grinned, “I think I’ll be able to get more this time,” he held the bar out to her, “Do you want it or not?”

Sha’re took the bar he handed to her, “Thank you.”

They sat in silence as they ate, Daniel watching her again.

-

Sha’re tried to avoid looking up into the crystal blue eyes of the man sitting near her. She’d been trying to avoid even thinking about him over the past few months. She knew she hadn’t reacted too well to his presence here and everything she said and did was to keep him at a distance. The thing was he was so different from the way he’d been on the Ivory. He didn’t have the walls around him anymore; his sense of humour and what she realised was his true personality was shining through. The real Daniel Jackson was smart, funny and Sha’re could feel the warmth of his smile as they sat eating in silence. As much as she tried not to think about him, she had and she worried. He had seemed lost when he left Abydos, he had looked so misplaced even with the people of his own world that she’d had to force herself not to move to him and wrap her arms around him. What was annoying her now was she still wanted to wrap her arms around him.

The fire died down after a while and they didn’t have any more wood. Sha’re tried not to shiver but it wasn’t something she could stop.

“Hey,” Daniel shifted round to sit by her side, he wrapped his jacket around her so they were both covered by it, “Try and get some sleep.”

Sha’re turned to look up at him, “Dan’iel...” she trailed off as her eyes locked with his, catching her breath when Daniel gently touched her cheek.

Part of her was saying that she should move back, move away from him but that was being shouted down by the part that wanted to kiss him. Daniel leaned closer to her and Sha’re closed her eyes as his lips touched hers. Sha’re wrapped her arms around his neck as the kiss deepened before Daniel rested her back against the ground.