Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I’m finally able to write again after being ill. I am starting work on the next part.
Enjoy
Carson sighed as he checked to see how many people he had still to see from the Colony and found it was a lot. There were only two doctors and Janet was busy with Daniel’s hypnosis leaving him to do this alone.

“Carson,” Laura Cadman called as she walked in with another young woman, also a redhead at her side.

“Yes, love,” he smiled warmly at her, “I hope this isn’t an emergency. I’m trying to get through all the medicals of Major Ferretti’s people.”

“Which is why I’m here,” Laura grinned at him, “Meet Jennifer Keller,” she pointed to the woman at her side, “Dr Jennifer Keller. She was the one who patched me up.”

“Another doctor?” Carson asked, astonished at such a welcome blessing.

Jennifer shrugged, “Yep.”

“Welcome,” Carson smiled, he placed an arm on her shoulder, “You can start as soon as you’re ready.”

Laura laughed as Carson mouthed a thank you to her before she left them to continue their work.



Laura headed along the corridors to meet up with John so that they could go over new patrol schedules now they had a few more people that could help. Lost in her own thoughts she didn’t see Rodney until he tapped her on her shoulder.

“Hey,” she smiled; still amazed to see him now walking and acting as though he’d never had the implant.

“Haven’t seen you in a while,” Rodney told her, “Are you avoiding me?”

Laura was a little surprised by his question, “Why would I be avoiding you, Rodney? I just thought you’d be glad not to have me hanging around annoying you all day. Besides now you don’t need me anymore, John has me working on some projects of my own now.”

“Oh,” was all Rodney said.

“I have to go,” Laura told him, “I know you have things to do.”

“Yeah,” Rodney murmured, he hesitated before catching her arm, “I just wanted to say...that...well thank you. For everything you did for me when I was...you know.”

Laura dropped her eyes, “It was...well...” she looked up at him, “I owed you.”

Quickly before he could say any more, Laura left Rodney standing. He watched her leave feeling his stomach turn as he realised she’d only been there for him over the months because she felt guilty.

Starting back to his lab, Rodney was so lost in his own thoughts that he didn’t see the woman walking towards him until he slammed into her.

“Sorry,” he murmured automatically, wanting to get back to his lab as fast as possible so he could lose himself in his work and forget.

“Don’t worry,” the woman smiled at him, “I wasn’t watching where I was going,” she looked at him for a few moments, “You’re Doctor Rodney McKay.”

Rodney frowned, “How do you know that?”

“We used to work together...well not together,” she explained with a shy smile, “But I was one of the botanists in Area 51. I’m Katie Brown.”

Rodney looked at her for a second, red hair, green eyes and pretty, Rodney decided that dwelling on Laura and the pretence of a relationship was stupid so he took her hand, “Nice to meet you, Katie.”

*********************************************

Sam saw the man lying on the ground and dropped to check if he was alive or not. Finding a pulse which faded she moved to give him CPR. As he grabbed her, Sam felt something wriggle into her mouth before sharp pain before blood filled her mouth. She heard the Colonel yelling at her and was soon through the Gate.

Sam walked through the corridors to the locker room feeling strange after her medical exam, as she entered the empty room – now the female locker room- Sam felt something inside her.

Knowledge flooded her brain and she staggered at the weight of it.

“Well,” Sam murmured as she moved to stand in front of a mirror, “A Goa’uld...no wait, you’re Tok’ra.”

Panic came from the creature inside her and confusion that made Sam smile, “How do you know what I am?”

“I am not what you think,” Sam told her, “I didn’t even know until this moment, it’s thanks to you that I know.”

Horror filled the Tok’ra, “No. You cannot be.”

Sam closed her eyes and managed to squeeze the symbiote until it squealed; “Now I need some information.”



Sam watched the Ashrak with amusement, pretending once more to be Jolinar and trumpet the wonder of the Tok’ra cause. The device that it aimed at her was powerful but Sam managed to push it all onto the symbiote, enjoying its cries as it was tortured. As the Ashrak left, Sam pretended to fold to the ground and waited for the medical team to arrive. She could feel Jolinar clinging onto life, desperately trying to hold on so that she could warn the others but Sam was stronger, much stronger now that she knew who she was.

Feeling the Tok’ra die, Sam relaxed back on the bed.

She had always felt out of place and unsure but now...now she knew who she was and where her destiny lay.




“We have been reviewing your progress on the project for reducing their fertility,” Ithin told Sam.

She stared at the projection of the Andurian High Commander, “And?”

“And it appears to be ahead of schedule,” he replied, “You have that at least in hand.”

Sam bristled slightly but managed to retain her blank expression, “Now I have removed the incompetent from my ranks we will make more progress in finding O’Neill.”

“You know you should have killed him a long time ago,” Ithin reminded her.

“Unfortunately that would have raised suspicion and hampered our plans for taking over Earth,” Sam replied, “I have several leads on where he and Daniel are now, once I find them then work can begin again on discovery of the Ancient’s Lost City.”

“What about the power source?” Ithin asked, “You had one working on that also.”

“Rodney McKay,” Sam rolled her eyes, “I’m sure he is with O’Neill. We’ll get them both and we will find our way there.”

Ithin nodded, “Continue with your projects. I want the location of the city so we can take what they stole from us.”

“Of course, High Commander,” Sam nodded before scowling as the screen went blank.

Now she had to find the irritants that were screwing with her destiny.

*********************************************

“I know what that is,” John noted as he passed the drawing Daniel had done under hypnosis on to Ferretti.

“Really?” Jack asked, as everyone else stared at John.

“Yes,” Ferretti crowed and punched the air, “I knew it was important.”

“Knew what was important?” Sha’re was the one to ask, as usual she sat at Daniel’s side with Jack on her other side. Rodney and Janet completed the group sitting around the table.

Ferretti grinned at her, “When we raided one of the Zombie’s warehouses not long after I took over the group we came across a whole load of things they’d brought with them. I just knew this,” he tapped the drawing, “Would be important.”

“Does this mean we have it?” Sha’re said hopefully.

Ferretti and John nodded in unison.

Silence descended on the room as they all took in what had just been said.

“I need to study it,” Rodney spoke up, “And work out how to connect it to the Gate but otherwise...”

“We’ve got everything we need,” Daniel finished, a grin spreading across his face, “We’ve got our way to Atlantis.”



Ferretti muttered to himself as he hunted through the items they’d rescued from the Colony, he had always thought what they’d taken was important but it had never crossed his mind that it would be this important.

“Hey,” Jack leaned against the door, “Any luck?”

“I know it’s here,” Ferretti told him, “John put it with everything else, I just have to find...aha.”

He grinned and held up his prize, “Here we go.”

Jack nodded and led him along the corridors to where Rodney and Jennie where waiting for the device.

“You got all this from the Tok’ra?” Ferretti noted as they walked.

Jack nodded, “After we told Daniel what was going on we took a quick detour to where they’d hid a lot of this stuff. Jacob gave me it and showed me how to use it while he went looking for the other Tok’ra.”

“So you and Teal’c set up this group,” Ferretti nodded, he grimaced as he saw the look on Jack’s face, “Sorry.”

“No,” Jack waved his apology away, “We got as many of the SGC as possible who we knew were distrustful of Carter and her new friends and kept recruiting as best we could. It was losing Hammond that forced a lot of them into action. Walter was killed getting us information on several scientists Carter was trying to get a hold of a few months after. When we recruited John he gave us everything we needed to get Daniel back, and T’s last words to me before we started the mission was that he didn’t matter, all that mattered was getting Daniel out.”

Ferretti stared at him, “He sacrificed himself.”

Jack sighed, “That was our Teal’c.”

Ferretti frowned, “You think he’s dead?”

“I think,” Jack replied, “That if he wasn’t, she’d have found a way to gloat.”

When they reached the lab, Rodney was waiting and eagerly but gently took the crystal device from Ferretti. He nodded quickly at the two of them but other than that said nothing and walked over to the equipment he had set up.

“Thank you, Colonel,” Jeannie said for her brother.

Jack grinned at her, “Give me an update in five hours unless you have something before then.”

She nodded and quickly crossed the small room to join her brother.

*********************************************

Sha’re sat with a list of everyone they now had within the resistance base, she was trying to see if there was anyone within the base with skills they needed. Now that they had the co-ordinates to Atlantis and a possible power-source then going there was now a more reachable goal Sha’re had volunteered to go over what Jack jokingly called the passenger manifest.

Her computer skills had grown quickly over the years she’d been on Earth, especially in the creation of the database of all their people – although it was Rodney who created what he termed a kill switch. Jack had started her on it as a diversion to the despair she’d felt at Daniel’s incarceration and the loss of her child.

Recently thought she had been given names and brief description of skills by Ferretti and now she had to go through each so that if...when, she reminded herself, when they reached their new base everyone was utilised to the best of their ability.

“Hey,” John appeared at her side.

“Is something wrong?” Sha’re asked, knowing he was meant to be working with Jack concerning their plan.

“I wanted to check out some of the names of the new guys,” he told her, “We need more people with weapons training of any kind.”

“Let me check,” Sha’re told him, starting a new search in the database. “I have a few,” she told him, quickly printing out the list and handing it to him, “All of those we were told had some kind of military or weapons training.”

John grinned at her, “Thanks,” he threw over his shoulder before disappearing leaving her to work again.



Daniel finished going over his notes, just making sure he was right before heading through the corridors – avoiding the kids running past him so he could get to his meeting with Jack. As he walked to the room Jack had claimed as an office, he passed by his wife’s small office and stopped for a moment to watch her work. Her dark brown eyes were focussed intently on the screen in front of her, her fingers tapped across the keyboard while every so often she pushed a stray curl away from her eyes making him smile.

She didn’t realise how often he did this, just watch her engrossed in her own projects but after everything that had happened to them it made him thankful for what he had. After a few moments he slipped away and entered Jack’s office.

“Danny,” Jack grinned when he saw him, “Actually on time for once.”

“You’re a riot, Jack,” Daniel threw back as he dropped into the seat across from his friend.

Jack smiled briefly before becoming serious, “I wanted to go over this with you before taking it to the rest of them.”

Daniel nodded, “Sure.”

Jack took a deep breath, he hated being in charge and missed Hammond but he had no choice.

“There are two possibilities for doing this,” Jack stated, “The Gate in Washington...”

“Too open,” Daniel instantly noted, “No way to get in and out without being seen with too high a possibility of casualties.”

“Exactly,” Jack smiled at Daniel’s knowledge, “Or home sweet home.”

“Cheyenne Mountain,” Daniel nodded.

“Best thing is, it’s been sealed off as one of the Zombies main bases,” Jack told him, “We know the layout and it’s underground.”

Daniel nodded.

“The plan, so far,” Jack continued, “Is we make the tunnels so that they intersect with the base. McKay will have a way to connect our power source to the Gate...”

Daniel listened intently as his friend explained his plan, Jack finished finally and waited.

“What?”

“There is one major flaw in your plan, Jack,” Daniel noted.

“Which is?” Jack asked, knowing exactly what his friend was about to say.

Daniel grimaced, “We’ll need the codes for the computer and the only way we can get them is...”

“In Carter’s office in the ‘Educational Complex’,” Jack finished for him, “I know. That’ll be my job.”

“Jack...”

“Daniel.”

“You can’t,” Daniel snapped, “We need you, you’re our leader.”

Jack reached out and squeezed his friend’s shoulder, “That’s why I have to do it. Besides there’s someone else much more suited to leading than me.”

Daniel stared at him in horror, “Not me.”

“Hell no,” Jack laughed, “But you are married to her.”

“Sha’re?”

“She was raised to lead, Daniel,” Jack reminded him, “Not to mention it’s due to her we have half the people here. All she needs is advisors to help her which is where you, John and Ferretti come in.”

“Jack...”

“You have to trust me, Daniel,” Jack cut him off; “I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I haven’t told any of you about. Besides this isn’t something I can ask someone else to do.”

Daniel nodded, “I guess.”

Jack took a deep breath, “Hopefully McKay will have something for us soon and we can actually do more than talk about this.”

Daniel nodded again absently, trying to think of another way to get the codes because losing Jack would be something he didn’t want to happen.