Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for the beta.
Apologies both for how long it has taken for this chapter to be written as well as how short it is but real life, NaNo and a huge case of writer’s block meant I just couldn’t finish this until now.
Hopefully this time next year I’ll be finished with this but until then have a Happy New Year and enjoy.
The sun was shining as he walked through the city streets, heading to a meeting that he hoped would be the last of its kind. The street was filled with the usual people wandering round to work or home or play with the odd Andurian making their appearance looking as benign as they wanted everyone to believe. With his hands stuffed in his pockets and the slight shuffle walk he had no one really noticed him as he moved through the dusty streets.

Sliding his way through the doorway of the library Pete Shanahan hoped that this time next week their world would be free.


“Are we sure they’re coming?” someone asked.

Pete watched the man, known only as Davis, who was taking the meeting. He raised his head slightly so he could see who had called out.

“I know Jack O’Neill,” Davis called back, “And if he says he’s coming then he is coming. If you want to be free again, if you want your children to grow up in a world where they can have their own kids, then this is the only way it will happen.”

“What’s the plan?” Pete spoke up.

Davis turned to him, “I can’t give specifics just yet. We can’t be too careful and you all know the reason why. We know how to contact you and we will, with instructions before the day but until then you have to act as normal.”

There were a few murmurs of dissatisfaction moving through the crowd so Pete spoke up again.

“We’ll be ready,” Pete spoke up resting his hand on the shoulder of the man beside him trying to convey camaraderie, “All of us, so we can get our real lives back.”

Davis looked a little stunned as this was greeted by cheers and nods at Pete’s statement before he nodded to them and left.


“Thanks.”

Pete jumped as Davis appeared beside him on his way out of the library, “They’re scared and the fact you can’t give them details makes them nervous.”

“I can only give them so much,” Davis replied, “It’s all I know at the moment.”

Pete frowned slightly at this revelation.

“I’m just a soldier,” Davis told him, “I take my orders from someone else, Detective. But what I can tell you is he has been in contact with O’Neill’s people and they are on their way here. They’ll be in Earth’s orbit very soon.”

Pete nodded, “It’s good to know. I knew her brother, I was one of the first people there when he and his family were killed and I saw the smirk on her face when she knew that Mark, Kat and the kids were dead.”

Davis said nothing for several minutes, watching the sadness slide across the other man’s face.

“I worked with the SGC,” Davis said, “I knew her when she was a member of SG1 and I trusted her. The day I discovered evidence that told me she was the one responsible for the death of General George Hammond was the day I began fighting against her.”

Without another word Davis headed back inside the building leaving Pete standing alone.


Patrick sat going over the details of the reception for the Asgard visit. Once he’d finished this he’d have to work on the other plans he had for kicking the aliens off their world. He wanted it to be over; he wanted to know that both his sons were safe and well. He wanted to close his eyes at night without the worry that Carter would find out he was her enemy.

“Patrick,” Paul said as he walked in and dropped onto a seat, “Everyone has been given their instructions. Dr Carter will happy with everything I’m sure.”

He paused waiting until Patrick nodded that they weren’t able to be heard.

“They’re not happy with the lack of information we’re able to give just now,” Paul switched topics, “A couple of the others weren’t too sure about it but a Detective Shanahan spoke up and reminded them why we had to keep things so secret.”

“Good,” Patrick sighed, “I just want this to be over so I can have my son back and know that both of them can start giving me grandchildren finally.”

Paul chuckled, “I’d better go. I’ve got other things to do. Not long to go.”

Patrick watched the younger man leave and hoped they all made it through.

*********************************************

Daniel sat watching the lights of hyperspace completely fascinated by the light show before him. He looked up as a mug of coffee was set before him.

“Thanks,” he said as Jack took the seat beside him.

“What are you thinking about?” Jack asked straight to the point as he leaned back and watched the lights go by.

“Sha’re.”

Jack chuckled, “Of course.”

Daniel tilted his head giving his friend a quick smile, “How many people get to fall for the love of their life twice?”

“Only you, Daniel,” Jack clapped him on the shoulder.

Daniel took a long drink of his coffee leaning back in his chair, “I’m worried about her. She shows this strong face to everyone but me and I don’t know how she’ll cope if she doesn’t have that release.”

“Jeannie is there,” Jack reminded his friend, “And Tali, they’ve become friends. She won’t be alone.”

“When I remember what life was like before I met her,” Daniel said, “Something I got a taste of recently. I can’t believe how lucky I am and how different life is.”

Looking over at his friend Daniel smiled slightly, “Who’d have thought all those years ago we’d be flying in a spaceship to free the Earth from aliens?”

Jack gave a soft shrug, “Honestly?”

“Jack!”

“Of course I didn’t,” he chuckled, “But if anyone can do it we can. You just have to look at what we’ve done in the past few years, Daniel. We’re going to win this.”


John wandered into the mess, seeing Laura quickly kiss Rodney before she headed in the opposite direction. John moved to join his friend and dropped into the seat beside him.

“It’s not enough that I have to share a room with you,” Rodney said, “Now you’re here to annoy me at lunch too.”

“It isn’t my fault we’ve been forced to share a room,” John told him as he leaned back in the chair, “Trust me, you’re no picnic to live with. Has anyone told you that you talk in your sleep? I’m surprised Laura hasn’t strangled you yet?”

Rodney rolled his eyes, “Look, flyboy. I have never heard anyone snore like you. It’s like trying to sleep in the same room as a buzz-saw.”

“So,” John chuckled as he quickly changed the subject, “What’s Laura up to? She’s finished her shift for the day.”

“Margee is giving her some training,” Rodney replied, a slight frown creasing his brow, “The Cat woman seems quite interested in her for some reason.”

John chuckled again, “I’m betting it’s not that she’s got some bizarre interest in Laura, it’s just Laura has this ability to make friends with almost anyone. You have to have noticed this before.”

Rodney shrugged, “It never really occurred to me.”

“She managed to befriend you,” John smirked before darting away to talk to Teal’c as Rodney turned on him.


“We’re about an hour away from where they’ll be able to detect the signal,” Daniel said to Sha’re, “I wanted to let you know that we’re ready to do this. How’re things in Atlantis?”

Sha’re smiled at him, “We are all going about our business as usual. Mel is missing you.”

“I’m missing him too,” Daniel replied, he reached out to touch her cheek stopping just short so his hand didn’t go through the hologram he was seeing, “And you. Jack is not the best room-mate to have.”

Sha’re laughed, “I thought you would be used to it after all the missions you went on together.”

Daniel sighed, knowing they were trying to keep things light. Glancing over to where the Asgard working the controls sat Daniel let out a long breath.

“Hermiod is reminding me I have to finish soon,” Daniel told her, “We’re about to cross the line where this transmission will be picked up by the Andurians. The only one I could talk to secretly is Mel and I don’t think he’d be able to pass on the message.”

Sha’re laughed softly, “Be careful, my love. And once you have won…”

“We’ll call,” he promised, “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Sha’re smiled at him as the Asgard terminated the signal.

As she faded away Daniel sighed and turned to Hermiod, “Thank you.”

The Asgard nodded as Daniel headed away.

*********************************************

“Your mind is like a hand,” Margee told the young woman sitting there, “Imagine your hand stretching out and use it to pick up the cup.”

Cassie took a deep breath looking at her mother and Laura who were sitting with her. Rolling her shoulders she sat up a little straighter and focussed on the green cup sitting on the table across from her. She knew that she was integral to the plan to remove Carter’s disguise and although she seemed to be able to move things she didn’t have enough control over her ability. Margee’s people were telepathic and when she learned of Cassie’s gift had offered to train the young woman a little more. The past three days had been more productive than the months training with Jack had thanks to Margee’s own abilities.

Cassie smothered the urge to squeal with delight as the cup moved towards her without the usual shudder that had accompanied everything she’d ever moved with her mind.

“Well done,” Margee told her, “Now, for Dr Jackson’s plan to work you need to be able to disrupt the connection Dr Carter will be using to ensure her disguise. You will not be able to see it so we shall work on that next.”

Cassie nodded, “Sounds great.”


“Okay,” Jack said as he, Daniel and John sat in the small room he was using as an office, “Once we’ve showed her for what she is then she’s going to shut down all transporters. Daniel, I want you in the main building and find whatever is in the block we have no info on. John, you Rodney and Laura have to get the transporters up and running as fast as you can.”

“My father is going to be there when we reveal her,” John reminded Jack, “I need to make sure he’s safe.”

Jack frowned before nodding, “Sure. As soon as you’ve got him to safety you join the other two.”

John nodded looking relieved.

The three men fell into silence for a few minutes as they contemplated the job ahead of them, of what they’d lost and what they still had to lose if this didn’t go as planned.

“Enough,” Daniel spoke up first, “We’ve not lost and we’re not going to. We need to be the upbeat ones for everyone else so both of you remember that annoying bravado thing you both do when you pretend you know what you’re doing and do that.”

John and Jack looked at one another before the latter turned to his best friend, “You’re meant to be a linguist, Danny. Couldn’t you have found a better way to put that?”

“It’s been a long day,” Daniel retorted before he stood, “Who wants food?”


They stood on the bridge of the ship staring out at the sphere before them, they were home.

Earth sat in the main window, looking peaceful until the Andurian satellite appeared reminding them why they were looking down upon their homeworld in this ship. In two hours they were about to begin the fight to win it back. Jack looked around at the others standing there with him. Daniel had the slight smile on his face letting Jack know he was thinking about Sha’re, Teal’c was just to one side the blank look on his face giving no idea of what he was thinking about, Rodney had his arm wrapped around his fiancé’s waist while Laura leaned against his shoulder and finally John was at Jack’s side arms crossed eyes filled with determination.

This was his team to lead the fight and with them, Jack knew they were going to win.