Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

One More Day

by Jeremy Scott
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Teal'c and Carter moved through the wooded areas looking for any signs of caves. Carter wanted to find the caves badly enough, but moreover she wanted to find food and water. The supplies were likely to dwindle, and not knowing when Col. O'Neill and Daniel would be back made it that much more imperative. Teal'c took everything in his stride. He searched high and wide for the caves and for other rations he knew they'd need. His eyes ever remained sharp for any sort of animal life that could lead them to sources of food and water. The walk was long and very tedious looking for something they may or may not find. In a moments notice Teal'c stopped and was very still.

"Teal'c? What's wrong?" Carter asked.

"There is something watching us."

Her voice lowered very quickly, "Do you know where it's at?"

"I do not. It's now been alerted to our presence. We must make haste Major Carter."

The two of them started to walk quickly and decisively, Carter didn't like the idea of being stalked, although she knew that no one ever really does. In a moments notice, even at their quickened pace Teal'c pushed Carter to the ground and raised his Staff Weapon. There they saw a man standing over them with his hands raised and a frightened look upon his face.

"Please, don't harm me!!! I was merely trying to see who you were!" He started to cry.

"It's alright Teal'c, I'm Major Samantha Carter United States Air Force, this is Teal'c."

"I am Morana, I am of the Can'al."

"The Can'al? You are but legend."

"We are more than just legend friend, we are truly real."

"Can you explain that one to me Teal'c?"

"The race was a group of scientists, their ways made a huge civilization, which destroyed all of the plant life. Eventually it looked to be a danger to them so legend tells they constructed a device that would allow them to undo their mistakes. Many claimed that the Can'al died while reverting their planet back to beauty, others state that the were taken elsewhere to pay for the sins of their arrogance."

"We merely returned the planet back to nature and started to work with nature for our advances."

"Bottom line here is that you created a time machine of sorts to go back and stop your eventual destruction."

"Yes, but let us go and talk about this at our village. It is but a couple of miles by your reckoning."

"You know of Earth culture then?"

"We do, we have studied Terrans many of time."

Teal'c looked at Major Carter and raised an eyebrow. She gave him a look of some unease, but it seemed as if their choices were limited. So they again started to walk and this time to the village. Though there were a lot of questions on Carter's mind.

"So what did Apophis know of these Can'al?"

"He too knew of the legends. It was one of many planets he wanted to conquer. We never found it however."

 "Why not?"

"Such gate coordinates were not in Apophis' knowledge. The Goa'uld never visited this planet before, or at least none that ever came back. The Can'al possessed such advancements in their weaponry that it would make any Goa'uld powerful to have it in his cache."

Morana turned around. "It would have done Apophis little good to have found the weapon, it never would've operated for him."

"But it did for other Jaffa."

"What? How were they able to work the device?"

"Not to put too fine a point on this, but it wasn't the most complex piece of machinery I've ever witnessed. The control panel to it was relatively simple to figure out, especially since the language is based on an Earth dialect."

"We'd never considered that before. Did you stop these Jaffa from using the device?"

"No, we however escaped through the Stargate about the time the beam hit the sun."

"I see our ruse did little good."

"Ruse?"

"Yes, we placed down in the writings on the device that the Sun God would carry his children to a safe place and exact revenge upon their enemies."

"We understood it as far as the traveling to the Sun God, but that's about as far as it went."

 "What time are you from?"

 "We are from the year 2001."

"The future, it makes sense now. You followed our people here. There must've enough density in the crystal for one more flare. Albeit we have been here for 2 years now."

"The Jaffa could never find you this way, when attack is imminent you travel through time to escape them."

"How do you know when you'll end up? I mean you could throw yourself to the end of the universe."

"We control the solar bursts. A light to medium strength beam to put us at least 200 years in either direction of the time stream is safe enough."

 "A heavy beam is too erratic and would end up with another problem on top of that wouldn't it? The crystal would shatter and the beam would be entirely too strong. It would supernova the sun."

"Correct Major Carter. While we have planned contingencies for that, there are malfunctions to consider, and even tampering."

 "I assume you mean tampering from the inside."

 "If you mean my people, then yes."

A silence came over the three of them. Teal'c and Carter knew in their minds that if there was a threat of tampering from within that their safety could be in jeopardy. Again, that was nothing new to the two of them. However, since Col. O'Neill and Daniel were somewhere on Earth, they were all they had.

They arrived at the village and several people dressed in similar robes to Morana came walking up. Carter looked them over and all of them had a weird smile on their faces, almost like they expected to see them.

"Welcome to Can'al, I am Tor'ena leader of our people."

 "This is Major Samantha Carter and Teal'c, they come here from Terra."

"Terra? Interesting. But surely your Jaffa companion didn't originate their."

"Indeed I did not. I come from Chulak, and was First Prime to the dead false god, Apophis."

"Truly remarkable. Come and enjoy our hospitality, we have much to talk about."

"Actually, as much as it might interest us in doing so, we need to get back to the device. Two of our friends are on Earth trying to find a replacement crystal for the burnt out one so we can go back to our own time."

"You are not of this era?"

"We are not. We discovered the Jaffa on your world and it was abandoned of human life, they fired your time device we barely escaped through the Chaappa'ai."

"You're angry my friend, please calm yourself, we are no enemies."

"I am not angry, I am however in need of Kelnorim. Major Carter is in need of food and water. And our group collectively is in need of a crystal capable of sending us back home. We would appreciate your cooperation in this matter."

"You speak your mind Jaffa, I like that."

"Then allow me to speak it once more, the time to move is now. As soon as we have the materials necessary to the task we need to find our friends and then return ourselves to where we belong."

 Carter raised her voice to match Teal'c's. "What year is this by your reckoning?"

"This is the year 1995, by your reckoning Major Carter."

Carter nodded her head slowly. "If we could get those supplies we'd be grateful. Then when Col. O'Neill gets back we'd be more than glad to talk to him about our future trade."

"Thank you Major. We will get these things for you, but as to the crystal. We can send you to a place to get one."

"Thank you Tor'ena, we appreciate your understanding."

"Of course. We always like to help fellow travelers." Over the next hour the Can'al had food and lots of water brought to Carter and Teal'c. Both graciously accepted it as they looked over a map handed to them. They saw such names as `Lake of Harmony' and `Forest of Enlightenment.' The caves they looked for weren't too far from where they were, however it was a call of getting there and back before the rest of the team showed back up.

The two SG-1 members looked at each. Carter's face was less that thrilled with everything, a gut instinct that something was wrong, and Teal'c's stone face was as hard as ever. After they'd given themselves a bit of a chance to recuperate they made their thanks and started for the caves. Tor'ena walked up to Morana.

"Do you trust them?"

"I trust no one that is not Can'al."

"Why did you allow me to send them to the caves?"

"Because they won't expect us to attack. They think us to be mere meager scientists."

"HA HA HA!!! Then they are fools." The two laughed and plotted, but in the back a woman listened closely to the conversation.

Her sad and drawn face only seemed to become longer when she heard them. She and a few others of the Can'al believed that the people could be great, and though they were assured that there were good and just people amongst them, the leaders were less then scrupulous. Her name was Tal'nia; she was the daughter of the inventor that created the Time Dialer. She looked at her people and she knew that her father's invention could be perverted and these men were likely to be the start of the cancer. If they were to get any pertinent information from these strangers then they could likely start a conquest of planets. Since taking power they'd gained so much knowledge of Terra to begin with since their findings of old archives throughout time. But with these two here, what could they learn? And would it lead them to being worse that the Goa'uld. Tal'nia thought to herself for a moment. She knew what had to be done. She had to go and stop whatever harm was going to befall these two, and get them home before they were killed.

"I know you not strangers, but your very lives are not only in great danger. Your world's life hangs with it."