Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In A Moment

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Here’s the last chapter.
Enjoy.
Mel smiled as he and Kasuf continued their discussion, it had started out as a negotiation and ended up with them sharing the stories of their own world and children. The two men shared a similar sense of humour and Mel enjoyed talking with him.

“Kasuf,” a young man said after knocking smartly on the door, “The Flamia has arrived.”

The Abydonian leader turned to Mel, “I must go and greet my daughter. Please, join me and as soon as I am sure she’s home safely we can continue our discussion.”

Mel nodded, “Of course, I’d like to meet her properly.”

The two men walked through the streets discussing generalities until they reached the space port. Mel stood in silent awe as they watched two ships settle down amazed at the grace of the vessels.



Sha’re spotted her father standing with a man who appeared to be Daniel’s father. As she moved closer she was surprised to discover it was Daniel’s father. She greeted him with a polite nod before turning to her father and hugging him quickly.

“Did you receive my report, Father?” she asked.

Kasuf nodded, “I have not read it yet though.”

“Ah,” she grimaced, “Then you do not know we met a team from Earth.”

“Which team?” Mel asked suspiciously, already sure he knew the answer.

“Dad,” Daniel’s voice answered his question as he walked over with Jack, Sam and Charlie, “I didn’t know you were here.”

Sha’re smiled as she watched father and son embrace quickly; Daniel seemed so relaxed now, so different from how he’d appeared the last time he was on Abydos.

“We should retire to my office for your report,” Kasuf told his daughter, “I am sure this will be interesting.



Daniel stood listening as Sha’re went through all the formalities surrounding his inheriting Hedron’s fortune on Abydos. Something he was a little astonished at, especially when she explained just how large it was.

It had taken the better part of a day to go through everything that had happened with Jack and Teal’c filling in what they’d been doing while Daniel and Sha’re had trekked across the planet. When they’d finished Sha’re explained who Hedron had been and how he’d bequeathed everything to Daniel who stood uncomfortably under Kasuf’s distrustful gaze as well as trying to ignore his father’s worried looks. Finally it was over and Sha’re led him here to register his new ship and lands.

“Are you alright?” she asked bringing him out of him musings.

“Fine,” Daniel assured her quickly, “Just got lost while you were talking.”

Sha’re smiled at him, “My people do love their procedure but this is necessary and doing it now ensures no problems any time you come here. That is,” she licked her lips, “If you wish to return.”

Daniel’s reply was interrupted as the clerk handed him paperwork to sign before rushing him out of the way. Sha’re took a seat as Daniel started to sign his name on the stack of forms he’d been given.

*********************************************

Jack finished his quick debriefing to Hammond and waited for the other man to speak.

“You want to what?”

Jack shrugged at the video screen, “He’s a good warrior and I think he’ll be able to teach us a lot. It’s just a year, General.”

“And Teal’c has agreed to this?” Hammond asked.

Jack nodded, “Actually when speaking with Kasuf we came up with a slight exchange program. Teal’c joins us for a year, studies our ways yadda yadda and Mel stays here.”

Hammond frowned for a second, “And the younger Dr Jackson hasn’t tried for that position.”

“Ah,” Jack hesitated before sighing, “Daniel isn’t coming back with us.”

“Colonel?”

Jack grimaced as every question filled that one word as well as the possibility of a lot of paperwork looming in his future.

“Daniel just inherited pretty much a fortune here on Abydos,” Jack explained, “It’s a long story but he also got in the deal the Pirate ship he was on.”

Hammond frowned even more and Jack could see a trip to a shrink in Daniel’s future the moment he stepped back on Earth, “Colonel, what exactly is he planning?”

“From the little he’s said,” Jack said, “I think he’s planning on doing a little sight-seeing. Sir, I think it’s what he needs and frankly I don’t think anyone will be able to stop him.”

Hammond nodded, “Tell him to have a good trip and that he always has a place in the SGC.”

Jack grinned, “I will. We’ll be home soon. O’Neill out.”

He watched the Stargate shut down, turned to the technician thanking him before he headed out to find the rest of his team.



Sam hugged Daniel who gave her a bright smile, “Take care of yourself, Daniel. And if you come across anything...”

“I’ll pass it on,” Daniel promised, “Thanks, Sam for everything.”

She grinned at him and squeezed his hand, “You know...”

“Carter,” Jack cut her off.

Charlie grabbed Daniel in a tight bear hug, “You know this means I’m stealing your locker.”

Daniel snorted, “I’ve booby trapped it. Try at your peril.”

Charlie laughed and clapped Daniel hard on the shoulder throwing him forward, Charlie snagged Sam’s arm and they left the room. Jack looked at the younger man standing across from him.

“So is Teal’c going to Earth?” Daniel asked, as he moved to the window so he could look out across the city.

Jack nodded, “Yep, we’re doing the exchange programme. Mel’s really excited about it.”

“Good,” Daniel smiled slightly, “Since Mom died he’s never gone out into the field. This will be good for him.”

“What about you?” Jack asked, leaning against the wall.

Daniel dropped his head, “Jack, I haven’t been comfortable on Earth since I got back. I can’t sleep and I just...”

“You have a knife under your pillow,” Jack finished for him, “I know.”

“The ship’s mine and I think its home,” Daniel told him, “For the moment at least until I can sort out my own head.”

Jack nodded, “Then take care of you and it,” he told him, he hugged the younger man tightly, “Be careful, Danny. Your father expects you home at some point,” as he let go and started out Jack turned back for a second, “So do I.”

*********************************************

Sha’re slid out from under the console allowing Daniel to pull her to her feet.

“That is everything repaired. You can leave tomorrow morning as planned,” Sha’re smiled up at him; “Be careful, Dan’iel. It can be dangerous out there,” she started walking off the bridge heading home relieved that she’d managed to say goodbye to him without losing control.

“Come with me,” Daniel’s voice startled her.

Sha’re spun, “What?”

Daniel walked to her, looking deep into her eyes, “Come with me. Travel with me. Show me the places you talked about.”

“I...” she breathed, shaking her head, “Dan’iel, I have my command and my life here. I cannot just drop it all.”

“Sha’re,” Daniel touched her chin, making her look up into his crystalline blue eyes once more, “I love you and I don’t want you to walk out of my life again,” he sighed brushing his lips to hers softly, “But I can’t stay here.”

Indecision filled her but after a few moments she shook her head again, “I cannot,” Sha’re whispered, pulling away from him, “I am sorry.”

Sha’re turned and rushed away, not wanting him to see the tears slipping along her cheeks. Sha’re ran to her apartment slamming the door shut before she collapsed onto her bed to cry.



“Danny,” Mel called stepping hesitantly onto the bridge, smiling as his son jumped out from under the main console.

“Dad,” Daniel grinned, he waved his hand around, “What do you think of my ship?”

Mel was amazed at how alive his son seemed now, “I like it.”

“Good,” Daniel sat down; he dropped his eyes for a few seconds and licked his lips, “Because I’m renaming it.”

Mel waited, he knew this behaviour from his son and it meant he was going to say something he wasn’t sure how it would be received.

“I’m calling it Stargazer.”

Mel felt his breath catch, Stargazer had been his nickname for his wife. He saw his son looking at him, waiting for his reaction.

“It’s the perfect name, Danny,” Mel told him, reaching out he clapped his son’s shoulder, “For all who may ‘sail’ in her,” he paused for a second before asking, “So is Sha’re going with you?”

“Are you looking forward to your year here?” Daniel changed the subject quickly, “Spending a full year immersed in a completely different culture, especially one so close to Egypt yet so technologically advanced...”

“Danny,” Mel cut him off.

Daniel stopped and sighed, “I thought she might actually come.”

Mel hated seeing Daniel’s happiness tainted by this but there was nothing he could do.

“I’ve still got a lot to do,” Daniel broke the silence, “Before I leave tomorrow.”

Mel nodded, “Make sure you get some sleep. And I’ll see you before you leave,” he reached out and pulled his son into his arms, hugging him furiously.

Daniel held onto his father, “Good. I love you, Dad.”

“Danny, you’ve no idea how much,” Mel whispered to his son, “You’ve no idea.”



Teal’c entered Sha’re’s house without knocking, he knew if he announced his presence she would refuse to see him. He found her sitting on the balcony, staring at the stars.

“What are you doing?” he demanded.

“Nothing,” Sha’re replied coldly.

Teal’c sat at her side, “I am going to Earth tomorrow to begin my year in O’Neill’s exchange program. I wanted to know where you are going.”

“Teal’c...”

“You care for him,” he cut her off, “More than you want to admit because you are afraid of showing anyone that you are not perfect. You need to take this chance, Sha’re. You need to follow your heart this time and not your head.”

Sha’re looked up at him, her friend, her confidant, her rock when she had doubted herself, “What if my heart is wrong?”

Teal’c rested his hand on her shoulder, “That is a chance you have to take.”



Daniel stood just outside the entrance to his ship; he loved that, finishing the paperwork for the Abydonian authority. He’d already said goodbye to his father and spoken briefly with Jack; now he was waiting for a few more minutes- just in case.

Finally he gave up; with a sigh he headed back into the ship to start his journey alone.

“Dan’iel!!”

He spun; finding her standing at the bottom of the ramp, a bag slung over her shoulder and a hopeful look in her eyes.

“Is your invitation still open?” she asked.

A grin spread across Daniel’s face and he motioned her to join him, “I thought you weren’t coming.”

“I am allowed to change my mind,” she smiled back at him, “Are we going?”

Daniel laughed; he hit the button to close the doors before they headed up to the bridge. Sha’re instantly slipped into the pilot’s seat, doing the pre-flight checks aware of his eyes on her.

“So,” Sha’re turned to him, “Where are we going?”

“Ah,” Daniel hesitated before turning and pointing, “That way.”

“That way?” Sha’re demanded, amusement in her voice.

Daniel shrugged, “You’re the one driving; choose somewhere interesting in that general direction.”

Sha’re laughed and nodded, “Alright, that way,” she set co-ordinates for a planet she knew in the direction Daniel had given her. Slowly the vessel lifted from the ground, Sha’re could see her parents along with Daniel’s father standing to one side and she smiled to herself knowing she was doing the right thing.

They reached orbit and Sha’re started the main engine, “You will like this planet, Dan’iel,” Sha’re said as they started their journey. She rose from her seat and walked to where he sat, “But it is ten hours away.”

Daniel stood to look at her, “What can we do for ten hours?”

Sha’re stepped closer to him until she was only inches away, looking up at him, “I am sure you can think of something, Dan’iel.”

Daniel looked down into her deep brown eyes, he reached out and took her face in his hands; his thumbs tenderly stroked her skin as he gently brushed his lips to hers.

“I love you too,” Sha’re breathed before she wrapped her arms around him and surrendered to her heart for the first time in her life.