Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing this epic that was never meant to be this long.
I have been writing this for so long now I’m wondering what it’s going to be like now I don’t have to.
Yes, this is the final chapter and at the moment I have no plans for either a sequel or any other stories in this universe but never say never.
Thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed this, I didn’t answer almost all reviews for this story as I didn’t want to accidentally give away anything.
Hope this doesn’t disappoint.
Sha’re sat going through reports as she absently moved the small stroller containing her son back and forth with her foot. She was doing her best to focus on anything but what was happening on Earth right now. There had to be some news soon, she hoped there would because she couldn’t take this waiting much longer.

Sha’re jumped as Lisa knocked on the door before nodding, “Come in.”

Lisa gave a quick smile down at the nearly sleeping little boy, “Just to let you know your two o’clock has been cancelled.”

Sha’re shook her head slightly, “People seem to be avoiding me at the moment.”

“I think everyone is on edge,” Lisa replied taking the spare seat, “And we all know how hard this is for you.”

Sha’re dropped her eyes for a second thinking of not only her beloved husband, dear friends but she’d also sent many citizens of the beautiful city that had saved them into a fight.

“I’m going to get back to work,” Lisa told her, “You’ve got some free time, you should take Mel for a walk.”

“You’re right,” Sha’re replied decisively before looking down at her baby boy who was fighting sleep, “Come on, baby.”

As she walked out of her office Sha’re thought how much she hated that people kept cancelling meetings because they didn’t want to overwhelm her just now but she needed the distraction. Until she knew what had happened she needed to be able to focus on something.

Every so often the horrible thought would enter her mind that she’d lost Daniel again but she reminded herself that she was sure that if something did happen to him then she would know.

“Your father will call soon,” Sha’re whispered to her sleeping child before saying it again to try and convince herself, “He will call soon.”


“Sha’re.”

Sha’re jumped a little as Lisa’s voice came through her earpiece, she wasn’t sure how long she’d been sitting here as Mel slept, only knowing that Jeannie had joined her a short time after she’d sat down. They hadn’t spoken and hadn’t moved since then.

“Yes?” Sha’re replied hoping this wasn’t an emergency; she really couldn’t take that just now.

“Daniel’s calling,” the excited voice of her assistant made her gasp.

“Say that again,” Sha’re demanded as Jeannie looked at her confused.

“The Gate just dialled and Daniel is on the other side of the radio,” Lisa confirmed, “Waiting to talk to you.”

Sha’re bounced up shifting her son to her shoulder before grabbing her friend’s arm with her free hand, “We’re on our way.”

“Hey,” Jeannie called as she was dragged along, “What’s wrong?”

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re cried with a smile, “He is on the radio.”

Jeannie pulled her friend to a halt, “Okay, give me Mel.”

“What?”

“Before he gets shaken awake give him to me and I’ll follow on,” Jeannie told her before taking the small bundle from Sha’re, “Go.”

With a smile Sha’re ran towards the Gateroom.


Lisa motioned Sha’re over to the console when she burst into the room where she suddenly saw her husband smiling back at her.

“Hey,” he greeted with a grin.

“Dan’iel,” she breathed, relief filling her at seeing him looking whole and healthy, “What happened?”

“We won,” Daniel told her solemnly before adding quickly, “We’re working on a list of the casualties, I’ll bring it with me tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” Sha’re asked aware that Jeannie had finally arrived with her son, she gave a brief nod of thanks as he was passed back into her arms still fast asleep.

“We’re taking care of a few things first,” Daniel told her, “Then I have to go see your father as I promised.”

“Thank you,” she sighed before moving Mel slightly so Daniel could see him, “He misses you.”

Daniel smiled at the peaceful face of his son, “I miss him too.”

“What about the others?” Jeannie interrupted anxious for news from her loved ones.

“John will be coming back with me,” Daniel assured her, “He’s catching up with his family just now. Rodney and Laura are staying on earth for the moment – they’re meeting Laura’s family. I’m thinking of bribing Caldwell to record it.”

“I’ll chip in,” Jeannie chuckled.

Daniel laughed as well, “I’ll bring back information on any casualties and the information concerning when the Star is coming back as well as anything else the council needs. But I have to go. I’m getting signalled my time is up,” he stared at his wife holding his son for a moment before pressing two fingers to his lips and holding it up to the camera, “Love you and I’ll see you soon.”

“I love you too,” Sha’re replied repeating the gesture before the Stargate shut down and the screen went blank.

*********************************************

Jack chuckled as the Stargate shut down, “You didn’t tell her?”

“Yeah, I’m going to tell her I found our daughter and she has to wait a day to hold her,” Daniel rolled his eyes at his friend before moving over to the stroller sitting at Jack’s side, “Hey, sweetie let’s go see your grandfather.”

“And you’re taking her to Abydos with you?” Jack asked.

Daniel nodded as he lifted Lily into his arms smiling as she giggled, “I’m not letting her out of my sight. Besides I want to let Kasuf meet her since he won’t get to meet Mel for a while.”

Turning to the technician sitting at the Gate Jack nodded telling him to start the sequence. Daniel wrapped a blanket around his daughter to keep her warm when going through the Gate before turning to his friend, “I’ll see you tomorrow morning,” he said clapping his friend on the shoulder before walking through to see his father-in-law.

Jack watched as the Gate closed down before sighing, he had another meeting to go to.


“Did they get away okay?” Janet asked as she joined Jack when he left the Gateroom.

Jack nodded, “And Sha’re is aware we won. Though with all these meetings I’m beginning to think that it might have been better if we’d found some other way to do it.”

Janet patted his arm in mock sympathy, “It’s a hard life being in charge.”

“I’m not…”

“Sha’re isn’t here,” Janet reminded him as they entered the meeting room where the next hour was going to be spent, “And you’re the one in charge of our team.”

“How did John and Jacob get to miss this?” Jack demanded.

Janet chuckled as she slid into her seat, “Just luck.”

Jack sat beside her, reaching out he squeezed her hand, “Have you thought any about where you’re going to stay?”

“Atlantis is home,” Janet told him, “And I can’t wait to get back. And we all know you’ll be there too.”

Jack shrugged, “It’s not like there’s anything left for me here. My family are on Atlantis, besides I think they’re going to try and put me in charge of something here. Not a chance in hell am I being put in charge of anything.”

Janet nodded in agreement as the other members of the meeting began to file in.

*********************************************

Rodney felt Laura bouncing nervously at his side as they waited. Steven was bringing her family and Laura was trying so hard not to run. She had known that she would have to face them sooner or later but as the time came closer her fear was becoming more and more overwhelming.

“They’re going to be happy to see you,” Rodney reminded her as he pulled her to him, “Trust me.”

Laura nodded, her face resting against his shoulder.

“You know that’s the shoulder I was shot through?” Rodney asked chuckling as she jerked back.

“Bastard,” she muttered, smiling that he’d managed to distract her for a few moments.

Rodney hugged her frowning as the warning Laura’s family were outside came through his earpiece.

“It’s time,” he whispered wrapping his arm around her tightly as they watched the door open.


Laura watched the door open, feeling Rodney’s arm protectively around her as she came face to face with her mother and father.

“Laura?” her mother cried in amazement turning to her father.

“Steven?” her father demanded of his friend.

“Greg, April,” Steven stated softly, “Its Laura. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before but it was for your own safety.”

Slipping out from under Rodney’s arm Laura moved forward slowly towards them.

“Mom,” Laura whispered wishing they’d move to her or talk to her but they seemed frozen, “Dad.”

Suddenly April Cadman stepped forward and wrapped her arms around her daughter joined quickly by Greg. Laura realised that they were both crying. After several minutes they parted and Laura found herself staring into her mother’s eyes.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, “But I…I…” her voice cracked and Rodney moved to her side resting his hand on her shoulder.

“Laura did it to protect you,” Rodney stated softly, “And she saved my life in the process.”

As everyone turned to look at him Laura smiled slightly seeing Rodney take the slightest step back uncomfortable at being under so much scrutiny.

“Mom, Dad, this is Dr Rodney McKay,” Laura introduced him, “My fiancé and as he said, the reason I faked my death.”

“How about we sit down and hear the full story,” Greg took charge resting his arm around his wife.

Relief filled Laura and she took the seat beside Rodney as her parents took a seat on the other couch barely noticing as Steven left the room though she did see the smile on his face.

*********************************************

John sat in the conservatory of the house he’d grown up in, David and Patrick in the other seats as they chatted.

It was so bizarre.

John had spent years trying to get away from here, and in the time before he did the three of them could barely be in the same room without an argument. Now they were sitting around discussing anything and everything they could think of.

“When are you going back to Atlantis?” David asked finally.

John shrugged, “Tomorrow. I’m returning with Daniel so we can start organising those who want to come back to Earth either for a visit or for good. We’ve also got a long list of people who want to come to the city.”

“We’re on that list,” Patrick told him.

“And my future sister-in-law?” John asked his brother.

David laughed, “And I can meet Jeannie.”

“Well I’ll put a good word in with Sha’re about getting you to Atlantis,” John told them with an amused smile before tilting his head thoughtfully, “Actually, now we’re in contact with Earth we’re going to need some backing.”

“You want to be the Sheppard Industries liaison?” Patrick asked stunned.

John shrugged, “It could be a good job.”

Patrick chuckled, “We’ll look into it.”

Before they could continue John’s radio beeped, he moved away from his father and brother for a second talking quickly.

“Daniel’s back,” John told them, “I’ve got to head to the ship to go over everything.”

Patrick moved and hugged his son, “I’m proud of you.”

John basked in the affection from his father for a second before activating his transponder; he gave a quick wave as the bright light surrounded him taking him back to the Star.

*********************************************

Sha’re watched the Stargate dial as she held Mel tightly to her, Jeannie at her side. As the Gate burst open the shield was activated.

“Daniel’s code has come through,” Peter announced.

“Remove the shield,” Sha’re said with a soft sigh.

There was a pause and then Daniel’s voice came through the radio, “Sha’re, are you holding Mel.”

“Of course I am,” she replied a little bemused sharing a confused look with Jeannie.

“I need you to have your hands free,” Daniel told her, “Give him to Lisa.”

Sha’re chuckled softly at her husband before handing her son to her assistant who appeared at her side quickly.

“My arms are now free,” Sha’re told him with an amused smile.

The wormhole rippled before Daniel and John appeared, both women took a step forward before they stopped as they saw the baby girl Daniel was carrying close to him.

“Dan’iel?” Sha’re gasped, her hand flying to her mouth as she stared at the child in astonishment.

Daniel grinned as he moved to his wife, “Sha’re, I want you to meet your daughter.”

“Lily?” her amazed whisper echoed through the suddenly silent room.

Daniel passed Lily to her mother then quickly replaced his daughter with his son before gently touching Sha’re’s arm and moving them all up to the conference room.

As the Atlantis first family moved away from the Gateroom John reached out and pulled Jeannie into a tight embrace before they followed on.


Sha’re sat staring at her daughter, checking her as she drank the bottle of milk Daniel produced from the bag he’d brought with him.

“Thor checked Lily,” Daniel told her softly as he cuddled Mel, “She’s completely healthy and there’s nothing we need to worry about.”

“I just…” she trailed off before managing to focus, “Tell me everything that happened and what needs to happen next.”

Daniel shook his head, “In a minute.”

Confused Sha’re watched Daniel hand Mel to John before he took Lily from her and passed her to Jeannie.

“Dan’iel?” Sha’re stood to face him, she didn’t get a chance to ask him what he was doing as she found herself wrapped in her husband’s arms receiving a deep passionate hello kiss.

When they parted Daniel grinned at her, “Okay, it’s a long story.”

Taking their seats and their children back, Daniel began the story of what happened on Earth.

*********************************************

“This is Sha’re Jackson,” the strong voice of the city’s leader echoed through the city and across the mainland, “As many of you are aware we received word that the Andurians have been removed from Earth. The planet that many of our citizens call home has now been freed. We lost people, our friends and family during this fight for freedom. A list of those killed or injured will be available soon. I can only offer my sympathies to the relatives of those who lost their lives. The days that follow will be filled with decisions for all of us. There will be those amongst us who wish to return to Earth for good, some will wish to visit and others may have families wishing to join them here. Please know that although these options are available it will take time before everything will be organised and I ask for your patience. No matter what happens from now on we will always be held together by the trials we have suffered at the hands of the Andurians these past few years. I wish also to thank you for all your hard work and dedication in freeing Earth. We have our future back and I encourage everyone to focus on that.


Turning off the PA system Sha’re lifted her son from his crib walking to join Daniel and Lily on the balcony. Sitting at her husband’s side she smiled as Daniel’s arm slid around her waist and as Sha’re rested her head against her husband’s shoulder the family sat together watching the fireworks as the people of Atlantis celebrated.