Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In A Moment

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sha’re loved the silence, she loved the absolute stillness of the stars and the fact here, high up in the observation tower of the council chambers, no one would disturb her. Well, almost no one.

“We are leaving in the morning,” Teal’c said, moving to stand behind her, “You should be resting.”

Sha’re smiled at her friend, “I will. I just wanted to look at the stars.”

Teal’c turned her head to the right slightly and pointed, “I believe that one is Earth’s sun.”

Sha’re frowned at him, “I am not thinking about Dan’iel.”

“Of course not,” Teal’c replied blandly, “Just thinking about the stars.”

Sha’re shook her head and sat down against the wall, facing Teal’c, “I am worried about him,” she admitted.

Teal’c raised a confused eyebrow, “Why?”

Sha’re shook her head, “The reason he took the chance to get us off the ship was because a man died while Dan’iel was trying to save him. The fact he couldn’t, it hit Dan’iel so hard.”

Teal’c smiled at how compassionate Sha’re was, even after what she had been through, “He is home. Like you are and getting on with life.”

Sha’re laughed and reached out for him to help her up; Teal’c happily pulled her to her feet, smiling as she hugged him.

“Goodnight, Teal’c,” Sha’re said, “I shall see you tomorrow on the ship.”



Sha’re stepped onto the bridge of the Flamia, one side of her mouth curved in a smile which she quickly suppressed as Teal’c walked over.

“Commander,” he greeted her cordially.

“Teal’c,” she replied, “Are we fully supplied?”

Teal’c gave a slight nod, “The last shuttle just docked, we’ve been given clearance to leave.”

Sha’re gave him a slight nod, “You have our destination,” she turned to the pilot, who nodded at his commanding officer.

Everybody on board was relieved to have Sha’re back in command, she had been missing for several months and then had to take several months off before the council would allow her to resume her post.

Sha’re stood with Teal’c and watched Abydos slowly disappear as the Flamia broke orbit before entering hyperspace. Once she was assured they were on their way, Sha’re headed to her office to get some work done.

She had a great deal to catch up on since she’d been abducted. She started her work but as she tried to focus Sha’re’s eyes were drawn to the dagger that belonged to Daniel. She had brought it on board and was keeping it on her desk as a reminder of all that had happened. Idly, Sha’re lifted the small jewelled blade and turned it over in her hands. She wondered how he was, where he was and if she would ever see him again.

*********************************************

Daniel ran.

“Jack, we’ve got company coming,” he yelled at his friend, “Get the Gate open.”

Jack spun to defend them as Kawalsky started to dial Earth, “What did you do?”

Daniel shrugged, “Nothing.”

Jack ducked as the staff blast flew over his head, “Yeah right. Charlie?”

“Sending the signal now,” Kawalsky told him, “Okay go.”

Daniel started to run again, he dropped covering Sam as she entered the Gate before he and Jack dived through together. They landed on the ramp side by side and started to laugh.

“Well,” Mel said, making them both look up at him, “Dare I even ask.”

“Nah,” Jack said, pulling himself up.

“Hi, Dad,” Daniel grinned as well, he grabbed the railing to get up.

“SG1,” Hammond called from the control room, “Infirmary now and we’ll debrief in an hour.”



Daniel walked at Jack’s side through the corridors. It had been a six months since he’d returned to Earth and although he was still having trouble sleeping through the night, Daniel felt he’d adjusted pretty well - even if he did still sleep with a knife under his pillow.

“Did you hear what Ferretti and his goon squad found?” Jack asked, rolling his shoulders to loosen them after their dive through the Gate.

“Yeah,” Daniel replied, “It looks to be some remnants of Ra. From what I know, Ra was destroyed thousands of years ago by the Abydonians. That’s how they got the major boost to their technology.”

“So, you think it’s worth checking out?” Jack liked the interest that sparked in Daniel from this.

Daniel nodded, “Something like this could give us an insight into…” he trailed off as Jack grinned at him, “What?”

Jack shrugged, “This is the Dr Jackson I remember from when we met.”

Daniel laughed, shaking his head, “I’m beginning to feel like him again too.”

Jack clapped him on the shoulder, shoving him into the infirmary where Janet was waiting for them.



“If we can find more evidence concerning the Goa’uld,” Daniel explained, “We could probably find technology that would help us keep up with some of our allies.”

“And you think the answers could be on P4F 66G?” Hammond asked, from his usual position at the head of the table.

Daniel shrugged, “I know it’s in an area of space that wasn’t travelled very often. In fact, Hedron took a course that diverted the ship two weeks out of the way we were going just to avoid it.”

Mel leaned forward, “It sounds…intriguing.”

“SG1 are ready to go on your word, General,” Jack spoke up; he was leaning back in his seat.

Hammond mused for a few seconds, “Very well. You are due some leave first.”

“But...” Daniel started.

“Daniel,” Mel stopped him, “George is right. SG1 has been going for several months without a break and even if you don’t feel like you need one, I’m sure Jack would like to spend some time with Charlie.”

Daniel sighed, “When then?”

“You have two weeks leave,” Hammond told him, “I’ll schedule the mission for just after your return.”

“Thank you, sir,” Jack grinned.

Hammond and Mel headed into the office for a separate meeting, leaving SG1 sitting at the table.

Kawalsky stood first, “If I move now, I can get home and persuade Leigh to go out for dinner. See you in two weeks.”

“And I am going to go home,” Sam announced, following Kawalsky out of the room, “I have to pack.”

“Pack?”Jack asked, smiling at Daniel.

Sam rolled her eyes, “I’m visiting my brother. He lives in Seattle.”

“Have fun, Carter,” Jack told her, “Don’t cause too much trouble.”

Sam laughed, smirking at him, “No promises, Sir. See you later, Daniel.”



Daniel knew that the next two weeks would crawl by. His social life out-with the SGC was basically non-existent. Daniel couldn’t help but think about life back on the Ivory, it was bizarre how much he thought about the ship and the difference in his life now. His mind drifted to Sha’re, wondering how she was back on Abydos, wondering if she had gone back to commanding her ship. He was quite amazed how much he missed her. She had driven him crazy, especially at first but they had become a team in a way and he missed her.

It didn’t help that he was still living with his father but the thought of having to try and find an apartment made him shudder.

“Daniel,” Jack appeared through the backdoor, “Are you coming or what?”

“What?”

“Come on,” Jack sighed, “Charlie’s been talking about this fishing trip for months and he wants you and Mel to come. So get off your ass and get in the car.”

Daniel sighed, “Fine but I’m coming under protest.”

“Protest all you want,” Mel said, appearing through the other door, “But protest in the car.”

Daniel sighed again but did as ordered, taking the seat beside Charlie, forcing a grin on his face. He could pretend for a few weeks.

*********************************************

Daniel had been relieved when his leave had finished and they were allowed back onto the base. They now had a mission to P4F 66G, where he hoped they would find some things that could possibly give an insight into the history of the galaxy and possibly get a boost to their technology.

The fishing trip had been fun; Daniel had enjoyed himself especially watching Charlie run around.

Thankfully, now he was getting back to work and looking forward to it. It kept his mind off of Sha’re and the Ivory.

“The MALP has shown that the planet is deserted,” Sam was reporting, “There are ruins but they’re a good distance from the Stargate. I’m picking up faint energy readings but I can’t work out what they could be.”

“Signs of life?” Jack asked; glancing up from the file he was scanning.

Sam shook her head, “None that I could find but saying that, there could be something further away from the Gate.”

“Alright,” Hammond nodded once Sam took her seat again, “SG1, you leave in three hours.”

Daniel smiled; he was looking forward to this mission.



“Remind me never to let you two pick a restaurant,” Jack noted as they walked through the dull grey landscape.

“Jack, if it’s not a pizza place,” Daniel retorted, “You’re not interested anyway.”

“I resent that,” Jack cried, “I also like Chinese food.”

Daniel chuckled; stopping dead as the ruins came into view but the ruined buildings of the people who had once inhabited this planet was not what had his attention.

“What is that?” Kawalsky breathed.

Daniel swallowed hard, “It’s the Ivory.”

“As in...” Jack started.

“Hedron’s ship,” Daniel stated grimly, “But I’ve never known it ever land on a planet. They used to take the shuttles down to the surface,” he turned to Jack, “Something’s wrong, Jack. We have to see if anyone is on it.”

“Ah, Daniel,” Jack hesitated, “If you remember correctly, these are the people who held you hostage for quite a few years. Not to mention, you said Hedron would probably gut you if he saw you again.”

“I agree with the Colonel,” Sam stated, “Daniel, it’s not a good idea.”

Daniel glanced at the final member of the team, waiting.

“Sorry, Daniel,” Kawalsky replied, “I have to side with them.”

Daniel grimaced, “Listen to me. I know that ship, I know the crew and I know unless something catastrophic happened then that,” he pointed to the ship on the horizon, “Would not be sitting there.”

Jack stared at him for a few seconds, “Okay.”

“Sir?” Sam started, stopping as he held up his hand.

“We take a quick look,” Jack continued, “When I say we go then we leave without a word from you. Got it?”

Daniel nodded, “Whatever you say, Colonel.”

“Then lead the way.”

*********************************************

“Commander,” Teal’c’s voice filled her office, “There is something you need to see.”

Sha’re sighed, “I am coming.”

They were three days away from their destination and running slightly behind schedule as they had stopped to rescue a cargo ship. Sha’re wanted nothing to go wrong with this mission, this was her first back since she’d returned from her capture and she wanted nothing to go wrong.

Except things just seemed to be going wrong constantly.

Sha’re pulled on her jacket and fixed it, marching out of her office and onto the bridge. Teal’c relinquished the command chair to Sha’re, automatically taking the one at its side.

“What have you found?” Sha’re asked, taking her seat.

Teal’c brought up the display on the arm of the command chair, “We have detected a signal coming from the Priada sector.”

Sha’re’s interest piqued, “That is very unusual. It is a restricted sector; no ship dares go near there, not even pirates. When I was on the Ivory, they deliberately avoided this area of space.”

“I have ordered a scan of the system,” Teal’c continued, “The signal is coming from the third planet.”

Shock covered Sha’re’s face, “But that was once Ra’s...” she trailed off as she realised every crew member on the bridge was staring at her, lowering her voice she continued, “We need to investigate.”

Teal’c nodded his agreement, “I suggest that we also alert the Abydonian High Council and the Jaffa Assembly. If a Goa’uld is using this place then they could be planning a major attack against both.”

Sha’re nodded, “Phrase a message to them. Then you and I will head to the surface.”

Teal’c looked disquieted by her declaration, “Sha’re, are you sure that you...”

“Only we,” Sha’re reminded him, “Have the permission to go to a restricted planet. Teal’c, this is an order.”

He frowned but couldn’t argue with her.



Sha’re felt a shiver run along her spine as she exited the small shuttle. This was the first time she’d ever set foot on a restricted planet, she had never wanted to have to do this but the fact there was a signal emanating from this planet in particular meant she had to.

At her side, Teal’c moved with the grace of a warrior. She felt better having him with her, something about this seemed wrong. The Council and Assembly had both agreed that it was imperative that they knew who was here and what they were doing.

They moved slowly through the trees, following the signal in hopes that it would lead them to whoever was here. As the forest thinned, Sha’re gasped as she saw the ship sitting before them.

“Teal’c,” she grabbed his arm, “It’s the Ivory.”

The Jaffa stared at her, “Pirate ships do not land. They cannot make a quick escape that way.”

Sha’re nodded her agreement, her eyes never leaving the ship in front of her, “Something must have happened, Teal’c. We need to find out what it was.”

Teal’c stared at her, his eyes boring into her but she kept her gaze even and he was the one to look away first.

“This place was your prison,” he reminded her.

“And I escaped,” Sha’re replied, “I know what I am doing, Teal’c. Now come with me.”



The corridors of the Ivory were dark, occasionally a light would flicker and Sha’re frowned. She could find no indication of the crew at all.

Teal’c walked slowly by her side, checking rooms as they moved past them but they revealed no clues as to what had happened to the crew. Moving deeper into the ship, Sha’re stopped as she realised they were at the infirmary. Memories of the time she’d spent with Daniel flooded her mind and she let out a soft sigh.

“Sha’re,” Teal’c asked, his voice a harsh whisper, “Have you found something?”

“No,” she shook her head, “I...I just spent a great deal of time here,” she shook herself and started moving around, looking for some clue, “We should get to the bridge, Teal’c. The ships logs will reveal more to us.”

“I agree,” Teal’c murmured, “Lead the way.”

With a final glance around the room, Sha’re led her friend along the corridors towards the bridge of the Ivory. It was someplace she hadn’t been very often during her time on the ship, though she had memorised the layout of the ship at one point when she was sitting trying to access Daniel’s computer.

They reached the bridge and keeping her gun aimed, Sha’re hit the controls to open the doors. Instantly she saw four people, crowded round one of the consoles.

Hearing the door open, all four spun and aimed their weapons at her. Sha’re stared at the man at the edge of the group who was staring back at her just as amazed.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re breathed, her weapon never wavering.

He stared at her, uttering one word, “Hi.”