Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Episode #1 - Renegade

by LuckyFoot
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +


“I’m Dade Rojc.” said the Colonel to the nurse at the counter out of breath. “I’m here about Lauren Henderson. How is she?”

The nurse looked at the register and nodded. “Are you related?”

“I’m all she has in America. Most of her relatives are in England.” he answered irritation welling up. “How is she?”

“Do you have any proof of next of kin?”



“Listen and listen closely.” Rojc said calling on all the control he could. “I’m all the kin she has here in this bloody country. She came over here against the wishes of her family when I was stationed here. How-is-she?”

The venom from his voice made the nurse look around quickly and then pointed to a man in a lab coat. “That’s Doctor Bannon. He can help you.”

Spinning abruptly away from the counter he accosted the doctor. “Doctor, I’m Colonel Dade Rojc.”

“Ah, yes.” the doctor nodded. “Miss Henderson was just asking for you.”

“How is she? I can’t get a straight answer.”

“I’m sorry about that.” The doctor said. “It’s the law, but Lauren isn’t doing good at all.”

“What happened?”

“Well, from the police report, Miss Henderson was on the way to lunch with a friend of hers when a military humvee lost control from a flat tire and hit her on the sidewalk.”

“Lost…control.”

Doctor Bannon nodded, his brown eyes watching Rojc closely. “She’s suffering from a severe concussion, many broken bones and internal bleeding.”

A sharp pain of grief shot through Dade’s soul and he slowly sat down in one of the nearby plastic seats. “What are her chances, Doctor?”

“I’m sorry, Colonel, but I don’t think she’s going to make it. We’ve been doing everything in our power for over two hours and we haven’t been able to stabilize her.”

A tear formed in Dade’s eye, but he brushed it away roughly. “Can I see her?”

“We’ve got her in intensive care. Come with me.”

---------------------------

Jeremiah felt the sunlight and light hit his eyes as he stepped out of the event horizon of the stargate and was immediately assailed by screams of joy and cheers from the populace standing around the pedestal the gate sat on.

Waving flowers, wreaths, and hands, the adoring crowd pressed forward as close as they could before the helmeted Jaffa stepped in their way. He walked down the platform and waved at the crowd and felt like a movie star walking the red carpet. The people were genuinely happy to see him. He could tell that they were Jaffa from the tattoo on the forehead. He could not think of who the symbol was for.

Glancing down at himself he could see that he was wearing ornate armor and on his left hand was a Goa'uld hand device. Once he feet touched the ground, he was immediately flanked by Jaffa soldiers…his soldiers.

In the back conscious of Jeremiah’s mind, he knew he was dreaming and it was not his dream. He was witnessing and remembering something that had happened to Tanis a long time ago.

The crowd parted for him as he started walking down the dirt path with shady blossoming trees. A city was looming up ahead and a party of more Jaffa awaited for him in the entrance.

The man in the center was a strong looking warrior, his forehead marked with a gold vertical bar. Stace knew he was the First Prime of Tanis.

“My Lord, we are honored that you have come to us again.” the man said kneeling in respect.

“Solik, my friend.” Tanis said putting his hand out to help his friend back up. “It is my honor to come visit you here with your family. I have promised to make a tour of the worlds under my control and I thought to start with this place.”

The Jaffa bowed his head in respect. “Thank you, My liege. The city is excited that their leader has returned to them.”

Tanis nodded again and looked around. Jeremiah was shocked to see genuine admiration, not the fear that the Goa'uld usually inspired. Tanis began walking again and a child pushed through the crowd. Tanis scooped her up in his arms and smiled.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Tavith.” the little girl said with a big grin. She held out a large electric blue flower. “This is for you, my hero.”

Jeremiah felt a shiver of satisfaction and acceptance wash over him as if being really loved was a shock. He put the little girl back down and taking a gold chain from around his neck, put it around the girl.

“And this is for the most beautiful girl on Vehada.”

The little girl looked at the necklace and squealed in delight.

“Love live Lord Tanis!” someone shouted in the crowd and the rest picked it up. “Long live the P’Nai!”

At that, Jeremiah jerked his head off of the cafeteria table with a jolt as someone laid a hand on his shoulder. He glanced around quickly and saw a young woman standing there. Quickly shaking his head to clear the thoughts from his head he recognized Captain Walker.

“Sorry to bother you, sir.” said Amanda who had taken a step back from his jolting awake.

“Captain.” Jeremiah said shifting in his seat. “No problem. I was just…resting.”

“I know, “ she answered with a smile. “You were snoring.”

Jeremiah opened his mouth to contradict, but Tanis spoke in his mind. ‘You were Tau‘ri. I hope that isn’t a habit you are accustomed too.’ Major Stace willed the symbiote to shut up.

“Sir.” Amanda said sitting down at the table. “I wanted to apologize.”

“For, Captain?” Jeremiah asked reaching for his cold cup of coffee.

“My words on the way to General Hammond’s office. Sergeant Siler explained to me what had happened and I feel really bad that I said those things to you. What you are going through now is horrible and I don’t want to add any more salt to the burns so--”

Jeremiah interrupted before she got started. “You had no way of knowing, Captain. Have you met Colonel Rojc yet?”

“No, sir. Colonel O’Neill told me that he quickly left for the hospital. I don’t know what for.”

Concern knitted Jeremiah’s brow as he wondered about his friend.

Amanda opened her mouth to speak again when Jeremiah stood cutting her off. “Thank you, Captain.”

He turned and walked out of the cafeteria.

----------------------

“Lauren?”

The word was quiet and softly melded into the sounds of beeping from the heart monitor and other equipment in the room. The form covered in a white bed sheet was still and Dade looked at the face of the woman that he loved.

Wearing an oxygen mask and her hair still messed up from the accident, Rojc softly caressed her head putting the stray strands of her brown hair back in place. He bit back the tears as his girl friend laid there. Every thought in his head was trying to find a way to save her. The very thought of hijacking a sarcophagus from the Goa’uld or involving one of the many advanced races had crossed his mind, but he knew that command would never agree, even at the cost of a human life.

‘Of course not. To top secret. Those bloody Americans consider their project to important to save someone not connected.’ he thought bitterly.

Rojc sat back in the straight back chair and looked at the ceiling with his eyes closed.

“Dade?” a weak voice called out.

Colonel Rojc opened his eyes and looked earnestly toward the bed. Lauren’s blue eyes were open and looking at him.

“Doctor!” he called and grasped her hand as she reached for him.

“Dade.” she repeated. “Is that you?”

“Yes, sweetheart, it’s me.” he answered soothingly. “The doctor is coming.”

Lauren repeated his name again and looked back toward the ceiling.

Doctor Bannon came in and stood to the side as Dade continued to speak.

“You’ll be alright, Lauren.” he said with a smile on his face, but she seemed to not notice. The girl looked back toward him.

“Will you be alright without me?” she asked.

“No.” Dade answered a tear coming to his eye. “I’ll miss that cup of tea you make me when I come home and those evening dinners. You can’t go now.”

She smiled and squeezed his hand. “I have to go.”

“No.” Rojc said. “You can’t. Just hang in there. The doctor knows what he is doing.”

“He can’t help.” she said weakly. “and I know you would do everything in your power to help me, but it’s not enough.”

“Lauren, don’t talk like that. You’ll be fine if you just keep smiling and hang in there.”

The girl was silent for a moment and then turned to face him again. Her eyes had become clear again and she focused them on his. “Dade, I love you. I always will.”

“Lauren….” Dade started.

The girl closed her eyes and the heart meter began it’s low whine as the jagged line on the screen turned straight. Colonel Rojc closed his eyes and a tear slid down his cheek. He kissed the girl on the forehead.

“I love you too, sweetheart. I always shall.”

------------------------------

The plan was becoming more stable in Jeremiah’s mind and Tanis had begun to acknowledge it’s potential.

‘You are risking a lot if you choose this path.’ Tanis said inside Major Stace’s mind. ‘Your superiors would not understand your motives.’

“Nor would they understand you.” Jeremiah said low under his breath. “In the mind of the SGC is that there are Goa’uld and Tok’ra nothing else. Since you’re not Tok’ra, you and I would spend the rest of our lives in a cell or on some N.I.D. experimentation table.”

‘You’re people have some interesting similarities to the System Lords.’ Tanis mused.

“How so?” Jeremiah said entering his room and ripping a piece of paper from his notebook.
‘You will do anything in your power to learn from your enemy and beat him. Your species is as quick to destroy and capture a symbiote as the Goa’uld are for taking technology, slaves, and worlds for their own. The only difference is size and magnitude.’

“You sound like you agree with them.” Jeremiah growled as he began scribbling notes, but only stopped to notice that he was writing them in Goa’uld. “Tanis!”

He felt the mirth come from Tanis. ‘Not totally my doing, Tau’ri. Our memories have blended and our knowledge crosses both bridges of our minds. You must pay attention to what you do as much as I must not act on reflex and override your movements for my own. It is not easy for both of us.’

“Is that what that was at the cafeteria?” Jeremiah asked as he crumbled up the paper and threw it in the trash can. He consciously watched the next sheet of paper and made sure it was in English.

‘Yes.’ Tanis answered. ‘That dream of yours was my visit to Vehada a hundred of your years ago. I believe that being among the people would give more face to my presence and there for solidify my control over the Jaffa. It limit’s the amount of rebels a planet produces.’

Jeremiah chuckled. “Arrogant and imperialist aren’t we.”

‘Maybe to your species I am.’

“I guess that blending you refer to works both ways. I felt that happiness of being accepted when you picked up that little girl. You don’t fool me.” Jeremiah snickered to himself.

Tanis sent a disgruntled feeling and went silent leaving Jeremiah with his thoughts.

With the symbiote finally silent, Jeremiah concentrated on the paper and drafted out a quick sketch of his plan. It would be dangerous for only one man to do it, but it was the only way that he and his onboard pal would be able to kill the woman that murdered their loves.