Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In A Moment

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Daniel stood beside his father, barely listening to him thank Kasuf for allowing them to suspend their talks for now so that Mel could take his son home. Daniel’s focus was past the Abydan leader to where Sha’re stood, once again clad in her uniform, her face blank but her dark brown eyes resting on him.

“I wish to thank you for helping my daughter,” Kasuf said to Daniel, making him jump a little that he was being spoken to directly, “I should have said before now.”

“There’s no need,” Daniel murmured, “Sha’re saved my life as well.”

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re stepped forward, offering him the knife that had been confiscated the moment he’d arrived on the Flamia, “This belongs to you.”

Daniel reached out; gently he touched the blade that had kept him protected for so long, after a moment he pulled his hand back.

“Keep it,” he told her with a shrug, “I don’t need it anymore.”

Sha’re took it back and smiled at him, “Take care, Dan’iel.”

“You too,” he replied, giving her a small smile before he turned with the others heading through the Stargate.



Daniel let out a soft sigh only Jack heard when they stepped out of the Stargate onto the ramp deep in Cheyenne Mountain.

“Welcome home, Dr Jackson. I’m General George Hammond,” General Hammond stepped forward smiling at Daniel, “It’s wonderful to meet you.”

“Hi,” Daniel said softly, glancing warily around the Gateroom but he smiled when Catherine rushed towards him; the older woman pulled him into a hug without a word.

After she released him, Mel touched Daniel’s shoulder and moved him out of the Gateroom to the infirmary where Janet Fraiser was waiting.

Hammond waited until they were gone before turning to Jack, “Has he said what happened to him?”

Jack shook his head, “Just that it’d be easier once we got back here. I’ve got a feeling he doesn’t want to repeat himself.”

“It’s understandable,” Hammond nodded, “Go, get to the infirmary and I’ll see you at 1400 for the debriefing.”

Jack nodded, giving the General a slight salute before heading to the infirmary.



“Dr Jackson, it’s nice to finally meet you,” a dark-red haired woman walked towards him and Daniel tensed slightly.

“Daniel,” Mel placed his hand on his son’s neck, his thumb gently rubbing against the muscle, soothing the way he would when Daniel was a child, “This is Dr Janet Fraiser, she’s going to do your medical.”

“Sure,” Daniel murmured, his eyes never wavering from Janet who was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable under the bright blue gaze.

“Alright, Dr Jackson,” Janet pushed on, “This won’t take long. Then you can go get freshened up in time for your debriefing.”

“Daniel,” a soft murmur made her look up.

“Sorry?”

He gave a slight shrug, “Call me Daniel.”

Janet smiled at him, “Alright, Daniel. Mel, Dr Young is waiting for you.”

Mel sighed and looked at his son who nodded to him; Mel squeezed Daniel’s shoulder before heading away.

“Okay, Daniel,” Janet told him, “Let’s get started.”

*********************************************

Daniel stared at himself in the mirror once he was dressed. It felt so good to have a proper shower and to shave again with a razor rather than a knife but he felt odd…out of place here.

“Hey, Daniel,” Jack called, forcing him out of his thoughts, “Are you coming?”

Daniel turned, “I guess.”

Jack motioned him to walk, a little unnerved by how cold and nervous Daniel was acting, hoping that the young man would be able to relax soon.

“The sooner you get this over with,” Jack went with jovial nonchalance; “The sooner we can get out of here and I can get pizza.”

Daniel gave a very small smile before motioning Jack to lead the way. Keeping Jack in front so he could escape, the Colonel noted.

When they reached the briefing room, Daniel stared silently at the people sitting at the table, Hammond, Catherine and Janet Fraiser sat with Mel but his focus lingered on three people he didn’t know.

“Daniel,” his father said softly, motioning him to the seat at his side, “Let’s do this as fast as possible.”

Daniel took his seat, turning his head slightly to his father, “Who are they?”

Mel was a little shocked by the coldness of Daniel’s voice but he simply turned to the people sitting there, “Captain Samantha Carter, Major Paul Davis and…”

“Colonel Harry Maybourne,” the man cut Mel off, “It’s good to meet you, Dr Jackson.”

Daniel felt a shiver along his spine at the weasley man smiling at him. He focussed on Jack who was sitting opposite him looking annoyed at Maybourne’s interruption.

“I guess you all want to know what happened to me,” Daniel stated evenly.

“That would be helpful,” Jack told him, “Since we’re sitting here.”

A small smiled touched Daniel’s lips but disappeared quickly.

“After I stopped them killing Jack,” Daniel started, “I found myself on their ship where the son of the captain was badly injured. I opened my mouth as usual and said I could help.”

“Your first aid training came in handy,” Mel smiled proudly.

Daniel sighed, “Yeah. Anyway, when they saw I was useful, Hedron…”

“Who?” Jack interrupted.

“The ship’s Captain,” Daniel supplied before returning to his story, “Hedron told me I was a slave but this was only know to himself, his son Haryis and a woman named Tilli. Everyone else thought I was a medic and one of them.”

“You’ve been a slave for the past three years?” Catherine asked horrified.

“Ah,” Daniel hesitated, “Not exactly.”

“Meaning?” Hammond asked.

Daniel looked embarrassed, “I learned about the ship and when I managed to deactivate the slave collar I was wearing, Hedron was amused and he decided I wasn’t a slave anymore.”

“Then you’ve been a willing crew-member of these people, the Abydonians told us were pirates,” Maybourne noted.

“I said I wasn't exactly a slave,” Daniel turned on Maybourne, his blue eyes filling with ice, “I lived because Hedron found me useful. I did everything I could to keep out of the way of any of their raids and I nearly got myself killed when I helped Sha’re escape.”

“You left also,” Maybourne reminded him, not backing down, “You obviously weren’t that much of a prisoner.”

Daniel’s jaw clenched, “If Hedron sees me again, the first thing he will do is gut me because I betrayed him. I worked with these people to stay alive, nothing more.”

“Perhaps you could continue your story, Dr Jackson,” Hammond interrupted, “We can question him later on anything we need to know more about.”

Relieved Daniel continued with the story of his life over the past few years, when Daniel finished, he sat with his hands clasped tightly on the table in front of him.

“Thank you, Dr Jackson,” Hammond told him, “I understand that wasn't easy for you. Dr Fraiser says you are in good health and that you are released for now but wants you back in two days for a follow-up check.”

“Alright,” Daniel said softly.

“Until then I’m releasing you to your father’s care,” Hammond continued, not missing the annoyed look on Daniel’s face.

Mel grabbed his son’s wrist, stopping him for saying anything, “Thank you, George. He’ll be back in two days. Come on, Daniel, let’s get out of here.”

Before another word could be said, Mel had his son out of the briefing room with Jack following on behind them.



Mel and Jack sat in Mel’s lounge listening to Daniel wander around upstairs.

“He hasn’t asked about Sarah,” Jack noted, “Should we be worried about that?”

Mel sighed, “I’m worried about everything just now. From what he told us about the ship he was on.”

“Yeah,” Jack agreed, “Look, I’ll head home and leave you two. Maybe he’ll talk to you if no one else is around.”

Mel sighed, “Maybe.”

“If you need anything,” Jack stood up, “Just give a yell. I’ll see you tomorrow, Mel.”

Mel nodded goodnight to the other man, he continued to sit for several minutes before he headed upstairs to find Daniel. His son was pacing the hallway, looking completely lost.

“Daniel?” Mel said softly, not wanting to spook his very jumpy son.

“I should ask about Sarah,” Daniel said, his voice was flat, “I’m guessing she has another life.”

“She’s having a baby,” Mel replied, a little surprised as Daniel started to laugh.

“At least she’s happy,” he shrugged, “Does she think I’m dead?”

“I refused to believe that,” Mel told him.

“I thought I’d be fine once I got home,” Daniel sighed, his blue eyes were filled with sadness, “But I still feel…I still…Dad.”

Mel sat beside Daniel and pulled his son into a tight embrace, hugging him as Daniel held onto him. The sudden sob startled Mel, and he continued to rock his son.

“You’re home, Danny,” he murmured, “You’re home.”

*********************************************

Teal’c stood watching Sha’re hit and kick the punching bag in the gym. Over the past few days she’d been brooding and depressed. At first he’d assumed it was to do with her hostage experience but as time moved on he began to realise she was pining for the young man who’d helped her. They both seemed to have deep feelings for one another, which they would never be able to admit within the situation they’d been in.

“Sha’re,” he interrupted her.

“What is it?” Sha’re demanded sharply, she’d been brusque with everyone lately.

“Your mother has arrived home,” Teal’c told her, seeing the relief fill her eyes.

Sha’re spun and headed to get changed quickly, she hadn’t seen her mother in such a long time. She showered quickly before pulling on a clean dress and practically ran to her parents’ home.

“Mama,” Sha’re cried, throwing her arms around her mother.

Najia wrapped her arms around her daughter, holding her tightly as Sha’re tried not to cry.

“Oh I was so scared,” Najia murmured softly, “When Teal’c told us…when I heard…”

“Mama,” Sha’re whispered, “I am safe, I was not harmed.”

“The man who escaped with you,” Najia pulled back, her eyes searching her daughter’s.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re felt herself smile, despite trying not to, “He saved my life. He protected me.”

Najia smiled, taking her daughter in her arms once more, not wanting to let her go.



“It feels strange, Teal’c,” Sha’re said, she was standing on the balcony of her apartment. Teal’c had walked her home, he’d been keeping an eye on her since she’d returned; “I miss him.”

“You shared an experience,” Teal’c reminded her.

“An experience?” Sha’re turned on him, “Teal’c, he was a pirate…”

“You know that is not true,” Teal’c reminded her.

“He…he,” she struggled, “Teal’c, I think I should take some time away. Father keeps telling me I should.”

Teal’c nodded in agreement, “I believe that would do you a great deal of good.”

Sha’re rolled her eyes, “Thank you, Teal’c.”

Teal’c smiled down at her, “I should go. You are not the only one who needs to sleep.”

Sha’re stretched up and kissed his cheek, “Goodnight.”

*********************************************

“I just don’t know,” Jack said, as Daniel frowned at him, “I mean can you…it’s…”

Daniel picked up the gun sitting there and without looking at the target, he let off six shots, “Check it.”

Jack hit the button, bringing the target to them; he stared in astonishment as he saw that every shot had been in the dead centre. Daniel kept his gaze even, as Jack put the target sheet down.

“So?” Daniel asked, “Can I come on missions or not?”

Jack stared at him for a second, “I’ll recommend it to Hammond.”

Daniel let out an annoyed sigh, “Look, Jack. I may have been gone for several years but in those years I’ve got enough training to match several of your men. I can shoot anything, I can hit a target with a knife behind me and I know hand to hand combat.”

Jack rubbed his hand through his hair, “You have been missing for three years, Daniel. There are people who feel you shouldn’t be a part of the SGC.”

“What about you?” Daniel challenged.

Jack settled back against the wall, his arms folded across his chest, “You’re dangerous. I can see it. But, you know how to control it and that’s the reason I want you.”

Daniel smiled, “You won’t regret this, Colonel.”

Jack rolled his eyes, “I will once Mel hears about it.”



Mel stopped talking when he heard the Gate activate. He and Hammond headed down to the control room waiting, SG1 were due back and, despite the fact Daniel had been a part of the team for several months now, Mel still worried every time he was off world.

He sighed in relief when Daniel exited the Stargate first at Jack’s side, Sam and Kawalsky behind them; all four looked relaxed as they walked out of the Gateroom towards the infirmary.

“Daniel is very capable,” Hammond reminded Mel.

Mel let out a soft snort, “He manages to give that appearance, George but he still lives with me and I hear him pacing in the middle of the night.”

“It’s only been a few months,” Hammond reminded him, “Dr Michaels is convinced he’s more than fine to work with SG1. Ever consider he just has insomnia?”

Mel frowned at him, “Back to what I was saying…”



Daniel stood in the patch of moonlight on the kitchen floor, staring through the window at the stars. Mel watched him from the doorway, wishing he could do something to help.

“Dad, I’m fine,” Daniel spoke up without turning, “You don’t have to worry.”

Mel laughed slightly, “It’s 3 am and you’re up, the same as you are every night. This isn’t fine, Daniel.”

Daniel turned to him, “I was scared. All the time I was on the ship, I was terrified that I would do something and Hedron would decide to kill me, that someone would challenge him and since I was one of his recruits they’d kill me and then when Sha’re was there, I was petrified for her. I can’t relax yet, Dad. I haven’t figured out how to.”

Mel placed his hand on his son’s shoulder, “Daniel, you’re home. I wish you could realise this. Actually, I wish I could erase the past few years for you.”

Daniel nodded, “Yeah.”

“Try and get some sleep, Daniel,” Mel said, squeezing Daniel’s neck, “Please.”

Daniel nodded and sighed as Mel left him alone again. Daniel’s eyes focussed on the stars in the cloudless sky and he started to wonder how she was. It had been several months now and Daniel just hoped she’d managed to get back to her life properly, even if he couldn’t.